What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (16 Viewers)

Lions 2018 UDFA signings

DE Jojo Wicker, Arizona State (Source)
G John Montelus, Virginia (Source)
DB Chris Jones, Nebraska (Source)
DB Antwuan Davis, Texas (Source)
DB Amari Coleman, Central Michigan (Source)
WR Teo Redding, Bowling Green (Source)
CB Mike Ford, Southeast Missouri State (Source)
LB Chad Meredith, Southeast Missouri State (Source) 
S Anthony Sherrils, Missouri (Source) 
OL Brett Kendrick, Tennessee (Source)
LB Al-Rasheed Benton, West Virginia (Source)
K/P Ryan Santoso, Minnesota (Source)
DT Josh Fatu, USC (Source)
TE DeAndre Goolsby, Florida (Source)
OL Beau Nunn, Appalachian State (Source)
WR Brandon Powell, Florida (Source)
WR Kyle Lewis, Cal Poly (Source)

So the lack of edge rusher seems to indicate they plan to resign Ziggy, right?
They might have the cap room to do it if they see the good Ziggy this year. GM also left hints (like he did with the 2nd round RB before day 1) that they are not finished and could end up signing someone else's cap casualty.

As far as that RB goes, hopefully going to a committee backfield will stave off the injuries that will happen when they give you the ball 25 times a game like Auburn did last year. I would assume that Blount on a 1 year contract will be run hard like an old beater while we have still him here. Theo and/or AA + the FB might fill out the final "4 or 5" RBs that the GM says he will keep on the active roster. The FB should get plenty of ST work + the occasional jumbo set on short yardage I would think. ZZ, Tion & Washington could be the cuts unless they settle for the practice squad. 

They might have the cap room to do it if they see the good Ziggy this year. GM also left hints (like he did with the 2nd round RB before day 1) that they are not finished and could end up signing someone else's cap casualty.
I have read some things on Twitter indicating the Lions new defense might not have an emphasis on edge rushers, but instead they prefer their DEs to be bigger (like Hand from Bama) and to simply set the edge. The pressure on the pass rusher is more likely to come from the guys standing up than the front 3. 

As far as that RB goes, hopefully going to a committee backfield will stave off the injuries that will happen when they give you the ball 25 times a game like Auburn did last year. I would assume that Blount on a 1 year contract will be run hard like an old beater while we have still him here. Theo and/or AA + the FB might fill out the final "4 or 5" RBs that the GM says he will keep on the active roster. The FB should get plenty of ST work + the occasional jumbo set on short yardage I would think. ZZ, Tion & Washington could be the cuts unless they settle for the practice squad. 
Good point about Blount keeping Karryon on fresh. My guess for RB usage would be Kerryon on 1st and 2nd, Blount in short yardage, Theo on passing downs in the backfield or the slot, Ameer on passing downs. Then our FB will be in on short yardage and special teams. ZZ, Tion and Washington are gone. If another team gets hit with an injury or 2 in their backfield during camp and preseason we could see Ameer moved. There are some teams that are very thin at RB and just 1 injury would leave with in need immediate help (Tampa, Carolina, Indy) 

Old sexual assault case resurfaces.

The Detroit News' Robert Snell reported that Patricia and his friend, Greg Dietrich, were arrested and charged with sexual assault at South Padre Island, Texas in 1996 after they allegedly "took turns violently sexually assaulting" the woman in her hotel room. There weren't many details from the report about the alleged incident itself, as "the police report was discarded, and several figures involved said they could not recall the case -- not the police chief, lieutenant, grand jury forewoman, prosecutor, assistant prosecutor or defense attorneys," Snell wrote in his story.

Old sexual assault case resurfaces.

The Detroit News' Robert Snell reported that Patricia and his friend, Greg Dietrich, were arrested and charged with sexual assault at South Padre Island, Texas in 1996 after they allegedly "took turns violently sexually assaulting" the woman in her hotel room. There weren't many details from the report about the alleged incident itself, as "the police report was discarded, and several figures involved said they could not recall the case -- not the police chief, lieutenant, grand jury forewoman, prosecutor, assistant prosecutor or defense attorneys," Snell wrote in his story.
This crap is so out of control.  Good for the Lions shutting it all down and backing Patricia.

This crap is so out of control.  Good for the Lions shutting it all down and backing Patricia.
What is out of control? He was charged with sexual assault. It was dropped and it hasn't prevented him from reaching the top of his profession?

What is out of control? He was charged with sexual assault. It was dropped and it hasn't prevented him from reaching the top of his profession?
The effort to make these decades old accusations news (many more examples beyond Patricia).

Whoever the reporter is that thought this was relevant.

These cowardly headlines.  

Making Matt Patricia come out and do a news conference right now about the decades old accusations that some reporter thought was relevant enough to create cowardly headlines over.

#wannabeMeToo

Last edited by a moderator:
The effort to make these decades old accusations news (many more examples beyond Patricia).

Whoever the reporter is that thought this was relevant.

These cowardly headlines.  

Making Matt Patricia come out and do a news conference right now about the decades old accusations that some reporter thought was relevant enough to create cowardly headlines over.

#wannabeMeToo
He was indicted by a grand jury for sexual assault. You don't think that's relevant to know about a new employee? How the #### did the Lions NOT know about it?

He was indicted by a grand jury for sexual assault. You don't think that's relevant to know about a new employee? How the #### did the Lions NOT know about it?
Just heard a lawyer on the radio saying Patricia needs to be careful because if he comes out too strong proclaiming innocence it could provoke the victim into speaking out. 

Nope.  Not relevant at all.

Worse is this effort to create these exact ridiculous lines of logic, misleading questions, and faux outrage about something that didn't happen over 20 years ago.

:lmao:

Now we are warning Patricia to NOT be too strong asserting nothing happened in a 22 year old incident where... nothing happened. 

It is a 22 year old non-issue.
I mostly agree- I’m not saying anything should happen to Patricia. I just would expect teams to be very thorough with coaches. He was hired in 2004 so it was only 8 years after the incident.

Maybe it did come up and they deemed it wasn’t an issue. 

I mostly agree- I’m not saying anything should happen to Patricia. I just would expect teams to be very thorough with changes. He was hired in 2004 so it was only 8 years after the incident.

Maybe it did come up and they deemed it wasn’t an issue. 
“We did a complete background check,” said Wood in a statement to the Detroit News. “Our background check was limited to employment matters only and does not disclose any criminal matters that don’t result in a conviction or a plea agreement.”

“We did a complete background check,” said Wood in a statement to the Detroit News. “Our background check was limited to employment matters only and does not disclose any criminal matters that don’t result in a conviction or a plea agreement.”
It’s fine- I would expect and hope for all employers to that. However we know teams don’t always treat the players the same way. That’s a problem.

Oh someone is definitely getting reamed for not finding this issue. These NFL teams follow around draft picks with private investigators and know what they ate for breakfast 7 years ago.  It's sad that they don't have a decent system for checking employees.

Oh someone is definitely getting reamed for not finding this issue. These NFL teams follow around draft picks with private investigators and know what they ate for breakfast 7 years ago.  It's sad that they don't have a decent system for checking employees.
What issue?

Why are you so certain?  I’m not saying he did anything wrong, but there is an arrest report. Unless you were in the room, you’re being awfully dismissive for no reason. 
Questions like these bring up some twisted logic that he needs to publicly prove his innocence regarding an incident he is innocent of.  Questions like these imply there is some reason for us to open up and hold Patricia responsible for a 22 year old accusation/ arrest/indictment/dismissal because we don't know what actually happened.

Questions like these bring up some twisted logic that he needs to publicly prove his innocence regarding an incident he is innocent of.  Questions like these imply there is some reason for us to open up and hold Patricia responsible for a 22 year old accusation/ arrest/indictment/dismissal because we don't know what actually happened.
I’m not asking him to prove innocence and I don’t think the Lions need to take any action.  Should we all just have assumed that Billy Cosby was super cool because someone accused him of something in the past?  I don’t know what happened here, you don’t know what happened here. The difference being, you pretend you do. 

As to the bolded part above, that’s all anyone has said. You don’t know what happened, so it’s pretty odd to just brush it off. 

I’m not asking him to prove innocence and I don’t think the Lions need to take any action.  Should we all just have assumed that Billy Cosby was super cool because someone accused him of something in the past?  I don’t know what happened here, you don’t know what happened here. The difference being, you pretend you do. 
And there you go.  :lmao:

Thank you for the demonstration of the asinine place we are at today.

I do not claim to know what happened in a case that was dismissed.  I am happy to live in a country where by law we approach these examples as cases being proclaimed innocent.  I am horrified to live in a place and time where logic like yours finds its way into examples like Patricia's.

I think you are onto something here with Cosby, so many similarities I'm starting to think Patricia is black, amiright?  What about Weinstein, amiright?

He doesn’t have to prove his innocence in a court of law. But as his employer - OF COURSE I’m going to interrogate him about it. I don’t want a rapist around my office, representing my team. So I would do whatever I can to find the truth. 

Who wouldn’t?

I side with you on this but by NFL logic, it doesn't matter- just need to look at Zeke case for that. 

I do not claim to know what happened in a case that was dismissed. 

:lmao:

Now we are warning Patricia to NOT be too strong asserting nothing happened in a 22 year old incident where... nothing happened. 
Should we all just assume he isn't Charlie Weinstein?  I think you are onto something here with Cosby, so many similarities I'm starting to think Patricia is black, amiright?
Could have fooled me...  you say nothing happened, then you say you don’t claim to know what happened.   As to the bold, wtf are you rambling about? 

Keep drinking that kool aid brother. 

A couple thoughts on Patricia:

• Assuming his account is true -- and what's been reported gives me no reason to think otherwise -- I do feel bad for him. It sucks that anyone who's ever been arrested will have that follow them around for the rest of their lives, regardless of whether they were ever charged or convicted (Google "mugshot extortion racket" if you want to learn about what a big business this has turned into). I also don't fault him for not proactively volunteering that information to the Lions during the interview process.
  • At the same time, I absolutely fault the Lions for not finding this out during their background check. Saying, "We didn't ask about criminal record" or "We only ask about convictions" is a ridiculous excuse. If that's true, they should fire whoever conducts their background checks. First of all, while in this case Patricia may have been completely innocent, what if it had been a Roethlisberger-type situation, where he was never charged despite the fact that he was very likely guilty? Second, they should have ferreted this information out in a background check to avoid precisely this scenario, where they get blindsided by the media and are scrambling to get control of the story.
When an NFL team invests millions in a new coach and makes him the face of the franchise, it's their job to find out about anything that could potentially embarrass them, even if it happened 20 years ago and even if there was no conviction. And it's in the league's interest as well, which is why I think the NFL's announced investigation is a necessary step.

In this specific case, I hope it all gets resolved quickly, and Patricia can coach the team without any sort of cloud hanging over him. But going forward, both the league and every single team should be reviewing their background-check process to make sure they're not missing important information.

It’s fine- I would expect and hope for all employers to that. However we know teams don’t always treat the players the same way. That’s a problem.
The players are young though none of their baggage is 20 years old.  I guarantee this would be a huge issue for Patricia, and he likely wouldn't been hired, if this happened in the past couple of years.

lord help us if simply getting arrested prevents us from getting a job....im fine with the convicted of a crime threshold. I mean after all martin luther king was arested

For those bashing the Lions why are the Patriots getting a free pass here?  They are the ones the first hired him and gave him a prime gig in the NFL allowing him to ultimately land a head coaching job.  Did they not do their due diligence as well? 

For those bashing the Lions why are the Patriots getting a free pass here?  They are the ones the first hired him and gave him a prime gig in the NFL allowing him to ultimately land a head coaching job.  Did they not do their due diligence as well? 
This has been addressed.  Both teams did their due diligence.

Pipes said:
Probably because this is a Lions thread filled with Lions fans.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Innocent until proven guilty....and background check only show convictions
I have done tons of background checks, and all arrest show up unless one was expunged or sealed.  If you got arrested for disturbing the peace and the charges were dropped or you were found not guilty, it would show up in the background check. Maybe it differs from state to state. It sounds like the front office only cared about the convictions. 

I have done tons of background checks, and all arrest show up unless one was expunged or sealed.  If you got arrested for disturbing the peace and the charges were dropped or you were found not guilty, it would show up in the background check. Maybe it differs from state to state. It sounds like the front office only cared about the convictions. 
It also depends upon how far back a particular department has digitalized their records.

I don't understand how you can say that when neither one of them knew about this.
Knew about what.  A case dismissed 22 years ago?  Why would they?  Why would it matter?

They did their background checks, he came back clean... as he should.

Users who are viewing this thread