What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Wallace to be Tendered, not tagged (1 Viewer)

Shutout

Footballguy
ESPN's Adam Schefter confirmed on SportsCenter that the Steelers won't use the franchise tag on restricted free agent Mike Wallace.

Though a sense emerged that the Steelers will keep Wallace after GM Kevin Colbert's comments at the Combine, beat reporter Ed Bouchette hasn't been so sure, and the tender will leave the Steelers susceptible to aggressive, receiver-needy "predators" with late first-round picks. Whereas Wallace would have been locked in with Pittsburgh on the franchise tag, he'll be targeted for restricted free agent offer sheets on the first-round pick tender.

-Rotoworld

So..teams like SF, NE, etc may be pulling up to burn a late 1st on Wallace?

Thoughts?

Wallace is as good as gone. Too many teams with late round 1st will find his combination of talent and age worth that pick, IMHO.

I'm not even sure I'd limit it to teams with late first rounders. Wallace is only 25 and has proven himself as one of the league's best receivers. I can't see why the Seahawks at #12 or the Eagles at #15 to replace DJax wouldn't be possibilities.

ESPN's Adam Schefter confirmed on SportsCenter that the Steelers won't use the franchise tag on restricted free agent Mike Wallace.

Though a sense emerged that the Steelers will keep Wallace after GM Kevin Colbert's comments at the Combine, beat reporter Ed Bouchette hasn't been so sure, and the tender will leave the Steelers susceptible to aggressive, receiver-needy "predators" with late first-round picks. Whereas Wallace would have been locked in with Pittsburgh on the franchise tag, he'll be targeted for restricted free agent offer sheets on the first-round pick tender.

-Rotoworld

So..teams like SF, NE, etc may be pulling up to burn a late 1st on Wallace?

Thoughts?
Wow.If Schefter is reporting it then I'm buying.

Bump Emmanuel Sanders.

Wallace is as good as gone. Too many teams with late round 1st will find his combination of talent and age worth that pick, IMHO.
its a first round pick and huge amt of money on a new contract.
Versus just paying Vincent Jackson the money and saving the pick. It's a debate.
Yeah, that is the interesting part. I agree with Jason Wood that he is out the door but it does make it interesting that you can sign a guy like VJAX or go with the pick.I guess that is why I am leaning towards "late first rounders" because I would think a Seahawks or a Bears would just pay money for a FA. But a team with multiple firsts (and one being late) might see it differently.

The WRs on the market are not interchangeable. Every team is going to have their own views on each, and likely value them much more broadly than we might.

I see a few mentions of VJax. But the most recent reports suggest Jackson could still be franchised, and he may ultimately not be on the market. There's also the possibility that lots of teams like Wallace more than Jackson, or there are of course the realities that even if Jackson leaves San Diego, he can only sign with one new team.

None of us are GMs, but I would personally happily pay Wallace and surrender a late 1st rounder if I were New England or a few of the other teams toward the bottom of the 1st round.

Versus just paying Vincent Jackson the money and saving the pick. It's a debate.
Yeah, that is the interesting part. I agree with Jason Wood that he is out the door but it does make it interesting that you can sign a guy like VJAX or go with the pick.I guess that is why I am leaning towards "late first rounders" because I would think a Seahawks or a Bears would just pay money for a FA. But a team with multiple firsts (and one being late) might see it differently.
An interesting scenario would be Cleveland. What if they traded the 22nd for Mike Wallace? That would significantly change the team.QB-Trade for Flynn or RGIIIRB-Resign Hillis, have Hardesty, maybe draft Trent RichardsonWR-Wallace will be the big play guy, Greg Little already is a possession guy with upsideTE-They have a good assortmentOL-Solid

An interesting scenario would be Cleveland. What if they traded the 22nd for Mike Wallace? That would significantly change the team.QB-Trade for Flynn or RGIIIRB-Resign Hillis, have Hardesty, maybe draft Trent RichardsonWR-Wallace will be the big play guy, Greg Little already is a possession guy with upsideTE-They have a good assortmentOL-Solid
I can't see Cleveland getting RGIII without surrendering both 1sts this year, and then some.

I can't see Cleveland getting RGIII without surrendering both 1sts this year, and then some.
Agree with that but Can definitely see the other stuff Benson is talking about that basically puts Wallace and Flynn on this team. :)

If he leaves, what does that do to his value?
Obviously depends on what team. New England it moves him to Calvin tier, 49ers and he plummets.
Not sure i agree with that. I think his current location is better than the pats. There really is only so many targets to go around. Welker, Gronk and Hernandez are all target hogs in their own right.
Yeah he won't be in Calvin's tier no matter where he goes because he's not as good of a wr

Any team who signs a RFA has to surrender THEIR original picks as compensation. The Browns cannot sign Wallce and give the 22nd (Atlanta) pick, they would have to surrender their original first round pick (4th pick). I haven't followed this but it sounds like the Steelers tagged Wallace with a first-round tender so the Browns would have to give up their first and third round picks so that won't happen.Some team picking late in the first round is the most likely candidate to pull the trigger but as others have mentioned their is a big pool of free agent WRs this year so its a cacluated gamble by Pittsburgh. If they lose him they have options and its possible that someone will fall in the draft and they could have two first-round picks.Its tough to replace the speed that Wallace brings so that is why Emmanuel Sanders could be a nice sleeper if Wallace is signed by another team.

Considering how many first rounders wash out, I'd expect the pursuit of Wallace to be expanded from just the lower picks in the first.

Is right of first refusal gone with the new CBA?

I don't think it's a bad move personally, if first refusal is still around. Steelers have cap issues, and if they can't afford him, at least they get a first and a third for their trouble (not bad for a 3rd round pick they've already gotten a ton of value from). If they can afford him after seeing what the market is like, no harm done and no hard feelings the Franchise tag might have generated.

Keep in mind, the restricted rights holders have an inherent advantage in negotiations. Every other team has to pay the picks AND the salary, the home team just has to pay the salary. Everybody seems to assume he's absolutely gone based on the tender, but I don't think it's that straightforward. This is EXACTLY the scenario those tenders are in place to support.

He isn't going anywhere. I find it hard to believe that somebody will sign him to a big enough contract that Pittsburgh won't match and give up a first round draft pick. I like Wallace a lot, but no way is he worth both huge money and a first round pick.

He isn't going anywhere. I find it hard to believe that somebody will sign him to a big enough contract that Pittsburgh won't match and give up a first round draft pick. I like Wallace a lot, but no way is he worth both huge money and a first round pick.
Sure he is. He's an upper tier talent and a sure-thing. Late 1st rounders bust all the time. He's absolutely worth it IMO, though if Pitt wants him back they'll beat any offer.

Sure he is. He's an upper tier talent and a sure-thing. Late 1st rounders bust all the time. He's absolutely worth it IMO, though if Pitt wants him back they'll beat any offer.
How is it so easy for Pitt to "beat any offer" if they are in cap hell, which they are?

How is it so easy for Pitt to "beat any offer" if they are in cap hell, which they are?
:goodposting:

I didn't say it would be easy. But if Pitt genuinely wants him back they'll make every effort to match or beat offers. If they don't want him back he'll leave.

Haven't seen any cap updates since the Ward release but when Ben restructured last week they were supposedly right at the 2011 cap. Throw in Ward's release ($3.4 mill) and it looks like the same for Farrior ($2.8 mill), Aaron Smith ($2.1 mill) and Kemoeatu ($4.35 mill). These would clear another $12+mill and seem like the right moves even if they weren't tight against the cap.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Wards release they are around $3-4 million UNDER the cap.

Haven't seen any cap updates since the Ward release but when Ben restructured last week they were supposedly right at the 2011 cap. Throw in Ward's release ($3.4 mill) and it looks like the same for Farrior ($2.8 mill), Aaron Smith ($2.1 mill) and Kemoeatu ($4.35 mill). These would clear another $12+mill and seem like the right moves even if they weren't tight against the cap.

Steelers fans having difficulty coming to grips here. If another team signs him (and I HIGHLY expect they will), Pittsburgh has the right to match, but is going to find it next to impossible to do so. Any team that signs him will know Pittsburgh's cap situation, and will structure the guaranteed money in such a way that PIT literally won't be able to afford to match.

People keep saying NE, but I just don't see it due to Welker being a FA. They're going to franchise him, obviously, but I don't think that would make a bunch of sense to sign Wallace to a big deal and give up a 1st round pick and have Welker (who would probably be miffed) unsigned past this season. On top of this, Ocho Cinco appears to be coming back, as cutting him would cost NE cap room.

Also, how long until Gronk and Hernandez are done with their rookie deals? They're either RFA's after this season, or UFA's in 2 years right? You've got to factor in resigning those guys in the near future too.

If the Pats are going to sign a big FA wr, I think it's more likely that they choose Lloyd (a McDaniels guy) or Wayne (someone I'm sure Belichick has a great deal of respect for). Those guys should be cheaper $$$$ wise and you don't have to give up a 1st rounder for them.

Any team who signs a RFA has to surrender THEIR original picks as compensation. The Browns cannot sign Wallce and give the 22nd (Atlanta) pick, they would have to surrender their original first round pick (4th pick). I haven't followed this but it sounds like the Steelers tagged Wallace with a first-round tender so the Browns would have to give up their first and third round picks so that won't happen.
Technically true although I believe it is only a first under the new CBA. Pittsburgh could decide that the offer is good enough to accept. I guess it depends on them getting cap relief next year. If they can't afford to sign him next year and/or they feel that a San Fran or New England are serious about matching his tender, they might be tempted to take the Browns offer.That said, I can't see them agreeing to trading him to a divisional rival. There is precident for this type of trade. San francisco traded Brandon Lloyd to Washington for a 2nd and 4th even though he was tendered as a 1st and 3rd.

Steelers fans having difficulty coming to grips here. If another team signs him (and I HIGHLY expect they will), Pittsburgh has the right to match, but is going to find it next to impossible to do so. Any team that signs him will know Pittsburgh's cap situation, and will structure the guaranteed money in such a way that PIT literally won't be able to afford to match.
Agreed. Lots of denial by Steelers fans here. If Pittsburgh was 100% committed to keeping him they would of franchised him. But it appears to me that their cap situation is so bad they can't or don't want to do that.This seems like a longshot gamble by Pittsburgh. It looks like they're hoping a robust FA WR market will result in no team wanting to forfeit a 1st round pick for Wallace, so he stays with Pittsburgh at an affordale $2.3 million or whatever this season.

The other thing that everyone seems to be forgetting. This isn't fantasy football, owning an NFL team is a business. If you take into account the amount of money that the Steelers have already restructured, they are messing with their future financial ability as well. Take the X's and O's out of the equation and look at it from an owners stand point. Which, in the end is the person that will hold the Coach and GM accountable in the long run.

We shall see. I'll be surprised if Wallace leaves. The team owner and GM have said that keeping Mike Wallace is a priority. The Steelers have restructured contracts and are in the process of releasing aging vets to get well below the cap. Let's walk through the process here... Could Wallace sign a new deal with the Steelers before FA begins? YesCould they lose Wallace to some crazy offer in restricted FA? YesDoes Wallace want to stay in Pittsburgh? Who knows.Would Wallace allow Bus Cook to enter a contract that would preclude the Steelers from matching (loaded 2012 salary rather than signing bonus)? Who knows but I suspect the Steelers have been in touch regarding this possibility. Could teams pass on signing Wallace for a 1st rounder and instead decide to sign a comparable FA? Yes Could Wallace decide none of the offers are appealing and his best bet is to play out his restricted FA offer and hit the open market next year or sign a 2-year deal (like Jermichael Finley) and hit the open market in 2014 when the new TV money hits? Yes

The other thing that everyone seems to be forgetting. This isn't fantasy football, owning an NFL team is a business. If you take into account the amount of money that the Steelers have already restructured, they are messing with their future financial ability as well. Take the X's and O's out of the equation and look at it from an owners stand point. Which, in the end is the person that will hold the Coach and GM accountable in the long run.
They are definitely taking a fairly large gamble, predicated on the idea that there will be significantly increased cap ceiling in the next couple years.

According to FBG Mobile news the Steelers are almost $8 million under the cap right now.

According to FBG Mobile news the Steelers are almost $8 million under the cap right now.
Rookies + filling out roster=5 million probably. Wallace will cost at least 7 million a season.

Rookies + filling out roster=5 million probably. Wallace will cost at least 7 million a season.
True but the Steelers are not done cleaning house. They can make the room to keep Wallace as long as they want to and the offer isn't completely out of line.

Agreed. Lots of denial by Steelers fans here. If Pittsburgh was 100% committed to keeping him they would of franchised him. But it appears to me that their cap situation is so bad they can't or don't want to do that.This seems like a longshot gamble by Pittsburgh. It looks like they're hoping a robust FA WR market will result in no team wanting to forfeit a 1st round pick for Wallace, so he stays with Pittsburgh at an affordale $2.3 million or whatever this season.
I am sure that other team's will know what Pitt's cap situation is at that moment if they try to pry Wallace away. Now. If Pitt was really serious about keeping Wallace - they would also have a "cushion" of players, maybe 2-3 that they may still have on the roster, but have already decided when push comes to shove, they might have to release these guys if an offer comes in (which is likely). So if a team really really wants him, they are really gonna have to shoot the moon to ensure they can actually grab him. While they probably should have franchised him, I think this might be the smart move to make.

What must also be taken into account is that they will have the same decision to make next year with Antonio Brown. They might be deciding that they want a future with Brown and a 1st rounder then with Wallace with a big contract. They could then try signing Brown on a more team friendly deal this year and look for a cheaper vertical threat in the draft.

That said, I'll say that smart teams (i.e. teams picking near the bottom) will think twice about giving up a big FA contract AND a first round pick. Especially a big contract to a WR. Historically, that has been short-sighted and bad business... Also, there is the concern that a team could put the time and resources towards a new contract only to have PIT match it after making more room.

Can't a team add a poison pill to Wallace's new deal in order to prevent him from re-signing with Pittsburgh?

I didnt read the whole thread so excuse me if this was already addressed

Poison pills were basically outlawed with the new CBA.

I fail to see how Steeler fans need to "come to grips" with anything. Wallace is restricted and the Steelers are in the process of getting under the cap far enough to try to match any reasonable offers to him. After the Ward/Smith releases they are probably practically there, save deals where some team with more money than sense goes dropping a "double digit million"/year contract on his agent's desk. One of Farrior/Foote and Kemoeatu are also likely dead men walking so that's even more money to be available soon.

Until there are offers on the table from other teams this is all verbal masturbation. The Steelers presently hold just about every card. Wallace can't just sign the first contract someone slides across a table to him leaving the Steelers no recourse. They will have the option to match.

If they want to retain Wallace, they will. If the don't, they will not.

What's more...if a team were to get nuts and offer him some kind of "roster bonus" that'll put him at, like, 12 million for 2012 then I'm thinking the Steelers front office will wish him well, watch him go, and happily take the first rounder. Mike is good, but he isn't a 12 million dollar a year player. He probably isn't even a 9 million dollar a year player at this stage of his career(hence why they aren't tagging him, since by the time they finish roster cuts they probably could).

The only thing the Steelers are letting get out of their own control in this situation is that they're willing to let the market set Wallace's price, rather than just go ahead and guarantee they pay him 9+million by tagging him. Time will tell whether that was worth the gamble or not.

What also isn't being considered/brought up much is that Wallace is probably going to be able to make a far greater sum in a year as a UFA than he will now as a RFA in a strong WR free agent class, so unless a team reeeally blows his doors off, and pays him near what his agent determines he may get in a year, I doubt he'd be interested in signing a multi-year contract anyway. He probably is wishing the Steelers would franchise him. That way he could cash in twice.

True but the Steelers are not done cleaning house. They can make the room to keep Wallace as long as they want to and the offer isn't completely out of line.
Steelers released A. Smith ($2.1 mil) and C. Kemoeatu ($5.3 mil), these moves freed up an additional 7.4 million towards 2012 cap.

Poison pills were basically outlawed with the new CBA.

I fail to see how Steeler fans need to "come to grips" with anything. Wallace is restricted and the Steelers are in the process of getting under the cap far enough to try to match any reasonable offers to him. After the Ward/Smith releases they are probably practically there, save deals where some team with more money than sense goes dropping a "double digit million"/year contract on his agent's desk. One of Farrior/Foote and Kemoeatu are also likely dead men walking so that's even more money to be available soon.

Until there are offers on the table from other teams this is all verbal masturbation. The Steelers presently hold just about every card. Wallace can't just sign the first contract someone slides across a table to him leaving the Steelers no recourse. They will have the option to match.

If they want to retain Wallace, they will. If the don't, they will not.

What's more...if a team were to get nuts and offer him some kind of "roster bonus" that'll put him at, like, 12 million for 2012 then I'm thinking the Steelers front office will wish him well, watch him go, and happily take the first rounder. Mike is good, but he isn't a 12 million dollar a year player. He probably isn't even a 9 million dollar a year player at this stage of his career(hence why they aren't tagging him, since by the time they finish roster cuts they probably could).

The only thing the Steelers are letting get out of their own control in this situation is that they're willing to let the market set Wallace's price, rather than just go ahead and guarantee they pay him 9+million by tagging him. Time will tell whether that was worth the gamble or not.

What also isn't being considered/brought up much is that Wallace is probably going to be able to make a far greater sum in a year as a UFA than he will now as a RFA in a strong WR free agent class, so unless a team reeeally blows his doors off, and pays him near what his agent determines he may get in a year, I doubt he'd be interested in signing a multi-year contract anyway. He probably is wishing the Steelers would franchise him. That way he could cash in twice.
All the reports are is that Steelers plan to only tender Wallace, not use the Tag.I think Steelers will have the ability to match any deal that comes out if they really wanted to; whether they actually do or not remains to be seen (depending on the severity of the front loaded contract).

I am sure that other team's will know what Pitt's cap situation is at that moment if they try to pry Wallace away. Now. If Pitt was really serious about keeping Wallace - they would also have a "cushion" of players, maybe 2-3 that they may still have on the roster, but have already decided when push comes to shove, they might have to release these guys if an offer comes in (which is likely). So if a team really really wants him, they are really gonna have to shoot the moon to ensure they can actually grab him. While they probably should have franchised him, I think this might be the smart move to make.
Steelers released Hines Ward ($4.6 MIL), Chris Kemoeatu ($5.3 MIL) and Aaron Smith ($2.1 MIL) within the past 24 hrs.Reports are that Farrior ($3.8 mil) will be released as well although that is not yet confirmed yet.

All the reports are is that Steelers plan to only tender Wallace, not use the Tag.
I know. And I think the fact that they won't franchise tells us how much they think he is really worth: less than the tag amount(which I think is 9.6 mil).
I think Steelers will have the ability to match any deal that comes out if they really wanted to; whether they actually do or not remains to be seen (depending on the severity of the front loaded contract).
This is pretty much exactly what I was trying to point out, I just did it windier. :) The Steelers will probably have the ability to do whatever they want with Wallace from a monatery standpoint. I think they want to keep Mike....but they aren't keeping him at over 9 million. If a team offers that, they'll let take the pick, shake his hand and let him walk.

All the reports are is that Steelers plan to only tender Wallace, not use the Tag.
I know. And I think the fact that they won't franchise tells us how much they think he is really worth: less than the tag amount(which I think is 9.6 mil).
I think Steelers will have the ability to match any deal that comes out if they really wanted to; whether they actually do or not remains to be seen (depending on the severity of the front loaded contract).
This is pretty much exactly what I was trying to point out, I just did it windier. :) The Steelers will probably have the ability to do whatever they want with Wallace from a monatery standpoint. I think they want to keep Mike....but they aren't keeping him at over 9 million. If a team offers that, they'll let take the pick, shake his hand and let him walk.
We're on the same page GB :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread