What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (10 Viewers)

BobbyLayne said:
Does that make Slay the highest paid DB?

Big Play, big pay. Good for him. 
Probably good for both.  Slay was not a Matty-Patty fan and Lions were never going to give Slay a new deal.  Only issue is why did they wait?  Probably could have got a 2 last season.

Good for him, love the guy as a personality but it made no sense for us to extend for a myriad of reasons. 

We've not really made any splashy signings but Shelton, Collins and Harmon seems to be decent players and will sing from the same hym sheet  with regards to a Patricia defence. Nice collection of picks to load up some more with as well 

It’s just whether a Patty D is actually a recipe for success or not I guess. It won’t matter how many decent ex Pat players and non malcontents you bring in if the system just won’t work. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhat Hot Take: I think Trufant and Slay are equals. For the money, I'd rather have Trufant. Add in a 3rd and a 5th, and I think Detroit won that swap.

Keep seeing that we now have five picks inside the top 85. I can only count 4, what am I missing ? 1st round, 2nd round, 2 x 3rd round of which pick 85 is the one we just received from the Eagles. Likely, I am missing something somewhere that was received in a trade

EDIT - Schefter reported it  

Keep seeing that we now have five picks inside the top 85. I can only count 4, what am I missing ? 1st round, 2nd round, 2 x 3rd round of which pick 85 is the one we just received from the Eagles. Likely, I am missing something somewhere that was received in a trade

EDIT - Schefter reported it  
I saw that too. Also Ian Rappoport tweeted that the Dolphins have had a lot of contact with Tua and could take him with their pick at 3. He then deleted it. I wonder if this a weird coincidence or if these insiders know that a Lions-Fins deal is imminent. 

"the Miami Dolphins and Los Angeles Chargers, sitting at Nos. 5 and 6, are primed to compete for Tagovailoa if they don't want to settle for the next best option, whether that's Justin Herbert or Jordan Love. 

As it currently stands, the Dolphins are set to roll into 2020 with Ryan Fitzpatrick under center, while the Chargers, after striking out in the Brady sweepstakes, will turn to Tyrod Taylor. Both are capable starters, but long-term solutions, they are not. 

Here's where it gets interesting for the Lions, assuming they're truly eyeing Okudah as the long-term replacement for Slay. The teams directly behind them on the draft board, the Giants and Dolphins, both invested heavily in a cornerback in free agency.

The Giants are giving James Bradberry $45 million over three years ($32 million guaranteed) to pair with last year's first-round pick DeAndre Baker, while the Dolphins are set to award the largest contract to a cornerback in NFL history after agreeing to a five-year, $82.5 million pact with Byron Jones. Plus, they have Xavien Howard, another high-paid talent on the opposite side. 

All that to say those two teams aren't in the market for another corner, leaving no logical threats to the Lions for Okudah if they move down, barring another team making an unlikely trade up into the top five for the talented defender. 

A final scenario that could play out is either the Dolphins or Chargers move up to No. 2 to ensure their quarterback, allowing Ohio State defensive end Chase Young to slide to Detroit. 

Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but the dominoes are setting up for things to go the Lions way in April. "

@mysportsupdate

Darius Slay unloads: Says his relationship w/ Matt Patricia was rough & he didn't respect Patricia as a person. Also said Patricia told him he wasn't a leader & that he had no business working out w/ Aqib Talib & Richard Sherman b/c those guys were elite & Slay was "just good."

@mysportsupdate

Darius Slay unloads: Says his relationship w/ Matt Patricia was rough & he didn't respect Patricia as a person. Also said Patricia told him he wasn't a leader & that he had no business working out w/ Aqib Talib & Richard Sherman b/c those guys were elite & Slay was "just good."
He also said that in the first year Patricia was there, Patricia told Slay to stop sucking X's **** (referring to a wide receiver whom Slay posted a picture of on IG). Slay said from there, they never got a long. 

Ilov80s said:
He also said that in the first year Patricia was there, Patricia told Slay to stop sucking X's **** (referring to a wide receiver whom Slay posted a picture of on IG). Slay said from there, they never got a long. 
Sounds like the same kind of stuff that caused McDaniels to lose control of the Broncos.

Fundamental lack of respect.

I think that's the biggest thing that causes these New England guys to fail.  They come in and try to implement "The Patriot Way" as it is today.  The Patriot way didn't happen overnight.  It happened because it came along slowly and they had a QB that turned into the GOAT and was willing to take discounts and fall in line.

I think that's the biggest thing that causes these New England guys to fail.  They come in and try to implement "The Patriot Way" as it is today.  The Patriot way didn't happen overnight.  It happened because it came along slowly and they had a QB that turned into the GOAT and was willing to take discounts and fall in line.
All this plus  BB > his former flunkies.

Somewhat Hot Take: I think Trufant and Slay are equals. For the money, I'd rather have Trufant. Add in a 3rd and a 5th, and I think Detroit won that swap.
If you want to look at it that way.  Lions traded Slay for Trufant, plus a 3 and 5.  Plus saved 10 million in cap space.  Looking at the Slay trade that way it seems acceptable.  The way I see it the Lions were never going to extend Slay, Slay was probably going to hold out and miss games this season. Given the situation with Matty-Patty he had to be traded.

I'm still pretty optimistic about the Lions/Patricia. 

Last year they were devastated by injuries and yet competitive (within one score) in vast majority of games, even with guys named Driskel and Blough slinging it for literally half the season. Displayed a lot of heart down the stretch when the season was lost.

I'm puzzled by letting Glasgow go, but other than that IMO they've had a solid free agency.

The NFC North is not that strong and the 2020 schedule not that difficult.

If they can monetize the 3rd pick and fill a few more holes in the draft the Lions can be solid. Offense has the potential to be top 10.

Last year they were devastated by injuries and yet competitive (within one score) in vast majority of games, even with guys named Driskel and Blough slinging it for literally half the season. Displayed a lot of heart down the stretch when the season was lost.

I'm puzzled by letting Glasgow go, but other than that IMO they've had a solid free agency.

If they can monetize the 3rd pick and fill a few more holes in the draft the Lions can be solid. Offense has the potential to be top 10.
They actually do have a path, just not sure if the current braintrust can pull it off. I'm not holding my breath though.

They actually do have a path, just not sure if the current braintrust can pull it off. I'm not holding my breath though.
I really do think that there are several people on this board I would trust to pull it off before the Lions' "braintrust."  I really do think it is that clear where they have to go.  Make Miami believe they have to trade the 26th pick plus the 5th to move up to the 3rd pick.  I think SD is probably also interested, but Miami has better assets for right now.  I'm not convinced that drafting Tua isn't the right decision, only to force Miami (or another team) to trade with you to acquire him.  It will prevent them from being able to make a cheaper trade with the Giants.

Assuming they move down to the 5th, they can either try to trade down one spot with SD (assuming someone else is trying to move up in front of SD) or use the pick on either Okudah or Simmons.

The Slay trade bothers me, not because they traded him, but because it doesn't seem to me they got full value.  Yes, Slay is older, but the Rams gave up two 1sts and a 4th for Ramsey, and the Lions received a 3rd and 5th.  After next season, the Lions were likely going to get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him.  It never seems that the Lions are capable of winning on a trade, with the lone memorable exception of the Roy Williams trade with Dallas.

I bring up the concern about trading, because I would not be surprised for a second that the Lions are unable to work a trade, only to have Miami trade the 26th pick with the Giants to move up one spot.  They just don't seem competent enough get it done.

Also, today's players will fall in line with a hardass HC if he's won 6 SB. They won't for someone without that kind of track record. 

You sound like me 15 years ago. 

Ilov80s said:
I did the Shark Pool Mock Draft for the Lions and was pretty happy with the outcome.

1. Chase Young DE OSU

2. Jeff Gladney CB TCU

3. Lloyd Cushenberry IOL LSU

3. Joshua Uche Edge/OLB Michigan 

Thoughts?
My Tua pick by the redskins didn’t get much love, some seem to think Haskins is going to be good. Again, likely smokescreen to drive up trade possibility, but I didn’t really like their Haskins pick last year and picking for them went with the better qb. 

My Tua pick by the redskins didn’t get much love, some seem to think Haskins is going to be good. Again, likely smokescreen to drive up trade possibility, but I didn’t really like their Haskins pick last year and picking for them went with the better qb. 
I don’t think Haskins is the answer either so I get it. The Cardinals had success doing the quick flip on 1st round QBs which opens the door for other teams to try it. 

Ilov80s said:
I did the Shark Pool Mock Draft for the Lions and was pretty happy with the outcome.

1. Chase Young DE OSU

2. Jeff Gladney CB TCU

Thoughts?
You crushed it for the Lions. Every one of those guys were higher on draft boards than where you took them. Of course the real Lions draft won't go like that. Quinn will burn at least a couple picks on reaches. 

Looking at the Lions' off-season, I can't help thinking of Einstein's definition of insanity.

Once again, the Lions continue to do the same thing over and over again, expecting it to work this time.  The Lions always pay players in free agency, but they pay guys a lot of money, based on what hope they can do.  The Lions are going to give them a bigger role, and they never pan out.  I think they did that with Big V and with Harmon, planning on giving both of them bigger roles than they've had.  There are some teams that have the ability to do this, but the Lions certainly aren't one of them.  The teams that are able to do this are stable teams, with a solid foundation.

Let's face it, the Lions are definitely in the bottom 5 teams in the NFL in identifying and developing talent.  They ALWAYS reach for guys both in the draft and free agency, and those reaches NEVER work.  If ever there was a team that should default to trusting the "consensus," it's the Lions.

Looking at the Lions' off-season, I can't help thinking of Einstein's definition of insanity.

Once again, the Lions continue to do the same thing over and over again, expecting it to work this time.  The Lions always pay players in free agency, but they pay guys a lot of money, based on what hope they can do.  The Lions are going to give them a bigger role, and they never pan out.  I think they did that with Big V and with Harmon, planning on giving both of them bigger roles than they've had.  There are some teams that have the ability to do this, but the Lions certainly aren't one of them.  The teams that are able to do this are stable teams, with a solid foundation.

Let's face it, the Lions are definitely in the bottom 5 teams in the NFL in identifying and developing talent.  They ALWAYS reach for guys both in the draft and free agency, and those reaches NEVER work.  If ever there was a team that should default to trusting the "consensus," it's the Lions.
They have to reach in FA because nobody wants to be in detroit.

Not just the football team, the city.

Tornacl said:

I don’t disagree, and it’s ridiculous that they drafted sanders and Calvin, two of the best ever, and this is still true. 

1. Chase Young DE OSU

2. Jeff Gladney CB TCU

Thoughts?
Have a feeling even if Chase is there at 3, Quinn will take Okudah. Love your draft. Talent meets need. 

Have a feeling even if Chase is there at 3, Quinn will take Okudah. Love your draft. Talent meets need. 
If the Lions had good management, they'd be in a perfect spot in the draft. Either draft Chase or trade back with someone who wants Tua.

Which is why they will probably stay at 3 and take a TE.

Users who are viewing this thread