What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Disc Golf Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Between those courses and the Hyde Park courses Marvin posted I'm getting jealous.
If you really want to get jealous check out the Charlotte courses.
Apparently the one in Rock Hill at Winthrop University draws people from everywhere? I'm not sure what one looks for to judge the quality of a course, but I can't help but chuckle when I see people out there with these full on back packs full of "discs" (learned not to call them frisbees) trudging through the woods.

Between those courses and the Hyde Park courses Marvin posted I'm getting jealous.
Apparently the one in Rock Hill at Winthrop University draws people from everywhere? I'm not sure what one looks for to judge the quality of a course, but I can't help but chuckle when I see people out there with these full on back packs full of "discs" (learned not to call them frisbees) trudging through the woods.
Yeah that course is regarded as one of the best in the country. Looks awesome from the youtube videos I've seen.

Yeah that course is regarded as one of the best in the country. Looks awesome from the youtube videos I've seen.
Winthrop is great when it is the championship set up with the ropes. For everyday play it's a little to open for my taste. I much prefer Hornets, Nest, Renny or Nevin.

Winthrop is great when it is the championship set up with the ropes. For everyday play it's a little to open for my taste. I much prefer Hornets, Nest, Renny or Nevin.
Explain this to me like I have no effin' clue what you meant.

The lay out lout of bounds lines along the fairway.

The lay out lout of bounds lines along the fairway.
:bag: I've never seen the course with ropes on it. I've been by it a million times. So what happens if your disc lands outside those lines? Is that an out of bounds line or a "rough" line?

If your dics crosses the line and lands OB, you get 1 meter relief from where it crossed the line and a penalty stroke. So if you drive lands OOB you are shooting your third shot from where it crossed the line.

If your dics crosses the line and lands OB, you get 1 meter relief from where it crossed the line and a penalty stroke. So if you drive lands OOB you are shooting your third shot from where it crossed the line.
I was under the impression that if it's your drive that goes out of bounds you re-tee as your third stroke.

Anyone in Charlotte up for a round later today?
worm - the wife and I are volunteering for last day of worlds, sat july 21st i think it is. gonna volunteer as spotters in the morning for the FPO semifinals at bradford. Then in the afternoon take off and spectate some finals action at hornets nest. just an fyi. if you are interested in volunteering for worlds (they need help all week from tues-saturday) i can get you the link.

FANTASTIC advice in this thread, anborn! :thumbup:

While my tee shots are better than ever, I seemed to have lost my mojo/touch to my approach game now. HIGHLY frustrating! Shots I could park with my eyes closed I'm now leaving 20-25' away. <snip>
I have and am experiencing much the same thing right now. 2 years ago I almost only played the shortest course in the area mainly cause its also the most convenient. its basically a pitch/putt course you can play exclusively with a putter, or a putter and a mid. no hole over 300, and only 2 holes over 250. back in the day i would regularly shoot -4, with my personal record of -8. After moving away from that course and playing mostly other longer courses, and going from throwing 220-230 to adding 100ft to my drives... i went and started playing back there. first two rounds there? +6 and +7. unreal. touch of the mid/short game was gone. it took 6-7 rounds to rediscover negative numbers there.I think it comes from (re)learning the timing of your throw when powering down. its a different feel than letting em rip. so you used to throw 230' at 90%-100%. but now you hit 230' at 60%. so once you learn the mechanics of longer throws, it forces you to almost relearn the mechanics of mid-range touch at the same time. that and you start throwing your putter alot more for approaches. at least that's my theory.
Hey anborn!My approach "mojo" seems to be coming back...thank goodness! I think for me, the trick was forcibly keeping my head down about a half-second longer on my release. I think once I started missing some approaches this Spring, it "snowballed" on me because I was looking up a bit sooner after my release to see if I threw it properly or not. That bit of quickly looking up screwed with my form. But when I hit the reset button, slowed my release down a bit, and forced myself to keep my head down even longer than I used to, everything came back into alignment. ~80% of my approaches landing within 20' of the basket from 175' and in...which leads to a one-putt about 90% of the time when my putting is on like it should be.

I was telling my buddy last night how interesting it is that I feel like I'm playing great at the moment, but I still can't get within more than 1-2 shots of my low-rounds from 2011. Granted, I had a significant surgery last Fall. But I should be healed from that now. And for whatever reason, if I could hang a -5 on a course last year, a -3 feels like a great round this year.

When I thought about it though (and "dialed in" a bit more), I did better. I told him I was sick of this crap of being a couple shots off 2011, so on a course where my personal best is -6 (2011), I told myself I was going to match it. Opened with a 40-foot deuce putt (350' hole), then a 20' deuce on #2. Missed a 30-footer on 3 for deuce, then missed a 45-footer on 4 for deuce. Went 2, 4 (ugh), 3, 2, 2 for a -4 round. Still not a -6, but I was a hair-better tee shots or putts on holes 3 and 4 from tying that high-mark. Even with a bogey! My low-round for the year on that course...and I felt like if we would have had enough daylight, I was "getting in my zone." Which I haven't felt since about a year ago.

I think I've been limiting myself (competitively) because I've just been happy to play again after being laid up for months following surgery. But I need to go from being happy just to be there to mentally making those courses my #####. :P I need to re-locate that ~90 days of zen I had going last Summer...when I was tearing up courses and setting/tying course records that had stood for 15+ years. That was the closest thing I've ever felt to "arriving" on the disc golf scene...playing ~935-945 rated rounds as a 40 year-old.
good to hear! if i could get to where i was consistanently shooting 900-940 i'ld be thrilled. normally i'm 850-950. highest round i ever shot was somewhere in the 980s. though the past 2 weeks have been more like 750-850 :( my game which was already inconsistent has fallen off to just bad-average now. i'm doing like 3-4 little things wrong, but when taken together means i'm only hitting my lines about 20% of the time instead of 80% of the time :( problems include, slightly sloppy footwork, pulling earlier than my hips/shoulders are ready for, lifting my head, offline reach back, the occasional rolling of the wrist, and "pulling up" instead of moving forward during the follow through.

very frustrating. the last round i went out to play was have such a ####ty time (and it was insanely hot and insanely busy) i stopped on hole 11, packed it up and just went home. just seems like my timing is all off. of course once you start thinking about the little things you're never gonna get the "feel" back during a round.

i think i need a solid couple hours of field work and getting back to the basics.

There is a course nearby called Creekside in Camp Hill, PA. I really like the course but it is right along the Conodoguinet creek. So far I've thrown 2 discs in the creek. I left one go. I got the other one out and got soaked up to my sac in the process while wearing jeans and boots. I had the 'yanks' that day and was just yankin to the right on my drives and sailed one in the creek. I've almost lost a few others. I really like the course but it is just too risky. I doubt I'll be playing there much.
I lost a pink zWasp in the creek on hole 12 @ Creekside on April 20th... 2011. I got the most random emails about that disc yesterday. I find this whole thing both bizarre and hilarious at the same time.First Email:

Subject: I have your frisbee!

To: Me

It is currently on a cross country post-grad rock climbing trip being used as a plate. This is your mid-range driver in a Colorado parking lot! Link to photo: http://goo.gl/Tr18N
Second Email:
Subject: I have your frisbee: #2

To: Me

Me and your mid ranger driver are in New Mexico enjoying the view and heading towards Texas! link to photo #2: http://goo.gl/hXgcw
Third Email:

Subject: #3

To: me

Me and the plate/frisbee are replacing a broken water bottle and faulty (SCARY!) belay devices in Dallas, TX today! Link to Photo #3: http://goo.gl/088tM
This is fun!I congratulated her, wished her well on her trip, and asked for more photos... I wonder if I will get my disc back at some point?!?
so you are the guy with the epic dgcr thread. nice. you can tell me, i won't let anyone know... is it the greatest :fishing: thread or completely legit?

I'm not sure if you are asking me... But if you are... No. It's not fishing. I really have a bag of way too many discs and got really into it this winter. Haven't been playing much lately. I've been fishing a lot this summer (as in actually fishing for actual fish) but I still play every now and then. It's fun.

worm - the wife and I are volunteering for last day of worlds, sat july 21st i think it is. gonna volunteer as spotters in the morning for the FPO semifinals at bradford. Then in the afternoon take off and spectate some finals action at hornets nest. just an fyi. if you are interested in volunteering for worlds (they need help all week from tues-saturday) i can get you the link.
You guys going to come in and stay the night Friday night?

