What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2012 MLB Regular Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
March 28-29, 2012

Japan Opening Series 2012, Tokyo

Seattle Mariners vs. Oakland Athletics

April 4, 2012

Opening Night, St. Louis Cardinals at Miami Marlins

April 5, 2012

Opening Day

April 10, 2012

The first date that a player placed on the 15-day disabled list during Spring Training may be reinstated (if placed on or backdated to March 26)

April 14, 2012

First date that a player optioned during Spring Training may be recalled

April 15, 2012

Jackie Robinson Day

May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

May 15, 2012

Earliest date that clubs may re-sign players that they unconditionally released between August 31, 2011, and March 31, 2012

May 18, 2012

Interleague Play begins

May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

Start of Closed Period for the 2012 First-Year Player Draft

June 4-6, 2012

First-Year Player Draft

June 16, 2012

First date that Clubs may trade an eligible free agent player who was signed after electing free agency

June 17, 2012

Father's Day

July 2, 2012

First date to sign international players for the following season

July 4, 2012

Independence Day

July 8, 2012

Taco Bell All-Star Sunday, Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City

Futures Game, Legends & Celebrity Softball

July 9, 2012

Home Run Derby, Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City

July 10, 2012

83rd All-Star Game, Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City

July 13, 2012

5 p.m. ET, signing deadline for players selected in the First-Year Player Draft

July 16, 2012

Competitive Balance and Forfeited Pick Lottery

First date that assignable draft selections may be traded (through October 3, 2012)

July 22, 2012

Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, Cooperstown, N.Y.

July 31, 2012

Non-waiver trade deadline, 4 p.m. ET

August 31, 2012

Waiver trade deadline. Postseason eligibility lists established at midnight ET

September 1, 2012

Active rosters increased from 25 to 40 players

September 11, 2012

September 11 Remembrance

October 3, 2012

End of 2012 MLB regular season

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the game even televised this morning? I tried to find it on MLB Network and they were showing an ST rerun.

Ackley!

Caught the audio. Sounded like both starting pitchers and both closers were sharp, and like Ichiro was Ichiro.

Ackley obviously big, and J. Weeks with a steal out of the gate.

Time will tell if I made the right move passing on Ack to grab Weeks a couple rounds later. Needed the speed. But naturally, right now I'm having nightmares where Ackley goes .300/20/20 or something. Maybe he'll at least get on base a lot and boost Ichiro's RBI count for me. :kicksrock:

I was excited when Jason Heyward homered on Opening Day last year too. Hopefully Ackley doesn't follow suit.

Was the game even televised this morning? I tried to find it on MLB Network and they were showing an ST rerun.Ackley!
Same thing when I tried to find it. It looks like it is only on television as a rerun at 8 AM CST on MLB Network.
It was televised (not sure of time) on ROOT Sports Network - will be REPLAYED tonight on MLB Network
I assumed that was the local channel for the Mariners but I am probably wrong. I am also assuming Seattle and Bay Area had the game live. Tomorrow's game will be replayed at 8 AM CST on MLB Network and probably later that day as well.

Was the game even televised this morning? I tried to find it on MLB Network and they were showing an ST rerun.Ackley!
Same thing when I tried to find it. It looks like it is only on television as a rerun at 8 AM CST on MLB Network.
It was televised (not sure of time) on ROOT Sports Network - will be REPLAYED tonight on MLB Network
games are live on MLB Network.......turned on the tube before the gym this morning...and BOOM, BASEBALL!!!!!

I assumed that was the local channel for the Mariners but I am probably wrong. I am also assuming Seattle and Bay Area had the game live. Tomorrow's game will be replayed at 8 AM CST on MLB Network and probably later that day as well.
Not live in Bay Area. CSN didn't want to use one of their allotted games on a 3AM broadcast. Plus, the A's are second class citizens when it comes to local media.

Watching game 2 now, but will have to leave soon.

Ackley-- struck out looking

Ichiro --hit a bouncer, Weeks made a gooid throw to get him out.

Weeks-- solid contact, but caught midfield

Pennington--same contact as Weeks, but fell in.

To me, Weeks looked good out there both hitting and fielding. Made nice contact a couple times. Happily, except for the SB, his numbers don't show it yet.

Can't say much so far except that he looks comfortable against other pros. His patience netted him a nice fat .417 OBP in AAA last year, so it's easy to see him nabbing a stranglehold on the leadoff spot out there till he gets expensive. A's seem willing to let the leadoff guy run, too.

I'd be contemplating moves to acquire this guy if I didn't already have him. Might go a little nuts in a keeper. Ackley won the battle, but Weeks is alive and well in the war. Big fan. :thumbup:

Any Angel's homers want to tell me about Trumbo? I know they're going to try him out at 3rd, but with Pujols where else will they play him? How will they get him at bats and how will he be in the lineup regularly? TIA

Any Angel's homers want to tell me about Trumbo? I know they're going to try him out at 3rd, but with Pujols where else will they play him? How will they get him at bats and how will he be in the lineup regularly? TIA
Not exactly a homer but I live in the area and have a lot of friends/family who are fans of the team. Right now it's a bit of a mess. Trumbo has looked decent at third (some good plays and sometimes some real ugly ones) but iirc Scioscia has said he'll top out at around 50 games at the position. They're also going to shuffle him between DH and OF. If Abreu is traded to the Indians as it's being rumored then he'll be in a position to get a lot more playing time. Right now it really is a massive logjam with Trumbo, Pujols, Hunter, Abreu, Wells, and Bourjos to split regular playing time. And Callapso will still get a lot of playing time at third as he's a much better glove. And Izturis is going to get love off the bench. Right now a question is how much change is going to take place (if any) from the Napoli gaffe. The GM was allegedly let go in large part for dumping him. But it was never a question of whether he could hit - his glove was just really crappy. We'll see if Scioscia is suddenly going to stop playing a better fielder for a better bat. I'm skeptical he's going to change his colors. Bill James is projecting him for 550+ at bats. I think 500 ab's is an optimistic projection. The 'plan' will imo depend on Abreu getting dumped asap and Trumbo not making any mistakes at the hot corner once the season starts.

Not exactly a homer but I live in the area and have a lot of friends/family who are fans of the team. Right now it's a bit of a mess. Trumbo has looked decent at third (some good plays and sometimes some real ugly ones) but iirc Scioscia has said he'll top out at around 50 games at the position. They're also going to shuffle him between DH and OF. If Abreu is traded to the Indians as it's being rumored then he'll be in a position to get a lot more playing time. Right now it really is a massive logjam with Trumbo, Pujols, Hunter, Abreu, Wells, and Bourjos to split regular playing time. And Callapso will still get a lot of playing time at third as he's a much better glove. And Izturis is going to get love off the bench. Right now a question is how much change is going to take place (if any) from the Napoli gaffe. The GM was allegedly let go in large part for dumping him. But it was never a question of whether he could hit - his glove was just really crappy. We'll see if Scioscia is suddenly going to stop playing a better fielder for a better bat. I'm skeptical he's going to change his colors. Bill James is projecting him for 550+ at bats. I think 500 ab's is an optimistic projection. The 'plan' will imo depend on Abreu getting dumped asap and Trumbo not making any mistakes at the hot corner once the season starts.
Abreu really been dissappointing this offseason. Probably worth less then 1.5mill on the open market. Angels going to pay him 9mill. He had a mediocore season last year. Instead of being a veteran leader and accept being a part-time player on a great team he's acted like a punk in order to get dealt. With fragile/aging players like Wells and Hunter he really is worth keeping for the Angels as oppossed to dealing him while picking up most of his salary. I know it's the A.L. but he's also a nice situational bat to have late in games.

Wow, thanks for the write up on Trumbo, Awesome. Appreciate the info. Have him on my bench but excited about his potential and hoping he sticks as a regular. Maybe I can trade some of my OF depth if Trumbo gets regular starts. Thanks again.

'Daywalker said:
Abreu really been dissappointing this offseason. Probably worth less then 1.5mill on the open market. Angels going to pay him 9mill. He had a mediocore season last year. Instead of being a veteran leader and accept being a part-time player on a great team he's acted like a punk in order to get dealt. With fragile/aging players like Wells and Hunter he really is worth keeping for the Angels as oppossed to dealing him while picking up most of his salary. I know it's the A.L. but he's also a nice situational bat to have late in games.
:goodposting:

Since he won't pitch again until the regular season, I figure this belongs here...................

I hope Ubaldo's arm falls off

I'm in the pro-DH camp but it's situations such as these that make me really appreciate the value of the pitcher standing in to get his due. It's a shame they won't play in Colorado this year.

'Grahamburn said:
Maybe Tulo was asking for it?
Or maybe, just maybe, Ubaldo quit on the Rockies last year and went after Tulo intentionally because he got called out for being a quitter. Since he don't have to get in the box, there is no repercussion for him to be a gutless wonder. I am actually surprised he only went after Tulo - I thought he'd throw at Carols Gonzales as well. What a punk.That said, Tulo should have known when he called him out that this was a possibility. Maybe he did but felt it was worth it. Here's hoping Tulo will be okay and Ubaldo continues to suck even if he doesn't get his deserved suspension. Abolish the DH!

'Grahamburn said:
Or maybe, just maybe, Ubaldo quit on the Rockies last year and went after Tulo intentionally because he got called out for being a quitter. Since he don't have to get in the box, there is no repercussion for him to be a gutless wonder. I am actually surprised he only went after Tulo - I thought he'd throw at Carols Gonzales as well. What a punk.

