What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (43 Viewers)

I don't think I have ever complained about refs in any sport about anything.

I'm at a complete loss to understand what happened on that call.

I can't wait to hear how that reversal gets explained away. What can they possibly say? Anyone have a guess?

I can't wait to hear how that reversal gets explained away. What can they possibly say? Anyone have a guess?
Should have went for it after that play anyways as well.
Give me a break. Then they get stuffed, Dallas scores and you're on here saying he should've punted and pinned them deep.

Judgment call and I'm not going to rip Caldwell for it. I was hoping they'd go for it but I can see punting.

Give me a break. Then they get stuffed, Dallas scores and you're on here saying he should've punted and pinned them deep.

Judgment call and I'm not going to rip Caldwell for it. I was hoping they'd go for it but I can see punting.
No excuse for punting it on 4th and one in your opponents territory in a one score game in the fourth quarter,Go win the game, don't try not to lose it, because you will.

No excuse for punting it on 4th and one in your opponents territory in a one score game in the fourth quarter,Go win the game, don't try not to lose it, because you will.
MAC_32 said:
If you always rely on hindsight then you can't ever be wrong so there's that.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Grading the Detroit Lions after the team's 24-20 loss to the Dallas Cowboys:

QUARTERBACKS: A-

This game will inevitably be added to the list of games Matthew Stafford failed to win, but it's not on him. The quarterback had a fine performance in defeat, completing 28 of 42 passes for 323 yards and one touchdown. His lone interception was the result of a tipped pass at the line of scrimmage.

Stafford was accurate, played under control and exhibited toughness, especially on a third-down run where he bounced off a would-be tackler to pick up the first down.

RUNNING BACKS: B+

There weren't a great deal of carries for the backs, but the duo of Reggie Bush and Joique Bell ran hard on their touches. One of the best plays of the day was Bush weaving through the Cowboys secondary for a first-quarter score. Great TD run by Bush.

Theo Riddick chipped in four receptions for 39 yards.

WIDE RECEIVERS: C+

Golden Tate got the best of the individual matchup with Barry Church, burning the safety for a 51-yard touchdown in the opening quarter and finishing with his best game in two months, six grabs for 89 yards.

Calvin Johnson was largely held in check by Dallas, at least compared to last season. He finished with five receptions for 85 yards. But in the late stages of the fourth quarter, with the game on the line, he dropped a catchable pass over the middle and got flagged for a false start.

The Lions also managed to get a small, surprising contribution out of Corey Fuller, who came up with a big third-down grab in the second half when the Lions were buried deep in their own territory.

TIGHT ENDS: C

Brandon Pettigrew and Eric Ebron chipped in four receptions for 32 yards and both threw key blocks in the running game. Pettigrew also managed to draw a pass interference flag on a third-down throw in the fourth quarter, but the flag was inexplicably picked up by the officials.

OFFENSIVE LINE: C-

The unit entered the contest without its best player in Larry Warford, then lost backup right guard Travis Swanson in the opening quarter. Still, with two third-stringers playing on the right side, the group held up well much of the contest, opening up quality lanes for the backs and limiting the rush from getting to Stafford.

But Stafford's protection crumbled late. Undrafted rookie Cornelius Lucas made a blunder in the closing minutes, getting beat off the edge. The defender was able to force a fumble, which Dallas recovered -- only to fumble it back over to the Lions on the return.

Nine plays later it was veteran Riley Reiff who was beaten on fourth-and-3. Again Stafford fumbled, sealing the loss.

DEFENSIVE LINE: A-

The front four got consistent pressure against one of the league's best pass-protecting offensive lines, sacking Tony Romo six times. Ndamukong Suh had a monster performance, recording back-to-back sacks in the second half and also making a stop on running back DeMarco Murray on third-and-goal from the 1-yard line.

Murray did have some early success against the Lions, gaining 62 yards on his first 11 attempts, but was slowed later in the contest.

LINEBACKERS: D+

Tahir Whitehead picked up his first career sack, but also got hit with an unnecessary 15-yard penalty for blowing up a defenseless receiver across the middle.

All-Pro DeAndre Levy had an uncharacteristically quiet performance, tallying just four stops and missing a huge tackle on Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant, allowing the wideout to turn a short gain into a 43-yard pickup. Levy was also flagged for a hold in the red zone on third down, giving Dallas three more cracks at the end zone on what turned into a game-winning touchdown.

DEFENSIVE BACKS: D

A rough day for the secondary, particularly Cassius Vaughn, who surrendered multiple receptions early in the game. None was bigger than a 76-yard touchdown to Terrance Williams late in the first half.

It was far from the only blown coverage assignment or missed tackle in the back end, which included safety James Ihedigbo losing Jason Witten in man coverage on fourth-and-6 on Dallas' game-winning drive.

SPECIAL TEAMS: D

Jeremy Ross had a rough day, muffing a punt (which he recovered) and making an ill-advised decision to return a kickoff where he was dropped at the 5-yard line.

Sam Martin contributed to the special teams woes, shanking a critical fourth-quarter punt unnecessarily giving Dallas outstanding field position to drive for the winning score.

Matt Prater did covert both of his field goal attempts.

COACHING: B

The Lions clearly came out prepared for this contest, jumping out to a 14-0 lead with both outstanding defense and varied play-calling on offense.

The defense sustained it's success up front, but coordinator Teryl Austin wasn't able to effectively cover up the loss of cornerback Rashean Mathis, who missed half of the game with a quad strain.

Offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi wisely leaned on Stafford for the get-go. And even with Warford out, managed to squeeze blood from a stone with the run game.

The Lions' decision to punt on fourth-and-1 from the Dallas 46-yard line, up three with just over eight minutes to go, was the right decision but looks far worse in hindsight after Martin botched the boot.

Finally, the staff made a decision to put Darius Slay on kickoff coverage and were rewarded as the young corner shoved return man Dwayne Harris out of bounds as he turned the corner and threatened a big gain. They also experimented with Tate returning punts, but got gun shy when the receiver got lit up on his first attempt.

Word vomit.

They did take their shot to win the game one play prior. We got the #### end of a bad call. If you can't even acknowledge that it was a judgment call, then I'm inclined to believe you just don't like Caldwell.

They did take their shot to win the game one play prior. We got the #### end of a bad call. If you can't even acknowledge that it was a judgment call, then I'm inclined to believe you just don't like Caldwell.
It was a bad call and not the reason the Lions lost the game.Score more than two field goals after the first two possessions or try not having the same number of turnovers as points in the second half and the Lions win.

Can't speak for him, but I was yelling at the TV before that play. Of course you go for it. Not because of the results, but because the numbers say it increases your win expectancy. Fourth and one at midfield is a no-brainer.

If Calvin doesn't get called for a false start they have 1st and 10 at the 37 with 1:07 on the clock.

Just sayin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Calvin doesn't get called for a false start they have 1st and 10 at the 37 with 1:07 on the clock.

Just sayin'.
Somebody else moved first, cstu. Not that it wasn't the Lions -- I think the center blatantly cocked the ball and threw CJ off. I saw it out of the corner of my eye.

OK, what do people think are the odds of the three most important people to the defense coming back? Here are my back-of-the-envelope guesses:

• Austin: 15%. Unless he totally blows the interviews or decides he's not ready/doesn't like the available options, I don't see how he doesn't get a HC gig. And if by some miracle he does come back, it's only for one more year.
  • Fairley: 25%. Don't think he feels any particular loyalty to the Lions after the way they've treated him (I happen to think they handled it well, but I suspect he disagrees). I think he cashes in.
  • Suh: 33%. Yeah, I'm probably being delusional with this, and a week ago I would have put it at about 5%. But the only reason I think there's even a chance is that Sunday highlighted just how important he is, and I think it might make the front office do whatever's necessary -- franchise tag, long-term deal -- to bring him back. If they're being rational, he definitely walks, because the franchise tag will result in a massive cap hit, and they'll have a hard time outbidding teams with more cap space on a new deal. But it may just be that irrationality is the most rational move here.
Also, assuming Austin does leave, does anyone know who the next man up is on the defense? The silver lining is that usually when these whiz-kid coordinators leave, teams maintain continuity by promoting one of their assistants. Think Seattle going from Bradley to Quinn, or the Ravens extended run of internal DC hires.

