What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Disc Golf Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Going out this afternoon for the first round of the year. A bit windy here in the DC area but sunny and 70s this afternoon so :cool:

bumping this so I can read through it. I've been playing more and more lately and it's time to learn more about the discs.

I finally played my local course on Sunday and realize that I need to upgrade all of my equipment. The 9th hole is 1,000 feet, it took me 6 throws to get within putting range which is always discouraging. Is a lighter disc going to make a huge difference in driving distance? My buddy who had the strongest arm of all of us took 3 tosses to get down there but I'm not sure what type of disc he had either.

http://www.staffordlake.com/thecourse

CGRdrJoe said:
The 9th hole is 1,000 feet, it took me 6 throws to get within putting range which is always discouraging. Is a lighter disc going to make a huge difference in driving distance?

Without seeing you throw it is hard to make recommendations but I will say if you dont have a powerful arm and you are throwing high speed drivers you will actually be losing distance. If you are newer to the game I think you are better off only using putters and mid-range discs. At the start you will be able to throw those as far as most drivers and have a better chance of keeping them in the fairway.

CGRdrJoe said:
The 9th hole is 1,000 feet, it took me 6 throws to get within putting range which is always discouraging. Is a lighter disc going to make a huge difference in driving distance?

Without seeing you throw it is hard to make recommendations but I will say if you dont have a powerful arm and you are throwing high speed drivers you will actually be losing distance. If you are newer to the game I think you are better off only using putters and mid-range discs. At the start you will be able to throw those as far as most drivers and have a better chance of keeping them in the fairway.
it's funny you say that because my mid was outflying my driver by at least 150 feet.

Until you can throw putters 200'+ and mids 250'-300'+ there is not much benefit to using higher speed discs. Your next step up should be an understable fairway driver like a Leapord or similar mold. When you can get that out to 300'-325' consistently (or it starts to turn over on you) then you can start experimenting with other discs.

Until you can throw putters 200'+ and mids 250'-300'+ there is not much benefit to using higher speed discs. Your next step up should be an understable fairway driver like a Leapord or similar mold. When you can get that out to 300'-325' consistently (or it starts to turn over on you) then you can start experimenting with other discs.
This is right where I am now, but I do throw fairway drivers already. Hitting just about 300'. Been playing 2 months.

This is right where I am now, but I do throw fairway drivers already. Hitting just about 300'. Been playing 2 months.
That's great for playing 2 months. What are you throwing?

:goodposting:

Leopard and Stratus are my go-to drivers. Just got a 165g GStar Valkyrie that I'm liking a lot too, when I need a big fade at the end. I can make it go straight if I get a good rip on it, but my form isn't consistent enough to do it reliably. Leopard goes the farthest, and I throw the Stratus for anny shots. I still throw plenty of meathooks and shanks into trees and whatnot, but when I get everything perfect, I can get nice distance. I've been practicing a lot.

Watch this video and practice the sort of things he discusses:

I played a few times about 10 years ago, but didn't really start playing often until maybe the last few years. The past year I've really started to play as much as I can find time to.

I have probably 20 discs I carry, mostly Dynamic Discs/Westside Discs/Latitude 64 stuff, some repeat molds.

Favorites are probably:

Long distance: Tern (maybe the only Innova in my bag), Sword, Escape

Fairway: Saint, Seer, Hatchet

Mids: Truth, Fuse, Trident

Putters: Envy for throwing, soft Warden for putting

Sword is probably my favorite disc at the moment.

That video is :moneybag:

I went out today and just concentrated on that pulling motion, close to the chest. First drive was unlike anything I've unleashed before, dead straight frozen rope with the Stratus, didn't fade at all at the end. Went at least 300' and missed the basket by about a foot. Unfortunately the basket was only 250' away, but still. :lol:

Had a lot of other nice rips too, along with my usual skyhooks, tree smashes etc., but overall my most fun round yet despite the oppressive heat.

I need to get back into this. Since having kids I have all but given it up. Granted, having no good courses within 45 minutes of me is also a major factor. Even when I played regularly, I don't think I ever threw 300+ feet consistently.

My favorite discs are the Buzzz, Gazelle and this incredibly beat up Beast that I use exclusively to tomahawk. I absolutely HATE all those super fast discs and have no idea what the use for them is. The people that I see on the course that are much better than I am drive with discs such as the Roc or Valkyrie and it seems to be plenty

one of our local courses has become lierally a 'family affair'. kids, dogs, gramdmas, everywhere.

speed of play suffers, but i can help but smile.

I need to get back into this. Since having kids I have all but given it up. Granted, having no good courses within 45 minutes of me is also a major factor. Even when I played regularly, I don't think I ever threw 300+ feet consistently.

My favorite discs are the Buzzz, Gazelle and this incredibly beat up Beast that I use exclusively to tomahawk. I absolutely HATE all those super fast discs and have no idea what the use for them is. The people that I see on the course that are much better than I am drive with discs such as the Roc or Valkyrie and it seems to be plenty
I've got this GStar Valkyrie I just bought recently. Flies so great, feels so good in my hand. It's here on the desk with me while I work. I'll probably take it upstairs with me later when it's time for dinner. :wub: I think if I stacked up all my discs, it would be taller than me. Started playing in May.

2015 Pro Worlds Livestream Schedule on DiscGolfPlanet.TV Tuesday, August 4th 8:30AM-12:30PM est

1:30PM-5:30PM

7:00PM-8:00PM

• Disc Golf Workshop 02: All Aspects of Sponsorship, Explained
Wednesday, August 5th 8:30AM-12:30PM

Thursday, August 6th 8:30AM-12:30PM

• Open Masters & Open Women's divisions (Round 4) at Slippery Rock

• Disc Golf Workshop 04: Importance of PDGA featuring Matt Gregoire #28647 (PDGA Media Manager)
8:00PM-9:00PM

Friday, August 7th 8:30AM-12:30PM

• Disc Golf Workshop 05: Who are disc golfers? (Demographics Survey)
Saturday, August 8th 8:00AM-12:00PM

1:00PM

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont play much anymore but about a month ago had a religious disc golf experience. was playing at this place http://www.skisolitude.com/summer/disc_golf.php

on maybe hole 13, i threw a thumber approach shot over a tree from maybe 50

yards out and the disc bounced off the top of the cage. the very next hole i threw a hammer approach shot from maybe 75 yards over another tree and holed it. took me like 30 seconds to walk to the hole to confirm it went in.

and i was on mushrooms.

How old are your kids?

Kids are one of the reasons why I play DG instead of ball golf or other activities. I can take my kids out in the woods and hang out with them while I play. No cost, and it doesn't take 4-5 hours of my day.

How old are your kids?

Kids are one of the reasons why I play DG instead of ball golf or other activities. I can take my kids out in the woods and hang out with them while I play. No cost, and it doesn't take 4-5 hours of my day.
Mine are 3 (twins), I still feel it's a bit young. The nearest 9-hole worth playing is 45 minutes away and it's got a lot of hills and poison oak. I take them with me when I go to Tahoe, but even then it can be a lot of walking and they get tired out.

How old are your kids?

Mine are 3 (twins), I still feel it's a bit young. The nearest 9-hole worth playing is 45 minutes away and it's got a lot of hills and poison oak. I take them with me when I go to Tahoe, but even then it can be a lot of walking and they get tired out.
Gotcha. Yeah, my youngest (also twins) are 4. They are just getting to the point where they can handle 18 holes on a real course (though not during the hot summer).

You've got a lot to look forward to though. My two oldest (6/9) love to go with me.

How old are your kids?

Gotcha. Yeah, my youngest (also twins) are 4. They are just getting to the point where they can handle 18 holes on a real course (though not during the hot summer).

You've got a lot to look forward to though. My two oldest (6/9) love to go with me.
Cool. Honestly my biggest problem is that the driving distance to the nearest course is obscene. I have a 9-hole in town, but the holes are all super short, there are no obstacles, and it tends to get windy. I just don't find it fun. To play the closest course it is about 45 minutes drive. It's a nice 9-hole course that has a bunch of variety. Other than that it is either drive roughly an hour depending on traffic to San Jose or San Francisco. This means I need to devote an entire day to playing when I figure I have 2 hours of drive time. If I'm driving two hours I don't want to play for 30 minutes and turn around.

My in-laws are in Tahoe so that is where i play the most and I do take the kids with me. It's laid back, they can hunt for pine cones, and maybe toss a disc or two. The drive time is 5-10 minutes so if the kids are getting disinterested I don't feel bad about leaving.

Two new names sit atop the leaderboards of the 2015 Pro Worlds, but new to being in the lead they certainly are not. Sarah Hokom #34563, having won the PDGA Professional World Championships in 2012 in Charlotte, NC, knows exactly how to manage the stress of and compete with the pressure of a world title hanging over her head. Will Schusterick #29064 has yet to add the title of “World Champion” to his résumé, but as a 3X US Disc Golf Champion,
http://www.pdga.com/hokom-and-schusterick-new-leaders-2015-pro-worlds

Users who are viewing this thread