What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (15 Viewers)

At least Hock looked good.  Assume he’ll go 1 rec, 6 yards on 2 targets next week

lack of run game when the needed to ice a lead is very concerning 

I was honestly afraid that the margin was too great for the Lions to give up, but by running every play in an effort to not lose and being baffled  by quick passes, they found a way! At least, in a technical sense, they started off better than last year >.< 

Its almost a comfortable feeling. Aaaaahhhhh ... the Lions blew it. All is normal in the world. #SOL
I was at a festival and they had TVS.  I walked up thinking it was over and just saw a couple of guys giving the SOL head shake and knew the lead was blown..

Last edited by a moderator:
0-3-1 awaits. Had hoped we could win this one, and maybe snatch 1 of the other 3 difficult ones coming up and come out of the first month 2-2. Sigh. 

11 year quarterback making his 145th consecutive start but Darrel Bevell panicked he wasn’t gonna get the play off.

Taylor Decker played like a mid-round rookie.

The game plans were fine for three quarters, before the offense turtled and the defense went into semi-prevent.

Did not expect CJA to be in a near even split. Don’t understand the JDM signing when they already have Ty Johnson, but typical NFL coach thinking. Go with mediocre vets “you can trust” over more talented playmakers.

Well, fans don’t trust you so I guess we can appreciate that mentality.

They need to get over themselves and play Kerryon more. "Saving" him for what? You get the ball in the hands of your best players. 

And more proof that Patricia is NOT a defensive guru. We made another first time QB look like a Hall of Famer. How many times have we done that??

They need to get over themselves and play Kerryon more. "Saving" him for what? You get the ball in the hands of your best players. 

And more proof that Patricia is NOT a defensive guru. We made another first time QB look like a Hall of Famer. How many times have we done that??
I disagree with this. They had a great game plan and completely shut down Arizona. Until they backed off and went to a prevent defense.

I think Patricia is a great defensive coordinator. And a TERRIBLE head coach.

11 year quarterback making his 145th consecutive start but Darrel Bevell panicked he wasn’t gonna get the play off.

Taylor Decker played like a mid-round rookie.

The game plans were fine for three quarters, before the offense turtled and the defense went into semi-prevent.

Did not expect CJA to be in a near even split. Don’t understand the JDM signing when they already have Ty Johnson, but typical NFL coach thinking. Go with mediocre vets “you can trust” over more talented playmakers.

Well, fans don’t trust you so I guess we can appreciate that mentality.

Its sort of flabbergasting that they don't trust Stafford. If you can't trust him, who can you trust? And it wasn't just that play - they took the game out of his hands when they went conservative on offense late also. Very frustrating.

Its sort of flabbergasting that they don't trust Stafford. If you can't trust him, who can you trust? And it wasn't just that play - they took the game out of his hands when they went conservative on offense late also. Very frustrating.
Stafford needs to be more aggressive too, and audible out some of the run plays like Brady or Manning would do. 

I disagree with this. They had a great game plan and completely shut down Arizona. Until they backed off and went to a prevent defense.

I think Patricia is a great defensive coordinator. And a TERRIBLE head coach.
Really? DO you remember how the last defense he coached in NE looked like in the Super Bowl? Or how the Pats defense has improved since he left?

Did they have a good game plan or did it just take Arizona some time to get going? Guess we will find out. 

We can agree he is a terrible head coach. 😀

Stafford needs to be more aggressive too, and audible out some of the run plays like Brady or Manning would do. 
Which is why he’s not Rodgers or Brady or Manning. He is what he is, can’t wish cast him into something he’ll never be.

He is always diplomatic in front of the media. Gave Bevell a pass yesterday even though he was livid in the moment.

Letting their foot off the gas when they get up big is a Lions tradition. Week 1 versus Chargers in 2015, the MNF Hail Mary game they got up 20 versus the Pack.

#sol

It is so amazing this stuff keeps happening. Like they could turn over the entire roster & coaching staff but still come with fresh new ways to blow games.
Seriously, it is very difficult to understand.  On thing I think is becoming clear around the NFL is that the "Patriot Way" only works in NE with Billy B.  It has never worked anywhere else. 

It is so amazing this stuff keeps happening. Like they could turn over the entire roster & coaching staff but still come with fresh new ways to blow games.

Seriously, it is very difficult to understand.  On thing I think is becoming clear around the NFL is that the "Patriot Way" only works in NE with Billy B.  It has never worked anywhere else. 

And I honestly don't believe that the Fords are bad owners. By that I mean - they actually try. They spend money. They built a great stadium and have good workout facilities. They seem to sincerely want to win and try to do so.

They just are terrible at it.

I'd say you could be Jets fans but we have some AFC Championship games from a decade ago.

*sighs* At least Hock looks good. I was hoping you'd bring him along slowly for fantasy purposes. He's on two out of three of my teams, should anybody care.

Back to the thread, the Lions looked great until they played prevent and let Kyler breathe a little. Otherwise, I thought the coaching was fine and you all looked quite dominant for three quarters. 24-9 seemed like 40-0 the way the Cardinals have been going in preseason and up until then.

Bad luck and some missed plays on the field.   

And I honestly don't believe that the Fords are bad owners. By that I mean - they actually try. They spend money. They built a great stadium and have good workout facilities. They seem to sincerely want to win and try to do so.

They just are terrible at it.
I totally agree.   I truly think the Fords want to win as bad as Robert Kraft, Jerry Jones and any other owners. They just don`t know how and they are too loyal. When they hired family financial advisor Rod Wood as team prez was a glaring example.  As his first presser Wood admits he a little surprised at getting the position and that he does not know much about NFL football.  When they fired the worst GM in NFL history they promoted his right hand man instead of cleaning house.  Then they fire Mayhew and Lewand mid-season during a losing streak and keep the HC.  It is usually the opposite.

I do feel bad for Stafford as he is not the problem.  Stafford could have thrown for 500 yards yesterday.

Time and time again in the NFL you will see one team dominate the other in the NFL for three quarters. And then in the 4th quarter go away from what was working and no longer be aggressive or creative. 

Allowing the other team to dictate tempo and assume the aggressor role.

A big lead is squandered and all of sudden they are praying to hold on to the game. Often when the "prevent" does work teams still have to endure last ditch throws into the end zone or Hail Marys.

It just sickens me as a fan to see your team dominate and then decide its going to just sit there like a punching bag.

I would love to see statistics regarding what happens when a team goes into prevent mode as it relates to scoring and its effect on Wins and Losses.

One other thing if I were a coach trying to hold on to a lead at the end I would more frequently then what is occurring now use my timeouts to give my defenders a rest. Once the pass rush stops coming its easier to complete passes. Also three men rushes are just inadequate.

There is a place for prevent defense at the very end of games but otherwise they suck and suck the life out of your team.

Time and time again in the NFL you will see one team dominate the other in the NFL for three quarters. And then in the 4th quarter go away from what was working and no longer be aggressive or creative. 

Allowing the other team to dictate tempo and assume the aggressor role.
Exactly what you would expect from the Lions. Their HC is not interested in scoring points or stomping the other team into the ground. The one before him was the same and before him the same. What's in the water up there, Detroit? Lead? :D

Golladay, Hockenson, Amendola, Jones and a couple serviceable RBs. Not bad at all. They actually scored some TDs with some nice big plays but of course then laid down like the cowardly Lions that they are. Up 17-3 at the half, 'yeah we got enough points to win. Let's dial up some stupid plays and test them out...what happened? How'd we end up tied?'.

Patricia said today that the Lions did not go into a prevent defense mode in the 4th. They were making the same defensive calls. 

Which - if true - then what the hell happened?

Exactly what you would expect from the Lions. Their HC is not interested in scoring points or stomping the other team into the ground. The one before him was the same and before him the same. What's in the water up there, Detroit? Lead? :D

Golladay, Hockenson, Amendola, Jones and a couple serviceable RBs. Not bad at all. They actually scored some TDs with some nice big plays but of course then laid down like the cowardly Lions that they are. Up 17-3 at the half, 'yeah we got enough points to win. Let's dial up some stupid plays and test them out...what happened? How'd we end up tied?'.
Mike McCarthy appears to be coaching in Detroit now. 

I'd say you could be Jets fans but we have some AFC Championship games from a decade ago.

*sighs* At least Hock looks good. I was hoping you'd bring him along slowly for fantasy purposes. He's on two out of three of my teams, should anybody care.

Back to the thread, the Lions looked great until they played prevent and let Kyler breathe a little. Otherwise, I thought the coaching was fine and you all looked quite dominant for three quarters. 24-9 seemed like 40-0 the way the Cardinals have been going in preseason and up until then.

Bad luck and some missed plays on the field.   
It's just the Lions. The moment that TO was called that cost us a huge play and 1st down, every Lions fan knew we weren't going to win that game. 

It's just the Lions. The moment that TO was called that cost us a huge play and 1st down, every Lions fan knew we weren't going to win that game. 
I wonder what the eXP was after that time out, though. I mean AZ still had to get the ball back, march down the field, score, and score a two-point conversion, no small task or feat given their offensive performance from the beginning of the preseason on up until the drive before.

It all goes back to the Ford family buying the team. Before that they were a pretty good franchise. Of course you have to be over 80 to actually remember that.

I wonder what the eXP was after that time out, though. I mean AZ still had to get the ball back, march down the field, score, and score a two-point conversion, no small task or feat given their offensive performance from the beginning of the preseason on up until the drive before.
It's just how the Lions operate. Amendola inexplicably not going out of bounds on a late drive attempt. It's vintage Lions. 

Per @DetroitOnLion from Twitter, When Staff threw the TD to Hock, he was 20/29 with 301 and 3 TDs. Detroit was up 18-0. He would throw the ball only 3 more times before Arizona tied it. 

Per Warren Sharp, the 1st half Detroit threw 54% of the time on early downs and averaged 4 yards to go on 3rd. In the 2nd half, they threw 39% on early downs and averaged 9.9 yards to go on 3rd down. 

Ilov80s said:
It's just how the Lions operate. Amendola inexplicably not going out of bounds on a late drive attempt. It's vintage Lions. 

The amazing thing about it is Amendola has probably made a completely boneheaded decision like that in his entire career. Then he becomes a Lion and ... whoop - automatically turns bonehead.

The amazing thing about it is Amendola has probably made a completely boneheaded decision like that in his entire career. Then he becomes a Lion and ... whoop - automatically turns bonehead.
Looks like Danny is the new punt returner.

This was a game that the SOL should have lost.  Chargers should have scored 3 TDs on the same possession and came way with zero.

Might be a new dawn....

The Jalen Ramsey rumors are building. The release of CJ and Josh Johnson frees up the roster and cap space to get him. 
I never thought of the Lions as a fit, but it makes sense. They already have their QB, #1 WR, LT, top pass rusher, #1 CB, so its not like there is a major position they would need to hit with a draft pick. That would be pretty scary to have him on one side and Slay on the other.

I actually feel the opposite, the only non-QB who would be a better long term fit is Myles Garret imo. Ramsey is the premier shutdown corner and it’s not close. 
Ramsey isn't a team guy and there are loads of premier shut down corners that have fallen off a cliff.

I never thought of the Lions as a fit, but it makes sense. They already have their QB, #1 WR, LT, top pass rusher, #1 CB, so its not like there is a major position they would need to hit with a draft pick. That would be pretty scary to have him on one side and Slay on the other.
It’s unlikely ofcourse but it would turn the Lions D into a top 3 unit in the NFL imo. Ramsey is incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread