What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Intriguing Sleeper Rookie RB's (1 Viewer)

loose circuits

Footballguy
These guys have me intrigued that I haven't really hear a peep about:

Brandon Bolden Ole Miss: Looks like a more athletic version of former Ole Miss RB Benjarvus Green-Ellis

Edwin Baker Michigan State: Early entry junior who had his best season as a sophomore. Former top recruit looked great early in his career

Taureen Poole Tenn: Could he be one of those guys that has better NFL career than college?

Bobby Rainey Western Kentucky: combine snub believes he belongs in NFL

Rodney Stewart 2nd leading rusher all time form Colorado- Combine snub and Sproles clone comes highly endorsed by CU OC Eric Bienemy (Vikes old RB coach)

Nate Eachus Colgate: 5'10", 215 pound tailback's Pro Day: 40 Time: 4.56; Broad Jump: 9'8"; Vertical 37.5"; BP reps (225lbs) 24

Jewel Hampton Southern Illinois. Former Hawkeye had breakout season this year and was gimpy at combine which is a concern. He blew up both knees while at Iowa and was reason he moved on.

Bryce Brown: talented knucklehead

I know there are more. Hard to say if guys like Pierce, Pead, Ballard, and Hillman belong on this list as they seem to be either with or right behind the tier of James & Turbin.

What do you guys think? Some flying under radar to you? Opinion on these guys. Felt like this would be good discussion as early responses to WR thread was good stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
add Bryce Brown to the list...character concerns, but talent is certainly there

seems like a perfect fit for Bengals

Bobby Rainey was 2nd in FBS rushing yards in 2011 and 4th in FBS rushing yards in 2010. What else does that kid have to prove to get a combine look?

Reminds me of Ray Rice.

I'll take Bobby Rainey over Chris Rainey. He had a 6.51 3-cone time and 24 reps. Strong with lots of wiggle. Very good inside runner. Not good going to the edge on pitches/tosses. No second gear. Not really Ray Rice. More like a heavier/stronger Danny Woodhead. Or a bigger/better Jacquizz Rodgers.

Bolden: poor man's Daniel Thomas. Can be immediate 3rd+down RB in NFL. not much upside.

Baker: a plodder with horrible change of direction skills. Smaller Benjarvus Green-Ellis.

Poole: reminds me of Dominic Rhodes or a slightly smaller Thomas Jones. Downhill runner that can make subtle cuts. Good balance and strength. Not quick moving laterally.

Michael Smith, Utah State. He's 5'8", 207 and at his recent pro day, he ran 4.35, had a vertical of 40.5, broad of 10'6", and did 23 reps on the bench.

As I watch existing FA RBs having a hard time securing interest for any roles that will be significant in the NFL (for FF purposes), I find it even harder to get excited about unknown college kids.

I think the NFL has changed to a point to where this kind of scouring should be done with WRs and not RBS. RBs are so interchangeable nowadays, I'm not sure it is worth reaching or putting the energy into any of them.

As I watch existing FA RBs having a hard time securing interest for any roles that will be significant in the NFL (for FF purposes), I find it even harder to get excited about unknown college kids.I think the NFL has changed to a point to where this kind of scouring should be done with WRs and not RBS. RBs are so interchangeable nowadays, I'm not sure it is worth reaching or putting the energy into any of them.
:goodposting: Be on the look out for the next Austin Collie, Mike Wallace, Victor Cruz, Pierre Garcon, Steve Johnson, Antonio Brown, etc. That's where the value's at

As I watch existing FA RBs having a hard time securing interest for any roles that will be significant in the NFL (for FF purposes), I find it even harder to get excited about unknown college kids.I think the NFL has changed to a point to where this kind of scouring should be done with WRs and not RBS. RBs are so interchangeable nowadays, I'm not sure it is worth reaching or putting the energy into any of them.
:goodposting: Be on the look out for the next Austin Collie, Mike Wallace, Victor Cruz, Pierre Garcon, Steve Johnson, Antonio Brown, etc. That's where the value's at
I agree somewhat, but don't believe in writing off the RB's altogether because guys like Arian Foster emerge every year. Could Arian's history be comparable to a few of these guys?The reason those Vets can't find jobs is young guys can contribute immediately for much cheaper contracts

Ronnie Hillman and Robert Turbin. No sense posting again their scouting report again, but I like'em.

Bobby Rainey was 2nd in FBS rushing yards in 2011 and 4th in FBS rushing yards in 2010. What else does that kid have to prove to get a combine look?

Reminds me of Ray Rice.

FYI, he ran a 4.51 40 at his Pro Day.ETA: He did 24 reps on bench at 225, which would have ranked 4th among backs at the combine, and ran the 3 cone drill in 6.61 which would have ranked 2nd among backs at the combine

Ronnie Hillman and Robert Turbin. No sense posting again their scouting report again, but I like'em.
like I said in the original post, they seem to be in that 3rd tierIn no particular order:T. RichWilsonMartinMillerPeadBallardPiercePolkJamesTurbinHillmanI think in most cases 10 of those guys would be in most people's top 10. This thread is more about those guys in the 12+ group that can surpriseGuess time could be spent wisely ranking that 3rd tier as well. That is tough to do for sure...

guys like Arian Foster emerge every year.
Really? Who was this year's Arian Foster?
DeMarco Murray. Guys don't come from nowhere every year but it does happen regularly. Sometimes it's from completely out of left field (Foster) or other times it's a guy who performs like a first round talent but was drafted much later (Murray). You need to draft someone at the end of the draft so why not take a gamble on one of these names? You'll probably cut them soon but there's a small chance you strike gold.

Evan Royster or Kahlil Bell come to mind and could have won some fantasy football championships. Jackie Battle flirted with the out of no where breakout. Blount the year before as a undrafted breakout player and Hillis in certain ways.considering Foster broke out in his 2nd year we may not know yet there are some guys that have me interested and may be in a good spot to carve a role:Braddon SaineDujaun HarrisPhil TannerJordan TodmanAnthony Allen

Evan Royster or Kahlil Bell come to mind and could have won some fantasy football championships. Jackie Battle flirted with the out of no where breakout. Blount the year before as a undrafted breakout player and Hillis in certain ways.considering Foster broke out in his 2nd year we may not know yet there are some guys that have me interested and may be in a good spot to carve a role:Braddon SaineDujaun HarrisPhil TannerJordan TodmanAnthony Allen
Not a rookie, but what about Da'rel Scott?

Not a rookie, but what about Da'rel Scott?
I think he was drafted in most leagues where as those 5 guys I mentioned weren't...well maybe Todman

I don't know anyone that actually drafted Arian and held onto him long enough to realize the gains. I guess what I'm trying to says it's good to be familiar with these guys but very tough to hold onto them through the growing phase.
many different guys play differently. Had a guy in my league hold onto Noel Devine all yearEither way, like you said it is good to be familiar with these guys and ready to pounce if they are dropped or the time is right, whatever. i thin the purpose of coming to this board is to gain knowledge so what does it hurt to talk about some long shots?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Day-3-Sleeper-RB-Prospects.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

5. Vick Ballard: Mississippi State (5-11, 220)

Possesses some natural running skills and is a strong kid who always falls forward. However, isn't going to break nearly as many tackles in NFL as he did in college and will struggle averaging over 4.0 yards per carry. A reserve only.

ICONBallard runs hard and gives you everything he's got.

4. Davin Meggett: Maryland (5-9, 215)

A shorter, thick back with a strong lower half, runs low and has the quickness/acceleration to pick his way through tight areas and explode toward daylight. Lacks a great feel, will slow his feet and not look real natural at times picking his way through traffic. However, when he sees a lane he can be dynamic and get up the field quickly

3. Brandon Bolden: Mississippi (5-11, 221)

A tough, productive SEC back who runs hard and can be effective when there are lanes to run through. Isn't going to create on his own in the NFL and isn't dynamic in any area of the game. Looks like a number three back at the next level.

2. Michael Smith: Utah State (5-9, 205)

He played behind a talented runner in Robert Turbin at Utah State this past year, but was extremely productive with limited touches, averaging over 7.0 yards per carry. He's a powerfully built kid who runs low to the ground, displays good short areas quickness and has a burst when asked to get up the field. He looks explosive pressing space and accelerating toward daylight, could be a nice late round value.

1. Bryce Brown: Kansas State (6-0, 220)

Watching him run in Lane Kiffin's zone scheme as a freshman, the guy was an impressive back with a lot of natural talent. He was the number one ranked recruit out of high school, ahead of Trent Richardson in 2009 and no doubt has the skill set to play in the league. The biggest question mark for him going forward is his overall character.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Day-3-Sleeper-RB-Prospects.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

5. Vick Ballard: Mississippi State (5-11, 220) Possesses some natural running skills and is a strong kid who always falls forward. However, isn't going to break nearly as many tackles in NFL as he did in college and will struggle averaging over 4.0 yards per carry. A reserve only. ICONBallard runs hard and gives you everything he's got. 4. Davin Meggett: Maryland (5-9, 215) A shorter, thick back with a strong lower half, runs low and has the quickness/acceleration to pick his way through tight areas and explode toward daylight. Lacks a great feel, will slow his feet and not look real natural at times picking his way through traffic. However, when he sees a lane he can be dynamic and get up the field quickly3. Brandon Bolden: Mississippi (5-11, 221) A tough, productive SEC back who runs hard and can be effective when there are lanes to run through. Isn't going to create on his own in the NFL and isn't dynamic in any area of the game. Looks like a number three back at the next level.2. Michael Smith: Utah State (5-9, 205) He played behind a talented runner in Robert Turbin at Utah State this past year, but was extremely productive with limited touches, averaging over 7.0 yards per carry. He's a powerfully built kid who runs low to the ground, displays good short areas quickness and has a burst when asked to get up the field. He looks explosive pressing space and accelerating toward daylight, could be a nice late round value.1. Bryce Brown: Kansas State (6-0, 220) Watching him run in Lane Kiffin's zone scheme as a freshman, the guy was an impressive back with a lot of natural talent. He was the number one ranked recruit out of high school, ahead of Trent Richardson in 2009 and no doubt has the skill set to play in the league. The biggest question mark for him going forward is his overall character.
thanks for sharing, I thought about putting Meggett on original list, but scouts seems to believe he lacks something.

Roto reports:

"Multiple team sources" tell the Charlotte Observer that Jonathan Stewart is "unlikely" to be traded despite the Panthers' addition of Mike Tolbert.

The Panthers will face a tough decision when Stewart enters 2013 free agency, but for now they're poised to keep him along with DeAngelo Williams and Tolbert. Tolbert will likely shoulder some of the load on passing downs, and cover kicks on special teams. Stewart and Williams will be the primary backs. The Panthers could consider cutting Williams and re-signing Stewart next offseason, although releasing DeAngelo would cause a roughly $5 million cap hit in 2013.

I wonder if this takes Mike Goodson off this list?

5. Vick Ballard: Mississippi State (5-11, 220) Possesses some natural running skills and is a strong kid who always falls forward. However, isn't going to break nearly as many tackles in NFL as he did in college and will struggle averaging over 4.0 yards per carry. A reserve only. ICONBallard runs hard and gives you everything he's got. 4. Davin Meggett: Maryland (5-9, 215) A shorter, thick back with a strong lower half, runs low and has the quickness/acceleration to pick his way through tight areas and explode toward daylight. Lacks a great feel, will slow his feet and not look real natural at times picking his way through traffic. However, when he sees a lane he can be dynamic and get up the field quickly3. Brandon Bolden: Mississippi (5-11, 221) A tough, productive SEC back who runs hard and can be effective when there are lanes to run through. Isn't going to create on his own in the NFL and isn't dynamic in any area of the game. Looks like a number three back at the next level.2. Michael Smith: Utah State (5-9, 205) He played behind a talented runner in Robert Turbin at Utah State this past year, but was extremely productive with limited touches, averaging over 7.0 yards per carry. He's a powerfully built kid who runs low to the ground, displays good short areas quickness and has a burst when asked to get up the field. He looks explosive pressing space and accelerating toward daylight, could be a nice late round value.1. Bryce Brown: Kansas State (6-0, 220) Watching him run in Lane Kiffin's zone scheme as a freshman, the guy was an impressive back with a lot of natural talent. He was the number one ranked recruit out of high school, ahead of Trent Richardson in 2009 and no doubt has the skill set to play in the league. The biggest question mark for him going forward is his overall character.
thanks for sharing, I thought about putting Meggett on original list, but scouts seems to believe he lacks something.
Davin Megget, Mike Ball, and Edwin Baker are very similar RBs to me.

How about a second year guy like Bilal Powell on the Jets? Waldman really liked him coming out last year and the competition in front of him is nothing to write home about (Greene/McKnight). I think he's going to surprise people this year

How about a second year guy like Bilal Powell on the Jets? Waldman really liked him coming out last year and the competition in front of him is nothing to write home about (Greene/McKnight). I think he's going to surprise people this year
I have a feeling the Jets grab someone in the first 4-5 rounds that could throw a wrench in the Powell plans. It's a deep RB draft so I could see a better talent being taken late and getting a shot. Maybe.

Ronnie Hillman has really caught my eye lately, I think he could develop from a part time player year 1-2 into a starter at some point.

it seems like we're talking about rookies this year but people keep bringing up rookies from last year... anyway instead of making a new thread i'll throw this here since he's been mentioned a couple of times already...

did anyone else see that bryce brown had a private pro day? not sure who was on hand but he put up some decent numbers - 4.3 - 4.4 40, 22 reps and a 34 inch vert.

now his back and forth between kstate and tenn was definitely odd, he hasn't actually played much football since high school, and he's is only 20 (turns 21 after draft from what i understand). does anyone have any other recent info on the kid? he was really screwed by the whole kiffin saga in tenn it seems, but then after a stumble in kstate he went back there. was he misguided? he was very highly regarded out of high school - even moreso than t-rich by some. he's obviously got fresh legs. i wonder if there's teams that will take a chance on him... if so he seems like a good candidate for a late round hail mary imo.

Michael Smith, Utah State. He's 5'8", 207 and at his recent pro day, he ran 4.35, had a vertical of 40.5, broad of 10'6", and did 23 reps on the bench.
Was coming here to post this. Saw Smith at Players All Star Classic (formerly Tx v Nation) in January and was VERY impressed. Gets up to top speed in the blink of an eye, natural runner with good feel for rushing lanes, explodes when he changes direction.

Saw him at the Shrine Game and was totally unimpressed. Measurables are nice, film is okay, but field level against better talent he was simply terrible. Danced too much, more build up speed than first step explosion. He won't get drafted and will be lucky to make a camp/practice squad.

Many scouts I've talked to were thoroughly unimpressed as well.

Rodney Stewart 2nd leading rusher all time form Colorado- Combine snub and Sproles clone comes highly endorsed by CU OC Eric Bienemy (Vikes old RB coach)
even though his nickname was 'speedy' Stewart he lacks the pad speed to be effective at the NFL level. He's small, gets swallowed up by the defense, and is not as elusive in the open field as one thinks he would be. He'll make a camp, but special teams/career backup is his upside if he hits. Covering the Buffs here (I do the pregame shows) there were several times when they'd face a soft defensive front, and I'd think Speedy would be in for a good day-- then the game would happen and he'd disappoint. Would love to see a Buff make an impact, but former Buff Darrell Scott is more likely to have an NFL impact than Stewart.

Jewel Hampton Southern Illinois. Former Hawkeye had breakout season this year and was gimpy at combine which is a concern. He blew up both knees while at Iowa and was reason he moved on.

Bryce Brown: talented knucklehead
Spot on quote about Brown, guy is VERY talented, just failed to put it all together and is a headcase. LOVE Jewel Hampton, but injuries will red flag him for teams. He'll make a practice squad and if he can stay healthy he has the natural talent and running style to be very productive at the NFL level. I believe Hampton could be 1,000-yard back if things fell into place for him.

He's the most likely to be Arian Foster out of this list. Foster was banged up throughout college, had good jr season, hurt senior year. Looked good at the Senior Bowl, but hurt his knee on the 3rd day of practice. Went undrafted, and now one of the NFL's best.

Saw Meggett at the Shrine Game and he certainly LOOKS the part...until the game goes live. Very rigid runner who struggles to change direction cleanly. The wiggle you would expect isn't there. He tries to be a bull between the tackles but isn't really built for that. I give him credit for being a willing inside runner but the leg drive doesn't come through. He took advantage of wide open holes at Maryland. I had high hopes for him but was let down at the Shrine.

Ronnie Hillman has really caught my eye lately, I think he could develop from a part time player year 1-2 into a starter at some point.
I love Hillman and think he could end up being the 3rd best RB in this class when all is said and done. He reminds me soooo much of LeSean McCoy it's scary. Agile, fast, instincts, willing inside/out runner, with INCREDIBLE in the box agility.

it seems like we're talking about rookies this year but people keep bringing up rookies from last year... anyway instead of making a new thread i'll throw this here since he's been mentioned a couple of times already... did anyone else see that bryce brown had a private pro day? not sure who was on hand but he put up some decent numbers - 4.3 - 4.4 40, 22 reps and a 34 inch vert.now his back and forth between kstate and tenn was definitely odd, he hasn't actually played much football since high school, and he's is only 20 (turns 21 after draft from what i understand). does anyone have any other recent info on the kid? he was really screwed by the whole kiffin saga in tenn it seems, but then after a stumble in kstate he went back there. was he misguided? he was very highly regarded out of high school - even moreso than t-rich by some. he's obviously got fresh legs. i wonder if there's teams that will take a chance on him... if so he seems like a good candidate for a late round hail mary imo.
I am not sure why they took that direction either. I provided a few long shots who became relevant in just a year to prove that this thread is worthy of the bandwidth it takes up, then people kept posting 2nd year players who aren't even really deep sleepers...not sure how/why that happens, but my guess is we have a lot of posters who's attention to detail is not a strength.As for Brown, tons of upside. Thanks for sharing that he did well at his pro day...hard to say what happened with his college career, but he could be one of those guys that ends up a better pro or he could be Maurice Clarrett. Who knows...

Saw him at the Shrine Game and was totally unimpressed. Measurables are nice, film is okay, but field level against better talent he was simply terrible. Danced too much, more build up speed than first step explosion. He won't get drafted and will be lucky to make a camp/practice squad.

Major games in college:2011

Kentucky= 28 carries 103 yards 3.8 YPC 0 TD, 2 receptions 21 yards 0 TD

Navy= 21 carries 131 yards 6.2 YPC 2 TD, 4 receptions 19 yards 0 TD

2010(these 4 games were all in a row to start the season)

Nebraska= 30 carries 155 yards 5.2 YPC 1 TD, 3 receptions 36 yards 0 TD

Kentucky= 22 carries 184 yards 8.4 YPC 2 TD, 1 reception -4 yards 0 TD

Indiana= 21 carries 105 yards 5.0 YPC 2 TD, 3 receptions 18 yards 0 TD

South Florida= 21 carries 64 yards 3.0 YPC 0 TD, 2 receptions 11 yards 0 TD

Being a marked man at WKU...looks like he had two bad games and 4 good to great games against the best competition.

Major games when he didn't get a big workload:

Tennessee= 8 carries 41 yards 5.1 YPC 1 TD

South Florida = 8 carries 56 yards 7.0 YPC 0 TD, 1 reception 0 yards 0 TD

Navy= 14 carries 99 yards 7.1 YPC 0 TD, 2 receptions 17 yards 1 TD

Alabama= 4 carries 11 yards 2.8 YPC 0 TD

Kentucky= 9 carries 99 yards 11.0 YPC 0 TD

Virginia Tech= 8 carries 54 yards 6.8 YPC 0 TD

3 out of 11 games with under a 5 YPC isn't bad being a Sun Belt conference playing much better competition.

'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
'Cecil Lammey said:

Major games in college:2011

Kentucky= 28 carries 103 yards 3.8 YPC 0 TD, 2 receptions 21 yards 0 TD

Navy= 21 carries 131 yards 6.2 YPC 2 TD, 4 receptions 19 yards 0 TD

2010(these 4 games were all in a row to start the season)

Nebraska= 30 carries 155 yards 5.2 YPC 1 TD, 3 receptions 36 yards 0 TD

Kentucky= 22 carries 184 yards 8.4 YPC 2 TD, 1 reception -4 yards 0 TD

Indiana= 21 carries 105 yards 5.0 YPC 2 TD, 3 receptions 18 yards 0 TD

South Florida= 21 carries 64 yards 3.0 YPC 0 TD, 2 receptions 11 yards 0 TD

Being a marked man at WKU...looks like he had two bad games and 4 good to great games against the best competition.

Major games when he didn't get a big workload:

Tennessee= 8 carries 41 yards 5.1 YPC 1 TD

South Florida = 8 carries 56 yards 7.0 YPC 0 TD, 1 reception 0 yards 0 TD

Navy= 14 carries 99 yards 7.1 YPC 0 TD, 2 receptions 17 yards 1 TD

Alabama= 4 carries 11 yards 2.8 YPC 0 TD

Kentucky= 9 carries 99 yards 11.0 YPC 0 TD

Virginia Tech= 8 carries 54 yards 6.8 YPC 0 TD

3 out of 11 games with under a 5 YPC isn't bad being a Sun Belt conference playing much better competition.
I know you like the kid, but from my on field observations (at the Shrine) in addition to watching the games you've listed (and many others) I'm just uncertain he'll even make a roster in the NFL.

'Xue said:
Hillman dances (and hops) more than Rainey.
Hillman does it as a 'Thurman Hop' (think Thurman Thomas), he's in total control. Rainey does it because he's unsure where to go, big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread