What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Martellus Bennett - playing musical chairs with the NFL (1 Viewer)

This is going to be HUGE for Bennett. Finally on a focussed team with a HC that will get the best from him and clearly the best TE on the team. A 6'6" giant that you can never double (no way teams double him and not Nicks/Cruz). Signs a one-year deal (e.g., will be playing ball out to earn a big payday next year).

This may be one of the best FA signings there has been!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to be HUGE for Bennett. Finally on a focussed team with a HC that will get the best from him and clearly the best TE on the team. A 6'6" giant that you can never double (no way teams double him and not Nicks/Cruz). Signs a one-year deal (e.g., will be playing ball out to earn a big payday next year). This may be one of the best FA signings there has been!
lol.... this guy has been a whole lot of nothing since entering the league.Sure he was buried behind Witten, but showed very little when given the opportunity.Easily the most hyped and most under achieving TE of his generation.

upside only. although, he has the coaching staff around him to make him a better player than he has shown thusfar.

Considering that the bums the Giants have had at TE the last few years have been borderline relevant in FF terms you have to like Bennett's chances. No shame in being locked behind a future HOFer, and he's still younger than Jimmy Graham too.

This is going to be HUGE for Bennett. Finally on a focussed team with a HC that will get the best from him and clearly the best TE on the team. A 6'6" giant that you can never double (no way teams double him and not Nicks/Cruz). Signs a one-year deal (e.g., will be playing ball out to earn a big payday next year). This may be one of the best FA signings there has been!
lol.... this guy has been a whole lot of nothing since entering the league.Sure he was buried behind Witten, but showed very little when given the opportunity.Easily the most hyped and most under achieving TE of his generation.
:goodposting: As a Dallas fan, I'm glad he's gone. Still hasn't matured or achieved since coming into the league. Good luck Giants fans!

Link

The team might not be done shopping for tight ends. Someone informed of their thinking said Tuesday Bennett wasn't the only free agent at the position they were targeting. The person requested anonymity because the team doesn't make its strategy on such matters public.

The Giants must find replacements for both Ballard and Beckum, both of whom tore their ACLs in the Super Bowl. Bennett is a very good blocker who could play the more traditional tight-end spot Ballard filled last year. It's possible the team might now look at more of a pass catcher to line up in the slot or as a "move" tight end, which is how the Giants have used Beckum.

He should be plenty motivated to get a big payday after the season. If he isn't and stinks no big loss. I'm pretty confident in the Giants ability to get the most out of a TE. And I'm confident in the Cowboys ability to underachieve. I think the change to the Super Bowl Champs does him good.

This is going to be HUGE for Bennett. Finally on a focussed team with a HC that will get the best from him and clearly the best TE on the team. A 6'6" giant that you can never double (no way teams double him and not Nicks/Cruz). Signs a one-year deal (e.g., will be playing ball out to earn a big payday next year).

lol.... this guy has been a whole lot of nothing since entering the league.Sure he was buried behind Witten, but showed very little when given the opportunity.

Easily the most hyped and most under achieving TE of his generation.
:goodposting: As a Dallas fan, I'm glad he's gone. Still hasn't matured or achieved since coming into the league.
Sounds like most of the Cowboy's squad and their owner.

Link

The team might not be done shopping for tight ends. Someone informed of their thinking said Tuesday Bennett wasn't the only free agent at the position they were targeting. The person requested anonymity because the team doesn't make its strategy on such matters public.

The Giants must find replacements for both Ballard and Beckum, both of whom tore their ACLs in the Super Bowl. Bennett is a very good blocker who could play the more traditional tight-end spot Ballard filled last year. It's possible the team might now look at more of a pass catcher to line up in the slot or as a "move" tight end, which is how the Giants have used Beckum.
this overstating B's role considerably. Beckum was *lightly* used. He was targeted all of 10 times last year (18x the year before that while only 10but x his rookie year). His blocking never improved and prone to lapses in concentration. he wasn't on the field much at all and seemed to squander the PT he got with injuries to players ahead of him.bennett is a wildcard here but he has the physical tools to stay on the field. i could see them still go after boss to pair with him.

