Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Da Guru

DETROIT LIONS 2020: Looking at schedule..Predictions?

Recommended Posts

On 2/2/2020 at 2:47 PM, IHEARTFF said:

Imagine [insert player name] with a [average] coach and defense. He’d have been thought of much differently I would think. 

This is the history of the Lions under Ford ownership

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Hoping they can trade down and still get either the CB, LB, or IDL.

Teams tend to get qb crazy as the draft approaches.

I don't quiet remember a season with so many QB question marks, and team needing QBs......

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 6:55 PM, Tool said:

Anything's possible but I'm very skeptical of Lions dealing Stafford.  If they're being smart, they're using the possibility of drafting a QB as leverage for a trade down.

No way they trade Stafford. The GM and HC are in a must win now position. They don’t have time to draft a rookie QB and developing him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2020 at 11:29 AM, Foosball God said:

I think he's a good prospect, I just think that #3 is too high to draft a CB.

A lot of the pods and articles I read seem to think QB, OT, DE and CB are the 4 most important positions in the NFL. While I think CB is clearly 4th on that list, getting a Patrick Peterson type is incredibly valuable. After Chase, there’s no DE worth a top 10 pick. Lions don’t need CB and OT isn’t the most pressing need. 

It likely comes down to CB vs DT vs hybrid LB/S

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lions need to flip this pick into two firsts and a second/high third at a minimum. Even if one of the firsts is next year. Ideally they trade back with a team in the top ten and have a chance to take Okudah regardless. That's my best case scenario. It shouldn't be too difficult to pull off so I'm really going to be disappointed if they don't make something happen.

I wouldn't mind them taking Tua either. Let him sit under Stafford for a year then take the best offer for Stafford after the season.

The Lions aren't going to the Superbowl next year. It doesn't matter what Martha said. She had to say something like that to justify bringing back Patricia. If the Lions had half a brain they'd structure their team to create a competitive window starting in 2021.

Edited by Apple Juice
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Da Guru said:

Lions on a diet...cut Snacks.

I'm kind of surprised they cut him. When healthy, you can count the amount of better interior lineman on one hand. Probably was their best defensive player after Flowers.

Several teams should be trying to lock him up in the next week or so.

Between this, the Slay trade rumors, and the possibility of taking Tua, I'm starting to wonder if the Lions might just blow it up this offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, travdogg said:

I'm kind of surprised they cut him. When healthy, you can count the amount of better interior lineman on one hand. Probably was their best defensive player after Flowers.

Several teams should be trying to lock him up in the next week or so.

Between this, the Slay trade rumors, and the possibility of taking Tua, I'm starting to wonder if the Lions might just blow it up this offseason.

Problem is they have been rebuilding since day one of the franchise. For a GM and Coach who “should” be on the hot seat this is a strange move. They just extended him (got rid of Diggs shortly after an extension as well) and now he is gone. They sure don’t seem like they have a direction or plan and just come off as blatantly incompetent. At this point I am no longer surprised and just expect the worst. This team has so many freaking holes...and once Slay is gone there will be another giant one to fill. Amazing how one of the least competitive teams in the league all of a sudden looks a lot worse. Every year my interest in the NFL gets lower....looking forward to the day that I no longer follow this joke of a team any longer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King of the Jungle said:

Problem is they have been rebuilding since day one of the franchise. For a GM and Coach who “should” be on the hot seat this is a strange move. They just extended him (got rid of Diggs shortly after an extension as well) and now he is gone. They sure don’t seem like they have a direction or plan and just come off as blatantly incompetent. At this point I am no longer surprised and just expect the worst. This team has so many freaking holes...and once Slay is gone there will be another giant one to fill. Amazing how one of the least competitive teams in the league all of a sudden looks a lot worse. Every year my interest in the NFL gets lower....looking forward to the day that I no longer follow this joke of a team any longer.

I'm normally on the optimistic side of things but Patricia/Quinn have been nothing short of a disaster and it seems to be getting worse. Really wish a new GM and coach had this premium pick to start over. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King of the Jungle said:

Problem is they have been rebuilding since day one of the franchise. For a GM and Coach who “should” be on the hot seat this is a strange move. They just extended him (got rid of Diggs shortly after an extension as well) and now he is gone. They sure don’t seem like they have a direction or plan and just come off as blatantly incompetent. At this point I am no longer surprised and just expect the worst. This team has so many freaking holes...and once Slay is gone there will be another giant one to fill. Amazing how one of the least competitive teams in the league all of a sudden looks a lot worse. Every year my interest in the NFL gets lower....looking forward to the day that I no longer follow this joke of a team any longer.

Its weird that Patricia has been by any measure a downgrade from Caldwell, and yet his leash only seems to get longer. 

I guess maybe he can play the, "had KC and GB beat, and lost on fluky plays" card. But yeah, between weird trades, weird FA moves, and mostly poor drafting, the Lions don't have much optimism for the present or the future, even with a pretty good QB.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll wait for what they do in FA & draft, but what you guys are saying is probably correct, if only by history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, travdogg said:

I'm kind of surprised they cut him. When healthy, you can count the amount of better interior lineman on one hand. Probably was their best defensive player after Flowers.

Several teams should be trying to lock him up in the next week or so.

Between this, the Slay trade rumors, and the possibility of taking Tua, I'm starting to wonder if the Lions might just blow it up this offseason.

It has been a tumultuous offseason already. Martha's odd demand for the team to be a playoff contender, weird rumors about trading Stafford, Stafford's wife calling out Detroit and talking about moving, Slay rumors, Tua rumors, now this is out-of-nowhere cutting Snacks. It's hard to piece any of it together. They probably should blow it up, I just don't trust this staff or Quinn to rebuild it correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The entire organization is a #### show. This may be as bad as the Millen era. If there is a direction they are heading I can’t tell what it is. The number of holes they have to fill is beyond comprehension. I mean, outside of Golladay what does Quinn have to show for his picks? The only other guy is Glasgow and he’s on the way out. I’m certain they are completely lost and have no idea how to fix it. 

ETA - Forgot Ragnow. He shows promise

 

Edited by The Captain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given it a bit of thought, and while I'm too old too get emotional or care overly much about football players.... if they walk on Stafford and draft the next Mariota, it will be an easy call to walk on this team.

Go back to my childhood niners and experience a win here and there for a change.

eta - it has crossed my mind to allow myself to root for a home team (Dallas/Houston?)

Edited by matuski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cutting Snacks was obviously coming. He was absolutely terrible this year and was openly talking about retiring. The mistake was the extending him this summer which now means the Lions have about $5 in dead cap from it. This management is clueless. 

2018 they extend their young safety and the players choose him for a defensive captain, this year they trade him away for crumbs.

This summer they extend a 30 year old run stopping DT only to cut him 8 months later. 

They don’t extend a well rounded versatile OL in the beginning of his prime when he would have been affordable eve though he wanted to and now he’s likely to walk for a much larger deal. 

This has been been a folly of unforced errors.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Cutting Snacks was obviously coming. He was absolutely terrible this year and was openly talking about retiring. The mistake was the extending him this summer which now means the Lions have about $5 in dead cap from it. This management is clueless. 

2018 they extend their young safety and the players choose him for a defensive captain, this year they trade him away for crumbs.

This summer they extend a 30 year old run stopping DT only to cut him 8 months later. 

They don’t extend a well rounded versatile OL in the beginning of his prime when he would have been affordable eve though he wanted to and now he’s likely to walk for a much larger deal. 

This has been been a folly of unforced errors.

The Diggs trade is when they completely lost me. Quinn and our defensive “mastermind” of a head coach need to go immediately. Fans need to stop going to the games. It is an absolute joke. I hope they draft a TE at 3 to seal their fate so I can at least have the glimmer of hope from a new shiny group of inadequate leaders. My bitterness with this organization is at its peak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 12:40 PM, travdogg said:

 

Between this, the Slay trade rumors, and the possibility of taking Tua, I'm starting to wonder if the Lions might just blow it up this offseason.

this is what they should do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 6:22 PM, Leroy Hoard said:

I'll wait for what they do in FA & draft, but what you guys are saying is probably correct, if only by history.

Just to clarify, I find it interesting that old mother ford firestone throws what seems to be a win now ultimatum out just before what currently looks like a teardown. They really can't be that clueless that we aren't paying attention to any of that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Just to clarify, I find it interesting that old mother ford firestone throws what seems to be a win now ultimatum out just before what currently looks like a teardown. They really can't be that clueless that we aren't paying attention to any of that? 

This is a concern of mine. If they are committed to rebuilding I do not know why Patricia and Quinn are still in the building. Worst case scenario is giving them three more years for a “rebuild” opportunity. Quinn needs to crush the upcoming draft. Patricia needs to delegate more responsibility to people who are more talented than he is.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Just to clarify, I find it interesting that old mother ford firestone throws what seems to be a win now ultimatum out just before what currently looks like a teardown. They really can't be that clueless that we aren't paying attention to any of that? 

Honestly, I don't think they're trying to "pull the wool over the eyes" of their fans.  I really think they truly are THAT clueless.  They really have no idea what needs to be done, therefore they haven't a clue as to who would be best able to do it.

And lest be honest, she issued the "ultimatum" that they be "playoff contenders."  How do you read that?  I read that to mean she expects them to contend with making the playoffs, not with winning the Superbowl.  None of the Fords will ever expect them to win a Superbowl, they're perfectly fine with ONE playoff victory in the 60 years they've owned the team.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lions resign 35 year old slot receiver Danny Amendola to a 5.5 million dollar deal!!! :pickle:

Danny must feel like he won the lotto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reported most of Amendola's money guaranteed.

PFF said that the Lions OL graded out as 10th in rushing performance but got poor support from the RBs.

Also PFF predicted that Lions would sign Melvin Gordon in the offseason and their former LB Van Nooy in FA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2020 at 4:04 PM, Da Guru said:

Lions resign 35 year old slot receiver Danny Amendola to a 5.5 million dollar deal!!! :pickle:

Danny must feel like he won the lotto.

Probably this regimes biggest offseason priority. Goodness gracious. Quintrician: "Alright, the offense is set"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Moonlight said:

Reported most of Amendola's money guaranteed.

PFF said that the Lions OL graded out as 10th in rushing performance but got poor support from the RBs.

Also PFF predicted that Lions would sign Melvin Gordon in the offseason and their former LB Van Nooy in FA.

2 very classic SOL type moves.  Draft a guy in the 2nd round then trade him for peanuts when you can't figure out how to use him properly. Then after another team shows you how you should've been using him give him a big FA contract.  Paying top dollar for Gordon instead of drafting a player of similar talent in the 3rd/4th round and spending that money where you really need it is an even worse move.

Quinn probably needs to get at least 5 new starters from this draft/free agency season just to become an average team again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leroy Hoard said:

None of those geniuses wondered why Bernie would be a Lions fan?

Geography aside, wouldn't it kind of be appropriate if he were a Lions fan?

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Geography aside, wouldn't it kind of be appropriate if he were a Lions fan?

Green Bay Packers essentially have socialist ownership, I would expect he gravitates toward that.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tangfoot said:

Green Bay Packers essentially have socialist ownership, I would expect he gravitates toward that.

Good point. I was thinking more Lions : NFL playoffs :: Socialists : US elections

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rumors floating around the combine that Stafford wants to be traded.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a massive boner for Isaiah Simmons right now 

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I have a massive boner for Isaiah Simmons right now 

Wait until Okudah runs a 4.3 40, with a 3.9 shuttle, and a 41 inch vertical. 

That #3 pick looks ever more appealing now, and there seems to be a more and more likely chance that Chase Young could fall there, or someone would want to trade up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Wait until Okudah runs a 4.3 40, with a 3.9 shuttle, and a 41 inch vertical. 

That #3 pick looks ever more appealing now, and there seems to be a more and more likely chance that Chase Young could fall there, or someone would want to trade up.

Agreed, this 3 pick is a golden ticket that every team will want 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travdogg said:

Wait until Okudah runs a 4.3 40, with a 3.9 shuttle, and a 41 inch vertical. 

That #3 pick looks ever more appealing now, and there seems to be a more and more likely chance that Chase Young could fall there, or someone would want to trade up.

I honestly think Redskins will end up trading back with a QB needy team and Young will fall to us. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best options imo- also staffords contract is untradeable-

1.chase young.

2. Trade back- I think we all say this every year. I’d love to move to 1.05 w/ miami and pick up a late 1st and a 2nd next year or something like that, or better yet a bidding war:) We would still get a blue chip starter on defense at cb or linebacker....or trade back again (Oakland?) 

3. Take a qb and keep stafford- I struggle with the idea of picking a guy coming off an injury at pick 3. I also struggle with the idea of stafford making it through a whole season getting hit like last year. This solves both worries.

I don’t know what is going on here- are we rebuilding or what. I know if it were me at the helm I’d trade back and try to get a glut of picks to keep kicking into the future (like a lot of us probably do in dynasty- stockpile future assets.) Its the best way to manage the cap and add young players when the time comes. Martha wants to win now, seems like we aren’t that close without some luck in FA and the draft. 
 

I can’t root for another team- I tried, my heart isn’t there. So many options on the table yet I have no faith that they make the right decisions. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Pretty sure Stafford will play out the final 3 years of his contract here.  By that time he will be 34 and have 14 seasons as a Lion.  If nothing has changed then it is time to move on. Stafford is more than good enough to win but is Quinntricia good enough?

 

Also Kelly Stafford needs to stay off social media as she is the one who got the rumors started weeks ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Da Guru said:

Pretty sure Stafford will play out the final 3 years of his contract here.  By that time he will be 34 and have 14 seasons as a Lion.  If nothing has changed then it is time to move on. Stafford is more than good enough to win but is Quinntricia good enough?

 

Also Kelly Stafford needs to stay off social media as she is the one who got the rumors started weeks ago.

Yeah, for his sake, I hope he is able to go somewhere else in 3 years. As for the trade rumors, I hope that everyone is in on it and they are trying to create uncertainty to entice teams to trade up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2020 at 12:27 AM, Ilov80s said:

I have a massive boner for Isaiah Simmons right now 

Since he can play multiple positions and the Lions have a lot of holes to fill, it makes perfect sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Since he can play multiple positions and the Lions have a lot of holes to fill, it makes perfect sense.

Lions play 3 safeties normally, including one who is usually near the LOS which seems like a perfect role for him. However, Okudah is still probably the better pick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Lions play 3 safeties normally, including one who is usually near the LOS which seems like a perfect role for him. However, Okudah is still probably the better pick.

Depends on where we ultimately pick or if chase young falls to 3. Either Washington drafts tua or trades so someone else can, or they take young and we have the opportunity to move back because someone will ‘probably’ be willing to move up. If not then take tua. I mean if we only got Miami’s 2 2nds (and 1.05) this year I’d do that in a heartbeat. Maybe underselling, but id rather have those picks and still get a day 1 starter on defense.

We also should take 2 wrs in this draft with it being so deep. We can use 3-4 round picks and get 2nd rd value at that position. Jones and Amendola won’t be around forever. 
 

Free agency will answer a lot of questions- and with so many qbs in limbo it’s hard to predict what happens in those first 10 picks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The News mock has us trading the 3 for Miami's 5 , 39, and 70.  That would give us 5 picks in th top 70.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

The News mock has us trading the 3 for Miami's 5 , 39, and 70.  That would give us 5 picks in th top 70.

Hard to say it wouldn’t be a good move for us - take Okudah or Brown, grab a DT or CB dependant on who we took out of those two, take a WR, maybe even a guard ... getting a nice haul of 5 top 70 players could be a great injection of talent on to a roster that is far from the worst in the league 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Snorkelson said:

Depends on where we ultimately pick or if chase young falls to 3. Either Washington drafts tua or trades so someone else can, or they take young and we have the opportunity to move back because someone will ‘probably’ be willing to move up. If not then take tua. I mean if we only got Miami’s 2 2nds (and 1.05) this year I’d do that in a heartbeat. Maybe underselling, but id rather have those picks and still get a day 1 starter on defense.

We also should take 2 wrs in this draft with it being so deep. We can use 3-4 round picks and get 2nd rd value at that position. Jones and Amendola won’t be around forever. 
 

Free agency will answer a lot of questions- and with so many qbs in limbo it’s hard to predict what happens in those first 10 picks. 

I agree with everything you're saying. To me, the best way to cash in is to get more firsts and seconds. Considering we still have a QB, we have Flowers who kind of occupies the role Young would, and we have a TON of holes elsewhere, getting more picks makes the most sense for this team.

The next best option would be getting a special talent that doesn't come around very often, which Young or Tua are considered to be. If you get this rare opportunity to have this high of a pick with this kind of talent within reach, you simply have to take advantage of that.

My fear is that Quinn actually enjoys going against conventional wisdom. I think he's wired that way. He "learned" from Belichik to stick the middle finger up at everybody and do things according to your unknowable genius. I fear he won't bother trying to trade with anyone, stand pat at 3 and take a guy that could have been taken 5-10 picks later. Because of the "scheme."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 5:58 AM, Leroy Hoard said:
On 3/1/2020 at 12:27 AM, Ilov80s said:

I have a massive boner for Isaiah Simmons right now 

Since he can play multiple positions and the Lions have a lot of holes to fill, it makes perfect sense.

If you need to fill multiple holes, it definitely helps to have one of those ...

 

I meant a player like Simmons, not what @Ilov80s was referring to!

 

 

  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 6:02 PM, Apple Juice said:

 

The next best option would be getting a special talent that doesn't come around very often, which Young or Tua are considered to be. If you get this rare opportunity to have this high of a pick with this kind of talent within reach, you simply have to take advantage of that.

 

 

I wholeheartedly, vocally, staunchly 110% disagree that Tua could even touch this level of talent with a 10 foot pole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, matuski said:

I wholeheartedly, vocally, staunchly 110% disagree that Tua could even touch this level of talent with a 10 foot pole.

On the other hand since Young is going at 2 and the lions pick at 3, almost guarantees Chase will reach this level.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2020 at 4:13 PM, tangfoot said:

This is the history of the Lions under Ford ownership

I'm in 9 dynasty leagues and own zero players on the Lions.  It wasn't a plan, but it also wasn't an accident.  This organization has a lot to prove. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this would be at all possible but just did a Lions mock at draftnetwork and I’m in love 

1. Okudah CB OSU

2. Kenneth Murray LB OU

3. Jeremy Chinn S SO ILL

4. Ben Bresedon OG UM

5.Michael Pittman WR USC

6. Joshua Kelley RB UCLA 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.