What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rick Gosselin Mock Drafts no more (1 Viewer)

coolnerd

Footballguy
I can't find the link at the moment, but a couple of weeks back Rick Gosselin and the Dallas Morning News announced that he would no longer be doing extenisve draft coverage including his top 100 lists and mock drafts. he was promoted to fulltime columnist in the past year and does not have the time to devote to both complete draft coverage and proper columnist duties.

OH man that sucks. After last year, I swore I would not look at any other Mocks. The dude was money in the bank.

WTH?????? I heard him saying he's doing it on the Norm show a few months back!!! Wow!!

With no disrespect aimed at him, his final mock was so good that I have to believe it's not as "simple" as him just having a multitude of amazing sources. Hopefully someone else emerges as the king that he was.

With no disrespect aimed at him, his final mock was so good that I have to believe it's not as "simple" as him just having a multitude of amazing sources. Hopefully someone else emerges as the king that he was.
Did you say that right?I'm of the belief that it WAS all sources. (Fabulous either way! :thumbup: )

'BusterTBronco said:
Gosselin is the only draft "expert" I know of who would wait until the last possible minute to release his mock draft and top 100 list. The guy is flat out paranoid that someone else would "steal" his material. He really needs to get over himself. What he does is not that important.
You should take up his cause. Not like the draft hasn't evolved into a multimillion dollar industry

Did you say that right?I'm of the belief that it WAS all sources. (Fabulous either way! :thumbup: )
Gosselin's accuracy was because his final mock and top 100 was ALL from sources. He did not break down tape like a self-made scout (not meaning to take a shot at the Blooms and Waldmans of the world). Rick rarely watched any regular season college fotball. He literally put together the opinions of as many NFL sources as possible and he freely admitted this year after year. BTW, since I get to hear his weekly radio show, I will update is there is some change of heart.

Also, he is at the combine, but i am expecting his coverage to be Cowboyscentric.

'BusterTBronco said:
Gosselin is the only draft "expert" I know of who would wait until the last possible minute to release his mock draft and top 100 list. The guy is flat out paranoid that someone else would "steal" his material. He really needs to get over himself. What he does is not that important.
He actually did several mocks IIRC but his last one was the one he used all his sources on. He wanted it to be accurate, so he waited until the last minute to use up to date info.I don't think it was ego, I never heard HIM banging his chest about how accurate it was.

I can't find the link at the moment, but a couple of weeks back Rick Gosselin and the Dallas Morning News announced that he would no longer be doing extenisve draft coverage including his top 100 lists and mock drafts. he was promoted to fulltime columnist in the past year and does not have the time to devote to both complete draft coverage and proper columnist duties.
I heard him tell Norm he wasn't going to be working the draft with him anymore, but no more coverage at all; no mocks? That's too bad.

Any updates to this?
Gosselin has not done any extensive draft coverage...He has relayed a few notes from a source here and there, but there is no mock or top 100 coming.Myock is positioning himself as being the guy who will only do one mock draft released the night before the draft.

Here's a ranking of the most accurate mock's. Too bad Gosselin is out. Can't believe Kiper has the 3rd best 5yr. average.http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/mockdraftscoring.shtml
Kiper is crazy annoying, but he is pretty good at what he does. It almost physically pains me to type those words, but his track record is solid.

While I was holding out hope that it wasn't true, Gosselin addressed the question in an on-line chat on Monday:

11:25 [Comment From BillyBilly: ]

Rick I know your enjoying your new assignments at the DMN but I am sure I speak for many that we really miss your Mock draft. Yours was way better than many of the "so called Experts " Any chance you go back to doing it again in the future?

Monday April 23, 2012 11:25 Billy

11:28 Rick Gosselin: I'm a columnist now and the Dallas Morning News wants me to focus on my columns, not the draft. So there are no future plans for me to return to the draft. I had a great 20-year run working the draft. I tell folks I gave up the best job in America for a promotion -- and the draft was a big part in why I felt I had the best job in any newspaper sports section.

Link: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/headlines/20120423-chat-replay-rick-gosselin-answers-your-nfl-draft-and-other-sports-related-questions.ece

Hopefully Goose handed down his black book of NFL sources to his successor, Rainer Sabin. Sabin's latest mock draft is here: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20120422-sportsday-s-2012-mock-draft-rainer-sabin-breaks-down-all-32-first-round-picks.ece

'Greg Russell said:
Gosselin's mock drafts probably brought more page hits to the paper than his column will.
So true. No one's checking in to see Goose's thoughts on the Dallas Stars...

Looks like it's Jason Boris' crown if he wants it.
Does anyone know where I can find mock drafts from him? I did a search and the only thing that pops up is the Huddle's ratings article.Edit: as far as I can tell, he simply posts an article on the day of the draft. Pretty refreshing (compared to the blowhards that insist on posting multiple iterations in the weeks leading up to the draft).

Here's last year's article: http://www.tnonline.com/2011/apr/28/panthers-are-clock

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it's Jason Boris' crown if he wants it.
Does anyone know where I can find mock drafts from him? I did a search and the only thing that pops up is the Huddle's ratings article.Edit: as far as I can tell, he simply posts an article on the day of the draft. Pretty refreshing (compared to the blowhards that insist on posting multiple iterations in the weeks leading up to the draft).

Here's last year's article: http://www.tnonline.com/2011/apr/28/panthers-are-clock
Here it is (Boris')
The 2012 NFL Draft is now just hours away, and make no mistake about it, today is a great day to be a football fan. It's even a greater day to be a draftnik! This year's draft is filled with a few certainties and a lot of unpredictability. Yes, we know the Colts are selecting Andrew Luck with the first overall pick in the Draft. Yes, we know the Redskins gave up a king's ransom to trade up to the second spot and will be selecting Robert Griffin III. But then what? Hopefully, I can shed some light on that subject with the release of my final mock draft, which has become an annual staple of the TIMES NEWS for the past 12 years.

The draft will get interesting right away as the Vikings are a wild card with the third pick that can set the tone for the rest of the Top 10. After the consensus six blue chip prospects are off the board, then the draft will really get unpredictable, as the Jaguars can do anything and everything as they sit there with the seventh pick (need I remind you all of the Tyson Alualu pick in 2010). I try not to predict trades in my mock draft, as it only takes one to change the entire landscape of the first round. Yet, for the first time ever, I've included two trades in my top seven picks (I guess you can say I'm going "all in"). Either I'm extremely smart or extremely crazy (I'd bet on the latter), but I guess only time will tell.

As in previous years, I will once again be represented in The Huddle Report's esteemed annual mock draft contest (www.huddlereport.com). The contest is by invitation only and scores the mock drafts of the most reputable and widely-published draft resources in the world. These scores have become the standard by which draft publications, websites and media personnel are measured. Last year my final mock draft finished second out of 121 publications, and over the last five years, my mock drafts rank second for overall accuracy (behind only Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News). For those keeping track, mock drafts are scored under the following criteria: 1 point for each player placed in the first round and 2 points for players matched to the correct team that picks them.

The time for second-guessing is now over. The Indianapolis Colts are now on the clock so let's get to the picks (before I change my mind again):

1. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS - Andrew Luck (QB, Stanford)

For Indianapolis, I guess it's better to be "luck"y than good. The Colts sure know when it's time to have a down season, and this year, they were the winners of the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes. Luck is considered by many to be the best quarterback prospect to be drafted since Peyton Manning and John Elway. Ironically enough, the Colts drafted both Manning and Elway with the #1 overall pick in 1998 and 1983 respectively. There won't be any drama to kick off Draft Day...Luck to the Colts is a done deal.

2. WASHINGTON REDSKINS (from St. Louis) - Robert Griffin III (QB, Baylor)

The Redskins targetted RG3 with this pick for months and they certainly paid the price to make sure they got their guy. Washington gave up a king's ransom by trading three first round picks and a second round pick to the Rams to move up four spots for the Heisman Trophy winner. Now the only question that remains is if they gave up too much, but if you ask me, at the end of the day it's impossible to overpay for a stud quarterback that will be the face of your franchise for the next decade.

3. MINNESOTA VIKINGS - Morris Claiborne (CB, LSU)

This is where the draft will start to get interesting, as the Vikings pick will have huge implications on the rest of the Top 10. The obvious pick here - and the right one - is for the Vikings to draft offensive tackle Matt Kalil; however, GM Rick Spielman has been sending out mixed signals that they might prefer to either trade down or select cornerback Morris Claiborne. Clailborne definitely fill a needs for a team that must play Green Bay and Detroit twice a year, but when you spend the #12 overall pick last year on Christian Ponder, you need to protect your investment. This is just a hunch, but I'm thinking Minnesota opts for Claiborne.

4. CLEVELAND BROWNS - Trent Richardson (RB, Alabama)

Cleveland tried to resurrect its offense by trading up for Robert Griffin III, but its plans were foiled by the Redskins. Now, the Browns (who have 13 picks in the draft), need to start rebuilding by selecting from a trio of playmakers which include running back Trent Richardson, wide receiver Justin Blackmon and quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Richardson is the surest thing and GM Mike Holmgren didn't seem to do so bad when he went to the Super Bowl with the Seahawks when he relied on a first round running back from Alabama (Shaun Alexander) to carry his offense.

5. * TRADE * BUFFALO BILLS (from Tampa Bay) - Matt Kalil (OT, USC)

When Minnesota decided to take Morris Claiborne and Cleveland followed by taking Trent Richardson, that left the Buccaneers stuck between a rock and a hard place. Matt Kalil is the best player available, but he doesn't really fulfill an immediate need. Cue the trade card! One teams that needs an stud left tackle more than any team in this draft is the Buffalo Bills who are sitting at the tenth pick. Tampa Bay only has six picks in the draft, so if they can the Bills' tenth pick and their second round pick, that could be enough to seal a deal. It makes sense for both teams, plus I have a feeling Tampa Bay may like who might still be there at #10. If the Bills can't trade up, they may trade down as I don't think there's another tackle worth selecting in the top 10.

6. ST. LOUIS RAMS (from Washington) - Justin Blackmon (WR, Oklahoma State)

Plain and simple, St. Louis needs to surround Sam Bradford with weapons (especially after Brandon Lloyd signed with New England during the offseason), and selecting Justin Blackmon here should be a no-brainer. However, there have been some rumblings over the past few days that St. Louis has defensive tackle Fletcher Cox on its radar, and my opt to defy logic and select the interior pass rusher from Mississippi State. If so, the Rams will gain a great player at the expense of ruining Bradford's career.

7. *TRADE * PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (from Jacksonville) - Fletcher Cox (DT, Mississippi State)

If the first six picks go chalk, the number seven selection becomes very interesting because the Jaguars are one of the top candidates to trade down, at which point they can address any number of needs. However, who would be willing to move up? With two second round picks, the Eagles could be a prime trading partner, as they are said to covet Fletcher Cox. If Justin Blackmon slips to the Jaguars, they'll select him. If not, they'll be working the phones and hopefully, for the sake of this mock draft, the Eagles are on the other end ready to consumate a deal. Remember, Andy Reid loves drafting defensive linemen.

8. MIAMI DOLPHINS - Ryan Tannehill (QB, Texas A&M)

The Dolphins' quarterback situation is a mess and this is a chance to fix it. They struck out in trying to land Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn in the offseason and they were forced to settle on David Garrard as a stop-gap solution to their problems. Owner Stephen Ross is pushing hard for Tannehill and Mike Sherman (Tannehill's former college coach at Texas A&M) is now the offensive coordinator in Miami. The stars seem to be aligning, but keep in mind this is the Dolphins wer're talking about? If they bypass Tannehill, it'll most likely be for a pass rusher.

9. CAROLINA PANTHERS - Quinton Coples (DE, North Carolina)

The Panthers are another team that would love nothing more than to trade down a few spots, but as with the Jaguars two picks earlier, it takes two to tango. A lof of mocks have Fletcher Cox here, but I really don't think the Panthers will go defensive tackle after spending two third round picks on the position last year. With that being said, I think this pick comes down to the local product in Coples or linebacker Luke Kuechly. The Panthers front office paid a last minute visit to Coples on Monday, which I think speaks volumes.

10. *TRADE * TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS (from Buffalo) - Luke Kuechly (ILB, Boston College)

Tampa Bay lands the tenth overall selection by trading picks with the Buffalo Bills and picks up an additional early round pick in the process. I really hate predicting trades in a mock draft because it could really screw things up, but I just think this makes too much sense (providing Minnesota doesn't screw me over and take Kalil for themselves). As much as I think Tampa Bay loves Morris Claiborne and Trent Richardson, I have a sneaky suspicion they also love Luke Kuechly. He is a Greg Schiano type of player and can be an impact player in the middle of the Buccaneers' defense for years to come.

11. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS - David DeCastro (OG, Stanford)

Without a doubt, the Chiefs' biggest need is at nose tackle, but they don't seem to have high grades on Dontari Poe. Therefore, I think it's a two-horse race between Luke Kuechly and David DeCastro. Kuechly would definitely be an upgrade as an inside linebacker in Kansas City's 3-4 scheme, but I seem him more as a luxury than as a necessity. Offensive guards usually don't go this high, but Kansas City needs to improve the interior of its offensive line and DeCastro is being touted as the next Steve Hutchinson.

12. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - Dontari Poe (DT, Memphis)

The Seahawks may be hoping for Coples or Kuechly to fall to them, but you have to think the big physical freak from Memphis will at least be a little intriguing to head coach Pete Carroll. While Poe may not be a popular here, I just can't help but think he's Pete's Carroll's type of player. We was the talk of the Combine and will can provide Seattle with a legitimate nose tackle to transition to 3-4 sets. Last year, Carroll reached for James Carpenter in the first round and I don't think he'll have an issue reaching for Poe either.

13. ARIZONA CARDINALS - Michael Floyd (WR, Notre Dame)

The Cardinals definitely need to address their offensive line to help protect Kevin Kolb and Riley Reiff or Cordy Glenn could be just what the doctor ordered. However, assistance can also come in the form of a wide receiver and Larry Fitzgerald is giving Floyd his full endorsement and is urging the Cardinals brass to select him with this pick. Floyd (who offers a similar skill set) will help open up the field for Fitzgerald just like Anquan Boldin used to do.

14. DALLAS COWBOYS - Mark Barron (S, Alabama)

I don't think it's much of a secret to anyone that the Cowboys have been targeting Mark Barron with this pick, and I'm sure they'll be collectively holding their breath for the first hour or two of the draft hoping he falls to them. There has been talk about teams trading up in the first round for a shot at the Alabama star, but if he's here, he's a no-brainer. Should he be off the board, the Cowboys will probably turn their attention to upgrading their front seven with a defensive tackle or a passing rushing end/linebacker.

15. * TRADE * JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS (from Philadelphia) - Stephon Gilmore (CB, South Carolina)

If Jacksonville is able to trade out of the seventh pick, which I have them doing with the Eagles, I believe they'll be looking to shore up their defense with either cornerback Stephon Gilmore or defensive end Melvin Ingram. The Jaguars were really decimated in their secondary last year and there's been a lot of talk over the past 48 hours that they really love Gilmore. In this case, they move down out of the top 10 and get great value at a huge need. Jacksonville will really be a major player that determines how the top half of the first round will unfold.

16. NEW YORK JETS - Melvin Ingram (DE/OLB, South Carolina)

The Jets would probably jump at the chance to land Ingram, but it's tough to say if they'll have to trade up to get him or if he'll fall into their laps. Rex Ryan's defense was a big disappointment last year, so it may be time to bring in an outside linebacker that can be a threat off the edge. Ingram played defensive end in college, but would transition nicely into Ryan's 3-4 scheme as an outside backer. Courtney Upshaw from Alabama also profiles as a similar player that would fit right in with the Jets.

17. CINCINNATI BENGALS (from Oakland) - Courtney Upshaw (DE/OLB, Alabama)

As the youngest team in the AFC, Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown have this team moving in the right direction and two first round picks will only help their cause. Cincinnati doesn't have many glaring holes as they can simply let the draft come to them. For the first time in four years, I don't really have a clear indication on who the Bengals are going to pick, although two things I do know is that they love drafting out of the SEC and they love Upshaw. Who Dey!

18. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS - Chandler Jones (DE, Syracuse)

No player has been rising up draft boards in the days leading up to the draft faster than Syracuse's Chandler Jones. Jones is the brother of UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon "Bones" Jones, so you know he comes from a solid pedigree. Jones is somewhat raw as a prospect, but he has that "it" factor that teams look for in an outside linebacker. Besides, GM A.J. Smith has been known to gamble on players similar to Jones in past drafts (Shawne Merriman and Larry English being two prime examples).

19. CHICAGO BEARS - Whitney Mercilus (DE, Illinois)

All indications are that the Bears will draft the best defensive lineman available with this pick. When you play Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford twice a year, getting to the quarterback needs to be a priority. Chicago already has Julius Peppers on one side, but Mercilus would be a nice complimentary piece on the other end of the line. Mercilus is a local product that can can simply be left loose in passing situations after racking up 16 sacks for Illinois last season.

20. TENNESSEE TITANS - Dre Kirkpatrick (CB, Alabama)

Defensive end was Tennessee's most pressing need this offseason, but I suspect the signing of Kamerion Wimbley has helped fill that void enough that the Titans will look elsewhere in the first round. Certainly they could stand to still upgrade the defensive line, but after losing Cortland Finnegan in free agency, I have to think that cornerback has risen to the top of their wish list. Unless they wanted to reach for Janoris Jenkins (and all his baggage), Kirkpatrick is the last of the first round cornerbacks left for the taking.

21. CINCINNATI BENGALS - Stephen Hill (WR, Georgia Tech)

With Jerome Simpson signing with the Vikings and Andre Caldwell going to Denver, perhaps the biggest need the Bengals must fill in this draft is an outside wide receiver to pair with A.J. Green. While Michael Floyd will probably be gone by the time the Bengals pick, two options that might fall into their lap are Stephen Hill and Kendall Wright. I think Wright might be a little undersized for the Bengals liking but Hill is a beast at 6-4 that runs a 4.3 40. While Hill was a one-trick pony at Georgia Tech, if he can transition his talents to the NFL, Hill and Green on the same field will be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

22. CLEVELAND BROWNS (from Atlanta) - Kendall Wright (WR, Baylor)

I think the game plan for Cleveland is to come out of the first round with playmakers at running back and wide receiver. Assuming they take Richardson with their earlier pick, I believe they'll look to grab the best available receiver left on the board. The Browns also seem to like quarterback Brandon Weeden, although I think he's more of a second round option than a first rounder (although I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland called his name in the first round either). With Hill off the board, Wright seems to be the "right" pick for a rejuvenated Cleveland offense.

23. DETROIT LIONS - Cordy Glenn (OT/OG, Georgia)

Detroit can go one of two ways with this pick - cornerback or offensive line. With the top three corners already off the board, the Lions should look to beef up their O-line. No one offers more beef in the trenches than Georgia's Cordy Glenn (6-5, 345). Detroit needs to keep Matthew Stafford upright (and healthy) and adding Glenn will help those efforts. After playing left tackle his final year at Georgia, Glenn's best first might be guard or right tackle in the pros, but either way, he's a great fit for the Lions.

24. PITTSBURGH STEELERS - Dont'a Hightower (ILB, Alabama)

Hightower and the Steelers are a perfect match. Pittsburgh needs to get younger in its front seven and Hightower will be able to fill the shoes of recently released linebacker James Farrior. Hightower is a physical in-the-box defender and can slide right in next to Lawrence Timmons. The Steelers usually go for the best player available and if Hightower is there, you would think he has to be the pick. If not, perhaps the Steelers can look for offensive line help or else a replacement for the aging Casey Hamption at nose tackle (perhaps Dontari Poe if he falls this far).

25. DENVER BRONCOS - Michael Brockers (DT, LSU)

The Broncos need to address their defensive line early in the draft because they have absolutely nothing at the defensive tackle position. The question now becomes which defensive tackle to take? Michael Brockers, Jerel Worthy, Devon Still and even Kendall Reyes will up be up for consideration, but it'll be hard for John Elway to pass on Brockers, who has more upside and the potential to be a dangerous interior pass rusher once he gets his feet wet at the NFL level.

26. HOUSTON TEXANS - Riley Reiff (OT, Iowa)

A lot of mock drafts have Houston taking a wide receiver here, but I just don't think it's going to happen. Offensive tackle and a rush linebacker would seem to be the top needs for the Texans. Much like fellow Hawkeye Bryan Bulaga several years ago, Reiff could be headed for a draft day free fall due to his smaller stature, but if he falls into the 20's, I don't think Houston would hesitate to snatch him up. Houston's biggest need is on the right side of its offensive line, and while Reiff played left tackle in college (in a zone blocking scheme nonetheless), many think he'd make a better right tackle in the pros.

27. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (from New Orleans) - Shea McClellin (OLB, Boise State)

With two first round picks, no one really knows what the Patriots are going to do, but I have to think defense is of the utmost priority. New England has needs all over the defensive side of the ball, but I believe they'll be keying in guys that can get after the passer. Shea McClellin is rising up draft boards and his versatility could appeal to Bill Belichick by reminding him of former Patriots linebackers Teddy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel. Nick Perry is a smiliar player to McClellin and would be a logical fit for the Patriots hybrid scheme as well.

28. GREEN BAY PACKERS - Nick Perry (DE/OLB, USC)

Green Bay has one of the most dynamic outside linebackers in the league in Clay Matthews, but an upgrade is definitely needed on the other side. Ted Thompson already cashed in with Matthews, so why not go back to the USC program to try to strike gold a second time. Perry is a great edge rusher that will fit in nicely in Green Bay's 3-4 scheme. With news of a neck injury ending Nick Collins' Packers career, safety is also a pressing need and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Green Bay pull the trigger on Notre Dame's Harrison Smith.

29. BALTIMORE RAVENS - Kevin Zeitler (OG, Wisconsin)

This pick could very well come down to a Wisconsin offensive lineman - guard Kevin Zeitler or center Peter Konz. Both are areas of need for the Ravens, as left guard Ben Grubbs left in free agency and center Matt Birk (36) is at the tail end of his career. The deciding point for me is that Zeitler is more of a mauler, which Baltimore likes at guard, while Konz (the best center in the draft) is more of a smart finesse player. I've also heard that Baltimore loves Shea McClellin and Dont'a Hightower, so if either linebacker slips, I would think the Ravens would seriously consider them here.

30. SAN FRANCISCO 49'ERS - Coby Fleener (TE, Stanford)

If wide receiver Stephan Hill somehow slips to this pick, I think the 49'ers pounce. If not, I think they could address their right guard position with either Midwestern State's Amini Silatolu (who was my original pick in this slot) or Kevin Zeitler. However, how sweet would it be if Jim Harbaugh when back to his roots and drafted Stanford tight end Coby Fleener? Harbaugh's bread and butter in Palo Alto was using multiple tight end sets and pairing Fleener with Vernon Davis would be a matchup nightmare.

31. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - Harrison Smith (S, Notre Dame)

Does anyone think that the Patriots will actually keep this pick? I sure don't. No one in the league likes to wheel and deal draft picks as much as Bill Belichick and with two first rounders, this just makes too much sense (it wouldn't surprise me if Cleveland traded back in the first round for Brandon Weeden). If the Patriots are stuck making a pick here, I would think it would come down to the best defensive player available on their board that fills a glaring need. The Patriots need upgrades in the secondary, especially a tag team partner for strong safety Patrick Chung. Smith is a smart player that can slide in at free safety and help out immediately in pass coverage.

32. NEW YORK GIANTS - Doug Martin (RB, Boise State)

I've seen a lot of mock drafts that have Martin going to the Giants with this pick. However, most of them were referring to Stanford offensive tackle Jonathan Martin. While it wouldn't surprise me to see the Giants grab an offensive tackle, I'll look in another direction with Boise State running back Doug Martin. New York lost Brandon Jacobs this offeseason and Ahmad Bradshaw is extremely injury prone. Reinforcements are definitely needed and Doug Martin is basically Race Rice 2.0. Can't go wrong there.

With apologies to whoever that guy is, it wasn't only the overall success with the mock that made Gosselin so impressive...but the individual player calls that no one else came close to. Top of my head last year, having Ponder way up, Prince way down, Bowers out of the 1st round, Fairley sliding, etc.

'BusterTBronco said:
Rick who? Bob McGinn is the new king of draft gurus.

Best Top 100 Board

Second Best Mock Draft
McGinn has been doing this for many years now for subscribers to the Packer insider feature at the Milwaukee JS online, but it was opened up to the public this year for the first time. He doesn't care much about his mock - the main thing is the reams and reams of analysis he provides. His schtick is that none of it is his opinion - it is all derived from a huge network of scouts, coaches, GM's and other actual, current NFL personnel guys he works with and quotes anonymously.Here's an example - this is his coverage for the DL:

Rating the NFL draft prospects: Defensive linemen

April 23, 2012

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top defensive linemen in the next this week. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

DEFENSIVE ENDS

Name School HT. WT. 40-Yd. Dash Rd.

1. QUINTON COPLES North Carolina 6-5½ 281 4.71 1

Started 26 of 50 games, finishing with 144 tackles (40½ for loss) and 24 sacks. Julius Peppers had 30½ sacks for the Tar Heels from 1999-'01. "He's not Peppers," one scout said. "Peppers is an athletic freak. But last year (2010), he played hard." That didn't happen in 2011, when Coples seemed almost to pout after being put on the left side before the season after having most of his success on the other side the year before. "You talk about lazy," another scout said. "At the Senior Bowl nobody could (expletive) block him. He's such a smooth, fluid guy. Sometimes it comes so easy to him. Maybe he gets bored. But he underachieved this year because he looked at what all those knuckleheads did down there. (Robert) Quinn. (Marvin) Austin. (Greg) Little. He pulled off." Fits DE or DT in any scheme. Scored 14 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. Hails from Kinston, N.C. "There's something missing," a third scout said. "I see him very much one speed. The way he moved at the combine. There were a lot of guys in his neighborhood on the drills. He didn’t put forth the full effort. He fits the requisite, but I just don’t know which buttons you have to push to get this guy going.”

2. WHITNEY MERCILUS Illinois 6-3½ 257 4.68 1-2

One-year wonder with NCAA-leading 16 sacks and nine forced fumbles in 2011. "He's a pass rusher," said Don Gregory, Carolina's director of college scouting. "He's got size, speed and athleticism, and he's strong. People keep saying he's a 3-4 rush guy, but he's got the size to put his hand down and be a very good pass rusher out of the 4-3." Fourth-year junior from Akron, Ohio. Parents are Haitian immigrants. "He's still got a ways to go, but you can depend on him," one scout said. "Overall, he might be the most complete player in terms of athlete, length, good motor, being a good guy." Started 14 of 36 games, finishing with 76 tackles (16½ for loss) and 16½ sacks. Has never played in a two-point stance but appeared agile in workouts. "He had all that production but it's misleading," another scout said. "Those 16 sacks are like the 16 plays he made. It's not like he's constantly just wreaking havoc. He's overrated."

3. NICK PERRY Southern California 6-2½ 270 4.58 1-2

Added 15 to 20 pounds in the last year and many teams now view him as a 4-3 DE. "He's got some pop in his body, that explosiveness that you look for," one scout said. "Got a lot of potential as a rusher. If you're betting on the come with any of these (rushers), this would be the guy to do it with. From what I know, he's an OK kid." Came out of inner city Detroit, where he attended two high schools. "Clay Matthews played off the line and this guy plays down on the line," another scout said. "He's tall and linear built. Yeah, he can rush the passer. He wore out that Stanford junior (LT Jonathan Martin)." Finished with 103 tackles (29½ for loss) and 21½ sacks, including 13½ in '11. "He's the kid from Ohio State (Vernon Gholston)," a third scout said. "Buyer beware there. He's a good athlete that, let's just say, is a little soft."

4. CHANDLER JONES Syracuse 6-5½ 258 4.81 1-2

Generally thought to be best-suited for DE in a 4-3. Some scouts feel he could stand up as a 3-4 OLB, while others see his long arms (35½) and think he could bulk up and be a 3-4 DE. "He's a very long, gangly, play-hard, strong guy," one scout said. "Good athlete. He may not be a tremendous pass rusher, but he's going to be a good D-end. He plays hard and is always around the ball." Has a brother (Arthur) playing DE for the Ravens and another (Jon, nicknamed "Bones") who is a mixed martial arts champion. "If he made it out of the second round I'd be shocked and selling my house to try to trade up in the third," another scout said. "He's too big and too long to stand up in a 3-4. Good effort player. Not lightning fast, but fast enough. Naturally strong. Kind of got a basketball player build and athleticism." Fourth-year junior from Endicott, N.Y. Played 32 games (28 starts), finishing with 147 tackles (27 for loss) and 10 sacks.

5. VINNY CURRY Marshall 6-3 264 4.72 1-2

Had a very tough family life growing up on the East Coast. Hails from Neptune, N.J. "Some of the other guys got all the workout numbers and are super gifted," one scout said. "This guy is not that. But he is a football player. He's physical, tough. Plays fast." Generally playing DE, he started 38 of 45 games and had 239 tackles (49 for loss) and 26½ sacks. Has a major learning disability but found ways to become a real success story in the classroom. "It's an incredible story," another scout said. "An aunt stepped in and kind of saved the day for him. He's a neat kid, he really is." Still, some teams think asking him to stand up might be too much of a mental challenge. "He can get you six to 10 sacks a year," a third scout said. "Not athletic enough to be a first-rounder."

6. TYRONE CRAWFORD Boise State 6-4 279 4.82 2

Played as a prep in Windsor, Ontario. "You don't see many Canadian kids come ready to play collegiately," one scout said. "This guy probably has more 'get-better' in him. Long, kind of thinnish guy. He's a 4-3 D-end who has enough natural strength to hold the point, but he doesn't really overpower the tackle. He's a really smart football player and a good kid." Former junior-college player who started 11of 25 games in Boise, finishing with 76 tackles (27 for loss) and 13½ sacks. "He's a good, solid, 4-3 defensive end," another scout said. "He's got strength, motor, instinct, up side. He's not going to be a dynamic pass rusher, but he will play."

7. BRUCE IRVIN West Virginia 6-3 246 4.45 2-3

Some say he's the best pass rusher in the draft. "He's the one that's the most eye-catching," Atlanta GM Thomas Dimitroff said. "He is the most talented bending around the corner, stopping, starting, recovering. But you have to have a home for him and understand his size. It'll be interesting to see who takes a chance on him." Grew up in Atlanta, homeless at times, in trouble with the law and a product of the streets. Hurt himself with an arrest March 17 for destruction of property. "He is the best pass rusher in the draft," one scout said. "But I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole." Despite his size, he played inside in a 3-3-5 stack defense but figures more as a designated pass rusher in the NFL, at least early. "To me, he's just a mess," a third scout said. "But the kid is the best athlete in the draft. He's had the background. I don't think he's very smart (Wonderlic of 12). You've just got to find a position for him." Compared by some teams to Robert Mathis and Von Miller. Started six of 26 games, finishing with 61 tackles (29 for loss) and 22½ sacks.

8. BILLY WINN Boise State 6-3½ 294 4.91 2-3

Never played up to his potential. "Pain in the (expletive)," one scout said. "Got all the talent in the world. Another underachiever. He won't go first round, but he's got first-round ability." Big and athletic enough to fit any scheme. Started 41 of 53 games, finishing with 131 tackles (35½ for loss) and 15½ sacks. Out of Las Vegas. "He has quick hands for getting off blockers, cutting up in the hole and making plays behind the line," another scout said. "He flashes. He’s plenty big enough and fast enough. Not much pass rush.” Besides intensity, his other drawbacks are short arms (32½) and small hands (9).

9. JARED CRICK Nebraska 6-4 277 4.93 3

Hard-charging, typical Cornhusker D-lineman. "War daddy," one scout said. "Plays with pride. He's got some stiffness, but he's got enough flexibility to squeeze and control and go laterally and make plays. What you see is what you get." Senior season ended abruptly in October by a torn pectoral muscle. Finished with 239 tackles (49 for loss) and 26½ sacks in 42 games (33 starts). Short arms (32). "He kind of leaves me cold," another scout said. "They had him at tackle and he's not a tackle. Just a try-hard guy." Hails from Cozad, Neb. Wonderlic of 28.

10. AKIEM HICKS Regina (Saskatchewan) 6-4½ 318 5.22 2-4

Grew up in Elk Grove, Calif., played at a junior college, enrolled at LSU and quickly ruled ineligible. Played two years against minimal competition at the Saskatchewan university and had a decent week at the East-West Game. "Kind of a big teddy bear," one scout said. "It's almost like he didn't think anybody was ever going to watch those Canadian tapes because he didn't do a whole lot. He's got potential, but how many guys are there in the history of the NFL from Regina came in and made a big splash?" Long, long arms (35 1/8), making him attractive to 3-4 teams. "He was playing against guys that are my size, OK?" said an aging scout. "He is impressive looking. If you take him among the top five defensive ends you're out of your mind. He goes third round. He plays at Regina. That's not the pro game. Do you understand?"

OTHERS: OTHERS: Trevor Guyton, California; Cam Johnson, Virginia; Jack Crawford, Penn State; Jake Bequette, Arkansas; Jamie Blatnick, Oklahoma State; Jonathan Massaquoi, Troy; Scott Solomon, Rice; Derrick Shelby, Utah; Jacquies Smith, Missouri; Chas Alecxih, Pittsburgh; Matt Conrath, Virginia; Jamaar Jarrett, Arizona State.

DEFENSIVE TACKLES

Name School HT. WT. 40-Yd. Dash Rd.

1. FLETCHER COX Mississippi State 6-4 299 4.80 1

Third-year junior. "He will be big enough and strong enough to be an inside guy," said Rick Reiprish, New Orleans' director of college scouting. "And he's probably as good an athlete as there is inside. Darn good player." Started out looking like a DE but with weight gain now projects as a 3-4 DE or 4-3 3-technique DT. "Good movement, good close, good hustle," Tampa Bay GM Mark Dominik said. "He's still got things he can improve upon, but there's a lot of things heading in the right direction. And he's a good kid." Finished with 114 tackles (24½ for loss) and 8½ sacks in 36 games (27 starts). Compared by one scout to the Vikings' Kevin Williams. "He's not a stout inside player," one scout said. “He gets knocked around. I don’t think he’s very instinctive.” Hails from Yazoo City, Miss.