Link

this overstating B's role considerably. Beckum was *lightly* used. He was targeted all of 10 times last year (18x the year before that while only 10but x his rookie year). His blocking never improved and prone to lapses in concentration. he wasn't on the field much at all and seemed to squander the PT he got with injuries to players ahead of him.bennett is a wildcard here but he has the physical tools to stay on the field. i could see them still go after boss to pair with him.
Beat writer Mike Garafolo, says there doesn't seem to be interest in Boss. Jacob Tamme isn't on the radar. He's said Dallas Clark makes sense but hasn't come out and said the Giants are looking at him.

lol.... this guy has been a whole lot of nothing since entering the league.Sure he was buried behind Witten, but showed very little when given the opportunity.

:goodposting: As a Dallas fan, I'm glad he's gone. Still hasn't matured or achieved since coming into the league.
Sounds like most of the Cowboy's squad and their owner.
:lol: I like it for the NYG and Bennett. It adds another TE to the dime-a-dozen, fantasy TEBC, list.

Mike Pope is one of if not the best TE coach in football. If Bennett has talent, I firmly believe that Pope will get the most out of him.

Two-cent head.
Absolutely. I don't see him ever becoming more than a low end fantasy TE. A better blocker than pass catcher, immature and not focused on football, IMO doesn't and never will "get it" when it comes to understanding what it takes to really be successful.Note that the Giants signed him to a 1-year deal. Seems like a stopgap signing to me, and I wouldn't be surprised if what this really says is that they found something they liked in Ballard and he remains their main guy once recovered from the ACL.

Dont get too excited. Looking at the guys size and physical tools will get you excited but dont let that fool you.

1. The guy is super lazy. He had a problem with that his rookie season- chronicled in the HBO hard knocks show his rookie year.

2. The guy is super lazy. He never works hard learning the plays and has to be taken out of the game a lot.

3. The guy is super lazy. He never worked hard developing beyond just physical tools. His head was never in the game. He fumbled at bad times. He dropped passes at bad times. He missed blocks and assignments.

Probably one of the most frustrating players on the roster for the past few years. The guy is a bum.

The Cowboys NEED a TE. They run a lot of two TE sets. Witten isnt getting any younger. The Cowboys traded Fasano to get this guy. They let him walk without even trying to keep him. That says it all to me.

Dont get too excited. Looking at the guys size and physical tools will get you excited but dont let that fool you.1. The guy is super lazy. He had a problem with that his rookie season- chronicled in the HBO hard knocks show his rookie year.2. The guy is super lazy. He never works hard learning the plays and has to be taken out of the game a lot. 3. The guy is super lazy. He never worked hard developing beyond just physical tools. His head was never in the game. He fumbled at bad times. He dropped passes at bad times. He missed blocks and assignments. Probably one of the most frustrating players on the roster for the past few years. The guy is a bum. The Cowboys NEED a TE. They run a lot of two TE sets. Witten isnt getting any younger. The Cowboys traded Fasano to get this guy. They let him walk without even trying to keep him. That says it all to me.
Other than the Hard knocks, your 1, 2, 3 could be describing Dez bryant.

Wrong..Flat out.When is the last time Jason Witten missed a game or series of games? When is the time he was given an opportunity?

The answer is Witten hasn't missed any games since Bennett was drafted. But in 2008, the Cowboys staff did play Bennett some and in that one small window of time when he was actually a real part of the offensive gameplan, the kid caught 4 tds, had just a few drops, and was averaging about 14 yards per catch.

Can you blame a 22 year old kid for looking average when he never gets a chance to play behind the cornflake kid? To be less than stellar playing on an undisciplined team that doesn't play him?

