What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (11 Viewers)

Saints feeling the same way...
I said he has earned everything this year, I thought it was poor form for the Vikings not give him a vote of confidence back when they played the Lions on Thanksgiving and the coaches said he would only guarantee that Case would start next week and continuex it the rest of the season. Before the Vikings though he was hot garbage, and the Vikings lucked into him, they signed him as a 3rd string qb. They fully expected to have Bridgewater back by week 8ish and hopes Bradford would stay healthy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Salary cap news sounds good, that might mean more than who the new coach is. FA's + draft picks have to hit if this team is stepping forward. Front defense 7 + power running back at the top of my list.

Extra things that would be nice: more OL depth, and why not bring in a vet to battle for the backup QB since that is always one play away from deciding the season (Philly did make the final four with Foles).

With a deep draft at rb, not much has been made of the fa rb class this year. Crowell seems to fit what we need between the tackles and I think will test the market (especially if Barkley is mocked there everywhere). Doubt Hyde leaves sf but I don’t like him much. Some underwhelming options would be Hill, west, Lacy, darkwa. Or with quinn and patrica it could be Lewis, Blount, burkhead. 

BobbyLayne said:
2 losses stick out when Tate was not involved. 

7 yards receiving against Minny and 14 yards against Cinci.  Watching those games I kept thinking why is Cooter not getting Tate more involved.  It is like they totally went away from Tate in those losses.
While I disagree with your posts about longing to bring Schwartz back, I get the why. We need someone who will get mad & light these guys up once in awhile (too much & it’s not effective.) Those two losses (+ Baltimore, another winnable game the first 3 quarters) were infuriating.

The one great weakness about Caldwell is he’s too Christ like. I mean that in all sincerity; he doesn’t react to...well, anything...because that’s just his core belief system. Now I respect coach Caldwell as a believer and a leader of men. But dang it dude, how about remembering angry Jesus when drove out the money changers? He even used a whip in John’s account. Brother, it’s OK to be angry and sin not. Flip them tables!

I don’t have a good sense on Patricia’s temperament, but I do think (hope) he’s going to do a better job on the accountability front. You don’t have to have an explosive temper to succeeed as an NFL coach but there should be a healthy amount of fear/respect if you don’t do your job.

I think Quinn is going to give his next coach leeway to pick his next OC, and I’m OK with JBC staying or leaving. I think a lot of his overarching script / game plan was held back by Caldwell. We need to 1) have a much better run game / blocking scheme, and 2) leverage that by using play action often and throwing on first down more. Stafford was excellent on deep balls in 2017 but the first down playcalling was the least effective in the entire league.

Patricia might keep JBC since it would free him up to spend more time on fixing the D, but remember he was an O-lineman and spent all of his early years coaching on that side. Gotta think a guy who’s spent the last 12 years scheming to stop offenses has his own ideas in what will or will not work.

While I disagree with your posts about longing to bring Schwartz back, I get the why. We need someone who will get mad & light these guys up once in awhile (too much & it’s not effective.) Those two losses (+ Baltimore, another winnable game the first 3 quarters) were infuriating.

The one great weakness about Caldwell is he’s too Christ like. I mean that in all sincerity; he doesn’t react to...well, anything...because that’s just his core belief system. Now I respect coach Caldwell as a believer and a leader of men. But dang it dude, how about remembering angry Jesus when drove out the money changers? He even used a whip in John’s account. Brother, it’s OK to be angry and sin not. Flip them tables!

I don’t have a good sense on Patricia’s temperament, but I do think (hope) he’s going to do a better job on the accountability front. You don’t have to have an explosive temper to succeeed as an NFL coach but there should be a healthy amount of fear/respect if you don’t do your job.

I think Quinn is going to give his next coach leeway to pick his next OC, and I’m OK with JBC staying or leaving. I think a lot of his overarching script / game plan was held back by Caldwell. We need to 1) have a much better run game / blocking scheme, and 2) leverage that by using play action often and throwing on first down more. Stafford was excellent on deep balls in 2017 but the first down playcalling was the least effective in the entire league.

Patricia might keep JBC since it would free him up to spend more time on fixing the D, but remember he was an O-lineman and spent all of his early years coaching on that side. Gotta think a guy who’s spent the last 12 years scheming to stop offenses has his own ideas in what will or will not work.
I always liked Schwartz and he took the toughest job in the NFL taking over an 0-16 team.  Truth be known had Stafford not played so bad down the stretch his last year he would have been here another 5 years.   Did he make mistakes..yes but the players liked him and my comparison was vs Caldwell.

While I don`t know much about Patricia other than what I have read he seems like he has what it takes.  Analytical  and smart while bringing a little more fire. Time will tell if I am right or wrong.

I always liked Schwartz and he took the toughest job in the NFL taking over an 0-16 team.  Truth be known had Stafford not played so bad down the stretch his last year he would have been here another 5 years.   Did he make mistakes..yes but the players liked him and my comparison was vs Caldwell.

While I don`t know much about Patricia other than what I have read he seems like he has what it takes.  Analytical  and smart while bringing a little more fire. Time will tell if I am right or wrong.
My first endorsement in this thread of Patricia replacing Caldwell was back in 2016. No one really knows how it will turn out, but since WCF passed, at least MFF has brought in professionals. Wood to his credit doesn’t meddle with operations. The Caldwell firing was so un-Lions like, and that’s a good thing. 9-7 & just missing the playoffs would have been just fine for William Ford Sr.

Guess we’ll never know what happened to force Bill Jr aside but from afar it looks like Martha & her daughters are doing a better job the last few years than the Ford men ever did in over half a century.

My gosh is that absurd to read again & realize...60+ years of futility & 55 under the same owners. But I think they may finally be headed in the right direction.

My first endorsement in this thread of Patricia replacing Caldwell was back in 2016. No one really knows how it will turn out, but since WCF passed, at least MFF has brought in professionals. Wood to his credit doesn’t meddle with operations. The Caldwell firing was so un-Lions like, and that’s a good thing. 9-7 & just missing the playoffs would have been just fine for William Ford Sr.

Guess we’ll never know what happened to force Bill Jr aside but from afar it looks like Martha & her daughters are doing a better job the last few years than the Ford men ever did in over half a century.

My gosh is that absurd to read again & realize...60+ years of futility & 55 under the same owners. But I think they may finally be headed in the right direction.
Well if the Jags win Sunday it will be only the Lions, Browns, and Texans who have not made it to the SuperBowl.  I don`t count the Browns as they actually won it as the Ravens and started over as expansion.  Same with the Texans.   So basically it will only be the Lions.

Well if the Jags win Sunday it will be only the Lions, Browns, and Texans who have not made it to the SuperBowl.  I don`t count the Browns as they actually won it as the Ravens and started over as expansion.  Same with the Texans.   So basically it will only be the Lions.
The NFL's official position is that the Ravens are an expansion franchise and the Browns were on hiatus during the late '90s. But yeah, you're right.

I have gotten away from pigeonholing people based on "trees" of coaching etc., and more toward the individual person actually taking the job. That said, the overriding vibe I get from New England is that they are ahead of the curve, not like the Lions installing the west coast offense after every team in the league had years to adjust to it. The most encouraging thing is what a reporter said was the difference between the Patriots and other teams. Most teams bring in a player and tell him what they expect him to do. The Pats bring him in and ask him what they do best and then create plays to exploit that strength. Too many stubborn coaches around here who think they know everything (when the results prove them to be mostly wrong). Now Quinn has to help the new HC out by increasing the talent level to where this can actually happen.

I have gotten away from pigeonholing people based on "trees" of coaching etc., and more toward the individual person actually taking the job. That said, the overriding vibe I get from New England is that they are ahead of the curve, not like the Lions installing the west coast offense after every team in the league had years to adjust to it. The most encouraging thing is what a reporter said was the difference between the Patriots and other teams. Most teams bring in a player and tell him what they expect him to do. The Pats bring him in and ask him what they do best and then create plays to exploit that strength. Too many stubborn coaches around here who think they know everything (when the results prove them to be mostly wrong). Now Quinn has to help the new HC out by increasing the talent level to where this can actually happen.
Kyle Van Noy is exhibit A. Guy was a bust here. There he plays the edge, ILB, coverage - guy has turned into a very effective & versatile player. Especially after Hightower went down, he’s become a huge part of their defensive scheme. They didn’t sprinkle pixie dust on him & morph him into a new player.

Kyle Van Noy is exhibit A. Guy was a bust here. There he plays the edge, ILB, coverage - guy has turned into a very effective & versatile player. Especially after Hightower went down, he’s become a huge part of their defensive scheme. They didn’t sprinkle pixie dust on him & morph him into a new player.
The galling thing was that as soon as you saw that that trade had happened, you just new the Pats would turn him into a very serviceable player. Hopefully, we could now be a team that manages to do that, particularly on D, if Patricia does indeed come 

So should we feel more encouraged about Patricia after that second half yesterday? They really shut the Jags down after those first two TD drives. Not sure how much of that was on Patricia -- and it's not like he was facing 2013 Peyton out there -- but I would love it if the Lions became the kind of team that makes good second-half adjustments.

So should we feel more encouraged about Patricia after that second half yesterday? They really shut the Jags down after those first two TD drives. Not sure how much of that was on Patricia -- and it's not like he was facing 2013 Peyton out there -- but I would love it if the Lions became the kind of team that makes good second-half adjustments.
In game adjustments are what I’m most looking forward to. 

One more thing, those other coaches had to come into outside management, here there is another NE guy as the GM. Those 2 still don't equal BB, but it gives them a step up on the other guys from NE.

I am just looking for a good in game HC that makes good decisions and adjustments. That was Caldwell biggest weakness.  This team is on the clock and needs to get to the next level.   Caldwell took a talented team and kept the level the same.  Hopefully Patricia can be the difference. 

I am just looking for a good in game HC that makes good decisions and adjustments. That was Caldwell biggest weakness.  This team is on the clock and needs to get to the next level.   Caldwell took a talented team and kept the level the same.  Hopefully Patricia can be the difference. 
His predecessor went 29-51 and he was 8 games over .500 with two playoff appearances (best winning percentage since Joe Schmidt 50 years ago), so he definitely brought them up a level. It just wasn't to the level they needed to be at.

I was in favor of firing Caldwell and am optimistic about Patricia, but Lions fans of all people should know that it can get (and previously was) much worse.

His predecessor went 29-51 and he was 8 games over .500 with two playoff appearances (best winning percentage since Joe Schmidt 50 years ago), so he definitely brought them up a level. It just wasn't to the level they needed to be at.

I was in favor of firing Caldwell and am optimistic about Patricia, but Lions fans of all people should know that it can get (and previously was) much worse.
His predecessor also took over the worst team in NFL history that was 0-16 the previous season. I firmly believe the team would have done at least the same if not a little better had Schwartz stayed on.

His predecessor also took over the worst team in NFL history that was 0-16 the previous season. I firmly believe the team would have done at least the same if not a little better had Schwartz stayed on.
I mean, we'll never know. But it's worth pointing out that, after bringing them out of the depths and making the playoffs in his third year, he proceeded to go 11-21 over his last two, with two horrific late-season collapses. So I'm not seeing much evidence that he could have done as well as Caldwell did.

Speaking of Schwartz, interesting that all the talk of him being this year's hot HC candidate has completely fizzled out. Did he not impress in his interviews? I must admit, part of me was really looking forward to him getting a job and putting the whole "Lions HC curse" to bed. Plus, although I didn't like the way it ended in Detroit, I'd be happy for him if he could show growth and succeed in his next role.

I mean, we'll never know. But it's worth pointing out that, after bringing them out of the depths and making the playoffs in his third year, he proceeded to go 11-21 over his last two, with two horrific late-season collapses. So I'm not seeing much evidence that he could have done as well as Caldwell did.

Speaking of Schwartz, interesting that all the talk of him being this year's hot HC candidate has completely fizzled out. Did he not impress in his interviews? I must admit, part of me was really looking forward to him getting a job and putting the whole "Lions HC curse" to bed. Plus, although I didn't like the way it ended in Detroit, I'd be happy for him if he could show growth and succeed in his next role.
You are right we will never know.   Really thought Schwartz was going to get another HC job this off-season but it looks like it will not happen. Wonder if Caldwell will get interviews.

You are right we will never know.   Really thought Schwartz was going to get another HC job this off-season but it looks like it will not happen. Wonder if Caldwell will get interviews.
Is he even trying? Dude is in his 60s; might not want to go back to the grind of being an assistant.

I could see him taking a year off and then maybe latching on as an Assistant HC somewhere. He's almost certainly not going to be a HC again, and I don't see him being an OC either. The only older guys who tend to get coordinator jobs are the ones who are really good Xs and Os guys (Musgrave, LeBeau, Turner, Kiffin). That's never been Caldwell's forte.

Callahan fired.

Don't know the background, but seems like a strange move unless, as Rotoworld points out, it foreshadows a similar fate for Cooter.

Personally, I'm indifferent on whether he stays. He's been a good, not great, OC. Maybe Patricia can get someone better. Also, while JBC deserves a lot of kudos for "taming" Stafford, I would assume at this point Stafford is enough of a vet that he's internalized those lessons and can adapt to a new OC just fine.

Callahan fired.

Don't know the background, but seems like a strange move unless, as Rotoworld points out, it foreshadows a similar fate for Cooter.

Personally, I'm indifferent on whether he stays. He's been a good, not great, OC. Maybe Patricia can get someone better. Also, while JBC deserves a lot of kudos for "taming" Stafford, I would assume at this point Stafford is enough of a vet that he's internalized those lessons and can adapt to a new OC just fine.
Pretty much where I’m at; Stafford isn’t a young guy trying to find his way. He can make all the throws, it’s not like you roll him out to take away half the field because you don’t trust he’ll go through his progressions. I’m not opposed to challenging Matthew a bit with “This is not about your level of comfort. This is about getting behind the new HC & showing leadership. We’re going to do things Coach Patricia’s way & we need everyone on the same page.” You might not say it that directly but that’s the subtext in my mind if they go a different direction.

If Cooter stays, that might work out. I feel like Caldwell bridled the offense. In the NFL you need to constantly keep the pressure on. I felt like most weeks they were trying to be overly cautious early or got too conservative if they did go up by 9 or more points. If Stafford is their best weapon, why let other teams off the hook? Keep after it & stay aggressive. Early in the season Matthew ran a fair amount of no huddle which doesn’t allow for down/distance substitutions. Let’s keep the other teams off-balance rather than react to what they’re doing.

Would like to see a bit of gunslinger Matthew in 2018, minus the lousy footwork & questionable mechanics that led to excessive turnovers in his first 6 years. Don’t really care if it’s Cooter or not writing the game script.

And fix the dang running game while you’re at it.

My neighbor (he’s literally down the block) is a big goofball. 

Former Detroit Lions TE Joseph Fauria opens up about depression

Wish him well as he transitions into acting/modeling. He just turned 28 last week & only within the last few months has he come to grips with accepting his NFL career is over. Don’t know him personally but by all accounts -  he works out at the same gym as a couple friends - he’s a genuinely good guy.

No part of that I want to see - his last reception 

Joseph Fauria was once an instant NFL success story, a undrafted tight end the Detroit Lions signed who scored seven touchdowns in his rookie season alone.

That was four years ago now, and the decline can happen quickly -- both on the field and in the life of the man inside the shell.

Fauria opened up recently on the battles he's had with an NFL comeback and the emotions of life surrounding that attempt. (Warning: This post contains some explicit language.)

Did You Know? A white rose is placed on the names of the victims of 9/11 on their birthdays. Today I woke up ungrateful to see another year. Unwilling to accept the love from my friends and family. All because I was unappreciative of the progress I've made in my life this year. So, I went for a walk and ended up at One World Trade Center. I walked around both of the massive pools and saw the white roses at the names of the men and women I shared a birthday with. I imagined how much their families would give to celebrate just One more birthday with their loved one. Suddenly, everything else didn't matter - all my worries and doubts were gone. Social Media is for the Highlights. It doesn't show how tough it is for a man to devote his whole life to one sport and have it be gone in a blink of an eye. And to then invest the majority of one's resources into trying to make a comeback only to have it not come to fruition. Depression and Anxiety are something I deal with on a daily basis. And I know I'm not the only one. There are a ton of current/former athletes out there that suffer from the same obstacles. BUT that is what they are - obstacles. Minor (some major) speed bumps on the road to success, happiness, and finding your worth without sports. I haven't caught a pass (Touchdown Btw ) in 3 years! There is no exact formula or timeframe to accepting it's over. But I know that when one door closes - another opens. And I am excited to begin a new chapter in my life in the entertainment industry. I recently signed with United Talent Agency and I'm excited to see what's to come. But not without some good old fashioned hard work. I believe sharing my story with others and inviting people to share theirs will invoke positive change within myself and awareness for those around me. And if I still have your attention... This is me officially saying BRING IT THE #### ON 28 I'm just getting started! PS. Tell me you love me you mofos! ITS MAH BDAY

IG post shared by Joseph Fauria (@bigjoe) on Jan 16, 2018 at 9:44am PST

Fauria came into the league in 2013 as an undrafted tight end out of UCLA. He was a Martin Mayhew signing after the draft, and he broke out with a touchdown in his very first game and had seven for the season, even though he caught just 18 passes for 207 yards.

Then he suffered a foot injury and had a lackluster 2014 season, catching six passes for 74 yards and one touchdown. The Lions tried to trade him but could not. They released him, and he bounced around with the Arizona Cardinals and New England Patriots in 2015 before fizzling out of the league.

He hinted at the idea of a comeback attempt last summer, but it never came through.

He is one of many players who struggle with the wild life on the fringe of a dangerous and emotional sport. Contracts are not guaranteed and half the jobs are meant to disappear by the time the season starts. Finding a new one often means shooting out to a random city across the country, and they all come with no guarantees.

A career can end by the time a man is 25 years old, and then it can be time to find a new path in life. It can take a toll and present new challenges, as Fauria is experiencing.

Hope joe has some success, liked his enthusiasm on the field. 

I think the Detroit receivers are good buy lows right now, except golladay. Looks like JBC will be back, so you know what to expect. I doubt they add anyone as they aren’t losing anyone, maybe a depth wr5 flyer. I just traded Corey Coleman for Ebron, in hopes that he can continue a slight uptick in stats. He seems like a guy who will show up in a contract year. If a late 1st is the price for Tate or jones right now, I bet an early 2nd would be considered come draft time. These guys should provide predictable wr2 numbers for a few years. Perhaps golladay commands more targets or gets more snaps, or we find the run game, none of which will affect the other WRs negatively imo. In fact some effective play action may really open up the offense. As much as we’d all like to see a workhorse back, I’m not sure we don’t keep a committee with quinn/Patricia in charge. 1st rd pick- we have other needs, 2nd rd pick the back we want may be gone. Free agency may be where we adress rb. Rambling on....

As much as we’d all like to see a workhorse back, I’m not sure we don’t keep a committee with quinn/Patricia in charge. 1st rd pick- we have other needs, 2nd rd pick the back we want may be gone. Free agency may be where we adress rb. Rambling on....
I don't care if they get a workhorse, I just want to see more talent (and fewer injuries). If they can pick up a couple decent guys and rotate them, that sucks for fantasy owners, but it's fine for the team. Other than Riddick (and maybe Abdullah if he can turn things around and stay healthy), I don't think they have the right pieces in place.

This may sound a little strange, but the Ravens might actually be a good model for the Lions. They threw a bunch of different RB assets together, so even when they lost Dixon, they could still use Collins, Allen and (when they were healthy) West and Woodhead. It wasn't pretty, but it was the only functional part of that offense.

Hope joe has some success, liked his enthusiasm on the field. 

I think the Detroit receivers are good buy lows right now, except golladay. Looks like JBC will be back, so you know what to expect. I doubt they add anyone as they aren’t losing anyone, maybe a depth wr5 flyer. I just traded Corey Coleman for Ebron, in hopes that he can continue a slight uptick in stats. He seems like a guy who will show up in a contract year. If a late 1st is the price for Tate or jones right now, I bet an early 2nd would be considered come draft time. These guys should provide predictable wr2 numbers for a few years. Perhaps golladay commands more targets or gets more snaps, or we find the run game, none of which will affect the other WRs negatively imo. In fact some effective play action may really open up the offense. As much as we’d all like to see a workhorse back, I’m not sure we don’t keep a committee with quinn/Patricia in charge. 1st rd pick- we have other needs, 2nd rd pick the back we want may be gone. Free agency may be where we adress rb. Rambling on....
Curious why not Golladay? Do you think his value is too high right now, or that he won’t be a factor? 

Mental illness or brain injury? Driven by voices to commit crime, Titus Young is in prison but still believes he could play in the NFL

When he first flamed out of the league, I was mad at Young. A guy with a lot of talent frittering away a career.

Now, though, I just see it as sad. Whether from CTE or chemical imbalance or something else, he is ill. It's no different than if his career had been cut short by a cancer diagnosis. I hope that he can eventually defeat his inner demons and find peace.

Curious why not Golladay? Do you think his value is too high right now, or that he won’t be a factor? 
Yeah I just think golladays value is higher than I’d like to go after. He will be a factor, and a healthy offseason will serve him well. A promising start to the year got derailed a bit by injuries. I don’t see him overtaking Tate or jones for targets yet but the time will come where we will part ways with one of them and golladay will take over, theoretically. In the meantime he will be a boom or bust play week to week. I worry about his ceiling as well, he wasn’t a young rookie iirc. I mean, if you can get Tate or jones for something like 1.10, or you could get golladay for what, 2.02? Current production vs theoretical value. 

So about that ...

Loser: The Detroit Lions

It isn’t official yet, but it’s been widely reported for weeks now that Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia will leave the organization to become the next head coach of the Detroit Lions. On surface level, it seems like great hire, because Patricia has been a part of the Patriots’ coaching staff since 2004, contributing in a variety of ways to the most consistently great organization in football history.

But what’s likely to be Patricia’s last game with New England was an absolutely brutal one. The Eagles went for 538 yards on 7.6 yards per play, the 12th-highest yards-per-play total of any team in any regular season or postseason game this year. New England forced one punt and wrangled one flukey turnover. Philadelphia converted on 10 of 16 third downs and additionally converted twice on two fourth-down attempts. Even though New England actually played exceptionally on offense—Tom Brady set a record for the most passing yardage in a Super Bowl, throwing for 505 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions—the Pats lost. The Patriots’ 613 yards are the most any team has ever gained in a loss in the history of the NFL, regular season or postseason.

Patricia’s defense performed so poorly that a team with Tom Brady at quarterback lost to a team with Nick Foles at quarterback. Congrats on your new head coach, Detroit.

So I'm guessing Jim Schwartz would be the better HC huh. Funny how great DCs don't always make good HCs.

One thing that bothered me is that Malcolm Butler did not play at all while the Pats secondary was being shredded by Foles.  Patricia had to be part of that decision...and even if he wasn`t Butler needed to be put in the game in the second half.

Any chance that Patricia brings Brian Flores as DC?  
Flores is being considered for NEP DC job (I'll believe the Schiano hire when I see it).. HIGHLY unlikely he'd follow Patricia, IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread