What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colts seriously considering RG3 (1 Viewer)

Buck Stop

Footballguy
ESPN’s Michael Wilbon dropped a little bomb this morning on Tony Kornheiser’s radio show. The news? According to his inside sources, Wilbon said the Indianapolis Colts are still in serious consideration to take Baylor’s QB Robert Griffin III over the consensus number one, Stanford QB Andrew Luck.

Wilborn- “By the way, I will tell you this. It’s not like I’m following this closely, but I had the occasion over the weekend to talk to a couple of people who have intimate knowledge of what the Colts are thinking. And you and I have talked very briefly on the show about are they still considering RGIII? Tony, I’m told they are…They have stats, they have analysis, they have information that says to them it’s Luck who is faster to leave the pocket and not be as good in the pocket. And RGIII is better in the pocket, he’s a better pocket passer, better arm. And that they are seriously still considering RGIII.”

As a Skins fan :( Not that getting Luck is a bad consolation prize, but I really want RG3.

obvioulsy just because he turned down an invitation to work out doesn't mean they still can't take him....

Peter King MMQB Excerpt:

I think it's crazy talk that Indianapolis won't draft Andrew Luck, and my viewpoint has nothing to do with Robert Griffin III's ability. It's just that Jim Irsay loves Luck, has talked openly of drafting him, and will have the final say on which player Indianapolis picks. Irsay has his heart set on Luck. I'd be very surprised if Griffin has passed Luck in the eyes of anyone who counts in Indianapolis.

per the National Football Post:

While the Indianapolis Colts work out Andrew Luck today, the oppotunity to work out his chief rival, Robert Griffin III, won't happen.

According to owner Jim Irsay's Twitter feed, Griffin's representatives at CAA, declined the chance to have the Heisman Trophy winner work out for the Colts in a private session.

This leads to even more speculation that Luck will indeed be the Colts' choice to succeed Peyton Manning in Indianapolis. Given that CAA represented Manning and surely had a working knowledge of what the Colts' plans were as they released him and began their rebuilding process, perhaps Griffin's people felt it wasn't worth the time to send him there to work out if the Colts had already made up their mind that Luck was their guy. Or perhaps Griffin and his camp feel more comfortable with Mike Shanahan and the Washington Redskins, who traded up to have the second pick.

In any event, Luck and Griffin will forever be linked and compared for years to come as the top two picks in this year's draft.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Irsay-RG3-declined-private-workout.html

Who would have that that in 2012, RG3 in Washington, would be in a much better situation than Luck in Indy?

Money is no issue now with rookies. It's pretty much set in stone what they get...oh they can discuss details but the actual money is not hard to gauge. Luck is gonna get paid 1st or 2nd, in fact if Indy lowballed him he would be thankful and go to Snyder and get more money.

Will not surprise me if the money is almost identical between the two contracts.

This whole leverage thing was always blown out of proportion.

Like the guys above me stated, it's not going to be the mega deal's of yesteryear... I think people forget that.

I for one, honestly believe the Colts take Luck... But is it REALLY that far fetched to think theyre strongly considering Griffin as well?

Mastermind Cosell sounds like he'd take Griffin #1.

Anyways, this whole talk has eff all to do with leverage.

'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
All a cover IMO to force the money down on Luck.
:goodposting: My first thought as well. You know they're in negotiations with Luck right now. A little pressure on him never hurt.
But how much room is there really with the new rookie scale?
I see your point, but what about length or other incentives? There has to be some wiggle room for both sides as its not a generic contract for all 1s, 2s, etc. is it? I know things are different with the new CBA, but it seems hokie with a national guy like Wilbon floating rumors at a time you know teams are negotiating with the top picks. If nothing else they're getting a feel for what its going to take.I could be way off though :banned:

'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
All a cover IMO to force the money down on Luck.
:goodposting: My first thought as well. You know they're in negotiations with Luck right now. A little pressure on him never hurt.
But how much room is there really with the new rookie scale?
I see your point, but what about length or other incentives? There has to be some wiggle room for both sides as its not a generic contract for all 1s, 2s, etc. is it? I know things are different with the new CBA, but it seems hokie with a national guy like Wilbon floating rumors at a time you know teams are negotiating with the top picks. If nothing else they're getting a feel for what its going to take.I could be way off though :banned:
I can't find a definite source but last year a formula was accidentally leaked.I think for the most part it's here is how much the rookie pool is. Here is how much the #1 can make maximum. I honestly don't know about incentives etc, so there may be some room to work :shrug:

if this is even remotely true - which i doubt it is - then it's because the new coaching staff wants it. irsay knows that he wants and what has worked in the past. he's thinking "it'll be just like peyton..." and pagano wants the type of player that he wants to suit his scheme. irsay vs pagano? i'll take irsay even if pagano's point is well taken.

ESPN's Michael Wilbon dropped a little bomb this morning on Tony Kornheiser's radio show. The news? According to his inside sources, Wilbon said the Indianapolis Colts are still in serious consideration to take Baylor's QB Robert Griffin III over the consensus number one, Stanford QB Andrew Luck.

Wilborn- "By the way, I will tell you this. It's not like I'm following this closely, but I had the occasion over the weekend to talk to a couple of people who have intimate knowledge of what the Colts are thinking. And you and I have talked very briefly on the show about are they still considering RGIII? Tony, I'm told they are…They have stats, they have analysis, they have information that says to them it's Luck who is faster to leave the pocket and not be as good in the pocket. And RGIII is better in the pocket, he's a better pocket passer, better arm. And that they are seriously still considering RGIII."

As a Skins fan :( Not that getting Luck is a bad consolation prize, but I really want RG3.
Rob Lowe and who else?

To be fair to Wilbon, he is not the one creating this drama. Irsay is with statement like it is still "up in the air" etc

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like RG3 put a stop to that.

LINK

He turned down an invitation by the Colts to have a private workout.
not just the colts. any nfl team
If that's the case, then why is Irsay crying about it on twitter? Griffin didn't make this an issue. Irsay did.
"A Luck private workout 2day..we want 2b as thorough n disciplined n process of #1 pick..we wanted 2do private with RG3,but his agent said no" - IrsayHow is he crying? He's trying to say that they were doing their homework on both, but couldn't get a private workout with RG3. So much Irsay hate going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The conspiracy theorist in me can't help but wonder if the Redskins acquiring the #2 pick so early was Shanahan's cunning attempt to make the Colts curious about RG3. If that trade went down on draft day it'd probably be too late to influence the Colts (not saying it is or isn't influencing them now). But it's not crazy to think that Irsay said hmmmmmm and watched some extra RG3 film after that trade went down.

The conspiracy theorist in me can't help but wonder if the Redskins acquiring the #2 pick so early was Shanahan's cunning attempt to make the Colts curious about RG3. If that trade went down on draft day it'd probably be too late to influence the Colts (not saying it is or isn't influencing them now). But it's not crazy to think that Irsay said hmmmmmm and watched some extra RG3 film after that trade went down.
As a Redskin fan I'm estatic with either. I prefer Griffin but having Luck as a "consilation" prize is a great position to be in.

obvioulsy just because he turned down an invitation to work out doesn't mean they still can't take him....
They can but taking a QB that turned down an invitation to workout is pretty sketchy.
I totally agree. What player in their mind would not want to be drafted as the 1st overall pick?? I mean if Colts are interested and if a private workout has a chance to propel him ahead of Luck, why not attend private workouts? Unless he is cool with playing for the Redskins and not the Colts who are a complete wreck. Also, I do not think private workouts are scripted. Colts can ask him do anything. Pro day workouts are very scripted, i think. Could be wrong

so what if Luck were to sayyyyy........get in a car accident tonight.....would RG3 go work out for the Colts then...?

LOL at Wilbon "breaking" this story. These rumors have been going on for a while - that the Colts' scouts/personnel dept. has been trying to tell Irsay that he should consider RG3 as well as Luck for the first pick.

I've said this before, but from a psychological perspective when you make such a monumental sacrifice that Irsay has in cutting Peyton, with the sole intention of replacing him with another specific individual (Luck), it's nearly impossible to get that individual (Irsay) to change his mind on the matter.

Who would have that that in 2012, RG3 in Washington, would be in a much better situation than Luck in Indy?
Why is it much better?
Washington has more tools for a rookie QB than Indy does.
not really
Starting offensive skill positions in Washington:WR: Garcon, Moss, Morgan, Armstrong

TE: Davis, Cooley

RB: Helu, Royster

For 2012 I think Washington looks a lot better. Going forward Indy is in a better position to build around a young QB since Washington has no 1st round pick until 2015

Indy:

WR: Wayne, Avery, Collie

TE: Eldridge, Mahaffey

RB: Brown, Carter

Users who are viewing this thread