What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official FFA Lotto Club *** (4 Viewers)

Due to the late start on the period notice, we missed getting tickets in time for tonight’s draw.    We’ll get them for starting on Friday.  Sorry for the miss.

Due to the late start on the period notice, we missed getting tickets in time for tonight’s draw.    We’ll get them for starting on Friday.  Sorry for the miss.
Based on past experiences, I'm going out on a limb and say that last night wasn't our night anyway. lol.

Stupid question...and IDK if there is an easy way to do this....but I read that playing random/quick draw numbers each time actually reduces your chance at winning, given that, long term you are playing random numbers against random numbers each time. If we had a set series of numbers each week, then we have a better chance of the second set of random numbers (the lotto pull) to match our always constant set. I dont even care what numbers they are, we can just pick the last set we had.

But IDK if there is an easy way to do this w/o filling out a ton of boxes each week. Just a thought.....as always we appreciate Kee doing this. 

Based on past experiences, I'm going out on a limb and say that last night wasn't our night anyway. lol.

Stupid question...and IDK if there is an easy way to do this....but I read that playing random/quick draw numbers each time actually reduces your chance at winning, given that, long term you are playing random numbers against random numbers each time. If we had a set series of numbers each week, then we have a better chance of the second set of random numbers (the lotto pull) to match our always constant set. I dont even care what numbers they are, we can just pick the last set we had.

But IDK if there is an easy way to do this w/o filling out a ton of boxes each week. Just a thought.....as always we appreciate Kee doing this. 
FWIW - I always get the same numbers for the tickets I buy for myself. I just reuse the slip when I buy. It's not a big deal.

However, our lotto group may not always be getting the same number of picks each period because the membership can fluctuate. Not an impossible thing,  just a consideration. 

FWIW - I always get the same numbers for the tickets I buy for myself. I just reuse the slip when I buy. It's not a big deal.

However, our lotto group may not always be getting the same number of picks each period because the membership can fluctuate. Not an impossible thing,  just a consideration. 
This would be totally up to @brun as he's the one who has to deal with the purchase each period.  But, like he said, he could just keep the tickets and re-use them each time.  It would be nice knowing our numbers as we watch the draws.

The challenge would be picking the numbers.  We could do it randomly the first time and then re-use, or we could somehow choose them as a group.  Maybe each member picks 3 numbers and we add them?  Or I could just do a random number generator thingy.

I'm game for anything, as our track record for the way we are doing it isn't so great.

FWIW... If we are going to change things... we might want to consider switching to the PowerBall (instead of MegaMillions).  The odds are slightly better.

This would be totally up to @brun as he's the one who has to deal with the purchase each period.  But, like he said, he could just keep the tickets and re-use them each time.  It would be nice knowing our numbers as we watch the draws.

The challenge would be picking the numbers.  We could do it randomly the first time and then re-use, or we could somehow choose them as a group.  Maybe each member picks 3 numbers and we add them?  Or I could just do a random number generator thingy.

I'm game for anything, as our track record for the way we are doing it isn't so great.
Personally, I don't care that much what the numbers are. Nor do I care which contest. I'm content to follow the crowd. Maybe others feel strongly one way or another?

I guess we would need to commit to a minimum number of picks each period (typically we get 14-15 each period). So, 14 would probably be safe. If we're short a member one period we could replace that contribution from slush.

I wouldn't mind going back to a 20 draw period, but that may be more commitment than some like.

I'm assuming any change would happen in the next period. So I made the regular MM buy this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do you have a link for that?

I'm definitely no stat whiz but I think the probability of winning is the same if you keep using one set of numbers versus random ones each time.  

FWIW... If we are going to change things... we might want to consider switching to the PowerBall (instead of MegaMillions).  The odds are slightly better.
I may be alone here but I like the idea of doing both PB and MM.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a link for that?

I'm definitely no stat whiz but I think the probability of winning is the same if you keep using one set of numbers versus random ones each time.  
I'm no mathematician either...not by a long shot. I did a quick search and it seems my thoughts are wrong (shocking). But really at best its a push, the odds for both are slim to begin with. 

https://www.quora.com/Are-you-more-likely-to-win-the-lottery-if-you-play-the-same-numbers-or-if-you-choose-new-ones-each-time

I guess my simple logic looks at it as trying to get 2 floating objects to hit each other. If 1 was stationary, you have a better chance of the other one contacting the static one vs the 2 just wildly bouncing...but again...what do I know lol 

either is fine for me, it was a thought. And if we went this way, I dont have a preference on numbers. Any combos are fine....I think trying to pick the winning numbers is harder then just having a collection of numbers and getting lucky...but then again...see above. 

I think one of the reasons for doing MM rather than PB was the $1 v $2 per entry. Now that MM is also $2, it doesn't matter.

PB jackpot odds are slightly better than MM. I assume that also means MM jackpots are more likely to grow bigger and less likely to be shared. That doesn't make a difference to me. It may to others (assuming my logic is valid).

I don't know how much the odds change with quick picks v numbers that are carried over from period to period. I suspect that the difference is small enough to not really matter during our lifetimes.

Of course, if we win MM during the current draw period, none of this matters much.

I can't imagine the odds change. Each drawing is an isolated event completely detached from those came before it and those that will come after it. It seems like the gambler's fallacy where you think, "well, the roulette wheel has been red 5 times in a row, we're due for black!" But that's not true - each spin is in isolated event.

Is there a way to research previous winning numbers?  If so, for our static numbers, we could use the combinations that have won the most times so far (theory being that those combinations are more likely to come up again) OR we could use combinations that have never come up (theory being that those are "due") OR use half of the frequent winners and half of the never winners.

Or we could just stay with what we're doing, as we are "due".

Is there a way to research previous winning numbers?  If so, for our static numbers, we could use the combinations that have won the most times so far (theory being that those combinations are more likely to come up again) OR we could use combinations that have never come up (theory being that those are "due") OR use half of the frequent winners and half of the never winners.

There are a bunch of sites like this that provide that information:

https://powerball-megamillions.com/

This is the last week of the current period.  Any more thoughts on moving to the PowerBall and/or pre-selecting our numbers (instead of easy-pick)?

I'm good with whatever with a lean toward Powerball.

Preselecting numbers

I don't believe it makes enough of a difference in our chances to worry about.

Would we commit to a constant number of tix each period? We generally have enough slush to cover a shortfall if needed.

Now I just hand over an index card with instructions. Once I've filled out the betting slip. Pretty much the same.

Switch to Powerball

This would be my preference if we bought in so that the 1st draw was on Saturday. I would feel like I have a bigger window to buy, scan and send scan to Kee. However, if we're buying the same numbers each time. I suppose I can just buy whenever we're due and just let the money catch up.

Unless/until we get significant opposition, I'm going to make the decision to move to PowerBall starting next period (begins next week) 

As for picking our own numbers... I'm fine with it if someone wants to work on supplying them.  I would say 10 of them to start.  We generally purchase 14-15 so we could do 10 pre-chosen and the rest easy pick.

There are a bunch of sites like this that provide that information:

https://powerball-megamillions.com/
Has anyone looked into this to pick numbers based on most/least occurring results? 

From the website that Keerock pointed out, here are the top 10 numbers in 2019 for Powerball:

Most Picked Powerball numbers in 2019 

We could make up maybe 10 combinations from these top ten most frequently picked Powerball numbers.  

In any case, I approve of the move to Powerball.  And whatever system of picking the numbers that Keerock decides is fine with me.

Maybe Powerball will implement new payouts:  First prize = minimum $40 million  Second prize = 28' truckload of toilet paper 

From the website that Keerock pointed out, here are the top 10 numbers in 2019 for Powerball:

Most Picked Powerball numbers in 2019 

We could make up maybe 10 combinations from these top ten most frequently picked Powerball numbers.  

In any case, I approve of the move to Powerball.  And whatever system of picking the numbers that Keerock decides is fine with me.

Maybe Powerball will implement new payouts:  First prize = minimum $40 million  Second prize = 28' truckload of toilet paper 
Wouldn't we also want to include the top ten least frequently picked?  Those numbers would be due, right?  We could do 5 tickets with least picked and 5 of most picked?  Or mix them up?  Just a thought...

Haven't studied this but IMO -

Since each draw is an independent event, trying to determine hot or due number combinations probably isn't worth spending a lot of energy on, though you're all welcome to do so. Sometimes the fun factor makes it worth it. Slot machine players seem to like this a lot.

However, since many people use birthdays as part of their number selection method, having some numbers above 31 probably make it less likely that a winning number will be shared. I'm pretty confident this is true.

Users who are viewing this thread