Gunther Cunningham (yep, still alive) and Bill Sheridan are both former DC. Jim Washburn would probably interview. Would rather they go outside to fill the position, but it's a huge loss. But kudos to Austin - I think he'll be a good HC.

Fairley? He's not going to command premium so if we can keep him for a reasonable amount, fine, but CJ Mosely is a better value.

The dead money on Suh is $9.7M, $53M cap hit for 9, 81 & 90 for 2015. After the Cap gets adjusted upward later this year the Lions will have NLT $20M and probably closer to $25-30M of space. Suh is likely looking at a floor of 6-$105M. All things being equal Suh would stay. He owns multiple homes in the area, moved his extended family here, likes the coaches and the D line is tight. But there's no opportunity for a hometown discount here, he won't leave money on the table.

Probably best to pursue Mike Lupati and fill other needs rather than pursue Suh.

TIGHT ENDS: C

Brandon Pettigrew and Eric Ebron chipped in four receptions for 32 yards and both threw key blocks in the running game. Pettigrew also managed to draw a pass interference flag on a third-down throw in the fourth quarter, but the flag was inexplicably picked up by the officials.
Two blown first rounders. :kicksrock:
:lol: yeah, many other rookie receivers did well but let's not call Ebron a blown pick yet.

OK, what do people think are the odds of the three most important people to the defense coming back? Here are my back-of-the-envelope guesses:

• Austin: 15%. Unless he totally blows the interviews or decides he's not ready/doesn't like the available options, I don't see how he doesn't get a HC gig. And if by some miracle he does come back, it's only for one more year.
  • Fairley: 25%. Don't think he feels any particular loyalty to the Lions after the way they've treated him (I happen to think they handled it well, but I suspect he disagrees). I think he cashes in.
  • Suh: 33%. Yeah, I'm probably being delusional with this, and a week ago I would have put it at about 5%. But the only reason I think there's even a chance is that Sunday highlighted just how important he is, and I think it might make the front office do whatever's necessary -- franchise tag, long-term deal -- to bring him back. If they're being rational, he definitely walks, because the franchise tag will result in a massive cap hit, and they'll have a hard time outbidding teams with more cap space on a new deal. But it may just be that irrationality is the most rational move here.
Also, assuming Austin does leave, does anyone know who the next man up is on the defense? The silver lining is that usually when these whiz-kid coordinators leave, teams maintain continuity by promoting one of their assistants. Think Seattle going from Bradley to Quinn, or the Ravens extended run of internal DC hires.
Keeping Suh would be a surprise but seems more realistic today than it did a week ago.

Sounds like the Jaguars, Browns, Raiders, Jets and Falcons are all possible suitors; Browns or Raiders seem most likely IMO.

23rd pick again, same as three years ago. Presuming we don't go TE again:

DT: Danny Shelton, Washington; Eddie Goldman, Florida State; Michael Bennett, Ohio State.

CB: Trae Waynes, Michigan State, P.J. Williams, Florida State, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon.

OT: Ereck Flowers, Miami (Fla.); Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M; Andrus Peat, Stanford.

The Lions will have some key decisions to make this offseason on some of their own free agents.

Head coach Jim Caldwell said after Sundays 24-20 loss in Dallas that theres usually about a 35 percent roster turnover from year to year.

So who will be signed and who wont?

