What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (21 Viewers)

It never ceases to amaze me how some coaches get so conservative when they get a big lead early in games only to lose. You don't see the successful coaches do that. They keep piling on putting more pressure on and forcing teams to become more one dimensional. Do they even take the time afterwards to assess what went wrong? Or what they could have done differently so that this doesn't happen again? Frustrating to watch it happen time and time again with the same coaches. I'm sure most of these coaches know more about football than most of us but, for whatever reason, are unable to see this fault and change their thinking.
That's the Herminator way of coaching. It's full of losers. Detroit did it all year and was lucky it only bit them in the ### once I believe. Then you look at Pittsburgh last year. They had a huge lead on Baltimore. 2 minutes left to go up 13, they threw a 33 yard TD to Matt Spaeth. Tomlin was laughing on the sidelines. That's punching the other team in the face. That's a winner.
Big difference when you have a QB you can trust. I dont think Lions coaches have 100% faith in Stafford. I know last year he wasnt calling his own audibles. They were calling two plays in the huddle and we was allowed to switch to the other play. They talk a good game about how Stafford has improved, but I think even Lombardi can see Stafford is no Drew Brees.
I trust the coaching staff less than I trust Stafford. This is what you get with a guy like Jim Caldwell. Another risk adverse coach that needs a vastly superior team with Peyton at QB to overcome questionable coaching decisions and even then he will still find a way to let a big lead evaporate.

Stafford = Cutler = George = Carr

These guys will wow you for a few plays with their big arms, but break your heart in the long run with bone heads.
Would that this cannot be refuted.He used to a volume stat stuffer. Last year he was better at cutting down on turnovers, but took a ton of sacks, and consistently failed to sustain drives.

The one constant throughout his career, across two HCs, three OCs and overhauled roster: cannot beat good teams on the road. Has never happened. Scarcely much better at home against playoff bound teams. Good against mediocre & bad teams.

It's not all about Matthew Stafford, but the bottom line is until that changes, he's just a guy. We invested 7 seasons and nearly $100M in two guaranteed contracts just to find out he's a QB15-20. Not a championship quarterback.
Most teams have this problem. There just aren't very many elite starting QBs. Eli isn't any better than Stafford and has won two Superbowls. But those Giants championship teams could beat good teams on the road.

Lot of valid points in the posts above.

The stuff I can't stand hearing is acting like the Lions are the only team to ever put valuable players on special teams. Golden Tate ran back punts for a world champion team. Antonio Brown (only one of the best WRS in the NFL) has been running back kicks for the Steelers for years now.

Lions still do a lot of stupid crap that nobody else seems to do, lets stick to commenting on that.

It's going as I feared it would. Oh well, not like we aren't used to this. A deeper analysis required at some point but for now. SOL

I really don't get everyone dogging Stafford. Guy is 27 years old, how many QBs his age or younger would you say definitively are better? Luck and...? I have faith in the guy yet and for better or for worse he's the face of our franchise and I really don't see him as the problem.

I will say that every time they show Caldwell on the sidelines he's just standing there with his mouth slightly ajar and that perplexed look on his face. In two games I don't think the cameras have caught him saying a single word into his headset... I'm starting to wonder if it's even on?

I really don't get everyone dogging Stafford. Guy is 27 years old, how many QBs his age or younger would you say definitively are better? Luck and...? I have faith in the guy yet and for better or for worse he's the face of our franchise and I really don't see him as the problem.

I will say that every time they show Caldwell on the sidelines he's just standing there with his mouth slightly ajar and that perplexed look on his face. In two games I don't think the cameras have caught him saying a single word into his headset... I'm starting to wonder if it's even on?
Off the top of my head.

Luck

Wilson

Tannehill

Newton

Jury is out

Carr - not sure

Bortles -leaning towards Stafford

Bridgewater - leaning Bridgewater

Mariota - leaning Mariota, but too early

Winston - no idea yet

Guys close to his age I would rather have

Flacco

Rodgers

Ryan

I guess you dont watch many other games outside of Lions games. Watch as other QBs will change the cadence of their calls to try to draw defenses offline (Rogers did it a ton last night) especially if you are getting hit over and over... and the defense is playing aggressive. Stafford dont do this.

Watch Manning, Romo or other QBs call out of point out blisters presnap. Stafford dont do this.

He is 27 or whatever been in the league what 5-6 years. Plays like he is in his 2nd year too much.

If he is the face of the organization or not that really dont mean much. Roy Williams and Joey Harrington were the face of the Lions once. Didnt mean they were good. ..

Last edited by a moderator:
He's in his 7th year. Hoyer and Sanchez came out that year, so I guess we can say he's the best QB of his class (though Sanchez has actually won playoff games.

Year before him was Flacco and Ryan; not much debate who's number 3 in that cohort group.

Older guys he's clearly not in the same category with: Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Manning, Romo, and Palmer.

Younger guys who are better: Luck, Newton, Tannehill, Wilson, and probably Carr & Bortles.

That's 19 QBs mentioned and at least 15/maybe 17 have had more success or have a brighter future.

Who are his peers? Bradford, Cutler, Dalton, RGIII/Cousins, Kapernick, Alex Smith, Fitzpatrick? In other words, all the QBs who have warts and nobody really believes in.

Face of the Franchise + big contract means we're stuck with him, at least for this year, next year and 2017. Two mega-contracts, nine ####### years and $131M, two-thirds of it guaranteed. For what? Mediocrity - a QB who's not even in the top half of the league at his position.

There's a LOT of issues with this team right now. The O-line cannot control the flow of the game or give the passing game enough time, the middle linebacker is a shell of his former self, the best defensive player hasn't played a down, the GD offensive coordinator is clueless how make adjustments. It's not all Matthew Stafford's fault. But I know one thing - he's also not the answer.

Stafford struggled again. Caldwell stood there looking dumbfounded. Old Man Manning taught them a lesson.

Collinsworth brought up a good point last night about Stafford not getting out of the pocket anymore to make time for Calvin to get open. Lombardi is trying to run the wrong type of offense for Stafford. We are relegated now to having 3 possession receivers and that is not Stafford's or Calvin's type of game. Get rid of Lombardi and bring in a OC that is willing to let Stafford loose. I don't care if he only completes 65% of passes, as long as he actually keeps the defenses honest and off the LOS so that the running game gets going.

Stafford has NEVER thrown for 65% comp ratio so that would be a first.

When they actually started to look for Calvin in the 3rd quarter they moved the ball. Problem is once again Lions get behind the in the 4th quarter Riddick seems to be the only guy Stafford throws the ball to.

Im getting sick of Golden Tate. Catch the ball and stop complaining about pass interference every time the ball comes you way.

Pretty horrible game for Slay. Getting burned on that 4th & 1 45 yarder is inexcusable - ball was badly underthrown. DT made a great move to catch it at the apex of his leap but he's gotta wrap up. There was another play on the sideline Slay tried to shoulder bump tackle Green and the big TE just bounced off him and went all the way inside the 10. Then the ####### lines up wide left on the 53 yard FGA without communicating to anyone what he was doing - 5 yard penalty gave McManus the do over.

Cornelius Lucas & Laken Tomlinson are completely overmatched. Waddle had two dumb penalties. Riley Reiff played better at LT but that's not saying a lot. Ebron whiffed on a couple blocks, couple running plays and two sacks/hurries. Stafford is not a guy who will get the ball out quick, he's gotta be coached to chip the pass rusher on his way off the line.

The defense played better, good enough to get a win with minimal competence from Lombardi's group.

Both Stafford's interceptions were exceptionally good athletic plays by the defender, but that's life at the next level.

When did Stafford start double clutching? Lombardi has his head all ####ed up IMO. He used to play a lot looser. The results weren't always great but the bottom line remains unchanged with the new, timid & skittish Stafford.

Also, it's pretty obvious Caldwell/Lonbardi are skeered AA will fumble. That is dictating his usage. Right after that overturned fumble he got pulled. Theo is sure handed and they trust him.

Tiki Barber used to fumble 8-9 times a year until Coughlin coached him up and they cut it down to 2-3. Why the #### are these #######s scared of a correctable problem?

Playoffs seem almost impossible now. Only 5 teams have ever done it from 0-3, and they probably weren't in as good of a division as Detroit is. They look poised for 0-4 too which would all but eliminate them.

Seems weird seeing a team with a lot of promise end like that. They've lost some tight games and very well could be 2-1 right now. Not sure if they're gonna start firing people already if this goes very bad.

Stafford has NEVER thrown for 65% comp ratio so that would be a first.

When they actually started to look for Calvin in the 3rd quarter they moved the ball. Problem is once again Lions get behind the in the 4th quarter Riddick seems to be the only guy Stafford throws the ball to.

Im getting sick of Golden Tate. Catch the ball and stop complaining about pass interference every time the ball comes you way.
I agree..that is getting old fast.

Also, it's pretty obvious Caldwell/Lonbardi are skeered AA will fumble. That is dictating his usage. Right after that overturned fumble he got pulled. Theo is sure handed and they trust him.

Tiki Barber used to fumble 8-9 times a year until Coughlin coached him up and they cut it down to 2-3. Why the #### are these #######s scared of a correctable problem?
If they are afraid of him fumbling when why did they use him inside the 10 on a run play? I dont believe that fumbling stuff. If I was worried a guy is gonna fumble I wouldn't use him as a kick returner.

I think it's more of less Lombardi dont have a clue going into week to week what he is gonna do.

Pretty horrible game for Slay. Getting burned on that 4th & 1 45 yarder is inexcusable - ball was badly underthrown. DT made a great move to catch it at the apex of his leap but he's gotta wrap up. There was another play on the sideline Slay tried to shoulder bump tackle Green and the big TE just bounced off him and went all the way inside the 10. Then the ####### lines up wide left on the 53 yard FGA without communicating to anyone what he was doing - 5 yard penalty gave McManus the do over.

Cornelius Lucas & Laken Tomlinson are completely overmatched. Waddle had two dumb penalties. Riley Reiff played better at LT but that's not saying a lot. Ebron whiffed on a couple blocks, couple running plays and two sacks/hurries. Stafford is not a guy who will get the ball out quick, he's gotta be coached to chip the pass rusher on his way off the line.

The defense played better, good enough to get a win with minimal competence from Lombardi's group.
Actually Reif did play pretty good last night. I agree totally about Tomlinson. Right now he has been over matched in every game. If you draft a OG in the first round he had better be able to step right in a contribute. Tomlinson is not nearly ready. They really should stop calling Ebron a TE because he can`t line up and block anyone. The blocked PAT the guy went right around Ebron. On running plays Ebron gets pushed right back into the backfield. They are missing Pettigrew.

If they want to play Bell and Abdullah both they should alter series.

Let Abdullah me the guy for a few drives and let Bell be the guy, I think you would quickly see the series with Bell go nowhere.

If you watch the blocked PAT there's nothing Ebron could have done. For some reason he was giving Lucas an earful on the sideline but they can't slide right. There are six down lineman on that side and 1 backer - can't really account for that with four blockers.

It was illegal, don't blame it on EE. His blocking was better Week 2, I was disappointed in his game last night. Also had a dumb penalty that wiped out a FD. But at least he is more productive this year.

For a group that was missing Levy again, the LBs played well last night. But outside of Ansah we have no one who can consistently put pressure on the QB. IIRC Devin Taylor got the only sack of the night, and that was because Peyton went fetal.

Bynes played a really good game, which was a nice surprise. Old Man Mathis and the safeties did a decent job overall. There were encouraging signs from the defense last night.

Broncos loaded 7 up on the right of the center on the blocked PAT. Should have been a penalty.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/648313933678317568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Freeze the video before the snap. 4 on the left, 7 on the right. Thas was a penalty when the Lions did it on the 53 yard FG.

####ed again.
Win some..lose some. I think we got away with one on the CJs PI call in the end zone. On the replay it looked like Talib made a great play on Calvin.
Calvin made two sick catches with his hands last night - the ball Talib thought he was about to intercept, and the sideline pass on the opposite side. He might not be as dominant as he once was but 30 year old Calvin still has skills. They have GOT TO feed him more. He single handedly took them down the field on that one drive.

If you watch the blocked PAT there's nothing Ebron could have done. For some reason he was giving Lucas an earful on the sideline but they can't slide right. There are six down lineman on that side and 1 backer - can't really account for that with four blockers.

It was illegal, don't blame it on EE. His blocking was better Week 2, I was disappointed in his game last night. Also had a dumb penalty that wiped out a FD. But at least he is more productive this year.
Ebron is more productive this season. The Lions are just hard to watch on offense. Could you imagine Aaron Rodgers with CJ, Tate, Ebron, and AA? Right now Stafford appears to have very little confidence. Even his body language makes him look like a beaten down QB.

Broncos loaded 7 up on the right of the center on the blocked PAT. Should have been a penalty.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/648313933678317568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Freeze the video before the snap. 4 on the left, 7 on the right. Thas was a penalty when the Lions did it on the 53 yard FG.

####ed again.
You can thank the Jeff Triplette crew. Went to the game last night and it was brutal. Triplette was so lost in that game.
Not why they lost, just adds to the aggravation.

Ebron is more productive this season. The Lions are just hard to watch on offense. Could you imagine Aaron Rodgers with CJ, Tate, Ebron, and AA? Right now Stafford appears to have very little confidence. Even his body language makes him look like a beaten down QB.
They have to phase Joique out.

I'm a huge fan of his. It's a great story, man, he's a good guy, great dad, a leader in the locker room and really serious about being a role model. He really is great for Detroit. Fine, he can mayor someday. He just doesn't have anything left.

I'm a huge fan of his. It's a great story, man, he's a good guy, great dad, a leader in the locker room and really serious about being a role model. He really is great for Detroit. Fine, he can mayor someday. He just doesn't have anything left.
Yes, they need either AA or Theo as the single back.

When healthy enough go two TE's (Pettigrew can block) plus the 2 WRS and hope for the best. :shrug:

When healthy enough go two TE's (Pettigrew can block) plus the 2 WRS and hope for the best. :shrug:
An error occurredYou have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Riddick 29 career total carries. Last year 9 carries for 1.8 yards.

Riddick 29 career total carries. Last year 9 carries for 1.8 yards.
Riddick didn't start playing RB until his SR year of college. He was a WR before that.

He's effective and sure handed, he has a role in the passing game.

Maybe it's time to unwrap Zenner and see if he's ready?

Doubt it, though. Caldwell doesn't impress me as a guy who likes to make adjustments. Lombardi will continue to call plays.

A different kind of coach would have seized the OC game day responsibilities and sent Joe up to the press box level to sit with Austin.

Highlights of Caldwell's Monday presser:

Saw some encouraging things last night.

No I haven't considered calling plays. The problem is execution. Joe Lombatdi's role is exchanged.

We still have confidence in Joique (20-22-1.1-1) Bell.

There's never any accountability with the Ford family. Martha Firestone Ford is 90 years old. Nice to see her at the game last night. Bill Ford Jr. is 58; at one time I felt hopeful he would change the culture, but it'll never happen. They might be nice people for all I know but I hate them for allowing this team to wallow in mediocrity for the 52 years they have owned the franchise.

well I think this season might get Mayhew, and Caldwell fired, I say might, because its the lions. Throw Tom Lewand out while they are at it
That would be a reasonable expectation.

But didn't we keep a CPA (Russ Thomas) as the GM for 20 years? Every decision was penny wise. People who think Millen was the worst are too young or have a bad memory. Who was that former MSU coach who asked the reporters "I don't know what you have to do around here to get fired."? Was it Darryl Rogers? S.O.B. probably could have coached a few more years if he hadn't pointed out how inept he was. He was succeeded by Wayne Fontes.

I think Rogers was something like 18-40. Fontes was like 66-67 (and I think he holds the franchise record for most wins.) During the Millen era they were 31-84. If Bill Ford Jr. evaluates like WCF did, he'll probably look at Caldwell after they go 6-10 and say "Welp...he's got a winning record in Detroit, let's give him another year."

well I think this season might get Mayhew, and Caldwell fired, I say might, because its the lions. Throw Tom Lewand out while they are at it
That would be a reasonable expectation.

But didn't we keep a CPA (Russ Thomas) as the GM for 20 years? Every decision was penny wise. People who think Millen was the worst are too young or have a bad memory. Who was that former MSU coach who asked the reporters "I don't know what you have to do around here to get fired."? Was it Darryl Rogers? S.O.B. probably could have coached a few more years if he hadn't pointed out how inept he was. He was succeeded by Wayne Fontes.

I think Rogers was something like 18-40. Fontes was like 66-67 (and I think he holds the franchise record for most wins.) During the Millen era they were 31-84. If Bill Ford Jr. evaluates like WCF did, he'll probably look at Caldwell after they go 6-10 and say "Welp...he's got a winning record in Detroit, let's give him another year."
or they give him another year because they don't want to pay him and another coach next year.

Users who are viewing this thread