What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (37 Viewers)

Vikings are relatively good against the pass and they shut down Stafford (sans Calvin) in the first matchup.
Sans Calvin, outdoors and on the road in the first matchup. I'm not buying that they will be nearly as good in this one. Teddy has improved and so has is WR core but the Lions make teams one dimensional and this passing game is not capable of making enough plays IMO. This won't be that close.

31-16 Lions.

Vikings are relatively good against the pass and they shut down Stafford (sans Calvin) in the first matchup.
Sans Calvin, outdoors and on the road in the first matchup. I'm not buying that they will be nearly as good in this one. Teddy has improved and so has is WR core but the Lions make teams one dimensional and this passing game is not capable of making enough plays IMO. This won't be that close.

31-16 Lions.
Hopefully Suh can play. He has missed the last two days of practice with the flu.

drfeelgood said:
Futz said:
BobbyLayne said:

31-16 Lions.
Hopefully Suh can play. He has missed the last two days of practice with the flu.
Meh...conditioning might be an issue which could limit his snaps but I fully expect him to play. CONTRACT YEAR :yes:

I was more worried about the Viking, but the Bears on the road is no give me. It is really a must win because it is gonna take 11 wins and we ain't winning at GB. If everything plays out that is only a 6th seed. Need some upset out west to make it the much better 5th seed.

A decent defense will shut down Detroit, that has been shown throughout the season. They just can't protect Stafford, and they are not doing a great job utilizing the talent they have on offense. The defense will keep them in most games, but it will be up to the offense to score some points late. The Lions are not a great team overall, but the defense is legitimate top 5. I don't think the Lions are capable of winning on the road against Seattle and GB, or probably not even Az and Philly in the playoffs. I don't see a path to the SB for this team, but I hope they are competitive.

I'd like to have another go against Arizona on the road, I think we could actually take them on a good day. Likewise Philly, I think we could win there.

Arizona we were simply asleep for the first five mins when they got two TDs. Other than that it was very even. Both teams are pretty similar tbh, good Ds and Os that can falter, but on a good day I think our O has the more explosive weapons to make something happen when it counts.

Philly are so hot and cold anything could happen.

Seattle and GB would obviously seem like a bridge too far.

I like winning ugly. It's nice to know you don't have to play virtually perfect football to win. They make the plays when they have to, survive and advance.

Great accomplishment going 7-1 at home. This is a very rare thing: 8-0 in 1991, 7-1 1995 and 1981, 7-0 in 1962 (and 1931 when they were in Portsmouth).

How do the Lions win the division?

Regardless of anything that happens next Sunday, the Lions win the division by winning at Green Bay in the final game of the regular season. They would also win the division Sunday with a win at Chicago combined with a Packers loss at Tampa Bay (based on the fourth division tiebreaker, best conference record).

How do the Lions earn a first-round bye and host a playoff game?
They must win the division and have a record equal to or better than the NFC East winner. So, the Lions can either win their final two games -- or lose at Chicago, win at Green Bay and have the Cowboys lose at least once.

How do the Lions earn the No. 1 seed?
The Lions must win at Chicago and at Green Bay, and Arizona must lose its final two games (vs. Seattle and at San Francisco), and Seattle must lose its final game (vs. St. Louis).

How do the Lions miss the playoffs?
The only way the Lions miss the playoffs is if they lose their final two games, and the Eagles win their final two games, and the Cowboys win at least one more.

Who will they play if they're a wild card?
If the Lions are a wild card, they most likely will be the No. 6 seed and travel to face the NFC East winner (which right now would be Dallas). If they finish with the No. 5 seed, they would play at the NFC South winner (which right now would be Carolina, though New Orleans and Atlanta are in contention as well). If Dallas finishes 12-4, Detroit could play in Green Bay or Seattle.

How do they get the No. 5 seed?
If the Lions make the playoffs as an 11-5 wild-card team, they must have Seattle lose its final two games. Otherwise, the Lions are a No. 6 seed.

Can an 11-5 team really miss the playoffs?
Yes. If Philadelphia wins its final two games, Dallas doesn't lose its final two games, and neither Detroit, Green Bay nor Seattle lose their final two games, Philadelphia or Dallas is 11-5 and out.

But Detroit, of course, would be in.

Just win, baby. One more time.

NFC playoff standings:
x-1. Arizona (11-3)
2. Detroit (10-4)
3. Dallas (10-4)
4. Carolina (5-8-1)
5. Seattle (10-4)
6. Green Bay (10-4)
-----
7. Philadelphia (9-5)

x -- Clinched playoff spot

Have to admit I read the headline as "Suh hosts buffet" and wondered if they went to Texas de Brazil or Harmonie Garden Club.

Ndamukong Suh wasn't around Sunday to address the media on what might have been his final game at Ford Field, but the Lions' most important pending free agent sure treated it like something special.

Suh, who had four tackles and one sack to lead another dominant defensive performance in the Lions 16-14 victory over the Minnesota Vikings at Ford Field, hosted billionaire investor Warren Buffett as a private guest for the game.

Buffett, who knows Suh through mutual Nebraska friends, wore a blue No. 90 Suh jersey on the sideline before the game, and Suh gave him a high-five as he walked off the field after pregame warm-ups.

"Every game is special for him," Lions coach Jim Caldwell said, insisting Sunday was no more special than usual for Suh. "I wouldn't think Warren Buffett wouldn't show up at just anytime, anywhere. It's just one of his buddies and he's been mentoring him, I know that, and they have a close relationship, so maybe this is the only time he could get here."

Several teammates said that Suh, whose rookie contract voids five days after the Super Bowl, didn't approach Sunday's game any differently than usual and most didn't even notice Buffett on the field.

"I think it's a game that had a lot of meaning for a lot of people," safety Glover Quin said. "It's the last home game for right now and so everybody probably got a lot of family in town. I don't think that signifies it's his last game, but I have no control over that so as long as we got the win today I'm pretty sure he was excited."

Asked whether he had a chance to speak to Buffett, Quin said, no.

"I didn't even know Warren Buffett was here to be honest you," Quin said. "If I would have known, I probably would have asked him for cash."

Last edited by a moderator:
A decent defense will shut down Detroit, that has been shown throughout the season. They just can't protect Stafford, and they are not doing a great job utilizing the talent they have on offense. The defense will keep them in most games, but it will be up to the offense to score some points late. The Lions are not a great team overall, but the defense is legitimate top 5. I don't think the Lions are capable of winning on the road against Seattle and GB, or probably not even Az and Philly in the playoffs. I don't see a path to the SB for this team, but I hope they are competitive.
Win out and get the #1 seed. Then they won't have to worry about going on the road.

Loving this season but there is that small spectre of doom nestled away in the corner of my head. Really wanted Philly to win last night. We needed a sweep either way there to be truly comfortable. It isn't hard to imagine ....

Philly beat two poor teams in Giants and Skins to go 11-5

Dallas go 1-1 to end up 11-5

Seattle end up at least 11-5.

This puts far too much riding on next week for me to be feeling comfortable. Yes the Bears are awful, but if those three things above happen we basically must win next week ( don't see us winning in GB ) and we don't have a great record of pulling through in clutch situations going back previous seasons.

The extra breathing room of a Philly win last night would have been very very nice.

I was at the game yesterday and for the life of me I don`t know how this team is 10-4. I see a 7-7 team at best. I know a win is a win in the NFL but this year the opponents have gift wrapped wins for the Lions. Caldwell stopping the clock before the Lions punted at the end was stupid. Gave the Viking 2-3 more plays. Caldwell has got away with 2-3 clock management blunders this year already.

The Lions have taken advantage of a weak schedule so that is a plus.

I was at the game yesterday and for the life of me I don`t know how this team is 10-4. I see a 7-7 team at best. I know a win is a win in the NFL but this year the opponents have gift wrapped wins for the Lions. Caldwell stopping the clock before the Lions punted at the end was stupid. Gave the Viking 2-3 more plays. Caldwell has got away with 2-3 clock management blunders this year already.

Why are you a Lions fan if even in a good season you are negative?

Some of the Lions fans are sad fans, put the lame excuses of past performances away because not one previous year matters to this team.

Seems like you enjoy living in a black hole of depression by choice.

Not a Lions fan, but good to see a long suffering, loyal fanbase enjoying some success. With their defense playing so well, I don't see any reason they can't contend, other than Stafford choking somehow.

I kinda agree with this, though I think they are a bit better than 500. I can't figure out Stafford, he just looks terrible for whole games this season. And not against good defenses or fierce pass rushes. Its like he's not seeing the field or something and he generally has a pretty good pocket. He just stands there holding the ball like a dear in the headlights- you got Calvin friggin Johnson, if you have 5 seconds to throw the ball, he's open.

I know we are trying to vary up our offence more than the Schwartz days but Id like to see more slants and posts of 10-20 yards to Calvin. Up the middle to Calvin over that distance has been our get out of jail free card on many occasions in previous years. It's been used a little this season and Calvin has been reeling them in with ease when we have gone to it, but I've maybe seen it around once a game this year when He's been fit.

We've got Tate as an option now which is nice, but we could be leaning on this tried and tested bread and butter a little more.

At least that's how it seems to me, but I'm sure some more experienced heads migjt be able to tell me why that's not the case.

Clock management befuddles a lot of NFL coaches. It's amazing how often it is botched at the highest level (great QBs are the exception).The Lions just went 7-1 at home, and a few those and the London game have been called lucky. Perhaps, but they've won those 4 come from games because they made plays. Jason Jones didn't get lucky yesterday blocking that FG. He almost got through for a block earlier and planned out his route to the season saving block. Glover Quinn doesn't lead the league in interceptions because he's lucky. DeAndre Levey isn't one of the top three ILBs in the NFL because he's lucky. The Lions have an outstanding D line and a pair of safeties who make as many big plays as any combo. Suh has had a good year, but it's been just as vital to receive contributions from Mosely, Jones and Whitehead. Prater has been solid for the last six weeks. Megatron can change any game in an instant.

Lions fans have a long tradition of misery and love to commiserate with each other. Whether you and Mix choose to embrace that defeatist attitude is none of my concern, but the fact is this is a good team. They're going to the playoffs because they deserve it. Would not surprise me in the least if they crush the Bears and finish this off with a long overdue win in Lambeau.

There are no super teams in the NFC. Detroit can hang with anybody.

Caldwell made several similar bonehead calls when he was with the Colts. The Lions have pulled out several games by magic despite Caldwell. The Lions have been on the lucky end of games more times this year than in the last 20 years combined. I just wish they could figure some stuff out on offense. They have the talent to be better than they are. Whatever Caldwell did on defense though was pure genius. And the lack of stupid penalties has been a huge plus too.

Some of the Lions fans are sad fans, put the lame excuses of past performances away because not one previous year matters to this team.

It isn't a Lions thing it is a Detroit/Michigan thing.

Could it be because in the 49 years of the Super Bowl era, the Detroit Lions have amassed an impressive 1-10 record in the playoffs, with many of the loses being complete humiliations which were far worse than the box scores even suggest? I am ecstatic with the Lions winning, but come on, the franchise has by far the worst record in playoff performances of any NFL team. Most people have the Lions ranked about the 8-10th best team in the league. And that is about right, and that is about how I realistically look at their chances in the playoffs. Now if they somehow did pull off a #1 or #2 seed, I would like their chances a lot more.

I would say the Lions were very unlucky to lose the Bills game; we missed three FGs and the Bills hit a 58 yarder on the last play of the game. Freese also missed 2 in the Carolina game, meaning that game was a lot closer than 24-7 looked. Pretty sure we out gained them, had more FDs, converted twice as many third downs, et al. No luck in the Desert or Foxboro, Stafford stunk. That's two beat downs and two games they could have easily won.

We didn't get lucky in the four comebacks v the Saints, Falcons, and Miami. We forced turnovers or made big stops, then the offense did their job. About the only "lucky" win was the London game, but they put themselves in position to take advantage of the breaks by making plays. The second half of their "lucky" wins;

NO - TD punt FG FG INT downs

ATL - punt punt INT punt

MIA - FUM FG TD FG punt downs

(3 punts & INT 1st half)

MIN - LAST 44 MIN: 2 INT 2 missed FGA blocked FGA punt downs

Stafford is not having a good year statistically, but he's still outplayed the opposing QB in 9-10 games. The Lions rushing attack is one of the worst in the league, yet Joique has been the leading rusher 8 times (& Bush once). Calvin has been the leading receiving 6 times, Tate 4 times, Riddick once.

In other words, the Lions are 10-4 because in the vast majority of their games, they outplayed the other team. They're 10-4 for legitimate reasons, not because of 'magic'.

There is no doubt the lions have outplayed most of the other teams. Stafford has not had a great season But when the game has been on the line, he has been outstanding.

I would say the Lions were very unlucky to lose the Bills game; we missed three FGs and the Bills hit a 58 yarder on the last play of the game. Freese also missed 2 in the Carolina game, meaning that game was a lot closer than 24-7 looked. Pretty sure we out gained them, had more FDs, converted twice as many third downs, et al. No luck in the Desert or Foxboro, Stafford stunk. That's two beat downs and two games they could have easily won.

We didn't get lucky in the four comebacks v the Saints, Falcons, and Miami. We forced turnovers or made big stops, then the offense did their job. About the only "lucky" win was the London game, but they put themselves in position to take advantage of the breaks by making plays. The second half of their "lucky" wins;

ATL - punt punt INT punt

(3 punts & INT 1st half)

Stafford is not having a good year statistically, but he's still outplayed the opposing QB in 9-10 games. The Lions rushing attack is one of the worst in the league, yet Joique has been the leading rusher 8 times (& Bush once). Calvin has been the leading receiving 6 times, Tate 4 times, Riddick once.

In other words, the Lions are 10-4 because in the vast majority of their games, they outplayed the other team. They're 10-4 for legitimate reasons, not because of 'magic'.
Theyve outplayed bad teams. Usually. What happens come playoff time? This team has one and done written all over them.

mbuehner said:
BobbyLayne said:

ATL - punt punt INT punt

(3 punts & INT 1st half)

Theyve outplayed bad teams. Usually. What happens come playoff time? This team has one and done written all over them.
:lmao:

Yeah, lots of SB run talk in this thread, right? Oh, wait...

As noted up thread, 1-10 in the SB era. One win was at home (1991), and though I remember losing to Farve in the Silverdome around 1993 - week after beating GB to clinch the division - I'm pretty sure every Othe game was on the road.

No reason to think this team can win a road playoff unless they end up the #5 seed and go to the AFC South. But if they win out and capture a #2 seed, they're tough at home.

One playoff berth in 14 years, which most find a way to frame in a negative manner. Is there something inherently wrong with celebrating accomplishment and achievement? It's not like Lions fans are spoiled.

mbuehner said:
BobbyLayne said:

ATL - punt punt INT punt

(3 punts & INT 1st half)

:lmao:

Yeah, lots of SB run talk in this thread, right? Oh, wait...

As noted up thread, 1-10 in the SB era. One win was at home (1991), and though I remember losing to Farve in the Silverdome around 1993 - week after beating GB to clinch the division - I'm pretty sure every Othe game was on the road.

No reason to think this team can win a road playoff unless they end up the #5 seed and go to the AFC South. But if they win out and capture a #2 seed, they're tough at home.

One playoff berth in 14 years, which most find a way to frame in a negative manner. Is there something inherently wrong with celebrating accomplishment and achievement? It's not like Lions fans are spoiled.

I'd have to imagine that Det fans are pulling for Arz over Sea this week, right? I mean you'd rather Arz be the 1 seed than Sea. Of course Det needs to worry about earning the 2 seed by beating GB in GB. A tall task.

I'd have to imagine that Det fans are pulling for Arz over Sea this week, right? I mean you'd rather Arz be the 1 seed than Sea. Of course Det needs to worry about earning the 2 seed by beating GB in GB. A tall task.
Not worried about what other teams do or don't do.

1. Win in Chicago, clinch playoffs

2. Win in Green Bay, clinch division (#2 is possible without #1)

No wins in WI since 1992, no division titles since 1993. This is already a historically good Lions team. That speaks more to their modest past than anything else.

Arizona being a #1 and Detroit being #2 would be the dream scenario.

Arizona being a #1 and Detroit being #2 would be the dream scenario.
Yes, that would work. a bye & a home game. And if they lose to that team I saw last night they don't deserve any sort of lucky draw anyways.

coincidence
I am not laughing at the Bears before Sunday. The game has me a bit nervous.
You must have missed last nights game. Chicago has packed it in, they are done like dinner. Calvin might have 3 TD's this week. Nobody wants to cover anyone. Brees was freaking 18 of 20 at half time.

Brees 29 of 36 for 375 yards and 3 TD's

Forte just letting defenders run right up the middle and crush Cutler. Something very strange is going on in Chicago......

Could it be because in the 49 years of the Super Bowl era, the Detroit Lions have amassed an impressive 1-10 record in the playoffs, with many of the loses being complete humiliations which were far worse than the box scores even suggest? I am ecstatic with the Lions winning, but come on, the franchise has by far the worst record in playoff performances of any NFL team. Most people have the Lions ranked about the 8-10th best team in the league. And that is about right, and that is about how I realistically look at their chances in the playoffs. Now if they somehow did pull off a #1 or #2 seed, I would like their chances a lot more.
Guess it is a Detroit/Michigan thing. The black cloud of misery hangs over the city. Fans change the mojo, then the Lions may stay winners.

Not worried about what other teams do or don't do.

1. Win in Chicago, clinch playoffs

2. Win in Green Bay, clinch division (#2 is possible without #1)

No wins in WI since 1992, no division titles since 1993. This is already a historically good Lions team. That speaks more to their modest past than anything else.
Keep the vibe alive! Lions need positive fans, I'm sure players dont feed of negative energy or comments. Players are always conscious of the way the fans treat them and the way the feel as a consensus. If they care is another thing but I would say most do.

Guess it is a Detroit/Michigan thing. The black cloud of misery hangs over the city. Fans change the mojo, then the Lions may stay winners.
That is kind of a weird criticism. Detroit fans are too easily excited if anything. They pack the stadium whenever anything close to a mediocre team is assembled. Perhaps the biggest problem is the fans support the product too easily. The fans have had their hopes up some many times and filled their hearts with optimism, only to have it quickly shattered. You get a playoff game in Detroit, and you will see an amazing crowd.

Let's review. This Jerry Curl alias has been trolling TSP for months. I've personally seen him called out in several threads for always bringing the negative, whining, not contributing.

This week he is lecturing Lions fans on how to be more positive and righteous for a change.

:confetti:

If we're pretending that Detroit is a legitimate super bowl contender? Then yeah, rather travel to Ari than Sea despite the earlier embarrassment there.

For most Lions fans though, just get into the playoffs, and let the rest of it work out as it does. Too much history of looking good and then falling flat to expect much more. You don't have even be a Lions fan for 10 or 20 or however many years to be worried, you just have to look back to last year when a 6-3 team needed 2, maybe three wins and couldn't do it, losing to teams that were 3-6, 2-8 and 5-9 before mailing it in vs a 4-10-1 Vikes team.

As others have said, a #2 seed and a bye would be a dream, and I'll do anything I can to go if the Lions host a game. Of course, the Harlem Globetrotters have lost more frequently than GB has hosting Detroit the last 20 years, so yeah.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2301847-bills-buy-lions-pizza-and-wings-to-thank-them-for-sharing-ford-field?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming

The Detroit Lions helped the Buffalo Bills in a time of need back in Week 12 after the "snowpocalypse," and the Bills have found a pretty good way to thank the Lions for their help.

Back in late November, the Buffalo area got hammered by a mind-blowing amount of snow. Not only did the snow fill Ralph Wilson Stadium, but it also made it nearly impossible for anyone to go anywhere.

The Bills were scheduled to host the New York Jets on Sunday, Nov. 23. However, due to the incredible snowfall during the week, the game was unable to be played in Buffalo. Luckily, Detroit's Ford Field was available to host the game on Nov. 24.

After a difficult week, the Bills dominated their way to a 38-3 victory over the Jets at Ford Field. Now, Buffalo has repaid its kind hosts with a nice gesture—pizza and wings.

Joique Bell the #9 RB @ fantasypros.com this week. Not a bad idea to get the running game going this time of the year & on the road.

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]Cutler benched, Lions are going up against a QB that hasnt played in 4 years. Win and there in, a PHI loss to WAS on Saturday would also clinch.[/SIZE]

Ladsud said:
Cutler benched, Lions are going up against a QB that hasnt played in 4 years. Win and there in, a PHI loss to WAS on Saturday would also clinch.
Wow, Culter is benched. This is almost as good as the time Rodgers was hurt and instead got Some unknown QB named Matt Flynn. :oldunsure:

Question for the Detroit homers... I own the Detroit DST in dynasty, who have been quite the pleasant surprise this year. But if they lose Suh, seems like that would be a major, major blow to that defense.

Is it just a foregone conclusion he's gone?

Users who are viewing this thread