What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Claiborne scores a FOUR on the Wonderlic! (1 Viewer)

As long as he can cover a WR well, who cares? He has a learning disability & will be a millionaire pretty soon here. Color me jealous.

While I think the score is irrelevant it does make you wonder how he kept his grades up in college.

Well, Mike Florio is reporting that he scored a 4. We don't know that he actually did. But if he did, it's probably because of his learning disability that impacts his ability to read. My guess is that it's some sort of dyslexia that makes it very difficult for him to read and take tests.

If it's both true that he scored a 4 and that he has a learning disability, Claiborne should sue the NFL for breaching their duty and legal obligation to keep those scores secret. Even more so if they do not provide alternate testing means to satisfy the Americans with Disabilities Act.

I've seen a few interviews with the kid and he doesn't really seem that dumb to me. He's not a rocket scientist, but he doesn't seem borderline mentally disabled either. And his football intelligence on the field seems outstanding from everything I've seen.

Frankly, I hope that GMs really are dumb enough to drop him down their boards so that the Bill can take him at #10.

They have been talking about this on the NFL radio today. They are all outraged saying he has a learning disability, and this is reprehensible that this information became public. Maybe he has a learning disability, or maybe he is stupid. Being stupid isn't a crime, but it does effect the value of a player. His ability to learn schemes, and process information on the go does effect his ability to succeed as an NFL player. No one on the radio seemed to consider the possibility that this guy is just plain dumb. It doesn't mean he shouldn't be drafted, but it is certainly a factor that should go in to your evaluation. Would you feel comfortable knowing that you spent millions of dollars to sign your first round draft pick and then find out he is dumb as a fencepost?

Last edited by a moderator:
if he has a documented disability, you would think that there would be accomadations made when it came time to take the test so that him taking the test would basically have him on the same playing field as those without accomodations....unless this is a test where they cannot get the accomodations they usually do (help from others, extra time, etc)...

They have been talking about this on the NFL radio today. They are all outraged saying he has a learning disability, and this is reprehensible that this information became public. Maybe he has a learning disability, or maybe he is stupid. Being stupid isn't a crime, but it does effect the value of a player. His ability to learn schemes, and process information on the go does effect his ability to succeed as an NFL player. No one on the radio seemed to consider the possibility that this guy is just plain dumb. It doesn't mean he shouldn't be drafted, but it is certainly a factor that should go in to your evaluation. Would you feel comfortable knowing that you spent millions of dollars to sign your first round draft pick and then find out he is dumb as a fencepost?
Is the Wonderlic comprised of football questions or math/reading questions?

last point is great - it may speak to his work ethic. Remember Pac Man Jones when he was drafted in 2005?? When asked how difficult it would be to pick up the playbook, he responded "all I need is a week". It's not all about covering. Nowadays all teams have VERY diverse and complex defensive packages. It does take some intelligence to process all that.

Its the NFL and it is a business. They could not care less if he is "stupid" or not, PLENTY of game tape says otherwise imo. If he can cover a WR and do it well, he is fine.

Dan Patrick said it best this morning when asking when agents will ask their players to STOP taking this test. Some do not run the 40, RG3 wont do private work outs for teams, some dont throw at the combine.... When will someone refuse to take the test? Esp if he has a disability on a timed multiple choice test? Agent should have just said no.

Taking this here from another thread. What does it becoming public have to do with him getting drafted? The teams have always gotten the results of the test; this isn't an NFL entrance exam where a low score disqualifies you.

can they even refuse to take it? Wouldnt that be like a person refusing to get a medical evaluation??
No, it would be someone refusing to take a test that has nothing to do with the occupation they are pursuing. Would you give a math test to someone interviewing for a job as a journalist?

Taking this here from another thread. What does it becoming public have to do with him getting drafted? The teams have always gotten the results of the test; this isn't an NFL entrance exam where a low score disqualifies you.
Great article here about that.Mainly:

What I suspect happened is a club drafting after 5 leaked the test score to try and scare off teams in the top 5 from drafting Claiborne. The clubs have known the results of these scores for weeks. If they had any questions about a player's ability to learn they have had plenty of time to do their research to feel if they are comfortable with drafting Claiborne. The team leaking the score is hoping that the public backlash for drafting a player with such a low score will scare them off. Unfortunately, this is dirty pool but it often happens this time of year in the NFL. Just remember, if you start to hear a lot of negative things about some highly rated players in the next few weeks, it’s because a team who drafts later in the round wants the player to drop so they can have an opportunity to select him.

I don't understand this statement. It seems like it's pretty clear that, at least among some in the media and college ranks, it's well known that Claiborne has a learning disability. So why WOULD they stop to consider whether he's "just dumb" when they already know that's not the case? I'm sure many of those same people have sat down with him and talked with him and can talk from personal experience about what they thought his level of intelligence is.

So far the ONLY person that I have seen even dare to TRY to imply that Claiborne doesn't have a learning disability is Mike Florio, the same guy that published the leak without ever contacting Claiborne or his agent for comment before running the story. Now that he looks like a schmuck for ridiculing a guy with a learning disability and carrying dirty water for some GM or other agent, Mike will do anything to try to squirm out of responsibility.

Its the NFL and it is a business. They could not care less if he is "stupid" or not, PLENTY of game tape says otherwise imo. If he can cover a WR and do it well, he is fine.
Players who can't pick up schemes and don't know their responsibilities will fail. This isn't college, even the worst QB in the NFL will abuse a confused corner. Not judging the player in question by any means, just the notion that all you have to do is cover.

I suppose what I was referring to is the suggestion that players refuse to take the test. Dan Patrick suggested it and it was suggested on NFL radio too. I don't imagine any team uses the Wonderlic score as the primary consideration in choosing when to draft a player, but I also don't think it should be completely discounted either. In that Football Post article they say teams are aware of Claiborne's difficulties and know what steps he has taken in college to overcome his disability. That would indicate that his low score has a lot more to do with his disability than it does with his lack of intelligence. I'd say that the worst thing about this is it is humiliating for the player. Until you understand the context of this whole situation the immediate reaction is that he is just dumb. That appears to be unfair, at least if everything in the Football Post article is true.

are peope with documented disabilities allowed to have accomodations on this test like they would while in school...?

ie: more time, questions and answers read to them, either by a person or robot voice, video etc....

if they aren't and he got a 4.....thats one thing

if they are and he still got a 4....thats another

Mainly:

What I suspect happened is a club drafting after 5 leaked the test score to try and scare off teams in the top 5 from drafting Claiborne. The clubs have known the results of these scores for weeks.
:confused: Why would they need to leak it? Don't the top 4 get it, too?
That is a very good point. When teams put out rumors that a players injury is more serious than originally thought, or that there is a character issue, then that is information that all teams didn't have. But in this case the wonderlic score is information that all teams should have. So it is hard to see what purpose this serves, other than to humiliate this particular player.

can they even refuse to take it? Wouldnt that be like a person refusing to get a medical evaluation??
No, it would be someone refusing to take a test that has nothing to do with the occupation they are pursuing. Would you give a math test to someone interviewing for a job as a journalist?
No, but I'd give an intelligence test to them, since that affects journalists...just like it affects football players. :lmao: for those who think basic logic and reading have nothing to do with being a good football player. At the very least, there's a slightly positive correlation between higher scores and being able to understand a 500+ page playbook.

Mainly:

What I suspect happened is a club drafting after 5 leaked the test score to try and scare off teams in the top 5 from drafting Claiborne. The clubs have known the results of these scores for weeks.
You took only part of the quote out of context...read down a little further..."The team leaking the score is hoping that the public backlash for drafting a player with such a low score will scare them off."

No, but I'd give an intelligence test to them, since that affects journalists...just like it affects football players. :lmao: for those who think basic logic and reading have nothing to do with being a good football player. At the very least, there's a slightly positive correlation between higher scores and being able to understand a 500+ page playbook.
And regardless of how it effects him on the field/practice/study... is this the type of person to have more complication off the field that can end up being a problem for the team? And I'm not talking about character, but simply problem solving and critical thinking.

Mainly:

You took only part of the quote out of context...read down a little further..."The team leaking the score is hoping that the public backlash for drafting a player with such a low score will scare them off."
Public backlash? That's an absurd excuse regarding what he espoused as the reason for the leak. Fail on top of fail.

Mainly:

Public backlash? That's an absurd excuse regarding what he espoused as the reason for the leak. Fail on top of fail.
Whatever, not saying I agree with it...tell that to the guy who wrote it. He quoted part of the post out of context and didn't include the part that answered his question, so I provided it.

Mainly:

Whatever, not saying I agree with it...tell that to the guy who wrote it. He quoted part of the post out of context and didn't include the part that answered his question, so I provided it.
Fair enough. Though I'd rather just discuss it with the people here at FBG.

:yawn: Wonderlic scores are meaningless. Not sure why we have to go through this every year around draft time.

And regardless of how it effects him on the field/practice/study... is this the type of person to have more complication off the field that can end up being a problem for the team? And I'm not talking about character, but simply problem solving and critical thinking.
What kind of complications off the field from a reading learning disability? And how would that negatively affect his play on the field?

I don't totally disregard the Wonderlic, but about the only time I pay attention to it is when a QB prospect scores low. It's all about football aptitude.

I know a guy who isn't book smart. Has some trouble reading & such. He likely wouldn't do well on the Wonderlic at all. However, the dude is a mechanical genius. Can fix anything. Even complicated machinery. That's called mechanical aptitude.

Claiborne probably has some sort of reading disorder or simply may not be very good at it. It doesn't mean his football aptitude will be hindered, though.

What kind of complications off the field from a reading learning disability? And how would that negatively affect his play on the field?
Well if he isn't on the field... think Kellen Winslow Jr.

I hear there are reports of a video of him licking the test sheets then looking up and exclaiming "isn't it wonderful!" Multiple times.

I don't understand this statement. It seems like it's pretty clear that, at least among some in the media and college ranks, it's well known that Claiborne has a learning disability. So why WOULD they stop to consider whether he's "just dumb" when they already know that's not the case? I'm sure many of those same people have sat down with him and talked with him and can talk from personal experience about what they thought his level of intelligence is.

So far the ONLY person that I have seen even dare to TRY to imply that Claiborne doesn't have a learning disability is Mike Florio, the same guy that published the leak without ever contacting Claiborne or his agent for comment before running the story. Now that he looks like a schmuck for ridiculing a guy with a learning disability and carrying dirty water for some GM or other agent, Mike will do anything to try to squirm out of responsibility.
At the end of the day, how is having a learning disability different from being dumb? While its certainly possible that having a legitimate physical disability like dyslexia might negatively impact one's ability to score exceptionally well on a test, most people who have spent 3 years in college have had some tutoring to overcome these kinds of challenges. Learning disability or not, a 4 is a REALLY bad score, my 9 year-old daughter can do better than that - seriously.

I've taken the Wonderlic several times and have administered it several hundred times more as a component of our corporate interview process. I've NEVER seen a score that low, ever. Our BASELINE for employment consideration was a score of 22. This was to get a job as an $8/hour HOSTESS at an upscale casual RESTAURANT.

The test is not that hard. Four is a really bad score, almost unimaginably bad. Dude is either dumb, blind or doesn't care. None of which make for a good football player.

Not hating, just saying...

The word "dumb" isn't nice. Learning disability sounds much better.

At least he isn't vertically challenged.

Blaine Gabbert: 42Dan Marino: 15
Gabbert has only played one year though he likely is not in Marino's class, few are.Marino was great, though, perhaps, not a genius.Neither one scored a 4...I'm not suggesting that the Wonderlic is the end-all, be-all predictor of future success in the NFL.I am suggesting that a 4 is so incredibly bad that is almost has to be on purpose, or simply a lie. It's almost impossible for an adult human to score that poorly.It really is staggering to me.

An interesting response by Jimmy Johnson to a wonderlic question on Twitter:

“@vanhalenroth: you ever not draft a player because of wonderlic ?" 90% of my misses were because I took a chance on marginal intelligence -- Jimmy Johnson (@JimmyJohnson)

At the end of the day, how is having a learning disability different from being dumb? While its certainly possible that having a legitimate physical disability like dyslexia might negatively impact one's ability to score exceptionally well on a test, most people who have spent 3 years in college have had some tutoring to overcome these kinds of challenges. Learning disability or not, a 4 is a REALLY bad score, my 9 year-old daughter can do better than that - seriously.

I've taken the Wonderlic several times and have administered it several hundred times more as a component of our corporate interview process. I've NEVER seen a score that low, ever. Our BASELINE for employment consideration was a score of 22. This was to get a job as an $8/hour HOSTESS at an upscale casual RESTAURANT.

The test is not that hard. Four is a really bad score, almost unimaginably bad. Dude is either dumb, blind or doesn't care. None of which make for a good football player.

Not hating, just saying...
I will take you for your word that you are not hating. But, it's rare for someone to be so open in his hostility toward someone else in expressing how little he knows about the condition that person is experiencing. It raises questions about your intelligence, range of empathy, or both.Nonetheless, to take the essence of your post and distinguish reading ability/disability from intelligence...imagine you sitting down at the test and taking the Wonderlic in Greek or Farsi. How would you do? That is what a lot of folks with Reading Disorders experience. So, yes, your 9 year old daughter likely would score higher than a 4. Because presumably she can read. (Let's hope she uses this skill in a way her father never has and learns about learning disorders so that she does not grow up to be as ignorant as he is on the topic)

I can't speak for Claiborne and refute the idea that he, in particular, is dumb or not, has a low IQ or not, is unmotivated or not. I don't know. But, i leave open the possibility that he looked at that test in English the same way you or i would have in Russian and bombed it. Moreover, i think it's important to clear up the general misconception that people who cannot read are dumb. There are a lot of folks whose intelligence as measured by standardized tests falls within the superior range and higher (IQ >120) but cannot read or, at least have severe deficits in some aspect of reading. This is a neurologically based disorder affecting language areas (among others) in the brain that failed during early development.

The challenge for you is to do a little reading on the topic and come back here and see how you might answer your own post with your newfound knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread