What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would Love Some Draft Day Insight (A Year Later) (1 Viewer)

Banemorth

Footballguy
Good Evening FBG'ers!

I highly respect your football knowledge and I was hoping you could share a little insight with a guy trying to make the big step into IDP. I've got a startup draft that is going to begin tomorrow and I've never seen a league with such tackle heavy scoring. My question is what do you think is a good draft strategy and how early is TOO early to draft a defensive player? I've dappled in standard IDP leagues but this scoring setup kind of changes everything. With two defensive players in the top 10 scoring last year I could totally see taking one of them in the second round?

Here's the league: http://football33.myfantasyleague.com/2012/options?L=71406&O=08

I like to think I know a lot about FF but I'm not too proud to not ask for help when I need it.

Appreciate your time guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
After looking at the scoring for your league, I think a lot of the typical rules you normally hear go out the window:

1. Wait on a QB. I would definitely try to grab one of the top 3 QBs in your league. The fall off from the top guy to the 10th average scoring QB is more than 10 points.

2. Load up on WR and RB early. If you can get one of the top 5 RBs and top 3 WRs, go for it... but I don't think you need to be reaching for those positions early. The scores even out pretty quickly once you get past that top tier or two at those positions.

3. Wait on IDP. I wouldn't be afraid to be one of the first guys to draft IDP in this league, especially at the DT and DE positions. The scoring so heavily favors the top guys at these positions that I would make them a priority.

My strategy after a brief perusal of your league would be to try to get one of the top 2 players at QB, maybe WR, TE, DT and DE, and go from there. I don't mean to use your first 4 picks on those positions, but I can see taking a QB in the 1st round and a TE in the 2nd or 3rd. If you pick at the turn, you might even be able to get one of the top 2 WR there. I'm guessing mere convention will keep others in your league from even thinking about IDP until the 5th or 6th round... and even then LBs usually go first in IDP leagues. All that being said, you never know what will happen, especially in a league like this, with unusual scoring settings. It looks like the commissioner did a good job evening out most of the positions, so if you can get a top 2 player at even 2 or 3 of the positions I mentioned earlier, I think you'll have a good start to a really good team.

I'm interested to see how this turns out. Please post an update after your draft.

Will do! For what it's worth I'm Cruz Missile and am drafting at the 1.05. That is my FAVORITE position by far. I'll land Rice, McCoy, Foster, Calvin or Rodgers. I really appreciate the response and I was pretty much thinking along the exact same lines. Of course it's all predicated on how the other owners draft.

Will do! For what it's worth I'm Cruz Missile and am drafting at the 1.05. That is my FAVORITE position by far. I'll land Rice, McCoy, Foster, Calvin or Rodgers. I really appreciate the response and I was pretty much thinking along the exact same lines. Of course it's all predicated on how the other owners draft.
Good luck!

Just saw this thread.Wish id have gotten on earlier.

Not trying to knock you, only trying to help you out, but their were a bunch of guys you should have taken at DE before Campbell. Id try to grab a 4-3 DE stud before thier gone.

I see Allen just went, so theres Suggs, Cole, Tuck, Super Mario.

Good luck, to bad AJ Green didnt slip a few more spots, he'd of been a steal at 2.8.

I thought about all of those guys. I went with Campbell because he has been in the top 5 in points the last two years and always seems to be healthy and was the youngest of the bunch. The next guy I'm really hoping to grab is Ahtyba Rubin a DT.

I was thinking Suh... if he produces again like he did in 2010 he'd be a steal here. Sheard is on my short list though. You like him over Watt, Suh and Avril? (Three guys I'm considering with my next two picks.)

Time for some offense?
Yup going to grab some WR's now. The great thing about this is you only HAVE to start 1QB, 1RB, 1TE, 2WR. So my QB is Eli, I have Ray Rice and Helu at RB and Hernandez at TE. I'll grab a couple WR's now and I really think I'll have an incredibly strong team.

Time for some offense?
Yup going to grab some WR's now. The great thing about this is you only HAVE to start 1QB, 1RB, 1TE, 2WR. So my QB is Eli, I have Ray Rice and Helu at RB and Hernandez at TE. I'll grab a couple WR's now and I really think I'll have an incredibly strong team.
Looks like there are 2 flex RB/WR/TE dont forget about that

Yup I've been keeping the flex options in mind. Grabbed a third DE to flex in since they're so favored by the scoring system. Helu is another flex.

Not that anybody cares but for those that helped here thanks. I ended up winning the whole thing. :thumbup:

I've learned a hell of a lot in the last year I'll tell you that much.

Not that anybody cares but for those that helped here thanks. I ended up winning the whole thing. :thumbup: I've learned a hell of a lot in the last year I'll tell you that much.
Congrats!It's nice to see a fellow FBGer grab a title.
Actually grabbed two! I ended up joining NINE (yes nine) dynasty leagues last year. Missed the playoffs in two and won two. Was the #1 seed in another and was one and done. :yucky: Thanks! :thumbup:

Not that anybody cares but for those that helped here thanks. I ended up winning the whole thing. :thumbup: I've learned a hell of a lot in the last year I'll tell you that much.
Congrats!It's nice to see a fellow FBGer grab a title.
Actually grabbed two! I ended up joining NINE (yes nine) dynasty leagues last year. Missed the playoffs in two and won two. Was the #1 seed in another and was one and done. :yucky: Thanks! :thumbup:
Sounds like a good year to me. Obviously the goal is nine titles, but we have to be realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread