What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (14 Viewers)

Jeff Risdon‏Verified account @JeffRisdon 18h18 hours ago

All the Lions media here in the interview room is crowded in front of Harold Landry. That is not a coincidence

-------------------

im Twentyman‏Verified account @ttwentyman

FollowFollow @ttwentyman

Boston College DE/OLB Harold Landry: “Nobody in this draft class has a first step like mine and a bend like I do.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview room missing rbs, possibly a sign they hit the fa market?
Seems like the Pats way is to bring in a bunch of cheap young or retread RBs and one always seems to work out for them.  Wonder if that will be how the Lions handle the RBs now.

Seems like the Pats way is to bring in a bunch of cheap young or retread RBs and one always seems to work out for them.  Wonder if that will be how the Lions handle the RBs now.
Lots of guys that could fit 2 down banger back available in free agency. Crowell, Martin, Anderson/Murray assuming they indeed get released, hyde perhaps. I want a rookie like freeman or penny. 

So @TartanLion and I ran the Lions mock for the Shark Pool. Here is what we got:

Rd 1: DE/OLB Harold Landry - Boston College

Rd 2: DT Tim Settles - Virginia Tech

Rd 3: RB Rashaad Penny- San Diego State

How did we do?
Settle did not do well at the combine- knowing that I likely would have taken a different DT. The Lions 2nd round curse continues even in our mock? 

The other 2 pickslook great

Also I got DE/DT Jalyn Holmes from tOSU in the 4th. Real big long body with the skills to play a few spots on the line.

matuski said:
So many mocks have us ending up with Guice.

Not sure I like this in the 1st.  Nothing against Guice, but I'd rather pick up an FA over using a first on the guy.
I’d rather address a need and take a guy in rd 2-3. Chubb, penny, freeman, in the fa market i might be happy with Crowell but balk at some of the other options. Whichever way we go, even if we sign a fa, let’s just take a rb in a stacked class anyway, right? We passed up a lot of good backs last year in a deep class, let’s not make the same mistake. Perhaps we can move Abdullah for a 5th or something- I think a change would do him some good. Then you have riddick with his role, and make the other job up for grabs. Sign gore for a year. Sign another fa. Draft a guy. Let them all battle it out. Honestly, having gore in the mix would push everyone, because you know he wants one more year. 

Do not spend an early pick on a rb. The defensice front 7 is awful. They need starters and better depth at dline and lb
Once you get past the obvious #1RB, there really is a pretty solid group that should still be mostly there in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The other 2 of 3 picks in the first 2 days should be front 7 on defense as you said.

Bracie Smathers said:
Jeff Risdon‏Verified account @JeffRisdon 18h18 hours ago

All the Lions media here in the interview room is crowded in front of Harold Landry. That is not a coincidence

-------------------

im Twentyman‏Verified account @ttwentyman

FollowFollow @ttwentyman

Boston College DE/OLB Harold Landry: “Nobody in this draft class has a first step like mine and a bend like I do.”
Mike Renner‏Verified account @PFF_Mike 17h17 hours ago

The list of 250+ pound D-Linemen drafted in R1 with sub 6.9 3-cones at combine since 2000:

• DeMarcus Ware
  • JJ Watt
  • David Pollack
  • Melvin Ingram
  • Joey Bosa
  • TJ Watt
  • (Soon to be) Harold Landry

Hoping for Chubb in round 2. Don’t think he’ll be there though. Defense in round one. 

Mike Renner‏Verified account @PFF_Mike 17h17 hours ago

The list of 250+ pound D-Linemen drafted in R1 with sub 6.9 3-cones at combine since 2000:

• DeMarcus Ware
  • JJ Watt
  • David Pollack
  • Melvin Ingram
  • Joey Bosa
  • TJ Watt
  • (Soon to be) Harold Landry
Yeah, I am worried that Landry is going to be a top 15 pick now

Hoping for Chubb in round 2. Don’t thing he’ll be there though. Defense in round one. 
Yeah, I am worried that the 2nd tier of RBs are all going to go before Detroit is up in the 2nd round. I really would prefer to wait untill the 3rd for a RB but now I am not sure Freeman will make it there. 

