What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Smith - RB (1 Viewer)

Good news for Kevin Smith owners IMO!
And bad news for owners of Best and LeShoure. Another owner in my league has both Best and LeShoure, and I've been offering him Smith in various deal (even for a future 2nd round rookie pick alone) and he's been laughing every offer away each time....who's laughing now?

They need someone. Best is a coma waiting to happen and Leshoure may never play.
What makes you think LeShoure "may never play". It's a tough sled to return from a torn Achilles, but I've seen nothing suggesting that he may never play again. He's expected to return and be play this year. To my knowledge, he's on track to do so..

I'd expect to see all 3 until one or more gets sidelined. I guess Smith is the slight favorite to be last man standing if nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not so sure. Granted it's a big "if", but if Best or Leshoure make it back into the fold, I think Smith will only get a handful of touches. If it were only one of Best or Leshoure to deal with, I'd be more optimistic.I wish he had gone to a team like Cleveland that has less competition (for now), but clearly this is where he wanted to be.

I'm not so sure. Granted it's a big "if", but if Best or Leshoure make it back into the fold, I think Smith will only get a handful of touches. If it were only one of Best or Leshoure to deal with, I'd be more optimistic.I wish he had gone to a team like Cleveland that has less competition (for now), but clearly this is where he wanted to be.
Yes, a 3-way split on a pass first team could be a lot of small individual results from the RB position there. Better from a team than fantasy perspective imo.

I think the best guy will get the touches, and Smith may very well be the best guy (over Best!)

They need someone. Best is a coma waiting to happen and Leshoure may never play.
What makes you think LeShoure "may never play". It's a tough sled to return from a torn Achilles, but I've seen nothing suggesting that he may never play again. He's expected to return and be play this year. To my knowledge, he's on track to do so..
Hi Bob,I was reading that he was not on track and that there were some front office banter about possibly needing to go find another RB. Detroit has come a long way and they have a weapons system in place with Calvin, they really just need a durable RB and possibly an upgrade at WR2/3 although the rookie from last year who's name eludes me will surely be even better in year 2 and help when Calvin is triple teamed :) My only point is that maybe Detroit will have 5 or 6 backs in camp this summer, most teams do but they may actually want to have guys in that stable who can actually compete for a spot or real playing time. Detroit and New Orleans seem to have problems finding that 1 guy they can rely on. I don't have a link Bob so just consider it as speculation if you like, but I had heard rumors and I want to say they were on Colin Cowherd's show in passing..."Detroit has some real issues facing them at RB"...something like that. Take it with a grain of salt.

Hi Bob,I was reading that he was not on track and that there were some front office banter about possibly needing to go find another RB. Detroit has come a long way and they have a weapons system in place with Calvin, they really just need a durable RB and possibly an upgrade at WR2/3 although the rookie from last year who's name eludes me will surely be even better in year 2 and help when Calvin is triple teamed :)

My only point is that maybe Detroit will have 5 or 6 backs in camp this summer, most teams do but they may actually want to have guys in that stable who can actually compete for a spot or real playing time. Detroit and New Orleans seem to have problems finding that 1 guy they can rely on.

I don't have a link Bob so just consider it as speculation if you like, but I had heard rumors and I want to say they were on Colin Cowherd's show in passing..."Detroit has some real issues facing them at RB"...something like that. Take it with a grain of salt.
Titus Young

I think the Lions draft will give us another clue about Best/Leshoure. No RBs taken means they are all good to go (at least to start the year).

I was reading that [Mikel Leshoure] was not on track and that there were some front office banter about possibly needing to go find another RB.... My only point is that maybe Detroit will have 5 or 6 backs in camp this summer, most teams do but they may actually want to have guys in that stable who can actually compete for a spot or real playing time.... I don't have a link Bob so just consider it as speculation if you like, but I had heard rumors and I want to say they were on Colin Cowherd's show in passing..."Detroit has some real issues facing them at RB"...something like that. Take it with a grain of salt.
Below are the most recent Leshoure reports I've seen, on March 7. Not sure how much to credit them, but it sounds promising."After a full season's worth of recovery time, Leshoure says that he believes 100% that he is going to be ready for the 2012 season opener.""I'm feeling pretty good when I run," Leshoure said. "I have no soreness or anything like that—no pain. I'm not full-speed sprints or cuts or anything like that, but just jogging in laps and half-gassers across the field and stuff. It's building up slowly and I can definitely see progress. I'm 100 percent sure I'll be ready for the season."While RB Mikel Leshoure says he could participate in Detroit's offseason workouts, he's quick to point out that the Lions won't rush him back to action until trainers are certain that his Achilles' tendon is fully healed. "We're going to take our time," he told DetroitLions.com. "We've got until September -- first game. That's the major goal, to be ready by then.”http://detroit.sbnation.com/detroit-lions/2012/3/7/2851765/mikel-leshoure-injury-update-detroit-lionshttp://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-03-07/jahvid-best-mikel-leshoure-detroit-lions-2012http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/17650610"Mikel Leshoure, recovering from a torn Achilles, is expected to take part in the off-season program next month." (from March 22)http://www.freep.com/article/20120322/SPORTS01/203220411/Lions-notebook-Oregon-RB-LaMichael-James-visits?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|FRONTPAGE

Hi Bob,I was reading that he was not on track and that there were some front office banter about possibly needing to go find another RB. Detroit has come a long way and they have a weapons system in place with Calvin, they really just need a durable RB and possibly an upgrade at WR2/3 although the rookie from last year who's name eludes me will surely be even better in year 2 and help when Calvin is triple teamed :) My only point is that maybe Detroit will have 5 or 6 backs in camp this summer, most teams do but they may actually want to have guys in that stable who can actually compete for a spot or real playing time. Detroit and New Orleans seem to have problems finding that 1 guy they can rely on. I don't have a link Bob so just consider it as speculation if you like, but I had heard rumors and I want to say they were on Colin Cowherd's show in passing..."Detroit has some real issues facing them at RB"...something like that. Take it with a grain of salt.
The Lions definitely need to find a RB that they can rely on. Definitely agree with that sentiment as it will help them win close games, protect leads and keep their defense fresh all at the same time. I still think Schwartz envisions LeShoure as that guy, or at least he hopes he'll return to health and prove to be that guy in camp this summer. Interestingly, they've also been looking at LaMichael James from Oregon, who is more like Best than LeShoure. I think that's telling. I don't think the Lions can rely on Best, and this indicates to me that they're actively pursuing a plan B. To me, Smith is more of a back that could fill a role for depth, but he's versatile enough to do both. He is depth, though, and without injury he'd likely be relegated to that type of role.The Lions also signed Joique Bell to a 2-year deal late last season with an eye on potentially developing him. IMO, he's camp fodder (and a local guy that could be a nice story if it works out). Given the Lions situation, though, it wouldn't surprise me to see Smith, Bell or a rookie/FA surfacing this year with some fantasy value. But if I'm playing the odds now, I'd say LeShoure is option A, and after that, it's either Smith, a player who will be drafted, or Bell as a looooong shot.As you said, take that with a grain of salt. I think draft day could change things. Keep in mind how often the Lions front office has traded up or taken a back in the first couple rounds over the last 5 to 10 years in search of their next back (K. Jones, Calhoun, K. Smith, Best, LeShoure, etc).

And bad news for owners of Best and LeShoure. Another owner in my league has both Best and LeShoure, and I've been offering him Smith in various deal (even for a future 2nd round rookie pick alone) and he's been laughing every offer away each time....who's laughing now?
I'd say he might still be laughing. Honestly, I don't think this does anything except STRENGTHEN his position because everyone knows Smith is every bit as fragile as they come. And he wasn't even signed by any team in the league last year until November. A move like this makes me think its just for price/familiarity/convenience, keeps the Lions from having to use a draft pick late, and overall points towards the Lions feeling better about Best and LeShoure than us hopeful fantasy owners.

I think the best guy will get the touches, and Smith may very well be the best guy (over Best!)
No disrespect meant but you are dillusional if you think Smith is better than Best (no pun intended). I think people who picked Smith up off waivers last year and got those couple of nice games are overthinking this a bit. This is the same guy that never lived up to his fantasy hype the first time around and got injured often and was completely out of football until November. For no one to even bring him in before then sends a message on his talent.Again, this isn't a statement of who is believed to get injured first or whatnot, but from a talent level, we have seen that Best is a top 5-7 RB in Fantasy when he is on the field.

Overall, I think we all need to take a step back and rethink what we are talking about here. this is a LOT of hype to be drummed up over the 3rd RB on the depth chart of a team that primarily throws the ball. this is equivalent to having this discussion about Mike Hart in 2010.

this is equivalent to having this discussion about Mike Hart in 2010.
Not really. Addai wasn't coming off of a torn achilles, and Donald Brown wasn't a hit away from yet another concussion and maybe never playing again.Smith showed last year that when given the chance (and when he's healthy himself), he can produce in that offense. He did have 7 TDs over a 6 game stretch. That doesn't happen by accident. He had 4.9 YPC (lead all RBs on that team), that's not an accident either though I know it was on "limited touches" (still over 11 carries per game over that 6 game stretch). Lets not forget that he did have over 2,500 rushing yards his last year in college (led the nation). He's no slouch, but he has been labeled an "injury risk". Then again, so are the two guys in front of him.This isn't the best argument to make, but what "3rd RB on the depth chart" would you rather have over Smith? I can't think of many RBs who are 3rd on the depth chart who have a higher potential ceiling.edit...ok, maybe Mike Tolbert....

No disrespect meant but you are dillusional if you think Smith is better than Best (no pun intended). I think people who picked Smith up off waivers last year and got those couple of nice games are overthinking this a bit. This is the same guy that never lived up to his fantasy hype the first time around and got injured often and was completely out of football until November. For no one to even bring him in before then sends a message on his talent.Again, this isn't a statement of who is believed to get injured first or whatnot, but from a talent level, we have seen that Best is a top 5-7 RB in Fantasy when he is on the field.

Overall, I think we all need to take a step back and rethink what we are talking about here. this is a LOT of hype to be drummed up over the 3rd RB on the depth chart of a team that primarily throws the ball. this is equivalent to having this discussion about Mike Hart in 2010.
the "bust" kevin smith played on some pretty horrible lions teams. the few games Kevin was healthy this year he was every bit as productive as Best, and passed the eyeball test to go along with that production. Give Kevin Smith a full offseason and no surgery and we may finally get to see his 'best'. what is not mentioned for this passing team is that Smith is by far the best pass protector and very good out of the backfield as a receiver to go along with very solid running skills. its just(as well with every lion RB) health that sets him back.

I wouldn't say he never lived up to his billing, he was on some terrible Lions teams & still put up respectable numbers each year (1100+ as a rookie, 1200+ 2nd year). Last year, in the ramped up Lions offense, he looked like a point machine when in the games. With all due respect, comparing him to Mike Hart, who has never done anything, is somewhat comical. Smith was a top 6 back last season when he played from week 11-16, consider that he missed 3 quarters in one game & 2 in another & he was probably closer to a top 5 with all things figured. Obviously with Best & Leshoure back, his numbers will be down, but if injuries hit, he could light it up.

'Shutout said:
'matttyl said:
'Banemorth said:
I'd say he might still be laughing. Honestly, I don't think this does anything except STRENGTHEN his position because everyone knows Smith is every bit as fragile as they come. And he wasn't even signed by any team in the league last year until November. A move like this makes me think its just for price/familiarity/convenience, keeps the Lions from having to use a draft pick late, and overall points towards the Lions feeling better about Best and LeShoure than us hopeful fantasy owners.
As a Leshoure owner I couldn't ask for a better signing to show the team's belief that he'll be ready to play. There's still the draft coming up but re-signing a constantly injured, albeit a decent one when healthy, is not a concern.

Just between me and the Lions, we'll take Smith's production the few games we can use him later in the season.

Best is more of a scatback now and, if healthy, he will get his opportunities. The issue is not Best vs Kevin Smith, but LeShoure vs Kevin Smith. If you do not think LeShoure is going to make it back from the Achilles, Smith will have a lot of value.

I think that LeShoure thinks he will get the game 1 reps even if he misses training camp. I am not so sure about that. Kevin Smith is a very good football player, far removed from his ACL tear. After what he went through in 2011 he has found a new intensity. He is going to be a late pick in drafts and I still like him as a Lion.

'matttyl said:
'Banemorth said:
Wouldn't trade a 2nd for smith either ....you'd probably make more deals if you left your emotions out of it.

From a risk-reward scenario, I dont think there's a better bet out there than Kevin Smith. You can get him for a 3rd rounder and in a last man standing scenario, he could put up huge PPR numbers in that offense.

Anyone that thinks they will get a better lotto pick than Smith beyond the 14th or 15th pick in a rookie draft is not thinking straight.

'matttyl said:
'Banemorth said:
Wouldn't trade a 2nd for smith either ....you'd probably make more deals if you left your emotions out of it.
:goodposting:

'Shutout said:
'Banemorth said:

Oh come on. It's nowhere near that.Smith was "decent" on some horrible lions teams, and then got hurt and missed some time. Then he came in off the street last year and was the best back the team had all year. He had a heck of a college career, too. Not predicting anything (let's face it - he's a lottery ticket), but anyone thinking Best is automatically going to produce more than Smith... well, I don't know what they are basing that on. The six games he played last year?

[Hi Bob,I was reading that he was not on track and that there were some front office banter about possibly needing to go find another RB. Detroit has come a long way and they have a weapons system in place with Calvin, they really just need a durable RB and possibly an upgrade at WR2/3 although the rookie from last year who's name eludes me will surely be even better in year 2 and help when Calvin is triple teamed :) My only point is that maybe Detroit will have 5 or 6 backs in camp this summer, most teams do but they may actually want to have guys in that stable who can actually compete for a spot or real playing time. Detroit and New Orleans seem to have problems finding that 1 guy they can rely on. I don't have a link Bob so just consider it as speculation if you like, but I had heard rumors and I want to say they were on Colin Cowherd's show in passing..."Detroit has some real issues facing them at RB"...something like that. Take it with a grain of salt.
Where have you seen that? I havent seen anything but good reports on how LeShoure is doing. I think the only thing that the Smith signing means is that MOMO wont be a Lion next year.

'matttyl said:
'Banemorth said:
Seriously? You wouldn't trade a pick a year or two away that will fall somewhere between 11-20 to lock up a backfield? What if Mikel starts the year on the PUP, would you then? What if Best takes that one big hit and has another concussion, would you then? It's not like Smith it old, he just turned 25, and has shown in the past to be a very good PPR RB even on very bad Lions teams. Now the Lions have a very good and explosive offense that last year (in limited action) Smith showed he could do very well in. For comparison, last year's 2nd round rookie RBs taken were Delone Carter, Roy Helu and Quiz Rodgers. Now I'm not saying that Smith is head and shoulders above those guys, but if I already had the other 2 Detroit RBs, Smith would be my choice of the 4.

'Shutout said:
this is equivalent to having this discussion about Mike Hart in 2010.
Not really. Addai wasn't coming off of a torn achilles, and Donald Brown wasn't a hit away from yet another concussion and maybe never playing again.Smith showed last year that when given the chance (and when he's healthy himself), he can produce in that offense. He did have 7 TDs over a 6 game stretch. That doesn't happen by accident. He had 4.9 YPC (lead all RBs on that team), that's not an accident either though I know it was on "limited touches" (still over 11 carries per game over that 6 game stretch). Lets not forget that he did have over 2,500 rushing yards his last year in college (led the nation). He's no slouch, but he has been labeled an "injury risk". Then again, so are the two guys in front of him.

This isn't the best argument to make, but what "3rd RB on the depth chart" would you rather have over Smith? I can't think of many RBs who are 3rd on the depth chart who have a higher potential ceiling.

edit...ok, maybe Mike Tolbert....
The point behind the statement was to remind people, we are having a vey buzzed conversation about a 3rd RB on a team. Its not so much about the actual player, but the fact that its a third stringer. To answer your question, I have to say none, not even invcluding Smith because, as we stand here today in March, A LOT can and will probably change before we ever see week 1 of football.I guess that's my only real point in all this: in today's RB-not so friendly NFL, its just s a bit much to get hyped up over a 3rd stringer that has shown to be no more durable nor productive nor wanted than the guys in front of him. yes, in November, when youre the only guy on the team healthy and the team is giving opportunities, that's a different story. But in march, its just not much to go on. The Lions could bring in a guy like Addai or Forsett ro draft a guy. ALl that makes for a lot of "wait and see".

'Shutout said:
'Banemorth said:

the "bust" kevin smith played on some pretty horrible lions teams. the few games Kevin was healthy this year he was every bit as productive as Best, and passed the eyeball test to go along with that production. Give Kevin Smith a full offseason and no surgery and we may finally get to see his 'best'. what is not mentioned for this passing team is that Smith is by far the best pass protector and very good out of the backfield as a receiver to go along with very solid running skills. its just(as well with every lion RB) health that sets him back.
He had a full season last year and, long story short, I get it: he was a nice boon for people late in the year but you can't look at a month and forget the past several years. He can't stay healthy any more than anyone else we are talking about and didn't when he came back last season. He also got the huge benefit of being completely fresh by not playing until November while everyone else had been grinding for 2+ months. I mean, feel free to go all in with him in March, but we've seen this before and with Free agents and a draft still out there, I'm not sure he is even the RB3 come September.

'Shutout said:
'Banemorth said:

I wouldn't say he never lived up to his billing, he was on some terrible Lions teams & still put up respectable numbers each year (1100+ as a rookie, 1200+ 2nd year). Last year, in the ramped up Lions offense, he looked like a point machine when in the games. With all due respect, comparing him to Mike Hart, who has never done anything, is somewhat comical. Smith was a top 6 back last season when he played from week 11-16, consider that he missed 3 quarters in one game & 2 in another & he was probably closer to a top 5 with all things figured. Obviously with Best & Leshoure back, his numbers will be down, but if injuries hit, he could light it up.
the comparison to Hart is not a direct comparison. Its simply saying, on a similar type team that passes first and provides this type of opportunity, he, like Hart is a RB3 on a team sitting behind guys who had injury concerns from the previous season...and we see how all that panned out when all was said and done. All I'm saying is that its kind of silly to be trumpeting this guy in March..for lots of reasons.

'Shutout said:
'Banemorth said:

Oh come on. It's nowhere near that.Smith was "decent" on some horrible lions teams, and then got hurt and missed some time. Then he came in off the street last year and was the best back the team had all year. He had a heck of a college career, too. Not predicting anything (let's face it - he's a lottery ticket), but anyone thinking Best is automatically going to produce more than Smith... well, I don't know what they are basing that on. The six games he played last year?
yeah, its EXACTLY like that. The proof is in written history and fact. He is a guy that came in fresh in November and played against people who had been grinding away for 2+ months and he looked good in a VERY BRIEF spurt and, in fact, he got hurt in the short time he was back.Prior to that, he had a slightly above average year, and was pretty much hurt constantly after that until he found himself out of the league. He was on the vast majority of waiver wires in fantasy leagues (which tells you everything about the consensus of any RB with a pulse).

this is like the pot calling the kettle black if you want to talk Best down for only playing 6 games. Its not like Smith is a beacon of durability.

for all you guys that want to write Best and LeShoure off and get on this band wagon and completely ignore the history on this guy and gloss over the fact that the Lions could still sign free agents or draft a guy; be my guest. I was simply trying to point out that there are telling reasons why this team went out and drafted Best and LeShoure when they could have continued to roll with Smith.

Did he have a full off season of team drills and football conditioning? It was a short off season and OTA's for everyone but his difference was he was plucked off the street and played very admirably. 'Knock on wood if he stsys healthy and has a full off season with this group of talented lions and there is no reason to think he wouldn't play well and get to see the field often.like someone said he's the lions version of Pierre Thomas. He may have a little more natural ability than Thomas(with same penchant for injury) and best looks like a much less durable sproles. Leshoure is unknown and coming off a terrible injury for Rb's

All this talk about Smith being the RB3... I agree it's early yet, but if this guy does bring something big to the table during the season, NOW is the time to pick him up for dirt cheap. If he doesn't pan out, no big deal, but if you want to wait for his stock to keep going up, you're just going to end up paying more then you could have if he doesn't pan out.

I picked him up for the league minimum in my cap league. If I waited till August and still wanted him, It'd cost me 5 or 10 times as much.

Seriously? You wouldn't trade a pick a year or two away that will fall somewhere between 11-20 to lock up a backfield? What if Mikel starts the year on the PUP, would you then? What if Best takes that one big hit and has another concussion, would you then? It's not like Smith it old, he just turned 25, and has shown in the past to be a very good PPR RB even on very bad Lions teams. Now the Lions have a very good and explosive offense that last year (in limited action) Smith showed he could do very well in. For comparison, last year's 2nd round rookie RBs taken were Delone Carter, Roy Helu and Quiz Rodgers. Now I'm not saying that Smith is head and shoulders above those guys, but if I already had the other 2 Detroit RBs, Smith would be my choice of the 4.
Demarco Murray, Cam Newton, Kendall Hunter and Torrey Smith were other 2nd round picks last year.

Demarco Murray, Cam Newton, Kendall Hunter and Torrey Smith were other 2nd round picks last year.
And I'd gladly have Kevin Smith on my roster over Kendall Hunter, what's your point?For Kendall Hunter to be truly valuable, both Gore and now Jacobs would have to be out. What's more likely - Gore and Jacobs to be out, or Best and Leshoure?

:goodposting:Not sure why this guy's so hell bent on shoving his perceived value of Kevin Smith down everyone's throats here.

Who's going "all in" on Smith here? I haven't heard anyone say they'd give up a top 5 pick for him or anything.

It's a good signing for Detroit, and let's be honest- there is no way of knowing who is going to emerge from that backfield next season. Smith has as good of a chance as any of them.

Just something for people to keep in mind...

Kevin Smith - 4 years in the league

3.9 YPC, 8.9 YPR, 1 TD every 34 touches

Matt Forte - 4 years in the league

4.2 YPC, 8.9 YPR, 1 TD every 43 touches

Keep in mind that Smith played on a horrendous Lions team with very little supporting cast (or O-line) and no QB (until recently). Matt Forte fell into a very nice situation in Chicago from the start.

The only real differences between the two are opportunity & health. So please don't say Kevin Smith is not talented. He's a good NFL RB. His only issues are that he has an injury history and has had limited opportunity when he was healthy. If you believe in him (like I do), then now is the time to get him. As others have mentioned, Smith doesn't cost all much to aquire. If you believe both LeShoure and Best will return from their injuries close to 100% healthy then forget about Smith and hope things pan out.

The value of a Detroit RB is toilet paper.

You can't hold on to all of it, but you hope the piece you get is good when you need it.

yeah, its EXACTLY like that. The proof is in written history and fact. He is a guy that came in fresh in November and played against people who had been grinding away for 2+ months and he looked good in a VERY BRIEF spurt and, in fact, he got hurt in the short time he was back.Prior to that, he had a slightly above average year, and was pretty much hurt constantly after that until he found himself out of the league. He was on the vast majority of waiver wires in fantasy leagues (which tells you everything about the consensus of any RB with a pulse).

this is like the pot calling the kettle black if you want to talk Best down for only playing 6 games. Its not like Smith is a beacon of durability.

for all you guys that want to write Best and LeShoure off and get on this band wagon and completely ignore the history on this guy and gloss over the fact that the Lions could still sign free agents or draft a guy; be my guest. I was simply trying to point out that there are telling reasons why this team went out and drafted Best and LeShoure when they could have continued to roll with Smith.
You have it backwards - nobody is talking Best down. It's I'm wondering why some are talking him up.I don't know what's going to happen in the DET backfield or who the guy(s) is going to be. I'm saying that automatically assuming any of the three is over the other at this point is somewhat silly. I don't see how you could be up or down on any of these guys in relation to the other. Best had a nice start to the year. Smith had a nice finish. Mikel had a nice college career. We'll see what happens, but it looks to me like each has a shot to be the best guy out of the three.

The value of a Detroit RB is toilet paper.You can't hold on to all of it, but you hope the piece you get is good when you need it.
agree - Kevin Smith is not worh arguing about. He's RB6 on my dynasty team, so naturally i opened this thread. However, I am not banking on him to be productive, BUT if he is, I (obviously) would be pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread