What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Disc Golf Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Let the record state that I played both Pinchot courses over the last 3 days... left handed.

ETA: Take that Sandy.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend and I decided to try and branch out and go on some dg outings out of our normal local area and we played 2 different courses the past 2 weekends. Last Saturday we played at Whispering Falls in Greencastle, PA. This Sunday we played Seneca Creek State Park in Gaithersburg, MD.

We heard about Whispering Falls from a dg group EZ Glider told me about. I subscribed to their fb page and saw pics from a tournament at this course. I looked it up online and made the drive from Harrisburg, PA. It is right off I81 right near the MD / PA border. It was a really nice course. 27 holes. The first 18 were wooded, and the last 9 were pretty well open. Having never played there, the first 18 was tough, so it was nice to have some room on the last 9.

Seneca Creek was nearly a 2 hour drive from home, and they do charge a fee to get in the park ($3 MD resident, $5 non resident). There are 27 holes. All of them were pretty difficult, most all of them pretty heavily wooded too. We played all 27, then went back and played the first 18 again. Excellent course, highly recommended. Even though I didn't play well, the course was really nice.

I am really out of shape, pretty bad. I have been playing a lot lately to try and get some exercise. We definitely got a lot of good rounds in. I played pretty bad at both places. I think it is a combination of new courses, being out of shape, and trying too hard. I think I am way too tight when I try too hard. I need to loosen up and let it flow. Although, when I completed 18 and we are moving on to more, sometimes my legs feel like jelly depending on where we play (especially 'big pinchot'). I think getting in shape would help a lot too. It's tough chasing discs in the heavy rough of the woods, but it is still really fun.
Been wanting to play Seneca Creek State Park for a while. Good on you.
Ha. I live about a mile from SCSP and ride my bike through the disc golf area pretty much daily going to and from the trail network I ride. Looks like it'd be a cool place to do that, if you're into it.

Let the record state that I played both Pinchot courses over the last 3 days... left handed. ETA: Take that Sandy.
:headbang: I've only been playing about a year now, but after playing a lot of courses nearby I am starting to appreciate both Pinchot courses more and more. I am really starting to enjoy 'big Pinchot' even though it kicks my ### just about every time I play it.

My friend and I decided to try and branch out and go on some dg outings out of our normal local area and we played 2 different courses the past 2 weekends. Last Saturday we played at Whispering Falls in Greencastle, PA. This Sunday we played Seneca Creek State Park in Gaithersburg, MD.

We heard about Whispering Falls from a dg group EZ Glider told me about. I subscribed to their fb page and saw pics from a tournament at this course. I looked it up online and made the drive from Harrisburg, PA. It is right off I81 right near the MD / PA border. It was a really nice course. 27 holes. The first 18 were wooded, and the last 9 were pretty well open. Having never played there, the first 18 was tough, so it was nice to have some room on the last 9.

Seneca Creek was nearly a 2 hour drive from home, and they do charge a fee to get in the park ($3 MD resident, $5 non resident). There are 27 holes. All of them were pretty difficult, most all of them pretty heavily wooded too. We played all 27, then went back and played the first 18 again. Excellent course, highly recommended. Even though I didn't play well, the course was really nice.

I am really out of shape, pretty bad. I have been playing a lot lately to try and get some exercise. We definitely got a lot of good rounds in. I played pretty bad at both places. I think it is a combination of new courses, being out of shape, and trying too hard. I think I am way too tight when I try too hard. I need to loosen up and let it flow. Although, when I completed 18 and we are moving on to more, sometimes my legs feel like jelly depending on where we play (especially 'big pinchot'). I think getting in shape would help a lot too. It's tough chasing discs in the heavy rough of the woods, but it is still really fun.
Been wanting to play Seneca Creek State Park for a while. Good on you.
Ha. I live about a mile from SCSP and ride my bike through the disc golf area pretty much daily going to and from the trail network I ride. Looks like it'd be a cool place to do that, if you're into it.
That park is really nice. I only explored the disc golf courses, but it seemed like a huge park with a lot to offer no matter what you do there. The disc golf was tough that day but I'd like to take another run at it. Not sure if I will make it down there with winter coming, but maybe next year.