That said, Tulo should have known when he called him out that this was a possibility. Maybe he did but felt it was worth it. Here's hoping Tulo will be okay and Ubaldo continues to suck even if he doesn't get his deserved suspension. Abolish the DH!
Guys have been plunked for much less.

'Grahamburn said:
Or maybe, just maybe, Ubaldo quit on the Rockies last year and went after Tulo intentionally because he got called out for being a quitter. Since he don't have to get in the box, there is no repercussion for him to be a gutless wonder. I am actually surprised he only went after Tulo - I thought he'd throw at Carols Gonzales as well. What a punk.That said, Tulo should have known when he called him out that this was a possibility. Maybe he did but felt it was worth it. Here's hoping Tulo will be okay and Ubaldo continues to suck even if he doesn't get his deserved suspension. Abolish the DH!
or maybe, Tulo asked for it?

Not exactly a homer but I live in the area and have a lot of friends/family who are fans of the team. Right now it's a bit of a mess. Trumbo has looked decent at third (some good plays and sometimes some real ugly ones) but iirc Scioscia has said he'll top out at around 50 games at the position. They're also going to shuffle him between DH and OF. If Abreu is traded to the Indians as it's being rumored then he'll be in a position to get a lot more playing time. Right now it really is a massive logjam with Trumbo, Pujols, Hunter, Abreu, Wells, and Bourjos to split regular playing time. And Callapso will still get a lot of playing time at third as he's a much better glove. And Izturis is going to get love off the bench. Right now a question is how much change is going to take place (if any) from the Napoli gaffe. The GM was allegedly let go in large part for dumping him. But it was never a question of whether he could hit - his glove was just really crappy. We'll see if Scioscia is suddenly going to stop playing a better fielder for a better bat. I'm skeptical he's going to change his colors.

Bill James is projecting him for 550+ at bats. I think 500 ab's is an optimistic projection. The 'plan' will imo depend on Abreu getting dumped asap and Trumbo not making any mistakes at the hot corner once the season starts.
Shocking.

Closers dropping like flies.

Soria, Bailey, and now Farnsworth.

Farnsworth experiencing elbow soreness. Status for start of season uncertain

:yes:

:yes:
Would love to know the skinny but playing through an arm injury drastically different then playing through most injuries a position player goes through. Everyone seems to think Jimenez has had some sort of injury since his electric first half in 2010. Don't know the details but getting called out by a guy who just received a 10-year-deal could rub one the wrong way.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. If I'm Jiminez I probably plunk Tulo too. It's part of the game. Especially when a guy publicly calls you a quitter after you get traded away and he gets the extension you were hoping to get? Tulo basically rubbed it in his face. He's lucky Ubaldo didn't chuck it at his dome.

I realize Tulo's fantasy owners and Colorado fans are upset because Ubaldo came flying off the mound, and TT could have been injured. Oh well, he wasn't. Don't run your mouth about a guy if you don't want to get thrown at.

Nelson Cruz got drilled last night too. Nobody is freaking out about that. :shrug:

Just playing Devil's Advocate. If I'm Jiminez I probably plunk Tulo too. It's part of the game. Especially when a guy publicly calls you a quitter after you get traded away and he gets the extension you were hoping to get? Tulo basically rubbed it in his face. He's lucky Ubaldo didn't chuck it at his dome. I realize Tulo's fantasy owners and Colorado fans are upset because Ubaldo came flying off the mound, and TT could have been injured. Oh well, he wasn't. Don't run your mouth about a guy if you don't want to get thrown at.Nelson Cruz got drilled last night too. Nobody is freaking out about that. :shrug:
There is a HUGE difference in the Cruz situation versus the Tulo situation (I am a Cardinal fan - but one of my sons is a huge Rockie fan). You throw at a guy to protect your own team and I am okay with it. You throw at a guy because you are a gutless coward who has no repercussions for doing so and I am not okay with it. Now, truly in a ST game it makes even less sense. Guy is gutless - you can defend him all you want but what he did was cowardly. There is a place in the game for throwing high and tight - hell, Gibson earned a reputation because of it. What Ubaldo did was not part of the unwritten rules of the game. He is a coward.Then again, the same people defending him likely defended the beeyotch Cueto two summers ago.

Jose Reyes had the most pathetic defense I've seen from a shortstop since Hanley played the position. WTF was the play where he sortof waltzed past the grounder?

Hoping this team fizzles and we can get some entertainment from Ozzie and the gang during the meltdown.

Great move to bring Ali out, looking noticeably worse, to start things off on a huge downer. Sure Ali and his family want the appearance fee but the Marlins should have passed on this. Ali has no relevance to the event and it was more sad then anything IMO.

Would have been cooler to have brought out the first W.S. winning team and remind everyone that they have a shot but rich history.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread