What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should voters be required to show ID? (1 Viewer)

medium aristotle

Footballguy
The justice department struck down a Texas law this week that would have required voters to show identification on the grounds that it was discriminatory against minorities: My link

Today, the infamous James O'Keefe, released a video showing just how ridiculously easy it is to commit voter fraud:

O'Keefe Video exposes voter fraud

Last edited by a moderator:
I look forward to his expose video on how easy it is to commit tax fraud.

Income: $0

No, not unless they are free and can be acquired outside of normal business hours.

yes, but lets be honest. 85 year old gertrude checking my id is not really the last bastion of defense for voter fraud.

What are the "arguments" against people validating their identity at the voting booths? I've never understood why this is an issue.

Why do I get this bad feeling Tim's gonna be coming in here and attempting to argue that identifying yourself isn't "fair"?

What are the "arguments" against people validating their identity at the voting booths? I've never understood why this is an issue.
There's no good argument against people having to validate their identity at the voting booth.The argument is about whether they must do so by producing a government-issued identification card, or whether they may do so by some other means (Costco card, phone bill, oral affirmation, etc.).

There's no good argument against people having to validate their identity at the voting booth.The argument is about whether they must do so by producing a government-issued identification card, or whether they may do so by some other means (Costco card, phone bill, oral affirmation, etc.).
Why do people think "valid" methods of authentication include a Costco card or "my word"? :lmao:

Why do people think "valid" methods of authentication include a Costco card or "my word"? :lmao:
We accept that under the penalty of perjury in legal matters all the time. You think sneaking in 1 extra vote to tip the scales is that much more consequential?

We accept that under the penalty of perjury in legal matters all the time. You think sneaking in 1 extra vote to tip the scales is that much more consequential?
Has nothing to do with degree to me. I don't care if it's 1 or 100 votes. It's the concept I find dumb especially given all the shenanigans in our political system.ETA: Can we at least compare apples to apples here please?

Has nothing to do with degree to me. I don't care if it's 1 or 100 votes. It's the concept I find dumb especially given all the shenanigans in our political system.
The "concept" is what we currently use in trials, affidavits, filing your taxes, and any number of other things. We believe that perjury and attestation mean something. Committing voter fraud isn't particularly different because committing fraud in general isn't particularly different. What prevents people from doing it is that it carries a fairly serious legal liability.

Has nothing to do with degree to me. I don't care if it's 1 or 100 votes. It's the concept I find dumb especially given all the shenanigans in our political system.
The "concept" is what we currently use in trials, affidavits, filing your taxes, and any number of other things. We believe that perjury and attestation mean something. Committing voter fraud isn't particularly different because committing fraud in general isn't particularly different. What prevents people from doing it is that it carries a fairly serious legal liability.
And unlike tax fraud or perjury, there is likely to be absolutely no benefit from doing it.

You really don't see the differences?

The judge said this:

...data that show over 600,000 registered voters do not have either a license or personal identification card—and that a disproportionate share of those registered voters are Hispanic...
Does the judge make any deduction from that? There's an assumption that these are all voting eligible US Citizens.You can register to vote by simply filling out a form with your name and address. For ID number you can put NONE and they'll register you and give you a number. Registering to vote is on the honor system.

Why don't you explain them to me?

Dems would lose most elections if ID was required
There needs to be a line though. If you make voting too difficult then only old retired people would vote. You and I would never be able to step foot on somebody's lawn again.

Kinky.

The reality is there is no proof at all of any kind of widespread voter fraud no matter how hard the conservatives look for it. None. The few found, and we are talking a handful out of 100's of thousands of votes, usually end up having an innocent enough explanation that lies in human error. So there is no need for this. It is just a way to keep voters that tend to vote Democrat, like students and minorities, from voting. That's it. Simply voter suppression.

The reality is there is no proof at all of any kind of widespread voter fraud no matter how hard the conservatives look for it. None. The few found, and we are talking a handful out of 100's of thousands of votes, usually end up having an innocent enough explanation that lies in human error. So there is no need for this. It is just a way to keep voters that tend to vote Democrat, like students and minorities, from voting. That's it. Simply voter suppression.
How does it keep students and minorities from voting?

Why don't you explain them to me?
Something tells me it won't matter, but, I've been part of trials before where my "word" wasn't good enough when it came to my identity. It wasn't good enough for an affidavit either. I always had to verify my identity by providing ID or other personal information.

And unlike tax fraud or perjury, there is likely to be absolutely no benefit from doing it.
There's no benefit to influencing the future of the most powerful country in the world?

Something tells me it won't matter, but, I've been part of trials before where my "word" wasn't good enough when it came to my identity. It wasn't good enough for an affidavit either. I always had to verify my identity by providing ID or other personal information.
I'm talking about more than verifying your identity.

Here's how voter fraud cases tend to go:

Columbia, SC (January 25, 2012) - S.C. State Election Commission Executive Director Marci Andino testified today before the House Election Laws Subcommittee on recent claims that more than 900 votes had been cast in the name of dead voters.

While the SEC has not yet been provided with all the information on which the claims are being made, the Attorney General's office has provided a small sample - six names from Abbeville County. A review of the voter registration lists and signatures on the poll lists from the elections in question revealed that of these six:

One was an absentee ballot cast by a voter who then died before election day;

Another was the result of an error by a poll worker who mistakenly marked the voter as Samuel Ferguson, Jr. when the voter was in fact Samuel Ferguson, III;

Two were the result of stray marks on the voter registration list detected by the scanner - again, a clerical error;

The final two were the result of poll managers incorrectly marking the name of the voter in question instead of the voter listed either above or below on the list.

With the presidential primary looming on January 21, the SEC was compelled to find out if any of the 37,000 voters identified by DMV as deceased had requested absentee ballots for the primary. This research found 10 voters in 8 different counties applied for absentee ballots. The SEC immediately asked local election officials to provide us with copies of the voter registration and absentee applications signed by these voters. In every case, the signatures on these forms were matched, and each of these ten voters was confirmed to be alive.

"Charges of voter fraud are serious," Andino said. "If even one fraudulent vote has been cast, that is one too many; and we hope that the Attorney General and SLED will investigate any instances of voter fraud and prosecute the offenders to the fullest extent allowed by law. We stand ready to assist in those efforts."

SC Votes
It should be noted in a followup the SC Election Commission has checked another 200+ of these and found no fraud with them either. Shocking.

There's no benefit to influencing the future of the most powerful country in the world?
It is exceeding rare that an election is close enough that this sort of micro-scale voter fraud would make a difference, and it's impossible to know in advance whether any particular election will be that close.

How does it keep students and minorities from voting?
Students, minorities and the elderly are the least likely to have state issued ID's. Especially driver licenses. Further these same states are making it harder to actually get those ID's for those folks. Been plenty of reports on it.

I'm talking about more than verifying your identity.
Ok, we were talking about verifying identity. Not sure what you were talking about :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread