What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (12 Viewers)

Not sure they are drafting him for 1k seasons.

Receiving may not even be his primary function, certainly early on.

If he can block as well as predicted... not a waste.
If he was drafted to be a blocker then it was a waste at 8. You draft a tackle at 8 for blocking. At 8 a TE should be an all pro. I’m not saying it was the worst pick ever and I hope I’m wrong  but the Lions had a chance to help build one side of the ball into something special and they passed. The way the lions brass seem to love settling for average is mind numbing. 

As a Kerryon fan I guess I should be happy with the pick. Hockenson should help open some lanes. 

Certainly would have been interesting if the Jags hadn’t taken Allen. That one still stings, just about everyone thought the Jags would go O line and it seemed like the most dangerous options for taking Allen had passed 

Certainly would have been interesting if the Jags hadn’t taken Allen. That one still stings, just about everyone thought the Jags would go O line and it seemed like the most dangerous options for taking Allen had passed 
100% agree...only speculation on my part but I bet they would have taken Allen. These edge guys are money makers and if you are drafting early you need to strongly consider one if available. Jax was probably surprised that he was still there and took BPA.

With that said Hock can boost this offense big time. Even if he is not the 1000 yard guy, he can dramatically improve the run and pass blocking. Also providing a red zone threat and big third down target. Bottom line is that he is a pick that checks a lot of boxes and helps in a lot of different ways. The more I let the pick sink in, the more I like it.

Hockenson is one of the safest picks in the draft. A devastating blocker, a very underrated receiver. It’s no surprise what type of offense they want to run (two tight end, run run run) and he fits the offense like a glove. 

Excellent pick. 

Hockenson is one of the safest picks in the draft. A devastating blocker, a very underrated receiver. It’s no surprise what type of offense they want to run (two tight end, run run run) and he fits the offense like a glove. 

Excellent pick. 
Agreed.  People insist on comparing him to Ebron but they couldn’t be more different as players.  Hockenson is basically a 6th offensive lineman who is also a good receiver.  If I had to bet on one guy from this draft class not to bust it would be Hockenson.  

Hoping they grab 1 of these 7 (in no particular order) at #11 tonight:

CBs - Greedy, Murphy, Ya-Sin; DE - Winovich; OT - Taylor, Ford, Little

I'd be happy if they finished tonight with something like CB Ya-Sin in the 2nd and DE Polite in the 3rd. 

Bleh, not real happy with that pick.  I was hoping for Oliver and he was there for the taking.  I think this is another one we'll look back on and shake our heads about.  I'm with the others that say the Lions do a crap job utilizing TEs, maybe this regime will be different, but the Lions are the Lions until proven otherwise

Excellent pick. 
Hockey is a safe pick..the Lions are not looking for a high flying offense.   They want to run the ball more and have a controlled offense.   Seems they are going in a different direction than most NFL teams are but who knows?

Lions offense has been really boring to watch since Calvin left so I was hoping to see a more wide open type..but maybe the teams brass does not trust Stafford to be able to do that anymore.

This. The fact that he can help the running game and passing game simultaneously is what drove this pick. If a tight end projected to be the best pass catching TE of all time was available, and he couldn't block, I don't think Quinn would have taken him. The offensive philosophy is to run and complete short passes, with one or two deep shots per game.

Fine, makes sense, but I want an elite defense damnit. Lions keep going halfway on both fronts and deliver mediocre results year after year.
Hock is a fine player but does it really make sense to burn a top 8 pick on a TE that wasn't even the best pass catching TE at Iowa. Classic Lions. Nobody except Denver would have drafted Hock in the top 20 and as it turns out Denver got Fant there instead. It's a safe pick and low risk of bust, but other teams find guys like this in the second or third round. 

Excellent pick. 
He's definitely a safe pick. But I still think Denver made out better with Fant at #20 who may end up being an elite move TE. And again instead of drafting him the top 10, they traded back. Even Gronk didn't get drafted in the first round. Neither did Kelce or Ertz or Kittle. 

The one thing I really do like about Hock, in addition to the blocking, is that he has great hands. He's definitely no Ebron in that regard. Dude will not drop a pass. 

Hock is a fine player but does it really make sense to burn a top 8 pick on a TE that wasn't even the best pass catching TE at Iowa. Classic Lions. Nobody except Denver would have drafted Hock in the top 20 and as it turns out Denver got Fant there instead. It's a safe pick and low risk of bust, but other teams find guys like this in the second or third round. 
What evidence do you have that Fant was a better pass catching TE than Hockenson? Hockenson had more catches for more yards at a higher yards per reception.   

What evidence do you have that Fant was a better pass catching TE than Hockenson? Hockenson had more catches for more yards at a higher yards per reception.   
Pretty much every TE analysis said Fant was the better receiver and Hock was the better all-around player. I’ve yet to see anyone say otherwise. 

Pretty much every TE analysis said Fant was the better receiver and Hock was the better all-around player. I’ve yet to see anyone say otherwise. 
Was it not more that his pure athleticism was higher and thus his potential as a receiver could be higher than Hockenson ? He had a much higher drop rate than Hock, combined with the aforementioned stats Raback gave. 

Guy on Detroit radio spazzing out over his Giants being complete and utter idiots. Once they clean the spit off his microphone he will grace us with what he thinks of the Lions pick.

I think it was always going to be Hock. He’s such a Quinn guy.

If the Lions are going to improve their most glaring need of outside corner it needs to be in round 2. Justin Layne or Lonnie Johnson make a lot of sense.

As with most Quinn picks, I'm initially irked then I have a chance for the buzz to wear off. I walk it back and analyze it and come to grips with it.

Hock is a typical Quinn pick in every way. Fits a need, team orientated player, somewhat reasonable value for the pick slot and is about as cushy/safe pick you can make.

My concern is that is BQ simply trying not to fail or have a bad track record as a GM with his draft safety dancing or is he legitimately putting together a winner from the foundation up. It's hard to say and understandably so as Lion's fans simply don't know how winners are truly constructed. My other concern about BQ is that when is he actually going to get bold and make THE move that potentially puts us over the top if it were to ever happen. Not sure he has the stones. Hasn't shown it yet IMO.

Better land a CB or OL in the second. Please and thanks.

As with most Quinn picks, I'm initially irked then I have a chance for the buzz to wear off. I walk it back and analyze it and come to grips with it.

Hock is a typical Quinn pick in every way. Fits a need, team orientated player, somewhat reasonable value for the pick slot and is about as cushy/safe pick you can make.

My concern is that is BQ simply trying not to fail or have a bad track record as a GM with his draft safety dancing or is he legitimately putting together a winner from the foundation up. It's hard to say and understandably so as Lion's fans simply don't know how winners are truly constructed. My other concern about BQ is that when is he actually going to get bold and make THE move that potentially puts us over the top if it were to ever happen. Not sure he has the stones. Hasn't shown it yet IMO.

Better land a CB or OL in the second. Please and thanks.
Trading up eight spots for Kerryon Johnson was pretty slick, no?

Love the way they just skipped over the lions pick. They had no clue what to say either.
Seriously! If they don't have film on the guy and have not a clue or word to say my initial impression is that he is NOT 2nd rd. worthy. OMG #greedydeficient

before the Lions pick, I was browsing their best available by position.  this guy was the highest rated ILB on their board.  lets hope he doesn't suck

eta: their=ESPN

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously we'll never know, but the early impression is that this is a guy that would've been there at 88.

Not that they don't need LB help, but "interesting" that they pass on all the DBs left given that situation.

before the Lions pick, I was browsing their best available by position.  this guy was the highest rated ILB on their board.  lets hope he doesn't suck

eta: their=ESPN
He might end up good but I just think he would have still been there a round later.

Project as a 7th rd pick on Draft Scouts. Nice. Meanwhile the Browns select Greedy Williams. 
Zero chance the Lions were ever going to take Greedy, not sure why Lions fans got so worked up about that possibility.  

FWIW Dane Brugler just posted this about him on Twitter (and had him #65 on his big board)

“Tavai was one of my favorite players in this draft. "Out of sight, out of mind" for many because he played at Hawaii and his shoulder kept him from the Senior Bowl and Combine. But Tavis is an ideal modern day LB. Inside-out versatility and can play any down.”

Zero chance the Lions were ever going to take Greedy, not sure why Lions fans got so worked up about that possibility.  

FWIW Dane Brugler just posted this about him on Twitter (and had him #65 on his big board)

“Tavai was one of my favorite players in this draft. "Out of sight, out of mind" for many because he played at Hawaii and his shoulder kept him from the Senior Bowl and Combine. But Tavis is an ideal modern day LB. Inside-out versatility and can play any down.”
Because he's a really good cover corner and the NFL is a passing league? 

Can't recall who said it, but a Detroit analyst suggested on a recent podcast (Locked on NFL Draft maybe?) that the Lions wouldn't draft a "#1 Corner" because it would upset Slay.

I did a WTF at that and thought it insane...but here the Lions are once again ignoring a gaping hole in their defense.  Any locals think there's something to this crazy story?

Last year it took me 1 game to demand the coach be fired. Now we are through 2 rounds and I’m calling for the coach and GM to get fired. Wonderful.

Can't recall who said it, but a Detroit analyst suggested on a recent podcast (Locked on NFL Draft maybe?) that the Lions wouldn't draft a "#1 Corner" because it would upset Slay.

I did a WTF at that and thought it insane...but here the Lions are once again ignoring a gaping hole in their defense.  Any locals think there's something to this crazy story?
I heard that too and I don’t really buy into it. Especially in round 2.

I mean, it felt like 10 picks in a row were all CBs and OL which of course is what the Lions desperately need. Maybe all their guys got taken. I wanted Layne there.

Users who are viewing this thread