What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (29 Viewers)

Oline and defense please. Skill guys can wait- I think there are a lot of rb/wr we can target in rd 4. I hate the idea of using a pick in the first 3 rds on a te. Wish we cut Ebron earlier and actually used the cap space or kept him for a year. Now te is a need, so I guess I have to be ok with them targeting a guy if they get down there. Hurst being the first te off the board surprised me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Ragnow pick but considering we could easily draft both a TE and an RB, our defense might not be getting much help 

Anyone else interested in Isaiah Oliver? He's a very long corner, I don't mind that idea at all.
I’d put him on the list, but if a quality DL is available I don’t see how you could pass up that area of need. They really are focusing on the guys in the trenches first. He’ll go in 2nd for sure. 

Like the pick. There’s no excuse for the line now 

Decker/Ragnow/Glasgow/Lang/Wagner 

or any combo of, should be a top line, injury permitting. Prince is gone. 

Really want us to load up on defensive talent but would love us to take Nick Chubb. A revamped line with Blount for short yardage, Riddick/Abdullah for receptions, and Chubb to potentially come in and start carving out a role, COULD be very good and COULD give Stafford the best line and running game he’s ever had. 

Hurst, Settle, Landry can we grab one of them and a good RB as well ? 

Ragnow, Chubb, Settle then mine for some raw DE/OLB talent, would that be acceptable to people ? 

Im fine with not spending draft capital on TE, just go with what we have, plenty of teams scrape by at TE, and I think Luke Wilson could be sneaky good 

Like the pick. There’s no excuse for the line now 

Decker/Ragnow/Glasgow/Lang/Wagner 

or any combo of, should be a top line, injury permitting. Prince is gone. 

Really want us to load up on defensive talent but would love us to take Nick Chubb. A revamped line with Blount for short yardage, Riddick/Abdullah for receptions, and Chubb to potentially come in and start carving out a role, COULD be very good and COULD give Stafford the best line and running game he’s ever had. 

Hurst, Settle, Landry can we grab one of them and a good RB as well ? 

Ragnow, Chubb, Settle then mine for some raw DE/OLB talent, would that be acceptable to people ? 

Im fine with not spending draft capital on TE, just go with what we have, plenty of teams scrape by at TE, and I think Luke Wilson could be sneaky good 
Yes, Lions better be able to run now. I still believe if we can get Ameer into open space in the run game, he can make some plays. 

Round 2, we have to do better than we have traditionally done. Have to.

Round 3: I think that is the spot I like for a fun pick like RB/TE?WR

Some teams are in position to make that trade for a skill position guy they like. I feel like with the amount of holes we have we were not in that position. I don’t mind Johnson as a player but I don’t think he is a difference maker. I hope I am proved wrong.

I’m betting they wanted Johnson all along and they knew Washington wanted him. I believe Washington immediately traded back after the Lions pick. Nice pick for them. 

In just read the write up of the safety they took in the 3rd. He had a late 4th round grade, and they have Quinn and Wilson. Plus Mark Andrews sitting right there with a monster hole at tight end. 

I hope the Lions front office are the smartest guys in the room, because that is what their picks are saying. History says they aren't. 

If we can't run the ball, major changes need to  be made to the coaching/management staff. We have the following investments:

1st round LT, 1st round C, 3rd round LG, the 19th highest paid RG the 2nd highest paid RT, two 2nd round RBs

In just read the write up of the safety they took in the 3rd. He had a late 4th round grade, and they have Quinn and Wilson. Plus Mark Andrews sitting right there with a monster whole at tight end. 

I hope the Lions front office are the smartest guys in the room, because that is what their picks are saying. History says they aren't. 
Honestly, it feels like Teez Tabor all over again, where the Lions outbid themselves.Okay, you like him and maybe he wouldn't have been there in round 5 (despite some grades suggest just that), But there weren't any D-lineman with a 3rd/4th grade that intrigued you?

Otherwise, OL is never exciting, but hearing how he was wanted by others (including possibly Cincy, who picked next) makes me feel better. A 2nd round RB isn't exactly stunning. I'm mixed about the trade up, but then again it's quite possible they "stole" a player from the next team up again. At least if it turns out they made a mistake passing up Guice, they're far from the only ones.

If we can't run the ball, major changes need to  be made to the coaching/management staff. We have the following investments:

1st round LT, 1st round C, 3rd round LG, the 19th highest paid RG the 2nd highest paid RT, two 2nd round RBs
well they did deep-six the old Oline coach, who was considered downright terrible. but yes, better health on the oline would be nice too, as wagoner, Decker and TJ all missed time. 

In just read the write up of the safety they took in the 3rd. He had a late 4th round grade, and they have Quinn and Wilson. Plus Mark Andrews sitting right there with a monster hole at tight end. 

Andrews is a glorified WR

Side note.  Matt Millen needs a heart transplant.  Millen has amyloidosis..same thing killed a friend of mine who was 46 at the time.

Honestly, it feels like Teez Tabor all over again, where the Lions outbid themselves.Okay, you like him and maybe he wouldn't have been there in round 5 (despite some grades suggest just that), But there weren't any D-lineman with a 3rd/4th grade that intrigued you?

Otherwise, OL is never exciting, but hearing how he was wanted by others (including possibly Cincy, who picked next) makes me feel better. A 2nd round RB isn't exactly stunning. I'm mixed about the trade up, but then again it's quite possible they "stole" a player from the next team up again. At least if it turns out they made a mistake passing up Guice, they're far from the only ones.
Rumor is that Washington wanted Johnson, and the Lions had to trade in front of them to get him. 

Washington traded down right after the Lions pick and took Guice with their pick, so it seems pretty believable. If Johnson winds up being a lot better than Guice, it was a great move.

I'm much more skeptical about the safety over a DE/DL in the third.

This seems is from the Rate the 2014 Draft Thread, seems relevant here as well

Detroit Lions 2014 Draft Grade: A-

1st round:Eric Ebron TE. I know most people wish the Lions had taken Beckham or Aaron Donald here but those guys are really expensive. The Lions were able to save a ton of money by taking Ebron instead.

2nd round: Kyle Van Noy LB. Starting line backer on a Super Bowl team. Nuff said. 

3rd round: Travis Swanson C. It was such a good pick taking a center from Arkansas that 4 years later the Lions did it again. 

4th round: Nevin Lawson CB. He is still on the team. 

4th round: Larry Webster DE. He played football. 

6th round: TJ Jones WR. He is probably the 3rd best wide receiver with the last name Jones in the NFL now that James Jones is retied. 

7th round: Nate Freese K. Most people think drafting a kicker is a mistake but Freese hasn't missed a kick since the Lions cut him after week 3 of the 2014 season. 

Overall: I rarely hand out As because perfect drafts are so rare- that is why it's just an A minus here. They probably could have done better then getting a starting corner in the 4th round and I just wonder if most of TJ Jones success has been because he has the same name as Marvin and sometimes the coaches confuse them. Other than those small gripes, it's hard to find fault here. 

I don’t know much about Hand but I anticipated the Lion’s accumulating picks more so than trading them away. Outside of the first round I am left scratching my head.

I don’t know much about Hand but I anticipated the Lion’s accumulating picks more so than trading them away. Outside of the first round I am left scratching my head.
5* recruit. Didn’t live up to his potential. I guess one of his former Alabama DL coaches is on the Lions staff now. Ehh. We’ll see. Lions are liking their versatile players. 

I’m relatively fine with how it’s panned out. 

The prices we paid were apparently about bang on normal value . 

I think Quinn and Patricia have probably looked at our our team and QB and decided that the offence is closer to being a truly top level unit than the defence is. Offence has won Superbowls recently. Quinn has methodically made improvements to the whole O line and has added a good all round RB to try to complete the O. I’d think he probably views Patricia as an upgrade to the D. Patricia himself may value  our D players differently and have better ways of utilising them. Apparently Dallas was about to take the Walker player with their next pick as well so maybe he wasn’t such a reach as we thought. 

The DE and OT sound like good value and intriguing picks 

I will say this, all 3 of Quinn's drafts have felt a bit unorthodox and have left me confused after they have completed. He's bypassed a lot of name players in favor of the less heralded.  However, his track record of getting quality players even if they aren't highly touted has been pretty good. Nobody gets them all right but he still seems to have a philosophy that he's staying true to. I can respect that.

My thoughts:

1.Frank Ragnow C-- Position of need even if he switches to guard and pushes Glasgow inside. I didn't like it at the moment because I stayed up 2 hrs. later than usual to see a center picked. Truth. However, he's got an impressive resume and is very low risk high ceiling type of guy. Help us run the ball and stabilize that line please.

2. Kerryon Johnson RB-- He was not on my radar so I had to do some homework. People have talked a bit about running patient like Lev Bell. I don't see that at all. I see a nice forward lean and burst that garners all the yards he's going to get on a particular play with not much juke or make you miss. It reminds me of Laurence Maroney. It's not a diss nor a compliment IMO. He doesn't seem exceptional in any way but has a real good nose for the goal line. He seems like more of a JAG than a true difference maker. However, you can win with guys like this as long the OL opens up some creases for him.

3. Tracy Walker S-- This was by far my least favorite pick. This is a position of strength on this team and there just so many other players I would have been been willing to roll the dice on to go this route. He may be a good player in time, but we won't see it for at least 2 years when playing time allows for it.

4. Da'Shawn Hand--DE Traded into this pick which does not help justify this one dimensional run stuffer. I want my run stuffers to be DTs, not DEs. I would have been much happier rolling the dice on Hurst here.

5. Tyrell Crosby-- OT Could be a real steal. He's a powerful run blocker who has a tendency to grab outside rushers. Push him inside to guard and you might even have a starter here.

7. Nick Bawden-- FB We seem to be the one team left in the league that wants to continue to use this dinosaur of a position. We keep drafting them and letting them go. No idea outside of special teams.

Users who are viewing this thread