What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow Expects to Beat out Sanchez for #1 QB (1 Viewer)

JD8p

Footballguy
Well done, Jets front office.

This gets worse and worse everyday. So now it is public that regardless what role the team envisions for him, or what he was told he will do, Tebow fully expects to beat out Mark Sanchez as the Jets starter.

I am sorry, but Tebow's play does not offset the circus that comes with it - especially when you have a young QB who has shown glimpses, but regressed toward the end of last season.

This trade is going to utterly hammer the Jets over the next couple of years. I would not be surprised to see neither guy on the team by the end of the 2013 season.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/tim-tebow-ny-jets-a-backup-thinks-beat-mark-sanchez-starting-quarterback-job-sources-article-1.1049461

Are there any actual quotes from Tebow about this? I didn't see any from the PFT article. If not, what's the story here?

OF COURSE, Tebow wants a shot at the starting job. Why would he ever content to be mediocre Mark Sanchez's backup?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's ON

According to the New York Daily News, Tim Tebow chose the Jets over the Jaguars in large part because he "sees a clear path" to the starting quarterback job.

Who can blame Tebow for believing he can beat out a quarterback who regressed in major fashion last season? Per Pro Football Focus, Mark Sanchez was one of four starting quarterbacks with a lower passing grade than Tebow last year. If Sanchez doesn't show substantial improvement -- all the while battling the Tebow circus -- there could be a new starter in New York by mid-season.

Can we all just get over worrying about Sanchez' apparently fragile feelings?

Some competition should do the kid some good and it'll be great for the team. Coddling a mediocre QB does him no good and is terrible for a locker room.

Didn't the Jets make the AFC championship game the last time Sanchez had his job security threatened?

Some competition should do the kid some good and it'll be great for the team. Coddling a mediocre QB does him no good and is terrible for a locker room.

Didn't the Jets make the AFC championship game the last time Sanchez had his job security threatened?
Ya know what you end up with? David Carr.

I'm starting to think this was a brilliant move for the Jets.They've got a young QB with potential that he isn't living up to, in Sanchez. It's time to find out if he's the right QB or not.

One way or another, bringing in Tebow should help speed up that process.

I think tebow had a better chance of beating out henne or gabbert before sanchez but maybe he feels that if he can beat out sanchez the jets are the better team and he can get to a super bowl quicker than with the jags or be in a better position to win

I think tebow had a better chance of beating out henne or gabbert before sanchez but maybe he feels that if he can beat out sanchez the jets are the better team and he can get to a super bowl quicker than with the jags or be in a better position to win
I haven't seen a Tebow quote on this from the articles I saw.Re: Tebow's preference... if it was NY, I'd imagine it was driven by the market if anything. Dude is going see an instantaneous increase in endorsement opportunities.

aside from obviously being a great wildcat option, has any starting QB(in this case former at the moment) ever played special teams? i can imagine Tebow being great on kick coverage for both KO and punts. how scared would special team coaches be seeing Tebow being the upback guy with his ability to run and good on the fly improv passing skills(his only real good passing quality). many reported he'l be their new or brad smith replacement but i think he can bring more dimensions(well aside from returning kicks)

i do remember drew stanton playing special teams but starting and drew stanton is a incase of emergency break glass type situation. i don't think the lions cared so much if he got hurt

I haven't seen a Tebow quote on this from the articles I saw.Re: Tebow's preference... if it was NY, I'd imagine it was driven by the market if anything. Dude is going see an instantaneous increase in endorsement opportunities.
Most likely the market, he's said he wants to use football as a platform to spread his message, what better market than NY...and what's more effective than a message from the starting QB....all part of the path laid before him. That being said, Sanchez is not that much better (if he's even) than Tebow. He could lose it.

Could have been driven by the Jets coaching staff wanting him & the Jags owner forcing him onto the team.

I just realized, this was the last straw. Rex's last ditch effort to motivate sanchez. "If you dont play better, at anything - Then Tebow replaces you" Lmfao, its so simple.

When was the last time Tebow or Sanchez improved at anything football?

The only issue I see is that the Jets came out and said Sanchez is the starter and Tebow is the backup.

That said, I have no problem with a player, any player, saying he wants to succeed. Any player that is content to be a backup will never be a star. I love Tebow's work ethic and enthusiasm. I hate the Jets, but as a football purist, I would love to see Tebow really work on his mechanics and become a decent pocket passer. People forget the kid's, well, just a kid. If he can improve his mechanics, he can be a star. He doesn't have to be a great passer, he just needs to improve from where he is at present. The rest of what he does can make him a solid QB if given the opportunity to succeed. Just my two cents.

The only issue I see is that the Jets came out and said Sanchez is the starter and Tebow is the backup. That said, I have no problem with a player, any player, saying he wants to succeed. Any player that is content to be a backup will never be a star. I love Tebow's work ethic and enthusiasm. I hate the Jets, but as a football purist, I would love to see Tebow really work on his mechanics and become a decent pocket passer. People forget the kid's, well, just a kid. If he can improve his mechanics, he can be a star. He doesn't have to be a great passer, he just needs to improve from where he is at present. The rest of what he does can make him a solid QB if given the opportunity to succeed. Just my two cents.
:goodposting:

Could have been driven by the Jets coaching staff wanting him & the Jags owner forcing him onto the team.
That was one of the angles being reported. He went where he was wanted. Rex and Tannebaum wanted him. Mularkey and Smith did not.

That was one of the angles being reported. He went where he was wanted. Rex and Tannebaum wanted him. Mularkey and Smith did not.
He just left a place where he wan't really wanted and Jax offered the same situation

It's ONAccording to the New York Daily News, Tim Tebow chose the Jets over the Jaguars in large part because he "sees a clear path" to the starting quarterback job.Who can blame Tebow for believing he can beat out a quarterback who regressed in major fashion last season? Per Pro Football Focus, Mark Sanchez was one of four starting quarterbacks with a lower passing grade than Tebow last year. If Sanchez doesn't show substantial improvement -- all the while battling the Tebow circus -- there could be a new starter in New York by mid-season.
:wall:In one swoop we have become the Miami freaking Dolphins.Sparano - CheckCelebrity crap - CheckStupid Owner - CheckWe're last years Dolphins - Decent Defense, decent run game / OL and a Gimmick #### ##### ####### ######### Offense.

Well put. I am not a huge Tebow fan, but as a Jets fan, I was much more disappointed they brought in Stanton versus someone who could actually give Sanchez a run for his money. While people talk about how Sanchez was the starter for two Conference runner-up teams, we forget the he has a career 55% completion rate, and a 55-51 TD-INT ratio (though he does have 12 running scores). He also has 29 fumbles (these are all regular season stats BTW), which are almost Tony Banks-like numbers with the fumbles. Guy has been "decent", but he needs to be pushed. Would there have been an outcry if GB got Tebow?? Of course not. So why should there be angst over a team bringing in competition against a guy with mediocre numbers? Matt Stafford, drafted 4 slots ahead of Sanchez has 5 more passing TDs and 14 less INTs, in 18 less games...think about that for a minute and then ask whether this is not a good thing. What is the "loss" if Sanchez curls up into a ball and folds??

And BTW OF COURSE One shoud expect Tebow to think he can be the Starter.

BUT, ######### to all those delusional Jets fans and others who tried to sell the "Oh don't get so upset, Tebow is just the new Brad Smith, Back up - Wild Cat QB. The circus can't get crazier than it is" Crap.

Meanwhile a lot of what Brad Smith brought to the table was on Special Teams....

What a mess.

Well put. I am not a huge Tebow fan, but as a Jets fan, I was much more disappointed they brought in Stanton versus someone who could actually give Sanchez a run for his money. While people talk about how Sanchez was the starter for two Conference runner-up teams, we forget the he has a career 55% completion rate, and a 55-51 TD-INT ratio (though he does have 12 running scores). He also has 29 fumbles (these are all regular season stats BTW), which are almost Tony Banks-like numbers with the fumbles. Guy has been "decent", but he needs to be pushed. Would there have been an outcry if GB got Tebow?? Of course not. So why should there be angst over a team bringing in competition against a guy with mediocre numbers? Matt Stafford, drafted 4 slots ahead of Sanchez has 5 more passing TDs and 14 less INTs, in 18 less games...think about that for a minute and then ask whether this is not a good thing. What is the "loss" if Sanchez curls up into a ball and folds??
I completely don't get this #### about "Pushing Sanchez"

The guy is a season or two away from being a Model / Sideline reporter.

DOES A MAN NEED MORE MOTIVATION THAN THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON NOW!

How about you give the guy consistent weapons, fortify the OL and get the run game back to where it was and find out if this guy can succeed in a real NFL offense with 100% backing of the Idiots who thought it was a good idea to draft a California boy with little experience who barely saw snow before?????

If not you simply move on and get another guy who could possibly be a REAL NFL QB!!!!!

How can you draft such a guy and then never stand by him and give him what he needs?

and then when you get an OC that seems like is a much better fit and will stick to the game plan you bring in SIDESHOW TIM???????

REALLY?????? And Jets fans think this is the road to success??????

And BTW OF COURSE One shoud expect Tebow to think he can be the Starter.BUT, ######### to all those delusional Jets fans and others who tried to sell the "Oh don't get so upset, Tebow is just the new Brad Smith, Back up - Wild Cat QB. The circus can't get crazier than it is" Crap. Meanwhile a lot of what Brad Smith brought to the table was on Special Teams.... What a mess.
I think Kiddnets is incorrect that he will provide the same function in the wildcat as Brad Smith did (he mentioned in other threads) as Tebow is not as fast or can't catch like Smith, but Tebow can throw better and is a more powerful runner (they are just different). BUT, I am not sure why you are opposed to Sanchez having competition. What has he done to warrant having only the "Jim Sorgi"s and "Curtis Painter"s of the world breathing down his neck? Guy needs competition and if he can't handle that, then it is no big loss for the Jets.

It's ONAccording to the New York Daily News, Tim Tebow chose the Jets over the Jaguars in large part because he "sees a clear path" to the starting quarterback job.Who can blame Tebow for believing he can beat out a quarterback who regressed in major fashion last season? Per Pro Football Focus, Mark Sanchez was one of four starting quarterbacks with a lower passing grade than Tebow last year. If Sanchez doesn't show substantial improvement -- all the while battling the Tebow circus -- there could be a new starter in New York by mid-season.
:wall:In one swoop we have become the Miami freaking Dolphins.Sparano - CheckCelebrity crap - CheckStupid Owner - CheckWe're last years Dolphins - Decent Defense, decent run game / OL and a Gimmick #### ##### ####### ######### Offense.
It could be worse. This year's Dolphins are last year's Colts. :sadbanana:

I'd like to take this time to thank the Jets for taking the spotlight off my craptastic Dolphins.Was quite happy with myself the other day when it was announced Tebow was going to the Jets . . . .until I got home form work and my 8 year old son proudly proclaimed that Tebow is now his favorite football player and he wants his jersey.OH THE PAIN !!! Can't win - might just give up sports in general. Can't take this anymore.

I'd like to take this time to thank the Jets for taking the spotlight off my craptastic Dolphins.Was quite happy with myself the other day when it was announced Tebow was going to the Jets . . . .until I got home form work and my 8 year old son proudly proclaimed that Tebow is now his favorite football player and he wants his jersey.OH THE PAIN !!! Can't win - might just give up sports in general. Can't take this anymore.
LOL...my GB and I (he is a Dolphan, I am a Jets fan) take pictures of each other's kids in opposing jerseys when the kids come over for play dates.

LOL...my GB and I (he is a Dolphan, I am a Jets fan) take pictures of each other's kids in opposing jerseys when the kids come over for play dates.
That's fantastic - will have to try that.

The issue is that regardless what role the coaching staff envisions, you now have a guy who is supposedly the backup QB saying "I chose to come here because I expect to beat out the starter".

That's not good.

Tebow is a terrible NFL QB - but I like his moxie.

I still shake my head at Orton giving up the chance to be a starting QB in the NFL. Maybe Tebow was a better choice for the Broncos last year, and might be for the Jets next year.

The move is just a "takeover the back page" type of move, it's not a football move.

I mean, if Tannenbaum were actually a football guy, I tend to think he would have talked Woody out of it. They fill no holes at all and in the end have created a headache for themselves that they didn't previously have.

It could be worse. This year's Dolphins are last year's Colts. :sadbanana:
I'd give my left nut to be last years Colts.Talk about Luck - Manning spurs the Jets, stays in school, lands in the lap of the Colts and then when he's through the next best QB prospect of all time falls in their lap - And we get Tebowed.

And BTW OF COURSE One shoud expect Tebow to think he can be the Starter.BUT, ######### to all those delusional Jets fans and others who tried to sell the "Oh don't get so upset, Tebow is just the new Brad Smith, Back up - Wild Cat QB. The circus can't get crazier than it is" Crap. Meanwhile a lot of what Brad Smith brought to the table was on Special Teams.... What a mess.
I think Kiddnets is incorrect that he will provide the same function in the wildcat as Brad Smith did (he mentioned in other threads) as Tebow is not as fast or can't catch like Smith, but Tebow can throw better and is a more powerful runner (they are just different). BUT, I am not sure why you are opposed to Sanchez having competition. What has he done to warrant having only the "Jim Sorgi"s and "Curtis Painter"s of the world breathing down his neck? Guy needs competition and if he can't handle that, then it is no big loss for the Jets.
Because "Competition" is ####Like I said, there is no greater internal competition than knowing you will be a Complete failure and looking for other work in 2 years...The guy was groomed to be a QB and worked at it for most of his life... But, OHHHHHHHHHHHHH now Tebowmania comes to town and he's going to what TRY HARDER??????????Guy was balls to the wall working to improve this year with a hopefully better OC, OL, and maybe a WR or 2 he can work with for more than 1 season.How can you develop a s aQB when you will never survive the pitfalls all 4th year QB's with his lack of experience need to go through - What Eli went through:????????Never will he survive a 3 or 4 INT day like all good QB's fight through without Tebowmania running wild...It's a mockery and IMO Sanchez' career is officially doomed - I held out hope but, no way does this work out well.

When was the last time Tebow or Sanchez improved at anything football?
Sanchez has started 47 games at QB in the NFL, Tebow 14. So saying Tebow hasn't improved might be a bit premature.For those thinking it's laughable that Tebow would beat out Sanchez, here are some interesting stats to this point in their NFL careers:

Regular Season Passer Rating:

Sanchez: 73.2

Tim T: 75.1

INT% -

Sanchez: 3.6%

Tim T: 2.5%

TD%

Sanchez: 3.9%

Tim T: 4.8%

Completion %:

Sanchez: 55.3%

Tim T: 47.3%

So congrats to Mark on having a better completion %...by 8 points and congrats to Tim Tebow for having better QB stats in TD ratio, fewer INTs per attampt and a better passer rating. And we havn't talked about rushing yards at all. From a purely passing standpoint, if Tebow can increase his completion percentage by ~9% his numbers would be better than Sanchez's in almost any way you want to look at them - despite having two full season fewer NFL starts under his belt.

And for the mathmatically challenged - the numbers are all %, so yes, they take into account the fact that Tebow was asked to throw fewer passes.

I could have also gone into TD/INT ratio or overall scoring by including Tebows rushing TDs, but did not. From a purely passing statisitical basis, Tebow should not necessarily be as far from starting as some (including Sanchez) would like to think.

The move is just a "takeover the back page" type of move, it's not a football move.I mean, if Tannenbaum were actually a football guy, I tend to think he would have talked Woody out of it. They fill no holes at all and in the end have created a headache for themselves that they didn't previously have.
The "back page" argument (and many are making it, not meaning to pick on you), is just lame. The Jets lacked a playmaker. The only "dynamic" playmaker they have on offense is Holmes (who just threw his QB under the bus). Tebow is by far the best playmaker anyways, and if you pull Holmes out of the equation, you have Keller and Greene fighting for "next most explosive"...worst case scenario, it plays out and the Jets know where they stand...either way, they have added a playmaker and will solidify a starter regardless of who it is.

Any QB who doesn't expect to beat out Mark Sanchez has no business being in the NFL.
Yep. Just looking at the raw metrics for passing, Sanchez is in the bottom five of NFL QB1's. Any backup to Sanchez should feel good about their chances to get a shot at some point because he's simply not that good. That said, Tebow is also in the bottom five. But I do think Tebow can improve and gives you another dimension with rushing, whereas Sanchez seems like he'll never offer much much more than what he does now.

There's no way they brought Tebow in just to run the Wildcat or even to be a typical backup. I for one don't think Ryan or Sparano would have the slightest of issues playing ball control and trying to run the ball down their opponents throats and I think both feel they could do just that with Tebow at the helm. They'll give Sanchez a fair shake at keeping the starting job, but make no mistake, he's going to have to pick his game up.

Any QB who doesn't expect to beat out Mark Sanchez has no business being in the NFL.
Yep. Just looking at the raw metrics for passing, Sanchez is in the bottom five of NFL QB1's. Any backup to Sanchez should feel good about their chances to get a shot at some point because he's simply not that good. That said, Tebow is also in the bottom five. But I do think Tebow can improve and gives you another dimension with rushing, whereas Sanchez seems like he'll never offer much much more than what he does now.
Where did 2003 Brees rank in those metrics?

Almost a valid point. At the end of 2003, Brees had only started 27 games though - Sanchez has already started 47. Your point actually makes the argument for giving Tebow (who only has started 14 games) more of chance to develop and prove he is capable of being the starting QB.

Almost a valid point. At the end of 2003, Brees had only started 27 games though - Sanchez has already started 47. Your point actually makes the argument for giving Tebow (who only has started 14 games) more of chance to develop and prove he is capable of being the starting QB.
It's only a matter of time before Tebow gets knocked out of some games. He all ready would have been out if Denver had beaten NE.

True, but he only started 27 games because he couldn't beat out a 90 year old Doug Flutie.

Here is my issue with this trade that JETS fans don't want to address. Is Tebow the backup QB or a Gadget QB? I don't think he can be both. We saw what happened in Denver when Fox tried to Force Tebow into a typical pro style offense. It was ugly. That team had to make the call to change the playbook to play to Tebow's strengths. Are the Jets going to try to do the same and force a standard offense on Timmy? OR are they going to give him his own package? Now if Sanchez goes down, does the ENTIRE team move to a different offensive package? These are the things that dont add up. NYJ struggled enough last season to pass the ball. And instead of working on those issues, they bring in a QB2 who has shown needs a modified playbook to succeed. Now the JETS will take valuable practice time away from the already sub par passing game to learn a second offense? :confused: They either need to commit to Sanchez and keep Stanton #2 with Tebow as a situational guy. Or make Tebow the starter. To try and play this both ways is going to be a mess.

It's only a matter of time before Tebow gets knocked out of some games. He all ready would have been out if Denver had beaten NE.
True, but he only started 27 games because he couldn't beat out a 90 year old Doug Flutie.
I'm sorry - but you guys are losing me a little here. Are we measuring by actual stats and facts based on things that actually did occur or "wouldda, couldda, shouldda" things and imaginary stats that might have happened? When Tebow backers quote things like "immeasurables" and "he just wins" or "look at 4th quarter come-backs" - Tebow-haters scream "look at the stats!!" Now we're looking at stats, and now you're saying....what exactly? :confused: I have had both Sanchez and Tebow on FF teams. I am not a Jets fan - in other words, I have no horse in this race. I am simply trying to look at the numbers objectively. Tebow seems to have more upside than Sanchez, based largely on the fact that other than completion %, Tebow > Sanchez in most other passing categories, despite having 33 fewer NFL starts under his belt - and that's not even taking into account Tebow's running ability. Even if you don't count his rushing (or limit it to avoid injury) - Tebow, to this point, seems to be a better passer, going by the numbers (the ones that actually happened.)

We saw what happened in Denver when Fox tried to Force Tebow into a typical pro style offense. It was ugly.
Eh. He had one ugly game vs Detroit (in his 3rd start of the year, 6th of his career) and Fox panicked and overreacted. He had an ugly game just like every young QB does. Guys like Brady, Stafford, and especially Mcnabb had even uglier games that early on in their careers. For whatever reason, Tebow just wasn't allowed the early growing pains that most young QBs get. He had 1 really bad game in 6 and his coach flipped out and stopped throwing the ball.Remember, they ran a more pro style offense when he came in during his rookie year and it went pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread