What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (7 Viewers)

I mean, it felt like 10 picks in a row were all CBs and OL which of course is what the Lions desperately need. Maybe all their guys got taken. I wanted Layne there.
Feels like say someone in fantasy last year was really locked into taking Davante Adams in round 2 but someone took him one pick ahead so they just panicked and took their sleeper pick Quincy Enunwa.

Can't recall who said it, but a Detroit analyst suggested on a recent podcast (Locked on NFL Draft maybe?) that the Lions wouldn't draft a "#1 Corner" because it would upset Slay.

I did a WTF at that and thought it insane...but here the Lions are once again ignoring a gaping hole in their defense.  Any locals think there's something to this crazy story?
Corner is a gaping hole on the D?

Yea he's not god. But they signed Melvin and Coleman. 

I honestly don't know how good they are, but when added to Slay, doesn't seem like a gaping hole.
 Coleman is a slot CB or at least was in Seattle. Melvin was PFF’s 93rd rated CB last year. Maybe Detroit thinks they can get better play from him but most think he’s a backup. 

It’s at least worth it giving Quinn the benefit of the doubt for just now. People were WTFing all over the shop re the Walker pick last year and most now seem happy with the promise he showed. Draft ‘experts’ big boards are not infallible by a long shot. 

Another awful Lions draft so far. How long must we suffer? 

Tabor was such a terrible pick last year. Couldn't believe we drafted him in the second.

Our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year are reaches too. And another TE in the first. The spirit of Matt Millen lives on.

It’s at least worth it giving Quinn the benefit of the doubt for just now. People were WTFing all over the shop re the Walker pick last year and most now seem happy with the promise he showed. Draft ‘experts’ big boards are not infallible by a long shot. 
And yet that is how post draft grades are handed out by websites. By how close to the general cheat sheet GMs follow. Might as well auto draft, it would keep more people happy.

And yet that is how post draft grades are handed out by websites. By how close to the general cheat sheet GMs follow. Might as well auto draft, it would keep more people happy.
Quinn and his crew could take the weekend off and enjoy that time with their families. Just wake up Monday, plug in the computer, and see what players they drafted.  Maybe they could upload the master list to the lions website so fans could follow along at home, confident who the next pick would be. Matty could pull that pencil out and write down his new players. ESPN would know which players to have film ready for when the next pick is due.  Everybody wins.

Quinn and his crew could take the weekend off and enjoy that time with their families. Just wake up Monday, plug in the computer, and see what players they drafted.  Maybe they could upload the master list to the lions website so fans could follow along at home, confident who the next pick would be. Matty could pull that pencil out and write down his new players. ESPN would know which players to have film ready for when the next pick is due.  Everybody wins.
Maybe just let the fans vote for each pick on their website. That would be exciting.

Maybe just let the fans vote for each pick on their website. That would be exciting.
Insert player from U of M here...maybe not, but it seems like a lot of Michigan fans love their players, at least the ones I talk to. Gary/bush in rd 1, Jones rd 2, the te that probably won’t even get drafted in rd 3, and go get Jake Rudock back. I had someone just the a couple weeks expounding in why rudock was a better option at qb and how we should trade stafford. When I pointed out that Rudock wasn’t even good enough to make the roster and isn’t on the team anymore he looked of for a minute and replied “we should draft Higdon!”

Insert player from U of M here...maybe not, but it seems like a lot of Michigan fans love their players, at least the ones I talk to. Gary/bush in rd 1, Jones rd 2, the te that probably won’t even get drafted in rd 3, and go get Jake Rudock back. I had someone just the a couple weeks expounding in why rudock was a better option at qb and how we should trade stafford. When I pointed out that Rudock wasn’t even good enough to make the roster and isn’t on the team anymore he looked of for a minute and replied “we should draft Higdon!”
I don’t know a single Michigan fan that thinks like this. Not saying they aren’t out there like any idiot fan. Clearly the person you were speaking to hasn’t a clue. The only player Wolverine fans would want that I know, and I know a lot of them, is Bush. Gary is overrated. I’m not sure who Jones is. Winovich & Long in the 3rd is ok, but not for Detroit.  

Yeah I can’t believe the fans don’t trust the Lions when they make a 2nd round pick that 90% of the people who study the draft thought should have been a day 3 player. 

I don’t know a single Michigan fan that thinks like this. Not saying they aren’t out there like any idiot fan. Clearly the person you were speaking to hasn’t a clue. The only player Wolverine fans would want that I know, and I know a lot of them, is Bush. Gary is overrated. I’m not sure who Jones is. Winovich & Long in the 3rd is ok, but not for Detroit.  
Sorry I was thinking long and it came out Jones. Who doesn’t have a clue now? I honestly know little about the defenders in this draft at this point. 

Yeah I can’t believe the fans don’t trust the Lions when they make a 2nd round pick that 90% of the people who study the draft thought should have been a day 3 player. 
There is something to be said about how the draft is built and marketed for mass consumption (focus on big schools and T-shirt olympics), and if these are the guys they had on their board, I suppose they did what they went there to do.

But I can't buy that a LB from Hawaii that missed a bunch of the season injured/suspended, and drafting a safety in the 3rd round two years in a row was what they went there to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also - since Barry was there, for 32 years, all I've ever hoped for was to see the Lions put a top notch OL on the field.  Starting to think I'll go to my grave before that happens.

Also - since Barry was there, for 32 years, all I've ever hoped for was to see the Lions put a top notch OL on the field.  Starting to think I'll go to my grave before that happens.
They certainly tried the last couple years which I appreciate the effort. 

Detroit just has a very different approach. They likely only have a handful of guys they even want. Greedy, Devin Bush, Justin Layne and others weren’t likely ever in consideration. 

Detroit just has a very different approach. They likely only have a handful of guys they even want. Greedy, Devin Bush, Justin Layne and others weren’t likely ever in consideration. 
they were definitely interested in Bush and I believe he was our 2nd choice at 8.  They talked to him about playing MLB, which apparently is what this Tavai guy is going to be pegged for and move Davis to OLB where he's been more effective.  I have a buddy who follows this stuff very closely and the Tavai pick is his favorite of the draft so far for us.  who knows?  I'm going to hope for the best.  everyone we've drafted have been high character 'culture' guys who have versatility.  I have zero problem with the Harris pick, just wished we could've traded back and grabbed Tavai like we did when everyone said we reached for Golladay.

I don't put any weight into rankings on the web or what the fans think.  I remember everyone clamoring for Aaron Curry over Stafford. 

DE depth, possible (to mold into an) edge rusher. Even a 4th round grade! We're getting into the area where prospects are lucky to do much of anything, but can't complain.

they were definitely interested in Bush and I believe he was our 2nd choice at 8.  They talked to him about playing MLB, which apparently is what this Tavai guy is going to be pegged for and move Davis to OLB where he's been more effective.  I have a buddy who follows this stuff very closely and the Tavai pick is his favorite of the draft so far for us.  who knows?  I'm going to hope for the best.  everyone we've drafted have been high character 'culture' guys who have versatility.  I have zero problem with the Harris pick, just wished we could've traded back and grabbed Tavai like we did when everyone said we reached for Golladay.

I don't put any weight into rankings on the web or what the fans think.  I remember everyone clamoring for Aaron Curry over Stafford. 
The Lions don’t necessarily bring in guys they like. They didn’t bring Hock in. Don’t think they brought Ragmow in. They aren’t giving other teams any clue what they are doing. I’m sure the Bush stories came and the desperation to trade back were designed specifically to make teams not feel threatened that Detroit might take Hock. After taking the Hawaii LB they talked about how size being important for their LB group and that’s the one weakness of Bush.

Not to rehash, but in the second round the Lions drafted a LB who runs a 4.83. How is that going to work in the NFL?

Not to rehash, but in the second round the Lions drafted a LB who runs a 4.83. How is that going to work in the NFL?
Speculation is he will be used like Hightower and as half LB and half edge rusher. I guess he lined as DE quite a bit at Hawaii.

I won’t even try to spell the name of the CB the Lions just took from PSU but everyone on Twitter seems to think he was a 2nd round talent. This might have turned things around. 

I won’t even try to spell the name of the CB the Lions just took from PSU but everyone on Twitter seems to think he was a 2nd round talent. This might have turned things around. 
Going up to the podium and pronouncing his name scared off a few teams from picking him.

WR Travis Fulgham (Old Dominion)

RB Ty Johnson (Maryland)

Time to do a little research..
Nailed it. Travis is a big slot projection. He’s old and doesn’t have long speed but everything else is good. Ty was never a lead back but he’s got prototypical size and is a 4.45 guy. 

Users who are viewing this thread