What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

krsone21 2012 PDSL Commentary (1 Viewer)

krsone21

Footballguy
Here is the draft order:

1. Norseman

2. Teamramrod

3. krsone21

4. fiddles

5. Pasquino

6. gamma1210

7. Bloom

8. menobrown

9. Atomic Punk

10. Shadowmaster

11. Valance

12. Sinrman

13. renesauz

14. Steeldillo

15. hitnrun

16. bro1ncos

The clock will officially begin on Monday morning at 8:00am ET. However, Norseman is free to make his 1st pick at anytime.

Just a reminder that the clock is 4 hours during the week and 8 hours on the weekend, unless of course you have timed out at some point.

The following are the rules set by BassNBrew for the PDSL this year, including the explanation of the proxy rule:

4 hour clock, 8 am EDT to midnite EDT

Reverts to 8 hours on weekends. More specically doubles on weekends. For instance if someone misses a weekday pick their clock would be reduced to 2 hours but would expand back to 4 hr on the weekends.

Regarding straddle clocks...

Friday to Saturday: If someone goes on the clock between 8:01 PM EDT and 12 midnite, their clock would resume with the balance of the 4 hours begining at 8 am.

Sunday to Monday: If someone goes on the clock between 8:01 PM EDT and 12 midnite, they would inherit a 4 hour clock starting at 8 am.

One rule change/clarification for this event only. I'm installing a proxy pick rule. Best way I can explain this is to give an example.

Draft is at 18.5 midday Wednesday. BnB drafts at 18.7 and now has a one hour clock after being late on two picks. BSS drafts at 18.8 and has a full 4 hr clock. BnB pms a list of three valid players to BSS and annouces in the draft thread that he has proxied his picks to BSS. After the 18.6 pick is made, BSS goes on the clock at 18.8 and BnB's time is skipped. Three things can now happened.

1. BSS shows up within 4 hours and makes BnB's pick as well as his.

2. BnB shows up within BSS's 4 hour window and can make his pick. BSS's 4 hour window remains the same.

3. Neither shows up during BSS's 4 hour window. BSS's future clock is reduced in half. BnB's future clock remains the same. BnB can draft a make up pick from the available players (if the players on his list are gone too bad). BSS can make a make up pick but has the responsibility to check BnB's proxy for BnB's first.

You can only proxy to the drafter after you (or the one after them if they have already proxied) but are welcome to leave lists with anyone (you will go on the draft clock at your pick). If you decide to proxy, it's your responsibility to forward any proxy picks that have been sent to you already. It's also your responsibility not to proxy to someone who has already proxied their pick and won't be back.

Hopefully this make sense. With the shortened clock I can see instances where people know they won't be around and would like to cover themselves as well as not hold up the draft.

Good luck to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent PM's to all involved in the draft so that way Monday doesn't sneak up on them, especially with the shortened 4 hour clock during the weekdays.

Took McCoy at Pick 4. Was considering Calvin, Shady or Rodgers. Each one drives a different path for the next several rounds, so just went BPA and hoping for a stud PPR RB featured once again this year.

Took Chris Johnson at 1.7 which I'm guessing is about 5-10 spots before he went off in the WSL's and maybe that many spots before he'll go off in the other PDSL's. With Adrian Petersons injury and what's going on with Forte and the Bears I just see an already small amount every down type backs dwindling to epic record lows and I feel like procuring one is a huge advantage. Just have to hope Titans don't spend a premium pick on a complement.

Of course the way most fantasy leagues seem to be won these days is the team holding the RB who wins the battle of attrition and becomes the feature back is what more often than not seems to lead fantasy teams to championships.

This to me has become the biggest team building decision in fantasy drafts. Either go for what you view as a RB with a consistently decent amount of weekly touches even if it means overdrafting them due to scarcity or drafting BAP and hoping out of the group of RBBC guys you fill your team with that one or more emerges as a dependable producer.

Took Chris Johnson at 1.7 which I'm guessing is about 5-10 spots before he went off in the WSL's and maybe that many spots before he'll go off in the other PDSL's. With Adrian Petersons injury and what's going on with Forte and the Bears I just see an already small amount every down type backs dwindling to epic record lows and I feel like procuring one is a huge advantage. Just have to hope Titans don't spend a premium pick on a complement.Of course the way most fantasy leagues seem to be won these days is the team holding the RB who wins the battle of attrition and becomes the feature back is what more often than not seems to lead fantasy teams to championships. This to me has become the biggest team building decision in fantasy drafts. Either go for what you view as a RB with a consistently decent amount of weekly touches even if it means overdrafting them due to scarcity or drafting BAP and hoping out of the group of RBBC guys you fill your team with that one or more emerges as a dependable producer.
Remember the good old days when 14 out of the first 16 picks in the first round use to be RB's. lol

I was actually hoping Chris Johnson would fall to me when all this started. I will be happy with MJD falling this far. He should still get the bulk of carries and with hopefully improved QB play then his numbers can grow back too.

I was actually hoping Chris Johnson would fall to me when all this started. I will be happy with MJD falling this far. He should still get the bulk of carries and with hopefully improved QB play then his numbers can grow back too.
In hindsight, i should have taken MJD instead of Stafford. I went with Stafford with the hope the Matthews would be there for me at 2.04. That led to me taking Lynch considerably ahead of his WSL ADP because he seemed to be the safest feature back left.

Wanted to go TE there, but couldn't resist getting ADP in the mid 2nd. I'm of the opinion he will be back much sooner than people expect him to.

I went with Phillip Rivers a lot earlier than I think he would have went, but was fairly certain he wasn't making it back to me in 30+ picks. I was fairly certain that if I didn't get a starting quality QB that I would be stuck taking a QB in the bottom half of the league. I can try and help other positions with depth later, but there are only so many quality QB.

While some seem to be down on Rivers since he lost his best receiver, but I think Rivers thrives without VJ. He plays better when he is spreading the ball around to the open guy and not focusing on forcing the ball to a specific guy.

1.04 Shady - Solid, safe pick to start. RB1 with great PPR value.

2.13 - Lots of directions I could go, decided to go with TE over QB or WR. Skipped QB because I have 3 options and just wanted one to come back to me (another QB still out there I have in this tier). That worked as I got Vick at 3.04.

Some might question why I'd go VD over Gates or AHernandez. Gates' injury history is a concern, as is their possible want to get Ryan Mathews as a feature back and take more TDs. (Mostly was injury aversion why I went Davis over Gates). Hernandez is TE2 to a very hot TE1 last year, and NE is adding weapons at other key spots too. With Davis' recent admission that he was really just coming up to speed in the offense in SF, Alex Smith liking him as a target and also questions about WR1, I felt Davis was a solid pick there. It was tough to pass on WR values but I think I can manage that position later.

Jp strange u mention injury aversion then draft Vick
This is true, but all the QBs I have at this tier have injury history except Eli.For some reason I'm more accepting of injury risk at QB1 than at TE1. Maybe its because I see a big dropoff to the next tier of QBs on a PPG basis. I'd rather have 12 games of Vick at 20-25 a game and then roll with a QB2 than to have to deal with a TE1 who is lost for several games. Plus I think if Gates is going to miss time it'd likely be in the 2nd half of the year, which would be a killer in a Survivor draft in the final weeks of competition.Also I think you need high ceiling QBs to compete with teams that have guys like Brees, Rodgers and Brady.

I have a feeling I am going to hate drafting between Jeff and Bloom.

I thought about Gore in the 2nd, glad he made it back around. Jennings would have been my pick over AJ, but I didn't want to start the draft with bye week issues.

Very happy that Julio lasted to my pick. Roddy will continue pull the double teams & Julio will be the benefactor.

was hard to pass up julio, wallace and jordy beginning of 3rd rd

feel like its easier to catch up on WRs than RBs in the mid and late rounds

So I figured I better get my #1's at this turn.

Brandon Pettigrew - Top 6 TE last year and 9th off the board this year. I expect him to be a stud TE as long as Stafford is healthy and will still be very productive security blanket in case the backup QB has to play a few games.

