Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

squistion

Did Santorum almost use the "N" word?

163 posts in this topic

We know, we know the candidtate Barak Obama what he was like. The anti-war government ______...America was a source for division around the world.

Fill in the blank.
"Negativity" certainly fits.
Absolutely...and is exactly what I thought he might've been leaning towards saying...but then he stumbles and recovers. But in his recovery he doesn't bother to say negativity or anything to it's effect? Why was that word so charged that he couldn't just say it when he stumbled?

I just finally saw this. I don't know that he even really says "nig". Was he reading from a teleprompter? It seems like he just stumbled or lost his place briefly? And I hate Santorum with a passion and am voting Obama.

We know, we know the candidtate Barak Obama what he was like. The anti-war government ______...America was a source for division around the world.

Fill in the blank.
"Negativity" certainly fits.
Absolutely...and is exactly what I thought he might've been leaning towards saying...but then he stumbles and recovers. But in his recovery he doesn't bother to say negativity or anything to it's effect? Why was that word so charged that he couldn't just say it when he stumbled?
no matter what he was trying to say, i think clearly he stumbled, and the result of that stumble was nig...and he no matter who he is he is going to know that is a bad stumblei do not think the n-word is part of his daily vocabulary. I have not seen anything that makes me think it is, thus i don't think that was where he was going at all.i can disagree with name near everything a man stands for and still not assume he drops the n-bomb simply because we disagree

When I heard it the first time, I thought...come on...no way he was really going to say that.But then after thinking about it...what the hell was he trying to say? Who cares...could've been all kinds of things instead of the slur.However...if it was something else...then go ahead and say it. Stammer a moment and then go ahead and say it or something to it's effect if you weren't comfortable with the word you were going to use...but his stumble and recovery was madness and made no sense to where he was going. He was obviously flustered with what he almost said and so I'm left thinking it was the slur he almost said.Regardless...he's just another patsy put up by the GOP to die at the alter. This party has lost it's damned mind. And I honestly cannot stand the Democratic party...I'm just calling it like I see it.

:goodposting: The linguistics cues indicate that he was anxious and maybe even embarrassed about what he had just said. Listen closely to the tape, the stuttering and pauses can be caused by the increased cognitive load.

Part of the reason I initially thought it was unlikely that he was going to say the n-word is that I wasn't familiar with the phrase "government (n-word)." Turns out it's not so novel. I did a google search for the phrase and a zillion hits turned up. Most were about Santorum's gaffe. But even a search with Santorum excluded turned up a few hundred hits.

A poster on the straight dope forum catalogued a few pre-Santorum uses:

"Government n****r" was the term used for "welfare queen" before the word "n****r" became unacceptable in polite company.

Citation: I'm old enough to remember it.

We don't have to take your word for it, either. There are plenty of instances of the use of the slur before the current Presidential campaign, in both the "welfare queen" sense and the "house ######" sense: i.e., meaning either a shiftless recipient of government benefits or a servile lackey of government bureaucracy.

Exhibits include:

- Ted Joans's poem "The Nice Colored Man" from the 1960s ("Uppity ###### Middleclass ###### Government ######" etc. etc.);

- some racist jerk on a news comments page in 2007: "[...] I've seen just one government ###### breeding grounds complex [...]";

- some other racist jerk on a news comments page in 2011: "I never been or plan on being on an airplane...due to the fact i'd probably rage hard and call anyone in TSA a useless government ######";

- a fictional story web-published in 2006:

“If I could be any more worried about our government I don’t know where I would be. They send your black ### over here to help deal with this #### and you proceed to have a Pow-Wow with the damned killers you’re supposed to be investigating! Please boy, please tell me you have an explanation for yourself!?”

Guy’s mind cleared a bit and he looked at the floor. He did not dare meet the glowering stare of the Sheriff. [...]

The Sheriff’s words trailed off menacingly. He stood up and crossed over to Guy. Grabbing him by the arm he yanked him from his seat and dragged him over to the closed door across from the front, through and into a grim room.

In the room were five covered forms on a long table. [...]

“This is what you are here about. You’re here to make sure no more of this happens. ’Cause believe me if anything like this happens again there is gonna be some real bloodshed! And ain’t no napping government ###### gonna be able to stop it!”

- yet another racist jerk commenting on a wheelie-bike video on March 5, 2012: "how about you either ride you bike off road like a civilized ###### instead of makin yourself think your cool or just spend your government ###### checks more wisely and pay a light or water bill hell maybe even the rent who knows";

- and one last (I wish!) racist jerk posting on teh interwebs in 2010: "YES, white liberals and the strong majority of ######s would walk off a ####### bridge if they were told to by a government ######....."

Hmmmm, MT you make some sense with that post. Considering Newt kept calling him the Welfare President or something of that nature, Government ###### begins to fit into what Santorum was doing there.

Part of the reason I initially thought it was unlikely that he was going to say the n-word is that I wasn't familiar with the phrase "government (n-word)." Turns out it's not so novel. I did a google search for the phrase and a zillion hits turned up. Most were about Santorum's gaffe. But even a search with Santorum excluded turned up a few hundred hits.

A poster on the straight dope forum summarized a few pre-Santorum uses:

"Government n****r" was the term used for "welfare queen" before the word "n****r" became unacceptable in polite company.

We don't have to take your word for it, either. There are plenty of instances of the use of the slur before the current Presidential campaign, in both the "welfare queen" sense and the "house ######" sense: i.e., meaning either a shiftless recipient of government benefits or a servile lackey of government bureaucracy.

Exhibits include:

- Ted Joans's poem "The Nice Colored Man" from the 1960s ("Uppity ###### Middleclass ###### Government ######" etc. etc.);

- some racist jerk on a news comments page in 2007: "[...] I've seen just one government ###### breeding grounds complex [...]";

- some other racist jerk on a news comments page in 2011: "I never been or plan on being on an airplane...due to the fact i'd probably rage hard and call anyone in TSA a useless government ######";

“If I could be any more worried about our government I don’t know where I would be. They send your black ### over here to help deal with this #### and you proceed to have a Pow-Wow with the damned killers you’re supposed to be investigating! Please boy, please tell me you have an explanation for yourself!?”

Guy’s mind cleared a bit and he looked at the floor. He did not dare meet the glowering stare of the Sheriff. [...]

The Sheriff’s words trailed off menacingly. He stood up and crossed over to Guy. Grabbing him by the arm he yanked him from his seat and dragged him over to the closed door across from the front, through and into a grim room.

“This is what you are here about. You’re here to make sure no more of this happens. ’Cause believe me if anything like this happens again there is gonna be some real bloodshed! And ain’t no napping government ###### gonna be able to stop it!”

- yet another racist jerk commenting on a wheelie-bike video on March 5, 2012: "how about you either ride you bike off road like a civilized ###### instead of makin yourself think your cool or just spend your government ###### checks more wisely and pay a light or water bill hell maybe even the rent who knows";

- and one last (I wish!) racist jerk posting on teh interwebs in 2010: "YES, white liberals and the strong majority of ######s would walk off a ####### bridge if they were told to by a government ######....."

an you think this is the term sanatorium was going to use there?

Exhibits include:

still, in the context of anti-war, this smakes no sense.

I think he many to to say "negative..." something or other, but it wasn't a cohesive thought/rant, so he stumbled.

Exhibits include:

still, in the context of anti-war, this smakes no sense.
I think it makes sense in that context. Before the election, as a candidate, Obama was anti-war. To quote Santorum, Obama believed "that America was a source of division around the word, that what we were doing was wrong, that we needed to pull out and we needed to pull back." In other words, Obama didn't want to ruffle any feathers. He just wanted America to shut up and do what it was told. To other nations' leaders, Obama was a servile lackey. I think "government (n-word)" fits pretty well there.

I think he many to to say "negative..." something or other, but it wasn't a cohesive thought/rant, so he stumbled.

I don't think "negative" (or "negotiator") makes sense in context. "Government negative"? It's grammatically unsound. It's definitely not a familiar phrase that might start to roll off of someone's tongue as a matter of unconscious habit.

Has Santorum commented on this matter yet? I'd be interested in hearing his explanation if he's offered one.

The fact that not even MSNBC has ran this story tells me there's nothing to see (or hear) here.

I think "government (n-word)" fits pretty well there.

If you truly believe that Santorum intended to say "government n-word", then how do you explain why he stopped himself mid-word? Why would he suddenly stop saying a word that he was fully prepared to say only moments earlier?

If you truly believe that Santorum intended to say "government n-word", then how do you explain why he stopped himself mid-word? Why would he suddenly stop saying a word that he was fully prepared to say only moments earlier?
Because he didn't intend to say it. He forgot himself for a moment and caught himself at the last second.

at least rick perry would have had the grawls to say it to his face.

Since when does negative sound like nigative?

i don't subscribe to the theory that everytime an errant syllable comes out it implies that this was the first syllable in the next word you wanted to sayhad the syllable been ped would we all assume he was calling obama a pedophile?sometimes people get several words or thoughts mixed up

i don't subscribe to the theory that everytime an errant syllable comes out it implies that this was the first syllable in the next word you wanted to sayhad the syllable been ped would we all assume he was calling obama a pedophile?sometimes people get several words or thoughts mixed up
"57 states"

Government pedestrian IMO.

Because he didn't intend to say it. He forgot himself for a moment and caught himself at the last second.
Yes, it was a slip of the tongue.

this

this
Once again I don't disagree but in 2012 "nig" has to be one of the least common syllables to accidentally come out of any non African American's mouth.

this
Once again I don't disagree but in 2012 "nig" has to be one of the least common syllables to accidentally come out of any non African American's mouth.
which is why i think he went all numbtongued afterwards, which made it look even worseimagine if that was in now way his intent, and he heard that syllable escape, he'd be damn near pissing himeslfhello!you can't say that, unless you are speaking of an ancestral hunting ground, and get away with it!

Do people really have that much trouble believing that Rick Santorum might have some racist tendencies?

Do people really have that much trouble believing that Rick Santorum might have some racist tendencies?

i never default to believing anyone uses the n-word out of hand till i am given reason toit is certainly possible he was gonna say it there, but i will give him the benefit of the doubt. IT is far from a sure thing.and again, in no way am i anything close to a santorum supporter, he's a loon. i think it is too easy to assume he goes around using slurs on people different than himself if you don;t like him.

i never default to believing anyone uses the n-word out of hand till i am given reason toit is certainly possible he was gonna say it there, but i will give him the benefit of the doubt. IT is far from a sure thing.and again, in no way am i anything close to a santorum supporter, he's a loon. i think it is too easy to assume he goes around using slurs on people different than himself if you don;t like him.
this

Will be interested to see if Stewart or Colbert riffs on this tonight. I have said before that I think he was going to say something about "negotiating" but also think it looks really bad.

Will be interested to see if Stewart or Colbert riffs on this tonight. I have said before that I think he was going to say something about "negotiating" but also think it looks really bad.

"Fictional Words That Start With Nig- That Santorum Was About To Say".

He was about to make a John Negroponte reference IMO.

Also being overlooked is that the n word is a pretty short word. take out a stop watch and time yourself saying it. pretty quick right? So now, we're supposed to believe that Santorum stopped himself in the middle of a word that takes less than a second to say?

Also being overlooked is that the n word is a pretty short word. take out a stop watch and time yourself saying it. pretty quick right? So now, we're supposed to believe that Santorum stopped himself in the middle of a word that takes less than a second to say?

It depends on whether he is talking out both sides of his mouth or not.-- Or depends on how fast or far he thinks ahead.

The fact that not even MSNBC has ran this story tells me there's nothing to see (or hear) here.

:lmao:

Again, Santorum came out with a hard "NIG" there. Not "neg."

Anti-war government niggle?

Also being overlooked is that the n word is a pretty short word. take out a stop watch and time yourself saying it. pretty quick right?

Okay, I tried this. My best time was just under 0.27 seconds, although it took me about ten tries. My secretary walked in right in the middle and gave me a funny look.

Also being overlooked is that the n word is a pretty short word. take out a stop watch and time yourself saying it. pretty quick right?

Okay, I tried this. My best time was just under 0.27 seconds, although it took me about ten tries. My secretary walked in right in the middle and gave me a funny look.
:lmao: :lmao:

:lmao:

This is a dude that said rape babies were a gift from God. Do we really need to debate words he almost said?

I HATE to hijack this whole amusing thing, but I can understand the logic behind that statement.If all babies are gifts from God. . . And rape babies are, well, babies. . .Doesn't it follow that rape babies are gifts from God?

This is a dude that said rape babies were a gift from God. Do we really need to debate words he almost said?

I HATE to hijack this whole amusing thing, but I can understand the logic behind that statement.If all babies are gifts from God. . . And rape babies are, well, babies. . .Doesn't it follow that rape babies are gifts from God?
And just because it's a gift doesn't mean you want it. Surely you've tried to return that ugly Xmas sweater your Aunt Irma got you last year.