What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes? Sutton goes.. (10 Viewers)

Lewis is a great pick there. I hadn't realize he was still on the board.
I don't know much about him. Can he play the Mike? From what I've read he is better against the run than the pass.
He is nicknamed,
. Most saw him as a 3-4 OLB. Mayock just said he reminds of athletically of Lamar Woodley. Likely a special teams guy, situational edge rusher. Long term project at LB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much about him. Can he play the Mike? From what I've read he is better against the run than the pass.
He is nicknamed,
Lots of special teams highlights. A couple good plays from the LB position. I like the bench reps. Good size. Is it a stretch to think he'll take the Sam spot from Durant? I was never high on Durant.

Ok, can someone explain why we traded up for Whitehead? A player with a draft grade in the 50's and not listed in Mayocks top 100? Are we playing Lewis at DE now?

He is nicknamed,
I like that they are drafting defense now. The highlights make Lewis look like he can tackle and they always need players that can wrap up on their defense. With the way the lions play so wide with their ends is he a good player to fill those huge gaps in the running game? Also, looks like lions are definitely have players they are targeting right now as they are moving around the late part of the draft. Hope these players can contribute.

He is nicknamed,
I'm wondering this as well. I've been harping on the Lions for years to acquire solid run stopping LB's. Even more so now with the talent we have on the interior DL. Our DE's are almost guaranteed to have consistent one on one battles. To me, the next logical step is make sure we can penetrate the LB gaps effectively and stop the run.

C'mon!! Dennard right here!!
At least it was a CB. Don't know much about Greenwood but he's local so I will hope we have a lot of tape on him to justify the pick.
Posted on the Lions site by a fan..."4.33 40 yard dash. 42 inch vertical if you were wondering."FAST! Hmmmmm.
also, 6-1 and 195 pounds
Maybe a good shoot for the moon pick at this stage of the draft. Nice measurables... playing for albion has to make it a bit hard to analyze the game tape due to competition level.

At least it was a CB. Don't know much about Greenwood but he's local so I will hope we have a lot of tape on him to justify the pick.
Posted on the Lions site by a fan..."4.33 40 yard dash. 42 inch vertical if you were wondering."FAST! Hmmmmm.
also, 6-1 and 195 pounds
Maybe a good shoot for the moon pick at this stage of the draft. Nice measurables... playing for albion has to make it a bit hard to analyze the game tape due to competition level.
We do need help with the return game. It frustrated me to no end seeing Stefan Logan back there time and time again knowing he's not even close to being the answer.

Wow! Dennard is still there! I know we already drafted two CB's but he would be an absolute steal this late in the draft. And let's face it, we need three starters! LOL. Also, Chris Polk is still available for those that think we need a RB. Also a steal this late. James Brown would also be nice.

Wow! Dennard is still there! I know we already drafted two CB's but he would be an absolute steal this late in the draft. And let's face it, we need three starters! LOL. Also, Chris Polk is still available for those that think we need a RB. Also a steal this late. James Brown would also be nice.
There must be some reason Dennard is still there. Maybe there's something we don't know.

also, 6-1 and 195 pounds
I love taking a shot at a small college player like this, especially with those sick measurables. I read somewhere that there were several teams looking at him this round. I also wonder if he has any return ability.

There must be some reason Dennard is still there. Maybe there's something we don't know.
Must be. They just took Jonte Green. At least it was another corner.

Must be. They just took Jonte Green. At least it was another corner.
He seems to be another burner. 5-10 with 4.4 speed, good kick returner

I guess teams frown on punching police officers these days.

I guess teams frown on punching police officers these days.
I doubt it's as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. Even Gil Brandt said it would drop him from the the third round to the fourth round. ;)

Ok. I think this would be a great spot to draft Duke! I think he would be a much better fit for us than Spievey. Or James Brown. I think I would rather have Brown.

So overall, how are Detroit fans feeling abut the draft? Seems like they addressed some needs and added weapons on offense. My guess is they are planning on some shoot outs again next year...

So overall, how are Detroit fans feeling abut the draft? Seems like they addressed some needs and added weapons on offense. My guess is they are planning on some shoot outs again next year...
I give them a C. Love Reiff. Broyles wasn't a good pick IMHO. Also the guys they drafted in the 5th round and later may not have been the right choices but that's splitting hairs. Time will tell.

Travis Lewis...a 3rd Sooner. It is crazy how much has changed for Travis Lewis in such a short time. Here is a 2011 NFL Draft scouting analysis of Travis Lewis from http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2011tlewis.php

Lewis enters the year with a first-round grade on my board at No. 12 overall and could still move up. I love that he can play both the weakside and strongside in the 4-3 at a very high level, which makes him a very rare prospect.

Player Comparison: Lance Briggs. Briggs is the 4-3 linebacker everyone in the NFL wishes they had if they run that front. Lewis has a similar skill set and talent level.

Travis Lewis...a 3rd Sooner. It is crazy how much has changed for Travis Lewis in such a short time. Here is a 2011 NFL Draft scouting analysis of Travis Lewis from http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2011tlewis.php

Lewis enters the year with a first-round grade on my board at No. 12 overall and could still move up. I love that he can play both the weakside and strongside in the 4-3 at a very high level, which makes him a very rare prospect.

Player Comparison: Lance Briggs. Briggs is the 4-3 linebacker everyone in the NFL wishes they had if they run that front. Lewis has a similar skill set and talent level.
Anybody know what happened in the past year re Lewis? Why the huge drop?

Boise State's Kellen Moore set to sign with Detroit Lions

By Ian Rapoport

Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network

Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore is set to sign with the Detroit Lions, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Moore, who went undrafted in the 2012 NFL Draft, posted an impressive 49-3 career record as a Bronco, making him the winningest quarterback in college football history. He threw for 3,800 yards with 43 touchdowns in 2011.

He finished his collegiate career with a Boise State victory in the MAACO Las Vegas Bowl over Arizona State, 56-24.

Anybody know what happened in the past year re Lewis? Why the huge drop?
Injury and attitude.

I would give the Lions a B- right now. Reiff was a great pick. I didn't necessarily care for the Broyles pick, but I don't think it was as bad of a pick as some make it out to be. He might have been a first round pick if not for the torn ACL. I understand we need corners pretty bad, but the group of corners available at that pick were all close in value and we got one of them in the 3rd round in Bentley. I am not an Adams fan and taking another tackle there didn't make sense anyways. I am indifferent on Konz and I really don't think he is so great that they had to take him. I think Raiola is good enough and I also think centers are relatively easy to find. Fact is there were no players at that pick that I would call a "must draft", so going best player available is fine with me, even if the player is a WR. Also, Burleson is likely to be gone in 2013 because of his salary. Also, you can never have enough quality WRs when you have an offense like the Lions do. It gives them another weapon this year, protects them from injury, and gives them Burleson's eventual replacement. So I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. Had there been a corner worthy of a 2nd rounder, then I would think different. But there were none. In fact, the only corner drafted in the 2nd round was Janoris Jenkins. The picks after Bentley were ok, nothing special. I like the Greenwood pick quite a bit. I think the Lions also have major special teams issues, which along with depth is why they drafted some of the late picks.

Evan Silva was impressed with Mayhew's picks over at Rotoworld

Detroit Lions

23. Riley Reiff, tackle, Iowa.

54. Ryan Broyles, receiver, Oklahoma.

85. Dwight Bentley, cornerback, Louisiana-Lafayette.

125. Ronnell Lewis, defensive end, Oklahoma.

138. Tahir Whitehead, linebacker, Temple.

148. Chris Greenwood, cornerback, Albion.

196. Jonte Green, cornerback, New Mexico State.

223. Travis Lewis, linebacker, Oklahoma.

Overview: The Lions tried to acquire a top-ten cornerback on Thursday, but instead of panicking when those attempts fell through, GM Martin Mayhew stuck to his board and let left tackle of the future Reiff fall into his lap. Mayhew jumped up for high-ceiling corner Greenwood without surrendering much (pick 230), although he sent a 2013 fourth-round pick Minnesota's way in a trade for Whitehead. The players Mayhew came away with are largely impressive. Broyles will be a significant slot-receiver upgrade on Nate Burleson when his knee gets right, and Bentley can be a clamp-down nickel back. Lewis and Whitehead are impact pass rushers. Greenwood has drawn Antonio Cromartie comparisons from small-school NFL scouts. The Lions may still explore the veteran trade market for defensive back help, but this draft tangibly improved the roster.

Grade: B+

The first four picks I really liked. Broyles will be a big bust/boom type player. Risky, definitely. But if he can bounce back from that injury, he could be a beast. I'm not one who liked the signing of Burleson awhile back, so I could see Broyles taking over at #2 if he stays healthy.

The last four picks... just not feeling it. I felt there were better choices (like Boykin), and we opted to trade down, then up twice..!? Gave up a 4th next year? :unsure:

Boise State's Kellen Moore set to sign with Detroit Lions

By Ian Rapoport

Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network

Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore is set to sign with the Detroit Lions, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Moore, who went undrafted in the 2012 NFL Draft, posted an impressive 49-3 career record as a Bronco, making him the winningest quarterback in college football history. He threw for 3,800 yards with 43 touchdowns in 2011.

He finished his collegiate career with a Boise State victory in the MAACO Las Vegas Bowl over Arizona State, 56-24.
:thumbup: I think he'd be a nice addition. He can sit behind Stafford for years to come and learn. Might be the prototype for QB, but he's accurate and has the smarts to be one.

Aside from our 1st and the lower high risk high reward players in the back end not named whitehead I'm pretty disappointed.

The Bloom 100

19. Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma

Consider Broyles' ACL injury the opportunity to get this first-round NFL and rookie draft talent on the cheap. He is a smooth athlete with deceptive strength, speed and quicks, and an outstanding game in the air for a smaller receiver. He reminds me of Emmanuel Sanders, who would have been well-known by now in fantasy circles if he could stay healthy.

The Bloom 100

Consider Broyles' ACL injury the opportunity to get this first-round NFL and rookie draft talent on the cheap. He is a smooth athlete with deceptive strength, speed and quicks, and an outstanding game in the air for a smaller receiver. He reminds me of Emmanuel Sanders, who would have been well-known by now in fantasy circles if he could stay healthy.
It is about need. I like Broyles but WR is not a need for the Lions. When you have Calvin locked up for his career, Titus Young coming back as a second year WR, two good pass catching TEs..you can always find a third WR to plug in.

I thought the Lions had a pretty weak draft, but I love the Travis Lewis pick if he is 100% back from injury. Guy was a beast, and in the game I broke down a couple years ago (Lewis was a freshman) he really stood out:

From my Oklahoma Cincinatti Scouting Thread

"TRAVIS LEWIS, WEAKSIDE LINEBACKER (6'2 232) FRESHMAN (# 28)

Bio

Lewis was all over the field. What I loved to see from such a young player is him maintaining his gap. He was outweighted by about 100 pounds by some lineman, but he still took them on which bottled up holes. He showed tremendous pursuit and hard hitting ability. With another year in the weight room, Lewis is going to become a top prospect at LB."

The Bloom 100

It is about need. I like Broyles but WR is not a need for the Lions. When you have Calvin locked up for his career, Titus Young coming back as a second year WR, two good pass catching TEs..you can always find a third WR to plug in.
The Lions did address need, they need to be able to score at will to keep up with the Packers.

The Bloom 100

The Lions did address need, they need to be able to score at will to keep up with the Packers.
The Packers first 6 picks were all defense. Lions offense can hang with any team..they just can`t stop anyone.

The Bloom 100

The Packers first 6 picks were all defense. Lions offense can hang with any team..they just can`t stop anyone.
Their need was corner and it would have been a major reach to take any corner with their 2nd. None went for the rest of the round. Reaching for need is terrible no matter how bad the need is. Bentley is as good as any corner they could have taken in the 2nd.

'Anthony Borbely said:
'Da Guru said:
'djmich said:
'Da Guru said:
'Anthony Borbely said:
The Bloom 100

Their need was corner and it would have been a major reach to take any corner with their 2nd. None went for the rest of the round. Reaching for need is terrible no matter how bad the need is. Bentley is as good as any corner they could have taken in the 2nd.
That still doesn't explain the BPA either... i have stated this several times all ready and again this is totally my opinion but i highly highly doubt other teams had him ranked remotely as high as Detroit did (Broyles) They also have need on the OL where higher graded prospects from the scouting community were available. Theres no way to spin that pick in any positive light.

'Anthony Borbely said:
'Da Guru said:
'djmich said:
'Da Guru said:
'Anthony Borbely said:
The Bloom 100

That still doesn't explain the BPA either... i have stated this several times all ready and again this is totally my opinion but i highly highly doubt other teams had him ranked remotely as high as Detroit did (Broyles) They also have need on the OL where higher graded prospects from the scouting community were available. Theres no way to spin that pick in any positive light.
You mean there is no way to spin it positively to you. Most draft pundits loved the pick.

Theres no way to spin that pick in any positive light.
You keep saying this. It is not necessary to spin. You are nowhere near as informed nor anywhere near the expertise on these matters as those that made the decisions. It pretty much ends there.

'Da Guru said:
'Anthony Borbely said:
The Bloom 100

This is how I see it as well. I'm all for getting value. I'm all for going BPA (while still considering your needs because BPA with no regard to your teams needs is stupid. If you disagree then ask yourself if Belichick would have drafted Andrew Luck with the number one overall. No he wouldn't. ). I'm all for sticking to your board. However if Broyles was the highest rated player on the Lions board at that pick, above every other player that came after him, then I have to seriously question Mayhew's ability to build and sustain an NFL franchise. I have been watching the Lions for decades. We have not been able to consistently run the ball, stop the run and keep our QB's upright. We draft QB, RB, WR and TE more than OL, DL and LB. I love the Reiff pick. I wouldn't have stopped there because I recognize that the interior of our OL still hasn't been improved. I would have drafted Konz here. I can line up just as many draft pundits and analysts to say that he was the highest rater player at his position and that his draft grade was comparable to the basic value of the selection that we used on Broyles. I would have started him at G and given him reps as C to see how the transition to the pro game goes for him. I would also plan on drafting another inerior OL in either the first or second round in the 2013 draft. Raiola is undersized and 12 years in, however he plays well enough to keep starting but we do need a replacement. Sims and Peterman are 7 and 8 years in respectively and have shown me nothing more than being average, journeymen guards who commit too many stupid penalties and don't consistently get to the next level of the defense to sustain a successful running game. Not to mention the time they spend making sure we don't get bull rushed up the A gap. This sums up our interior OL play going back for quite some time. Ramirez, Mulitalo, Verba, Woody, Kosier, Loverne, Beverly, etc. . . . The list of players is endless. As is the list of draft busts the Lions can lay claim to. Perhaps you've heard of them? At the end of the day, I guess I don't see eye to eye with Mayhew, Millen and the Ford family about how to run a franchise.ETA: I'm not calling anyone out. I just used the quote generally. Guru and Borbely know their stuff.

Theres no way to spin that pick in any positive light.
You keep saying this. It is not necessary to spin. You are nowhere near as informed nor anywhere near the expertise on these matters as those that made the decisions. It pretty much ends there.
That is the dumbest argument I've heard. Since they know more they can't make a bad pick?
apparently because you know i heard the same thing in the bobby ross era and millen regime after their picks too... i guess us dumb people who spend the time to read scouting reports and look into players ourselves got no clue either.

'Da Guru said:
'Anthony Borbely said:
The Bloom 100

This is how I see it as well. I'm all for getting value. I'm all for going BPA (while still considering your needs because BPA with no regard to your teams needs is stupid. If you disagree then ask yourself if Belichick would have drafted Andrew Luck with the number one overall. No he wouldn't. ). I'm all for sticking to your board. However if Broyles was the highest rated player on the Lions board at that pick, above every other player that came after him, then I have to seriously question Mayhew's ability to build and sustain an NFL franchise. I have been watching the Lions for decades. We have not been able to consistently run the ball, stop the run and keep our QB's upright. We draft QB, RB, WR and TE more than OL, DL and LB. I love the Reiff pick. I wouldn't have stopped there because I recognize that the interior of our OL still hasn't been improved. I would have drafted Konz here. I can line up just as many draft pundits and analysts to say that he was the highest rater player at his position and that his draft grade was comparable to the basic value of the selection that we used on Broyles. I would have started him at G and given him reps as C to see how the transition to the pro game goes for him. I would also plan on drafting another inerior OL in either the first or second round in the 2013 draft. Raiola is undersized and 12 years in, however he plays well enough to keep starting but we do need a replacement. Sims and Peterman are 7 and 8 years in respectively and have shown me nothing more than being average, journeymen guards who commit too many stupid penalties and don't consistently get to the next level of the defense to sustain a successful running game. Not to mention the time they spend making sure we don't get bull rushed up the A gap. This sums up our interior OL play going back for quite some time. Ramirez, Mulitalo, Verba, Woody, Kosier, Loverne, Beverly, etc. . . . The list of players is endless. As is the list of draft busts the Lions can lay claim to. Perhaps you've heard of them? At the end of the day, I guess I don't see eye to eye with Mayhew, Millen and the Ford family about how to run a franchise.ETA: I'm not calling anyone out. I just used the quote generally. Guru and Borbely know their stuff.
VERY VERY well said... :thumbup: :goodposting:

'Da Guru said:
'Anthony Borbely said:
The Bloom 100

It is entirely possible that the Lions did not have Konz highly rated.

Users who are viewing this thread