What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (24 Viewers)

Clearing cap room for a different trade ? Will Harris performing similar for much less money ? 

Damn, I loved Diggs, always have since he stepped in during the game and made his debut in our first win in Lambeau field in years, due to injuries to other CBs 

Clearing cap room for a different trade ? Will Harris performing similar for much less money ? 

Damn, I loved Diggs, always have since he stepped in during the game and made his debut in our first win in Lambeau field in years, due to injuries to other CBs 
This is exactly what I was thinking. There must be another move coming. There is no way they gave him up to improve a garbage pick to a slightly less worthless pick.

Drake makes sense. They can't be giving up on the season yet with the schedule getting a whole lot easier here.

This is exactly what I was thinking. There must be another move coming. There is no way they gave him up to improve a garbage pick to a slightly less worthless pick.

Drake makes sense. They can't be giving up on the season yet with the schedule getting a whole lot easier here.
Jeff Rizden seems convinced it’s Drake although I don’t  think we would have needed to give away Diggs to create room for him tbh 

EDIT - apparently we lessened our cap space by trading him ! Bonuses across contract now paid in full and counting against this years cap 

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff Rizden seems convinced it’s Drake although I don’t  think we would have needed to give away Diggs to create room for him tbh 
I posted in the Ty Johnson thread, but what about a guy like Damian Harris? Pats aren't using him, could use a pick after dealing for Sanu, and Lions would get a long term partner for Kerryon.

Pipe dream scenario, but what about Melvin Gordon? Its probably unlikely, but its splashy, and would likely win back any vets, plus offer hope to fans, even if Gordon's 2019 play has done nothing to warrant it.

Drake seems like an odd fit, though he's certainly better than a street FA. Just feels like a guy Patricia would hate, as he's a notorious low work ethic guy.

EDIT - apparently we lessened our cap space by trading him ! Bonuses across contract now paid in full and counting against this years cap 
It may not have been $$ they were trying to free up but draft pick ammo. Perhaps a 5th would and should be all they need.

Mlive on the Diggs trade.

Diggs didn’t have a great showing during the offseason program, nor in training camp. He wasn’t necessarily bad, but didn’t look like his old self either. He always played the game with that chip on his shoulder, hitting hard and running everything down, but Diggs just seemed to lose that edge this year.

Sure enough, he’s off to one of the slowest starts of his career. He has 20 tackles in five games and has yet to defend a single pass, let alone pick one off. He hasn’t created any turnovers of any kind. No  big plays. And he’s missed an uncharacteristic number of tackles. ProFootballFocus has Diggs tackling efficiency ranked 58th among safeties who have played at least half their team’s defensive snaps.

Overall, Diggs ranks 61st at the position according to PFF.

Yes, he also has battled a hamstring issue, but the Lions have had concerns about his play predating the injury. And now GM Bob Quinn has made the difficult decision to part with a cornerstone player while he could still get something in return.

That would have become increasingly difficult next year, when Diggs’ cap number was set to rise to $7 million. By moving on now, they’ll clear about $3.5 million from the books in 2020.

The Lions should be in a better position to weather Diggs’ departure, with Tracy Walker playing well in his first season as the starting free safety. Tavon Wilson has been around four years, and around Matt Patricia in New England before that too, so he can step into an expanded role right away. And then there’s Will Harris, this year’s third-round pick. He’s been up and down in his rookie season, and more will certainly be expected of him now.

You rarely get better right away by trading a starting player, and that’s what Diggs is. His exit thins out the depth at one of Detroit’s better positions, and with the Lions already struggling to get off the field, there is certainly work to be done going forward.

But it’s not like the Lions are losing the Diggs of old either. Diggs just hasn’t been the same player this season, and the club doesn’t believe it’s injury related either. Maybe he could have figured it out, but the Lions made the calculation they were better off with the extra draft pick and cap space, especially considering the depth they’ve developed elsewhere at safety.

Now it’s up to them to prove they’re right.

Looks like the locker room not happy about the Diggs trade.  Slay bitter so he may be next.

Thankfully they play the Giants this week.

Mlive on the Diggs trade.

Diggs didn’t have a great showing during the offseason program, nor in training camp. He wasn’t necessarily bad, but didn’t look like his old self either. He always played the game with that chip on his shoulder, hitting hard and running everything down, but Diggs just seemed to lose that edge this year.

Sure enough, he’s off to one of the slowest starts of his career. He has 20 tackles in five games and has yet to defend a single pass, let alone pick one off. He hasn’t created any turnovers of any kind. No  big plays. And he’s missed an uncharacteristic number of tackles. ProFootballFocus has Diggs tackling efficiency ranked 58th among safeties who have played at least half their team’s defensive snaps.

Overall, Diggs ranks 61st at the position according to PFF.

Yes, he also has battled a hamstring issue, but the Lions have had concerns about his play predating the injury. And now GM Bob Quinn has made the difficult decision to part with a cornerstone player while he could still get something in return.

That would have become increasingly difficult next year, when Diggs’ cap number was set to rise to $7 million. By moving on now, they’ll clear about $3.5 million from the books in 2020.

The Lions should be in a better position to weather Diggs’ departure, with Tracy Walker playing well in his first season as the starting free safety. Tavon Wilson has been around four years, and around Matt Patricia in New England before that too, so he can step into an expanded role right away. And then there’s Will Harris, this year’s third-round pick. He’s been up and down in his rookie season, and more will certainly be expected of him now.

You rarely get better right away by trading a starting player, and that’s what Diggs is. His exit thins out the depth at one of Detroit’s better positions, and with the Lions already struggling to get off the field, there is certainly work to be done going forward.

But it’s not like the Lions are losing the Diggs of old either. Diggs just hasn’t been the same player this season, and the club doesn’t believe it’s injury related either. Maybe he could have figured it out, but the Lions made the calculation they were better off with the extra draft pick and cap space, especially considering the depth they’ve developed elsewhere at safety.

Now it’s up to them to prove they’re right.
Bold statement

I really don't see the Lions doing anything unless they ante up for a pass rusher. With the win this weekend, they won't sell anyone or a mutiny will occur and they know it. The Diggs situation was exactly that, a situation and not a statement of their current playoff status.

Futz said:
I really don't see the Lions doing anything unless they ante up for a pass rusher. With the win this weekend, they won't sell anyone or a mutiny will occur and they know it. The Diggs situation was exactly that, a situation and not a statement of their current playoff status.
Heard on The Ticket just now Lions have made Slay available.  If they can get a 2 and 4 pretty sure Slay will be history.

Will Slay be here by the end of the trading deadline?
Yes. They want too much. They want compensation similar to what the Jags got for Ramsey.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Lions have told teams that compensation for CB Darius Slay has to be similar to what the Rams gave up for CB Jalen Ramsey.

There's a lot to unpack here. Ramsey, a 25-year-old All-Pro yet to reach the prime of his career, was unloaded for two first-round picks and a subsequent fourth-rounder in 2021. Not only does Slay turn 29 in the new year, he's still owed $13.4 million next season stemming from his four-year, $48.15 million extension he inked with the Lions back in '16. The Eagles have reportedly shown interest in Slay after whiffing on a Ramsey deal, but it's unfathomable they give in to Detroit's current asking price. As it stands, Slay's likely to stay donning silver and blue beyond Tuesday's 4 p.m. ET deadline.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Oct 29, 2019, 10:27 AM ET
https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/2604/darius-slay

That was really disappointing. Outsmarted themselves on that one. Spread them out and let your best playmakers do the work. Ugh....tough loss to swallow.
A true WTF moment when I saw the formation.  I doubt anyone on Oakland thought they would run it, so the play fake was useless. Take Jones and Golladay off the field and throw to the 3rd string TE?   Pure genius!

Wow..WTH happened the last play??
To me, this is what makes Stafford simply an above average QB. I doubt Brady, etc would allow that play to be called. 

You should be fired for having your three best receivers sitting on the sideline on a 4th and goal with the game on the line. 

Just another example if stupid coaches calling stupid plays thinking they are somehow tricking the other team. It's always a good idea to target inferior playmakers when you are trying to win the game. Yes, Brady would never have run that play. 

I was at a bar with my wife yesterday that gets a good Lion crowd every week.  Just listening to the comments after the last play was pretty funny. One older guy was stomping around saying "I am sick of this, my whole life I had to endure this crap" A table behind us of 5-6 guys I heard "Lions blow"  "SOL"  "Fire Patricia and Quinn"   "Fords need to sell the team"  These are just the ones I can post.   There were many worse.

Just another example if stupid coaches calling stupid plays thinking they are somehow tricking the other team. It's always a good idea to target inferior playmakers when you are trying to win the game. Yes, Brady would never have run that play. 
So Brady would have called a timeout and told them to put other players in?  I don't remember if they even had a TO.  This is silly trying to blame Stafford for the coaches terrible play call.

I agree the coaches made an awful call. I’m not sure what Stafford could have done beyond argue it- which he may have, we don’t know. 

I watched the replay.  It was 3rd and goal on Oak 14.  No time outs.  25 sec remain.  Stafford passed to Logan Thomas 13 yards to the Oak 1.  Now it's 4th and goal on Oak 1 but no time outs.  Clock is running.  So you have to run a play with the same setup.  Can't call a timeout.  Can't spike the ball since it's 4th down.

I watched the replay.  It was 3rd and goal on Oak 14.  No time outs.  25 sec remain.  Stafford passed to Logan Thomas 13 yards to the Oak 1.  Now it's 4th and goal on Oak 1 but no time outs.  Clock is running.  So you have to run a play with the same setup.  Can't call a timeout.  Can't spike the ball since it's 4th down.
Oakland called a TO to bail them out.  They substituted out the WR's for the jumbo package.  This is all on the coaching.  

TheAssassin said:
Maybe Gruden knew that Patricia would overthink it if he gave him the time, so Gruden called a timeout.  Genius
He probably remembered Bevell not calling Beast Mode's number in the Superbowl in the same situation

So Stafford DOES have broken bones in his back.  I'd say put him on IR, tank the rest of the season to play for a better pick, and retool for 2020... but that still means Quinn is making the pick and Patricia is coaching.

Seeing all these teams who can roll out backups and keep winning just illustrates how poorly this Lions team is managed. They literally have no running game to rely on and they knew Stafford has back issues. How do you not have a plan for that?

Its looking like Stafford’s career will be shorter than expected, so this organization will have wasted another quality player. 

Being a Lions fan is not for the faint of heart. 

On the bright side the 2020 Draft is only 165 days away. 

So Stafford DOES have broken bones in his back.  I'd say put him on IR, tank the rest of the season to play for a better pick, and retool for 2020... but that still means Quinn is making the pick and Patricia is coaching.
If Stafford's out multiple weeks, the Lions shouldn't even have to try to tank. They'll simply be that bad. Minus some incredible surge from Jeff "not good enough to remain a Bengal" Driskel, they might (and it's a definite 'might') beat the Redskins but even getting past the Bucs or Broncos seems like dreaming. The situation does setup for Quinn/Patricia to potentially stay from missing their QB because of course it does. Never mind having a terrible D, an awful running game outside of Kerryon, and no depth. 

On the last play Driscoll goes over line of scrimmage and then throws the hail mary out of the back of the end zone.    Looked like a Dan Orlavsky type of play.  

So with Stafford probably done Lions will be looking at maybe a 5 win season tops? Well the bright side is Lions should get a pick in the top 4-8 area

Former #2 overall draft pick Charles Rogers dead at 38 years of age.  Rogers was such a gifted athlete who could never get his life on track.

I was at a bar with my wife yesterday that gets a good Lion crowd every week.  Just listening to the comments after the last play was pretty funny. One older guy was stomping around saying "I am sick of this, my whole life I had to endure this crap" A table behind us of 5-6 guys I heard "Lions blow"  "SOL"  "Fire Patricia and Quinn"   "Fords need to sell the team"  These are just the ones I can post.   There were many worse.
The Lions fans have been long suffering, 50 years and more with little respite, other than maybe Sanders, Calvin Johnson, and Stafford.  No results to speak of.  That said they support their team year in and year out.  Amazing fans.  Easy to root for a perennial winner, easy to be a bandwagoner like many fans of a franchise I will not name, not so easy to stay loyal in the face of this.  Great fans.

This is about as bad as I remember defensively.   Patricia is a defensive guy and the Lions defense is getting shredded every week to over 400  total yards.  Prescott at times had 7-8 seconds maybe more to scan the field.   Prescott credited his o-line but the Lions just rush the same 4 players every down.  No zone or safety blitz ever.   When Prescott said he was able to go through his progressions twice many times that tells the tale.

On a positive note backup QB Driscoll looked pretty good. 

This is about as bad as I remember defensively.   Patricia is a defensive guy and the Lions defense is getting shredded every week to over 400  total yards.  Prescott at times had 7-8 seconds maybe more to scan the field.   Prescott credited his o-line but the Lions just rush the same 4 players every down.  No zone or safety blitz ever.   When Prescott said he was able to go through his progressions twice many times that tells the tale.

On a positive note backup QB Driscoll looked pretty good. 
Yep. How bad the defence has been is one of the two incredibly confusing and frustrating points of this team and coaching staff. The other being the run game with so much money and draft capital invested in the Oline. 

Despite a lot of Dline injuries, I just don’t get how this defence can be so bad. There were very solid signs in the last 8 odd games of last season that the D was beginning to get Patricias schemes, and the numbers showed the same. What happened here ? 

Just to take the heat off the HC & GM,  would not surprise me if they just bring in a new DC and spend their first draft pick on that side of the ball.  Could never see the always turtle-like ownership of this team making any move bolder than that.

Eh, seems like there has been enough movement that Patty should be the coach next year.  If they are still stuck in neutral at that point then it's time to clean house yet again.

Eh, seems like there has been enough movement that Patty should be the coach next year.  If they are still stuck in neutral at that point then it's time to clean house yet again.
I agree but they never clean house correctly.  Fire Millen but keep his right hand man Mayhew.   Fire Mayhew and Lewand mid-season but keep the HC. That may be a first in NFL history that the president and GM were fired in the middle of a losing streak but the coach kept his job. Hire and new prez and GM but keep old HC.

This time when it does happen the President, GM and HC all have to go.

I agree a little that it is not all Pattys fault.  Quinn drafted Hock #1 and signed James to a huge deal and getting almost zero production from the TE position. Quinn has drafted Centers, MLs and TEs in the first and second rd.   Successful teams get these positions in the 3-4-5th rounds. 

I'm fine with Patty. He can at least win against teams with a winning record, with a roster that still needs work. That's probably as good as it's ever going to get for the Lions. 

Well they got screwed out of a win vs. GB and then Stafford got hurt, don't think you can fire the guy, think you have to give him at least another year.

Users who are viewing this thread