What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (14 Viewers)

Lions plan on drafting a RB..again.

--Mikel Leshoure's legal troubles will not impact how the Lions draft for this simple reason - drafting a running back was already on their radar. They have spent a lot of time researching Oregon's LaMichael James and they are also intrigued by Boise State's Doug Martin.

"You never can have enough depth at running back," Schwartz said. Especially when there are big question marks around the top two on our depth chart - Jahvid Best (concussions) and Leshoure (coming off Achilles surgery and the legal trouble).

Last edited by a moderator:
Javid Best update. Not good. Would not be surprised at all if Best retires before the season.

http://www.rantsport...e-part-in-otas/
:confused:
Just saying don`t be shocked if Best does not play again. Even is he does play I would not expect near the touches he had before his latest concussion. If LeShoure comes back healthy, and Kevin Smith with a full training camp under his belt, and the Lions already saying they are looking to pick up another RB, the slices of the pie will be much smaller.

'Da Guru said:
'matuski said:
'Da Guru said:
Javid Best update. Not good. Would not be surprised at all if Best retires before the season.

Just saying don`t be shocked if Best does not play again. Even is he does play I would not expect near the touches he had before his latest concussion. If LeShoure comes back healthy, and Kevin Smith with a full training camp under his belt, and the Lions already saying they are looking to pick up another RB, the slices of the pie will be much smaller.
That would be a shame if it happened. Always been a Best fan and he's a good kid.

'Da Guru said:
'matuski said:
'Da Guru said:

That would be a shame if it happened. Always been a Best fan and he's a good kid.
It wouldn't surprise me if he never played again either. Close to 6 months since his last hit & he still hasn't been cleared for contact. He's a real wildcard in fantasy drafts, because you should be able to get him for cheap & if healthy, he could be a difference maker.

'Da Guru said:
'matuski said:
'Da Guru said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he never played again either. Close to 6 months since his last hit & he still hasn't been cleared for contact. He's a real wildcard in fantasy drafts, because you should be able to get him for cheap & if healthy, he could be a difference maker.
If Best does play I really do not see him getting more than 10 touches a game from here on in.

one plus for detroit fans is that you only have to play in minn one time this year which means there is only one week where this a realistic chance a stadium will collapse on your entire team and staff

Anyone know what kind of mark up to expect if trying to get some Lions-Texans tickets for Thanksgiving Day? Pretty tough to get?

Sun 9/9St. Louis Rams 1:00 pmSun 9/16San Francisco 49ers at San Francisco 8:20 pmSun 9/23Tennessee Titans at Tennessee 1:00 pmSun 9/30Minnesota Vikings 1:00 pmByeSun 10/14Philadelphia Eagles at Philadelphia 1:00 pmMon 10/22Chicago Bears at Chicago 8:30 pmSun 10/28Seattle Seahawks 1:00 pmSun 11/4Jacksonville Jaguars at Jacksonville 1:00 pmSun 11/11Minnesota Vikings at Minnesota 1:00 pmSun 11/18Green Bay Packers 1:00 pmThu 11/22Houston Texans 12:30 pmSun 12/2Indianapolis Colts 1:00 pmSun 12/9Green Bay Packers at Green Bay 8:20 pmSun 12/16Arizona Cardinals at Arizona 4:05 pmSat 12/22Atlanta Falcons 8:30 pmSun 12/30Chicago Bears 1:00 pm
9-7

Sun 9/9St. Louis Rams 1:00 pmSun 9/16San Francisco 49ers at San Francisco 8:20 pmSun 9/23Tennessee Titans at Tennessee 1:00 pmSun 9/30Minnesota Vikings 1:00 pmByeSun 10/14Philadelphia Eagles at Philadelphia 1:00 pmMon 10/22Chicago Bears at Chicago 8:30 pmSun 10/28Seattle Seahawks 1:00 pmSun 11/4Jacksonville Jaguars at Jacksonville 1:00 pmSun 11/11Minnesota Vikings at Minnesota 1:00 pmSun 11/18Green Bay Packers 1:00 pmThu 11/22Houston Texans 12:30 pmSun 12/2Indianapolis Colts 1:00 pmSun 12/9Green Bay Packers at Green Bay 8:20 pmSun 12/16Arizona Cardinals at Arizona 4:05 pmSat 12/22Atlanta Falcons 8:30 pmSun 12/30Chicago Bears 1:00 pm
9-7
Yup it will be hard to get to last years 10-6, but maybe another wild card with 9-7.

'Leroy Hoard said:
'Da Guru said:
'Leroy Hoard said:
9-7
Yup it will be hard to get to last years 10-6, but maybe another wild card with 9-7.
I say 11-5 if they stay somewhat healthy. This schedule isn't terrible.That said they better do something about the RB position. It's high time we find someone that can be trusted every down and can take some pressure off of our passing game. Kevin Smith isn't going to last the season. Best and Leshoure may not even be playing. That leaves Keiland Williams and Joquie Bell. Yeeesh.Then there is the Avril situation. I sincerely hope we do not pay him 10.6 million dollars. Average of about 6-7 million is what I think he is worth when you look at the average salaries in the league. I hope they trade him on draft day and get some picks or move up by trading him and their #23 pick.It's obvious we will be drafting a DB this draft. I trust Mayhew and Schwartz have their eyes on someone. Just don't know if they make a bold move for one of the top guys like they tried last year, or if they find some value in the rounds 2 and 3.

'Leroy Hoard said:
'Da Guru said:
'Leroy Hoard said:
9-7
I say 11-5 if they stay somewhat healthy. This schedule isn't terrible.That said they better do something about the RB position. It's high time we find someone that can be trusted every down and can take some pressure off of our passing game. Kevin Smith isn't going to last the season. Best and Leshoure may not even be playing. That leaves Keiland Williams and Joquie Bell. Yeeesh.Then there is the Avril situation. I sincerely hope we do not pay him 10.6 million dollars. Average of about 6-7 million is what I think he is worth when you look at the average salaries in the league. I hope they trade him on draft day and get some picks or move up by trading him and their #23 pick.It's obvious we will be drafting a DB this draft. I trust Mayhew and Schwartz have their eyes on someone. Just don't know if they make a bold move for one of the top guys like they tried last year, or if they find some value in the rounds 2 and 3.
Hard games:ATLHouPhiSF2XGB2XChiAverage games:TennSeaEasy games:2XMinnStlAzJaxIndy

With 10 of their 16 games being in domes this year, Stafford and Calvin are both in for big years again!

With 10 of their 16 games being in domes this year, Stafford and Calvin are both in for big years again!
4 of the 6 outdoor games are all Oct or earlier too. Jack is in Nov, likely nice. GB is in Dec, likely unfriendly.Pretty nice schedule for fantasy points though it would seem.

Asante Samuel is on the block again I hear, not sure if the Lions want to start that talk up again from last summer.

Any reason why they don't take a look at Cedric Benson?
I think they will if his value continues to plummet. Mayhew likes situations like this and using one year prove it contracts.
He seems like a perfect fit to me for those tough yards on early downs. They need a guy who can pick up some chunks when there's nothing there.
With Best and LeShoure being huge ???? I would love to see the Lions grab Benson.

My Picks For The Detroit Lions

Week 1

St. Louis Rams @ Detroit Lions

1-0

Week 2

Detroit Lions @ San Francisco 49ers

1-1

Week 3

Detroit Lions @ Tennessee Titans

2-1

Week 4

Minnesota Vikings @ Detroit Lions

3-1

Week 5

BYE WEEK

3-1

Week 6

Detroit Lions @ Philadelphia Eagles

3-2

Week 7

Detroit Lions @ Chicago Bears

4-2

Week 8

Seattle Seahawks @ Detroit Lions

5-2

Week 9

Detroit Lions @ Jacksonville Jaguars

6-2

Week 10

Detroit Lions @ Minnesota Vikings

7-2

Week 11

Green Bay Packers @ Detroit Lions

7-3

Week 12

Houston Texans @ Detroit Lions

8-3

Week 13

Indianapolis Colts @ Detroit Lions

9-3

Week 14

Detroit Lions @ Green Bay Packers

9-4

Week 15

Detroit Lions @ Arizona Cardinals

10-4

Week 16

Atlanta Falcons @ Detroit Lions

10-5

Week 17

Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions

11-5

List of players that have visited the Lions as of 4/18/2012.

Link

March 12 -- Brandon Brooks, OL, Miami (Ohio)

March 13 -- Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina

March 13 -- Kelechi Osemele, OT, Iowa State

March 14 -- Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State

March 19 -- Braylon Broughton, DE, TCU

March 20 -- Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

March 20 -- Amini Silatolu, OL, Midwestern State

March 21 -- LaMichael James, RB, Oregon

April 9 -- Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois

April 10 -- Zach Brown, LB, North Carolina

April 10 -- Kaelin Burnett, DE, Nevada

April 11 -- David Douglas, WR, Arizona

April 11 -- Kevin Murphy, OT, Harvard

April 13 -- Keith Tandy, CB, West Virginia

April 13 -- J.C. Oram, OL, Weber State

April 13 -- Dennis Kelly, OT, Purdue

April 16 -- Isaiah Frey, CB, Nevada

April 16 -- Derrick Coleman, RB, UCLA

April 17 -- Andre Branch, DE, Clemson

April 17 -- Josh Kaddu, DE, Oregon

April 17 -- Conroy Black, CB, Utah

April 18 -- Bryce Brown, RB, Kansas State

April 18 -- Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall

April 18 -- A.J. Jenkins, WR, Illinois

April 18 -- Lamar Miller, RB, Miami

April 18 -- Rishard Matthews, WR, Nevada

April 18 -- Tyrone Crawford, DE, Boise State (Crawford may have been part of local workout.)

The following is an incomplete list of the 17 players who took part in the Lions local workout day. The players in this group do not count toward the 30 pre-draft visits.

Edwin Baker, RB, Michigan State

Cordell Bell, G, Minnesota-Mankato

Ben Bojicic, C, Bowling Green

David Blackburn, TE, Central Michigan

Troy Burrell, WR, Wayne State

Danny Enright, TE/LS, Oberlin College

Jonas Gray, RB, Notre Dame

Chris Greenwood, CB, Albion

Josh Howard, S, Ball State

Jeremy Jones, S, Wayne State

Joe Long, T, Wayne State

Keshawn Martin, WR, Michigan State

Deon'Tae Pannell, G, Penn State

Justin Siller, WR, Purdue

Depending whether Crawford, a Windsor (Ontario) native, worked out as part of the local group, the Lions either have three or four of their visits remaining as of April 18. There's also a possibility the team has conducted unreported workouts.

I never thought Riley Reiff would fall to the Lions. :excited: :excited: :excited:
I agree, Loved the pick! The Lions HAVE to spend day two concentrating on the secondary though!!! A must, in my book!
Agreed. I'm not sure how much further J. Jenkins is going to fall but if he isn't picked in the top 10 or so of the 2nd round, Det has got to start thinking of ways to move up and get him. He is a 1st round talent, perhaps top 15 talent, and they could land him in the early - mid 2nd. That would be huge.

I never thought Riley Reiff would fall to the Lions. :excited: :excited: :excited:
I thInk we passed on the next Steve Hutchinson for the next Jeff Backus
Only a Lions fan would ##### about a gift like this dropped in his team's lap.
Three time heavyweight state wrestling champ with a record of 121-1. His arm length is shorter than what you want out of a tackle, but this guy has great feet and technique. Solid pick for the Lions.

I don't know much about Reiff but am excited to get a highly rated tackle - just hope he turns out better than our last attempt (Gosder). Excited to see what comes of today.

GO LIONS!

ok seriously a WR in round2?They have done nothing to address the defense
They took Broyles over all available players because they figure he will help them win the most games. He was a unanimous 1st round talent prior to injury. I am a firm believer that the first 2 rounds need to be BPA (obviously outside of taking another QB).Lions are in line to have an elite offense for years. The Patriots just made it to the Super Bowl with an average at best D. Sometimes it is a better decision to make a strength stronger than try to patch up a weakness.

I thought RB as well if it was going to be skill position.....but in Mayhew I trust.
The defense needs help badly in the secondary. The Lions have drafted RBs Best and LeShoure in the first RD. WR Titus Young last year in the second and now another WR. I like Broyles but really do not think WR was a pressing need at all. With Calvin locked up forever, Burleson and Young this was a puzzling pick.

Users who are viewing this thread