What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (38 Viewers)

'Da Guru said:
'Anthony Borbely said:
The Bloom 100

19. Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma

Consider Broyles' ACL injury the opportunity to get this first-round NFL and rookie draft talent on the cheap. He is a smooth athlete with deceptive strength, speed and quicks, and an outstanding game in the air for a smaller receiver. He reminds me of Emmanuel Sanders, who would have been well-known by now in fantasy circles if he could stay healthy.
It is about need. I like Broyles but WR is not a need for the Lions. When you have Calvin locked up for his career, Titus Young coming back as a second year WR, two good pass catching TEs..you can always find a third WR to plug in.
This is how I see it as well. I'm all for getting value. I'm all for going BPA (while still considering your needs because BPA with no regard to your teams needs is stupid. If you disagree then ask yourself if Belichick would have drafted Andrew Luck with the number one overall. No he wouldn't. ). I'm all for sticking to your board. However if Broyles was the highest rated player on the Lions board at that pick, above every other player that came after him, then I have to seriously question Mayhew's ability to build and sustain an NFL franchise. I have been watching the Lions for decades. We have not been able to consistently run the ball, stop the run and keep our QB's upright. We draft QB, RB, WR and TE more than OL, DL and LB. I love the Reiff pick. I wouldn't have stopped there because I recognize that the interior of our OL still hasn't been improved. I would have drafted Konz here. I can line up just as many draft pundits and analysts to say that he was the highest rater player at his position and that his draft grade was comparable to the basic value of the selection that we used on Broyles. I would have started him at G and given him reps as C to see how the transition to the pro game goes for him. I would also plan on drafting another inerior OL in either the first or second round in the 2013 draft. Raiola is undersized and 12 years in, however he plays well enough to keep starting but we do need a replacement. Sims and Peterman are 7 and 8 years in respectively and have shown me nothing more than being average, journeymen guards who commit too many stupid penalties and don't consistently get to the next level of the defense to sustain a successful running game. Not to mention the time they spend making sure we don't get bull rushed up the A gap. This sums up our interior OL play going back for quite some time. Ramirez, Mulitalo, Verba, Woody, Kosier, Loverne, Beverly, etc. . . . The list of players is endless. As is the list of draft busts the Lions can lay claim to. Perhaps you've heard of them? At the end of the day, I guess I don't see eye to eye with Mayhew, Millen and the Ford family about how to run a franchise.ETA: I'm not calling anyone out. I just used the quote generally. Guru and Borbely know their stuff.
It is entirely possible that the Lions did not have Konz highly rated.
its possible, others did not as he went right after we took Broyles but the scouting community from reports i read had him graded much higher then Broyles.... so there is my only beef, i could say the same with Adams as well but idoly Konz was the piece i thought we needed there, who matched up as the BPA... but again just not to the Lions :)

Falcons | Peter Konz to compete for OG job Mon Apr 30, 06:07 PM

Atlanta Falcons C Peter Konz will compete for the starting right guard during training camp but will also be groomed to start at center once C Todd McClure is no longer with team.

LOL! This is why I wanted the Lions to bring in McKay when he left Tampa! I love the way he and Dimitrov run this team. My post went up at 3pm. This was on the blogger at 6pm.

Falcons | Peter Konz to compete for OG job Mon Apr 30, 06:07 PMAtlanta Falcons C Peter Konz will compete for the starting right guard during training camp but will also be groomed to start at center once C Todd McClure is no longer with team.LOL! This is why I wanted the Lions to bring in McKay when he left Tampa! I love the way he and Dimitrov run this team. My post went up at 3pm. This was on the blogger at 6pm.
I saw that and would agree with you 100%. I would feel a lot better with the draft had they got Konz in the 2nd. Heck they could have nabbed Marvin Jones in the 5th or 6th if they were searching for WR. I hope I am proved wrong.

Jim Schwartz was on the radio yesterday and got a little agitated when questioned about the Broyles pick.

I mean no disrespect to Mayhew but I dont have a lot of faith in his drafting, it's not a skill to pull a Stafford/Suh from the draft when you have that high a pick, and really side from Levy, Willie Young is about as close a nice low round coup he has pulled from his drafts.
Mayhew has only had 3 drafts. Low round picks can't necessarily contribute in their 1st year, so there's 2 yrs of returns to review and you're selling him short. Sammie Lee Hill in the 4th has been very valuable. Dan Gronkowski in the 7th was traded for Alphonso Smith. Steal. Chris Houston cost a 6th and a conditional 7th. Those should factor into his draft evaluation. Lots of people thought he made mistakes last year going Titus and Leshoure in the 2nd and avoiding LB and DB. The 1 year contracts to Wright and Tulloch filled the gaps. He knew what direction he wanted to head there.I think the Pettigrew and Delmas picks are good indicators of his drafting ability too. I wanted Oher at the time but am glad that Pettigrew is here now.They must've thought Konz would struggle in pass pro, because it seemed like it was the time to ring him up.

I wanted Oher at the time but am glad that Pettigrew is here now.
:goodposting: I agree with your post but had to comment on this... Theres no way in hell i value Pettigrew over Oher... that one still stings in my mind and i have a feeling Konz will too.

'cosmonaut said:
I mean no disrespect to Mayhew but I dont have a lot of faith in his drafting, it's not a skill to pull a Stafford/Suh from the draft when you have that high a pick, and really side from Levy, Willie Young is about as close a nice low round coup he has pulled from his drafts.
Mayhew has only had 3 drafts. Low round picks can't necessarily contribute in their 1st year, so there's 2 yrs of returns to review and you're selling him short. Sammie Lee Hill in the 4th has been very valuable. Dan Gronkowski in the 7th was traded for Alphonso Smith. Steal. Chris Houston cost a 6th and a conditional 7th. Those should factor into his draft evaluation. Lots of people thought he made mistakes last year going Titus and Leshoure in the 2nd and avoiding LB and DB. The 1 year contracts to Wright and Tulloch filled the gaps. He knew what direction he wanted to head there.I think the Pettigrew and Delmas picks are good indicators of his drafting ability too. I wanted Oher at the time but am glad that Pettigrew is here now.They must've thought Konz would struggle in pass pro, because it seemed like it was the time to ring him up.
A lot of people wanted Curry over Stafford as well. In Mayhew's first draft, they added Stafford, Pettigrew, Delmas, Levy, and Sammie Lee Hill. Despite some ups and downs with injuries, they got an elite QB, Top 10 TE, a 2 time Pro Bowl alternate safety and a pretty good DT for the rotation. In 2010, they added Suh, Best, Spievey, Jason Fox, and Willie Young. Spievey and Fox don't seem to be anything more back-ups, they have developed pretty good so far. Willie Young has turned into a good pash rusher. When healthy, Best is an electrifying difference maker. Also, they got one of the best DTs in the league. In 2011, the report card is still out due to injuries. However, when on the field Fairley was disruptive. Reports from camp on Leshoure were really good. There was a ton of hate for the Titus pick, but he appears to be a difference maker.

'cosmonaut said:
A lot of people wanted Curry over Stafford as well. In Mayhew's first draft, they added Stafford, Pettigrew, Delmas, Levy, and Sammie Lee Hill. Despite some ups and downs with injuries, they got an elite QB, Top 10 TE, a 2 time Pro Bowl alternate safety and a pretty good DT for the rotation. In 2010, they added Suh, Best, Spievey, Jason Fox, and Willie Young. Spievey and Fox don't seem to be anything more back-ups, they have developed pretty good so far. Willie Young has turned into a good pash rusher. When healthy, Best is an electrifying difference maker. Also, they got one of the best DTs in the league. In 2011, the report card is still out due to injuries. However, when on the field Fairley was disruptive. Reports from camp on Leshoure were really good. There was a ton of hate for the Titus pick, but he appears to be a difference maker.
Detroit has added talent to the roster, but they fail to address issues.Detroit still has perhaps one of the worst back 7 defenses in all of football. They could've addressed that in 2010 or 2011...but instead Detroit likes to add shiny toys for Stafford. It really reminds me of the Colts when they would continually give Peyton Manning weapons. They better hope it pans out because if not, they are in for a world of hurt. Remember Matt Flynn picking them apart?

'cosmonaut said:
Mayhew has only had 3 drafts. Low round picks can't necessarily contribute in their 1st year, so there's 2 yrs of returns to review and you're selling him short. Sammie Lee Hill in the 4th has been very valuable. Dan Gronkowski in the 7th was traded for Alphonso Smith. Steal. Chris Houston cost a 6th and a conditional 7th. Those should factor into his draft evaluation. Lots of people thought he made mistakes last year going Titus and Leshoure in the 2nd and avoiding LB and DB. The 1 year contracts to Wright and Tulloch filled the gaps. He knew what direction he wanted to head there.

I think the Pettigrew and Delmas picks are good indicators of his drafting ability too. I wanted Oher at the time but am glad that Pettigrew is here now.

They must've thought Konz would struggle in pass pro, because it seemed like it was the time to ring him up.
Detroit has added talent to the roster, but they fail to address issues.Detroit still has perhaps one of the worst back 7 defenses in all of football. They could've addressed that in 2010 or 2011...but instead Detroit likes to add shiny toys for Stafford. It really reminds me of the Colts when they would continually give Peyton Manning weapons. They better hope it pans out because if not, they are in for a world of hurt. Remember Matt Flynn picking them apart?
And they won about 11 games a year for 13 consecutive yearss, made 11 playoff appearances, and won a Super Bowl. If that is what this reminds you of, then you should be excited.

'cosmonaut said:
Mayhew has only had 3 drafts. Low round picks can't necessarily contribute in their 1st year, so there's 2 yrs of returns to review and you're selling him short. Sammie Lee Hill in the 4th has been very valuable. Dan Gronkowski in the 7th was traded for Alphonso Smith. Steal. Chris Houston cost a 6th and a conditional 7th. Those should factor into his draft evaluation. Lots of people thought he made mistakes last year going Titus and Leshoure in the 2nd and avoiding LB and DB. The 1 year contracts to Wright and Tulloch filled the gaps. He knew what direction he wanted to head there.

I think the Pettigrew and Delmas picks are good indicators of his drafting ability too. I wanted Oher at the time but am glad that Pettigrew is here now.

They must've thought Konz would struggle in pass pro, because it seemed like it was the time to ring him up.
And they won about 11 games a year for 13 consecutive yearss, made 11 playoff appearances, and won a Super Bowl. If that is what this reminds you of, then you should be excited.
Only works with Peyton Manning...what happened post manning :unsure:

'cosmonaut said:

Only works with Peyton Manning...what happened post manning :unsure:
Those skilled toys were all gone, injured or declining due to age. Besides, I don't think the Lions should draft now for the 2022 team after Stafford retires.

Feelings on Grant as a Lion?

I'm not sure he's got much left in the tank, but as insurance this is probably a good move. Less of a head case than Benson as well.

Feelings on Grant as a Lion?I'm not sure he's got much left in the tank, but as insurance this is probably a good move. Less of a head case than Benson as well.
It's like drafting all those CBs late, can't hurt to add depth at a weak spot, never know if one might pan out to be decent here.

Running back Ryan Grant, who spent the past five years in Green Bay and has two 1,200-yard seasons, is scheduled to visit the Lions on Monday, his agent Alan Herman wrote in a text message to the Detroit Free Press. The sides have had contract talks and are within striking distance of a deal.

The Lions have been relatively quiet in free agency this year, but are interested in Grant as a veteran backup for Jahvid Best and Mikel Leshoure, who both finished last season on injured reserve. Best suffered two concussions last year and hasn't been cleared for contact, though general manager Martin Mayhew said this week he expects that to happen next month. Leshoure missed his rookie season with a torn Achilles tendon.

Ads by GoogleThe Lions expect both players to be part of the rotation and re-signed Kevin Smith, but Grant is a versatile fallback option. He visited the Patriots before the draft and showed interest in re-signing with the Packers, but hasn't been in contact with Green Bay recently, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

An undrafted free agent out of Notre Dame, Grant's production tailed off the past two seasons. He missed most of 2010 with a severe ankle injury and rushed for 559 yards in 15 games last year, splitting carries with James Starks.

___

The Bloom 100

19. Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma

Consider Broyles' ACL injury the opportunity to get this first-round NFL and rookie draft talent on the cheap. He is a smooth athlete with deceptive strength, speed and quicks, and an outstanding game in the air for a smaller receiver. He reminds me of Emmanuel Sanders, who would have been well-known by now in fantasy circles if he could stay healthy.
It is about need. I like Broyles but WR is not a need for the Lions. When you have Calvin locked up for his career, Titus Young coming back as a second year WR, two good pass catching TEs..you can always find a third WR to plug in.
The Lions did address need, they need to be able to score at will to keep up with the Packers.
The Packers first 6 picks were all defense. Lions offense can hang with any team..they just can`t stop anyone.
Their need was corner and it would have been a major reach to take any corner with their 2nd. None went for the rest of the round. Reaching for need is terrible no matter how bad the need is. Bentley is as good as any corner they could have taken in the 2nd.
That still doesn't explain the BPA either... i have stated this several times all ready and again this is totally my opinion but i highly highly doubt other teams had him ranked remotely as high as Detroit did (Broyles) They also have need on the OL where higher graded prospects from the scouting community were available. Theres no way to spin that pick in any positive light.
I think if the Lions get good production out of this kid nobody will need to spin it at all.

Report: Titus Young barred from Lions' OTAs after fight

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

Lions wide receiver Titus Young was absent from Monday's Organized Team Activities. That's not too notable on its own, but the reason for Young's absence is eye opening.

Young missed the session because of a fight with safety Louis Delmas last week, according to Anwar Richardson of MLive.com. Delmas was at the session.

The team reportedly has told Young that he's not welcome at the team facility for the time being. It's unclear when he will be allowed back in the building.

Lions coach Jim Schwartz has talked publicly and privately this offseason about improving the discipline on this young team. A spate of offseason arrests and this fight won't help Schwartz change Detroit's image as a team on the edge.

'Faust said:

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

Lions wide receiver Titus Young was absent from Monday's Organized Team Activities. That's not too notable on its own, but the reason for Young's absence is eye opening.

Young missed the session because of a fight with safety Louis Delmas last week, according to Anwar Richardson of MLive.com. Delmas was at the session.

The team reportedly has told Young that he's not welcome at the team facility for the time being. It's unclear when he will be allowed back in the building.

Lions coach Jim Schwartz has talked publicly and privately this offseason about improving the discipline on this young team. A spate of offseason arrests and this fight won't help Schwartz change Detroit's image as a team on the edge.
Maybe drafting another WR put the diva over the edge?

'Faust said:

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

I heard Schwartz on the radio today..I used to really like Scwhartz but now he is becoming a little toolish in his answering of any questions about what is going on with the Lions.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Faust said:

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

I heard Schwartz on the radio today..I used to really like Scwhartz but now he is becoming a little toolish in his answering of any questions about what is going on with the Lions.
He and Mayhew are both very much believers in the Belichick mode when it comes to the media. They feel information is a weapon and the more they can keep to themselves, the bigger the advantage. Like the Pats, the Lions have been known to be every vague in their descriptions and reports of injured players. The Lions players don't do many interviews, even with the locals. This is a tight ship. I am ok with that.

'Faust said:

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

He and Mayhew are both very much believers in the Belichick mode when it comes to the media. They feel information is a weapon and the more they can keep to themselves, the bigger the advantage. Like the Pats, the Lions have been known to be every vague in their descriptions and reports of injured players. The Lions players don't do many interviews, even with the locals. This is a tight ship. I am ok with that.
Tight ship? It's anything but

Schwartz likes what he's seen from team's rookies

All things considered -- and all qualifiers about not drawing conclusions from a three-day sample duly noted -- coach Jim Schwartz was pleased with what he saw from the Lions' rookie minicamp last weekend.

"It's way too early to tell, but everybody showed why we drafted them," he said. "I think we are excited about every one of them. I don't want to sound like I am not excited about it because they did what we expected them to do. We were already excited about them. Maybe if you aren't expecting much you get a little excited.

"But we were expecting a lot."

Of the eight drafted players, first-round pick offensive tackle Riley Reiff, fifth-round cornerback Chris Greenwood and seventh-round linebacker Travis Lewis seemed to stand out.

Reiff, the only draft pick yet unsigned, appeared to be equally comfortable playing left and right tackle. He also took charge of his position group during the drill work. It took him a while to adjust to locking in on the defensive ends charging from the wide angles the Lions use, but he was mostly stout at the point of attack.

Greenwood's size and athleticism were as advertised. He may have come from a Division III school (Albion) but he did not look in awe or out of place.

Of the group though, Lewis might have been the biggest revelation. Almost completely overlooked on draft day (picked 223rd) despite leading Oklahoma in tackles for four straight years, Lewis looks like he will be in the fight for the open fourth linebacker spot this season.

"I just take it day by day and try to get better," he said. "If you are handling your business then everything else will handle itself. It's not my thought process to think about how many 'backers are on this team and what spots are open and available to me. I just go out and do what they tell me to do and let them look at my skill-set and see where I best fit the team."

His ability to lead his group, to quickly learn the system and schemes at both outside and middle linebacker and to execute during seven-on-seven and full team drills was impressive.

"He's the one in this group that played both (outside and inside)," Schwartz said. "He was a four-year starter at Oklahoma and he's a smart guy with a lot of experience so it was easier for him to do that. You know how much we value multi-dimensional linebackers. They have to be able to do those kinds of things so it was important for him to show he could do those things."

Lewis said he's anxious to begin working with the veterans this week, though he knows he may have to tone it down more than he did this weekend.

"I am excited to see how fast it is and how everything moves," he said. "I've never had to compete for a job, never had competition. I've always been the top dog. So I am looking forward to being in an underdog role and going out there having to find my way, getting lost, getting yelled at - it's going to be fun to be in that position. I am going to embrace it."

He was by far the loudest player on the defensive side of the ball last weekend, but he knows he will be more of a listener when Stephen Tulloch, Justin Durant and DeAndre Levy show up this week.

"I am an outspoken guy," Lewis said. "I get excited about what I do and I try to get others excited. I am sure when the veterans show up my mouth will quiet up a little bit because that's not my role. I have to earn my place on this team."

Schwartz likes what he's seen from team's rookies

All things considered -- and all qualifiers about not drawing conclusions from a three-day sample duly noted -- coach Jim Schwartz was pleased with what he saw from the Lions' rookie minicamp last weekend.

"It's way too early to tell, but everybody showed why we drafted them," he said. "I think we are excited about every one of them. I don't want to sound like I am not excited about it because they did what we expected them to do. We were already excited about them. Maybe if you aren't expecting much you get a little excited.

"But we were expecting a lot."

Of the eight drafted players, first-round pick offensive tackle Riley Reiff, fifth-round cornerback Chris Greenwood and seventh-round linebacker Travis Lewis seemed to stand out.

Reiff, the only draft pick yet unsigned, appeared to be equally comfortable playing left and right tackle. He also took charge of his position group during the drill work. It took him a while to adjust to locking in on the defensive ends charging from the wide angles the Lions use, but he was mostly stout at the point of attack.

Greenwood's size and athleticism were as advertised. He may have come from a Division III school (Albion) but he did not look in awe or out of place.

Of the group though, Lewis might have been the biggest revelation. Almost completely overlooked on draft day (picked 223rd) despite leading Oklahoma in tackles for four straight years, Lewis looks like he will be in the fight for the open fourth linebacker spot this season.

"I just take it day by day and try to get better," he said. "If you are handling your business then everything else will handle itself. It's not my thought process to think about how many 'backers are on this team and what spots are open and available to me. I just go out and do what they tell me to do and let them look at my skill-set and see where I best fit the team."

His ability to lead his group, to quickly learn the system and schemes at both outside and middle linebacker and to execute during seven-on-seven and full team drills was impressive.

"He's the one in this group that played both (outside and inside)," Schwartz said. "He was a four-year starter at Oklahoma and he's a smart guy with a lot of experience so it was easier for him to do that. You know how much we value multi-dimensional linebackers. They have to be able to do those kinds of things so it was important for him to show he could do those things."

Lewis said he's anxious to begin working with the veterans this week, though he knows he may have to tone it down more than he did this weekend.

"I am excited to see how fast it is and how everything moves," he said. "I've never had to compete for a job, never had competition. I've always been the top dog. So I am looking forward to being in an underdog role and going out there having to find my way, getting lost, getting yelled at - it's going to be fun to be in that position. I am going to embrace it."

He was by far the loudest player on the defensive side of the ball last weekend, but he knows he will be more of a listener when Stephen Tulloch, Justin Durant and DeAndre Levy show up this week.

"I am an outspoken guy," Lewis said. "I get excited about what I do and I try to get others excited. I am sure when the veterans show up my mouth will quiet up a little bit because that's not my role. I have to earn my place on this team."
:popcorn:

Detroit Lions not satisfied with breakthrough 2011 campaign

By Ian Rapoport

Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The final seconds had ticked away in the Detroit Lions' 38-10 beatdown of the San Diego Chargers late last year, and those standing on the sidelines flooded the field.

Detroit had finally reached the playoffs for the first time since 1999, an eternity in the parity-driven NFL for the parody-riddled franchise. Coach Jim Schwartz received not one but two Gatorade baths in celebration. When the final liquid splashed, team president Tom Lewand caught Schwartz's eye to congratulate him on a wild-card berth that served as a ray of light after a decade of darkness that featured only Matt Millen at the end of the tunnel.

Yet happiness wasn't the emotion that Lewand saw from his coach.

"The look on his face was almost anger," Lewand told NFL.com following the team's first session of organized team activities on Monday. "The first words out of his mouth were, 'We have to get past the point where we're dumping Gatorade on my head because we made the wild-card.' "

It was the first 10-win season since 1995. After five seasons with three or fewer wins since 2001 -- one of them 0-16 -- the NFL's perennial laughingstock suddenly wasn't so funny. So why wasn't Schwartz, in just his third season as a head coach at any level, happy? Why did Lewand echo his reaction? The answer explains why the Lions have methodically marched back into relevance.

"Being satisfied about making progress is the exact wrong place to be," Lewand said. "Being desirous of making more progress to ultimately get to where we want to go is where we are as an organization. We got to get better. Being 10-6 and second in the NFC North isn't good enough. That's not good enough."

Thanks to a strong nucleus of talent -- highlighted by a trio of former top-two picks in quarterback Matthew Stafford, receiver Calvin Johnson and defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh -- the Lions ticked off plenty of firsts last season. The goal this year is to make sure none of those are worthy of headlines. The firsts must turn into the expectation.

"We had to get past the point where selling out a game, or not having it blacked out, was news," Lewand said. "We had to get past the point where a Monday Night Football game was a national holiday in the city of Detroit. It's a great event, but it can't be what it was for us this year."

Winning can handle all of that. To be sure, life has gotten easier. It's a better feel in the locker room, it's more fun to come to work, and long-suffering Lions employees feel like they are a part of something special. Perhaps most important is that players understand what they are working toward.

"You put wins together, the team's in the postseason, guys get a taste of what it's like," Stafford said. "And it drives you that much harder to get back there."

When Schwartz arrived in 2009, a surprise pick by an equally surprising tandem of Lewand and Lions GM Martin Mayhew, he focused on changing the culture. He altered schedules and the way things were done, losing many facets of a losing program. He shrugged off the initial public reaction to his moves, just as Lewand did. Lewand laughed on Monday thinking of the early days when he attended the unveiling of the team's new logo. That was when fans chanted "Curry! Curry!" in hopes of the team drafting then-celebrated Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry instead of Stafford. Just imagine. But Lewand was unwavering when it came to his faith in his franchise's choices, just as he was with choosing Schwartz.

"We had conviction inside here with how we did our work, how our personnel department did our work, how our coaching staff did its evaluation, and made that decision that Matthew was the right guy for us," Lewand said. "Throughout the course of making these decisions, it's all designed to do what we believe is right. It's not necessarily what's popular and the easiest way to do it."

Lewand and Mayhew offered no promises when they were hired, telling fans instead to judge the team's brass by its actions. When Lewand talks about the culture change, it wasn't about making people feel good about coming to work -- it was about winning. The hope was that culture would build around it, and it has.

"If you deal with the substance," Lewand said, "everything else flows from that."

The process hasn't been without some speed bumps in an otherwise feel-good story. The most publicized was Suh's suspension for a Thanksgiving stomping incident, capping what Suh called "an indifferent year."

"This year," Suh said, "I have an opportunity to have an outstanding year, but it's a team game and I want to win."

There was also a brouhaha over the postgame handshake between Schwartz and San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh. Meanwhile, three 2011 draft picks -- Nick Fairley, Mikel LeShoure and Johnny Culbreath -- have been involved in marijuana-related incidents, and receiver Titus Young reportedly was barred from OTAs after a fight with safety Louis Delmas.

LeShoure put the focus on making better decisions. In another corner of the locker room, Johnson said part of the reason for the success has been filling the locker room with solid "character guys."

"Guys that are willing to stick their neck out for the team," Johnson said.

And perhaps that's the answer. Lewand and Mayhem filled the roster with enough high-character players so the strong foundation can allow a team to withstand some issues.

The Lions' goal now is back-to-back winning seasons for the first time since stringing three together from 1993-95, with a division title rather than a wild-card game. And if it happens, Schwartz would prefer the Gatorade bath come after a playoff win, rather than simply earning the right to play in the game.

All steps along the way for this rising franchise.

"Everybody has that feeling that we need to continue to win," Suh said. "(We need to) be a team that's not going to be content, that's going to be up in that echelon of teams, that's not always not surprised being in the playoffs. We still have things to work on."

Lions' Jim Schwartz stays mum on Titus Young's status

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

Detroit Lions receiver Titus Young has not returned to the team's facility since punching teammate Louis Delmas in the face. Young is not under any official suspension, but the team is staying tight-lipped about his status.

Lions coach Jim Schwartz would only say Wednesday that Young's status is the same as it was Monday.

"I think I addressed that a couple of days ago," Schwartz said at the Detroit Lions Charity Bocce Ball Tournament, via MLive.com. "That's the most I'm going to address it. When there is a change, I will address it again."

Multiple outlets have reported that Young is being disciplined by the team and has not been allowed to participate in this week's organized team activities. Schwartz's words seem to support that notion. DetroitLions.com reported that Young was not told to stay away from the facility, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Schwartz indicated there are many ways a player can be disciplined.

"There's all kinds of different things," Schwartz said. "There's things that happen. There's some things that should be avoided. There's other things that can't be avoided. Every single situation is a little bit different.

"One thing you don't want to have, if you're on the field, fighting is a 15-yard penalty and cause for ejection. Those things are not good for us."

Neither are offseason fights. That's why Young is taking a timeout during a key team-building part of the year.

(FFToday) Nick Fairley was arrested early Sunday morning for driving under the influence and attempting to elude police. According to troopers Fairley initially refused to stop for the emergency lights and sirens. When he finally pulled over, troopers said Fairley seemed impaired. The Detroit Lions defensive tackle is facing several charges including DUI, attempting to elude police, and reckless driving. Fairley is free on a $1700 dollar bond.

Analysis: Police subsequently added tickets for reckless driving, no proof of insurance and having an open container. It is Fairley's second arrest in less than two months as he was also arrested on April 3. Fairley was placed in the NFL's substance abuse program earlier this month and is very likely facing a multi-game suspension. The Lions' 2011 draft class has already produced five arrests and one team-imposed suspension (Titus Young).

Titus Young's 'apathetic' attitude doesn't work with Lions

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

We still don't know when the Detroit Lions will allow receiver Titus Young back at the team's facility after he threw a "sucker punch" at teammate Louis Delmas.

It is becoming more clear, however, why Young was told to stay away. (Despite protests to the contrary.)

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press writes that Young's attitude was wearing thin even before the fracas with Delmas.

"By all accounts, he was apathetic when coaches weren’t involved in workouts early this offseason, something that didn't sit well with Lions veterans," Birkett writes. "It's unclear if he'll be back this spring and how his petulance will be received once he returns, but he has the potential to be a dangerous No. 2 receiver."

Unlike teammates Mikel Leshoure and Nick Fairley, Young hasn't had multiple run-ins with the law. Young also showed as a rookie that he's going to be a big contributor in the pros. He just needs to get his head on straight.

It sounds like the Lions veterans are a big reason why Young is not back with the team yet. His time away from the Lions may be coach Jim Schwartz's way of adjusting Young's "apathetic" attitude before he upsets any more teammates.

Titus Young's 'apathetic' attitude doesn't work with Lions

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

We still don't know when the Detroit Lions will allow receiver Titus Young back at the team's facility after he threw a "sucker punch" at teammate Louis Delmas.

It is becoming more clear, however, why Young was told to stay away. (Despite protests to the contrary.)

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press writes that Young's attitude was wearing thin even before the fracas with Delmas.

"By all accounts, he was apathetic when coaches weren’t involved in workouts early this offseason, something that didn't sit well with Lions veterans," Birkett writes. "It's unclear if he'll be back this spring and how his petulance will be received once he returns, but he has the potential to be a dangerous No. 2 receiver."

Unlike teammates Mikel Leshoure and Nick Fairley, Young hasn't had multiple run-ins with the law. Young also showed as a rookie that he's going to be a big contributor in the pros. He just needs to get his head on straight.

It sounds like the Lions veterans are a big reason why Young is not back with the team yet. His time away from the Lions may be coach Jim Schwartz's way of adjusting Young's "apathetic" attitude before he upsets any more teammates.
Looks like Mayhew has been picking some bad eggs. Also Mayhew refused to be interviewed on TV or the radio about his players.

Detroit Lions' Titus Young 'truly sorry' for behavior

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

It sounds like Titus Young's absence from the Detroit Lions is over. Young released a statement Tuesday following his week-long absence from organized team activities after he reportedly "sucker punched" teammate Louis Delmas.

"My recent actions have not always been up to the standards the Lions expect or the standards that I expect from myself. I am truly sorry for those times when I didn't meet those standards," Young said. "My absence from the practice facility and the OTAs last week was necessary for both myself and the team.

"The time away from the team afforded me the opportunity to reflect and come to the realization that by putting those incidents behind me I will be able to focus on becoming the best teammate and player that I can be."

Young's wording indicates he's back in the mix this week. DetroitLions.com made sure everyone knew Young wasn't officially "suspended" last week, but clearly the team believed he needed a timeout.

There also was a report that indicated Young's "apathetic" attitude frustrated teammates even before his famous punch. With a message sent, it looks like the team and Young are ready to move on.

UPDATE: Tim Twentyman of DetroitLions.com reported that Young was back at Lions OTAs on Tuesday.

Tim Twentyman

@ttwentyman

Lions WR Titus Young is back participating in OTAs

UPDATE II: Young and recently arrested defensive tackle Nick Fairley were unavailable to reporters after practice Tuesday. The two were escorted past the media by team security.

Jim Schwartz: Nick Fairley,Titus Young hurting Lions

By Marc Sessler

Writer

Titus Young and Nick Fairley were whisked past reporters as the Lions finished practice Tuesday. The duo artfully dodged questioning, but coach Jim Schwartz took time to talk about two of his young players who have generated headlines for all the wrong reasons this offseason.

"I think what we have here is a case of a few guys tainting the reputations of a lot of others," Schwartz told the Detroit Free Press. "... A couple guys haven't learned and that is a concern but they are still young and there's still a lot in front of them and we are hopeful that they can ... put this behind them."

Fairley was arrested this weekend for the second time this offseason. Police nabbed the defensive tackle for driving while intoxicated and eluding authorities.

Young returned to practice Tuesday after his week-long absence from OTAs. He apologized to teammates for reportedly punching defensive back Louis Delmas two weeks ago. Schwartz hopes the second-year receiver has turned the corner.

"(Young) had an outstanding day of practice today," Schwartz told the newspaper. "That doesn't erase the incidents that have occurred and it doesn't change the process that we're going to have for him to stay in good standing, not just with the team but with his teammates."

Receiver Nate Burleson has seen the Lions' reputation come under fire this offseason. He spoke honestly about the toll it's taken on a team hoping for more than just a playoff appearance this season.

"We don't want to be one of those quote unquote teams labeled as bad boys," he told the team's official website. "The Bad Boys are something different in Detroit."

What's the current over/under for games suspended for Fairley, Young, and LeShoure (either by the team or the NFL)? I'll start the conversation with 3, 1 and 2.

Jahvid Best not concerned about concussion history

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

Detroit Lions running back Jahvid Best had the bulk of his 2011 season wiped out by a concussion, but he says he's now symptom-free and moving forward with his career.

"I'm pretty sure if there was any real damage going on, I would have physical problems and mental problems," Best said Monday, according to MLive.com. "I have no problems. I'm not worried."

Best might not be worried (on the surface, anyway), but he's now up to three documented concussions during his career. It's possible he's suffered more. As Asher Allen illustrated last week, we're dealing with tricky business here.

Of course, it's all a matter of perspective for Best, who suffered one of the nastiest-looking head injuries in recent memory during his college days at Cal.

"That one I was actually unconscious, so that was totally different," he said. "That's why I'm not worried about it. If I can come back from that one, this one should be a piece of cake."

Let's hope Best is right.

Lions reportedly top NFL in number of arrests

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

This post will have both good news and bad news for the Detroit Lions football club.

First, the good: No player has been arrested in the past 12 days.

The bad? The Lions have accounted for five of the 21 player arrests and citations this year, good for 24 percent of the overall total.

(Waiting for Jim Schwartz to get back from the long walk he just took with his dog after reading that ...)

OK.

Defensive tackle Nick Fairley and running back Mikel Leshoure have been taken into police custody twice each. Offensive lineman Johnny Culbreath has also been arrested and processed.

The Detroit Free Press cited Thursday U-T San Diego's comprehensive study of NFL player arrests and citations since 2000. The Free Press included a poll asking Lions fans their feeling on the team's "bad-boy behavior" this offseason.

As of this posting, "Who cares as long as they win?" was edging "It's embarrassing. I can't root for those guys."

"I prefer to have my football players be a little dangerous!" was lagging in third place. I think we can all agree that's a good thing for the city of Detroit.

Titus Young making 'big plays' for Detroit Lions this offseason

By Anwar S. Richardson

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions receiver Titus Young has done what few players can during an offseason workout.

Find a way to stand out.

It is hard for players to look impressive when hitting is not involved. Players are not in pads, practices are slowed down, and the emphasis is on learning. Essentially, players are thrown batting practice fastballs that are easy to hit.

However, Young knock it out the park consistently during Detroit's mandatory minicamp, which concludes today.

"He's had a good run since he's been back with the team," Lions coach Jim Schwartz. "He's made big plays in just about every practice. He's worked hard, he's been a good teammate, and he's probably looked the best that I've ever seen him look in this couple of weeks span.

"We just need to keep him on that track, because he's been outstanding the last couple weeks. You weren't seeing ghosts out there. You were seeing the same things that we've been seeing."

Young's improvement during voluntary workouts, coupled with this week's mandatory minicamp, has been noticeable.

During seven-on-seven drills during Wednesday's practice, Young lined up outside to Matthew Stafford's right and was covered by starting cornerback Chris Houston. After the snap, Young ran a fly route and caught a 45-yard bomb over the shoulder despite being blanketed by Houston.

Young has also enjoyed success against most of Detroit's secondary, although hitting is not allowed.

"First and foremost, I believe it's because of God," Young said. "God is continuing to provide. There's nothing different. God has always been there and been my provider on the football field, but I feel like he's just working in me even more on the football field, and he's bought things in my life to put things into perspective about the gift he's given me."

Young could become a multidimensional gift for Schwartz this season.

While Young has been impressive at receiver, he also is auditioning to become Detroit's kick returner. It is unknown if Detroit will utilize Young's speed and elusiveness on special teams, but Schwartz is considering it.

"Yet to be seen," Schwartz said. "He can do it. He's a good player with the football in his hands, and he's got good hands back there, but we'll see. We have a lot of good guys that will be in the mix, including a veteran player like Stefan Logan, who's made a lot of good plays for us. It'll shape out over the course of training camp and preseason games."

Despite Detroit's addition of receiver Ryan Broyles in this year's draft, Young is not ready to let anybody take away his playing time.

"Competition, that's number one," Young said. "That's why I'm here right now because that's what brings out the best in me."

Young had 48 receptions for 607 yards and six touchdowns as a rookie last year, but his offseason performance has shown the best is yet to come for Detroit's second-year receiver.

"I've just been following after this guy (Calvin Johnson) right here," Young said while pointing at his teammate. "Just stealing all the knowledge I can get from him and Nate (Burleson). Even the younger guys bring that little kid joy.

"When a kid is so interested in learning, it motivates you. I feel like kids motivate this world, and I feel like bringing in the rookie receivers motivates the older guys to try to give them an example of what our (receivers) coach, Shawn Jefferson, expects out of us, which is a lot."
A very similar article:

Lions coach: Titus Young looking 'outstanding' in minicamp

It also talks about General manager Martin Mayhew naming a few players poised for breaking out(excerpts):

General manager Martin Mayhew named Fairley as one of three candidates to have a breakout season this fall on Day 2 of minicamp Wednesday, and coach Jim Schwartz said Young has looked "outstanding" since he returned to the team after a practice skirmish with safety Louis Delmas last month.

"He's had a good run since he's been back," Schwartz said of Young. "He's worked hard, he's been a good teammate. He's probably looked the best that I've seen him look in this couple-week span. But we just need to keep him on this track because he's been outstanding."

Young, a second-round pick out of Boise State last year, has turned heads with his playmaking ability in just about every practice over the last three weeks.

He has made a handful of leaping catches, including one in a red-zone drill over cornerback Aaron Berry on Day 1 of minicamp Tuesday, and he has taken first-team reps at kick and punt returner, which he could add to his expanded role as a receiver this fall.

"Punt return is really where my heart is," Young said. "Ever since I was younger that's where I really got noticed at, just catching the ball and just making a lot of people miss. ... (I'd) definitely love to do it."

Schwartz was asked whether Young has looked as good to coaches as he has to reporters this spring.

"You weren't seeing ghosts out there," he said. "You were seeing the same things that we were seeing."
and:
Fairley, the 13th overall pick out of Auburn last year, has been just as impressive without the pads on, though he's disappointed Lions brass with two arrests since April for possession of marijuana and driving under the influence of alcohol. He has hearings pending in both cases.

"He's had an outstanding off-season out here on the field. Not so good off the field, but he's been outstanding in practice here," Mayhew said. "He's worked his butt off, he's in great condition. He's done some things out here on tape just running around that make you run the tape back and go, 'Who is that?' He has tremendous, tremendous talent level and hopefully he can fulfill that."

Mayhew listed Fairley, defensive end Willie Young and running back Jahvid Best as three potential breakout candidates for this season.

Nate Burleson: Matthew Stafford's arm like Culpepper

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

Detroit Lions receiver Nate Burleson believes his teammate Matthew Stafford has the strongest arm in the league. That arm may just be getting stronger.

"My teammates and I have been talking about it. He's getting stronger. People don't realize last year was his healing-up year from the shoulder surgery," Burleson told ATL this week from Broadcast Boot Camp. "Imagine this year after a whole summer of working out (at) full strength and a season under his belt. He couldn't work out last year. Just imagine ..."

At that point Burleson drifted off for a moment in reverie while shaking his head. He knows all about big arms. Stafford reminds Burleson of his ex-teammate Daunte Culpepper in that department.

"Just a rocket. An absolute gun. Daunte broke my finger, man. I remember I was going in motion one time and I slapped Daunte on the butt super hard," Burleson said. "Everybody could hear it and he didn't like that stuff. (Note: Who does?) And the ball was coming to me. He turned around and threw the ball so hard at me.

"I yelled 'This is all you got?' But my hands were stinging like crazy. I did the same thing to Stafford. Said, 'C'mon, let's see what you got!' I was running a crossing route and he whipped it. And you could hear it whistling through the air. And that's when I knew Stafford had the same skill set as Daunte."

Burleson said Stafford has "moxie" like one of those Texas high school quarterbacks from football movies that walk around with a swagger because they can make every throw.

We'd argue that Stafford already has the strongest pure arm in the league. If Burleson is right, and Stafford gets stronger this year, there won't be any doubt.

I REALLY hope these young guys have learned their lesson and realize that they are seriously hurting the team. They seem to have a really good thing going now, and

we do NOT need to self-destruct.

Titus Young looked really good last year. He + Calvin + possibly Broyles if he can stay healthy could be a lethal trio for many, many years.

R.J. Archer added by Lions to compete with Moore

By Brian McIntyre

Around the League writer

The Detroit Lions proved they're serious about making rookie quarterback Kellen Moore earn a roster spot on Thursday, signing R.J. Archer out of the Arena Football League to compete with Moore for the team's third-string job.

The Associated Press reported the move, which came even though the Lions had already bolstered the depth chart by signing Moore to a three-year deal. According to a source with knowledge of Moore's contract, he received a $20,000 signing bonus, tying for the largest paid by the Lions to an undrafted free agent this offseason.

Archer played his college ball at William & Mary and went undrafted in 2010. Signed by the Minnesota Vikings for their offseason program, Archer was released before training camp. Archer joined the Vikings' practice squad when injuries hit the team's quarterback position hard late in the 2010 season. Archer was added to the 53-man roster ahead of a Week 15 loss to the Chicago Bears, but did not dress and was released the following week. He most recently played for the AFL's Georgia Force.

Adding a camp arm makes sense for the Lions. Starter Matthew Stafford had a league-high 663 attempts last season and could use a break in camp and the preseason. Moore's impressive college career and signing bonus figure to give him an edge in the competition, however. Even if Moore were to struggle in the preseason, he has too much potential for the Lions to expose him to the waiver wire or use him on the practice squad.

My link

Tom Kowalski selected to receive **** McCann Award by Pro Football Writers Association

It's not often a Killer is honored by a group of his peers, but this is one of those cases.

Tom "Killer" Kowalski, the longtime Detroit Lions beat writer for MLive.com and Booth Newspapers who died last year at the age of 51, will receive the #### McCann Memorial Award from the Pro Football Writers Association. The award is given to a reporter who has made a long and distinguished contribution to pro football through coverage.

Kowalski certainly fit the bill with an outstanding career that spanned more than 30 years before his sudden death from a heart attack on August 29, 2011. (Remember the fan tributes to Killer.)

The McCann Award will be presented during the Enshrinees' Gold Jacket Dinner on Friday, Aug. 3, 2012 in Canton, Ohio, during the 2012 Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Festival.

"The list of McCann Award winners represents the giants of the football writing profession," said PFWA president Mark Gaughan. "Every one of the winners has been a consummate professional, dedicated to serving the fans by relentlessly reporting on the game the 'why and the how' behind the results. That's what Tom did for decades covering the Lions. He held himself to the highest standards for accuracy and accountability and tirelessly worked to report on the substance of the game."

Kowalski began covering the Lions for the Oakland Press before moving on to Booth Newspapers in 1997. He was integral to the rapid growth of MLive.com as he built a reputation for being the Lions fans' main source for news, insight and the latest information about their favorite team.

But Kowalski didn't stop there. He built a brand that reached across all platforms of sports media. He was a regular guest as a Lions Insider on WDFN-AM 1130 "The Fan" in Detroit before joining the station as a co-host. Killer was also part of the FOX-2 Detroit Lions pre-game show, and wrote articles about the team for The Sporting News.

Despite his old-school belief in journalistic integrity, Kowalski was always open to learning new technology. From live chats to Facebook to Twitter, it was always a priority to interact with readers, many of whom were waiting on is next word.

"He was great because he deeply cared about what the fans wanted to know," said Bill Emkow, MLive Director of State News. "He worked for them. He took the time to listen, and he took their concerns seriously. He frequently took their issues back to the coaches, players and organization for comment.

"He was born in an era where the reporters and editors dictated news down to the masses, and he redefined himself as the voice of the fans."

Sometimes it was easier for him to adapt to one technology than another, but eventually Kowalski was always up to the task.

"The business started moving fast for him," said Kowalski's fiancee Diane Wolan. "Newspaper, TV, radio, computers, and he was adamant to keep his fans informed as quickly as possible, as well as hear what they had to say and try to get information as to what they were looking for. ...

"I don't think he knew the meaning of slowing down to relax. Even in the times when he had a few weeks off, he was never far enough away from a computer or where a phone could be used. He just had something within him that couldn't turn business off. But to him, it wasn't business, it was just his love for the game and what he did."

Paula Pasche knew Killer before he was "Killer." The two began working at the Oakland Press around the same time, and were friends since then. It was Pasche, currently the Lions beat writer for the Oakland Press, who nominated Kowalski for the McCann Award.

"In my nomination I was clear it was not made because Tom had died," she explained. "He deserved recognition for his 30 years of excellent NFL coverage."

That excellence came not only from his dedication and work ethic, but from years upon years of building relationships, earning the trust of sources and taking the time to truly learn the game of football.

"Tom knew his stuff," Pasche said. "He worked hard at it. It's not that other beat writers don't, it's that Tom was willing to put in the extra work to give his readers information they could not get elsewhere. He had his opinions and would not back down no matter what.

"He was a competitive person and it showed in his beat writing. He always wanted to break the story. Maybe overlooked is that he was such a talented writer. He took great pride in that. In fact, years ago he attempted to write a novel."

Perhaps as underrated as his writing ability was Kowalski's charitable spirit. (The Killer Classic charity golf tournament coming up in August.) He wanted to help those in need in any way he could, participating in and founding more than one fundraiser, including one he held particularly close to his heart Our Children's Fund, whose "Holiday Help" program provides food, clothing and gifts to needy area families.

As competitive and opinionated as he was, Kowalski had a magnetic personality. Even his competitors and those in the Lions organization counted themselves among his personal friends.

After his death, the club renamed the media room the "Tom Kowalski Press Room," donated a portion of concession sales from the last season's home opener to two of his favorite charities and started a sports journalism scholarship in his name.

"I miss Tom's work," said Fox Sports Detroit's Mike O'Hara, who was The Detroit News' longtime Lions beat writer. "I miss his presence even more. Thirty years of arguing, insulting, laughing and some serious talk was a great experience, but I'd like 30 more. His dedication to covering the game of football was unmatched."

**** McCann was a reporter for several different newspapers in New York, a sports columnist for the Washington Times-Herald, the publicity director and general manager of the Washington Redskins, and the first director of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Previous **** McCann Memorial Award winners:

2011 - Bob McGinn, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

2010 - Peter Finney, New Orleans Times-Picayune

2009 - Peter King, Sports Illustrated

2008 - Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

2007 - John Clayton, ESPN/ESPN.com

2006 - John McClain, Houston Chronicle

2005 - Jerry Green, Detroit News

2004 - Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News

2003 - Joel Buchsbaum, Pro Football Weekly

2002 - Edwin Pope, Miami Herald

2001 - Len Shapiro, Washington Post

2000 - Tom McEwen, Tampa Tribune

1999 - Art Spander, Oakland Tribune

1998 - Dave Anderson, New York Times

1997 - Bob Roesler, New Orleans Times-Picayune

1996 - Paul Zimmerman, Sports Illustrated

1995 - Ray Didinger, Philadelphia Daily News

1994 - Don Pierson, Chicago Tribune

1993 - Ira Miller, San Francisco Chronicle

1992 - Frank Luksa, Dallas Morning News

1991 - **** Connor, Denver Post

1990 - Will McDonough, Boston Globe

1989 - Vito Stellino, Baltimore Sun

1988 - Gordon Forbes, USA Today

1987 - Jerry Magee, San Diego Union

1986 - Bill Wallace, New York Times

1985 - Cooper Rollow - Chicago Tribune

1984 - Larry Felser, Buffalo News

1983 - Hugh Brown, Philadelphia Bulletin

1982 - Cameron Snyder, Baltimore Morning Sun

1981 - Norm Miller, New York Daily News

1980 - Chuck Heaton, Cleveland Plain Dealer

1979 - Pat Livingston, Pittsburgh Press

1978 - Murray Olderman, Newspaper Enterprise Assoc.

1977 - Art Daley, Green Bay Press-Gazette

1976 - Jack Hand, Associated Press

1975 - John Steadman, Baltimore News-American

1974 - Bob Oates, Los Angeles Times

1973 - Dave Brady, Washington Post

1972 - Lewis Atchison, Washington Star

1971 - Joe King, New York World-Telegram and Sun

1970 - Arthur Daley, New York Times

1969 - George Strickler, Chicago Tribune
Well deserved. :thumbup:

My link

Tom Kowalski selected to receive **** McCann Award by Pro Football Writers Association

It's not often a Killer is honored by a group of his peers, but this is one of those cases.

Tom "Killer" Kowalski, the longtime Detroit Lions beat writer for MLive.com and Booth Newspapers who died last year at the age of 51, will receive the #### McCann Memorial Award from the Pro Football Writers Association. The award is given to a reporter who has made a long and distinguished contribution to pro football through coverage.

Kowalski certainly fit the bill with an outstanding career that spanned more than 30 years before his sudden death from a heart attack on August 29, 2011. (Remember the fan tributes to Killer.)

The McCann Award will be presented during the Enshrinees' Gold Jacket Dinner on Friday, Aug. 3, 2012 in Canton, Ohio, during the 2012 Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Festival.

"The list of McCann Award winners represents the giants of the football writing profession," said PFWA president Mark Gaughan. "Every one of the winners has been a consummate professional, dedicated to serving the fans by relentlessly reporting on the game the 'why and the how' behind the results. That's what Tom did for decades covering the Lions. He held himself to the highest standards for accuracy and accountability and tirelessly worked to report on the substance of the game."

Kowalski began covering the Lions for the Oakland Press before moving on to Booth Newspapers in 1997. He was integral to the rapid growth of MLive.com as he built a reputation for being the Lions fans' main source for news, insight and the latest information about their favorite team.

But Kowalski didn't stop there. He built a brand that reached across all platforms of sports media. He was a regular guest as a Lions Insider on WDFN-AM 1130 "The Fan" in Detroit before joining the station as a co-host. Killer was also part of the FOX-2 Detroit Lions pre-game show, and wrote articles about the team for The Sporting News.

Despite his old-school belief in journalistic integrity, Kowalski was always open to learning new technology. From live chats to Facebook to Twitter, it was always a priority to interact with readers, many of whom were waiting on is next word.

"He was great because he deeply cared about what the fans wanted to know," said Bill Emkow, MLive Director of State News. "He worked for them. He took the time to listen, and he took their concerns seriously. He frequently took their issues back to the coaches, players and organization for comment.

"He was born in an era where the reporters and editors dictated news down to the masses, and he redefined himself as the voice of the fans."

Sometimes it was easier for him to adapt to one technology than another, but eventually Kowalski was always up to the task.

"The business started moving fast for him," said Kowalski's fiancee Diane Wolan. "Newspaper, TV, radio, computers, and he was adamant to keep his fans informed as quickly as possible, as well as hear what they had to say and try to get information as to what they were looking for. ...

"I don't think he knew the meaning of slowing down to relax. Even in the times when he had a few weeks off, he was never far enough away from a computer or where a phone could be used. He just had something within him that couldn't turn business off. But to him, it wasn't business, it was just his love for the game and what he did."

Paula Pasche knew Killer before he was "Killer." The two began working at the Oakland Press around the same time, and were friends since then. It was Pasche, currently the Lions beat writer for the Oakland Press, who nominated Kowalski for the McCann Award.

"In my nomination I was clear it was not made because Tom had died," she explained. "He deserved recognition for his 30 years of excellent NFL coverage."

That excellence came not only from his dedication and work ethic, but from years upon years of building relationships, earning the trust of sources and taking the time to truly learn the game of football.

"Tom knew his stuff," Pasche said. "He worked hard at it. It's not that other beat writers don't, it's that Tom was willing to put in the extra work to give his readers information they could not get elsewhere. He had his opinions and would not back down no matter what.

"He was a competitive person and it showed in his beat writing. He always wanted to break the story. Maybe overlooked is that he was such a talented writer. He took great pride in that. In fact, years ago he attempted to write a novel."

Perhaps as underrated as his writing ability was Kowalski's charitable spirit. (The Killer Classic charity golf tournament coming up in August.) He wanted to help those in need in any way he could, participating in and founding more than one fundraiser, including one he held particularly close to his heart Our Children's Fund, whose "Holiday Help" program provides food, clothing and gifts to needy area families.

As competitive and opinionated as he was, Kowalski had a magnetic personality. Even his competitors and those in the Lions organization counted themselves among his personal friends.

After his death, the club renamed the media room the "Tom Kowalski Press Room," donated a portion of concession sales from the last season's home opener to two of his favorite charities and started a sports journalism scholarship in his name.

"I miss Tom's work," said Fox Sports Detroit's Mike O'Hara, who was The Detroit News' longtime Lions beat writer. "I miss his presence even more. Thirty years of arguing, insulting, laughing and some serious talk was a great experience, but I'd like 30 more. His dedication to covering the game of football was unmatched."

**** McCann was a reporter for several different newspapers in New York, a sports columnist for the Washington Times-Herald, the publicity director and general manager of the Washington Redskins, and the first director of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Previous **** McCann Memorial Award winners:

2011 - Bob McGinn, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

2010 - Peter Finney, New Orleans Times-Picayune

2009 - Peter King, Sports Illustrated

2008 - Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

2007 - John Clayton, ESPN/ESPN.com

2006 - John McClain, Houston Chronicle

2005 - Jerry Green, Detroit News

2004 - Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News

2003 - Joel Buchsbaum, Pro Football Weekly

2002 - Edwin Pope, Miami Herald

2001 - Len Shapiro, Washington Post

2000 - Tom McEwen, Tampa Tribune

1999 - Art Spander, Oakland Tribune

1998 - Dave Anderson, New York Times

1997 - Bob Roesler, New Orleans Times-Picayune

1996 - Paul Zimmerman, Sports Illustrated

1995 - Ray Didinger, Philadelphia Daily News

1994 - Don Pierson, Chicago Tribune

1993 - Ira Miller, San Francisco Chronicle

1992 - Frank Luksa, Dallas Morning News

1991 - **** Connor, Denver Post

1990 - Will McDonough, Boston Globe

1989 - Vito Stellino, Baltimore Sun

1988 - Gordon Forbes, USA Today

1987 - Jerry Magee, San Diego Union

1986 - Bill Wallace, New York Times

1985 - Cooper Rollow - Chicago Tribune

1984 - Larry Felser, Buffalo News

1983 - Hugh Brown, Philadelphia Bulletin

1982 - Cameron Snyder, Baltimore Morning Sun

1981 - Norm Miller, New York Daily News

1980 - Chuck Heaton, Cleveland Plain Dealer

1979 - Pat Livingston, Pittsburgh Press

1978 - Murray Olderman, Newspaper Enterprise Assoc.

1977 - Art Daley, Green Bay Press-Gazette

1976 - Jack Hand, Associated Press

1975 - John Steadman, Baltimore News-American

1974 - Bob Oates, Los Angeles Times

1973 - Dave Brady, Washington Post

1972 - Lewis Atchison, Washington Star

1971 - Joe King, New York World-Telegram and Sun

1970 - Arthur Daley, New York Times

1969 - George Strickler, Chicago Tribune
Well deserved. :thumbup:
Agreed. Good stuff.

Tom Kowalski hung out at a pub that my wife and I frequent. Tom was a friend of the owners as was I but we were not mutual friends. During the course a a couple of years I did get to know Tom because we would have spirited talks with the owner about sports. The owner used to call me and say "Tom is stopping up tonight so come up" Tom always came by himself but soon there were 3-4 of us talking sports and he loved it. A very big man and and a very big laugh.

Before I met him I thought he was a bit arrogant when he was on TV..nothing could have been further from the truth. In person Tom was one of the guys who would drink beer and talk sports for hours on end and never turned anyone off who came up to him. I truly miss Tom because he was a different breed..not always loking for dirt but just doing honest reporting and giving credit when credit was due.

Tom Kowalski hung out at a pub that my wife and I frequent. Tom was a friend of the owners as was I but we were not mutual friends. During the course a a couple of years I did get to know Tom because we would have spirited talks with the owner about sports. The owner used to call me and say "Tom is stopping up tonight so come up" Tom always came by himself but soon there were 3-4 of us talking sports and he loved it. A very big man and and a very big laugh. Before I met him I thought he was a bit arrogant when he was on TV..nothing could have been further from the truth. In person Tom was one of the guys who would drink beer and talk sports for hours on end and never turned anyone off who came up to him. I truly miss Tom because he was a different breed..not always loking for dirt but just doing honest reporting and giving credit when credit was due.
Good stuff, thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

from the freep:

The Detroit Lions added a big piece to their defensive backfield today by agreeing to contract terms with safety Sean Jones, who started every game for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers the last two seasons.

The Lions announced that the deal is for one year and that rookie free-agent safety Sam Proctor was released. Jones, 30, visited the Lions in early May but left without a contract. Safeties O.J. Atogwe and Chris Crocker also visited in May.

“If there's guys that make sense for us, including a couple guys that went through this thing, we can fit them in,” Lions coach Jim Schwartz said last month. “Certainly not the finish line with our roster.”

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said earlier this month he was “continuing to dialogue” with some of the veteran safeties who visited this off-season.

Jones (6-feet-1, 220 pounds) had 92 tackles and one sack last season. He is expected to compete for a starting job. With Louis Delmas (sprained ankle) and Amari Spievey (postconcussion symptoms) sidelined much of the spring, Erik Coleman took a full allotment of first-team reps at safety.

Jones, who played at Georgia, also has played for the Cleveland Browns (2004-08) and Philadelphia Eagles (2009). He was a second-round pick of the Browns in 2004.

Jones has started 85 of 107 games in his eight-year career. He has recorded 513 tackles, four sacks and 17 interceptions

Tom Kowalski hung out at a pub that my wife and I frequent. Tom was a friend of the owners as was I but we were not mutual friends. During the course a a couple of years I did get to know Tom because we would have spirited talks with the owner about sports. The owner used to call me and say "Tom is stopping up tonight so come up" Tom always came by himself but soon there were 3-4 of us talking sports and he loved it. A very big man and and a very big laugh. Before I met him I thought he was a bit arrogant when he was on TV..nothing could have been further from the truth. In person Tom was one of the guys who would drink beer and talk sports for hours on end and never turned anyone off who came up to him. I truly miss Tom because he was a different breed..not always loking for dirt but just doing honest reporting and giving credit when credit was due.
Good stuff, thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
small world bro, back when Killer was single, he and two of my former co-workers were room mates. They had a giant house on Sylvan lake and would throw legendary parties. Met Tom in person several times and often because of work connections I would frequently see him at weddings/parties and get together. Whats odd is that one of the roomates that I used to work with also passed away this spring to cancer and was only 48. Only the good die young.

CB Aaron Berry is the latest Lion to get in trouble with the law...busted for DUI over the weekend. This is just ridiculous. :thumbdown:
You'd think the Lions would have addressed this as a team and then put forth monetary consequences for offenders and repeat offenders. This team seems to really lack discipline, who are/is the team leaders? We need Tebow........just kidding, sort of.

CB Aaron Berry is the latest Lion to get in trouble with the law...busted for DUI over the weekend. This is just ridiculous. :thumbdown:
terrible.they need to make an example out of someone, cut Leshoure or something. This is out of control
Considering yesterday was the 2 year anniversary of President Tom Lewand's DUI, it is hard to justify firing people over these offenses. The Lions knew about some of these young players' character issues. They want talent, not schoolboys and I don't expect them to do anything but stand by their players.

Lions' hidden treasure: Running back

By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

Examining a position group that could exceed its preseason expectations:

There is reason to be optimistic about the Detroit Lions' backfield despite a two-game suspension for one prominent player and every-down concerns about another.

By the time Mikel Leshoure gets into a regular season game, he'll have gone a full 13 months since rupturing his Achilles tendon. That's more than enough time to project him at 100 percent when his 2012 season begins.

Jahvid Best's concussion history always will be a concern, but the 14-game eligibility of Leshoure should give the Lions an opportunity to pick and choose their spots for Best's unique game-breaking skills. And if nothing else, veteran Kevin Smith proved last season that he can jump into the lineup and produce immediately on short notice.

The Lions would prefer to have less question marks and contingencies in their backfield, but it's not difficult to foresee more than adequate success.

Users who are viewing this thread