Heres a list of the Lions 2015 free agents:

Unrestricted:

Ndamukong Suh, DT

Nick Fairley, DT

Rob Sims, LG

Dominic Raiola, C

Matt Prater, PK

Rashean Mathis, CB

C.J. Mosley, DT

George Johnson, DE

Darryl Tapp, DE

Dan Orlovsky, QB

Jed Collins, FB

Kellen Davis, TE

Corey Hilliard, T

Garrett Reynolds, G

Andre Fluellen, DT

Ashlee Palmer, LB

Cassius Vaughn, CB

Josh Thomas, CB

Isa Abdul-Quddus, S

Don Muhlbach, LS

Restricted:

Kellen Moore, QB

Josh Bynes, LB

Exclusive rights:

Jeremy Ross, WR

Last edited by a moderator:
they have to franchise Suh, and try to work out a long term deal.

Its the only option.
Won't that kill their cap?
yep, killed their cap this year too, maybe get Matty and Megatron to restrcuture, without Suh that defense is borderline terrible
I disagree that they defense would be horrible. It was horrible every other year with Suh. The new DC deserves a lot of credit. At 24 million for the franchise tag I would rather see them go get 3 or 4 guys on defense.

They have too much money tied up in Staff and CJ. Franchising Suh and getting him to sign a long term deal sounds nice, but he'd just sign the tender the second it popped out of the fax machine. For obvious reasons.

Better to let him go, and join the parade of teams trying to sign him. If he DOES love Detroit, and it sounds like it does, no reason he wouldn't give DET a chance to match.

Overthecap.com shows Suh with a $9.7 cap hit for 2015 even though his contract will void once the season ends. So even though he will not be under contract in 2015 (as of now), he still has a $10 million cap hit. Is that correct?

Overthecap.com shows Suh with a $9.7 cap hit for 2015 even though his contract will void once the season ends. So even though he will not be under contract in 2015 (as of now), he still has a $10 million cap hit. Is that correct?
Correct, from previous restructures.

So the Lions are at $119 million with 40 players counting against the cap in 2015. At a minimum, signing 11 additional players to the roster to count against the cap will add $5 million. That is if all the signees signed for the league minimum (which we know will not happen). Since the cap is projected to be around $140 million that gives the Lions about $16 million to play with to pay over the minimum and to resign Suh. The only players on the 2015 roster that they could cut and save any significant amount of Cap dollars are Steven Tulloch ($3.2 millions saved) DeAndre Levy ($3.5 millions saved) and Jason Jones ($3.15 millions saved). That totals about $10 million. Unless they significantly restructure some players, I don't think they can afford to re-sign Suh.

I heard an interview yesterday or the day before with Tim Twentyman of Lions.com. He said he's come around to the idea of franchising Suh, if necessary, while they try to work out a long term deal. I don't remember exactly all the math he was doing, but the gist of it was that since the cap is taking a fairly large jump and Suh is already included for ~$10 million the actual resulting cap hit from franchising him isn't as onerous as it first seems. He also talked about the cap space they could create if Calvin restructres but I'm not sure if that was part of the equation when he was doing the math on Suh.

I'm feeling now like they have to re-sign him. Austin deserves a ton of credit for what he did with the D, but he doesn't tackle or cover anyone. The guys who do are made significantly better with Suh on the field. They just are. He improves every level of that defense and I'm not sure there are more than a few guys in the league that you can say that about. You hate to just let one walk away for nothing when you've got one. I'd certainly rather they spend the money to get Suh than let him walk for nothing and give Fairly too much money and watch him slide back into Bad Nick. Also, the alternative is the Lions end up with a ton of cap space -- not a bad thing -- but then they have to spend it properly. It doesn't add up to much if you end up with Charlie V and Ben Gordon.

Now, whether Suh actually WANTS to come back to Detroit is a different story.

they have to franchise Suh, and try to work out a long term deal.

Its the only option.
Won't that kill their cap?
yep, killed their cap this year too, maybe get Matty and Megatron to restrcuture, without Suh that defense is borderline terrible
I disagree that they defense would be horrible. It was horrible every other year with Suh. The new DC deserves a lot of credit. At 24 million for the franchise tag I would rather see them go get 3 or 4 guys on defense.
They were a middle of the pack defense - 15th or 16th - pre-Austin.

With $9.7M in dead money tied up in Suh, the franchise tag isn't "too much money" - it would run them around $16M additional. He's likely seeking $17-18M per year on his long term FA deal.

Moot point as the Lions are not going down the franchise tag road.

It wouldn't make any sense to restructure Calvin because of the amount of dead money.

Megatron 2015 & 2016

Base Salary 12.5 & 16.0

Cap Hit 20.6 & 24.0

Dead Money 21.0 & 12.9

Not much sense in deferring the 2015 salary and creating an even bigger hit.

Stafford might make more sense; 2015 & 2016:

Base Salary 9.5 & 17.0

Cap Hit 17.7 & 22.5

Dead Money 27.2 & 11.2

They might convert his 2015 salary to a bonus, or extend him further than 3 years.

Reggie Bush - no brainer here. It's a cap hit of $5.2M v. dead money of $2M. See ya, 21.

Tulloch - comes back, but might be a casualty next year when his cap hit is $7.3M and his dead money is only $1.3M.

Levey took a cap reduction this year - he'll probably get his deal extended.

Suh, Sims, Fairley, Moseley, Raiola, Tapp, Prater, Ross - lots of decisions to make here.

Detroit has about $19M to work with right now with the preliminary cap of $138M. That will almost surely rise to $145-$150M so in reality they probably have closer to $25-30M, and that's before they dump Broyles, Bush, et al.

So the Lions are at $119 million with 40 players counting against the cap in 2015. At a minimum, signing 11 additional players to the roster to count against the cap will add $5 million. That is if all the signees signed for the league minimum (which we know will not happen). Since the cap is projected to be around $140 million that gives the Lions about $16 million to play with to pay over the minimum and to resign Suh. The only players on the 2015 roster that they could cut and save any significant amount of Cap dollars are Steven Tulloch ($3.2 millions saved) DeAndre Levy ($3.5 millions saved) and Jason Jones ($3.15 millions saved). That totals about $10 million. Unless they significantly restructure some players, I don't think they can afford to re-sign Suh.
No official word and lots of hopeful speculation, but I figure there is no way they retain Suh. But who knows.

I should make it clear that Twentyman's point about the franchise tag seemed to be conditioned on the idea that he wouldn't actually play under it. They'd franchise him only on the path to an extension which, I believe, would mean his actual cap number when all was said and done wouldn't be quite a bit lower than the franchise number.

Key off-season dates:

February 2: Waiver system begins for 2015.

February 16: First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

February 17-23: NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana.

March 2: Prior to 4:00 p.m. ET, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

March 7-10: Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents upon the expiration of their 2014 contracts at 4:00 p.m. ET, on March 10. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m. ET, on March 10.

March 10: Top-51 Begins. All clubs must be under the 2015 salary cap prior to 4:00 p.m. ET. All 2014 player contracts expire at 4:00 p.m. ET. The 2015 league year and free agency period begin at 4:00 p.m. ET.

April 20: Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.

April 24: Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign offer sheets.

April 30-May 2: 2015 NFL Draft, Chicago.

May 8-11: First weekend after the NFL Draft: clubs may elect to hold their three-day post-draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.

May 15-18: Second weekend after the NFL Draft: clubs may elect to hold their three- day post-draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.

July 15: At 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multi-year contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one-year contract with his prior club for the 2015 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club's last regular season game

Haven't read the 33 page thread, but last I saw was if franchised, Suh would get a tag number of $26.7 million. Don't see that happening.

Haven't read the 33 page thread, but last I saw was if franchised, Suh would get a tag number of $26.7 million. Don't see that happening.
yeah, I saw some blurb about that

that's pretty crazy -- how is that even possible?
IIRC, the rules for franchising players state that the team has to bump the players salary to the average of the Top 5 at his position - OR - increase his salary by 20% over the season that just ended. I don't remember what Suh was getting for 2014, but I am guessing it was some decent scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread