Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Da Guru

DETROIT LIONS 2020: Looking at schedule..Predictions?

Recommended Posts

So was thinking Lions may have trouble hiring quality assistants due to the "playoff contender" mandate delivered by Martha. If team fails next year the whole ship goes down.

Of course playoff contender to the Fords may mean 7-9 or 8-8, if team is in contention as late as the last 4 games of the season.

It will be interesting to see who is hired and the length of their contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Moonlight said:

So was thinking Lions may have trouble hiring quality assistants due to the "playoff contender" mandate delivered by Martha. If team fails next year the whole ship goes down.

Of course playoff contender to the Fords may mean 7-9 or 8-8, if team is in contention as late as the last 4 games of the season.

It will be interesting to see who is hired and the length of their contract. 

Good point. I also wonder if Patricia does the thing where he doesn't hire assistants with previous head-coaching experience in order to make it less likely he will be fired mid-season. Although I suppose Bevel has been around long enough that he would probably get the gig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Foosball God said:

So when do we sign Brady?

The Lions had 6 chances to get him in 2000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rams fire Wade Phillips. His rumored replacement? Joe Barry.

On behalf of Lions fans everywhere, may I be the first to say 

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tua declaring for the draft is good news for the Lions. Time to trade down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Phillips, if I were the Lions I would try to hire him. Next season is make-or-break for both Patricia and Quinn, and the one thing Phillips is known for is executing quick turnarounds. But I sense that Patricia is too much of a control freak to hire a big name who would get all the credit if the D did improve. Hope I'm wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The problem isnt the coaching or the players.

Its the curse the Ford family have on this team. Until the team is out of the Fords hands, it will never compete for anything.

The way they stole money from the city is reason enough to curse them. The bailouts they get in their car biz.

This family is so used to having things just given to them they have no idea what its like to work for anything and it shows in their franchise with the passion the team has from the top down. Look, Martha inherited the team from her Husband who both got their inheritance from their parents.

What have they worked for? And honestly, its all connected. Once the culture changes, things will change, the Fords must go for that to happen. They are the bad culture and they are a curse. 

This franchise forced Calvin and Barry to just quit because of the front office. Need I say more? 

Edited by tackle for loss
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Speaking of Phillips, if I were the Lions I would try to hire him. Next season is make-or-break for both Patricia and Quinn, and the one thing Phillips is known for is executing quick turnarounds. But I sense that Patricia is too much of a control freak to hire a big name who would get all the credit if the D did improve. Hope I'm wrong.

Wade Phillips would be a great hire.  But as you said, it's too much to expect from the Lions.  Gotta give that 3 win HC full control, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zftcg said:

Rams fire Wade Phillips. His rumored replacement? Joe Barry.

On behalf of Lions fans everywhere, may I be the first to say 

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Wade Phillips would be a great hire based on past performance. If Lions draft a slew of defensive players to go with him, I would have some hope for next year with a healthy Stafford.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zftcg said:

Rams fire Wade Phillips. His rumored replacement? Joe Barry.

On behalf of Lions fans everywhere, may I be the first to say 

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I thought he was the coach who went to Wendy's drive thru naked but had the wrong Joe(Cullen).

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

I thought he was the coach who went to Wendy's drive thru naked but had the wrong Joe(Cullen).

Yes, that guy brought his own version of the $5 Biggie Bag.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

I thought he was the coach who went to Wendy's drive thru naked but had the wrong Joe(Cullen).

I don't know, being the DC of the first-ever 0-16 team seems like it might be more embarrassing.

  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zftcg said:

Rams fire Wade Phillips. His rumored replacement? Joe Barry.

On behalf of Lions fans everywhere, may I be the first to say 

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

why would the Rams do that? they let Suh walk....cost em

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Moonlight said:

So was thinking Lions may have trouble hiring quality assistants due to the "playoff contender" mandate delivered by Martha. If team fails next year the whole ship goes down.

Of course playoff contender to the Fords may mean 7-9 or 8-8, if team is in contention as late as the last 4 games of the season.

It will be interesting to see who is hired and the length of their contract. 

meaty matty patty should  be patitioning the league to move the lions to the nfc east where having 4 or 5 wins is playoff contention take that to the bank bromigos 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whoknew said:

Tua declaring for the draft is good news for the Lions. Time to trade down.

well people could get antsy and trade with the Redskins for Tua, maybe rivera doesn't like Haskins? and wants Tua? or they take chase young? Or Young slides to Lions?

Tua could also be damaged goods

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

well people could get antsy and trade with the Redskins for Tua, maybe rivera doesn't like Haskins? and wants Tua? or they take chase young? Or Young slides to Lions?

Tua could also be damaged goods

 

If people trade up to 2 to get Tua - that's great too. We just take Chase Young.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, whoknew said:

If people trade up to 2 to get Tua - that's great too. We just take Chase Young.

 

quinn and matty probably think chase doesnt fit the system....i count on them to mess it up

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

quinn and matty probably think chase doesnt fit the system....i count on them to mess it up

Nah, they'll follow the patented Lions move of drafting him, wasting his talent for years, and leaving him so frustrated that he retires early just to get away from the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports are that if Matt Rhule gets the Giants job, he'll bring in Lions QB coach Sean Ryan as his OC. I'll confess that I know nothing about Ryan. Would that be a big loss?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zftcg said:

Reports are that if Matt Rhule gets the Giants job, he'll bring in Lions QB coach Sean Ryan as his OC. I'll confess that I know nothing about Ryan. Would that be a big loss?

I don`t think anyone would be considered a big loss.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zftcg said:

Reports are that if Matt Rhule gets the Giants job, he'll bring in Lions QB coach Sean Ryan as his OC. I'll confess that I know nothing about Ryan. Would that be a big loss?

rhule got the panthers job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

rhule got the panthers job

Yeah saw that, though I wouldn't imagine it would alter his OC plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zftcg said:

Yeah saw that, though I wouldn't imagine it would alter his OC plans.

And indeed, it didn't:

Quote

New Panthers coach Matt Rhule is intends to hire Lions QBs coach Sean Ryan as the Panthers OC, according to SNY's Ralph Vacchiano.

Rhule has power in choosing his own coaching staff after receiving a huge contract from Panthers owner Dave Tepper, and Ryan is at the top of his list. Ryan and Rhule have experience working together, and Ryan has since elevated Matthew Stafford to career-high efficiency levels. It would be an intriguing hire for Carolina regardless of who the quarterback is. Expect Rhule to fill out his coaching staff over the next week.

RELATED: 

Carolina Panthers

SOURCE: SNY.TV

Jan 7, 2020, 2:45 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 2:54 PM, zftcg said:

Rams fire Wade Phillips. His rumored replacement? Joe Barry.

On behalf of Lions fans everywhere, may I be the first to say 

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sometimes I think NFL stands for Nepotism Favoritism League, at least in the coaching ranks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TwinTurbo said:

Sometimes I think NFL stands for Nepotism Favoritism League, at least in the coaching ranks. 

For sure but I somewhat understand.  When your job depends on your assistants they want to hire someone they know and trust. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Matt Rhule IMO he's the type of coach the Lions should have wanted to take a chance on. He rebuilt a perennial doghouse Temple into a champion and then built up the Baylor program.

When you decide to retain Quinn/Patricia you lose the chance to hire someone else who is out there who may be excellent coach and turn the Lions around.

I mentioned P.J. Fleck earlier as a coach the Lions should be interested in. He made Western Michigan successful and had a Cotton Bowl appearance. This year he turned Minnesota into a team to be reckoned with defeating Auburn in their bowl game.

For better or for worse I favor the idea of bringing in some one who has shown they can turn losing programs around. The Lions need someone with a strong personality who can sell that the future doesn't need to be the past.

Also Rivera was available and he has had success in the NFL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moonlight said:

Speaking of Matt Rhule IMO he's the type of coach the Lions should have wanted to take a chance on. He rebuilt a perennial doghouse Temple into a champion and then built up the Baylor program.

When you decide to retain Quinn/Patricia you lose the chance to hire someone else who is out there who may be excellent coach and turn the Lions around.

I mentioned P.J. Fleck earlier as a coach the Lions should be interested in. He made Western Michigan successful and had a Cotton Bowl appearance. This year he turned Minnesota into a team to be reckoned with defeating Auburn in their bowl game.

For better or for worse I favor the idea of bringing in some one who has shown they can turn losing programs around. The Lions need someone with a strong personality who can sell that the future doesn't need to be the past.

Also Rivera was available and he has had success in the NFL.

 

I'll agree on Rivera, as he has the NFL experience.  College guys can be a stretch sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I'll agree on Rivera, as he has the NFL experience.  College guys can be a stretch sometimes.

That's right you do not know if the college guys will translate. One thing for Fleck is he has NFL player experience.

On the other hand a lot of NFL coaches get retread into new positions when taking a chance on something new may be the better option.

McDaniels for example. He is a candidate for the Browns job.

But you know Marvin Lewis is still out there and he consistently won despite of the ownership dysfunction.

 

Edited by Moonlight
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

For sure but I somewhat understand.  When your job depends on your assistants they want to hire someone they know and trust. 

yeah but the league just continues to reward mediocrity from coaches who only got that first chance because of a family connection. 

It's one thing to want to work with people you know and trust. It's another thing for those people to continue to get repeated chances after failing miserably the first and second and third time. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One potential piece of good news for the Lions from this offseason: With only the Cleveland vacancy remaining to be filled, there will be some good coaching candidates (Bienemy, Roman) left without a partner when the music stops. Considering that there's a very good chance Patricia doesn't make it to the end of next season, Detroit may have a head start in hiring one of them.

OK, maybe that's not "good" so much as "I'll take it".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, TwinTurbo said:

yeah but the league just continues to reward mediocrity from coaches who only got that first chance because of a family connection. 

It's one thing to want to work with people you know and trust. It's another thing for those people to continue to get repeated chances after failing miserably the first and second and third time. 

Serious question: Have there been any blatant nepotism hires where the guy was clearly incompetent? I can think of lots of guys who probably benefited from family connections (Kyle Shananan, McVay, Rex Ryan) but those guys have all done pretty well on their own. Even someone like Jay Gruden, who was a mediocre HC, got the Washington job because he was solid as Cinci OC (ie, not a job he got from his brother). I read something once about how Mike Shanahan refused to hire Kyle on his staff until he had produced a Top 10 offense on his own, which he did at Houston. It was only at that point that he brought him to Washington.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still generally opposed to nepotism in all forms, and you make a key point above with the phrase "first chance". How many guys who might have been talented coaches never made it through the door because they didn't have a dad or a brother willing to open it for them? (Even in that Shanahan anecdote I related above, Kyle's first OC job was under Kubiak, who had played and coached under Mike.) Still, I'm having trouble thinking of any cases where a mediocre coach got a job solely, or even mostly, because of nepotism. Or to put it another way, you could wave a wand and make all nepotism disappear tomorrow and there would still be lots of mediocre retreads being hired.

Edited by zftcg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Moonlight said:

Speaking of Matt Rhule IMO he's the type of coach the Lions should have wanted to take a chance on. He rebuilt a perennial doghouse Temple into a champion and then built up the Baylor program.

When you decide to retain Quinn/Patricia you lose the chance to hire someone else who is out there who may be excellent coach and turn the Lions around.

I mentioned P.J. Fleck earlier as a coach the Lions should be interested in. He made Western Michigan successful and had a Cotton Bowl appearance. This year he turned Minnesota into a team to be reckoned with defeating Auburn in their bowl game.

For better or for worse I favor the idea of bringing in some one who has shown they can turn losing programs around. The Lions need someone with a strong personality who can sell that the future doesn't need to be the past.

Also Rivera was available and he has had success in the NFL.

 

Why would a college coach like Rhule even consider a spot like Detroit?

Cush decades long secure multi-million dollar gig versus a 2-3 year long suicide.  

Edited by matuski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, TwinTurbo said:

yeah but the league just continues to reward mediocrity from coaches who only got that first chance because of a family connection. 

 

Sort of like Quinn hiring Patricia and Patricia hiring his buddy as DC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moonlight said:

Speaking of Matt Rhule IMO he's the type of coach the Lions should have wanted to take a chance on. He rebuilt a perennial doghouse Temple into a champion and then built up the Baylor program.

When you decide to retain Quinn/Patricia you lose the chance to hire someone else who is out there who may be excellent coach and turn the Lions around.

I mentioned P.J. Fleck earlier as a coach the Lions should be interested in. He made Western Michigan successful and had a Cotton Bowl appearance. This year he turned Minnesota into a team to be reckoned with defeating Auburn in their bowl game.

For better or for worse I favor the idea of bringing in some one who has shown they can turn losing programs around. The Lions need someone with a strong personality who can sell that the future doesn't need to be the past.

Also Rivera was available and he has had success in the NFL.

 

Fleck would be incredible....at least would spark some excitement. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, matuski said:

Why would a college coach like Rhule even consider a spot like Detroit?

Cush decades long secure multi-million dollar gig versus a 2-3 year long suicide.  

College coach's do get burned out by the year round recruiting now.  It does get tiresome begging 16-17-18 year old kids to please attend your school and play football for you.

Edited by Da Guru
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

College coach's do get burned out by the year round recruiting now.  It does get tiresome begging 16-17-18 year old kids to please attend your school and play football for you.

Plus these guys are all hyper-competitive, and they want to prove they can succeed at the highest level. I doubt Saban ever goes back to the NFL, but if he does that will be the reason.

Now as to why you would leave college to take a job with the Lions, well yeah, that would be more of a head scratcher. :bag:

Edited by zftcg
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

College coach's do get burned out by the year round recruiting now.  It does get tiresome begging 16-17-18 year old kids to please attend your school and play football for you.

Right, but if you are this guy you aren't going to Detroit/Cleveland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Plus these guys are all hyper-competitive, and they want to prove they can succeed at the highest level. I doubt Saban ever goes back to the NFL, but if he does that will be the reason.

Now as to why you would leave college to take a job with the Lions, well yeah, that would be more of a head scratcher. :bag:

Well there would be low expectations and after Quinntricia if you go 8-8 everybody is giddy.  Plus the Fords are probably the least demanding owners of their HC in the NFL.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, matuski said:

Right, but if you are this guy you aren't going to Detroit/Cleveland.

All these guys believe they can turn it around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Da Guru said:

All these guys believe they can turn it around.

I'm not sure I buy this.  There is a reason Detroit has never attracted a top caliber guy.

Would Mooch be the highest profile get?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, matuski said:

I'm not sure I buy this.  There is a reason Detroit has never attracted a top caliber guy.

Would Mooch be the highest profile get?

Mooch was highly regarded at the time but never coached again after.  Bobby Ross came in highly regarded and quit.   Plus it seems every time there has been good coaches available the Lions are already committed to their HC. 

Now Quinntricia has expectations to make the playoffs or else.  Who will want to join a staff that will most likely be fired after next season?   Plus after next year Stafford will be going into his 13th season and has had broken bones in his back 2 years in a row.  I would not be surprised at all if Stafford retired before his deal is up.  Stafford has made more $$$$ that any NFL player as he came in under the old deal as the #1 pick, his wife has had a brain tumor, and he might just say screw it.  I want to be able to walk when I am 40.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Mooch was highly regarded at the time but never coached again after.  Bobby Ross came in highly regarded and quit.   Plus it seems every time there has been good coaches available the Lions are already committed to their HC. 

Now Quinntricia has expectations to make the playoffs or else.  Who will want to join a staff that will most likely be fired after next season?   Plus after next year Stafford will be going into his 13th season and has had broken bones in his back 2 years in a row.  I would not be surprised at all if Stafford retired before his deal is up.  Stafford has made more $$$$ that any NFL player as he came in under the old deal as the #1 pick, his wife has had a brain tumor, and he might just say screw it.  I want to be able to walk when I am 40.

This is why they should draft Tua

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, zftcg said:

Plus these guys are all hyper-competitive, and they want to prove they can succeed at the highest level. I doubt Saban ever goes back to the NFL, but if he does that will be the reason.

Just following up on this, Matt Rhule was asked this very question at his introductory press conference: https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1215008504643235841

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 4:40 PM, Leroy Hoard said:

Sort of like Quinn hiring Patricia and Patricia hiring his buddy as DC.

Yes and every coordinator that ever "coached" Tom Brady and Peyton Manning getting multiple chances to fail with lesser QBs. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Mooch was highly regarded at the time but never coached again after.  Bobby Ross came in highly regarded and quit.   Plus it seems every time there has been good coaches available the Lions are already committed to their HC. 

Now Quinntricia has expectations to make the playoffs or else.  Who will want to join a staff that will most likely be fired after next season?   Plus after next year Stafford will be going into his 13th season and has had broken bones in his back 2 years in a row.  I would not be surprised at all if Stafford retired before his deal is up.  Stafford has made more $$$$ that any NFL player as he came in under the old deal as the #1 pick, his wife has had a brain tumor, and he might just say screw it.  I want to be able to walk when I am 40.

I still can't believe how much Sam Bradford made over the years. But yeah at some point, you can walk away right into a cushy broadcasting job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 3:34 PM, Moonlight said:

Speaking of Matt Rhule IMO he's the type of coach the Lions should have wanted to take a chance on. He rebuilt a perennial doghouse Temple into a champion and then built up the Baylor program.

When you decide to retain Quinn/Patricia you lose the chance to hire someone else who is out there who may be excellent coach and turn the Lions around.

I mentioned P.J. Fleck earlier as a coach the Lions should be interested in. He made Western Michigan successful and had a Cotton Bowl appearance. This year he turned Minnesota into a team to be reckoned with defeating Auburn in their bowl game.

For better or for worse I favor the idea of bringing in some one who has shown they can turn losing programs around. The Lions need someone with a strong personality who can sell that the future doesn't need to be the past.

Also Rivera was available and he has had success in the NFL.

 

I'm a WMU alumni so I'm about as big a Fleck fan as there is, but imo he would not be a good NFL coach.  His approach is great for the college game but I don't think it would go over as well with paid professionals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The Captain said:

This is why they should draft Tua

I'm actually on board with this assuming medicals come back OK, but it's a risky move and the defense needs a ton of help.  I guess I just hate the idea of taking a CB at #3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lions need to either draft Tua at 3 or convince the rest of the league they are going to take him there to maximize trade offers. If  healthy, taking Tua would be a no-brainer for the long term outlook of the team but with Quinn having to "win now" to keep his job probably not something he will do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raging weasel said:

The Lions need to either draft Tua at 3 or convince the rest of the league they are going to take him there to maximize trade offers. If  healthy, taking Tua would be a no-brainer for the long term outlook of the team but with Quinn having to "win now" to keep his job probably not something he will do.

That's the problem if Martha is serious about Q & P being on the hot seat. I think they draft what they consider the BPA that can help them now at #3 as well as #35.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.