Skeletore Eh

Martellus Bennett - playing musical chairs with the NFL

590 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Man in the yellow hat said:

Anyone with half a brain knows exactly what happened here. Rodgers got hurt, and Bennett quit on Green Bay. End of story. Anyone trying to defend that is being willfully ignorant.

And anyone with a fully functioning brain knows that Bennett decided not to risk his health for a hopeless cause & was trying to take advantage of one of the only loopholes that benefits the players & GB got pissed & tried to get out of their contractual responsibility by lying about Bennett’s injury.  Anyone trying to pretend that GB doesn’t share the blame here is also being willfully ignorant.  

Edited by Bayhawks
3 people like this

42 minutes ago, Man in the yellow hat said:

Anyone with half a brain knows exactly what happened here. Rodgers got hurt, and Bennett quit on Green Bay. End of story. Anyone trying to defend that is being willfully ignorant.

Agreed and it certainly doesn't look good that he signs with NE and passes the Pats physical.  The whole thing smells fishy.  

1 person likes this

Does anyone know if the failure to disclose injury includes his mental state? They did sign him to a 3 year deal with a nice signing bonus. Now after 8 weeks he starts talking about retirement after this year. If he retired would the Packers get a portion of the signing bonus back? Or is this their only recourse?

11 hours ago, Bayhawks said:

And anyone with a fully functioning brain knows that Bennett decided not to risk his health for a hopeless cause & was trying to take advantage of one of the only loopholes that benefits the players & GB got pissed & tried to get out of their contractual responsibility by lying about Bennett’s injury.  Anyone trying to pretend that GB doesn’t share the blame here is also being willfully ignorant.  

There was no injury talk before Rodgers got hurt. There was only injury talk after Rodgers got hurt. The math on this is pretty easy, and it all equals Bennett not being honest about what is going on. Pretty clear way more Green Bay players have lined up to defend their medical staff than have lined up to defend Bennett. It's crystal clear that Bennett is the issue. 

Edited by Man in the yellow hat
1 person likes this

There was no injury talk before Rodgers got hurt. There was only injury talk after Rodgers got hurt. The math on this is pretty easy, and it all equals Bennett not being honest about what is going on. Pretty clear way more Green Bay players have lined up to defend their medical staff than have lined up to defend Bennett. It's crystal clear that Bennett is the issue. 

Read your first line-there was no injury talk before Rodgers got hurt.  So when GB signed Bennett, and he passed a physical, he did not have a torn rotator cuff.  

Then, he hurt his shoulder (while playing for GB), but plays through the pain (b/c that has been his history).  This point is based on Bennett’s claim that he indicated shoulder pain each week to the GB staff.  We can’t know this true,but no one from GB has denied it.

Rodgers then gets hurt,the team is woefully unprepared at backup QB, but the HC insists he is happy with his QB room, even though it’s obvious to EVERYONE that Hundley sucks.  Bennett figures “why should I keep playing through the pain, if there’s no shot at a championship & if the team won’t even try to improve at QB?”  

So he goes to outside Docs, AS IS HIS RIGHT, is told he should get surgery, decides to get surgery, AS IS HIS RIGHT, then GB decides to cut him, and say he withheld an injury.  As you’ve already admitted, there was no injury talk before Rodgers got hurt, so this is a blatant lie by GB, in an attempt to save themselves from paying Bennett what they’d be contractually obligated to pay him (one of the only instances when the contracts in the NFL favor the player).

As I’ve previously admitted, Bennett appears to have decided playing through the pain isn’t worth it worth Hundley @QB; this DOES NOT mean the injury isn’t legitimate.  In fact, it has been confirmed that he has a torn rotator cuff.  So, he’s not “faking an injury.”  He wasn’t hurt when he signed with GB, as they made no note of any injury when he passed their physical. So the injury occurred while playing football for the GB Packers.  They don’t want to pay him what they owe, so they lie about him to try to get out of their obligations.  Player with legitimate injury who could try to play through injury but elects not to IS NOT a legitimate way to get out of a contract,so GB LIED!  

It’s quite clear that Bennett decided not to play for a team with no shot,had a legitimate injury that he’d have played through with Rodgers at QB, but not Hundley;  GB didn’t want to pay him, so lied to try to get out of their obligations.

The only type of person who can’t see that is the type of person who thinks that his drunk wife didn’t do anything wrong when goes into a men’s BR with a guy she has a crush on, then comes out with her underwear on wrong.:P

Edited by Bayhawks

He's so injured he can jump right onto the practice field in New England. Whatever man. Continue to blame the organization, that is fine. I don't trust Bennett one bit, and his history indicates bigger issues over time. I'll take the reputation of the Green Bay front office and medical staff over that of Bennett. 

Enjoy the rest of the NFL Season.

2 people like this

He's so injured he can jump right onto the practice field in New England. Whatever man. Continue to blame the organization, that is fine. I don't trust Bennett one bit, and his history indicates bigger issues over time. I'll take the reputation of the Green Bay front office and medical staff over that of Bennett. 

Enjoy the rest of the NFL Season.

Did you read any of my posts?  Do you think there is only black & white in these matters, no grey?  Both sides have lied & made bad decisions here.

I clearly said that Bennett had an injury that he’d have played through (he WAS playing through) with Rodgers at QB.  After Rodgers got hurt, he went to an outside Dr who advised surgery (multiple Docs, I think). This is a player’s right.  He chose surgery.  This is also a players right. GB decided they didn’t like the fact he quit on them when Rodgers got hurt (which is understandable), so they chose to cut him, which is a team’s right.  But they decided to lie & say he hid an injury.  This is not a teams right.  

These are the facts we know:

GB gave him a physical & deemed him healthy in the offseason.  This is a fact.

He now has a torn rotator cuff.  This is a fact.

Due to facts 1 & 2, he must have sustained the shoulder injury while playing for GB.  This is a fact.

A Doctor has advised surgery.  This is a fact.

Players have the right to elect to undergo surgery, OR to try to play through pain.  This is a fact.

Bennett decided not to play through pain with Hundley @QB, then, after GB cut him, he elected to play through the pain, with NE.  That doesn’t change any of the facts above.  GB is trying to get out of their contractual obligations by lying about Bennett.  Bennett responded by lying about GB’s Doc.  

With regards to the contractual rightness/wrongness, GB is at fault here.

Enjoy the rest of your season, as well.

4 people like this

16 minutes ago, Bayhawks said:

Bennett decided not to play through pain with Hundley @QB, then, after GB cut him, he elected to play through the pain, with NE.  

So, Bennett is a front running quitter POS.   Gotcha. 

3 people like this

3 hours ago, efactor said:

So, Bennett is a front running quitter POS.   Gotcha. 

Sure, but he’s not a front running quitter POS who hid an injury from GB.

20 minutes ago, Bayhawks said:

Sure, but he’s not a front running quitter POS who hid an injury from GB.

let's pretend he didn't hide an injury from GB, he's still the #1 and only one to blame

while you guys have an extremely interesting debate going on, who cares?!?!

I predict less than 200 yards and 2 TD's for ROS.

3 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

let's pretend he didn't hide an injury from GB, he's still the #1 and only one to blame

How would we be pretending?

4 minutes ago, UncleZen said:

while you guys have an extremely interesting debate going on, who cares?!?!

I predict less than 200 yards and 2 TD's for ROS.

I was thinking the same thing... Two receptions/game max...

They are both rid of each other.  You would think GB and Bennett would be satisfied with the divorce.

Bennett is reportedly on track to play tonight. Wondering if it's because Dr. McKenzie is pressuring him to play

5 people like this

Wow. Those Bennett brothers sure are a class act.  

1 person likes this

And, my last post on this. I'm not sure how anyone can be backing Bennett at this point. It's more clear than ever that he has not been honest about what went down.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/11/15/packers-players-refute-martellus-bennetts-fabrication-regarding-team-doctor/868852001/

"Bakhtiari missed the rest of the Packers' game at Minnesota, a loss in which backup quarterback Brett Hundley could’ve used his blindside protector.

So after hearing former Packers tight end Martellus Bennett’s allegations last week that McKenzie pressured him to play after deciding to get shoulder surgery, Bakhtiari said he was upset.

“Flat out,” Bakhtiari said, “what he’s saying is crap.”

Bakhtiari was hardly the only Packers player angry about Bennett’s allegations against their team doctor.

Right guard Jahri Evans said “we all know there was some fabrication” in Bennett’s statement. Receiver Jordy Nelson said he thought Bennett’s accusations were “nonsense.”

"I think everyone knows what’s the truth," Nelson said.

Outside linebacker Clay Matthews pointed to the inconsistencies in Bennett’s timeline.

After deciding in Green Bay his shoulder injury required surgery, Bennett was active for the New England Patriots on Sunday night after being claimed last week. Bennett even caught three passes for 38 yards.

“He seemed to suit up and looked good on Sunday night,” Matthews said." 

Matthews said he and teammates “got a good laugh from” Bennett explaining how his release from the Packers unfolded, specifically that McKenzie would ever ask a player to jeopardize his health by playing.

“My experience has been fantastic with Pat,” Matthews said. “I think he’s an awesome doc. I think he puts our health in front of the team first and foremost. In fact, I think a lot of people have gotten on his case because he’s too conservative. So I wouldn’t put much merit into those comments made.

“I think it really speaks volumes to hear everybody’s rebuttal, and come to his aid in that regard as opposed to the other person.”

27 minutes ago, Man in the yellow hat said:

And, my last post on this. I'm not sure how anyone can be backing Bennett at this point. It's more clear than ever that he has not been honest about what went down.

Oh he was definitely lying and my guess is there is even more to the story.

1 hour ago, Tool said:

Pats placed him on IR.

For a torn hamstring, not the shoulder injury. 

Well, he got his wish to get his contract locked in. I hope he made sound financial decisions. Hopefully none of these channels shove a microphone in his face in the future.

Forget to mention the discussion I heard on the radio about Bennett. If he retires, he will have to return a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus and his team would get appropriate salary cap credit. However, since NE took on his contract when he was released be GB, those benefits would go to NE not GB. The Packers are apparently going to file a grievance over that, but as things look now NE would be the one that holds the contract. 

15 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Forget to mention the discussion I heard on the radio about Bennett. If he retires, he will have to return a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus and his team would get appropriate salary cap credit. However, since NE took on his contract when he was released be GB, those benefits would go to NE not GB. The Packers are apparently going to file a grievance over that, but as things look now NE would be the one that holds the contract. 

That makes zero sense. I find it hard to believe. I would love to see that from a neutral source.

If it IS the case, that is some seriously screwed up league rules. 

Seems odd if that is the case since not a single one of the articles talking about the Packers possibly filing a grievance seeking repayment of his signing bonus mentioned such a possibility.

9 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

That makes zero sense. I find it hard to believe. I would love to see that from a neutral source.

If it IS the case, that is some seriously screwed up league rules. 

Seems odd if that is the case since not a single one of the articles talking about the Packers possibly filing a grievance seeking repayment of his signing bonus mentioned such a possibility.

I do not believe this situation has happened before (team cuts player, team plans to recoup signing bonus, other team claims contract, player may retire).  The discussion made it sound that whoever held the contract got the credit/rebate. Bennett hasn’t retired, so that may be why this issue hasn’t really come to light yet. 

I hope the Patriots bring Bennett back. He’s still fairly young and won’t cost a ton against the cap. With Gronk on the fence about coming back I think it’s likely to happen.

This guy doesn’t even exist anymore.