Kenny Britt - Was on pace to be a solid #1 WR before he was injured last year. I have less reservation about his injury since it occurred so early in the season last year. I like him with Locker and/or Hasselback.

QB: Peyton Manning

RB: Ryan Matthews

WR: Andre Johnson

TE: Jermaine Gresham

Not bad, Manning should be good for 30 maybe, 27 at least. I'll take that at the end of the 3rd.

QB: Peyton ManningRB: Ryan MatthewsWR: Andre JohnsonTE: Jermaine GreshamNot bad, Manning should be good for 30 maybe, 27 at least. I'll take that at the end of the 3rd.
sports radio in DEN is already talking about how the week 3 preseason game sucks for DEN...vs SF....and about how do they really want to throw him out there a ton in the "dress rehersal" game against such a tough D and make him a target for hits, etc.....the quandry is that he needs reps with these new guys, etc...new team, off for a year....he'll look great in "practice" cause nobody will be near him.....the talk about protecting him is almost starting to sound like that thought in our head when our favorite pair of shoes is getting worn out in that one little spot on our shoelace and we want don't tie them quite as tight as we usually do for awhile because it could break at any moment and I haven't been to the drugstore yet to get a new pair of shoelaces....the neck maybe be the one part of the body that I would be concerned about more than any other when it comes to trying to protect.....

QB: Peyton ManningRB: Ryan MatthewsWR: Andre JohnsonTE: Jermaine GreshamNot bad, Manning should be good for 30 maybe, 27 at least. I'll take that at the end of the 3rd.
sports radio in DEN is already talking about how the week 3 preseason game sucks for DEN...vs SF....and about how do they really want to throw him out there a ton in the "dress rehersal" game against such a tough D and make him a target for hits, etc.....the quandry is that he needs reps with these new guys, etc...new team, off for a year....he'll look great in "practice" cause nobody will be near him.....the talk about protecting him is almost starting to sound like that thought in our head when our favorite pair of shoes is getting worn out in that one little spot on our shoelace and we want don't tie them quite as tight as we usually do for awhile because it could break at any moment and I haven't been to the drugstore yet to get a new pair of shoelaces....the neck maybe be the one part of the body that I would be concerned about more than any other when it comes to trying to protect.....
We are talking about Peyton Manning, do not forget that, and every QB is one blindside sack away from a season ender. Do not over think it, we was taken at pick 48, well worth the risk for one of the greatest ever.

I was torn with my last pick between Fred Jackson, Miles Austin, and Marques Colston. The injuries were factors for all three, but I decided to go

with another great receiving back for a change of pace. I think RB is not nearly as deep as WR this year.

Harvin feels like good value in the 4th
I think the 4th round area was just sweet spot for WR's which I think relative to other positions clearly had the most talent left. Britt, Harvin, Austin, Dez, D Thomas, Colston, Vincent Jackson, Steve Smith are all guys who have legit shots and to be top 5 type guys at their position.

We are talking about Peyton Manning, do not forget that, and every QB is one blindside sack away from a season ender. Do not over think it, we was taken at pick 48, well worth the risk for one of the greatest ever.
haven't forgot anything...wasn't "overthinking" anything....was just giving you a vibe...all QB's are a bindside hit away but most will admit that watching PM take one might make you sit up in your seat a little more than others........right...?....maybe...?there's a reason "one of the greatest ever" made it to 48...good luck...

3.04 QB - Michael Vick

1.04 RB - Shady McCoy

4.13 WR - Marques Colston

5.04 WR - Stevie Johnson

2.13 TE - Vernon Davis

I like it so far. On the downside, Vick injury history and two Eagles, but the plus is I get virtually all rushing TDs for the Eagles.

Really like the value at WR at the 4/5 turn. I think Colston and Stevie Johnson should both be good for 70-75 catches, 1,000 yards and 7-8 TDs each.

3.04 QB - Michael Vick

1.04 RB - Shady McCoy

5.04 WR - Stevie Johnson

2.13 TE - Vernon Davis

I like it so far. On the downside, Vick injury history and two Eagles, but the plus is I get virtually all rushing TDs for the Eagles.

Really like the value at WR at the 4/5 turn. I think Colston and Stevie Johnson should both be good for 70-75 catches, 1,000 yards and 7-8 TDs each.
I agree very nice WR value in the 4th and 5th round thus far.

QB - Phillip Rivers

RB - MJD

Mark Ingram

WR - Kenny Britt

Mike Williams (TBB)

TE - Brandon Pettigrew

I feel pretty good about my team so far. I am lacking a little at WR, but knew I would be when I went RB/QB with my first 2 picks. I really like Britt bouncing back, and hopefully Williams becomes a force again with VJax taking the primary coverage. MJD and Ingram should be a nice pair. Ingram's role should increase as he gets more comfortable in the offense.

We will see what the 7th round brings.

Well this has gone a little different than expected, but I can roll with it.

1.6 Jimmy Graham - after the 3 stud RBs, I think the two stud TEs present the best value on the board. In a 2 PPR TE system, the spread b/w Gronk/Graham and the rest is magnified, and they are already first round considerations in regular PPR leagues. I went with Gronk over Graham in the WSL (i think 1.8?), just diversifying here. they're very very close in this format.

2.11 Darren Sproles - Don't love spending my first two picks on the same offense, but Sproles represented too much RB value here. Sproles was a top 5 PPR RB last year, and even a dropoff of 20 receptions and the 160 or so receiving yards that went with them would still put Sproles top 10.

3.6 Jordy Nelson - easy call with the big play profile and talk that he'll get an even bigger role. My main metric when ranking the top 20-25 WR or so in this format is top 5 weeks, which also explains my next two WR picks

4.11 Vincent Jackson - As has been discussed, the WR value was pretty amazing in the 4th-5th.

5.6 DeSean Jackson - more top 5 weeks. I figure with 3 of the top big plays receivers and some firewall receivers later that are good for 6-10 pts most weeks, I can assure myself of top 3-5 WR scoring even though I didn't take one until the 3rd...

At 5.13 & 6.04, i knew i was going RB/TE, but didn't think it mattered which i took 1st. WRONG!

Took the TE 1st, & then watched all 4 of the RBs I was targeting get snapped up in the next 6 picks. Doh!

Ended up taking Redman 2 rounds ahead of his WSl ADP, so i hope he becomes the main RB in Pitt while Mendy sits out the entire yr recovering.

3.04 QB - Michael Vick

1.04 RB - Shady McCoy

5.04 WR - Stevie Johnson

2.13 TE - Vernon Davis

6.13 QB - Joe Flacco7.04 WR - Robert Meachem

Wanted to sure up the QB position and knew that they'd be flying off the board again, so very happy to see Joe Flacco still there on the board. Solid performer and never has missed a start in four years (kiss of death).

Would've loved Torrey Smith both from a value and as a "big upside pair" with getting both TDs from the connection, but wasn't meant to be. Glad to settle with a big WR target in Meachem with the Chargers as my WR3.

To Bloom from the draft thread. QBs are just too important in these leagues to not set yourself up for a top score each week. Rodgers will have a down game or two, and isn't a stranger to the injury report. Luck was good value compared to the other recent QBs taken, and with this run going on, I didn't want a bottom 3 backup and if other drafters still need a QB2, I'm hoping value from other positions slides.

To Bloom from the draft thread. QBs are just too important in these leagues to not set yourself up for a top score each week. Rodgers will have a down game or two, and isn't a stranger to the injury report. Luck was good value compared to the other recent QBs taken, and with this run going on, I didn't want a bottom 3 backup and if other drafters still need a QB2, I'm hoping value from other positions slides.
totally. when I saw all 4 of the other teams between my picks take QBs, i knew you could snipe him. makes a lot of sense and Im not questioning it, just figured that when I had 5 good candidates for QB2 after Freeman, at least one would fall to me. Fitzpatrick isn't a bad consolation really, his numbers before his rib injury were very good.

QB- RG3

RB- Chris Johnson

Darren Mcfadden

WR- Mike Wallace

Demaryius Thomas

Jeremy Maclin

TE- Jared Cook

So here's my thoughts so far.

First two rounds went pretty much as I hoped/expected. Considered Gronkowski but more on why I passed on him later. Was happy to get two 3 down backs who can catch and as with all players I've drafted so far have top 5/10 upside at their positions. Pretty much knew CJ would be there me in the first if I wanted him and than I hoped Mathews or Mcfadden would make it back to me in the second. Relative to other players that were left I believe if Mcfadden was off the board I'd have picked Demarco Murray who went over a full round later.

Third round marked my first let down. Felt from previous drafts I could get Aaron Hernandez in the third which is part of why I passed on Gronk in first. Prefer Gronk but feel Hernandez is better value at 3.7 but he went well before than. After that I went WR-WR-WR. I rarely do that many WR's this early but just felt the value was at those positions during at the time and I think it's a terrific trio so far.

When I picked Griffin had a hard time deciding between Robert Griffin, Palmer or Jared Cook. Took a look at teams that would draft before me and saw all but one had a QB and I think all but one had a TE. After some thought including pairing Cook with Chris Johnson with possible bye week issues I narrowed it down to the two QB's. I prefer RG3 but do like Palmer and felt RG3 had a better chance to make it back to me in the 7th so picking Palmer might give me a better shot at getting them both. Finally just did not want to risk losing a QB I feel has unlimited fantasy potential. I've never felt this good about a rookie fantasy QB ever so in the end I did not want to lose it. Palmer never it back to me in the 7th and I'll never know if RG3 would have but at the rate QB's were taken it seems doubtful.

I considered Jake Locker in the 7th and knew with the way QB's were picked he had not chance to making it back to me but instead decided to finally draft a TE and took Jared Cook.

I like the team but I think every player offers big upside and I've got 3 down pass catching RB's. Concerns lie with overall health but mainly RB's staying healthy and at this point a pretty strong reliance on a rookie QB.

I've never quite felt comfortable with where Qb2s go in these leagues. Taking one now felt like an over-reaction, but I know if I waited much longer, I might not have anyone remotely safe to pick.

Just wanted to say I appreciate the comments as we go. That's almost more valuable than the draft itself.

Definitely looking forward to discussions on players to come as I'm sure different perspectives on each of them exist throughout the group.

I've never quite felt comfortable with where Qb2s go in these leagues. Taking one now felt like an over-reaction, but I know if I waited much longer, I might not have anyone remotely safe to pick.
QB1s too. Trying to get over my qb stubbornness.

Just wanted to say I appreciate the comments as we go. That's almost more valuable than the draft itself.Definitely looking forward to discussions on players to come as I'm sure different perspectives on each of them exist throughout the group.
I agree, but I think it is mroe productive when others give input on other teams, not there own.We know owners like their players, its why we/they drafted them. I'm not saying that to prevent people from talking about their teams, but to encourage people to talk about other owners teams.

Just wanted to say I appreciate the comments as we go. That's almost more valuable than the draft itself.Definitely looking forward to discussions on players to come as I'm sure different perspectives on each of them exist throughout the group.
I agree, but I think it is mroe productive when others give input on other teams, not there own.We know owners like their players, its why we/they drafted them. I'm not saying that to prevent people from talking about their teams, but to encourage people to talk about other owners teams.
That tends to happen at or near the end of the draft, FWIW.Hopefully we continue to stay engaged and comment accordingly.

Depending on what they can pull together at RB, I like what Fiddles & Shadow Master have done so far.

Least favorite team other than mine is menobrown. Just don't trust a rookie QB as my #1, McFadden's injury still scares me & gambling that D. Thomas can stay healthy, get on the same page as Peyton & produce for whole season.

Of course, I'm probably completely wrong on all 3.

Through 7 rounds, I like what Gammma and krsone have going on. I think they are the teams with the most balance of talent so far. I like the renesauz team too.

I like what Pasquino and Bloom have going on, but it will be interesting to see how they make up for only taking one RB early.

Not a big fan of what Fiddles and sinman have going on.

Users who are viewing this thread