Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Da Guru

DETROIT LIONS 2020: Looking at schedule..Predictions?

37 minutes ago, The Captain said:

This I can somewhat agree with. Will the Lions use him effectively? I don’t know. But it think we will be looking for a QB in a couple years no matter what so why not take him now. 

Take a good passer then.

We would have our pick of anyone aside from Burrow.. why take the one both hurt and with the most question marks?

15 hours ago, matuski said:

Please no.

Marcus Mariota 2.0. 

Bust.

I'm leaning in that direction as well.

3 hours ago, The Captain said:

This I can somewhat agree with. Will the Lions use him effectively? I don’t know. But it think we will be looking for a QB in a couple years no matter what so why not take him now. 

Maybe I am in the wrong still thinking Stafford is not the problem. If I knew Stafford was going to be healthy for the next five years I would want to stay course and strengthen other areas. That is the biggest question for me. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

Maybe I am in the wrong still thinking Stafford is not the problem. If I knew Stafford was going to be healthy for the next five years I would want to stay course and strengthen other areas. That is the biggest question for me. 

I think this all decides on the 2020 season. Lions suck/and or Stafford gets injured again they move on in 2021 with a new QB that the new regime chooses themselves.  They show improvement/he stays healthy they stay the course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King of the Jungle said:

With Martha's mandate, the Lions drafting a QB early is a long shot. I see lots of defensive players in our future and a RB along the way.

3 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Mariota has actually won  a playoff game. 

Are you trying to say you'd rather have Mariota than Stafford?

I don't follow this argument at all.

• Like 1

Just now, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

just a statement

alrighty?

• Laughing 1

True, lions should just get rid of all those losers and go the way of the tigers and wings. Just look how awesome they are doing.

Hard to believe this will be Stafford's 12th NFL season. Stafford has 1 playoff win correct?

34 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Hard to believe this will be Stafford's 12th NFL season. Stafford has 1 playoff win correct?

The team has 1 in the last 63 years.  Barry Sanders has 1.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Summer Wheat said:

Zero wins even with Megatron. 

I think Stafford is a fine QB, but if you can't get a playoff win at least once in your prime with one of the greatest WR of all time, then it's not happening now either. Even Jay Cutler managed to win 1 playoff game. And that's my comp for Stafford. He's a slightly better version of Jay Cutler. You could do a lot worse than either of these guys at QB, but they both ended up in the same division where they were not the best QB and did not play for the best team. And that usually means no playoffs or a wild card game at best against a better team. 

Edited by TwinTurbo

22 hours ago, TwinTurbo said:

I think Stafford is a fine QB, but if you can't get a playoff win at least once in your prime with one of the greatest WR of all time, then it's not happening now either. Even Jay Cutler managed to win 1 playoff game. And that's my comp for Stafford. He's a slightly better version of Jay Cutler. You could do a lot worse than either of these guys at QB, but they both ended up in the same division where they were not the best QB and did not play for the best team. And that usually means no playoffs or a wild card game at best against a better team. 

That’s a down right pathetic effort by an organization. To have a good qb for that long and not surround him with any sort of competent team in over a decade, wow. 

• Like 1

Imagine Stafford with a great coach and defense. He’d have been thought of much differently I would think. 

• Like 3

On 2/1/2020 at 2:57 PM, TwinTurbo said:

Everytime people try to argue against Stafford, they always seem to better yet make the argument against the franchise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, matuski said:

Everytime people try to argue against Stafford, they always seem to better yet make the argument against the franchise.

Bingo.

5 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Bingo.

It isn't that Barry or Calvin or Stafford are slighted because they didn't win.

The LIONS are slighted for not being able to win with these players.

• Like 1

Article popped up on my google news feed this AM about how the Lions have the worst winning % over the last 50 years.

To catch the Steelers (#1) - the Lions would have to go undefeated for 10 straight seasons and the Steelers would have to go winless for 10 straight seasons.  :lmao:

• Laughing 2
  • Sad 1

On 1/30/2020 at 3:52 PM, Leroy Hoard said:

You can even include BB himself along with all those assistants.

No rings until the #199 pick replaced the #1 pick.

Imagine for a moment:  in the 2000 draft 6th round, instead of picking Quinton Reece (DE - Auburn), the Lions instead draft local college QB Tom Brady.  Does anyone truly believe that Tom Brady would have developed into the GOAT if that would've happened? 

Look how many QBs the Lions have drafted since 1980, many of them Heisman Trophy winners or finalists.  Yet, they all sucked.  Not only would Tom Brady not have become the GOAT, I wonder if he'd ever have become a competent starter.  He wouldn't have had BB to develop successful game plans nor a good coaching staff to recognize and maximize his talents.

This isn't a knock on Brady, it is just a statement about how truly terrible this organization is and has been for the past 60 years.

• Like 2

At Arrowhead this year Lions with Stafford lost to KC 34-30. Lions were leading late in the 4th quarter and KC scored a TD with 20 seconds to go.

Without Stafford the Lions didn't win a single game.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tornacl said:

Imagine for a moment:  in the 2000 draft 6th round, instead of picking Quinton Reece (DE - Auburn), the Lions instead draft local college QB Tom Brady.  Does anyone truly believe that Tom Brady would have developed into the GOAT if that would've happened? 

Look how many QBs the Lions have drafted since 1980, many of them Heisman Trophy winners or finalists.  Yet, they all sucked.  Not only would Tom Brady not have become the GOAT, I wonder if he'd ever have become a competent starter.  He wouldn't have had BB to develop successful game plans nor a good coaching staff to recognize and maximize his talents.

This isn't a knock on Brady, it is just a statement about how truly terrible this organization is and has been for the past 60 years.

I said the same thing about Emmitt smith.  If the Lions had Smith and the Cowboys had Sanders, Sanders would have been the NFL career rushing leader and people would be saying Emmitt who??

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tornacl said:

Also, would he have gotten the chance to even play? The Patriots didn't know what they had until their QB got hurt. There's a not too unrealistic possibility that if Bledsoe doesn't get hurt, he starts for the Pats for another 4-5 years and Brady winds up labeled as a career back-up journey man or maybe even washes out of the league.

The question isn't about how good Stafford is right now, this team isn't winning right now.  How long is Stafford going to play is the question.  He's battling through back surgery, his wife is a cancer survivor.  At what point is he going to hang them up.  How many more top 3 picks are they going to get?  Agree the smart choice is to trade out if they can, but taking a QB shouldn't be overlooked if the offers they get are not good enough.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

The question isn't about how good Stafford is right now, this team isn't winning right now.  How long is Stafford going to play is the question.  He's battling through back surgery, his wife is a cancer survivor.  At what point is he going to hang them up.  How many more top 3 picks are they going to get?  Agree the smart choice is to trade out if they can, but taking a QB shouldn't be overlooked if the offers they get are not good enough.

Obviously the back is a wildcard. We don't know what the doctors are saying. If we assume they give him a clean bill of health, he most likely has 4-6 years left. It seems like around age 36-38 is when we are seeing most of these franchise QBs decline. In the NFL that is an eternity given quickly teams can swing from bad to good (and vice versa). 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Who would rather trade?

Slay or Stafford?

Or both? 

If Stafford is healthy than I would rather trade Slay. I don’t think we will truly appreciate Stafford until he is gone. I wonder how long it will take to find another decent QB for this organization...

1 hour ago, BobbyLayne said:

Who would rather trade?

Slay or Stafford?

Or both? 

I think they are too many players away to win this year or next so I would trade them both. 

Knowing they won’t move Stafford I hope they keep Slay, trade back and pray they hit on the picks. 

ETA - I believe in Stafford and like him a lot so it’s not that I want him to go. But I wouldn’t mind seeing what he could do in a winning organization. 

Edited by The Captain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, King of the Jungle said:

If Stafford is healthy than I would rather trade Slay. I don’t think we will truly appreciate Stafford until he is gone. I wonder how long it will take to find another decent QB for this organization...

If they draft Tua start the clock at 5 years.

9 hours ago, matuski said:

If they draft Tua start the clock at 5 years.

If they draft Tua that means they’re Alex Smith-ing Stafford

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, zftcg said:

If they draft Tua that means they’re Alex Smith-ing Stafford

Yep, and then 4 years of a bust QB.

13 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

whats the difference? been on a 60 plus year clock

The question was when would the franchise find another good QB.  Just answering.

14 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

whats the difference? been on a 60 plus year clock

Honestly the best difference would be possibly allowing me to break free from this team.  :lol:

Players have always kept me around as a fan... if they dump them all maybe I can escape.

2 hours ago, Foosball God said:

Slay should be traded.

For what cost though? No reason to just give him away for crumbs. 

As far as what actually happens, Slay will be the one to go. Stafford has always said the right things and Slay has not. That's how decisions are made in Lionsland.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leroy Hoard said:

As far as what actually happens, Slay will be the one to go. Stafford has always said the right things and Slay has not. That's how decisions are made in Lionsland.

And Slay is 29 on the last year of his deal. He's been fantastic for Detroit but CBs can fall off pretty quickly after 30. 

• Like 1

I was messing around with the TheDraftNetwork Mock Drafter Machine and if Detroit could get 5, 26 and 70 from Miami, it could look something like this:

S/OLB Isaiah Simmons- Lions base defense uses 3 safeties and Simmons is the ideal 3rd safety to play near the line of scrimmage. He can pass rush, go sideline to sideline against the run and cover RBs/TEs on pass routes. 

WR Jalen Reagor- Marvin Jones is likely in his last year with Detroit and Amendola isn't long for the league. Reagor instantly brings field stretching speed which matches up well with Stafford's strengths. I think he could do damage with YAC and seam routes in the slot as a rookie and then replace Marvin as an outside option in the future. 

CB Jeff Gladney - The TCU corner is lean but long with excellent man to man traits which fit well with Detroit's scheme. Also, while he needs to add weight, he isn't shy about making tackles. 

RB Cam Akers- Kerryon is skilled but seems fragile and if the GM wants a run oriented team then they can't make the same mistake they did last year of entering the season with Kerryon and fringe NFL backs. Akers gives the Lions a dynamic duo 

OG Ben Bredeson Detroit screwed up the Glasgow situation so they need someone with NFL size, athleticism and strength to potentially play this year. Bredeson has a ton experience at Michigan and for a Day 2 pick, should be able to contribute right away if needed. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

For what cost though? No reason to just give him away for crumbs. 

Crumbs no, but a reasonable offer should absolutely be taken.  He's not good enough for the contract he's going to want imo.  He has the most value this year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Before the draft, there is this thing called Free Agency. Props to Faust for the link.

#7-10 all look interesting.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-50-best-available-nfl-free-agents-in-2020

Have to be careful in FA. The high priced guys are often land mines. Chris Jones is a beast and would be a great addition. Chris Harris is really only good in the slot and is aging out of his prime now so I am not too sure about him since we targeted a slot CB last FA as well. I don't know enough about Byron's quality as a corner but he's a better age for 3-4 year investment than Slay. With Harris, it has to be a reasonable cost since this was like his 5th or 6th year in the league and he just became a full time starter last year. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

Anything's possible but I'm very skeptical of Lions dealing Stafford.  If they're being smart, they're using the possibility of drafting a QB as leverage for a trade down.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tool said:

Anything's possible but I'm very skeptical of Lions dealing Stafford.  If they're being smart, they're using the possibility of drafting a QB as leverage for a trade down.

They won’t deal Stafford. The only question is if they are smart  enough to get max value for the pick. Assuming Washington is locked in on Chase this is their one opportunity to cash in and potentially change the fortunes of the franchise...assuming Quinn doesn’t waste the picks on the next Davis, or Tabor because he’s the smartest guy in the room. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Doesn't hurt that Stafford is a better player at a more important position as well. Slay has declined each of the last 2 years, and while injuries are somewhat to blame, he hasn't played like a top notch CB since 2017. 

I will say, if they do end up keeping the pick, Jeffery Okudah is an amazing CB prospect. I'd say only Jalen Ramsey has more talent in recent history. Okudah is like a more athletic Marshon Lattimore. 

2 hours ago, Tool said:

Had to laugh at that one.  As a life-long (suffering) Lions fan, seeing the Lions being smart is pretty much akin to spotting Big Foot.

Due to the financial ramifications, I don't think there is any possibility of the Lions trading Stafford.  I have to hope that they will use the pick to maximize value.  Would love to see them trade down once or twice back to six or seven (down to 5, then again to 6 or 7).  I'm not sure if it's better to pretend to be interested in taking Tua or making it known that they will trade the pick to the best offer.

14 hours ago, travdogg said:

Doesn't hurt that Stafford is a better player at a more important position as well. Slay has declined each of the last 2 years, and while injuries are somewhat to blame, he hasn't played like a top notch CB since 2017. 

I will say, if they do end up keeping the pick, Jeffery Okudah is an amazing CB prospect. I'd say only Jalen Ramsey has more talent in recent history. Okudah is like a more athletic Marshon Lattimore. 

I think he's a good prospect, I just think that #3 is too high to draft a CB.

4 hours ago, Foosball God said:

I think he's a good prospect, I just think that #3 is too high to draft a CB.

Hoping they can trade down and still get either the CB, LB, or IDL.

Teams tend to get qb crazy as the draft approaches.

• Like 2