The kid is good. The Giants are disciplined and focussed and they like to feature their TEs. They took whatever a Jake Ballard and Kevin Boss was and made them relevant and now here comes a 6'6" monster with good hands, playing on a one year deal where he will be looking to prove he deserves a bigger contract next year.

Get him if you can. Its going to be a good beginning for Bennet this year and people can be the guy that got the Arian Foster or they can be the guy that spends all offseason trying to argue why it was just a fluke next year. :)

:goodposting: As a Dallas fan, I'm glad he's gone. Still hasn't matured or achieved since coming into the league. Good luck Giants fans!
Probably not much luck needed. They seem to do ok sizing up potential talent. When everyone else in the league is asking "JPP..isn't he too raw? How can you use him considering what you have?" and "Victor Cruz? ReallY?" , all the Giants do is keep winning. And considering they played in the same division, I trust in their assessment even more. Just because the Cowboys didn't need (or know how) to use him doesn't mean he can't perform.

Good luck to YOU Cowboys as you try to stop the G-Men next year (and, no, I'm not a Giants fan..just seeing a BIG train coming down your tracks).

All I keep hearing is how good of a blocker the guy is, but also people saying how lazy he is. Blocking in the NFL is all about technique with a lot of desire and dedication to do it. I can't say I've ever heard of a lazy-good blocker before. Just seems like an oxymoron...

Dont get too excited. Looking at the guys size and physical tools will get you excited but dont let that fool you.

1. The guy is super lazy. He had a problem with that his rookie season- chronicled in the HBO hard knocks show his rookie year.

2. The guy is super lazy. He never works hard learning the plays and has to be taken out of the game a lot.

3. The guy is super lazy. He never worked hard developing beyond just physical tools. His head was never in the game. He fumbled at bad times. He dropped passes at bad times. He missed blocks and assignments.

Probably one of the most frustrating players on the roster for the past few years. The guy is a bum.

The Cowboys NEED a TE. They run a lot of two TE sets. Witten isnt getting any younger. The Cowboys traded Fasano to get this guy. They let him walk without even trying to keep him. That says it all to me.
And what does it say to you when your division rival signs him a day later when Kevin Boss and Dallas Clark are available?

Maybe he was lazy. maybe he was disinterested because the dysfunctional Cowboys were...dysfunctional and undisciplined. But do you think for a second that coach Coughlin and Mike Pope aren't going to get something out of him or that Bennett isn't aware that his one year deal could springboard him to a huge contract next year if he contributes? Let's be realistic here. This isn't like they picked him up in July and needed a camp body. They signed him 24 hours into FA when they could have had a guy they had before or a guy that has done pretty danged good with Eli's brother. There is more here to talk about than just scorned Cowboys fans saying good riddance.

All I keep hearing is how good of a blocker the guy is, but also people saying how lazy he is. Blocking in the NFL is all about technique with a lot of desire and dedication to do it. I can't say I've ever heard of a lazy-good blocker before. Just seems like an oxymoron...
Terrific point. Blocking is one of te least desired jobs in the NFL. Doesn't make much sense that the laziest kid on the planet according to some would excel at the job that most NFL players hate.Sounds to me there are a lot of Cowboys fans lurking here that are upset they lost their poster child for what the team has been the past decade (unfocussed underachievers). Maybe that label really belongs on the players that stayed; not the one that left.

The shine will come off Bennett when they draft Fleener or Allen...hence the 1 year deal.
Is this the same logic as when people said the drafting of Ben Tate meant "nothing to see on this Arian Foster stuff?"Just kidding some but I really don't think this signing can be glossed over.

The shine will come off Bennett when they draft Fleener or Allen...hence the 1 year deal.
Is this the same logic as when people said the drafting of Ben Tate meant "nothing to see on this Arian Foster stuff?"Just kidding some but I really don't think this signing can be glossed over.
Not intentionally glossing it over. In fact, I love the kid's upside. Despite the off field immaturity I think he showed very well when given opps behind Witten.The lack of commitment on the 1 year deal makes me think they will be making back-up plans at the very least tho.I'm investing at the right price, but that price is lower if they do pick up one of the better TE's in the draft. Bennett is better than anyone in this class from a talent standpoint so he could very well grab the spot all to himself and keep a rook on the bench, but a guy like Fleener or Allen would be a definite buzz kill on his fantasy value.I understand why some don't like him, but I will be rooting for the rookie pick to further depress his value so I can snag him on the cheap.

His floor is about 35 receptions and I'd out his ceiling at 65 receptions as the current roster stands.

I used to be his biggest "upside" pumper for the Cowboys. Here is the deal imo:

-Stud blocker. Was the third best blocking TE last year by KC Joyner I believe. Should help your run game for sure.

-Poor hands. Lots of drops, BAD drops.

-Takes penalties - mental errors. Lines up wrong, false starts, forgets to reset, motion...etc etc

Oveerall, he's a huge tease. Talented, physically gifted, but something is missing. This were he gets labelled lazy, which isn't accurate either. For me, it's a lack of maturity and low desire to become more or better at his craft. He appears very happy making a few million a year and living it up.

Temper your expectations for his catch totals.

His time was up in Dallas, no one is mourning his loss.

Dont get too excited. Looking at the guys size and physical tools will get you excited but dont let that fool you.1. The guy is super lazy. He had a problem with that his rookie season- chronicled in the HBO hard knocks show his rookie year.2. The guy is super lazy. He never works hard learning the plays and has to be taken out of the game a lot. 3. The guy is super lazy. He never worked hard developing beyond just physical tools. His head was never in the game. He fumbled at bad times. He dropped passes at bad times. He missed blocks and assignments. Probably one of the most frustrating players on the roster for the past few years. The guy is a bum.
It seems to me the Giants set this up perfectly as a "show me" contract and there's no way Bennett isn't aware of this going in.The Giants and Coughlin have a well-known reputation. Bennett would be a fool to think he's going to go there and goof off.NY fans love a good TE. Bennett's got everything he wanted here and I like how this is setup for him.I'll probably grab him in FF now.The Giants are nowhere near done with the TE position and it seems every NY writer mentioned as such in his articles on this. There may be something to signing Bennett first, but otherwise there's no way they put all their eggs in one basket.It wasn't that long ago that the Redskins had an excellent H-back under Gibbs and the Gmen drafted a TE to be an H-back and were doing a semi-switch to that. That flopped.Before Coughlin and going back like 20 years or more, the Giants always had excellent FBs even ones that could carry the load at RB if need be. I would not be surprised if they go into camp with plenty of TEs, H-backs, fullbacks and good luck dissecting which is which. I sooo don't think this TE position is settled now

I can see there are going to be some disappointed folks in NYG-land. He'll be one and done once Coughlin sees him up close day to day. The honeymoon period won't last. Party Marty just isn't capable for very long of not reverting back to what he is.

Quite a few people have mentioned that the one year contract indicates the Giants don't have much fatih or that it indicates they will use draft picks on a TE.

I can see the use of a draft pick on a TE, certainly, but for those saying the other part, do you have a report saying that the reason for the one year contract is as you state?

Sometimes it is the players who ask for the one year deal. In essence, they bet on themselves. Like carlos Rogers last year. I believe he was offered a multi year deal with low numbers and he said "give me the one year deal" because he was coming from an undesireable situation and thought he was better than the Niners thought he was. I can see a similarity with Bennett (player starting fresh, can't get a great long term deal but is young enough to think he can prove himself).

The other reason I believe the one year deal may not be a lack of faith is because there ARE other options out there. Why would the Giants say "Ok. we have NO faith in you but we're going to sign you anyways." when they could easily either bring back a guy they had before who did well, or go get a guy like Clark which I'm sure they know is a guy they could trust, or they could just say "let's spend time scouting rookie TEs.

That is 3 other options that all make very good sense but yet they chose to sign this guy one day into free agency. It wasn't even like this is two weeks later and they mull it over. Within a day, they get the guy up there and sign him.

Plus, this is a guy they DO know. He is in their division and they play him two times a year. Its not like he's some guy that has been in the Witness protection program in Seattle.

I just think there is more to this.

Quite a few people have mentioned that the one year contract indicates the Giants don't have much fatih or that it indicates they will use draft picks on a TE.I can see the use of a draft pick on a TE, certainly, but for those saying the other part, do you have a report saying that the reason for the one year contract is as you state?Sometimes it is the players who ask for the one year deal. In essence, they bet on themselves. Like carlos Rogers last year. I believe he was offered a multi year deal with low numbers and he said "give me the one year deal" because he was coming from an undesireable situation and thought he was better than the Niners thought he was. I can see a similarity with Bennett (player starting fresh, can't get a great long term deal but is young enough to think he can prove himself).The other reason I believe the one year deal may not be a lack of faith is because there ARE other options out there. Why would the Giants say "Ok. we have NO faith in you but we're going to sign you anyways." when they could easily either bring back a guy they had before who did well, or go get a guy like Clark which I'm sure they know is a guy they could trust, or they could just say "let's spend time scouting rookie TEs. That is 3 other options that all make very good sense but yet they chose to sign this guy one day into free agency. It wasn't even like this is two weeks later and they mull it over. Within a day, they get the guy up there and sign him.Plus, this is a guy they DO know. He is in their division and they play him two times a year. Its not like he's some guy that has been in the Witness protection program in Seattle. I just think there is more to this.
:goodposting: If he were to continue to block as well as he has and managed to catch 30 passes, he'd still earn a bigger payday than he was going to get with his current body of work. And if he does stink, then the Giants can easily cut him during or after the season.

Even better

"According to NFL Players Association records, the new Giants tight end signed a one-year deal with a base value of $1.7875 million.

I don't know how he can get the extra $700,000+ that was reported. I don't have that info on me.

What I do have is the regular numbers of the contract, which are:

Signing bonus: $675,000

Base salary: $975,000

Roster bonus: $87,500

Workout bonus: $50,000"

Giants' Martellus Bennett contract details

At that price the 'Skins and Cowboys are basically paying him to play for the Super Bowl Champions. Thanks guys!

Bennett has so far proven himself to be an "unfulfilled potential" type of player and he makes far too many mistakes that do bring in questions about his focus and desire to get better (in a capacity other than his blocking skills), but as a few people have pointed out he didn't have much of an opportunity to showcase himself with the Cowboys and he is still a relatively young player, so to completely write him off could potentially be a mistake as well. A one year contract can be great motivation for a player and like everything in fantasy football his value is relative to what you pay for him - in some of my larger leagues, he has been traded for a very low price (30th round pick in one of my deeper leagues and for Todd Heap in another league).

I still get a kick out of the rumors that the Bengals offered a first or second round pick for him in 2009 and Dallas declined to make that trade:

Mort: Bengals wanted Martellus Bennett

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 22, 2009, 9:51 AM EDT

ESPN’s Chris Mortenson reports that the Cincinnati Bengals are the team who was interested in swinging a trade with the Dallas Cowboys and that, as we had been hearing, the target was tight end Martellus Bennett.

It makes sense — the Bengals have been struggling at the tight end position, due to a rash of injuries that began during training camp, when Reggie Kelly torn an Achilles’ tendon and Ben Utecht suffered a serious concussion.

Still, the Cowboys said no. Despite the presence of Jason Witten, Bennett gets plenty of playing time when the Cowboys use two tight ends.
Source: Bengals wanted Bennett
IRVING, Texas -- Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones turned down a trade offer for one of his young players before Tuesday's trade deadline.

Jones, who didn't name any team or player involved, spoke directly to a club regarding a potential transaction.

"We had a significant offer for a key player that we turned down, and turned down in getting in more extended dialogue for," Jones said before Wednesday's practice. "So we did have that kind of activity . . . but I shouldn't name the player or the team. It was a very firm, significant offer for one of our young players that we had a chance for a lot of consideration if we had wanted to take it, and we didn't."

A league source told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that the deal in question was the Bengals attempting to acquire tight end Martellus Bennett, who was a second-round pick of the Cowboys in 2008. The source offered no other details of the proposed trade, which was ultimately turned down by Dallas.

Bennett responded to the report Thursday via Twitter. "Ha the bengals tried to trade for me?ochocinco Marty b woulda been a ruckus. I love being a cowboy tho this is home I love this team."

Multiple sources said several young Cowboys players -- including Orlando Scandrick, Miles Austin, Felix Jones, Tashard Choice, Mike Jenkins and Bennett -- are deemed too valuable to let go for any possible blockbuster deal. None of those players is older than 25 or has more than two years full-time playing experience.

Jerry Jones said he thinks highly of other young players on the team such as wide receiver Kevin Ogletree, left tackle Doug Free and outside linebacker Anthony Spencer.

Jones said the team was offered at least one premium draft pick for a player.

"We could have probably made a 'now' impact and just bolstered a position, and significantly, and obviously we would have had a takeaway since it's a young player for the future," Jones said. "By the same token, and I'm talking about the type of consideration, first- or second-round type consideration, but the bottom line is this: Had I not thought that we needed that player right now as opposed to pushing forward in consideration for picks in the future, then I would have taken the pick option on it rather than the player."
I would bet that they wish that they could have that one back!

And what does it say to you when your division rival signs him a day later when Kevin Boss and Dallas Clark are available?

Maybe he was lazy. maybe he was disinterested because the dysfunctional Cowboys were...dysfunctional and undisciplined. But do you think for a second that coach Coughlin and Mike Pope aren't going to get something out of him or that Bennett isn't aware that his one year deal could springboard him to a huge contract next year if he contributes? Let's be realistic here. This isn't like they picked him up in July and needed a camp body. They signed him 24 hours into FA when they could have had a guy they had before or a guy that has done pretty danged good with Eli's brother. There is more here to talk about than just scorned Cowboys fans saying good riddance.
Typical Cowboys hater. The Cowboys werent dysfunctional. They are a team rebuilding with a young head coach. It isnt like this guy was the only one putting in the work, it was the exact opposite. The guy is a tease and a bum. You will see. He is lazy. I saw what I saw. The guy never puts in the effort or the time to get out of football what he should.

Dallas Clark is old and injured. No one is lining up to sign the guy. Kevin Boss was a disappointment. It isnt like there was a great TE market out there.

Typical Cowboys hater. The Cowboys werent dysfunctional. They are a team rebuilding with a young head coach. It isnt like this guy was the only one putting in the work, it was the exact opposite. The guy is a tease and a bum. You will see. He is lazy. I saw what I saw. The guy never puts in the effort or the time to get out of football what he should.

Dallas Clark is old and injured. No one is lining up to sign the guy. Kevin Boss was a disappointment. It isnt like there was a great TE market out there.
Yeah the rookie making faces behind his position coach during his 2nd professional practice during training camp.Enjoy your signing.

Just listening to ESPN's Football Today Podcast FWIW. Tucker is not a fan of the signing stating off the field concerns and that its a purely "going for straight talent" signing, he would rather them have gone with Boss but admits that maybe its because 'Boss is like Ballard and when Ballard comes back they have two of the same type of guy whereas Bennett has the ability to really stretch the field'. Williamson is more for it but admits its risky. He admits Bennett is a really good blocker, he says that "he has a lot of ability and has the 'ability' to be a number 1 TE and could come into his own if given the opportunity" He thinks it helps the Giants tackles which are "liabilities."

How can you say that with a straight face? Given the talent of the team, this was by far the most disappointing team in the league in recent years. The team went completely sideways under Wade Phillips. That can not be denied that they constantly had the aura of being undeachieving and undisciplined. I don't hate the Cowboys. Nor am I their biggest fan. So I think that I am far enough removed from either side of the source to make an unbiased observation. You can call a kid lazy and a bum and all that but you don't get to the NFL or remain on a team or get snatched up the first day of Free Agency without having something. Maybe as a Cowboys fan it stings a little to you to be disappointed in Bennett and to see him go to a hated rival, but you need to understand that is not Bennett's fault; that's the Cowboys fault (or, if you are correct about Bennett, that is the genius of the cowboys to let him go). Its clear which side of the fence you are on, but all I'm saying is that the giants are a team known for discipline and focus. They run the organization right and this looks like an ideal change of scenery for Bennett.

I trust in the giants to have a good reason to bring him on on day one and their abilities as a franchise more than I trust the cowboys' judgement.

How can you say that with a straight face? Given the talent of the team, this was by far the most disappointing team in the league in recent years. The team went completely sideways under Wade Phillips. That can not be denied that they constantly had the aura of being undeachieving and undisciplined. I don't hate the Cowboys. Nor am I their biggest fan. So I think that I am far enough removed from either side of the source to make an unbiased observation. You can call a kid lazy and a bum and all that but you don't get to the NFL or remain on a team or get snatched up the first day of Free Agency without having something. Maybe as a Cowboys fan it stings a little to you to be disappointed in Bennett and to see him go to a hated rival, but you need to understand that is not Bennett's fault; that's the Cowboys fault (or, if you are correct about Bennett, that is the genius of the cowboys to let him go). Its clear which side of the fence you are on, but all I'm saying is that the giants are a team known for discipline and focus. They run the organization right and this looks like an ideal change of scenery for Bennett.

I trust in the giants to have a good reason to bring him on on day one and their abilities as a franchise more than I trust the cowboys' judgement.
Is it possible that the Cowboys are disfunctional, AND that Bennett is lazy? It gets a little dangerous when you excuse the shortcomings of players completely and without cause because they were on a team that may have underperformed. It's funny that other young skill position players on the Cowboys seem to have overcome the poor leadership, and excelled. Only Martellus seems to have been a victim. Poor guy.

Not true. There are several reports that the Cowboys tried to re-sign him. Bennett wanted a starting job so he rejected the offer.

Is it possible that the Cowboys are disfunctional, AND that Bennett is lazy? It gets a little dangerous when you excuse the shortcomings of players completely and without cause because they were on a team that may have underperformed. It's funny that other young skill position players on the Cowboys seem to have overcome the poor leadership, and excelled. Only Martellus seems to have been a victim. Poor guy.
yes its possible, for sure. But that also goes both ways. So to say it had nothing to do with the Cowboys and all Bennett would be equally as false.I don't know how you could say that other guys have overcome and excelled. I think everyone expected a lot more from the vast majority of the young players on this team than what they have shown; from everyone from the high profile Dez Bryant and Felix Jones, to the o-line players, to the kickers.

The manin difference between Bennett and these other guys is that Bennett has not been given a starting job while the others have. It would be really easy to argue that had bryant been the third receiver the entire time, people would be saying the same of him; especially when the third receiver for that team literally walked on to the team and outperformed the starter (another good example of what a change of scenery can do). Robinson was called a bum on 2 other teams and flat out released, yet in a different situation, flourished. And who knows why? But it happened. Some may say "If the cowboys are so dysfunctional, how does that happen?" But others may say "Maybe he was the guy that got a wake up call somewhere else and was one of the more focussed players on an otherwise wayward team. Maybe he actually took advantage of the talent on the team." I don't know what the answer is but I do know its hard to argue that the Cowboys have underachieved, that Bennett was never a starter before, and that a change of scenery can do a lot of good sometimes.

Dez Bryant while putting up numbers has underperformed. There's been talk that he was pulled from their no-huddle packages because he didn't no the play book and/or had conditioning issues.Felix Jones is another player with a lot of potential that hasn't performed up to expectations.

Their DB's have famously underperformed for years.

Users who are viewing this thread