Anyone still playing? I've been playing a ton lately. Since my last update at the end of October I've probably played almost every weekend with few exceptions (maybe 2-3 weekends at most). Good news is I have been getting in better shape so I can handle the multiple round days. I've even gotten to a level where I am actually keeping score.

Of the 2 most popular courses in my area at Pinchot Park, I have scored a +9 for the beginner / intermediate course at Pinchot. The best score I could record at the advanced coures at Pinchot AKA Big Pinchot +23 is about all I could do. If you ever played this course you might actually think this is an OK score.

One thing I did want to mention in particular is a great disc I have been using. First of all, I posted earlier in this thread about a disc called the TeeBird and how much I loved it, and how I lost about 2 or 3 of them after 1 round, and blah blah blah. Well, I went to order a TeeBird online to replace the most recent one I had lost. I found out that the disc I really wanted was in fact NOT the TeeBird. It is a disc called the TL. It is listed as the TL (Teebird-L) Plus on discgolfcenter.com. The ratings for this disc are: Speed 7, Glide 5, High Speed Stability 0, Low Speed Stability 1. Basically with the last 2 numbers being 0 and 1 it means this disc does not turn very much. This disc seems perfect for highly wooded courses where NOT hitting a tree is just as important as throwing a disc long.

One thing this thread taught me is don't go for the big high speed number discs. Play within yourself, notch it back a bit, get the basics straight. The 7 speed is a little low but I've been finding it doesn't really make a huge difference in pure distance. It is a speed that I am well able to handle. With the turn numbers being so low, I can usually throw it very straight and since it doesn't wind either way very much it holds it's line very well. I bought it as a midrange or fairway driver, but I've ended up using it as my main driver just because of the accuracy. Since I play mostly wooded courses it has helped me out tremendously.

Over the past couple months I would say I've gotten at least 2 rounds in each weekend. Many weekends 2 rounds Saturday, and 2 rounds Sunday. I think the most I've played was 4 rounds at the intermediate course on a Saturday, then 2 1/2 rounds at the big course on a Sunday. The hills at the 'big' course have definitely gotten me in better shape. I can handle 2 rounds at the big course pretty well at this point. Throwing a straight driver and staying out of thick woods actually makes it easier to handle from a physical standpoint too.

One hole I was particularly proud of was a par I made. There is a 935 foot par 6 (hole 3) that is a beast and I pared it. I know it is only a par, but it was a big accomplishment for me. It has a lot of trees and just throwing a midrange shot without hitting a tree is difficult.

You weren't out there yesterday, were you?

We played doubles yesterday, and still took a 7 on #3 (I am playing left handed now, but still)

You weren't out there yesterday, were you?We played doubles yesterday, and still took a 7 on #3 (I am playing left handed now, but still)
No, this past weekend was one I missed. I had to drive to NC Saturday, and drove back from NC Sunday (16 hours driving in 2 days was rough). My daughter lives in NC with her mom. She was with me the past couple weeks and I had to take her home.While she was here I actually took her out and got a few rounds in. I am trying to get her interested but she just isn't. I gave her a disc and she would throw a few times to try it, but only played a few holes. I took her out just so we could get outdoors, get some exercise, and spend some time together. I told her to think of it as hiking while throwing a disc around. She actually likes the cold weather and the snow... I guess since she doesn't see it much in NC. Sounds crazy... but I do remember really liking snow when I was a kid too.I played little Pinchot with her Monday a week ago, Creekside Tuesday, then Lancaster Wednesday. There was snow on the ground but it wasn't too cold. I'll be playing this weekend though. Even when it's really cold, I'm usually sweating by the time I climb up the hill on hole #1 at big. I'd take a 7 on 3 any day. I think about that hole, and how to play it, even when I'm not on the course.

One thing this thread taught me is don't go for the big high speed number discs. Play within yourself, notch it back a bit, get the basics straight. The 7 speed is a little low but I've been finding it doesn't really make a huge difference in pure distance. It is a speed that I am well able to handle. With the turn numbers being so low, I can usually throw it very straight and since it doesn't wind either way very much it holds it's line very well. I bought it as a midrange or fairway driver, but I've ended up using it as my main driver just because of the accuracy. Since I play mostly wooded courses it has helped me out tremendously.
Good stuff.Guys find it SOOOO difficult (and/or feel emasculated) to throw something other than the biggest/fastest/longest ____________. And good course designers know this...like my friend, Chuck Kennedy, who has designed dozens and dozens of courses all over the place.Chuck doesn't always get it right (nobody does). But one of my favorite "Chuckisms" when it comes to design are what he/I call "trap holes." Short enough to dare anyone of all abilities to try for that deuce. But hard enough where most players other than your upper level Intermediate/Advanced/Open caliber players cannot do it more than half the time. Basically, you're baiting or daring the less-skilled into trying for two. Which often times means that they end up placing a circle-4 or circle-5 on the card. A relatively easily par three if they know how to putt and take what the course gives them! But they just can't stand to be on that tee box and not try and run some chains. And then they wonder why a course that averages only 261 feet/hole won't even let them break par.Learn your putter...to the point where it is practically an extension of your hand/body. The learn your mid-range and approach discs cold. At least while you're still learning, all a driver really needs to be is something that chews up feet and gets you close enough to stick your approach and putt. And on any holes where you can tee off with your mid-range or a putter? THOSE are the holes where you make a little hay! But if you've got a 15-20% chance at setting up a deuce putt, and a 25-30% chance of winding up with a bogey (or worse), live to fight another day and take that par-3. In most leagues/tournaments (for other than Open/Advanced), it's the player who makes the fewest: - bonehead decisions - missed putts...who wins. Let other guys throw it 400 feet out and 100 feet left off the tee. :) If you get rock-solid at your approaches and putting, even if you're only ~275 feet off the tee, I'll bet you kick most of their ###es, round after round.

Trying my best to reach 100 different courses played (in my lifetime) by the end of 2013. 77 down, at least 23 to go. Most of those courses I've played are in MN and IA, though I've also played a few courses in WI, SD, NE, IL, and HI as well. Should be able to play a bunch in MSP this year that I haven't seen yet...plus I'll be road-tripping to Louisville, KY and Greenville, SC for work later in the year, and will make sure and include my discs with my luggage. I'd hope to get to 200-300 different courses before I eventually keel over of a stroke/heart attack/aneurism. But at least getting to 100 will be a nice achievement for my DG "career." Would like to say I've designed at least ten courses too (five down, 5+ to go).

Trying my best to reach 100 different courses played (in my lifetime) by the end of 2013. 77 down, at least 23 to go. Most of those courses I've played are in MN and IA, though I've also played a few courses in WI, SD, NE, IL, and HI as well. Should be able to play a bunch in MSP this year that I haven't seen yet...plus I'll be road-tripping to Louisville, KY and Greenville, SC for work later in the year, and will make sure and include my discs with my luggage. I'd hope to get to 200-300 different courses before I eventually keel over of a stroke/heart attack/aneurism. But at least getting to 100 will be a nice achievement for my DG "career." Would like to say I've designed at least ten courses too (five down, 5+ to go).
That's awesome man. I've still been at. Been playing every weekend. Was just talking to the guy I play with all the time about making some road trips as the weather gets better. That's a cool idea. I never had a number of courses in mind, but maybe I should think about that. I've only been out of PA to play once (MD) but I have played quite a few courses between western, central, and eastern PA.

Good stuff.Guys find it SOOOO difficult (and/or feel emasculated) to throw something other than the biggest/fastest/longest ____________. And good course designers know this...like my friend, Chuck Kennedy, who has designed dozens and dozens of courses all over the place.Chuck doesn't always get it right (nobody does). But one of my favorite "Chuckisms" when it comes to design are what he/I call "trap holes." Short enough to dare anyone of all abilities to try for that deuce. But hard enough where most players other than your upper level Intermediate/Advanced/Open caliber players cannot do it more than half the time. Basically, you're baiting or daring the less-skilled into trying for two. Which often times means that they end up placing a circle-4 or circle-5 on the card. A relatively easily par three if they know how to putt and take what the course gives them! But they just can't stand to be on that tee box and not try and run some chains. And then they wonder why a course that averages only 261 feet/hole won't even let them break par.Learn your putter...to the point where it is practically an extension of your hand/body. The learn your mid-range and approach discs cold. At least while you're still learning, all a driver really needs to be is something that chews up feet and gets you close enough to stick your approach and putt. And on any holes where you can tee off with your mid-range or a putter? THOSE are the holes where you make a little hay! But if you've got a 15-20% chance at setting up a deuce putt, and a 25-30% chance of winding up with a bogey (or worse), live to fight another day and take that par-3. In most leagues/tournaments (for other than Open/Advanced), it's the player who makes the fewest: - bonehead decisions - missed putts...who wins. Let other guys throw it 400 feet out and 100 feet left off the tee. :) If you get rock-solid at your approaches and putting, even if you're only ~275 feet off the tee, I'll bet you kick most of their ###es, round after round.
I just re-read this for the first time since I was last in this thread and I have actually been doing pretty well in taking this advice. There are 2 holes I can think of on the main course I have been playing that are 'trap' holes as you put it. I had been getting 'trapped' just about every time, but eventually I changed and took your advice. I started throwing either putters or mid range discs off the tee and just making easy pars with an occational bird.I would say that my putting has improved a lot, and I worked on it a lot in my basement. I started throwing a disc into a mattress that is propped up agains the wall. I was just throwing maybe 20 foot putts aiming at a target and working on a wrist snap. I don't know that I reached the 'putting being an extention of my arm' point, but I am a lot closer then I was. I still struggle with accuracy on my mid range shots. They have definitely gotten better, but I have a tough time with consistency, and accuracy. Just throwing the disc on the line I am aming at is one of my biggest challenges.I've actually gone a little backwards on my drives. I have been trying to really really back off on the power and find a way to gain consistency. Most of the holes on the course I play do not require a really long drive. I've been trying to just get maybe 260 or so feet but place it in a good spot. Unfortunately, I am having difficulty settling on what footwork, and back swing to use. I've been experimenting a lot with different things which leads to some bad round that can be chalked up to practice, but I am slowly figuring out what drive feels comfortable. Not quite there yet.Most weekends I play anywhere from 4 - 8 rounds. This past weekend I actually played 10 rounds (2 Friday, 6 Saturday, and 2 Sunday). Each weekend I play I usually don't score well except for 1 round that I manage to put it together. When I shoot my best round it is usually in the +7 to +8 range. I seem to be a little stuck at that +8 area score, but I think if I get some more consistency I can shoot a +5 or better.ETA: I experimented with a lot of different putting styles, and eventually tried the 'straddle' put and I like it a lot. I seem to do well getting the disc flat with the straddle put, and it helps a lot of you need step to the side to get around a tree.

I know a guy who played 100+ courses last year ;)

So???? :oldunsure: How many of you guys are rolling into Rock Hill this week for the championships??
i retired over 10 years ago from professional play. went to worlds for 3 years running in the mid 90s. a friend of mine played the usdgc about 5 years ago and did ok.

the usdgc is hands down the most competitive disc golf event on the planet.

Might be a dumb question, but do people go to these things just to "watch"? If so, is it like going to a golf tournament? Is it best to plant yourself in one place or walk around?

Might be a dumb question, but do people go to these things just to "watch"? If so, is it like going to a golf tournament? Is it best to plant yourself in one place or walk around?
sure, i galleried a tourny this summer. it was hot so i hung out in the shade, moved a few times. a lot of top pros were there including the world distance record holder. 10,000$ purse!

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84520
Next dumb question....is it "quiet" at these events or can kids run around and play (not on the course of course)?

sure, i galleried a tourny this summer. it was hot so i hung out in the shade, moved a few times. a lot of top pros were there including the world distance record holder. 10,000$ purse!

Next dumb question....is it "quiet" at these events or can kids run around and play (not on the course of course)?
courtesy is the same as in ball golf, respect the game and your opponent. kids are welcome if they can follow courtesy rules as well. they are the future of our sport.

courtesy is the same as in ball golf, respect the game and your opponent. kids are welcome if they can follow courtesy rules as well. they are the future of our sport.
That would be a "negative ghost rider" on the kids.

I started bringing my kids to the USDGC when they 4, 5. They had a great time but do need to be quiet and can't run all over the place. Unfortunately we can't make it there this year.

I started bringing my kids to the USDGC when they 4, 5. They had a great time but do need to be quiet and can't run all over the place. Unfortunately we can't make it there this year.
Yeah...problem for me is that where this is being played is where we go and they get to run around crazy all the time. Might take my son, but no way I can take both of them. No chance on the quiet if they are together.

Just went with a friend for the first time. Really enjoyable!

Suggestions on a set of discs for the missus and myself?

distance driver - innova blizzard boss

farway driver - innova sidewinder

mid - innova roc

put - innova aviar

its only 35 degrees but the sun is out. basically, a perfect day for some disc. ive sent out half a dozen texts looking for someone to play with.

no replys as of yet. life sux. :cry:

its only 35 degrees but the sun is out. basically, a perfect day for some disc. ive sent out half a dozen texts looking for someone to play with.

no replys as of yet. life sux. :cry:
You can't play by yourself?
i suppose i could but the courses are a few miles away and i got no car or weed. :shrug:
Why don't you get a job, Spicoli?
if i got a job i couldnt cry about not having someone to folf with. :kicksrock:

What's shaking?

I've really had the bug this year. Haven't played as much as I'd like to, but that will probably always be the case.

Worked on my reach back and have gained some distance with my drivers and mids. Switched putters recently too in an effort to find some consistency. Bought some backup putters so I can go out and practice.

I am in LOVE with Latitude 64 lately. Opto and GL plastics just feel great to me.

An excuse to bump the DG thread, hehe. I just saw this post again tonight, and wanted to say that I ended 2013 with 150 total different courses played. And since 1/1/2014, I've played another 109 different courses so far. 259 total, across 28 States. Disc golf "course collecting" isn't for everyone. But playing all over the country, meeting dozens of new locals who share a mutual passion for the sport? AWESOME. Even better than league/tourney play. It'd be fun to someday say I got to courses in all 50 States. Think 259 courses puts me around the top 65 in the world (on sites where players keep track of that sort of thing). I'll never catch the guys at the top (~1,100+ courses played). But I'm just having fun traveling...sneaking into the top 0.13% of players in the world in punching my DG "passport." :thumbup:

Good stuff datonn, are you retired? What state(s) have the best courses in your opinion?
Of everywhere I've played, I think my favorite courses are in the Appalachians. Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia have some great ones. Though the area around Ludington, MI is pretty amazing too. The Mason County Park system courses (x3) and Flip City, all being within 20-30 minutes of one another? WOW. MacKenzie State Park on Hawai'i will probably always be my favorite in my mind. Playing tonal targets with locals...having to time your tee shot on one hole to not have the pounding surf spray knock your drive into the ocean. It's an experience of a lifetime. And playing in the desert Southwest was amazing as well. Hard to pick a "favorite," with so much wonderful variety to enjoy! But I think the Appalachians would be it, if I were forced to choose.

Saying that, I'll be in New England for most of the next month...and I've never played up there before. Should get new courses played in PA, NJ, CT, RI, MA, ME, NH, VT and NY on that trip...and some of those pine forest courses I've seen online up that way look amazing. So in a month, I might tell you that the Appalachians pale by comparison! :P

And no, I'm not retired. I just run a business that lets me call anywhere with electricity and wifi home for an indefinite period...plus I have clients in ten time zones who periodically want to have some face-time. I'm probably on the road now 45-50+ days/year...and my discs are either always in the trunk or serve as my carry-on. :)

Good stuff datonn, are you retired? What state(s) have the best courses in your opinion?
Of everywhere I've played, I think my favorite courses are in the Appalachians. Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia have some great ones. Though the area around Ludington, MI is pretty amazing too. The Mason County Park system courses (x3) and Flip City, all being within 20-30 minutes of one another? WOW. MacKenzie State Park on Hawai'i will probably always be my favorite in my mind. Playing tonal targets with locals...having to time your tee shot on one hole to not have the pounding surf spray knock your drive into the ocean. It's an experience of a lifetime. And playing in the desert Southwest was amazing as well. Hard to pick a "favorite," with so much wonderful variety to enjoy! But I think the Appalachians would be it, if I were forced to choose.

Saying that, I'll be in New England for most of the next month...and I've never played up there before. Should get new courses played in PA, NJ, CT, RI, MA, ME, NH, VT and NY on that trip...and some of those pine forest courses I've seen online up that way look amazing. So in a month, I might tell you that the Appalachians pale by comparison! :P

And no, I'm not retired. I just run a business that lets me call anywhere with electricity and wifi home for an indefinite period...plus I have clients in ten time zones who periodically want to have some face-time. I'm probably on the road now 45-50+ days/year...and my discs are either always in the trunk or serve as my carry-on. :)
RV guy, right?

I think RV guy is lombardi (or some name like that) - unless we have multiple Footballguy RV drivers.

And the description of the Hawaii course is mind blowing.

Not RV guy. Actually, I think I've only spent one weekend in an RV my entire life, and it was for a softball tournament when I was 17. :)

I'm a housesitting guy. People need someone to watch their place for a few weeks/months, so you take care of their place in exchange for free lodging. You've got travel expenses to get to/from! But being able to stay in "Boston" or "San Francisco" or ??? for weeks on-end without the hotel expenses makes those dollars stretch pretty far. Water a few plants, feed the occasional dog/cat (if they have pets), and work when it's dark out or lousy weather...then use the afternoon/daylight to check-out new courses in new corners of the country/world. It's a good gig! I'm FAAAAAAAAAAR from being anywhere close to "wealthy." But the lifestyle I've worked out for myself is pretty darned good. Plus my wife and daughters love to travel too, and their school is flexible enough to let them do at least a fair amount of their readings/homework online and/or remotely. Since both our daughters (11 and 8) test out in the top 1% of students in their age groups nationwide. Got two smarties! Which was probably my wife's DNA...since I'm more "street smart," while she's got most of the book smarts in our marriage. :P

I think RV guy is lombardi (or some name like that) - unless we have multiple Footballguy RV drivers.

And the description of the Hawaii course is mind blowing.
Found this picture from MacKenzie on Hawai'i online: http://www.discgolfscene.com/coursepictures/14415_l.jpg

The area just past the "6" sign in the picture (must be the Rec tee from a tourney or something, as the course has no permanent signage) drops off about 25 feet to the ocean. We played (I think) about ~125 feet further back and to the right with the locals, and about every 7-8 seconds, you would feel/hear "boom!" and have the spray from huge waves jump about 15 feet in the air in front of you. HUGE swells that day, and I don't know about the status of the tides when I played it. But it was pretty amazing to feel/hear that much water slamming into the side of the "cliff" that you were about to launch your plastic off of.

FWIW too, I'm a LHBH player, so that long of an anhyzer (photo + ~125 feet) was a TOUGH shot for me. I remember timing the waves in my head, then after the spray went up in the air, starting my X-step immediately to get it out of there before the next wave. My trusty Katana (that I have since lost in Waterloo, IA), which just, JUST barely made it off the lava and into that lighter green stuff past the lava.

If you told me I can go over there and play it again, I'll have my bags packed in about ten minutes...ready to head to the airport to meet you. :) If you ever get the chance to play in Hawaii, do it.

What's shaking?

I've really had the bug this year. Haven't played as much as I'd like to, but that will probably always be the case.

Worked on my reach back and have gained some distance with my drivers and mids. Switched putters recently too in an effort to find some consistency. Bought some backup putters so I can go out and practice.

I am in LOVE with Latitude 64 lately. Opto and GL plastics just feel great to me.
FYI, the day I bumped this thread I got my first ace. :hifive:

244 ft Roc through a fairly narrow tree gap and faded right into the basket. :headbang:

An excuse to bump the DG thread, hehe. I just saw this post again tonight, and wanted to say that I ended 2013 with 150 total different courses played. And since 1/1/2014, I've played another 109 different courses so far. 259 total, across 28 States. Disc golf "course collecting" isn't for everyone. But playing all over the country, meeting dozens of new locals who share a mutual passion for the sport? AWESOME. Even better than league/tourney play. It'd be fun to someday say I got to courses in all 50 States. Think 259 courses puts me around the top 65 in the world (on sites where players keep track of that sort of thing). I'll never catch the guys at the top (~1,100+ courses played). But I'm just having fun traveling...sneaking into the top 0.13% of players in the world in punching my DG "passport." :thumbup:
Pretty awesome. One of the coolest things about playing DG in different places is meeting the people. Almost always very gracious and laid back. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread