Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kool-Aid Larry

2012 offseason blurbgasm

202 posts in this topic

Raiders MLB Rolando McClain has been sentenced to 180 days in jail after being found guilty on charges of assault, reckless endangerment, menacing, and wrongful discharge of a firearm.

Who takes his MLB spot?

Raiders MLB Rolando McClain has been sentenced to 180 days in jail after being found guilty on charges of assault, reckless endangerment, menacing, and wrongful discharge of a firearm.

Wow, this is a huge blow

Do you think the Raiders are gonna cut him ?

Who takes his MLB spot?
Rotoworld mentions that Travis Goethel is the leading candidate to step in at middle linebacker, however, they have him listed as 3rd string behind rookie Miles Burris.

Who takes his MLB spot?
Rotoworld mentions that Travis Goethel is the leading candidate to step in at middle linebacker, however, they have him listed as 3rd string behind rookie Miles Burris.
We've been hearing about Goethel for years and yet to see him play

Jets DL coach Karl Dunbar plans to employ frequent "46 fronts" on defense this season.

Rex Ryan wants to use the 46 "as much as we can."

Who takes his MLB spot?

Travis Goethel is standing in as the Raiders' middle linebacker while Rolando McClain attends to legal woes.

Raiders LB Travis Goethel will miss the 2011 season after tearing a knee ligament.

Goethel will need surgery, ostensibly to repair an ACL tear. The 2010 sixth-round pick had been running as the second-team middle linebacker after offseason indications that he could compete for the starting weak-side job

Who takes his MLB spot?

Travis Goethel is standing in as the Raiders' middle linebacker while Rolando McClain attends to legal woes.

Raiders LB Travis Goethel will miss the 2011 season after tearing a knee ligament.

Goethel will need surgery, ostensibly to repair an ACL tear. The 2010 sixth-round pick had been running as the second-team middle linebacker after offseason indications that he could compete for the starting weak-side job

first off, McClain has appealed and requested a trial by jury which will delay anything from happening for months (I'd have to look for a link b/c I heard it on NFL radio)

2nd- the info about Goethel is 2011 news

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7942855/oakland-raiders-linebacker-rolando-mcclain-setenced-180-days-jail

McClain's attorney, Harvey Steinberg, said he will appeal to Morgan County Circuit Court seeking a jury trial.

"I wanted to put this on so we could show how ridiculous this entire situation is," Steinberg said after the conviction. "It truly is. There's no basis for it. Our feeling was that we should go through it so we could put out there that Rolando did very little, if anything, wrong. He certainly didn't do anything criminal."

McClain was released on the bail he paid following his arrest. He did not respond to reporters' questions before driving away in a white pickup truck.

"I hate that this took place but I'm glad about him being found guilty because it shows that I wasn't lying," Tapscott said following the five-hour trial.

Willingham, 23 of Decatur, pleaded guilty to third-degree assault in the case Thursday morning. He received a 90-day jail sentence.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said the league will review McClain's case to determine if further punishment is warranted. The Raiders said in a statement that they would continue to monitor the situation.

The New York Jets signed free-agent SS Yeremiah Bell (Dolphins) to a one-year deal worth $1.4 million Friday, May 18. He is receiving a $200,000 signing bonus.

2012-05-18 09:44:14 | Source: ESPN - Adam Schefter

The New York Jets signed free-agent SS Yeremiah Bell (Dolphins) to a one-year deal worth $1.4 million Friday, May 18. He is receiving a $200,000 signing bonus.2012-05-18 09:44:14 | Source: ESPN - Adam Schefter

Tom Brady approves this........ Landry/eric smith/Bell to protect the middle of the field and cover TE's? if Cromartie doesn't play some safety this year i'll be shocked

The New York Jets signed free-agent SS Yeremiah Bell (Dolphins) to a one-year deal worth $1.4 million Friday, May 18. He is receiving a $200,000 signing bonus.2012-05-18 09:44:14 | Source: ESPN - Adam Schefter

Tom Brady approves this........ Landry/eric smith/Bell to protect the middle of the field and cover TE's? if Cromartie doesn't play some safety this year i'll be shocked
I recall the Dolphins playing the Pats close and clamping down on the offense... right up until they got tired in the second half of both games.Effective depth is very key vs. that offense.

I think that's interesting considering the landry signing.is this just landry insurance, or does he play?

I think that's interesting considering the landry signing.is this just landry insurance, or does he play?
I think it's an open competition. The Jets have very little invested in either one of them, so the better man during camp and preseason is the one who will start. The only disconcerting thing if you're a Landry owner is that between the Redskins' and Patriots' apprehensions, the incentive laden one year deal with the Jets, and now the Bell signing (when there was a decent amount of competition for his services), that achilles may not be getting any better.

Sounds like a gold mine....

Dolphins news

- The Dolphins are using Jared Odrick at left defensive end in their new 4-3.

- Kevin Burnett is practicing was the Dolphins' starting weak-side linebacker.

- Koa Misi is at strong-side 'backer with Karlos Dansby in the middle.

source Ben Volin

Lions

Lions MLB Stephen Tulloch (knee tendinitis) can't put any weight on his left leg.

"We did an injection to settle it down," coach Jim Schwartz said. "He's not weight-bearing (on his leg) right now. We will get it settled down and there won't be surgery." Schwartz would only confirm that Tulloch will be sidelined through May, but he's not expected to participate in June minicamp.

Texans ILB Darryl Sharpton will move into the starting lineup next to Brian Cushing following Tuesday's trade of DeMeco Ryans.

bowman 2.0 here maybe.
Texans LBs coach Reggie Herring suggested that Bradie James is viewed as the starter next to Brian Cushing at inside linebacker.

"I don't mind throwing it on the table," said Herring, "We're pretty pleased with picking Bradie up, because we feel like we gained back what we lost with DeMeco (Ryans) leaving, and then some to be honest with you."

Texans ILB Darryl Sharpton will move into the starting lineup next to Brian Cushing following Tuesday's trade of DeMeco Ryans.

bowman 2.0 here maybe.
Texans LBs coach Reggie Herring suggested that Bradie James is viewed as the starter next to Brian Cushing at inside linebacker.

"I don't mind throwing it on the table," said Herring, "We're pretty pleased with picking Bradie up, because we feel like we gained back what we lost with DeMeco (Ryans) leaving, and then some to be honest with you."

what would be james' value here, if he holds onto this?

Rotoworld:

Karlos Dansby will be the starting middle linebacker in the Dolphins' new 4-3 defense.Dansby was an early-career SAM 'backer in the Cardinals' old 4-3, but he's been playing inside since arriving in Miami two years ago. Kevin Burnett and Koa Misi are currently working on the outside. Dansby could be an IDP monster in Kevin Coyle's scheme, which coaxed annual 110-plus tackle seasons out of Dhani Jones 2008-2010. Dansby is a much more effective player than Jones was.

Curtis Lofton and David Hawthorne are working as the two passing-down linebackers in the Saints' nickel package at OTAs.MIKE linebacker Lofton and weak-side starter Hawthorne will be every-down 'backers, with SLB Scott Shanle exiting in nickel sets. It's particularly notable for Lofton because he was considered weak in coverage in Atlanta. The Saints like him plenty in that role, and he should lead the club in tackles this year.

bowman 2.0 here maybe.

what would be james' value here, if he holds onto this?
LB3 value, he is available on many WW's at present. If yours are open, I'd be grabbing him. Might be able to flip him for something more stable but make the move now.

Alterraun Verner is working in the old Cortland Finnegan role during Titans Organized Team Activities.

Verner is the RCB in Tennessee's base defense, and covers the slot in nickel. "I like being inside, being with the linebackers, getting to blitz and guard some of the slot guys because that is where the ball goes most the time with the Wes Welkers and great tight ends," Verner explained. "They like to work those areas."

Rotoworld

Kelvin Sheppard is practicing as the Bills' starting middle linebacker at OTAs.The Bills have identified last year's third-rounder as a "nucleus" player on defense, after Sheppard racked up 61 tackles in the final nine games. He's quite likely to be an every-down player and impact IDP contributor. The Bills' starting weak-side backer is Nick Barnett, with Kirk Morrison currently at SAM.

Lofa Tatupu is practicing as the Falcons' starting middle linebacker at OTAs.A training camp battle with Akeem Dent is forthcoming in August, but the Falcons are giving the more experienced player the first shot. Tatupu, 29, missed all of last season due to chronic knee problems. He doesn't appear to have any lingering issues this spring. The winner will likely only be a two-down linebacker, so there is limited appeal from an IDP perspective.

Rotoworld

Kelvin Sheppard is practicing as the Bills' starting middle linebacker at OTAs.The Bills have identified last year's third-rounder as a "nucleus" player on defense, after Sheppard racked up 61 tackles in the final nine games. He's quite likely to be an every-down player and impact IDP contributor. The Bills' starting weak-side backer is Nick Barnett, with Kirk Morrison currently at SAM.

I wouldn't have any idea one way or the other, but I think the prevailing opinion around here is that he wouldn't be in on the nickel snaps, so I guess that's something to keep an eye on.maybe check a blog like this one:http://www.buffalorumblings.com/section/opinion?page=2

I read a tweet from Wannstedt that went something like this, Nick Barnett played well last season and will play MLB for us in the nickle.

If this is the case, i would temper my expectations.

Full transcript here with lots of detail about what to expect from the Buffalo base defense. In short, Wannstedt tried to keep from committing to specifics, but you can read between the lines and see that he'll favor the "Miami" 4-3 as we expected.

Here's the important part of the linebacker discussion (though Wannstedt had nice words for Sheppard later in the press conference).

The beautiful thing about Nick is really nothing has to change for Nick. He was an outside backer last year. He’ll be an outside backer this year. He was our mike nickel in third-down. Nick Barnett had an outstanding year last year. And I learned this at Dallas, our first Super Bowl we had nobody go to the Super Bowl that year and after we go to the Super Bowl and have success as a team I think the next year we had six or seven guys. Were they the same guys? I think they were. But you know how that recognition thing works. Nick had a great year last year. There will be a few changes. I’m over simplifying it. But from a position standpoint, outside in the 4-3, inside in our nickel package that will remain the same.

Though there were subpackages in which Sheppard played when five DBs were on the field last year, it again would seem that the Bills would prefer Barnett as the primary nickel backer. Wannstedt didn't specifically say that Sheppard wouldn't play in the nickel, but there's no reason to flip the two roles in subpackages. If Barnett slides inside, Sheppard isn't flipping to a nickel OLB role.

bowman 2.0 here maybe.

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has already decided on ILB Bradie James as the Texans' signal caller on defense.

James, familiar with Phillips' scheme from their Dallas days, is locked in as the starter next to Brian Cushing. "He’s the signal caller," Phillips said of James. "He calls all the signals and all the audibles. The guy is a field general. ... I don’t see much difference in him than a year and a half ago."

Falcons RCB Dunta Robinson will move inside to the slot in nickel packages this season.

Citing his familiarity with the slot from his Texans days, Robinson had actually requested the move several times before the acquisition of Asante Samuel. Mike Nolan designed plays for three legit starting cornerbacks since taking the coordinator job,

Falcons CB Brent Grimes will switch sides and play right cornerback with Asante Samuel in Atlanta.

Dunta Robinson will be the slot corner with Samuel at LCB. Grimes has been almost strictly a left cornerback throughout his career, but did make four RCB starts down the stretch in '09 and held up very well. The Falcons seem to have settled on Grimes and Samuel as starters, with Robinson playing in nickel sets.

The Browns plan to use Frostee Rucker as their starting right defensive end on early downs, and kick him to tackle in the nickel.

Juqua Parker is slated to replace Rucker in passing sets, though he could be pushed by Marcus Benard. Rucker, who turns 29 in September, was signed to a five-year, $20.5 million head-scratching deal in March. Pro Football Focus graded Rucker positively as a 2011 run defender, but poor in pass rush.

Thanks Kool-Aid Larry for the posts. Interesting IDP info that I have not seen elsewhere. This will be helpful to me this year. Hope you keep it coming.

(Rotoworld) Chris Clemons is running as the Dolphins' first-team strong safety at OTAs.

Analysis: Reshad Jones is the free safety. Promising CB convert Jimmy Wilson and ex-Vikings SS Tyrell Johnson will push Clemons in training camp, but he's the favorite for now. Per Pro Football Focus, Clemons played only 21 snaps in 2011.

Thanks Kool-Aid Larry for the posts. Interesting IDP info that I have not seen elsewhere. This will be helpful to me this year. Hope you keep it coming.

I pretty much rip all this stuff off rotoworld, which gets it from all kinds of sources -- local blogs, tweets, etc.

I should probably link, but none of it is their original content, anyway, and I'm kind of lazy about it.

as the season gets closer I'll probably sprinkle in more beat writers' blogs and stuff like that with links.

DeAngelo Hall anticipates playing a Charles Woodson-type role in the Redskins' revised 2012 defense, moving all around the formation.

Broncos DC Jack Del Rio plans to use second-rounder Derek Wolfe at defensive end in base personnel before moving inside in nickel packages.

Jets DC Mike Pettine says he'll feature more 4-3 alignments in 2012.

MORE 4-3 LOOKS: The decision to draft DE Quinton Coples fueled speculation that the Jets, who employ a 3-4 base defense, will use more 4-3 alignments. Well, it's not speculation anymore; it's true. "It just makes sense to use four true defensive linemen," DC Mike Pettine told ESPNNewYork.com. They've always sprinkled in some 4-3, but it usually involved an OLB (Calvin Pace or Bryan Thomas) lining up in a three-point stance with three linemen. But now the plan in certain situations is to line up Coples and Muhammad Wilkerson on the outside, with Sione Pouha and Mike DeVito inside -- all true linemen. Two reasons: There's uncertainty at Thomas' position (he's returning from Achilles tendon surgery) and it keeps DeVito on the field. Pettine said he wants his best 11.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/12751/notes-sparano-isnt-captain-crunch-time

"San Diego sources" tell the National Football Post the Chargers plan to have No. 18 pick Melvin Ingram rush the passer from a "number of places."

Ingram is expected to see the majority of his snaps at outside linebacker, but the Chargers are reportedly planning to "move him around like South Carolina did." Ingram routinely lined up at defensive tackle on third downs in college.

According to the Washington Post, Redskins DE Jarvis Jenkins' (ACL surgery) "power and explosiveness" have returned this offseason.The No. 41 pick last season, Jenkins turned heads with a strong camp before going down in the third preseason game. "He’s got a little brace on his knee, but he’s been taking all the reps and doing extremely well," coach Mike Shanahan said. Jenkins is expected to rotate with both LE Adam Carriker and RE Stephen Bowen this season.

could be a nice sleeper at DE in deeper leagues especially with Bowen recovering from a knee scope.

According to the Washington Post, Redskins DE Jarvis Jenkins' (ACL surgery) "power and explosiveness" have returned this offseason.The No. 41 pick last season, Jenkins turned heads with a strong camp before going down in the third preseason game. "He’s got a little brace on his knee, but he’s been taking all the reps and doing extremely well," coach Mike Shanahan said. Jenkins is expected to rotate with both LE Adam Carriker and RE Stephen Bowen this season.

could be a nice sleeper at DE in deeper leagues especially with Bowen recovering from a knee scope.
Aren't they playing the 3-4?

Aren't they playing the 3-4?
yeah so it would have to be pretty deep. But if they use him to rush the passer....

Falcons CB Brent Grimes will switch sides and play right cornerback with Asante Samuel in Atlanta.

Dunta Robinson will be the slot corner with Samuel at LCB. Grimes has been almost strictly a left cornerback throughout his career, but did make four RCB starts down the stretch in '09 and held up very well. The Falcons seem to have settled on Grimes and Samuel as starters, with Robinson playing in nickel sets.

bowman 2.0 here maybe.

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has already decided on ILB Bradie James as the Texans' signal caller on defense.

James, familiar with Phillips' scheme from their Dallas days, is locked in as the starter next to Brian Cushing. "He’s the signal caller," Phillips said of James. "He calls all the signals and all the audibles. The guy is a field general. ... I don’t see much difference in him than a year and a half ago."

At first it looked as if Cushing may be the odd man out. In Week 1 Ryans seemed the preferred option in the Texans dime defense (Houston almost exclusively use a 4-1-6 in passing situations), with Cushing only replacing him in that package during garbage time. It didn’t last and in Week 2 Cushing was the sole linebacker with his hand off the ground with Ryans taking a seat on the sideline. While Houston would use a nickel package including him on occasion, Ryans usually found himself on the outside looking in with the dime as their primary sub package. It left the former second round pick on the field for just 58.4% of all Texan defensive snaps, and when you have a $5.9m salary, that doesn’t make much sense.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/21/demeco-ryans-everyones-a-winner/

is james pushing cushing out of the dime.....?

Rotoworld

I wouldn't have any idea one way or the other, but I think the prevailing opinion around here is that he wouldn't be in on the nickel snaps, so I guess that's something to keep an eye on.maybe check a blog like this one:http://www.buffalorumblings.com/section/opinion?page=2
New from rotoworld:Bills MLB Kelvin Sheppard is down to 240 pounds after playing in the 250-255 range as a rookie.Sheppard's rookie season got off to a slow start in no small part because he pulled his hamstring in training camp after arriving roughly 20 pounds overweight. "He showed up in great shape [for OTAs]," said new DC Dave Wannstedt, "and his attitude is good and I think he's excited about this scheme."For as cheap as you can get him right now, don't sleep on this guy. If he does indeed play in nickel packages, he could erupt this year. There aren't a whole lot of guys flying under the radar like he is. Some think he is only good for two downs, but nobody knows for sure what is going to happen. It's only his second season, and he is getting closer and closer to a gold mine for us...

For most of his first two NFL seasons, Ndamukong Suh has played left defensive tackle, lining up next to Corey Williams in the middle of the Detroit Lions' defensive line.

But at the Lions’ third open practice of the spring Monday, Suh took several snaps at right defensive tackle, a look defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said he “probably” will use more this year.

“Warren will be happy; I’m going to move him all over the place now,” Cunningham said. “As a matter of fact, I showed him some of Warren’s tape. Warren should be really happy.”

NFL Network analyst Warren Sapp complained at the Super Bowl that the Lions were too predictable in how they used Suh last season,

http://www.freep.com/article/20120605/SPORTS01/120605026/ndamukong-suh-detroit-lions