Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comfortably numb

Is it OK to Thaw Steak on the Counter?

58 posts in this topic

I never knew this.

My link

:bag:

Question: Can you safely defrost steak on the counter if it’s still tightly wrapped in the original store packaging?

Answer: Wrapped or not, that’s an unsafe move.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture warns that it’s dangerous to eat any meat that has been thawed at room temperature.

The problem is that even though the center of the packaged beef may remain very cold as it thaws, the meat's outer layer will be sitting between the bacteria-breeding temperatures of 40°F and 140°F for far too long to remain safe.

You’ve got three good options for thawing food: in the refrigerator, in cold water or in the microwave. Check here for everything you need to know about each of these methods.

I usually go for the cold water method.

I thaw it out in the oven.

Thawed in the microwave sucks and thawing in the refrigerator takes too long. Been doing it since I have been cooking. Never gotten sick because of it. Maybe that is why I never get sick, I have taken in so much bacteria over the years that I have a great immune system. :popcorn:

Thawed in the microwave sucks and thawing in the refrigerator takes too long. Been doing it since I have been cooking. Never gotten sick because of it. Maybe that is why I never get sick, I have taken in so much bacteria over the years that I have a great immune system. :popcorn:

Or you're immortal.

I thaw it out in the oven.

You get a much more even distribution of bacteria that way. :thumbup:

I usually go for the cold water method.

:goodposting: Quicker and safer. Definitely the way to go.

I put hot dogs on the roof.

Why the hell would you freeze steak?

Not everyone can afford to purchase freshly-killed cows. Some of us have to buy in bulk when it's on sale.

Not everyone can afford to purchase freshly-killed cows. Some of us have to buy in bulk when it's on sale.
Then you deserve any maladies you may catch as a result.

Just pour some ketchup on that bacteria. Really brings out the flavor.

In the non-greek frat type house I lived in in college, we would run large roasts and things like that through the industrial dishwasher to thaw them.

Or you're immortal.
There can be only one. :ninja:

Although thawing steaks on the counter is not a good idea, The temperatures on the surface during the cooking process will probably kill any harmful bacteria. Just don't ever do this with ground meat or chicken.

Although thawing steaks on the counter is not a good idea, The temperatures on the surface during the cooking process will probably kill any harmful bacteria. Just don't ever do this with ground meat or chicken.

I'm pretty sure the folks freezing their steaks are the same ones that cook it well done so it's a moot point, really.

I'm pretty sure the folks freezing their steaks are the same ones that cook it well done so it's a moot point, really.
Probably, just don't want someone grilling me a burger at a BBQ using hamburger thawed on the counter. E. Coli isn't something to #### with.

I've never understood this. Doesn't cooking the meat kill the bacteria anyway, even if bacteria gets in the meat while it is defrosting?

Why would ground meat or chicken be any different?I've done the "defrost at room temp" thing my whole life and I've never gotten sick from it.

Why would ground meat or chicken be any different?I've done the "defrost at room temp" thing my whole life and I've never gotten sick from it.
If anything, groundbeef should be LESS of a problem than steak. You're going to cook it until it's completely done anyway so the bacteria should be killed in the process, whereas a steak is typically eaten rare/medium rare.Same with chicken, really.

I don't ever freeze steak, but I will pull it out of the fridge, spice it and let it sit for a while to get closer to room temprature before I grill it. Is this a problem? Note - cooked rare.

I'm sure you steak nerds will decry this, but I've done it - and it worked to perfection. Great sear, perfect medium rare all the way through.

http://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/2012/02/frozen-seared-steak/

I don't get what the extra step of freezing for an hour adds to this. I do steaks medium-rare on the skillet all the time without having to freeze them.

I'm sure you steak nerds will decry this, but I've done it - and it worked to perfection. Great sear, perfect medium rare all the way through.

I don't get what the extra step of freezing for an hour adds to this. I do steaks medium-rare on the skillet all the time without having to freeze them.
You really seem troubled by people freezing steaks, I find this quite odd.

:unsure:

:lmao:

I thaw them in my pants while at work.

How was Red Lobster, Moneybags?

How was Red Lobster, Moneybags?
It's the kind of place you have to eat at every fifteen years to remind yourself why you don't eat there. They didn't mess up my lobster, my biscuits or my beer, but the salads and my wife's meal were a disaster.

I think it is safe to thaw the meat on your counter top unless you have had any migrant farmers sitting buck naked on your counters after they have had a bad case of the mudbutt.

I never knew this.

My link

:bag:

Question: Can you safely defrost steak on the counter if it’s still tightly wrapped in the original store packaging?

Answer: Wrapped or not, that’s an unsafe move.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture warns that it’s dangerous to eat any meat that has been thawed at room temperature.

The problem is that even though the center of the packaged beef may remain very cold as it thaws, the meat's outer layer will be sitting between the bacteria-breeding temperatures of 40°F and 140°F for far too long to remain safe.

You’ve got three good options for thawing food: in the refrigerator, in cold water or in the microwave. Check here for everything you need to know about each of these methods.

Forgive me if I don't give a #### about the what the government thinks is safe for me.

I think it is safe to thaw the meat on your counter top unless you have had any migrant farmers sitting buck naked on your counters after they have had a bad case of the mudbutt.

It's in the second paragraph there if you read the whole article. Specifically mudbutt .

There was another guy who had an important message that involved saving people from their own actions. A lot of people tried to shut him up, too.

FYI, his name was Jesus.

I'm pretty sure the folks freezing their steaks are the same ones that cook it well done so it's a moo point, really.
FYP

There was another guy who had an important message that involved saving people from their own actions. A lot of people tried to shut him up, too.

FYI, his name was Jesus.

Even odder now

:scared:

"Thou shall not freeze their steak!"

http://www.kitchenko...n-seared-steak/

For people with your skill in making steak, there's no reason to do it at all. I bet you could do a perfect medium rare with a lighter and a magnifying glass.

I liked it because it left a huge margin for error in terms of cooking time. But, I'm not that awesome at making steak. :shrug:

In the non-greek frat type house I lived in in college, we would run large roasts and things like that through the industrial dishwasher to thaw them.

Glad you specificed this here. Makes the rest of the sentence make more sense.