What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Disc Golf Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Jutz

Footballguy
My bag:

Innova Groove Champions Plastic - 171 & 175

Innova Monarch Champions Plastic - 171 & 175

Innova Beast Champions Plastic - 171 & 175

Discraft Buzzz Z plastic - 171

Innova Roadrunner Champions Plastic - 169

Innova Leopard Champions Plastic - 169

Innova Rhyno Champions Plastic - 171

I play most at Pinchot State Park in Lewisberry, PA. There are 2 courses there. One is ridiculously difficult. One is just plain difficult. They are commonly referred to as 'big Pinchot' and 'little Pinchot'. At least by my friends. I normally play the little course. All par 3's. All cut through the woods. Average to above average in length. The big course has a few par 4+ holes. I think it has a par 6. First hole is about a 45 degree steep hike. Just walking the course is an accomplishment. If you are ever looking to play in central PA, these are the 2 best courses in the area. Choose based on how much of a challenge you are looking for.

There is a course nearby called Creekside in Camp Hill, PA. I really like the course but it is right along the Conodoguinet creek. So far I've thrown 2 discs in the creek. I left one go. I got the other one out and got soaked up to my sac in the process while wearing jeans and boots. I had the 'yanks' that day and was just yankin to the right on my drives and sailed one in the creek. I've almost lost a few others. I really like the course but it is just too risky. I doubt I'll be playing there much.

I just played at Red Land HS in Lewisberry, PA last night. It was a really nice course, at least the holes we could play. The first 4 holes kind of run around or near school baseball fields. There were games being played last night. 2 of the holes are purposefully played over a stone parking lot. We couldn't play them because there were cars parked there. We skipped to hole 4 or 5 and could pretty much play through to 17. I think we skipped a hole because it was close to one of the games going on. I really like the course and I'd like to play again, but it just kind of sucks when you try and play while games are going on. I was just imagining completely yanking a drive and sailing it into the middle of a softball game. It was wide open for the most part. A few holes lined on one side by trees. Only 1 hole with trees on both sides. A few very long holes. Several par 4's and a couple par 5's. There is a tee off area for hole 18, but I don't think there is a basket. The tee boxes were 3x3 concrete slabs. We didn't even use them. We just teed off in the grass beside the slabs. They were way too small to take an approach.

I've also played a course in Lancaster, PA. I played both 18 hole courses, and both 9 hole courses in Hanover, PA. I've played the course at Roland Park in Akron, PA. I used a site called Disc Golf Course Review to find courses in the area. It has an excellent map search function. So... whaddya you got?

I got course in my neighborhood. Starting at my mailbox, and ending at my mailbox. I'd call it medium, easy, difficult. It's called the Big 88.

New Orleans disc golfer here. I play mostly at Lafreniere Park (Metairie), City Park (New Orleans) and at my friend's back yard course north of Abita Springs.

My bag:

Metal Flake Destroyer - 175

Star Destroyer - 175

Blizzard Destroyer - 150

Star Vulcan - 172

Champion Wraith - 175 (very beat up)

Champion Sidewinder - 175

CE Viper - 180 (most overstable midrange ever)

new KC Roc - 180

old KC Roc - 179

Glow Ontario Roc - 180

KC Aviar - 175

Proto Magnet - ?

New Orleans Disc Golf Club

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to play on the pro circuit. Now just stay here and play when the weather is nice. There is a new course here in a city park right next to the local college. People eat, drink, and smoke whatever, wherever.

I thought all disc golf holes were played as par 3s? Whats this par 6 stuff?
Nope. A disc golf hole can be as long as you want I guess. I don't know if there are any rules about how long you make them but I have definitely been on a few courses with holes that are further then a par 3. The par 6 hole I mentioned is cut right through the woods. A lot of trees, and very long. The par 4's and 5's I played last night were open, but just really long. I think one of them was over 700'.

Used to play on the pro circuit. Now just stay here and play when the weather is nice. There is a new course here in a city park right next to the local college. People eat, drink, and smoke whatever, wherever.
Nice... there is a course at a local college here but I've heard it was kind of short and not kept up well. I like smoking whatever, wherever. Definitely part of the fun of the sport.So did you travel to play tournaments?

New Orleans disc golfer here. I play mostly at Lafreniere Park (Metairie), City Park (New Orleans) and at my friend's back yard course north of Abita Springs.

My bag:

Star Destroyer - 175

Blizzard Destroyer - 150

Star Vulcan - 172

new KC Roc - 180

old KC Roc - 179

Glow Ontario Roc - 180

KC Aviar - 175

Proto Magnet - ?

I had a Star Vulcan. That's one of the discs I flew in the creek but didn't get back. I like the Vulcan but I really like champions plastic better then star. Instead of getting another Vulcan I pretty much replaced them with the Groove's.I see you have a Blizzard Destroyer. I read about the Blizzard plastic. How is that going for you? Is it a lot different throwing the light weight? Do you only use it in certian situations?

I've never heard of the CE Viper. I'll have to check it out. I really like my Buzzz for midrange.

Nope. A disc golf hole can be as long as you want I guess. I don't know if there are any rules about how long you make them but I have definitely been on a few courses with holes that are further then a par 3. The par 6 hole I mentioned is cut right through the woods. A lot of trees, and very long. The par 4's and 5's I played last night were open, but just really long. I think one of them was over 700'.
So your longest hole is pretty much a long par 3 in "regular golf"... :thumbdown: :P

I just startd playing about 4 months ago. I watched a bunch of youtube videos to learn how to throw. This was probably the most helpful video to learn the basics:

Mow that lawn.

So your longest hole is pretty much a long par 3 in "regular golf"... :thumbdown: :P
Yeah... pretty much. It's real easy. You should try it.

My bag:

Star Destroyer - 175

Blizzard Destroyer - 150

Star Vulcan - 172

new KC Roc - 180

old KC Roc - 179

Glow Ontario Roc - 180

KC Aviar - 175

Proto Magnet - ?

I had a Star Vulcan. That's one of the discs I flew in the creek but didn't get back. I like the Vulcan but I really like champions plastic better then star. Instead of getting another Vulcan I pretty much replaced them with the Groove's.I see you have a Blizzard Destroyer. I read about the Blizzard plastic. How is that going for you? Is it a lot different throwing the light weight? Do you only use it in certian situations?

I've never heard of the CE Viper. I'll have to check it out. I really like my Buzzz for midrange.
The CE Viper was a limited run and they are pretty much unavailable. Perhaps you could find one on ebay. I got two for sponsoring a tournament back in 2004. The closest disc I've thrown is the Discraft Drone (in premium plastic).I haven't figured out the Blizzard yet. Seems to fly pretty much the same as my max weight Destroyers. I think the lighter weight is supposed to allow those with slower arm speeds (like me) to throw farther. I think I should have bought one of the 130s. I'm gonna keep working it till I figure it out.

I like Star and Champion plastic. For me, the Star seems more durable. The EchoStar Destroyers hold their flight characteristics for a very long time.

I'm also trying to work a Buzz into my bag. They seem to be a lot like a Roc, but with more glide and distance.

I'll stick to my Wii Disc Golf than you very much...

Nice... there is a course at a local college here but I've heard it was kind of short and not kept up well. I like smoking whatever, wherever. Definitely part of the fun of the sport.So did you travel to play tournaments?
Yes. But I liked to think of it of a vacation that I could potentially make money on. If not, that's Ok too.

'belljr said:
'Jutz said:
'belljr said:
'Jutz said:
'Ned said:
I'll stick to my Wii Disc Golf than you very much...
The wii disc golf game is horrible. The PS3 Move Disc Golf game is pretty cool though. I actually played on that a lot before I ever tried it for real.I figured you would #### out. Sure, big man, come in and talk trash about 'regular golf' then upon challenge backs down. Just what I figured. ;)

I'll post more later, but here are a couple of pics of hole #12 at a course in Lula, Ga. The entire hole is inside an old chicken house.http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/8340/panoramas.jpghttp://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8981/photo2pwt.jpg
:goodposting: never seen anything like that.

I'll post more later, but here are a couple of pics of hole #12 at a course in Lula, Ga. The entire hole is inside an old chicken house.http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/8340/panoramas.jpghttp://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8981/photo2pwt.jpg
Very cool.

Been playing for over 10 years but didnt even make it out to a course once last year.

Hoping to change that this week.

'Jutz said:
I just startd playing about 4 months ago. I watched a bunch of youtube videos to learn how to throw. This was probably the most helpful video to learn the basics:

:blackdot:

Been playing for over 10 years but didnt even make it out to a course once last year.Hoping to change that this week.
I see you are from yinzerville. IIRC that is western PA area? I travelled to Gibsonia, PA for work a few weeks ago. I stayed at a hotel in Butler, and I played a course at Moraine State Park in Portersville, PA. That was a really nice course :thumbup: I also attempted to play at Knob Hill Park in Warrendale, PA but I got lost on the course a few times. I couldn't tell where the next tee box was from hole to hole. Then I had to take a call for work that I forgot about so I had to leave early. That was a nice course too, but it could use some help with the markings.

Been playing for over 10 years but didnt even make it out to a course once last year.Hoping to change that this week.
I see you are from yinzerville. IIRC that is western PA area? I travelled to Gibsonia, PA for work a few weeks ago. I stayed at a hotel in Butler, and I played a course at Moraine State Park in Portersville, PA. That was a really nice course :thumbup: I also attempted to play at Knob Hill Park in Warrendale, PA but I got lost on the course a few times. I couldn't tell where the next tee box was from hole to hole. Then I had to take a call for work that I forgot about so I had to leave early. That was a nice course too, but it could use some help with the markings.
Ive only played Moraine once, it was pretty nice although I like to play a course at least a handful of times before really judging it.I grew up less than 5 minutes from the Knob Hill course. Still my favorite course Ive ever played. Great combination of wooded, mixed, and open holes and the wooded holes fairways arent too tight (pet peeve of mine and why I dont like the Schenley Park course in Pittsburgh). Knob Hill also has 3 pin placements for every hole. When theyre all in A position, you feel like vintage Tiger Woods tearing up the course. When theyre all in C position, youre frustrated after a handful of holes. When the positions hole to hole are mixed, youre in for an enjoyable challenge.

Been playing for about 5 years but took almost an entire year off in 2011. Just starting to play on a regular basis again.

Bag:

All drivers are 171-174

Star Destroyer

Champ Wraith

Some give-away Discraft Force that turned out to be a great utility driver

Star Xcaliber for sidearm

Champ Sidewinder

DX Leopard for wacky shots

Mids:

Elite Buzz

DX Cro

Putters

DX Rhino

DX Polecat

I haven't bought a new disc in close to 2 years :lmao:

There's a not so special 9 hole course about 5 mins from my house so that's where I usually play.

A few years back we put in two 18 hole courses Hart Park. They're pretty damn nice.

One hole is 650 feet with a 100 ft elevation drop.

Another hole on the flat side of the course. You have to carry thiscanal/swamp. It's not all that long of a carry but just knowing that if you hit the drink you're not going to see that disc again until some rube with hip-waders decides to gather discs AND feels like giving you a call.

Been playing for about 5 years but took almost an entire year off in 2011. Just starting to play on a regular basis again.

There's a not so special 9 hole course about 5 mins from my house so that's where I usually play.

A few years back we put in two 18 hole courses Hart Park. They're pretty damn nice.

Another hole on the flat side of the course. You have to carry thiscanal/swamp. It's not all that long of a carry but just knowing that if you hit the drink you're not going to see that disc again until some rube with hip-waders decides to gather discs AND feels like giving you a call.
That course at Hart Park looks real nice! And that elevated hole looks crazy.I was just on my lunch break, and I like to fish, so I went to Bass Pro and looked at hip waders. Maybe I can come out there and get some new discs.

Starting playing in 2010 and I am pretty much full on addicted now. Last summer I was playing 10+ rounds per week. My favorite local course (KC) is probably Water Works Park. This course (Blue Valley) is an absolute monster, it can play over 11,000 ft depending on the pins. I've only played it once but I'm gonna get out there this summer as I've improved quite a bit since last year. I bought one of those blizzard destroyers but I haven't had a chance to try it out in decent conditions yet. It's so damn windy here in the spring I feel weird throwing something so light. Everything I've heard has been pretty positive. I can't imagine throwing a katana that weighs 150 though.

That course at Hart Park looks real nice! And that elevated hole looks crazy.I was just on my lunch break, and I like to fish, so I went to Bass Pro and looked at hip waders. Maybe I can come out there and get some new discs.
Both of the courses are pretty sweet. The hill course is ridiculous. A lot of hiking, more than a few holes where your whole round can be ruined with one throw. It gets crazy hot here in the summer so playing the hill course is a trial. But it is fun as hell.

in the 94 state championship i had a 25 footer for the open title. feeling frisky, i shucked my duds in front of a 50+ person gallery and proceeded to make it.

i got a few of these :rolleyes: , and more of these :stalker: , but mostly these :hifive: .

good times.

Starting playing in 2010 and I am pretty much full on addicted now. Last summer I was playing 10+ rounds per week. My favorite local course (KC) is probably Water Works Park. This course (Blue Valley) is an absolute monster, it can play over 11,000 ft depending on the pins. I've only played it once but I'm gonna get out there this summer as I've improved quite a bit since last year. I bought one of those blizzard destroyers but I haven't had a chance to try it out in decent conditions yet. It's so damn windy here in the spring I feel weird throwing something so light. Everything I've heard has been pretty positive. I can't imagine throwing a katana that weighs 150 though.
daaaaaamn... both those courses look real nice. Very green. Trees, but not too many. Rolling hills. Between those courses and the Hyde Park courses Marvin posted I'm getting jealous.Definitely let me know how that Blizzard works out. I am curious about them. It gets pretty windy here at times too and I am very skeptical... but you never know with stuff like that. It could become the new norm.

ETA: I just started in Nov of 2011 and I am hooked too. I usually get in 3-4 rounds on the weekend. Now that it's lighter later, and the weather is getting better I'm working in some weekday rounds too.

in the 94 state championship i had a 25 footer for the open title. feeling frisky, i shucked my duds in front of a 50+ person gallery and proceeded to make it.i got a few of these :rolleyes: , and more of these :stalker: , but mostly these :hifive: .good times.
you mean like... underwear and everything? :unsure:

I think I may have asked it an old thread but this is a south and mid-western thing?

serious question

At the 5 minute mark he discusses what many pros like to call the flip hyzer which is what the longest drives are being recorded these days save some wacky rollers. Very important concept to know about.

At the 5 minute make he discusses what many pros like to call the flip hyzer which is what the longest drives are being recorded these days save some wacky rollers. Very important concept to know about.
I can't watch the video now but a flip hyzer is basically just throwing an understable disc at a hyzer angle, correct? Then letting it fliip up, turn over and s out, right? I throw a sidewinder for my long backhand drives and that's basically what I do. I've heard that term a bunch but never understood exactly what they meant.

I think I may have asked it an old thread but this is a south and mid-western thing?serious question
I heard it got popular in the south... North Carolina area. Seems like it's everywhere now. It seems like it's cheap enough to set up a course so a lot of parks are putting them in. I am in PA and there are probably close to 20-25 courses in a 45min radius. About 5 years ago that was not the case... maybe only a few. One of the links in the thread is for courses in CA, another from MO, another state of LA.

I think I may have asked it an old thread but this is a south and mid-western thing?serious question
I heard it got popular in the south... North Carolina area. Seems like it's everywhere now. It seems like it's cheap enough to set up a course so a lot of parks are putting them in. I am in PA and there are probably close to 20-25 courses in a 45min radius. About 5 years ago that was not the case... maybe only a few. One of the links in the thread is for courses in CA, another from MO, another state of LA.
Feels like this was talked about before...I live in NJ and I have never seen anyone play, never heard of it until I was well out of college. Still not sure how popular it is here, I think Cape May Zoo has like 4 holes, I;m sure it's popular in different regions, was just curious. :thumbup:

Nope. All over the country. Of course there are some places with a lot more courses than others. Iowa has a ton of DG courses for some reason.

I live less than a mile from Red Land High School :unsure:
I was just there last night playing. Get some discs and try it out. You are in an excellent location... it's fun and much better exercise compared to sitting on the couch which is what I would normally be doing.

I think I may have asked it an old thread but this is a south and mid-western thing?

serious question
Feels like this was talked about before...I live in NJ and I have never seen anyone play, never heard of it until I was well out of college. Still not sure how popular it is here, I think Cape May Zoo has like 4 holes, I;m sure it's popular in different regions, was just curious. :thumbup:
Go here and put in a zip code

serious question
Go here and put in a zip code
Probably explains the "lack of interest"
Code:
Course	Location	Distance	Holes	[Landscape] 	[Terrain] 	RatingLandis Park [Course has photos] 	Vineland, NJ 	13.3 Miles	18	[Mostly Flat] 	[Moderately Wooded] 	[Reviews: 12 - Rating: 2.08]Camden County Park DGC [Course has photos] [Water in play on 4 holes] 	Haddon Heights, NJ 	14.6 Miles	18	[Mostly Flat] 	[Lightly Wooded] 	[Reviews: 2 - Rating: 1.00]South Vineland Park [Course has photos] [Water in play on 3 holes] 	Vineland, NJ 	14.9 Miles	18	[Mostly Flat] 	[Moderately Wooded] 	[Reviews: 24 - Rating: 3.38]Freedom Park [Course has photos] 	Medford, NJ 	20.7 Miles	4	[Mostly Flat] 	[Lightly Wooded] 	[Reviews: 8 - Rating: 0.69]Sedgley Woods [Course has photos] [Course has videos] 	Philadelphia, PA 	22.3 Miles	27	[Moderately Hilly] 	[Moderately Wooded] 	[Reviews: 33 - Rating: 3.50]Bellevue State Park [Course has photos] [Pay to play] [Water in play on 3 holes] 	Wilmington, DE 	23.1 Miles	18	[Mostly Flat] 	[Lightly Wooded] 	[Reviews: 10 - Rating: 2.50]Riverview DGC [Course has photos] [Water in play on 4 holes] 	Pennsville, NJ 	23.1 Miles	9	[Mostly Flat] 	[Lightly Wooded] 	[Reviews: 9 - Rating: 2.17]Canby West [Course has photos] [Water in play on 8 holes] 	Wilmington, DE 	26.6 Miles	10	[Moderately Hilly] 	[Moderately Wooded] 	No ReviewsBrandywine Creek State Park [Course has photos] [Pay to play] [Water in play on 3 holes] 	Wilmington, DE 	27.8 Miles	18	[Very Hilly] 	[Lightly Wooded] 	[Reviews: 31 - Rating: 3.79]Fort Washington State Park DGC [Course has photos] [Camping Nearby] 	Fort Washington, PA 	31.8 Miles	9	[Mostly Flat] 	[Moderately Wooded] 	[Reviews: 8 - Rating: 0.69]Carousel Park [Course has photos] [Course has videos] [Water in play on 6 holes] 	Marshallton, DE 	32.1 Miles	18	[Very Hilly] 	[Moderately Wooded] 	[Reviews: 17 - Rating: 3.53]Wilson Farm Park Disc Golf [Course has photos] 	Chesterbrook, PA 	33.9 Miles	4	[Mostly Flat] 	[Lightly Wooded] 	[Reviews: 4 - Rating: 1.25]Lums Pond State Park [Course has photos] [Camping Nearby] [Pay to play] 	Kirkwood, DE 	35.0 Miles	18	[Mostly Flat] 	[Heavily Wooded] 	[Reviews: 18 - Rating: 2.97]Anson Nixon Park [Course has photos] 	Kennett Square, PA 	35.4 Miles	18	[Moderately Hilly] 	[Moderately Wooded] 	[Reviews: 22 - Rating: 2.73]

I have been playing for like 20 years and all I ever carry is a driver and a putter. Is there a big advantage in carrying all those discs?

I have been playing for like 20 years and all I ever carry is a driver and a putter. Is there a big advantage in carrying all those discs?
You know... I don't really know that there is any major advantage. I just have a bunch of discs because whenever I get into a hobby I kind of go crazy with it. Also, I used to play golf and it was so expensive... now when I see that a new disc (even in champions plastic) is only around $15 I just started collecting them basically. I do that rationalization thing where I tell myself that even though I just ordered 6 new discs, it is still over $100 cheaper then new driver.There are some situations where you might want a disc with higher speed, or a different stability rating, but I think there is something to be said for using the same disc's all the time and getting really familiar with them. There are some advantages to more disc's... but I don't know how big they are unless you are at or near a pro level.

Yeah. Different discs are designed to fly different ways. I used to think the guys who carried giant bags around were idiots but it definitely helps. I'm not even very good and I throw a minimum of three different drivers on every course. I've got a disc I like for tomahawk shots, an understable disc for anhyzer shots, a fairly stable disc for hyzers and a really really stable disc for shots into the wind and forehands. I have a small bag so I only take six or seven discs out on the course with me. I think the people you see carrying 20+ have some discs that they very rarely throw outside of specific situations. Also, the amount of wear on a disc can impact the flight path greatly. Generally the more beat up a disc is the more likely it is to turn over.

Between those courses and the Hyde Park courses Marvin posted I'm getting jealous.
If you really want to get jealous check out the Charlotte courses.
Funny you say that. I lived in the Charlotte area around 1999 - 2001. I was just out of college and had 3 roomates. They all got into disc golf while they were in Charlotte. I think it was pretty new at that time. I never went to play with them. It sounded dumb to me. I just thought if im going to play golf... it's going to be golf... not with frisbees. These were all friends of mine from PA.Well, we all went our separate ways after a few years. Just this year I moved back to my home state. These friends of mine also ended up back home. I gave it a try this time around and really liked it. They still tell me the courses they played in Charlotte are awesome. I think I heard they hold a Disc Golf championships there? Maybe national?

Users who are viewing this thread