Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Da Guru

DETROIT LIONS/PATRIOTS 2019: Calvin bitter, wants signing bonus back.

more CB news from the freep:On the same day the Detroit Lions signed one new cornerback for their secondary, they hosted another who could have an even bigger impact. Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick made the first of what will be at least 10 draft visits, meeting with Lions coaches and touring the team’s Allen Park facility today. Kirkpatrick is widely considered the second- or third-best cornerback in the draft and is expected to be a first-round pick. At 6-feet-2 and 186 pounds, and given the thin state of their secondary, the Lions might have trouble passing on Kirkpatrick if he slips to the No. 23 pick in the first round. “I’d fit in great” as a Lion, Kirkpatrick said today. “I’d be hugging big (Ndamukong) Suh and Nick (Fairley) every day, because those are the guys that are going to put the pressure and make me look good as I am and make life easy. It’ll be easy to roll the dice.” Kirkpatrick did not have an interception as a junior in 2011, but he was a fixture on Alabama’s prospect-laden defense the last two seasons. He said playing under Nick Saban and in the Crimson Tide’s complicated scheme will help him transition to the NFL. “It gets you ready,” he said. “Pretty much, it molds you for this. It helps you stay focused on the small things that’s at task that you have to accomplish, and I feel like I did a great job of that with coach Saban, He was a great coach, great leader. He taught me a lot.” Kirkpatrick also visited with the Lions at the NFL combine last month, where he answered questions about his January arrest for possession of marijuana, a charge that later was dropped. He said at the time that it was a case of “me being in the wrong place at the wrong time” and that the drugs belonged to the driver of the truck in which he was riding. The Lions lost starting cornerback Eric Wright to free agency and agreed to terms with his potential replacement today, former Indianapolis Colts cornerback Jacob Lacey. They have four other cornerbacks on the roster: Chris Houston, Aaron Berry, Alphonso Smith and Don Carey.

Guys named Dre are usually very fast.

Draft needs: Detroit Lions

By Pete Prisco | CBSSports.com Senior NFL Columnist

It's not often the chic team in July turns out to be a good team in January, but the Detroit Lions pulled that off in 2011.

The Lions were picked by many to be a team on the rise before the season and lived up to the hype by earning a playoff berth.

Now comes the hard part: Getting better to win the NFC North, which is a tough task with the Green Bay Packers in the division.

The Lions have to improve a defense that ranked 23rd last season, including 30th in rushing yards per attempt, before they can be a real Super Bowl threat.

The offense is in good hands with Matthew Stafford at quarterback throwing to Calvin Johnson, but they played way too many shootouts in 2011. The draft has to be focused on improving that defense and also improving the running game on offense.

QB: Stafford finally stayed healthy in 2011 and he lived up to the expectations for a top overall pick. He threw for over 4,000 yards and showed he can carry an offense on his right arm. Stafford is a big-armed passer who has a great feel for the big play. The Lions were fourth in passing last season with very little help from the running game. The backup is Shaun Hill, who has been a starter at times during his career. Hill has shown he is capable of playing well for short periods of time. But it sure must be nice for the Lions to know they have a young star passer in Stafford.

RB: There is a lot of uncertainty at this position because of injury issues. Jahvid Best has concussion issues that could jeopardize his career. Mikel Leshoure missed his rookie season after suffering a torn Achilles tendon in August. He is expected back, but how much will the injury impact his ability to return to his old form? Kevin Smith, Keiland Williams and Jerome Harrison are the reserves. If Best can't play, look for the Lions to maybe draft a back at some point.

WR: In Calvin Johnson, the Lions have one of the best receivers in the NFL. He is a big target who can jump over corners and has the long stride to get deep. He is a cover nightmare for a secondary, even when they double him. Nate Burleson is a steady starter opposite him, but look for more from Titus Young in 2012. He flashed as a rookie and an off-season will really help him. There's not much after those three. Stefan Logan is more valuable as a return man.

TE: Brandon Pettigrew is a nice target for Stafford in the middle of the field. He's not a great down-the-field threat, but he's capable of sitting down in the zone or beating safeties and linebackers in man coverage. Tony Scheffler is a nice pass-catching compliment when they go to a two-tight formation. Will Heller is the third tight end.

OL: This is an area of the team that needs an upgrade. Left tackle Jeff Backus played better last season and will return after re-signing with the team. He is getting up in the years, so that has to be a concern. Right tackle Gosder Cherlius, a former first-round pick, is just OK, although he did improve last season. The interior of the line -- center Dominic Raiola and guards Stephen Peterman and Rob Sims -- is solid if not special. Raiola can sometimes have problems with big people on his nose. The backups are raw with little playing experience. Look for the Lions to draft a player early in the draft on the offensive line.

DL: The defensive line has a lot of talent, led by defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. But he wasn't as good last season as he was as a rookie. Teams used his aggressive approach against him way too much. It didn't help that he got labeled a dirty player. He is a still a top talent, so expect a bounce-back season from him. Nick Fairley flashed late as a rookie and should be the starter next to Suh. He is a strong, quick player. Corey Williams started last season, but I would imagine Fairley will take his spot. If he does, Williams will join Sammie Lee Hill to give the Lions one of the best inside groups in the NFL. Cliff Avril is a pass-rush force on the outside. The team did the wise thing by putting the franchise tag on him. Kyle Vanden Bosch plays hard, but he isn't as good as his reputation. Lawrence Jackson and Willie Young provide nice sparks off the bench at end.

LB: The Lions re-signed free agent Stephen Tulloch to play middle linebacker. He was very good after signing a one-year deal last year. Tulloch is a good run player who was better against the pass than expected. DeAndre Levy moved to the outside with Tulloch in the lineup. Levy didn't play as well as he did in the middle. Justin Durant, who also came over as a free agent, added some much-needed speed. There isn't much in reserve, although they like some of the younger players.

DB: This was a problem area all season for the Lions in 2011. And now they have to move on without Eric Wright, one of their starting corners who signed with the Bucs. That leaves either Alphonso Smith or Aaron Berry in as the starter for now with Chris Houston on the other side. Berry really struggled when he played last season. They need help here in the worst way. Louis Delmas is solid at free safety, but Amari Spievey really struggled at strong safety. They need to be better on the back end. Erik Coleman and John Wendling are the top reserves.

Lions plan on drafting a RB..again.

--Mikel Leshoure's legal troubles will not impact how the Lions draft for this simple reason - drafting a running back was already on their radar. They have spent a lot of time researching Oregon's LaMichael James and they are also intrigued by Boise State's Doug Martin.

"You never can have enough depth at running back," Schwartz said. Especially when there are big question marks around the top two on our depth chart - Jahvid Best (concussions) and Leshoure (coming off Achilles surgery and the legal trouble).

Edited by Da Guru

Javid Best update. Not good. Would not be surprised at all if Best retires before the season.

http://www.rantsport...e-part-in-otas/

:confused:
Just saying don`t be shocked if Best does not play again. Even is he does play I would not expect near the touches he had before his latest concussion. If LeShoure comes back healthy, and Kevin Smith with a full training camp under his belt, and the Lions already saying they are looking to pick up another RB, the slices of the pie will be much smaller.

Javid Best update. Not good. Would not be surprised at all if Best retires before the season.

Just saying don`t be shocked if Best does not play again. Even is he does play I would not expect near the touches he had before his latest concussion. If LeShoure comes back healthy, and Kevin Smith with a full training camp under his belt, and the Lions already saying they are looking to pick up another RB, the slices of the pie will be much smaller.
That would be a shame if it happened. Always been a Best fan and he's a good kid.

That would be a shame if it happened. Always been a Best fan and he's a good kid.
It wouldn't surprise me if he never played again either. Close to 6 months since his last hit & he still hasn't been cleared for contact. He's a real wildcard in fantasy drafts, because you should be able to get him for cheap & if healthy, he could be a difference maker.

It wouldn't surprise me if he never played again either. Close to 6 months since his last hit & he still hasn't been cleared for contact. He's a real wildcard in fantasy drafts, because you should be able to get him for cheap & if healthy, he could be a difference maker.

If Best does play I really do not see him getting more than 10 touches a game from here on in.

• Like 1

If Best does play I really do not see him getting more than 10 touches a game from here on in.

:goodposting: A 3 way split whether Best is part of it or not. Smith might be the better one to have since he seems to have fewer "issues", but not a huge role for any of them imo.

one plus for detroit fans is that you only have to play in minn one time this year which means there is only one week where this a realistic chance a stadium will collapse on your entire team and staff

Anyone know what kind of mark up to expect if trying to get some Lions-Texans tickets for Thanksgiving Day? Pretty tough to get?

Sun 9/9

St. Louis Rams

1:00 pm

Sun 9/16

San Francisco 49ers at San Francisco

8:20 pm

Sun 9/23

Tennessee Titans at Tennessee

Sun 9/30

Minnesota Vikings

Bye

Sun 10/14

Philadelphia Eagles at Philadelphia

Mon 10/22

Chicago Bears at Chicago

8:30 pm

Sun 10/28

Seattle Seahawks

Sun 11/4

Jacksonville Jaguars at Jacksonville

Sun 11/11

Minnesota Vikings at Minnesota

Sun 11/18

Green Bay Packers

Thu 11/22

Houston Texans

12:30 pm

Sun 12/2

Indianapolis Colts

Sun 12/9

Green Bay Packers at Green Bay

8:20 pm

Sun 12/16

Arizona Cardinals at Arizona

4:05 pm

Sat 12/22

Atlanta Falcons

8:30 pm

Sun 12/30

Chicago Bears

Sun 9/9St. Louis Rams 1:00 pmSun 9/16San Francisco 49ers at San Francisco 8:20 pmSun 9/23Tennessee Titans at Tennessee 1:00 pmSun 9/30Minnesota Vikings 1:00 pmByeSun 10/14Philadelphia Eagles at Philadelphia 1:00 pmMon 10/22Chicago Bears at Chicago 8:30 pmSun 10/28Seattle Seahawks 1:00 pmSun 11/4Jacksonville Jaguars at Jacksonville 1:00 pmSun 11/11Minnesota Vikings at Minnesota 1:00 pmSun 11/18Green Bay Packers 1:00 pmThu 11/22Houston Texans 12:30 pmSun 12/2Indianapolis Colts 1:00 pmSun 12/9Green Bay Packers at Green Bay 8:20 pmSun 12/16Arizona Cardinals at Arizona 4:05 pmSat 12/22Atlanta Falcons 8:30 pmSun 12/30Chicago Bears 1:00 pm

9-7

Sun 9/9St. Louis Rams 1:00 pmSun 9/16San Francisco 49ers at San Francisco 8:20 pmSun 9/23Tennessee Titans at Tennessee 1:00 pmSun 9/30Minnesota Vikings 1:00 pmByeSun 10/14Philadelphia Eagles at Philadelphia 1:00 pmMon 10/22Chicago Bears at Chicago 8:30 pmSun 10/28Seattle Seahawks 1:00 pmSun 11/4Jacksonville Jaguars at Jacksonville 1:00 pmSun 11/11Minnesota Vikings at Minnesota 1:00 pmSun 11/18Green Bay Packers 1:00 pmThu 11/22Houston Texans 12:30 pmSun 12/2Indianapolis Colts 1:00 pmSun 12/9Green Bay Packers at Green Bay 8:20 pmSun 12/16Arizona Cardinals at Arizona 4:05 pmSat 12/22Atlanta Falcons 8:30 pmSun 12/30Chicago Bears 1:00 pm

9-7
Yup it will be hard to get to last years 10-6, but maybe another wild card with 9-7.

9-7
Yup it will be hard to get to last years 10-6, but maybe another wild card with 9-7.
I say 11-5 if they stay somewhat healthy. This schedule isn't terrible.That said they better do something about the RB position. It's high time we find someone that can be trusted every down and can take some pressure off of our passing game. Kevin Smith isn't going to last the season. Best and Leshoure may not even be playing. That leaves Keiland Williams and Joquie Bell. Yeeesh.Then there is the Avril situation. I sincerely hope we do not pay him 10.6 million dollars. Average of about 6-7 million is what I think he is worth when you look at the average salaries in the league. I hope they trade him on draft day and get some picks or move up by trading him and their #23 pick.It's obvious we will be drafting a DB this draft. I trust Mayhew and Schwartz have their eyes on someone. Just don't know if they make a bold move for one of the top guys like they tried last year, or if they find some value in the rounds 2 and 3.

9-7
I say 11-5 if they stay somewhat healthy. This schedule isn't terrible.That said they better do something about the RB position. It's high time we find someone that can be trusted every down and can take some pressure off of our passing game. Kevin Smith isn't going to last the season. Best and Leshoure may not even be playing. That leaves Keiland Williams and Joquie Bell. Yeeesh.Then there is the Avril situation. I sincerely hope we do not pay him 10.6 million dollars. Average of about 6-7 million is what I think he is worth when you look at the average salaries in the league. I hope they trade him on draft day and get some picks or move up by trading him and their #23 pick.It's obvious we will be drafting a DB this draft. I trust Mayhew and Schwartz have their eyes on someone. Just don't know if they make a bold move for one of the top guys like they tried last year, or if they find some value in the rounds 2 and 3.
Hard games:ATLHouPhiSF2XGB2XChiAverage games:TennSeaEasy games:2XMinnStlAzJaxIndy

With 10 of their 16 games being in domes this year, Stafford and Calvin are both in for big years again!

4 of the 6 outdoor games are all Oct or earlier too. Jack is in Nov, likely nice. GB is in Dec, likely unfriendly.Pretty nice schedule for fantasy points though it would seem.

Hard games:ATLHouPhiSF2XGB2XChiAverage games:TennSeaEasy games:2XMinnStlAzJaxIndy

Nice breakdown. Getting back to 10-6 seems totally feasible when you look at it like that. Just need to win two of the 'hard' games. Edited by Frankbot

Any reason why they don't take a look at Cedric Benson?

I think they will if his value continues to plummet. Mayhew likes situations like this and using one year prove it contracts.
He seems like a perfect fit to me for those tough yards on early downs. They need a guy who can pick up some chunks when there's nothing there.

Any reason why they don't take a look at Cedric Benson?

I think they will if his value continues to plummet. Mayhew likes situations like this and using one year prove it contracts.
He seems like a perfect fit to me for those tough yards on early downs. They need a guy who can pick up some chunks when there's nothing there.
With Best and LeShoure being huge ???? I would love to see the Lions grab Benson.

Nice breakdown. Getting back to 10-6 seems totally feasible when you look at it like that. Just need to win two of the 'hard' games.
Win your easy games=6 winsSplit average=1 winWin a 1/3 of hard games=3 wins10 wins

My Picks For The Detroit Lions

Week 1

St. Louis Rams @ Detroit Lions

1-0

Week 2

Detroit Lions @ San Francisco 49ers

1-1

Week 3

Detroit Lions @ Tennessee Titans

2-1

Week 4

Minnesota Vikings @ Detroit Lions

3-1

Week 5

BYE WEEK

3-1

Week 6

Detroit Lions @ Philadelphia Eagles

3-2

Week 7

Detroit Lions @ Chicago Bears

4-2

Week 8

Seattle Seahawks @ Detroit Lions

5-2

Week 9

Detroit Lions @ Jacksonville Jaguars

6-2

Week 10

Detroit Lions @ Minnesota Vikings

7-2

Week 11

Green Bay Packers @ Detroit Lions

7-3

Week 12

Houston Texans @ Detroit Lions

8-3

Week 13

Indianapolis Colts @ Detroit Lions

9-3

Week 14

Detroit Lions @ Green Bay Packers

9-4

Week 15

Detroit Lions @ Arizona Cardinals

10-4

Week 16

Atlanta Falcons @ Detroit Lions

10-5

Week 17

Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions

11-5

List of players that have visited the Lions as of 4/18/2012.

Link

March 12 -- Brandon Brooks, OL, Miami (Ohio)

March 13 -- Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina

March 13 -- Kelechi Osemele, OT, Iowa State

March 14 -- Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State

March 19 -- Braylon Broughton, DE, TCU

March 20 -- Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

March 20 -- Amini Silatolu, OL, Midwestern State

March 21 -- LaMichael James, RB, Oregon

April 9 -- Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois

April 10 -- Zach Brown, LB, North Carolina

April 10 -- Kaelin Burnett, DE, Nevada

April 11 -- David Douglas, WR, Arizona

April 11 -- Kevin Murphy, OT, Harvard

April 13 -- Keith Tandy, CB, West Virginia

April 13 -- J.C. Oram, OL, Weber State

April 13 -- Dennis Kelly, OT, Purdue

April 16 -- Isaiah Frey, CB, Nevada

April 16 -- Derrick Coleman, RB, UCLA

April 17 -- Andre Branch, DE, Clemson

April 17 -- Josh Kaddu, DE, Oregon

April 17 -- Conroy Black, CB, Utah

April 18 -- Bryce Brown, RB, Kansas State

April 18 -- Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall

April 18 -- A.J. Jenkins, WR, Illinois

April 18 -- Lamar Miller, RB, Miami

April 18 -- Rishard Matthews, WR, Nevada

April 18 -- Tyrone Crawford, DE, Boise State (Crawford may have been part of local workout.)

The following is an incomplete list of the 17 players who took part in the Lions local workout day. The players in this group do not count toward the 30 pre-draft visits.

Edwin Baker, RB, Michigan State

Cordell Bell, G, Minnesota-Mankato

Ben Bojicic, C, Bowling Green

David Blackburn, TE, Central Michigan

Troy Burrell, WR, Wayne State

Danny Enright, TE/LS, Oberlin College

Jonas Gray, RB, Notre Dame

Chris Greenwood, CB, Albion

Josh Howard, S, Ball State

Jeremy Jones, S, Wayne State

Joe Long, T, Wayne State

Keshawn Martin, WR, Michigan State

Deon'Tae Pannell, G, Penn State

Justin Siller, WR, Purdue

Depending whether Crawford, a Windsor (Ontario) native, worked out as part of the local group, the Lions either have three or four of their visits remaining as of April 18. There's also a possibility the team has conducted unreported workouts.

Edited by hutchins929

I never thought Riley Reiff would fall to the Lions. :excited: :excited: :excited:

I thInk we passed on the next Steve Hutchinson for the next Jeff Backus

I never thought Riley Reiff would fall to the Lions. :excited: :excited: :excited:

Only a Lions fan would ##### about a gift like this dropped in his team's lap.

I agree, Loved the pick! The Lions HAVE to spend day two concentrating on the secondary though!!! A must, in my book!

I agree, Loved the pick! The Lions HAVE to spend day two concentrating on the secondary though!!! A must, in my book!
Agreed. I'm not sure how much further J. Jenkins is going to fall but if he isn't picked in the top 10 or so of the 2nd round, Det has got to start thinking of ways to move up and get him. He is a 1st round talent, perhaps top 15 talent, and they could land him in the early - mid 2nd. That would be huge. Edited by jurb26

Three time heavyweight state wrestling champ with a record of 121-1. His arm length is shorter than what you want out of a tackle, but this guy has great feet and technique. Solid pick for the Lions.

do we really know how good he will be. OT is a premium position in the NFL, teams routinely take the postion in the top10 and even reach, Why did he slide to 23?

do we really know how good he will be. OT is a premium position in the NFL, teams routinely take the postion in the top10 and even reach, Why did he slide to 23?
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=alligator+arms&hl=en&biw=1016&bih=645&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=SxASfgBFi6DTiM:&imgrefurl=http://happyorhungry.com/tag/alligator-arms/&docid=7OAXWXHeycpCrM&imgurl=http://happyorhungry.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/alligator-arms1-copy.jpg&w=515&h=694&ei=XayaT_yDHYK68ASUioHkDg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=109&sig=108435512800565537762&page=1&tbnh=131&tbnw=94&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:83&tx=78&ty=106

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=alligator+arms&hl=en&biw=1016&bih=645&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=SxASfgBFi6DTiM:&imgrefurl=http://happyorhungry.com/tag/alligator-arms/&docid=7OAXWXHeycpCrM&imgurl=http://happyorhungry.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/alligator-arms1-copy.jpg&w=515&h=694&ei=XayaT_yDHYK68ASUioHkDg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=109&sig=108435512800565537762&page=1&tbnh=131&tbnw=94&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:83&tx=78&ty=106
:lmao: I read somewhere that Joe Thomas and Jake Long both have shorter arms than Reiff.