Ebron on the block. Who have we done business with lately that has an opening for #2 te that may need a starter as soon as next year?

Washington would be intriguing as well, but I was referring to NE. Maybe Jacksonville? I’m fine with him for another year in Detroit as well to be honest. 

I wouldn’t mind another year of Ebron unless,  of course, the Lions can get some good value with a trade. Seemed to get better near the end of season. 

I wouldn’t mind another year of Ebron unless,  of course, the Lions can get some good value with a trade. Seemed to get better near the end of season. 
Keep him during his contract year and let someone else pay him after. If we ship him off for a 6th or something I think we are better off keeping him. Who replaces him, fells? Roberts? If we get a 4th, sure take it and I’m fine moving on, but I’d like to see him be just a little more productive and help the team this year. 

I like the idea of trading down in this draft and acquiring more picks. There does seem like some defensive talent being traded for later picks...wish the Lions would have jumped in the mix for Michael Bennett (unless he is really a PITA in the locker room). It would be nice to land some DLINE in FA to give us some flexibility on draft day.

some interesting bits on combine/draft from the latest Detroit Lions podcast ....

Lions had dinner with Crowell’s agents in Indy 

They really like Guice and Michel in particular but are unlikely to draft either in the 1st. If Michel somehow dropped to the 2nd expect us to take him. 

Ebron is part of the whole trade talks involving him, as he wants out of Detroit. Thin skinned, sensitive guy that has had enough of fan criticism 

Could look at Frank Ragnow in draft 

Caldwell is reason Prince was kept around. Whole OL room hated him. Was described as ‘worse than a middle school coach’ by a player. Was main reason Warford wanted out. 

We want flexible safeties on our team and may look at them in middle rounds. Quite a few names were mentioned.

Cameron Kelly is someone we’ve met and have a rapport with - he’s a CB/Safety hybrid 

Whitehead won’t be back apparently. Team is looking to Killibrew and Maybin to step up. Some cheaper FA linebackers will most likely come in. Marquis Flowers could maybe come in. 

90% chance our first pick is front 7 on the D. Obviously. Landry, Davenport, Payne, Bryan are players we really like. Bryan may drop to round 2

Wouldn’t be shocked if took a safety in day 2 if one fell nicely.  

ffweasel said:
Was talking with a friend about this earlier. I guess I could live with it if he performs well. It all depends on the money. Don’t overpay him. 
thing is he don't seem like the type to go for a ring and take a discount say for the Pats or Eagles. He is all about the money. With the Landry move though maybe Miami don't need to cut him now.

Do you guys think we make a splash free agent signing? Honey badger or one of the top cb? Or will we sign cheap vets? I’d be fine with Crowell, I want shiny new but he’s a solid young back that is underrated in the passing game and would give us the power element we need. I hope we add a starter to the oline somehow. Or at least upgrade the swing tackle. 

Do you guys think we make a splash free agent signing? Honey badger or one of the top cb? Or will we sign cheap vets? I’d be fine with Crowell, I want shiny new but he’s a solid young back that is underrated in the passing game and would give us the power element we need. I hope we add a starter to the oline somehow. Or at least upgrade the swing tackle. 
For the decent price, I would welcome Mathieu. He's had some really great seasons and some mediocre ones. He didn't grade out very well last year. I also don't think it would be a bad idea to cheaply sign a pair of backs like Crowell and Burkhead and using the backfield like the Eagles or Patriots have been. In the draft, I think we need to heavily invest on D in nearly every round.  

Also there are reports of Sherman coming to Detroit. I would not mind. Based on his metrics, Sherman was still a top level NFL corner last year. Assuming his medical looks good of course. 

For the decent price, I would welcome Mathieu. He's had some really great seasons and some mediocre ones. He didn't grade out very well last year. I also don't think it would be a bad idea to cheaply sign a pair of backs like Crowell and Burkhead and using the backfield like the Eagles or Patriots have been. In the draft, I think we need to heavily invest on D in nearly every round.  

Also there are reports of Sherman coming to Detroit. I would not mind. Based on his metrics, Sherman was still a top level NFL corner last year. Assuming his medical looks good of course. 
I agree, Sherman opposite slay, and why not nickel up honey badger, secondary was a strength and you make it better. Draft dline lb oline and let’s roll

I’d welcome sub back too but I think he’ll still command a large salary- Cleveland would make sense. A line of Garrett suh Chubb would be pretty daunting. I’d rather use that money elsewhere. 

I’d welcome sub back too but I think he’ll still command a large salary- Cleveland would make sense. A line of Garrett suh Chubb would be pretty daunting. I’d rather use that money elsewhere. 
Yeah I think Suh will be too pricey to bring back. Eric Reid might be a nice value at safety since there is speculation he's going to lose money due to his political views and kneeing. By all account he is a good young safety that can play either spot. 

Wilkerson, Murray, and Stewart in for visits.  Wilkerson at the right price would be a nice addition.  I'd be OK with Stewart added to the RB group also.

I believe you are right. I would have to imagine that Burton has more reliable hands although Enron had a pretty good stretch last year without drop problems.
Part of me thinks Burton might be pretty overrated. Was that Eagles offense just really well ran and he was schemed open a lot? Maybe. We are talking about a TE with 4 years in the NFL, 5 games started and only 629 career yards. I know Ebron has been frustrating due to the drops and being way overdrafted. But Ebron is 1.5 years younger and has over 2000 career yards.

I hope Murray and Stewart leave without deals, that’s not what we need. If we need a fa let’s get Crowell. If we sign a grizzly vet I’d rather have frank gore. 

Part of me thinks Burton might be pretty overrated. Was that Eagles offense just really well ran and he was schemed open a lot? Maybe. We are talking about a TE with 4 years in the NFL, 5 games started and only 629 career yards. I know Ebron has been frustrating due to the drops and being way overdrafted. But Ebron is 1.5 years younger and has over 2000 career yards.
Those are good points. I certainly would not want the Lion's to blow a lot of funds on him but they may have to in order to sign him if the interest is there from other teams. TE is not a huge need for this team and Michael Roberts played well enough to be a #2 in this offense. If they sign Burton and get someone to trade for Ebron I am fine with it as long as the contract was reasonable. 

I hope Murray and Stewart leave without deals, that’s not what we need. If we need a fa let’s get Crowell. If we sign a grizzly vet I’d rather have frank gore. 
I don't mind Murray if it is essentially a one year deal and he is healthy and we back it up with a promising rookie. I would love Crowell as I always loved him as a runner and feel like he still has upside. 

I don't mind Murray if it is essentially a one year deal and he is healthy and we back it up with a promising rookie. I would love Crowell as I always loved him as a runner and feel like he still has upside. 
If that’s how it goes I’m on board- but we need to get some fresh legs back there. There are so many talented backs again this year, I’d hate to pass on all of them because we signed Murray or Stewart. 

Stupid non-news hype but report of Patricia wants to get his own version of Gronk and it won't be Ebron.

So stupid. One, it's the non news story of the year that Ebron isn't the next Gronk. Also, what team wouldn't want a HoF player at any position? What will we hear next, Jon Gruden is looking for a Joe Thomas or Hue Jackson would like the next Drew Brees?

swabs said:
Wilkerson, Murray, and Stewart in for visits.  Wilkerson at the right price would be a nice addition.  I'd be OK with Stewart added to the RB group also.
didn't see any blurbs about wilkerson.  that'd be sweet, but i have a feeling his price, like suh's, will be prohibitive.

Users who are viewing this thread