What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryans Traded (1 Viewer)

football fan

Footballguy
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827bd334/article/eagles-to-acquire-lb-ryans-from-texans-for-midround-pick?module=HP11_breaking_news

Eagles to acquire LB Ryans from Texans for mid-round pick

The Philadelphia Eagles have agreed with the Houston Texans on a trade for linebacker DeMeco Ryans, Fox Sports insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported Tuesday.

Glazer reported that the Eagles will send the Texans a mid-round draft pick.

Ryans has been with the Texans for six seasons, making the Pro Bowl in 2007 and 2009.

Ryans has 636 tackles and 8.5 sacks in his career since being drafted in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827bd334/article/eagles-to-acquire-lb-ryans-from-texans-for-midround-pick?module=HP11_breaking_newsEagles to acquire LB Ryans from Texans for mid-round pickThe Philadelphia Eagles have agreed with the Houston Texans on a trade for linebacker DeMeco Ryans, Fox Sports insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported Tuesday.Glazer reported that the Eagles will send the Texans a mid-round draft pick.Ryans has been with the Texans for six seasons, making the Pro Bowl in 2007 and 2009.Ryans has 636 tackles and 8.5 sacks in his career since being drafted in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft.
:towelwave: :clap: :thumbup:

huge pickup for the Eagles...now all the mockers can remove Kuechly from that spot in the 1st.

He was not a good fit in the 3-4 of Wade Phillips....MLB is where he belongs and I expect a return to grace for Ryans.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was severely outplayed by Cushing and I dunno how healthy he is. Seems to have a Barrett Ruud story line. If he can get healthy he could be a LB2 type in Philly, otherwise its still Chaney.

He was severely outplayed by Cushing and I dunno how healthy he is. Seems to have a Barrett Ruud story line. If he can get healthy he could be a LB2 type in Philly, otherwise its still Chaney.
How does he get outplayed by a guy at a different position? Anyone who expected massive production out of the position he played in the 3-4 was kidding themselves. He's back in his more natural middle spot and will be a hug uptick for the Eagles.

Sigh. The persistent narrative that Ryans was not a fit for Wade Phillips' 3-4 bugs me.

I'm interested in the argument behind that assessment. The contention that Ryans is a true 4-3 Mike and is going back to a more natural position doesn't wash with me. The positions are more similar than most media types are making them out to be.

Anyone have a different argument or able to convince me that a 4-3 MLB is that much different than a Phillips' 3-4 WILB?

I don't think there is a big difference between the two, but I don't know really. What I do know is that he probably wasn't fully recovered early on, and started playing better towards the end of the season. Even his teammates are pissed he's gone...

I might be in the minority, but I was not impressed with Ryans last year, including at the end of the year. I don't think playing in the 3-4 had anything to do with his lack of production. He just didn't move as well or as explosively as he did before the torn Achilles.

I might be in the minority, but I was not impressed with Ryans last year, including at the end of the year. I don't think playing in the 3-4 had anything to do with his lack of production. He just didn't move as well or as explosively as he did before the torn Achilles.
"Even if you are in a minority of one, the truth is still the truth." -Ghandi

FWIW...

My link

Sizing up the Eagles' LB situation

Linebacker Jamar Chaney will likely get a chance to win the starting SAM job next season. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Andy Reid did not hesitate to say "Yes" yesterday when asked if he thought DeMeco Ryans was a three-down player.

He also avoided saying too much about the team's plans at the other linebacker spots. The Eagles currently have nine linebackers on their roster, and that number is likely to grow as free agency continues and the draft takes place in late April.

Below is a player-by-player breakdown of the different pieces the Eagles currently have and how they might fit going forward.

Jamar Chaney - He played 82.5 percent of the Eagles' snaps last season, starting out at SAM, before replacing Casey Matthews in the middle in Week 3. Chaney struggled throughout, and Juan Castillo began to use him more as a situational player towards the end of the season, taking him off the field in many passing situations.. Chaney played about 47 percent of the team's snaps from Weeks 14 to 16, before suffering an injury in the season finale. He had surgery to repair a herniated disk in his neck in January.

Reid was smart to not say Chaney has the edge at SAM. It was only a two-game tryout, but he really struggled in that spot last year (see my game writeups here and here). To be fair, the lockout-shortened offseason affected not only rookies, but second-year players like Chaney too. However, he should have to compete for a starting spot next season. Chaney showed flashes of being a good player as a rookie, but had far more downs than ups in 2011.

Brian Rolle - A sixth-round pick in 2011, Rolle probably had the best season of any Eagles linebacker. He took over at the WILL position in Week 4, showing he could compete against the run despite his size.

By the end of the season, he was being replaced in certain nickel packages. Rolle played about 62 percent of the team's defensive snaps; only Chaney was on the field more among linebackers.

I'd say Rolle is more of a favorite to win the WILL job than Chaney is to win the SAM job, but he'll still have to compete for it. The Eagles could sign or draft a player to compete at WILL. And several of the linebackers currently on the roster could at least be given the chance to unseat Rolle.

Casey Matthews - It was a roller coaster rookie season for Matthews, who was obviously not prepared for the role the Eagles put him in. He spent the first two weeks at middle linebacker, switched to WILL for a week and then barely saw the field until Week 14. But in the final four games, he was on the field for about 61 percent of the Eagles' defensive snaps.

It's probably unfair to judge a player after one season, but if Matthews is going to develop into an every-down linebacker at some point, he'll have to prove himself to anyone who saw him struggle against the run in 2011.

Assuming Ryans never comes off the field, that leaves one nickel linebacker spot open. Matthews had some good moments in coverage towards the end of the season. He should be in the mix to play in that package, but will have to fight for playing time.

Keenan Clayton - Heading into Week 11, Clayton had played a total of 11 defensive snaps. It would be an understatement to say the coaching staff didn't trust the speedy fourth-round pick from 2010. Despite the Eagles' struggles at linebacker, not only did Clayton spend most of his time on the sideline, but he didn't even dress in Weeks 6 and 7.

In the final four weeks, though, he played about 37 of the Eagles' defensive snaps, entering the games in nickel and dime situations. Clayton played relatively well too. At this time last year, I thought he would compete for the starting WILL position. That obviously didn't happen. If he's going to get on the field now, it will likely be in a specialized role in coverage, similar to what I described with Matthews.

Or the Eagles could get a little creative and try him out at safety, which the Daily News' Paul Domowitch recently suggested.

Either way, Clayton is no lock to make the Eagles' 53-man roster.

Moise Fokou - His 2011 season ended in late November, after Fokou suffered an ankle injury against the Patriots. Before that, he played both WILL and SAM, staying on the field for about 39 percent of the team's defensive snaps.

If the Eagles don't make any more significant moves at linebacker, he'll likely get a chance to at least compete for the starting SAM job. But Fokou is probably best suited for a backup/special teams role.

Akeem Jordan - The same can be said for Jordan. He filled in for Fokou at SAM in the second half of last season and could get an opportunity to compete for that spot if the Eagles don't add any more pieces.

But more likely, he'll get a chance to fill in as a backup/special-teams player. Jordan led the team with 14 special-teams tackles in 2011.

Greg Lloyd - A seventh-round pick in 2011, he spent most of last season on the practice squad before being promoted to the 53-man roster. But Lloyd was never active on gameday. He's a longshot to make the team in 2012.

Monte Simmons - He was an undrafted free agent out of Kent State, who spent 2011 on the 49ers' practice squad. The Eagles signed him earlier this offseason.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Sizing-up-the-Eagles-LB-situation.html#ixzz1pwe8ABFD

Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

In other words none of them figure to be IDP LB stars! Ryans might help that LB group out and make it a little better but it's still a really weak group as a whole and as individual IDP players most likely. So to me, my sights would definitely be far more set on who will play the safety positions and how do we value those guys as IDPs...

My link

Andy Reid did not hesitate to say "Yes" yesterday when asked if he thought DeMeco Ryans was a three-down player.
Two items with DeMeco Ryans...1) His role: Per Reid's quote he'll be a 3 down LB (in the Eagles 4-3). Considering Reid had no other meaningful insights at the position, that sounds promising to me

2) His health: We know he, at minimum, passed the Eagles physical. Not sure what else is known?

Seems like a nice uptick in his fantasy value vs. staying in Houston. Especially considering the talent competing with him for tackles on the Texans vs the Eagles.

Ryans will probably bounce back and be more like the player IDPers have come accustom to and all the credit will be because of a change of scheme. However there was more to it than that…

The lockout prolonged his recovery from the Achilles injury he suffered in mid- October 2010; DeMeco said it was a full year before he felt 100%.

He was behind the 8-ball right from the start, due to the lockout and the elbow injured he suffered in mid-August causing him to miss nearly all the preseason. He simply wasn’t able to get much work in the new system.

Nagging injuries (shoulder, wrist, and hamstring) either limited him in practices or caused him to miss them entirely.

Coming out on passing downs-limiting him to a 2 down role was probably a difficult adjustment for a player who is not only used to playing every down, but being a defensive leader.

Correct me if I’m wrong Jene, doesn’t Phillips 3-4 have a lot of 4-3 looks and concepts? And wasn’t it Cushing not Ryans who played mike in these looks?

Users who are viewing this thread