What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (10 Viewers)

mbuehner said:
jurb26 said:
mbuehner said:
14 points against the Bears huh? Stafford...
Somehow, if they scored 35 and lost I think you'd still be posting.
Lets just all calm down and see what happens next week then.
Probably at least 3 of every 4 Lions fans expect a loss next week and then in the playoffs. It's not what we hope for, but it's what we expect, and it's hard to be disappointed with that when most people said Detroit wouldn't make the playoffs.

Collectively, if Lions fans were any calmer, they'd be dead.

mbuehner said:
jurb26 said:
mbuehner said:
Probably at least 3 of every 4 Lions fans expect a loss next week and then in the playoffs. It's not what we hope for, but it's what we expect, and it's hard to be disappointed with that when most people said Detroit wouldn't make the playoffs.

This is one of the most active fan threads on this board and the Lions fans pack the stadium when they aren't going 0-16. Considering this is one of the least successful franchise in all of professional sports, their fan base is extremely loyal. I am not sure why a bit of skepticism is not expected. Any knowledgeable football fan know the odds are long for Detroit to go into GB and win. Vegas is giving Detroit 12 points as the most lopsided game of the week. GB has not been playing that well, so there is a chance. I like the chances better against Dallas in the Playoffs, where the weather will be nicer and the Lions defense may be able to force some mistakes out of Romo.

The Lions are locked into the #6 spot with a loss at GB. So unless both Seattle and Arizona loses, that means they will be at #3 Dallas in the first round. If both Sea and Az lose and Dallas wins, they would go to Az. And if they win, they are virtually locked into the #2 spot and can only move into the #1 if both Sea and Az lose.

mbuehner said:
jurb26 said:
mbuehner said:

This is one of the most active fan threads on this board and the Lions fans pack the stadium when they aren't going 0-16. Considering this is one of the least successful franchise in all of professional sports, their fan base is extremely loyal. I am not sure why a bit of skepticism is not expected. Any knowledgeable football fan know the odds are long for Detroit to go into GB and win. Vegas is giving Detroit 12 points as the most lopsided game of the week. GB has not been playing that well, so there is a chance. I like the chances better against Dallas in the Playoffs, where the weather will be nicer and the Lions defense may be able to force some mistakes out of Romo.

The Lions are locked into the #6 spot with a loss at GB. So unless both Seattle and Arizona loses, that means they will be at #3 Dallas in the first round. If both Sea and Az lose and Dallas wins, they would go to Az. And if they win, they are virtually locked into the #2 spot and can only move into the #1 if both Sea and Az lose.
Who's giving 12? It opened at 47 O/U GB -7-1/2 and didn't move much overnight.

Line: -8 GB O/U 48

re: attitude of Lions fans

It's not that hard to figure out. Pain avoidance ranks right with fight or flight as a basic human instinct.

mbuehner said:
jurb26 said:
mbuehner said:

Who's giving 12? It opened at 47 O/U GB -7-1/2 and didn't move much overnight.

Line: -8 GB O/U 48

re: attitude of Lions fans

It's not that hard to figure out. Pain avoidance ranks right with fight or flight as a basic human instinct.
Nevermind. I googled GB vs. Detroit Line and it took me to a page with this week's game of GB vs. TB. Still 8 points is a significant underdog.

I am pretty sure they can't play Arizona in the first round.

If the Lions win they have a bye.

If the Lions lose they are the 6th seed.

They play Dallas if Seattle wins.

They play Seattle if Dallas wins and Seattle and Arizona lose.

If Arizona wins and Seattle loses Dallas is the 3 seed

In Drew Sharp's column today....(waiting for the boos to subside)...it sounded as if Reggie Bush, Rob Sims and Larry Warford were unaware of the significance of 21 years and 23 years.

"Wow. Really??!"

As someone mentioned in the game thread, it's not unlike the 2004 Red Sox. One playoff victory in the Super Bowl era, haven't won a road playoff game since their last championship (1957), etc etc etc.

Sooner or later a Lions team will come along that says screw all that and just gets it done. Maybe this is that team. Green Bay is eminently beatable; Detroit has beaten them at home two years running, and Buffalo has an offense as challenged as the Lions. Invincible at Lambeau? Three losses and a tie at home last year. They've lost 5 of the last 8 playoff games at Lambeau.

Beatable, but history is on their side. Yesterday was the first outdoor & below 40 win in years, and both the franchise and the QB have a history of coming up small. Can't wait to find out if this year is different.

In Drew Sharp's column today....(waiting for the boos to subside)...it sounded as if Reggie Bush, Rob Sims and Larry Warford were unaware of the significance of 21 years and 23 years.

"Wow. Really??!"

As someone mentioned in the game thread, it's not unlike the 2004 Red Sox. One playoff victory in the Super Bowl era, haven't won a road playoff game since their last championship (1957), etc etc etc.

Sooner or later a Lions team will come along that says screw all that and just gets it done. Maybe this is that team. Green Bay is eminently beatable; Detroit has beaten them at home two years running, and Buffalo has an offense as challenged as the Lions. Invincible at Lambeau? Three losses and a tie at home last year. They've lost 5 of the last 8 playoff games at Lambeau.

Beatable, but history is on their side. Yesterday was the first outdoor & below 40 win in years, and both the franchise and the QB have a history of coming up small. Can't wait to find out if this year is different.
There is no doubt this team can win in GB. This will be a signature win in the Lions can pull it off. A win that is needed to put a stamp on this season. I thin kit will take at least 24 points though to get it done. Can the Lions score 24 in the cold on the road?

"Wow. Really??!"

There is no doubt this team can win in GB. This will be a signature win in the Lions can pull it off. A win that is needed to put a stamp on this season. I thin kit will take at least 24 points though to get it done. Can the Lions score 24 in the cold on the road?
They won their first game in forever in the cold yesterday, so at least that streak is over. But GB "should win" as they say.

Interesting that NE played almost the same game yesterday. On the road vs a divisional rival they were a big favorite over. Took them most of the game to win that one. But they won.

Oh, and guys please don't feed the mouth breathing trolls. Easiest thing in the world is to pick out one team out of 32 and say they can't win.

Last edited by a moderator:
This team has to get a home playoff game or it is 1 and done
I think it's one and done either way. They don't have the killer instinct. It's as if Herm Edwards is the head coach. They are totally relying on their defense to keep them in the game when they should be destroying team with the offensive weapons they have and the defense they have.If they keep playing not to lose, they will lose.
So Caldwell comes in and leads this team to a 11-4 record and people talk crap. Killer instinct? lol Your negativity combined with the rhetoric is funny.
Don't worry, if they beat Green bay next week everyone will jump on board.

Even if they don't win next week, they can beat the south winner or Dallas. Seattle obviously would take some lucky breaks.

"Wow. Really??!"

They won their first game in forever in the cold yesterday, so at least that streak is over. But GB "should win" as they say.Interesting that NE played almost the same game yesterday. On the road vs a divisional rival they were a big favorite over. Took them most of the game to win that one. But they won.

Oh, and guys please don't feed the mouth breathing trolls. Easiest thing in the world is to pick out one team out of 32 and say they can't win.
The problem is Detroit has had about 9 of these games this year while the rest of the true contenders have had 3 or 4 at most.

I don't think they can play the South winner.

I think it is 1 or 2 seed with a win.

3 seed with a tie and Dallas win.

6 seed with a loss.

"Wow. Really??!"

They won their first game in forever in the cold yesterday, so at least that streak is over. But GB "should win" as they say.Interesting that NE played almost the same game yesterday. On the road vs a divisional rival they were a big favorite over. Took them most of the game to win that one. But they won.

The problem is Detroit has had about 9 of these games this year while the rest of the true contenders have had 3 or 4 at most.
A lot of years Detroit had about 9 of these games. Difference is this year they are not losing them.

I've been a Lions fan for almost 40 years now. My dad and uncle have been fans even longer. We've long suffered. Saturday night we had a little family get-together and I put it out there: "This team doesn't care about the Lambeau history. They're going to beat GB in Week 17 at Lambeau."

My dad and uncle have seen so much more Lions suffering than I have that they almost instinctively reached into their pockets and put their money on the table. So now I have a pair of bets riding on Detroit winning in Green Bay for the first time since the invention of the wheel.

And I like my chances.

I've been a Lions fan for almost 40 years now. My dad and uncle have been fans even longer. We've long suffered. Saturday night we had a little family get-together and I put it out there: "This team doesn't care about the Lambeau history. They're going to beat GB in Week 17 at Lambeau."

My dad and uncle have seen so much more Lions suffering than I have that they almost instinctively reached into their pockets and put their money on the table. So now I have a pair of bets riding on Detroit winning in Green Bay for the first time since the invention of the wheel.

And I like my chances.
In years past I would have been anxious about both the Vikings and Bears, especially when they down 2 TDs early versus Minnesota, and practically handed Chicago 14 points due to poor special teams yesterday. But I was pretty calm and confident about their ability to overcome mistakes. Once they got the lead, I knew the defense would close it out.

Unlike past seasons, this group doesn't get down on itself. They used to play like they had to be perfect to win. That self-imposed pressure would lend itself to compounding mistakes.

This week we might not have Raiola. Nothing they can do about either way. If he's suspended - he should be IMO - Swanson has exactly 7 days to perfect his exchange with Stafford. Big challenge.

Dallas would be a good matchup for Detroit.

Riola suspended a game for his stomp. What is with the Lions stomping opposing players?

Da Guru said:
I don`t understand...I have watched the Lions my whole life and now they are 11-4 for the first time in my life. I should be so excited about this team yet for some reason I am not. I am happy they won but the Bears quit weeks ago and Jimmy started his first game in 4 years.
I have the same feeling. The reality is the 11-4 record is a bit of a mirage due to favorable scheduling and some bad opposing coaching decisions. They only played against 5 teams with a winning record and only 2 of those on the road (lost both). They really should have lost to the Saints and the Falcons but lucked into back to back wins. But good teams find a way to win. And if they somehow beat the Packers on Sunday, they will finish with a perfect division record. Has that ever happened before?

Da Guru said:
I don`t understand...I have watched the Lions my whole life and now they are 11-4 for the first time in my life. I should be so excited about this team yet for some reason I am not. I am happy they won but the Bears quit weeks ago and Jimmy started his first game in 4 years.
I have the same feeling. The reality is the 11-4 record is a bit of a mirage due to favorable scheduling and some bad opposing coaching decisions. They only played against 5 teams with a winning record and only 2 of those on the road (lost both). They really should have lost to the Saints and the Falcons but lucked into back to back wins. But good teams find a way to win. And if they somehow beat the Packers on Sunday, they will finish with a perfect division record. Has that ever happened before?
Nope.

They were in the West/Western Division 1934-66, and it never happened. From 1967 on they've been in the Central or North with the same 3 teams and thus had 6 divisional games for 23 seasons, and 8 divisional games for the other 25 seasons (1977-2001) when the Bucs were part of the Central.

The best divisional records in the 81 seasons in Detroit:

• 1983 7-1 v. Divisional foes, 2-6 rest of schedule
  • 1991 6-2
  • 1995 6-2
  • 1997 6-2
Lots of 4-2 and 3-3 (or worse) seasons since the SB era began, but those are the only seasons with 5 or more division wins (5-0 so far this year).

Again, while SRS and Power Rankings and your eyeballs might say otherwise, this is already a top 5 season in Detroit Lions history regardless of what comes in the next few weeks. And again, it's a very modest history.

Da Guru said:
I get the opposite feeling.

I'd rather have a team finding ways to win with defense than have the illusion of some high flying offense that you know will disappear in the playoffs.

Detroit's Road to the Superbowl. Win @ GB.....Win against Dallas at Home.....Win @ Seattle.....Win SB against NE.....

Tough road ahead.....Those are the top 4 power ranked teams.

Although defense has been the hallmark of this team, any deep run will necessitate Mathew playing at a high level for a sustained stretch.

IOW, not happening. But boy would I be ecstatic if I got that call wrong.

Caldwell: People don't appreciate Matthew Stafford

By Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press

Updated 9h ago

Matthew Stafford has had an up-and-down season for the Detroit Lions.

He has cut back on his interceptions after two straight years of double-digit turnovers and is completing his highest percentage of passes since 2011, but his passing yards are down and rocky performances like the one he had in Sunday's win over the Chicago Bears have left plenty of people yearning for more.

Lions coach Jim Caldwell isn't one of them.

"I think there's a lack of appreciation for him around here, I think, at times," Caldwell said at his weekly news conference Monday. "Let me just tell you something: He's a man's man. He's a tough guy. He gets hit out there every single ballgame, he hangs in there, and there may be one he'd like to have back, but then there's a couple others, or one other that's probably not all his fault."

Stafford threw two first-half interceptions on forced passes against the Bears, and after the game he acknowledged he has to be better for the Lions to win the tough games left on their schedule.

The Lions (11-4) play the Green Bay Packers in a de facto NFC North championship game Sunday at Lambeau Field and then open the playoffs in early January.

"Obviously, from my point of view, can't have the two turnovers," Stafford said. "The first one I've got to get out of the back of the end zone. If I'm going to make the decision to put it there, I've got to throw it all the way out. The second one, it's an aggressive throw. That guy made a nice play, I'll give him credit for it."

Stafford completed just 22 of 39 passes for 243 yards Sunday, but he became the first quarterback in Lions history with four straight 4,000-yard passing seasons, and Caldwell said his worth goes beyond the box score.

"I think when you look at the numbers and all that kind of stuff, we make assessments based on that, and that's it," Caldwell said. "But he also did a lot of great things for us. I'll tell you what, he's progressing. I'm proud of the way that guy's playing, and I think also that you're going to see him get better and better."

Contact Dave Birkett: dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

This is going to be a great game. Lowest points the Packers have scored in game this year was 7 against the Lions. At home, the Packers have scored over 50 points twice, and over 40 points twice. Lowest scoring game at home for the Pack was against NE when they scored 26. What does this mean, nothing. But I do think it means that Stafford and Calvin are going to need to pick up their game, I think the numbers show that it will take more then 19 points for the Lions to win. Packers are just an average team on the road, which is why they really need this win if they want to advance in the playoffs. Nothing against the Lions, great season, made the play offs the arrow is pointing up. I agree if they(Lions) end up losing in Green Bay, they match up really well against Dallas in the playoffs.

Good luck to both teams, and here's to no one getting hurt in the game :banned:

3 Lions going to the Pro Bowl. Honestly, should be 5-7 (case for Iggy & Ziggy is weaker, so let's just look at the two obvious ones).

Congrats to Suh for making another Pro Bowl, great year, best he's looked since his rookie year. Happy that Quinn made his first; leads the NFL in interceptions, yet still very fundamentally sound. Megatron got his fifth straight? hahaha OK whatever guess it's automatic for some guys - he didn't deserve it this year.

Who did? Oh, maybe the best pass coverage OLB per Pro Football Focus who also leads the NFL in solo tackles? Levy ranks third in NFL with 140 total tackles and leads league with 109 solo tackles (only player over 100). Hes recorded 10-plus tackles in 10 games this year. This is his second consecutive year with 100-plus tackles. PFF ranked him as the third best OLB behind Mack and Miller.

So, yeah, shut up with the RW and OBJ "snubs". DeAndre is literally the best in the conference at every facet of his position, and he's the fifth alternate? ####. That. Noise.

Tate III? What do you think? Ranks fourth in the NFL in receptions (96) and seventh in yards (1,286), second in the NFL with 33 receptions on third down (Antonio Brown, 35) and his 524 yards on third down lead the NFL. Also has 694 yards after the catch, which also leads the NFL. But not one of the four best in the NFC. Fourth Alternate.

ETA: OK OK obviously Levy isn't an edge rusher so he's not "literally the best at every facet of his position." Still, dude got jobbed.

GB BY THE NUMBERS

At the beginning of each week, we'll take an early look at Detroit's upcoming opponent by zeroing in on some interesting numbers.

This week, the Green Bay Packers.

The number of major team statistical categories in which the Packers rank in the top five. Despite being one of just seven NFL teams with 11 or more wins, Green Bay is outside the top five in total offense, passing yards per game, rushing yards per game, total defense, passing yards allowed per game and rushing yards allowed per game. The Packers rank 12th in yards allowed per game (348.6) and 12th in points allowed per game (21.9).

25-of-29

The number of times the Lions sent four pass rushers (25) on dropbacks by Aaron Rodgers (29) in the teams' first meeting this season (a 19-7 win by Detroit on Sept.21). Sending just four pass rushers on 25-of-29 dropbacks still kept Rodgers in check. He completed just 59.3 percent of his passes with an average of 5.8 yards per attempt average, both career lows for Rodgers against the Lions. His 59.3 completion rate in Week 3 is his third lowest of the season. His lowest came in Week 15 at Buffalo when he completed just 40.5 percent of his passes.

The amount of rushing attempts Rodgers had against Tampa Bay after straining his calf in the first quarter. It was the first game in five weeks that Rodgers had zero rushing attempts. Despite staying in the pocket for all 71 snaps, Rodgers completed 20-of-23 pass attempts for 244 yards and a touchdown. The 87 percent completion rate was Rodgers' highest completion rate of the season.

The number of catches for Randall Cobb against the Buccaneers last week, a new career high for the fourth-year wide receiver. Cobb wasn't thrown a pass until the Packers' fourth possession of the game but still finished with a career-high 14 targets. He also finished with a career high 131 yards. Cobb wasn't alone with his 100+ yards receiving, teammate Jordy Nelson finished with nine catches for 113 yards. It was the third time this season where Cobb and Nelson went over 100 yards in the same game. The other were at Chicago and against Philadelphia. Cobbs' lowest production of the season? Week 3 against your Detroit Lions, when he had just three receptions (season low) for 34 yards (season low).

The total number of interceptions for Rodgers this season. His five interceptions are the lowest in any season since becoming a full-time starter in Green Bay in 2008. That season, his fourth in the league, he threw a career high 13 interceptions. He only threw six interceptions in 2013, but only started nine games during the regular season. His five interceptions this season have come in three games, all losses. He had one in Week 1 at Seattle (a loss), two in Week 8 at New Orleans (a loss) and two in Week 15 at Buffalo (a loss). The one Green Bay loss this season when he didn't throw an interception? Week 3 against the Detroit Lions.

WEATHER: not even freezing in either city, balmy 45 in the D.

Pretty decent forecast for late December: should be about 27 PC at Kickoff, dropping to low 20s during the 2nd half.

Last time Detroit won an outdoor under 30 game? Hell IDK, long time, not looking it up because I'm pretty sure I'll hear/read it 500 times in the next four days.

I'd rather have a team finding ways to win with defense than have the illusion of some high flying offense that you know will disappear in the playoffs.
And what if the defense is also a bit of an illusion due to having played against mostly crappy teams.

And what if the defense is also a bit of an illusion due to having played against mostly crappy teams.
What it's are great.. But if you have a watched this defense I don't know how you could perceive it as anything other than what it is.

I think they have less than a 20 percent chance of winning next week in Dallas. I know they have won their in past seasons, but this Dallas team is different and if the Packers can put up around 150 yards rushing against the Lions. I think Murray and the Cowboys can as well.

If I am the Packers I am rooting for the Lions to win next week, I think the Cowboys are a bad matchup for the Packers and for whatever reason the Cowboys play really well on the road.

I think they have less than a 20 percent chance of winning next week in Dallas. I know they have won their in past seasons, but this Dallas team is different and if the Packers can put up around 150 yards rushing against the Lions. I think Murray and the Cowboys can as well.

If I am the Packers I am rooting for the Lions to win next week, I think the Cowboys are a bad matchup for the Packers and for whatever reason the Cowboys play really well on the road.
This Cowboys team is 4-4 there.

But Stafford has to play better.

Swanson at RG if Warford can't go?

That is why I give them about a 20 percent chance. If this was a team that played well at home I would give them less than a 5 percent chance

Stafford playing in his hometown seems like a good place to end his streak. Plus we have good history versus the Cowgirls.

I like this Det/Dal matchup. Dal Has been firing on all cylinders offensively the pays few weeks and Det is still a very good defensive team. That matchup alone makes this game worth watching. Another nice aspect is that Dal struggles to create pressure upfront so the Det oline will be somewhat neutralized and I think allow Det to score if needed to keep pace with Dal. Eventually I think Dal wins. They are just too strong offensively, playing hot and at home. Looking forward to this game, though.

Users who are viewing this thread