What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Disc Golf Thread*** (1 Viewer)

A tier events, this year.

March 2-5, 2016

NT

28th Memorial Championship presented by Discraft

Fountain Hills AZ USA

April 13-16, 2016

XM

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships

N. Augusta SC USA

April 22-24, 2016

A

Amateur Championships at Bowling Green

Bowling Green, KY USA

April 28-30, 2016

NT

Glass Blown Open

Emporia, KS USA

May 6-8, 2016

NT

Kansas City Wide Open

Kansas City, MO USA

May 20-22, 2016

NT

31st Annual "Steady" Ed Memorial Masters Cup - Presented by DGA (Pro)

Santa Cruz CA USA

May 27-29, 2016

XM

World Amateur Doubles

Talco TX USA

May 27-29, 2016

XA

St. Jude Disc Golf Charity Invitational

Seaside, CA USA

June 3-5, 2016

M

United States Amateur Disc Golf Championship

Milford MI USA

June 10-12, 2016

NT

Beaver State Fling

Estacada OR USA

Jun 23-26, 2016

NT

Vibram presents the Maple Hill Open

Leicester MA USA

July 9-16, 2016

M

PDGA Amateur Disc Golf World Championships

Madison, WI USA

July 21-23, 2016

M

European Masters

Stockholm, Sweden

August 6-13, 2016

M

PDGA Pro Disc Golf World Championships

Emporia, KS USA

August 18-21

XM

PDGA/WFDF Team Disc Golf World Championships

Vancouver Area, BC, Canada

August 24-27

XA

European Championships (European Players Only)

Oulu, Finland

August 27-28, 2016

NT

Brent Hambrick Memorial Open

Columbus, OH USA

September 9-11, 2016

M

Tim Selinske U.S. Masters Disc Golf Championships

Stockton, CA USA

September 23-25, 2016

M

United States Women's Disc Golf Championships

Sabattus, ME USA

October 5-8, 2016

M

United States Disc Golf Championship

Rock Hill SC USA

In my town we have an indoor putting league at a brewery.  Great time during the winter to see some friends and throw discs and as an added bonus I won over $300 this year.  :thumbup:

I stopped playing fantasy several years ago so definitely disc golf.  I'm far from a pro but I can putt. 

Still playing constantly and loving it more than any hobby I've ever had. :thumbup:

Currently nuts for Innova Gstar and gummy champion drivers (Tern, Mamba, Roadrunner and Thunderbird). I carry a newer max weight Tern for my overstable max distance driver, a lighter flippier Tern, Gstar Mamba for turnovers, and a Gstar Roadrunner for straight powered-down drives. DX Thunderbird for big left doglegs and spike hyzers.

For my mids (OS to US): Star Gator, Atlas, Star Stingray, X-Stratus. Just ordered some glow champ Gators which supposedly are crazy overstable. Putters are Gstar Wedge (awesome underrated understable putter and my secret weapon), Opto Pure, Polecat, McPro Aviar. Also have been trying out a gummy champ Rhyno for an overstable putter but it's basically a slower mako (neutral/stable). Ordered an R-Pro version to see if it's overstable as advertised. But this champ one may take some midrange shots away from my Atlas and Stingray just because I love how it flies. 

If you wanted to play a round or two but weren't looking to go buy a whole bunch of new discs would you play with an old ultimate frisbee disc or is that crazy?  If cray, what's the bare min you could get by with?

If you wanted to play a round or two but weren't looking to go buy a whole bunch of new discs would you play with an old ultimate frisbee disc or is that crazy?  If cray, what's the bare min you could get by with?
Go to your local Play It Again Sports and tell them you want a cheap used neutral midrange disc like a buzzz or mako, and any putter that feels good in your hand. If that goes well and you decide to play again, go back and tell them you want a good neutral or understable fairway driver.

The XD is not a putter that's used much today, and a Firebird is not at all a beginner's disc. Cobra and Eagle are classics, though not really the kinds of molds you'll appreciate for a first round. You want very basic slow & neutral putters & mids to start learning good form. After a week or two and you're really feeling the sport, you can quickly add faster discs. 

The XD is not a putter that's used much today, and a Firebird is not at all a beginner's disc. Cobra and Eagle are classics, though not really the kinds of molds you'll appreciate for a first round. You want very basic slow & neutral putters & mids to start learning good form. After a week or two and you're really feeling the sport, you can quickly add faster discs. 
What two discs would you recommend from the list towards the bottom then?

No idea if it matters, but I played a lot of ultimate once upon a time and the basic throwing motion shouldn't be an issue or anything.  Guessing medium to medium-fast in terms of full-throw disc speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get an Aviar for your putter -- whatever model/plastic feels best. They're cheap and readily available, and it's best to stay consistent when you're first learning. For your midrange, get a Pure (which is technically a putter but goes long and straight and feels normal for a frisbee player), or a Mako, Atlas, Stingray, Buzzz or Stratus. Another awesome putter is a Polecat which is floaty and frisbee-like. I use that thing all the time.

Once you can throw your mids 200-250 consistently straight, try a Leopard and/or a Diamond. Those will keep you busy for a long time. Don't get all hard for high-speed discs. If you can throw 250-300' on a very consistent basis and putt well, you'll be a top player in your local league. Lots of guys can bomb but they spend half their round searching in the woods for their discs. It's very similar to conventional golf: accuracy & strategy are often rewarded over sheer distance. 

I know muscles can get trained for most anything but don't most people that play frisbee golf have shoulder problems?  

Also - what about the geezers over 40 - that kind of should punishment has to chase most of them away no matter how gnarly they are. 

I know muscles can get trained for most anything but don't most people that play frisbee golf have shoulder problems?  

Also - what about the geezers over 40 - that kind of should punishment has to chase most of them away no matter how gnarly they are. 
It was always elbow pain for me.  Nothing severe but a reminder of aging.  Especially with sidearm throws.  

Guys with arm/shoulder strain aren't throwing correctly. All the power is in your body rotation which goes from your legs to your hips to your torso to your arm. Your arm is only completing the turning motion that was started by the rest of your body. You could have the strongest arm in the world and only throw 200' if your arm is all you're using.

Look at any of the top pros, they're throwing every day and routinely hitting 400-500' with their drives and making it look easy. If all of that power was arm strength, they would need 4 days off like a baseball pitcher and be prone to the same types of elbow & rotator cuff injuries. 

Still playing constantly and loving it more than any hobby I've ever had. :thumbup:

Currently nuts for Innova Gstar and gummy champion drivers (Tern, Mamba, Roadrunner and Thunderbird). I carry a newer max weight Tern for my overstable max distance driver, a lighter flippier Tern, Gstar Mamba for turnovers, and a Gstar Roadrunner for straight powered-down drives. DX Thunderbird for big left doglegs and spike hyzers.

For my mids (OS to US): Star Gator, Atlas, Star Stingray, X-Stratus. Just ordered some glow champ Gators which supposedly are crazy overstable. Putters are Gstar Wedge (awesome underrated understable putter and my secret weapon), Opto Pure, Polecat, McPro Aviar. Also have been trying out a gummy champ Rhyno for an overstable putter but it's basically a slower mako (neutral/stable). Ordered an R-Pro version to see if it's overstable as advertised. But this champ one may take some midrange shots away from my Atlas and Stingray just because I love how it flies. 
This is the first serious McGarnicle post I've ever read. 

I won the beer week doubles disc tournament this year. Alternating throws and drives shotgun deal with a 3hr open tab afterwards. My favorite day of the year. 

I sometimes get pretty sharp pain between my thumb and wrist. I think I hold my power grip to hard?

This season I've started throwing the Ballista distance driver, per a recommendation from a friend. Very stable and gives me a bit more distance than my usual driver (Eagle champion).

I am a geezer (barely) over 40, my shoulder is fuct.  I spent the better part of the last 2 years learning to play left handed as a result. 

Man... I miss disc golf.  Over the past 8 months I've played one round due to sciatic and back problems.  I'm a little over a month after back surgery right now and itching to get back out.  Hoping to get out on the course in early June.

Shockingly a crack pipe in the trash can was the least bizarre thing I saw playing golden gate park, the most bizarre was definitely the guys using push carts to carry all their discs.

HTF does a search for "disc golf" not find this thread?

I played my 3rd and 4th rounds ever this afternoon at Burke Lake... even on the 2nd one today.  Finally got the disc lower and to quit drifting left and it missed a lot more trees.

ETA:  thanks for the advice up thread.  Helped me figure out what I needed to get started.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread