What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (1 Viewer)

which backup OF would you keep: Brantley or Markakis?

(TB)- 1

(BB)- 1

®- 1

(RBI)- 1

(SB)- 2

(K)- -1

(CS)- -1

Last edited by a moderator:
Why wouldn't you start Wandy vs Chicago? If he's on your team, what other team would you rather pitch against? You're at home, the Cubs biggest offensive threat is a career .190 hitter vs lhp......and the Bucs are the biggest favorite to win on the board today (in the entire majors)

Why wouldn't you start Wandy vs Chicago? If he's on your team, what other team would you rather pitch against? You're at home, the Cubs biggest offensive threat is a career .190 hitter vs lhp......and the Bucs are the biggest favorite to win on the board today (in the entire majors)
The only thing that would make me worried about starting Wandy is the 16 innings played yesterday. If he gets in trouble, that leash is likely to be long which could mean some really bad numbers at the end of the day.

I kind of like this Almonte kid in Seattle.

Doesn't seem to be much fantasy interest, but he's lead-off hitter for a solid lineup with some speed that can get on-base. He started to hit for a little power in the minors (some combination of the PCL, finally getting healthy and sober, and improved skill, I guess)

Fangraphs article on him from back in Feb: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/the-sneaky-fantasy-value-of-abraham-almonte/

And that was with the assumption that he'd be the 4th OF. Now he looks to be the everyday CF/lead-off man

Everyone is loving this Mariners offense all of a sudden. Its amazing what Cano (or the Angels pitching) has done to change everyone's view. It should be interesting to see which it is. I still think guys like Smoak, Almonte, & Ackley are not fantasy options. I think Miller is for real

Everyone is loving this Mariners offense all of a sudden. Its amazing what Cano (or the Angels pitching) has done to change everyone's view. It should be interesting to see which it is. I still think guys like Smoak, Almonte, & Ackley are not fantasy options. I think Miller is for real
If Miller is real, then the guy hitting in front of he and Cano is a fantasy option as long as he's getting on-base. Almonte was a .400 OBP guy in the minors last year, which coincided with an improved walk-rate (which so far has carried over in the first couple of games this season).

Who knows what'll happen, but he seems like the sort of guy that should be owned in a lot of leagues to me.

If Miller is real, then the guy hitting in front of he and Cano is a fantasy option as long as he's getting on-base. Almonte was a .400 OBP guy in the minors last year, which coincided with an improved walk-rate (which so far has carried over in the first couple of games this season).

Who knows what'll happen, but he seems like the sort of guy that should be owned in a lot of leagues to me.
I think Almonte's upside is limited. I don't see a little guy like him hitting for much power at this level. There's nothing in his minor league resume to suggest he has exceptional speed. I see his power/speed best case as 10/25 or thereabouts. His value will depend on whether he can get on base often enough to be a 2 1/2 category player.

I dont knoiw how much sense that makes. Guys like Harper, Werth, and Desmond are fantasy studs yet the guy who hits in front of them (Span) is barely a fantasy option.

I dont knoiw how much sense that makes. Guys like Harper, Werth, and Desmond are fantasy studs yet the guy who hits in front of them (Span) is barely a fantasy option.
If Almonte also has a .327 OBP, then no, he won't be a great fantasy option.

Even a very limited offensive player like Span, in the right situation, can be useful. He doesn't get on base very much, has no power, barely useful in steals, but the 75 runs he scored was enough to put him at OF46 last year (ESPN Player Rater). Right behind Cespedes and ahead of Fowler and Bourne.

Even a very limited offensive player like Span, in the right situation, can be useful. He doesn't get on base very much, has no power, barely useful in steals, but the 75 runs he scored was enough to put him at OF46 last year (ESPN Player Rater). Right behind Cespedes and ahead of Fowler and Bourne.
I see Almonte as kind of an Adam Eaton Lite but I have more faith in Eaton's on-base skills.

I also don't trust Seattle's offense. They should be improved from last year but they scored fewer runs last year than Washington, even with the DH.

Eephus said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:

I see Almonte as kind of an Adam Eaton Lite but I have more faith in Eaton's on-base skills.

I also don't trust Seattle's offense. They should be improved from last year but they scored fewer runs last year than Washington, even with the DH.
Yeah, definitely hard to trust or know exactly what to make of Almonte's improvements from last year, and I agree he seems like 10-25 might be his best case. And there seem to be a lot of 10-25 guys. Useful, but a lot of them.

Eephus said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:

Yeah, definitely hard to trust or know exactly what to make of Almonte's improvements from last year, and I agree he seems like 10-25 might be his best case. And there seem to be a lot of 10-25 guys. Useful, but a lot of them.
If he can stay near the top of the order, he'll be a guy you can pick up as an injury replacement in a standard league and hopefully bank a few steals before your regular comes back.

pollardsvision said:
Well Span played in 152 games compared to 119 for Fowler, 130 for Bourn, and 135 for Cespedes.

Eephus said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:

I don't love Almonte and don't think much of his upside, but there were only eight guys in all of baseball last year who went 10-25

Segura

A.Rios

S.Marte

C.Gomez

Trout

McLouth

Kipnis

McCutchen

What's the feeling on Kolten Wong?

In a H2H league that counts 1 pt per BB and 2 pts per SB. Have a bench spot for a upside hitter and currently have Wong but Rendon is also on the wire. Ideally both should be rostered but I don't have the room really unless I want to drop a pitcher. Right now I like Wong over Rendon because of him hitting #2 in the Cards order but Rendon has been moving around the order as well.

Eephus said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:

I don't love Almonte and don't think much of his upside, but there were only eight guys in all of baseball last year who went 10-25

Segura

A.Rios

S.Marte

C.Gomez

Trout

McLouth

Kipnis

McCutchen
I was more referring to a type of player than a specific statistical benchmark.

Guys that'll probably give you 7-12 HRs and 18-30 SBs.

There are many of them, which is why nobody really cares about Almonte.

Eephus said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:

Segura

A.Rios

S.Marte

C.Gomez

Trout

McLouth

Kipnis

McCutchen
There were actually 16, but I was more referring to a type of player than a specific statistical benchmark.

He'd be a lot more interesting with MI eligibility

Eephus said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:

Segura

A.Rios

S.Marte

C.Gomez

Trout

McLouth

Kipnis

McCutchen
There were actually 16, but I was more referring to a type of player than a specific statistical benchmark.

Kinda figured that, was just saying there's more value in a 10-25 guy than that. Who were the other 8 though?

Eephus said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:

Segura

A.Rios

S.Marte

C.Gomez

Trout

McLouth

Kipnis

McCutchen

Kinda figured that, was just saying there's more value in a 10-25 guy than that. Who were the other 8 though?
Sorry, I had 20 steals in my head when I checked. You're right.

Eephus said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:
pollardsvision said:
shadyridr said:

Segura

A.Rios

S.Marte

C.Gomez

Trout

McLouth

Kipnis

McCutchen

He'd be a lot more interesting with MI eligibility
I guess it's too late to dream of that now with a pair of Hall of Famers clogging up the middle infield in SEA these days.

Anything to see with either Charlie Blackmon or Casey McGehee?
Same with me on Blackmon. I'm in a keeper league where we keep the guy for the round he was drafted. And if we drop them at any point, we have to give up a higher round to keep him. I REALLY think Corey Dickerson is the better talent of the two, but if Blackmon is the guy I can't afford to have this hole in my roster. I've probably had Blackmon 2-3 times over the years but kinda figured he had lost his chance. I hate Walt Weiss.

Or Ozuna?
Admittedly don't know a ton about him, but followed the CF battle all spring because a buddy of mine is really high on him. Had 69 HR over 334 games the last 3 minor league years, with a career 42-9 SB/CS rate. Looks like he'll walk a little bit but K a lot more, probably an average in the 250s or low 260s but with good pop and a little speed to go with it.

Also, how wrong am I to be mildy excited by Semien?

He's getting time at 2nd (not like 3rd is that deep either). He's got some pop, some speed, gets on base, and has a consistent and very productive minor league track record (though still very little time above AA).

I have no idea why he's only owned in 0.2% of leagues.

Also, how wrong am I to be mildy excited by Semien?He's getting time at 2nd (not like 3rd is that deep either). He's got some pop, some speed, gets on base, and has a consistent and very productive minor league track record (though still very little time above AA).I have no idea why he's only owned in 0.2% of leagues.
Two guys on the DL (keppinger / beckham) is what created this opportunity. Not sure he gets regular playing time when they come back

Also, how wrong am I to be mildy excited by Semien?He's getting time at 2nd (not like 3rd is that deep either). He's got some pop, some speed, gets on base, and has a consistent and very productive minor league track record (though still very little time above AA).I have no idea why he's only owned in 0.2% of leagues.
Two guys on the DL (keppinger / beckham) is what created this opportunity. Not sure he gets regular playing time when they come back
I agree Semien probably goes back to the bench or AAA when everybody's healthy but Keppinger, Beckham or Gillaspie aren't rock solid in their roles.

I agree Semien probably goes back to the bench or AAA when everybody's healthy but Keppinger, Beckham or Gillaspie aren't rock solid in their roles.
It seems the AB's would be there if he hits. Obviously, he'd need to start doing that very soon.

This is a team pining for the glory days of Joe Crede at 3B.

Anything to see with either Charlie Blackmon or Casey McGehee?
Same with me on Blackmon. I'm in a keeper league where we keep the guy for the round he was drafted. And if we drop them at any point, we have to give up a higher round to keep him. I REALLY think Corey Dickerson is the better talent of the two, but if Blackmon is the guy I can't afford to have this hole in my roster. I've probably had Blackmon 2-3 times over the years but kinda figured he had lost his chance. I hate Walt Weiss.
The decision to keep CarGo in left really hurt Dickerson's prospects this year. They played him in all three outfield spots last year but he's really a left fielder and lacks the range and arm strength to hold up in center or right for extended runs. I still think both he and Blackmon will get plenty of ABs over the course of the season, but Corey probably won't get regular playing time unless CarGo gets hurt.

May or may not be rostered in most leagues but Eovaldi is someone to pick up. Not sure how consistent he will be until he develops his secondary stuff but he is starting off the season dealing. Throws 95-99 with great command. Granted it is versus the Padres but he so far today he has gone 6 IP 7K 3H 0BB.

May or may not be rostered in most leagues but Eovaldi is someone to pick up. Not sure how consistent he will be until he develops his secondary stuff but he is starting off the season dealing. Throws 95-99 with great command. Granted it is versus the Padres but he so far today he has gone 6 IP 7K 3H 0BB.
A few posts back I mentioned streaming him today.

Although it's the Padres his "stuff" seems legit. He is worth keeping for at least another start or two.

And almonte hit a BOMB today. Haven't seen many lefties hit one farther in Oakland
I picked him up in my deep keeper, dropping Alexander Guerrero. I have some old OFers in that league (Holliday, Soriano, Victorino) and my goal this year was to add some youth. Got Tavares in a trade, kept Lake, drafted Kris Davis in supplemental draft, and now have scooped up Blackmon and Almonte off the wire.

Here is a good Fangraphs article on him, pretty interesting story. Guy definitely has pop from the left side of the plate, and if he's competing with Dustin Ackley for at bats, he's gonna get a long look this year.

Users who are viewing this thread