What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Donovan McNabb says RGIII will fail (1 Viewer)

Fat Nick

Footballguy
Donovan McNabb says RGIII won't succeed in Washington.

First, apologies for posting what I think is a poorly written article. The topic is relevant though. I find this article humorous because it's just another case of Donovan trying to make something all about him without appearing to be all about him.

Donovan: Retire. Don't blame the fact that Washington's offense has sucked on the coach and try and claim that you would've somehow been the savior if they used you right...Let's face it, if you were that good, Philly wouldn't have let you go to begin with.

And you wonder why no one wants this cancer on their team.

Phoniest person I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. Cameras on ....Donny's all jokes and smiles. Donny, when camera's off, is a miserable #####.

I'd probably be bitter too if Jake Plummer and Brian Griese both did better in that offense under Shanahan than I did.

He's right.
I think he is right as well.
Either of you care to explain? Is RGIII overrated or is it the system/personnel in Wash?
Shanahan did pretty well with another mobile QB. I think his offense doesn't really get going until there is a strong running game, but if they can find that, I don't see why RGIII can't do well in that O. Remember, Cam was going to be a huge bust. Comments about him not being mature enough or being able to handle complicated offenses, etc. I'm optimistic that RGIII will do very well in terms of fantasy. 40-50 yards rushing and a handful of rushing TD's can push him from top 15 into the top 10 over less mobile QB's.

He's right.
Either of you care to explain? Is RGIII overrated or is it the system/personnel in Wash?
Think about why you feel he will succeed in that offense. I disagree with you on all of those points. As for the system/personnel in Wash....I don't feel like they actually have much of a system. Every year they overpay for low tier free agents or over the hill players. You can't sign a bunch of #### and expect a Super Bowl. You build from the draft, you build with a system and players that have played in that system. Washington will never be good with Snyder involved as he is.

And you wonder why no one wants this cancer on their team.Phoniest person I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. Cameras on ....Donny's all jokes and smiles. Donny, when camera's off, is a miserable #####.
A former close teammate once said(not publicly) that he was the most insecure athlete he'd ever been around. Just about everything he's done since the TO debacle has given full credence to that statement.

A great QB can not only overcome a coach... he can get his ### fired.

Meanwhile, the coach better get rid of the QB early, or it will be too late.

Go go RG3!

He's right.
Think about why you feel he will succeed in that offense. I disagree with you on all of those points. As for the system/personnel in Wash....I don't feel like they actually have much of a system. Every year they overpay for low tier free agents or over the hill players. You can't sign a bunch of #### and expect a Super Bowl. You build from the draft, you build with a system and players that have played in that system. Washington will never be good with Snyder involved as he is.
Snyder's involvement has been minimal since he hired Shanny and Allen.

He's right.
Nothing to do with RGIII, just that if Shanahan doesn't mold the offense around his skills he could screw him up. He's not a pocket passer yet and trying to make him one from the beginning would be huge mistake. Shanahan has hardly been a QB-friendly coach but maybe he'll change it up for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's right.
Shanahan did pretty well with another mobile QB. I think his offense doesn't really get going until there is a strong running game, but if they can find that, I don't see why RGIII can't do well in that O. Remember, Cam was going to be a huge bust. Comments about him not being mature enough or being able to handle complicated offenses, etc. I'm optimistic that RGIII will do very well in terms of fantasy. 40-50 yards rushing and a handful of rushing TD's can push him from top 15 into the top 10 over less mobile QB's.
I assume you're talking about Elway, but by the time Shanahan coached him he had already developed as a passer.

McNabb = crybaby.

it's one thing to talk about your failure in Washington, it's another to to try and project failure onto another - it's sour grapes, so shut up and look in thee mirror for why you failed.

Last edited by a moderator:
And you wonder why no one wants this cancer on their team.Phoniest person I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. Cameras on ....Donny's all jokes and smiles. Donny, when camera's off, is a miserable #####.
Really? I always though McNabb played the game when the camers were on him. Tried to toe the corporate line and say the right things, but I never got the impression he would have been a downright bad and miserable dude. I think some of the stuff that happened in Philly to him (the fans criticism and the TO mess) soured him, but is he really a jerk as a person?

All this crying McNabb has done the last year will surely remove the 1% chance he had to make it in the HOF one day. Okay, I'm being generous, the .05% chance he had to make it to Canton.

'ImTheScientist said:
'Pipes said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'cstu said:
He's right.
??? Last year they traded down, amassed draft picks, kept many of those draft picks on the active roster, and signed moderately priced younger free agents like Coefield and Bowen. Folks really need to "update their schtick" on the Redskins. This is just parroting the usual criticisms from the Cerrato era but it really doesn't reflect what's happened most recently...

'Fat Nick said:
Donovan McNabb says RGIII won't succeed in Washington.

First, apologies for posting what I think is a poorly written article. The topic is relevant though. I find this article humorous because it's just another case of Donovan trying to make something all about him without appearing to be all about him.

Donovan: Retire. Don't blame the fact that Washington's offense has sucked on the coach and try and claim that you would've somehow been the savior if they used you right...Let's face it, if you were that good, Philly wouldn't have let you go to begin with.
WOW JUST WOW

This portion was pure gold,

The only thing missing from this segment was video of McNabb sharpening his axe. He's taking a Bunyanesque swing at his old coach but, judging by his recent play, he probably came up short and barely hit Shanahan's feet.
:lmao: :lmao:

I'm of the opinion that if RG3 succeeds it wont be because of Shanahan and that if RG3 fails it won't be because of Shanahan.

'cstu said:
'Pipes said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'cstu said:
He's right.
I assume you're talking about Elway, but by the time Shanahan coached him he had already developed as a passer.
Steve Young was pretty mobile too.

'ImTheScientist said:
'Pipes said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'cstu said:
He's right.
Think about why you feel he will succeed in that offense. I disagree with you on all of those points.
So you disagree with the following?- He's the best QB prospect Shanahan has ever had.- He is tremendously accurate, and uniquely accurate with this deep ball.- He seems to have a knack of enjoying the limelight and flourishing in the big moment, instead of literally puking on himself.- His character is one of his strengths.

'Pipes said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'cstu said:
He's right.
I have no clue if RG3 will succeed or not but the comparisons to Newton are just crazy. They are not even remotely the same type of player coming out of college. Not too mention the size difference. Anyone assuming that RG3 will have anywhere close to Cams rookie stats are crazy.

'Pipes said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'cstu said:
He's right.
I have no clue if RG3 will succeed or not but the comparisons to Newton are just crazy. They are not even remotely the same type of player coming out of college. Not too mention the size difference. Anyone assuming that RG3 will have anywhere close to Cams rookie stats are crazy.
Agreed, they are very different players. I don't think RG3 will be running the football anywhere near the amount Cam ran it. RG3 is not small, but Cam is just a beast of a man. That said, from a pure pocket passer standpoint, RG3 is a better prospect entering the draft this year than Cam was last year.

'Pipes said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'cstu said:
He's right.
Agreed, they are very different players. I don't think RG3 will be running the football anywhere near the amount Cam ran it. RG3 is not small, but Cam is just a beast of a man. That said, from a pure pocket passer standpoint, RG3 is a better prospect entering the draft this year than Cam was last year.
Totally agree, however the Panther staff developed him into a phenomenal pocket passer last year.

'ImTheScientist said:
'Pipes said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'cstu said:
He's right.
Think about why you feel he will succeed in that offense. I disagree with you on all of those points.
So you disagree with the following?- He's the best QB prospect Shanahan has ever had.

- He is tremendously accurate, and uniquely accurate with this deep ball.

- He seems to have a knack of enjoying the limelight and flourishing in the big moment, instead of literally puking on himself.

- His character is one of his strengths.
:lmao:

'cstu said:
'Pipes said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'cstu said:
He's right.
Steve Young was pretty mobile too.
Young did have his best years with Shanahan as OC but he was 31. He hasn't had much success developing young QB's but he has done well with veteran ones. It will be interesting to see how RG3's career plays out.

I do not think RG3 will fail. But I do think the Redskins will continue to stink and Shanny will be gone soon enough. McNabb is a weird dude, but both Shanahans have been nothing but fail since they got to Washington. This RG3 trade/pick is a last ditch swing for the fences.

I would say Cutler progressed quite well under Shanahan and his "terrible system". The football people I respect the knowledge of (not the mouth pieces) on NFL radio and ESPN all indicate RGIII style fits perfectly with the Shanahan system - lots of roll out/boot legs which appear to be a strength of RGIII.

It is just McNabb being McNabb. Whether you agreed with him at the time or not, look back at the carnage this guy has left with different people throughout his career. And as always, it is someone else's fault for any lack of success by McNabb. It is never any short comings of McNabbs.

'Pipes said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'cstu said:
He's right.
This is my point about Cam. Up until Cam started lighting it up, most felt like the PAnthers took him because they had to and were saddled with a guy that was a project. Many thought he would be a huge bust. I think that RGIII has more positive press than Cam did coming out last year. The Auburn scandal thing had a lot to do with that, but the guy was thought to be a bust for being raw, or unintelligent, or character problems or whatever. I'm not saying that RGIII is going to throw a couple 400 yard games as a rookie and set the rushing TD mark for a QB (beating Cam's record), but that doesn't mean he's going to bust because he's going to play for Mike Shannahan or a bad team or a team with a bad O-Line, or whatever. The team could go 1-15 and that doesn't make the guy a bust. He's got a lot of skills and he's going to get every opportunity to use them.

I agree with CSTU and I'm the Scientist.

People used to refer to Shanahan as some type of genius but, minus one HOF and arguable top 10 QB to ever play in the history of the league, and Shanahan teams have looked lost and listless and haven't accomplished anything.

On the other hand, Donovan McNabb, who several here are calling a failure, is a 6 time pro-bowler, made the Eagles relevant after a decade of mediocrity, went to the playoffs 7 times and has a winning record in the playoffs (look it up and take a look for yourself how many NFL teams have winning playoff records...you might be surprised). How many playoff games have the Eagles won since McNabb left? His level of "fail" exceeds about 85% of the players in the league.

For RG III, I believe there has to be a beeter organizational vision and coaching both for him to have real success. I don't get that vibe from the Skins.

Users who are viewing this thread