'Jutz said:
I'm not sure if you are asking me... But if you are... No. It's not fishing. I really have a bag of way too many discs and got really into it this winter. Haven't been playing much lately. I've been fishing a lot this summer (as in actually fishing for actual fish) but I still play every now and then. It's fun.
awesome.

'Worm said:
'anborn said:
You guys going to come in and stay the night Friday night?
thats the plan. we'll stay with our friends at the lake. volunteer then spectate saturday, then head back sat evening and sunday for normal lake-ish type stuff. should be fun.

I just started to play and am quickly finding my days consumed with getting as much info about DG as I can. I'm already addicted. I've played 3 rounds now and have went from 20+ to 18+ and 15+ last night.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to focus on backhand or forehand. I'm a lefty, but with both throws, they break from left to right. I feel more confident with the forehand and get a little more distance out of it.

Here are the discs I have and what I think about them so far. I have no idea what the numbers really mean, so any help is appreciated.

Innova Champion Valkyrie. (9 4 -2 2) I really like this disc and it feels great in my hand. Probably my go to disc off the tee.

Innova Star Eagle. (7 4 -1 3) I dont throw this one as far, but its more consistant. Really like the grip on it.

Innova Archangel ( 8 6 -4 1 ) I just got this from a buddy. Its beat up but I really like it for thumbers and tomahawk throws. No idea what its good for...

Innova Leopard (6 5 -2 1) Came with a kit I bought. My kids use it, I dont really throw it much.

Discraft Buzzz LOVE this disc. Feels great in my hand and I feel really good about shaping my shots with it from 150 and in.

Innova Champion Rhyno (2 1 0 3) I like this better for approaches than I really do putting.

Innova Aviar (2 3 0 1) Pretty happy with it overall. Came with my kit.

Blowfly Steady Ed I dont know what to think about this "disc". Its so sloppy, that if I hit the chains it almost always sticks for me, but I dont feel comforable throwing it any distance.

I am thinking about picking up a Innova Blizzard Wraith, a Teebird, Mako, and some putters. Super Stupid Soft put and maybe a magnet. Thoughts?

I just started to play and am quickly finding my days consumed with getting as much info about DG as I can. I'm already addicted. I've played 3 rounds now and have went from 20+ to 18+ and 15+ last night. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to focus on backhand or forehand. I'm a lefty, but with both throws, they break from left to right. I feel more confident with the forehand and get a little more distance out of it. Here are the discs I have and what I think about them so far. I have no idea what the numbers really mean, so any help is appreciated.Innova Champion Valkyrie. (9 4 -2 2) I really like this disc and it feels great in my hand. Probably my go to disc off the tee.Innova Star Eagle. (7 4 -1 3) I dont throw this one as far, but its more consistant. Really like the grip on it.Innova Archangel ( 8 6 -4 1 ) I just got this from a buddy. Its beat up but I really like it for thumbers and tomahawk throws. No idea what its good for...Innova Leopard (6 5 -2 1) Came with a kit I bought. My kids use it, I dont really throw it much.Discraft Buzzz LOVE this disc. Feels great in my hand and I feel really good about shaping my shots with it from 150 and in. Innova Champion Rhyno (2 1 0 3) I like this better for approaches than I really do putting. Innova Aviar (2 3 0 1) Pretty happy with it overall. Came with my kit. Blowfly Steady Ed I dont know what to think about this "disc". Its so sloppy, that if I hit the chains it almost always sticks for me, but I dont feel comforable throwing it any distance.I am thinking about picking up a Innova Blizzard Wraith, a Teebird, Mako, and some putters. Super Stupid Soft put and maybe a magnet. Thoughts?
I really love my Mako and would highly recommend one. DX Teebird has always been a favorite of mine as well.I would avoid a Wraith or any other higher speed driver for a while. The speed is the first number in your list, and I think maybe 6-8 is a good range for starting out. I think the "experts" recommend sticking with lower speed drivers until you consistently throw 300 ft+.

I had a buy 2 get 1 free coupon so I picked up a Champion TeeBird, Flick (for hawks and thumbers) and for my free on I went with a Blizzard Champion Wraith 148.

The flick has tured into my favorite disc over the past few months but that thing is ridiculously overstable. If the valkyrie keeps turning too hard right on your forehands give that a try. It will not turn over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so inconsistent it makes me sick. I have no idea where the disk is going once it leaves my hand. I just know that its not going straight!

My best shot by far is the thumber approach shot from 200 ft and in. Love the new flick for that.

I am so inconsistent it makes me sick. I have no idea where the disk is going once it leaves my hand. I just know that its not going straight! My best shot by far is the thumber approach shot from 200 ft and in. Love the new flick for that.
You have to really watch your disc as you throw it at first. Make sure it is parallel to the ground when you release it. Go to a park or an open field with all your discs and let them loose one way, then back, then back, then back like a driving range. Stare your disc down until it is gone from your hand. Don't look up early. Make sure your disc is leaving your hand flat. Like you are sliding it across an imaginary table. Make sure it doesn't tilt. When you get that down, you can start tweaking your footwork.

I have been slacking off big time on playing disc golf but just got in a few solid rounds in the past few weeks. I played big Pinchot 2 weeks ago, and this past week I played little Pinchot Thursday night, Lancaster Sunday afternoon, then left Lancaster and played 27 holes at Akron, PA.

The course in Akron has had some major upgrades recently. I could never figure out the hole numbers on the first 9, then when the course goes in the woods I would get lost just about every time. New signs were printed up to show the location of each basket. They were laminated and hung at each tee box. Arrows were put up at each hole to show the direction of the next tee box. The last 18 holes, mostly in the woods were very challenging.

I also noticed that big Pinchot was in really good shape. That is a tough course just to walk because of the steep hills. It appears a lot of work has been done keeping this course up. A lot of brush was cleared, tree branches trimmed. It was the most fun I had playing big Pinchot I can recall. Props to the volunteers doing work to keep it up.

I took a lot of advice I read on this thread and it helped me quite a bit. I noticed a lot of people suggesting NOT going with really high speed drivers unless you have the arm speet to pull it off. I do normally use a speed 10 driver (either a beast or a monarch) and I think I do have the arm speed to throw a 10. I also carry a speed 13 Groove, but only broke it out on very limited holes. The 10 still might be a little fast for me, but I think it is a good fit.

The biggest advice I took from this board involves mid range shot. I am a primarily backhand thrower and have always had the most difficult time throwing mid range back hand shots. I recall reading that with midrange shots, it is more important to focus on making a smoothe motion as opposed to focusing on speed. I normally throw a Buzz for midrange shots, and focusing on the motion helped me with the accuracy of those shots a lot. I also have a Leopard that is a 168 weight. I used to never throw it, but decided to give it a try on my longer midrange shots. Given it's lower speed rating (6) and lightness, it doesn't require as much force to get it going. I was able to throw my Leopard midrange a lot further with longer midrange shots compared to me normally attempting to throw a speed 10 disc.

I have a tendancy on my midrange shots to make more of an arm motion, but when I focused on form instead of speed, I got a much better wrist snap which made the disc fly further making up for any loss of arm speed. Making sure I snap my wrist is something I have to constantly remind myself to do on my midrange shots, and my putts.

Shot my best game at Alexander Park this weekend (61), after shooting my previous best a couple weeks ago (62). Still over par, but I've noticed that the biggest difference is not so much in my drive, but in my second shot. I've been doing a much better job of leaving myself with <10ft par putts lately. Once I can start tallying some consistent birdies, that should pull me to even.

Just played my first round in months while in Tahoe over the weekend. I was rusty, but managed to get a birdie, so that felt good.

I've been playing for maybe 15 years and just this past weekend had something happen that's never happened before:

I got hit in the head by a drive from another tee.

How was it? Well, considering that I didn't hear or see anything until impact it was like the invisible man ran up and punched me in the face.

I kindly suggested to the kid who throw it that it's customary to yell "Fore!" when you lose complete, ####### control of your shot.

Got me right on the jaw but I'm a badass so no visible damage.

My friend and I decided to try and branch out and go on some dg outings out of our normal local area and we played 2 different courses the past 2 weekends. Last Saturday we played at Whispering Falls in Greencastle, PA. This Sunday we played Seneca Creek State Park in Gaithersburg, MD.

We heard about Whispering Falls from a dg group EZ Glider told me about. I subscribed to their fb page and saw pics from a tournament at this course. I looked it up online and made the drive from Harrisburg, PA. It is right off I81 right near the MD / PA border. It was a really nice course. 27 holes. The first 18 were wooded, and the last 9 were pretty well open. Having never played there, the first 18 was tough, so it was nice to have some room on the last 9.

Seneca Creek was nearly a 2 hour drive from home, and they do charge a fee to get in the park ($3 MD resident, $5 non resident). There are 27 holes. All of them were pretty difficult, most all of them pretty heavily wooded too. We played all 27, then went back and played the first 18 again. Excellent course, highly recommended. Even though I didn't play well, the course was really nice.

I am really out of shape, pretty bad. I have been playing a lot lately to try and get some exercise. We definitely got a lot of good rounds in. I played pretty bad at both places. I think it is a combination of new courses, being out of shape, and trying too hard. I think I am way too tight when I try too hard. I need to loosen up and let it flow. Although, when I completed 18 and we are moving on to more, sometimes my legs feel like jelly depending on where we play (especially 'big pinchot'). I think getting in shape would help a lot too. It's tough chasing discs in the heavy rough of the woods, but it is still really fun.

My friend and I decided to try and branch out and go on some dg outings out of our normal local area and we played 2 different courses the past 2 weekends. Last Saturday we played at Whispering Falls in Greencastle, PA. This Sunday we played Seneca Creek State Park in Gaithersburg, MD.

We heard about Whispering Falls from a dg group EZ Glider told me about. I subscribed to their fb page and saw pics from a tournament at this course. I looked it up online and made the drive from Harrisburg, PA. It is right off I81 right near the MD / PA border. It was a really nice course. 27 holes. The first 18 were wooded, and the last 9 were pretty well open. Having never played there, the first 18 was tough, so it was nice to have some room on the last 9.

Seneca Creek was nearly a 2 hour drive from home, and they do charge a fee to get in the park ($3 MD resident, $5 non resident). There are 27 holes. All of them were pretty difficult, most all of them pretty heavily wooded too. We played all 27, then went back and played the first 18 again. Excellent course, highly recommended. Even though I didn't play well, the course was really nice.

I am really out of shape, pretty bad. I have been playing a lot lately to try and get some exercise. We definitely got a lot of good rounds in. I played pretty bad at both places. I think it is a combination of new courses, being out of shape, and trying too hard. I think I am way too tight when I try too hard. I need to loosen up and let it flow. Although, when I completed 18 and we are moving on to more, sometimes my legs feel like jelly depending on where we play (especially 'big pinchot'). I think getting in shape would help a lot too. It's tough chasing discs in the heavy rough of the woods, but it is still really fun.
Been wanting to play Seneca Creek State Park for a while. Good on you.

I played Winthrop(where they play USDGC) yesterday. It was the first time I had played the course in the championship layout with the ropes. It’s very different when ropes are outlining the fairways rather than trees. Judging distance in the wide open spaces was difficult and then deciding how much you want to bite off. I only had 4 ob strokes but 2 of them came on hole 5 when I tin cupped 2 into the pond and ended up with a 9. Highlights were almost acing the bamboo hole and a birdie on 888.

Over the past month, my friend an I have played:

Whispering Falls - Greecastle, PA

Seneca Creek State Park - Gaithersburg, MD

Little Lehigh Parkway - Allentown, PA

Jordan Creek - Whitehall, PA (Allentown area)

Nockamixon State Park - Quakertown, PA (also close to Allentown)

We just played Nockamixon this weekend. Both my friend and I agreed that of all the courses we played we liked Nockamixon the best. It just has a good balance. Most of the holes are wooded, but the drives are not extremely tight. Not wide open, but you don't need a perfect drive to have a good throw. The course was cleared out pretty well and in good condition. The thing we liked most is that there were a lot of par 4's. It seems most courses use par 3's as the norm, and throw in a few par 4's or longer, where Nockamixon almost had the par 4 as the norm, with a mix of 3's and a few 5's. The course was really rocky, so it was tough on the ankles, but they also had a lot of small rock wall structures around some of the pins that made it interesting. We only got to play 18 because it gets dark so soon now, but that is a course we are definitely going to go back and play when we get a chance.

I played better this weekend. I was doing a lot of 'practicing' while playing at the other courses. I was trying different things that didn't work well. I settled down, tried to keep it simpler, and just relax. I still don't have any great scores to post, but I usually made bogey... with a few pars sprinkled in. It's always more difficult playing at a completely new course. I'd like to have a shot at Nockamixon again and see if I could do better.

Another thing about Nockamixon is the course is situated along a pretty big lake. I am into fishing and am going to do some research on that lake to see if they allow gas motors, or if there is any good fishing out there. It's a really nice park.

Over the past month, my friend an I have played:Whispering Falls - Greecastle, PASeneca Creek State Park - Gaithersburg, MDLittle Lehigh Parkway - Allentown, PAJordan Creek - Whitehall, PA (Allentown area)Nockamixon State Park - Quakertown, PA (also close to Allentown)
Most of these courses have been featured on Disc Golf Monthly. I'm jealous. I really want to play Nockamixon. Only a few weeks left of being able to play on weeknights after work. Hate losing that hour.

Over the past month, my friend an I have played:

Whispering Falls - Greecastle, PA

Seneca Creek State Park - Gaithersburg, MD

Little Lehigh Parkway - Allentown, PA

Jordan Creek - Whitehall, PA (Allentown area)

Nockamixon State Park - Quakertown, PA (also close to Allentown)
Most of these courses have been featured on Disc Golf Monthly. I'm jealous. I really want to play Nockamixon. Only a few weeks left of being able to play on weeknights after work. Hate losing that hour.
These places aren't exactly in my back yard, but the Allentown area courses (and Quakertown) are only about 1.5 - 2 hrs away and it is an easy drive from Harrisburg where I live. I always look on discgolfcoursereview.com for new courses and I was amazed at the number of courses in the Allentown area. There are several highly rated courses that I believe are part of a ski resort, but they are pay courses. If you ever do make it to the area, Nockamixon is an excellent choice.I can't believe how big a difference that hour makes. My friend and I usualy don't hit the road until around noon, but we usually figure on getting in at least 2 rounds. When we went to Nockamixon we only got in 1 and it was beginning to get dark. We are definitely going to get an earlier start next time. I hate not being able to get a good round in after work as well, and that has happened to us recently at our local course.

There is also a (supposedly) really good disc golf store in the area called Dodo's. LINK Haven't been there so I can't say for sure. We drove past it Saturday evening after Nockamixon and it was closed. It's not very big, but I suppose you don't need a lot of real estate to hold a lot of discs. My friend and I want to get an early start some saturday, hit up Dodo's, hit up Nockamixon for at least 2 rounds... then maybe stop by a record store that is close to Dodo's (my friend is a vinyl head). That whole Lebanon Valley area is somewhat impressive. Quakertown was really nice, and the place we drove around in Allentown looked nice too. Also looked like there were quite a few nice places to eat / drink in the area.

Hit the basket again last weekend for a near ace for about the 5th or 6th time in 3 years. :rant: Watched my brother 2 years ago who never plays sink an ace in a rain storm from 260ft. I am cursed.

Hit the basket again last weekend for a near ace for about the 5th or 6th time in 3 years. :rant: Watched my brother 2 years ago who never plays sink an ace in a rain storm from 260ft. I am cursed.

I got in 4 rounds this weekend and played pretty bad on all accounts. 2 rounds at Nockamixon Saturday during which I lost 3 discs. 1 round 'Big Pinchot' and 1 round 'Little Pinchot' Sunday. I was yanking my drives right almost all weekend (right handed backhand throws). I started to throw straight during the end of the day Sunday, but still had problems every now and then.

Saturday when I went to Nockamixon, I stopped at Dodo's disc golf store in Allentown:

Dodo's LINK

962 W. Wyoming St.

Allentown, PA 18103

Awesome disc golf shop. Not only had an excellent selection of Innova and Discraft, but also had a nice selection of other brands. My friend got a disc by a company named Latitude 64 made in Sweeden.

Still taking the advice of the FFA and scaling down on the speed rating of discs I bought. I am driving with 10 speed drivers (Beast and Monarch) but I bought a Roadrunner and a Valkyrie which are 9 speed drivers. I started gettin them in the mix on my drives and I noticed since they are lower speed drivers I can work them more side to side if I the shot calls for it.

I also got a nice, very straight flying mid-range disc the Innova TeeBird. It is a 7 speed with turn ratings of 0 and 2. It flies very straight and has helped me on my mid range shots. The straight path is helpful when you are trying to throw through a fores of trees. My midrange shots are getting better. I'm still pretty out of shape, and I was sore all day Sunday when I played, but it was good exercise. It's getting darker sooner every week, gotta get rounds in while I can.

I got in 4 rounds this weekend and played pretty bad on all accounts. 2 rounds at Nockamixon Saturday during which I lost 3 discs. 1 round 'Big Pinchot' and 1 round 'Little Pinchot' Sunday. I was yanking my drives right almost all weekend (right handed backhand throws). I started to throw straight during the end of the day Sunday, but still had problems every now and then.

Saturday when I went to Nockamixon, I stopped at Dodo's disc golf store in Allentown:

Dodo's LINK

962 W. Wyoming St.

Allentown, PA 18103

Awesome disc golf shop. Not only had an excellent selection of Innova and Discraft, but also had a nice selection of other brands. My friend got a disc by a company named Latitude 64 made in Sweeden.

Still taking the advice of the FFA and scaling down on the speed rating of discs I bought. I am driving with 10 speed drivers (Beast and Monarch) but I bought a Roadrunner and a Valkyrie which are 9 speed drivers. I started gettin them in the mix on my drives and I noticed since they are lower speed drivers I can work them more side to side if I the shot calls for it.

I also got a nice, very straight flying mid-range disc the Innova TeeBird. It is a 7 speed with turn ratings of 0 and 2. It flies very straight and has helped me on my mid range shots. The straight path is helpful when you are trying to throw through a fores of trees. My midrange shots are getting better. I'm still pretty out of shape, and I was sore all day Sunday when I played, but it was good exercise. It's getting darker sooner every week, gotta get rounds in while I can.
Tee bird is a fairway driver. Do you use midrange discs like the Buzzz? Sound like you should try a Buzzz. One of the best things I've ever done for my game.

Dodo's LINK

962 W. Wyoming St.

Allentown, PA 18103

Tee bird is a fairway driver. Do you use midrange discs like the Buzzz? Sound like you should try a Buzzz. One of the best things I've ever done for my game.
Yes! I do have a Buzzz and I love it. Yes the TeeBird is a fairway driver, I was just kind of thinking of it as a non driver and wasnt specific but you are correct. I'll use the TeeBird on long fairway shots and use the Buzzz for more of a finesse / touch shot. I like them both. Occasionally I use a leopard but usually a Buzzz or TeeBird.

Shot my best rated round of my life this past weekend at a C-Tier tournament (950). Of course, I followed that up with a 908 (sigh)...but it was good enough to limp-in at third place at the end of the event, playing Advanced. Felt good to play well against a few of the better players in our area, though I should have been at least 2-3 shots better. But hey...being healthy enough to play sanctioned (and not just rec rounds) is great after a couple years of not being able to do it.

I planned a long weekend vacation to Charlotte this past weekend to visit family. I ended up getting stuck in NC because my flight home (to PA) was cancelled. I brought a few discs along in case I had time to get a few rounds in and I was glad I did. I basically had 2 days open to play while in the Charlotte area. Well, this sounds good but it didn't work out that great... at least the beginning.

I went on dgcoursereview.com and researched what courses were nearby. I was staying in the south Charlotte area and there were pleny of courses to choose from. I was staying really close to Renaissance and read some reviews on that course. It got mostly good reviews but everyone said it was a really tough course with a lot of hills and some rough terrain. I was with my mom, and I didn't want to ditch her, and she likes to walk so I figured I would bring her along for something to do since we were stuck. I know its kind of nerdy to bring your mom disc golfing with you, but i figured it would be a good chance to spend some time with her, get some exercise, and show her what disc golf is like. I decided not to go to Renaissance because I didn't know if the hike would be too much for her to handle. She is a tough woman, but I didn't want to wear her out on what was supposed ot be a vacation. Besides, there were plenty of other courses to choose from. I found a few other courses that were less treacherous, and had 3 or 4 to pick from.

I went to an outdoors store that sold discs and bought a teebird. A disc I liked, but had lost the first day I tried it a few weeks ago. While buying the disc we told the guy at the store that we were going to play that afternoon. He started going on and on about how great the course at Winthrop University was, and how they played the world championships there, and blah blah blah. He made it sound awesome, so I put aside all the other courses I looked up, and we headed to Winthrop.

Well, Winthrop is a nice course but it's not that nice. When we got there it was nearly impossible ot navigate. It was difficult to find the tee boxes. The small stones that marked the tees were in the ground so they didn't stick up as something that could be spotted easily. The stones in the ground that marked the tee boxes did not match the holes. For example, a tee box might say Hole 14, but the pin for that hole might say it was hole #2. I had no idea on the layout and got out my iphone and started doing some research. All the reviews said it was impossible to navigate if you didn't have someone there familiar with the course. I didn't have a map so I was lost. I finally found a google image that showed the layout of the course but I had to look at it every hole just to find the next. It was extremely confusing. It took a while but I got a round in using the map, but after figuring out the map, it just wan't that great of a course. Not very challenging, not much woods, pretty open, kind of boring. To top it off I trew the Teebird I had just bought in the lake and lost it again. It was windy, and not very fun playing that day. I found out later the layout was so difficult because they basically had 2 layouts you could play there. But the 2 layouts were laying over top each other. So hole #5 in one layout might be hole #11 in another layout. Overall it was a very crappy day. The layout I played was way too easy, I lost a disc, it was windy, and overall not a great experience. The good part was, it was a pretty nice fall day, it was something to do while we were stuck there, and it definitely helped pass the time.

The next day I picked a course that I had previously looked up online. I played a course called Winget. It was a nice wooded course near an elementary school in south Charlotte near lake Wylie. It was wooded, very picturesque, a fun course, but pretty short compared to courses I usually play. That day was a very fun day, an enjoyable walk for my mom, and we definitely had fun.

Overall I can't complain because I got to play disc golf in Charlotte where the sport is huge. I just wish I had made better use of my time on that first day instead of going to Winthrop. I just hate it when you have a plan, then change that plan based on someone elses recommendations, then that recomendation ends up not working out. All in all, that is on me though. I could have not listened and did what I wanted in the first place... but hindsight is 20/20. I know better now, and like I said, there were still some positives to take out of the visit. I am looking forward to going back to that area again to play some of the courses I wanted to play.

I have lost quite a few discs over the last month or so and I finally just made a big order from the disc golf center online this weekend. I am looking forward to getting my new discs. I ordered a new Beast Champion 171, a Monarch Champion I-Dye 171, a Teebird 171, a Buzz (special color with the Bee on it) 175, a Rhyno 175, and a Roadrunner 171. Combined with the discs I alread own Ill have a full bag of about 12 discs. There are several that I have 2 of the same disc just in different weights. I try not to have too many... this might be too many for my level, but we'll see how it works out.

Also wanted to mention, I have been looking for shoes to play disc golf in over the past several weeks. I know this sound shallow, but I wanted to find some black shoes that could handle hiking terrain. Finding hiking shoes in black was nearly impossible. I just like black, and I didn't think that was asking too much. Just about every hiking (or trail running) boot I found was brown. Well, I had read some reviews online and a lot of people were recommending the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra Mid 2 GTX LINK.

There was an REI in Charlotte and I got a pair. A bit pricy, but I figured they would last long and I really like them a lot. The woman at REI told me that Salomon's are known for having high arches for narrow feet, and a big open toe box. That description fit my feet exactly, and these shoes definitely fit that description too. I really love the high arches, and I have a narrow foot, but it is nice to have an open toe box with pleny of room. If any of you are looking for a good disc golf shoe I would definitely recommend these.

'Jutz said:
I went to an outdoors store that sold discs and bought a teebird. A disc I liked, but had lost the first day I tried it a few weeks ago. While buying the disc we told the guy at the store that we were going to play that afternoon. He started going on and on about how great the course at Winthrop University was, and how they played the world championships there, and blah blah blah. He made it sound awesome, so I put aside all the other courses I looked up, and we headed to Winthrop.
That sucks you wasted your time at Winthrop. There are so many more deserving courses to play in Charlotte.

'Jutz said:
That sucks you wasted your time at Winthrop. There are so many more deserving courses to play in Charlotte.
I know :kicksrock: I am like... trying my best to just forget about it and get over it. But I went to freakin WINTHROP in one of the disc golf capitols of the country! And most people are probably like... WTF is this guy all troubled about. But I would imagine if you know the courses in that area you would understand. Oh well... like I said, at least I know now. And there is a really good chance I'll make it back to Charlotte so... there is that at least.

Users who are viewing this thread