What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes? Sutton goes.. (11 Viewers)

OMG, is she a complete and utter PIA? I've never seen her posts before but she describes a horrific 24 hours as if she couldn't have just stayed home in quarantine like everyone else in the world has done. I'm sure the pool at her house sucks balls and that she had no food or water. It's scary how out of touch people are that she couldn't chill with a movie or a book or go swimming for a day. 1000 people dying a day in the US and she probably had to delay her hair appointment, what a shame.
sounds like her frustration is pretty justified

"Even after we knew it was false positive, our school told us they were not allowed back," Stafford wrote. "I was approached in a grocery store and told I was 'endangering others,' my kids were harassed and kicked off a playground, I was told I needed to wait in my car when trying to pick up food, and people closest to us had to get tested just so they could go back to work."

Kelly isn't blaming people or even local institutions.

"I blame the NFL for not holding themselves accountable. These are people's lives and livelihoods that are in those results in THEIR test sites," Kelly wrote. "Maybe we should be absolutely positive a person has COVID before releasing that info to the world."

Not only do the Staffords have four girls under the age of 4, including a 1-month-old, but Kelly's has had her own major health battle after having brain surgery last year to have a tumor removed.

sounds like her frustration is pretty justified

"Even after we knew it was false positive, our school told us they were not allowed back," Stafford wrote. "I was approached in a grocery store and told I was 'endangering others,' my kids were harassed and kicked off a playground, I was told I needed to wait in my car when trying to pick up food, and people closest to us had to get tested just so they could go back to work."

Kelly isn't blaming people or even local institutions.

"I blame the NFL for not holding themselves accountable. These are people's lives and livelihoods that are in those results in THEIR test sites," Kelly wrote. "Maybe we should be absolutely positive a person has COVID before releasing that info to the world."

Not only do the Staffords have four girls under the age of 4, including a 1-month-old, but Kelly's has had her own major health battle after having brain surgery last year to have a tumor removed.
I haven't seen any of this yet, but if these are direct quotes from her, it sure seems levelheaded and reasonable language on her part, IMO. 

Lions sign Adrian Peterson. Swift or Johnson or both must be very nicked up because that FA money needed to be spent on the defense.
Love the signing. I don’t trust that Kerryon will stay healthy and Swift will need some time to acclimate. I am loving the offensive side of the ball this year. 

Most dysfunctional moment ever while Dan Orlovsky played for the Lions?

probably that one time the OC fell asleep in the booth

:lmao:
That’s funny. That year when he got injured and they sign culpepper to play 4 days later so they “didn’t hurt drew stantons confidence” was....well what’s it do for your confidence when the coach says we think you’ll suck and then lose all your confidence so we got this guy who hasn’t played in a year to play this week. Later in the year it was Stanton who finally won a road game to stop that record streak. 

🤢They had already drafted Swift in second and with so many needs on defense maybe the most questioned Lions draft pick was their 5th round RB pick Huntley.   Who they cut and lost on waivers.

Good move.🤢

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they copy that article from The Onion?
JASON GAY

The Year 2020 Is Already Sideways. So Let’s Just Pick the Detroit Lions to Win the Super Bowl

By Jason Gay

Sep. 10, 2020 9:00 am ET

The NFL season kicks off Thursday, complete with pandemic protocols, two extra playoff teams and a change of scenery for Tom Brady. The Lions winning the Super Bowl would be on brand for a year as strange as 2020.

Appeared in the September 11, 2020, print edition as 'A Lions Super Bowl Would Be So 2020.'
I can generally find at least one article/pundit every single year who thinks the Lions will win the Super Bowl. Last one I recall was Jim Miller (former MSU/Bears* player who was allegedly a QB.)

#boldpredictions #hottake 

I hate being a fan of this team, I hate being a fan of this team, I hate being a fan of this team.
didn’t see any football today, went to a brisket bbq & followed on my phone

forgot to check the score after the 4th Q started bc ‘twas no reason to...it’s not like Mitch is gonna throw 3 TDs in the 4th (haha)

God this organization sucks.

So who will be the coach and GM next season? Probably Jay Gruden or something like that.

ETA: Freddie Kitchens. The Lions will hire Freddie Kitchens.

forgot to check the score after the 4th Q started bc ‘twas no reason to...it’s not like Mitch is gonna throw 3 TDs in the 4th (haha)
I think you enjoyed your day more than I did mine. 

So who will be the coach and GM next season? Probably Jay Gruden or something like that.

what’s the earliest an NFL coach has been fired in a season?

this guy could choke on apple sauce 

The 1969 Red Wings fired Bill Gadsby after they started the season 2-0 #truestorybro

The 2002 Tigers canned Phil Garner 6 games into the 162 game season

I’m honestly thinking tonight or Monday morning is a reasonable response

I think you enjoyed your day more than I did mine. 
my friends wife is a chef

she just bought a wood fired grill / smoker thing that has a wheel crank to lower the grill

made in Michigan, cost about the same as a nicely equipped Tacoma

she overheard him telling us about it

wife: I bought an adult toy with my adult money & it was worth every nickel.

Husband: who else needs more wine?

I hate being a fan of this team, I hate being a fan of this team, I hate being a fan of this team.
I feel for you, my friend... Truly.   I really thought Matt Patricia as HC would provide a stabilizing effect but I guess curse within Lions org must be real.  It seems that nothing goes right with them.  

Around Christmas time, Martha will call up Virginia Halas McCaskey to ask for advice. Each of them will be using rotary phones.

Fresh off his firing from the NYJ, Adam Gase will be introduced as both the 12th GM and 28th Head Coach of the Detroit Lions in January.

(only the 2nd GM/HC combo in Detroit history, and the first since 1950.)

Sheila Ford Hamp and Rod Wood will love it; 2-for-the-price-of-1, and most importantly...

...finally, a true Michigan man.

What blows me away.  Lions draft RBs Johnson in 2, Swift in 2, Huntley in 5 who they cut.   Then they Pick up a 35 year old APD who is better than all of them for nothing.  There is no vision.

What blows me away.  Lions draft RBs Johnson in 2, Swift in 2, Huntley in 5 who they cut.   Then they Pick up a 35 year old APD who is better than all of them for nothing.  There is no vision.
This. Quin has repeatedly shown he cannot find talent. Not saying Swift is not talented, but to pickup an aging 35 year old and have him be your best RB is unreal.

Also, 21 points given up in the 4th. Our "defensive guru" is horrible. I'm not even upset anymore. The family deserves everything they get. 

100% SOL. If this was a TV show, it would get cancelled. Oh, sure, twists and turns along the way, but any fan saw the final outcome before it was written.Lots of good (ADP, Hockensen), lots of mediocre (Cephus, Swift, possibly even Stafford), and of course enough terrible to make us wonder where in the top 10 draft picks we'll fall.

I’ve been watching the same Lions team for the past 40 years. Same story different season. 

Next offseason we move on to new coach/GM And we start over 
My 54th season as a fan.

The first 6 were the Joe Schmidt (43-34-7 .554 /0-1) years; last 4 straight were 2nd place finishes.

295-436-3 .404 /1-11 in 48 years since; 3 division titles.

The Lions are 7-13 in the playoffs since 1930, but 1-12 since I became a fan.

The new punter had an awesome debut.

#accentuatethepositive

The failed 55 yard FGA gave the Bears a short field and was THE turning point of the game. IDK how Stafford can take a sack on 2nd down there. I guess it’s debatable but he was out of the pocket (curious roll out right call by Bevel) & could have easily flicked it to the sidelines to keep them in more realistic range.

When it was 3-6 Stafford made a horrible throw on third down inside the 10. I can’t even begin to describe how bad his footwork was on that - legs crossed, wrong footed while his torso was twisted. 12 years and he still makes rookie mistakes. The double coverage throw to MJJ when there was no window there - following two predictable dive plays to ADP that got nutiin’ - was another WTF play. Backed up, now that’s the place to go through your progressions and maybe take a sack to run off more time. Instead be blows the game with an interception.

The defense was bad in the 4th but they also had 4CBs out with hamstring issues. They were still playing man to man, and we play more man coverage than any team in the NFL the last 3 years running. Rushing 3 men the whole 4th quarter. Does anyone think we have the personnel to run man to man even when everyone is healthy?

There are 9 Lions on the injury report with hammy injuries. How many times have we replaced the strength and the conditioning coaches in the last 5 years?

On a better note, I slow cooked spare ribs all day Saturday, had an amazing brisket with friends yesterday, and cooked about 20 quarts of chicken noodle soup last night using two whole chickens. Freezer is chock full of good eats for the week. Oh, and the weather is perfect. Screw wasting time thinking about this team. #iamtotallyoverher #livingmybestlife #movingon #this####ingteam

When the Lions drafted Swift in the early second rd I was not sure he was the right pick.  After he dropped the game winning TD I admit I was wrong..he fits the Lions scheme perfectly.

Also while I was watching the 4th quarter yesterday it felt like it was a replay because it seemed I had seen this very game many times before.

When the Lions drafted Swift in the early second rd I was not sure he was the right pick.  After he dropped the game winning TD I admit I was wrong..he fits the Lions scheme perfectly.

Also while I was watching the 4th quarter yesterday it felt like it was a replay because it seemed I had seen this very game many times before.
It's a little early to be burying D'Andre. He's a good pass catcher, everyone has a drop here and there. Truly unfortunate his first one was in dagger time. We'll see what he's made of, I remember how fumbling (& Coughlin's rigidity) ruined David Wilson, while Kareem Hunt went right back out there after fumbling early in his first game. He's not the bell cow and its never looked like he was going to take control of the job this year - Covid really impacted rookies and he's been dealing his hammy issue - and so it's not an exact comp. But they need to give him a lot of touches and routes in Green Bay to keep his confidence up. He's a hard worker, I think he will be OK. 

Agreed on the latter point. Crazy bc it's different players and different coaches and holy cow it just keeps happening over and over again. 60+ years of turtling up on offense, rushing only DL / playing prevent, playing NOT to lose. Across different eras and rule changes and yet here we are.

It's a little early to be burying D'Andre. He's a good pass catcher, everyone has a drop here and there. Truly unfortunate his first one was in dagger time. We'll see what he's made of, I remember how fumbling (& Coughlin's rigidity) ruined David Wilson, while Kareem Hunt went right back out there after fumbling early in his first game. He's not the bell cow and its never looked like he was going to take control of the job this year - Covid really impacted rookies and he's been dealing his hammy issue - and so it's not an exact comp. But they need to give him a lot of touches and routes in Green Bay to keep his confidence up. He's a hard worker, I think he will be OK. 

Agreed on the latter point. Crazy bc it's different players and different coaches and holy cow it just keeps happening over and over again. 60+ years of turtling up on offense, rushing only DL / playing prevent, playing NOT to lose. Across different eras and rule changes and yet here we are.
I was just kidding.  I felt bad for him as that is a tough start and he is known for his pass catching.

Caldwell is 7th in franchise history in wins (27 HCs) and 4th in winning percentage.

If you had to pick a Lions HC Mount Rushmore, it would be Potsy Clark (1935 Championship), Buddy Parker (2 titles), and George Wilson (1957 champs.) Those guys had between 47 & 53 wins, .689 and .667 for the first two.

Who is the 4th? Wayne Fontes is the all-time wins leader at 66 but had a losing record. Schmidt won 43 in 6 years, legit contender. JC is in the conversation. The only other coach above 29 wins is Monte Clark, and he was 18 games under .500. Out of 27 coaches, the only other ones with a winning record coached 2 seasons, 1 season, and 7 games.

Thats how pathetic this franchise is: it’s down to Wayne or JC for the last member of the HC Mt Rushmore. #truestory

Caldwell is 7th in franchise history in wins (27 HCs) and 4th in winning percentage.

If you had to pick a Lions HC Mount Rushmore, it would be Potsy Clark (1935 Championship), Buddy Parker (2 titles), and George Wilson (1957 champs.) Those guys had between 47 & 53 wins, .689 and .667 for the first two.

Who is the 4th? Wayne Fontes is the all-time wins leader at 66 but had a losing record. Schmidt won 43 in 6 years, legit contender. JC is in the conversation. The only other coach above 29 wins is Monte Clark, and he was 18 games under .500. Out of 27 coaches, the only other ones with a winning record coached 2 seasons, 1 season, and 7 games.

Thats how pathetic this franchise is: it’s down to Wayne or JC for the last member of the HC Mt Rushmore. #truestory

In a post full of incredible stats, this may be the most incredible. Sixty-six wins is the all time high. Amazing. 

I love also that no Lions head coach has ever gone on to be the head coach of another NFL franchise after leaving the Lions.

In a post full of incredible stats, this may be the most incredible. Sixty-six wins is the all time high. Amazing. 

I love also that no Lions head coach has ever gone on to be the head coach of another NFL franchise after leaving the Lions.
Oh YEAH? Well this one time one of our coaches went on to coach a service academy. And...and...another time our interim HC became a loser for another lousy NFL franchise. 

Our day is coming, man.

I think the Lions misunderstood their new motto "dagger time". Instead of putting it in the other teams back they fell on it themselves. When all your DBs are out and you still refuse to try and pressure the QB it's not going to end well 90% of the time.

@Da Guru deeply disappointed the thread title hasn’t referenced Dagger Time yet

Pencil doesn’t think coaching is the problem with the team not making plays in Dagger Time. As an offer of proof he laid claim to one of the biggest 4th Q plays in NFL history. You remember Malcolm Butler, right? It was only 5 years ago.

from Yahoo:

Patricia’s many blown leads

Patricia won’t admit that his coaching decisions could be causing the Lions to constantly blow late-game leads. And it truly is a constant thing.

In 2019 they blew an 18-point lead to the Arizona Cardinals which ended with a tie, and would blow another six third-quarter leads during the season. In 2018 they lost 48-17 to the New York Jets after returning an interception for a touchdown on the very first play of the game, which was so embarrassing they had to bury the game ball on the practice field.

In all, the Lions have blown 11 fourth-quarter leads since Patricia became head coach. That’s one-third of all games Patricia has coached. At this point, it’s either Patricia’s coaching, or a traveling football ghost visits the team every three games to make them blow a lead. You can decide which is more likely.

What are the odds after losing to GB today?  The  Lions will probably have to go 10-4 or at least 9-5 the rest of the way to have a chance at the playoffs.   PLAYOFFS?? Did I just say playoffs?

What are the odds after losing to GB today?  The  Lions will probably have to go 10-4 or at least 9-5 the rest of the way to have a chance at the playoffs.   PLAYOFFS?? Did I just say playoffs?
Not sure if a 65-3 loss is enough to get anyone fired. Heck, not sure if 0-4 at the bye is, though maybe?

Watch the Lions win or at least give enough "hope" that nothing happens (yet).

Not sure if a 65-3 loss is enough to get anyone fired. Heck, not sure if 0-4 at the bye is, though maybe?

Watch the Lions win or at least give enough "hope" that nothing happens (yet).
I wasn’t able to find a definitive answer but I think Green Bay’s franchise record is 55 (@County Stadium), and they’ve scored 52 or 54 at Lambeau. Think today will be a new franchise/stadium record.

Well, the only question now is whether Quinn and Patricia make it to the end of the season.

Time to start over. For the ... 57th straight season.

Users who are viewing this thread