What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (10 Viewers)

With the game on the line and needing a score he has to be considered one of the best active. A decent defense and a running game that gets into the top 20 rather than 32 by a mile and he can get it done. 

With the game on the line and needing a score he has to be considered one of the best active. A decent defense and a running game that gets into the top 20 rather than 32 by a mile and he can get it done. 
I’m not disagreeing with this. But if he would pull his head out of his ### and actually play in the first half the way he plays in the 4th quarter, then he wouldn’t have to be a superhero to salvage wins. 

I’m not disagreeing with this. But if he would pull his head out of his ### and actually play in the first half the way he plays in the 4th quarter, then he wouldn’t have to be a superhero to salvage wins. 
Yeah but I think some of this was Caldwell being risk averse. Come out conservative until you can’t anymore. The year before that it was come out on fire and take your foot off the gas until the other team climbs back into it and gets the lead, then Stafford comes back, and maybe we win, or the defense or specials fold in the last 6 minutes. 

Stafford is great in no huddle and I’d love to see more of that. I’d also love to see more of the “run it up” mentality of BElichek. 

• I know it's just preseason but man was that fugly. The OL was atrocious and the 1s got a lot of play minus TJ Lang.
  • I understand getting Stafford some game time action to knock some rust off but after sack #1, he gone if it were me. He's left in for a couple more series and then gets sacked again and then later hit on the throwing arm which had him wincing with elbow pain. I was not happy with that.
  • Abdullah fumbles on a carry and muffs a punt ruining his potential trade value. :sigh: I think any consideration to moving Riddick instead went out the window with his performance. The guy is just slippery, finds space, and makes plays. I know he makes more $$ than Abdullah but he's on a different level too.
The only silver lining to me are no major injuries so far. That's half the battle though.

• I know it's just preseason but man was that fugly. The OL was atrocious and the 1s got a lot of play minus TJ Lang.
  • I understand getting Stafford some game time action to knock some rust off but after sack #1, he gone if it were me. He's left in for a couple more series and then gets sacked again and then later hit on the throwing arm which had him wincing with elbow pain. I was not happy with that.
  • Abdullah fumbles on a carry and muffs a punt ruining his potential trade value. :sigh: I think any consideration to moving Riddick instead went out the window with his performance. The guy is just slippery, finds space, and makes plays. I know he makes more $$ than Abdullah but he's on a different level too.
The only silver lining to me are no major injuries so far. That's half the battle though.
Jarrad davis is gonna be a bust and ashawn robinson has been demoted..Played in the 4th quarter of the pre season game....long season for this defense....need that oline to gel fast...seemed to me like stafford didnt get deep enough on his drop backs

I won’t worry too much about the offense, but I hate seeing them come out so flat. Didn’t like the long drive that ended in a td against the defense, didn’t even really get any good 3rd down distances. 2nd preseason game, everyone healthy, I guess that’s all good. I think our secondary and nickel/dime packages are decent but we need to get some 3rd and longs. Can’t generate any pass rush and our LBs are suspect but I kind of expected that as we used our draft stock on oline and rb. Maybe we add something useful when cuts start. 

Wouldnt it be nice if we had jimmy graham instead of the packers? Or even Ebron? I wish we simply made that decision earlier. By the time we cut him the FA options were picked over iirc.

Jarrad davis is gonna be a bust and ashawn robinson has been demoted..Played in the 4th quarter of the pre season game....long season for this defense....need that oline to gel fast...seemed to me like stafford didnt get deep enough on his drop backs
I can't go that far yet. His issues are between his ears and learning better technique. I thought Spielman said it best although I can't recall verbatim but in a nutshell, Davis needs to commit to reducing route options in coverage. Defend either inside or outside so that you are dictating the throw which it makes it predictable and more defendable. He's always caught in no man's land and gets toasted. You see the athletic ability, but the game needs to slow down for him. I think it will at some point.

Patricia defenses have always been more about scheme than all pro players. I think they will be fine. I am truly concerned about the OL though. They have sunk entirely too many resources into it to be this ineffective still. :fingerscrossed:

I can't go that far yet. His issues are between his ears and learning better technique. I thought Spielman said it best although I can't recall verbatim but in a nutshell, Davis needs to commit to reducing route options in coverage. Defend either inside or outside so that you are dictating the throw which it makes it predictable and more defendable. He's always caught in no man's land and gets toasted. You see the athletic ability, but the game needs to slow down for him. I think it will at some point.

Patricia defenses have always been more about scheme than all pro players. I think they will be fine. I am truly concerned about the OL though. They have sunk entirely too many resources into it to be this ineffective still. :fingerscrossed:
Just making my call.....anyway...the def will be terrible so in ff load up on tate marv stafford and maybe galloday....

the def will be terrible so in ff load up on tate marv stafford and maybe galloday....
As far as the team goes I will wait on the 3rd exhibition game to make any judgements.    But I agree on the above as qb10 being decent value for stafford.   The main 3wrs and 3rbs make it hard for me to push any of those up except maybe kerryon in dynasty.  Prater might be the most sure thing since you can get that boomstick leg at around #11.

too early to call yet another BB disciple a 'bust' as a HC? forget the running game, it wasn't going anywhere with jim.bob.cooter as OC. but there might be value in G. Tate and M. Jones.

We are totally crushing the low expectations game this summer.
Right now I think 8-8 is a realistic expectation. Defense front 7 is too weak to expect much more.

One thing is that Patricia is a breath of fresh air during pressers compared to Caldwell. Caldwell always acted like he was being investigated and questioned for a homicide, Patricia gives very candid, detailed honest answers.  Hope it stays that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Da Guru said:
Right now I think 8-8 is a realistic expectation. Defense front 7 is too weak to expect much more.

One thing is that Patricia is a breath of fresh air during pressers compared to Caldwell. Caldwell always acted like he was being investigated and questioned for a homicide, Patricia gives very candid, detailed honest answers.  Hope it stays that way.
I like it too however there is a thin line to walk. I didn't like Stan Van Gundy's diarrhea of the mouth or Al Avila constantly showing his hand. It's an art form that some just don't ever get.

Yeah I’ve caught quite a few of his pressers @Da Guru & love watching him.

IDK what to make of the offseason. FA was total meh, glad we resigned Ziggy & even more happy they let Ebron walk, still scratching my head over the draft. We got way too many serviceable RBs & super thin at DL, gonna be hard to make a trade at this point to fix those two things. Love the new O-line coach but man have they looked like hot garbage.

Will be interesting to see how game flow evolves once they’re playing real games. Was maddening how predictable & conservative they were quarters 1-3, frustrating how good the offense could look when they took the wraps off. Would love to see Stafford running a lot of no-huddle but we’ll see if they go with that.

Conversely, the Pats D would often look pretty awful in a lot of first half’s the last few years. But it worked out because inevitably Brady would stay aggressive & teams would abandon the run game, at which point the defense schemes would shine. Given our personnel it’s kinda hard to see any kind of parallel to the 2018 Lions.

Both Austin & JBC never made in game adjustments. Said so in their pressers & we saw it week in and week out - the focus was on execution. Whereas philosophically, Patricia seems much more flexible. Defensive philosophies changes week to week based on the matchup. And in game changes are always on the table. We don’t have the versatile defensive players the Pats had but I could see them developing into a bend not break unit that does just enough to win. I think consensus is they’ll be awful but there’s some talent there. We’ll see.

I’m predicting a Super Bowl run, but that’s based solely on being a lot closer to the grave than when I became a fan in Lem Barney & Mel Farr’s rookie seasons.

I like it too however there is a thin line to walk. I didn't like Stan Van Gundy's diarrhea of the mouth or Al Avila constantly showing his hand. It's an art form that some just don't ever get.
There is a difference of giving good answers and just running the mouth.  Van Gundy is one of the worst I have ever heard.  Avila never had a mike in front of him before and just showed his inexperience  in dealing with the media.

The Detroit Lions look surprisingly good. 

They always under-perform when they are the favorites and over-perform when they are the forgottens.

Everyone is talking about every other team in the division.

Take it for what it is worth. That is all. 

Still waiting for a game that counts before I bury them before they play such a game.

Lose against the Jets week one and all bets are off.

IDK any Giants/Jets STH who use their preseason passes. It’s 97 today for anyone going to the Pats games. When my kids were younger I made the mistake of taking comp tickets to MetLife. The second time I thought that first roaster was an aberration. I’m a slow learner.

Though of course FF is always a comfortable 70-72, so NBD. Forward Down the Field

Stunned they cut Zettel. He was no star but he seemed like a solid rotational guy- PFF gave him a top 20 run defense grade for DEs. 

Stunned they cut Zettel. He was no star but he seemed like a solid irrational guy- PFF gave him a top 20 run defense grade for DEs. 
I'm not really surprised. Hyder is on the return. Hyder plays some DT also and fits the combo 4-3/3-4 variety of fronts Patricia is using.  Zettel can only play 4-3 DE.

And in preseason game 4 they made Zettel start and play 45 snaps while they gave Hyder the night off with the starters.  That cemented Hyder >>> Zettel going forward.

I'm not really surprised. Hyder is on the return. Hyder plays some DT also and fits the combo 4-3/3-4 variety of fronts Patricia is using.  Zettel can only play 4-3 DE.

And in preseason game 4 they made Zettel start and play 45 snaps while they gave Hyder the night off with the starters.  That cemented Hyder >>> Zettel going forward.
I know Hyder was the starter but the Lions   have one of the worst front 7s in football, I’m surprised Zettel wasn’t kept as a back-up/rotational guy. I’ve yet to read anything on the guy we replaced him with that was positive. If nothing else, Zettel seemed like a solid rub defender on the edge.

LOL. Auto correct got me. Rotational guy. I’m really worried about this defense and team. I think Austin was a hell of a DC and I’m seeing us win 4-6 games this year without him.
Color me hopeful but I agree. I’m not reading too much into our slow preseason, we have a good secondary but our LBs and pass rush are a liability. We may see more blitzing than in years past with the defensive alignments we use. What I’d really like to see though is the offense come out aggressive and stay aggressive. 

2 polar opposite years under Caldwell- one year we start off fast and build a solid lead only to take our foot off the gas and the other team catches up in the 4th and Stafford has to come back. He’d get the lead with like 45 secs left and we’d somehow find a way to lose. Last year it was get down by a lot early and be in comeback mode all game. Let’s just start the game in comeback mode and n bet stop. 

I know Hyder was the starter but the Lions   have one of the worst front 7s in football, I’m surprised Zettel wasn’t kept as a back-up/rotational guy. I’ve yet to read anything on the guy we replaced him with that was positive. If nothing else, Zettel seemed like a solid rub defender on the edge.
Okwara was highly effective for the Giants in '16 (particularly in the preseason) when they ran a 4-3.  But they were deep at DL and he spent time at DT also. Last year they switched to a full-time 3-4 and he wasnt quite the same. But this year he seemed to have another good preseason as he had gotten more integrated, but he wasnt a good fit as an OLB in the 3-4. 

I like the move, and Im a big IDP goof. But this is more about the NFL then any stat consideration.

Okwara was highly effective for the Giants in '16 (particularly in the preseason) when they ran a 4-3.  But they were deep at DL and he spent time at DT also. Last year they switched to a full-time 3-4 and he wasnt quite the same. But this year he seemed to have another good preseason as he had gotten more integrated, but he wasnt a good fit as an OLB in the 3-4. 

I like the move, and Im a big IDP goof. But this is more about the NFL then any stat consideration.
He was good in preseason two years ago? You aren’t making me feel much better about this lol.

He was good in preseason two years ago? You aren’t making me feel much better about this lol.
He was stuck behind JPP and Vernon as a rookie then.  And then they switched to a 3-4 last year. 

Would have rather had him sitting behind Hyder than Zettel last year, myself.  :shrug:  

I don't think there are any of us that would be surprised if we lost to NYJ, is there?  I'm having bad dreams of us making Darnold look like Aaron Rodgers, like we have with so many other average qbs with all kinds of time to throw.  And we can't stop the run either.  Stafford will have to win games by himself again.  :sadbanana:   

I hope I'm wrong

I don't think there are any of us that would be surprised if we lost to NYJ, is there?  I'm having bad dreams of us making Darnold look like Aaron Rodgers, like we have with so many other average qbs with all kinds of time to throw.  And we can't stop the run either.  Stafford will have to win games by himself again.  :sadbanana:   

I hope I'm wrong
God I hope not but the last time we played a rookie 1st round QB in week one it was Matt Ryan. He killed us and I’m pretty sure we went 0-16.

Users who are viewing this thread