2. MICHAEL BROCKERS Louisiana State 6-5 319 5.27 1

He doesn't rush the passer nearly as well as Cox but is a far more effective run stopper. "He's a monster against the run," one scout said. "Throws guys around." Redshirted in 2009, played off the bench in '10 and started in '11 before declaring two years early. "Next year he is easily a top-10 pick," another scout said. "If you get him 10 to 20 now you're going to be doing A-OK. He can play the run today. Difficult to move. Tremendous hand placement. He may not be factor as a rusher with the exception of pushing the pocket and getting his hands up, which is valuable." Has long arms (35) but, somewhat strangely, small hands (9 1/8). "You're hoping you're getting the old days when John Henderson, Albert Haynesworth and Marcus Stroud were in their prime," a third scout said. “That’s what you hope you’re drafting.” Finished with 79 tackles (11 for loss) and two sacks. Finished with 79 tackles (11 for loss) and two sacks. Hails from Houston.

3. DONTARI POE Memphis 6-3½ 339 4.91 1

Third-year junior. "Freaky athletic ability," San Diego GM A.J. Smith said. "I don't think that (bust) will be the case because he's got too much God-given ability. He will be a pro. He will be paid. Took some time off in a losing program. Then he made it even worse for himself when he blew away the combine. It just became more magnified. 'Oh my God, look at the gifts that this man has.' " Started 30 of 35 games on hideous defenses. "This guy never got moved off the football," one scout said. "Never. And that's what you want out of your nose tackle. Against doubles he just stands there and stonewalls. He also played the highest percentage of snaps by far of all the nose tackles. Like 77%." Labeled by one scout as a better third-down pass rusher than Green Bay's B.J. Raji. “There’s no fat at all,” he said. Still, his stats of 101 tackles (21½ for loss) and five sacks were minimal. “You watch the tape, he doesn’t do anything,” a third scout said. “He just hangs out. It’s weird. And the kid’s got it all. Good test score (25 on the Wonderlic). Good kid. He just doesn’t do anything.” Native of Memphis.

4. JEREL WORTHY Michigan State 6-2½ 305 5.05 1-2

Fourth-year junior that not a lot of teams seem to trust. "Got tons of ability," one scout said. "You just worry about guys that have ability and play lazy for most of their career. Because when they make money they're usually not very good. He's that kind of guy." Probably best suited as a NT or 4-3 3-technique. "He got the safety on Wisconsin," another scout said. "But you look during the course of the game, what does he do? He'd go shoot a gap and go running the wrong way. Doesn't chase. Doesn't hustle." Started 38 of 40 games, finishing with 107 tackles (27½ for loss) and 12 sacks. "Great kid," a third scout said. "Really good interview. But inconsistent. More flash than substance." From Huber Heights, Ohio. Added a fourth scout: “When you’re talking about a first-rounder you want total trust. I don’t. I could compare him Phil Taylor of the Browns. I think Taylor is a better player.”

5. KENDALL REYES Connecticut 6-4 299 4.85 1-2

Senior with 50 games and 42 starts. "He's got the athleticism, explosiveness and speed to get up field," Dimitroff said. "He was a productive play-making type guy who can shoot the gap and disrupt behind the line of scrimmage consistently." Fits both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes. "He may not ever be a Pro Bowl guy, but he will play for a long time and be a very, very steady pro," one scout said. "Really quick-footed. He can run. Not overpowering. He's a technician. Plays hard every down. More athleticism than power, but I definitely would not question his toughness at all." Finished with 142 tackles (32½ for loss) and 11 ½ sacks. “I know people love him, but I think he’s soft,” another scout said. “I’ve seen some games where he’s basically disappeared. He’s better running around guys than holding the point. Great kid. But when (expletive) gets tough he can’t finish it out.” From Nashua, N.H.

6. DEVON STILL Penn State 6-5 301 5.01 1-2

Started 25 of 41 games at DT. "He's a big, really strong player," one scout said. "He can hold the point against doubles. He's got some initial quickness and enough up-field speed, and he can bull-rush you even though you'd like him to get lower and bend his knees better. There's games he looks like Superman." His cousins, DE Art Still and LB Levon Kirkland, were NFL standouts. "Golly, he doesn't take plays off . . . he takes quarters off," another scout said. "Really inconsistent. He is so explosive when he does make plays. Everybody notices that. But he’s a better talent than Reyes.” Several scouts said they were concerned about Still because of what they claim is the Nittany Lions’ poor track record sending D-linemen to the NFL. “He’s got some penetration quickness and all that,” a third scout said. “But he plays so high and erect, they just knock his (expletive) around in there.” Finished with 113 tackles (32½ for loss) and 10½ sacks. Wonderlic of 25. Hails from Wilmington, Del.

7. ALAMEDA TA'AMU Washington 6-2½ 347 5.31 2-3

Played better at the Senior Bowl than during most of his 50 games (42 starts) for the Huskies. "I thought he was a big, lazy guy at Washington who just stands and watches," one scout said. "He was named after the town (outside Oakland)." Told reporters at the combine that he weighed 380 at age 17. "Very much like Paul Soliai of the Dolphins," another scout said. "A true space-eater. He's got a big (expletive) and great big thick thighs on him." Finished with 109 tackles (16 ½ for loss) and 7½ sacks. "I rarely question the toughness of those guys from the South Sea Islands," a third scout said. "But I don't see consistency of effort. If he gets stymied on the first move I don't see a second move. All he can do is make a pile. The great ones can get off the double. They’ll split it, spin out of it. They’ll back-door. And I didn’t like his body structure real well. His legs look heavy.” From Kent, Wash.

8. MIKE MARTIN Michigan 6-1½ 305 4.84 2-3

Described by one scout as "a modern-day version of Kelly Gregg." Shortest DT on the board but also one of the most tenacious. "He is one good football player" another scout said. "Strong. Bright guy. Got a lot of pizzazz to him." Won a state wrestling champion at Detroit Catholic Central High. "As good looking as he is and as athletic as he tests he just doesn't play with a lot of juice on a consistent basis or with a lot of power," a third scout said. "Not much of a pass rusher. He could probably be a two-down starter in a 4-3, not a 3-4." Finished with 172 tackles (25 for loss) and 10 sacks in 49 games (37 starts). "He will face 350-pound guys that are just going to fall on top of him," a fourth scout said. "You love his intensity. He's swelled up. He's run out of skin, that guy."

9. BRANDON THOMPSON Clemson 6-2 315 5.15 2-3

Four-year player and three-year starter out of Thomasville, Ga. "I think he's got to be a 3-technique, I really do," one scout said. "We've had these smaller nose tackles. They don't work out real well. I know, 300 pounds, it's big, but not at our level. Like him as a player." Few major programs seem to have more of a negative image than Clemson, which in turn affects Thompson and other Tiger prospects. "Those Clemson guys don't play very well in the NFL," another scout said. "Just a solid player." Finished with 208 tackles (22½ for loss) and 4½ sacks. "Coming from Clemson, I've got preconceived notions of their guys," a third scout said. "But he really was a bright guy to be around. His dad’s a principal and his mom’s a teacher. I thought he was strong and played hard.”

10. DEREK WOLFE Cincinnati 6-5 288 4.95 3

Fits as a DE in a 3-4 or 3-technique DT in a 4-3. "He's a big, big dude that plays hard," one scout said. "He's got surprising quickness and burst. He's going to be a good NFL player." Started 38 of 45 games at DT, finishing with 162 tackles (37 for loss) and 19½ sacks. "I thought initially he was just an overachiever, try-hard guy," another scout said. "But in the Senior Bowl he played well. As a 3-technique he was quick and active. The more I saw him the more I liked." From Lisbon, Ohio "I love watching him play," a third scout said. "Real good motor. Tough guy. Not athletically blessed like other guys."

OTHERS: Josh Chapman, Alabama; Loni Fangupo, Brigham Young; Mike Daniels, Iowa; Jaye Howard, Florida; Rennie Moore, Clemson; Vaughn Meatoga; Hawaii; DaJohn Harris, Southern California; Marcus Forston, Miami; Markus Kuhn, North Carolina State; Malik Jackson, Tennessee; Kheeston Randall, Texas; Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, Baylor.

Find this article at:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draftcaps24-vn4vq70-148607175.html

I read all of the McGinn stuff this year and I thought it was by far the best draft-related stuff out there. It was great because you could really get a feel for how there are differing opinions on so many guys. Like with Irvin, I think there were definitely some scouts/teams that loved him and some that had no interest. Same with many other players as well.

So you get a diversity of opinion on each player whereas with other sources, you're basically getting just one opinion and not really hearing the positives and negatives on each guy.

I read all of the McGinn stuff this year and I thought it was by far the best draft-related stuff out there. It was great because you could really get a feel for how there are differing opinions on so many guys. Like with Irvin, I think there were definitely some scouts/teams that loved him and some that had no interest. Same with many other players as well. So you get a diversity of opinion on each player whereas with other sources, you're basically getting just one opinion and not really hearing the positives and negatives on each guy.
Yeah, next year this McGinn guy deserves his own thread

So now that Gosselin is gone, who is most accurate? Boris? McGinn? Where are there mocks for this year. I searched but could not find.

EDIT: Here is McGinn's
Regarding McGinn, keep in mind that he hates doing the first round mock and states every year that he only does it because his editors require it. I agree completely - mocks are really just for entertainment purposes, otherwise mostly meaningless exercises. The real value McGinn provides is in his Draft Series (which is in the sidebar on the left in the linked page). This is now provided free of charge and is the best analysis out there imo. Some journos are critical because all his sources are anonymous, but to me that's the key to the value he provides. I really don't care what a sports journalist thinks about a player or a team's needs. McGinn tells us what actual NFL staff are saying about these players.

McGinn was #1 in The Huddle Report's top 100 for the third year in a row (out of 65 of "the most reputable and widely-published draft resources"), having correctly identified 87 of the first 100 players drafted. Mayock hit 82, Gil Brandt 80 and Kiper 77. McGinn also ranks #1 in the 5 year average, just ahead of "Draft Ace. "

BusterTBronco said:
BusterTBronco said:
Who's the best Mock Drafter these days?
That would be Jason Boris of the Times News. #1 five year average according to The Huddle Report.

Here's his 2015 mock:

http://www.tnonline.com/2015/apr/30/2015-mock-draft-quarterbacks-top

Your welcome.
That does look somewhat reasonable. Although, I'll believe it when I see it on 2 RBs taken in the top 17.
Do you believe now? Nobody beats Jason Boris. Nobody!
11 of 32. Pretty damned good.

BusterTBronco said:
BusterTBronco said:
Who's the best Mock Drafter these days?
That would be Jason Boris of the Times News. #1 five year average according to The Huddle Report.

Here's his 2015 mock:

http://www.tnonline.com/2015/apr/30/2015-mock-draft-quarterbacks-top

Your welcome.
That does look somewhat reasonable. Although, I'll believe it when I see it on 2 RBs taken in the top 17.
Do you believe now? Nobody beats Jason Boris. Nobody!
LOL Rams & Chargers is about all I have to say about that. Nice mock Jason.

Users who are viewing this thread