What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The real "Old Ballcoach" will return to Skins (1 Viewer)

On Mike and the Maddog in New York, Mike Francesa said that Snyder "fell in a sewer and came out with a gold watch."Hard to argue!Cowboys/Redskins with Parcells/Gibbs adds an unbelievable element to an already intense rivalry.

In response to smlevin, I'm not a skins fan, but as a person who's lived in the DC area for a long time, I think I can answer this somewhat safely.Yes, Gibbs biggest change will be in the playbook and schemes. And I suspect he'll keep much of the existing talent. Gibbs could create one of the most proliferic passing games in the NFL with Ramsey, Coles and Gardner. The O-line has good players, just needs good coaching. The potential is there for RB. Rock could very well be a bruising Riggins type. Betts, Morton and Canidate all have potential. I think most people are just picking on the RB's as that is one of the biggest unproven spots on the current offensive roster. Personally, I see them going out and getting a blocking TE first before messing with the RB's. For defense, the dbacks are secure if they resign Bailey (and I gotta think this news will make him want to re-sign even more) Great LB's. D-Line is probably where they need the most help and will spend most of their draft picks on.I think most people will agree that over the past several years, the talent hasn't been the problem with the skins, it's been the coaching.

Got a question, skins fans - - am I the only one who thinks the team has plenty of RBs alreadyon the roster and that Gibbs will concentrate on overhauling the schemes instead of the personnel?There is a good OL in place, four decent quality backs in Trung, Ladell, Rock and Chad Morton, and good defensive speed. If anything, they need to upgrade the DL and the secondary before looknig for a big RB.I believe Ladell Betts can be an everydown back - and has sufficient size - and Rock is already a big bruising G/L type back. If that OL is taught "normal" blocking schemes, and if Gibbs brings back the pulling guard Hogs, I believe the personnel in place is sufficient to carry the running game. Don't forget - it's been two years of Spurrier mishandling the RBs and mishandling the OL blocking schemes. Maybe the team simply needs more traditional football coaching to succeed, rather than an upgrade in personnel.I also believe the three wides, and the QB of Ramsey, are fully capable of instituting whatever offense Gibbs puts in - Ramsey has proved a fast study, and with fewer sacks, and a half second more to study the field, I think he could be fantasy fenomenal next year.They've traded away most of their early picks anyway, so it seems like using the existing personnel makes the most sense. Thoughts?
I would tend to agree that RB won't be as high a priority as many people are currently speculating. DL is the glaring weakness on the team, so that will be priority #1. I mentioned earlier that Gibbs will need at least 2 solid blocking TEs, and since there are currently 0 on the roster that has to be the next area of focus.Not that I would be shocked to see them make a play for a big back, but I'd expect them to address the other needs first.

Skins were looking to hire him from the beginning. They were going to make a run at him for DC even if Spurrier came back.
I don't think there was any preexisting relationship there. Williams spent his entire NFL career in Tennessee before taking over the Bills. He was their QC guy, special teams coach, then he moved up the defensive coaching ranks until he became Fisher's defensive coordinator.A solid hire though.Cheers

The Redskins won't spend their first round pick on a RB, not with the deficiencies at the defensive line. I'd be shocked if the Skins selected anyone other than Ohio State DE Will Smith or Oklahoma DT Tommie Harris. Both would be ideal. Arkansas' Cedric Cobbs in the 2nd round might be of interest, since he fits the bill as a power runner, assuming he declares.

I would tend to agree that RB won't be as high a priority as many people are currently speculating. DL is the glaring weakness on the team, so that will be priority #1. I mentioned earlier that Gibbs will need at least 2 solid blocking TEs, and since there are currently 0 on the roster that has to be the next area of focus.Not that I would be shocked to see them make a play for a big back, but I'd expect them to address the other needs first.
I want to add one more thing.One of the big diffrerences between Joe Gibbs and you average NFL coach is that the average NFL coach will come to a team with a game plan already mapped out and will just keep chaning players until he gets the right players for his game plan. Gibbs does the opposite and changes his game plan to take advantage of the stregnths and weaknesses of his players. Any coach can be successful if they got all the right players for their game plan. But a true coach can be successful no matter who his players are.

Any coach can be successful if they got all the right players for their game plan. But a true coach can be successful no matter who his players are.
Vince Lombardi. Don Shula. Joe Gibbs. Bill Bellichik. There's the quintessential progression of coaches that change their schemes to fit the best players on the roster. Bill does it between halves of games.Just ask your most recent coach - he could have had his pick of players on NFL teams (within reason) and still would not have made that scheme work - his ability to coach only one way of playing (or lack of flexibility to alter his scheme to fit his players) handcuffed that team the last two years instead of developed it.

:football: Football is slowly returning to the NFL :football: I bet Parcells is thinking to himself, "Finally, some competiton!!!"I see many awesome Cowboys/'Skins matchups next year!
No competition? Parcells should worry about dethroning Andy Reid and the Eagles before he gets all happy about facing Gibbs.

I want to add one more thing.One of the big diffrerences between Joe Gibbs and you average NFL coach is that the average NFL coach will come to a team with a game plan already mapped out and will just keep chaning players until he gets the right players for his game plan. Gibbs does the opposite and changes his game plan to take advantage of the stregnths and weaknesses of his players. Any coach can be successful if they got all the right players for their game plan. But a true coach can be successful no matter who his players are.
AMEN Brother!!!!! I am so sick of coaches, if they can even be called that, that blame losing on not having the right guys for their system. What happened to tailoring the system to fit the team... ala the great ones :football:

:football: Football is slowly returning to the NFL :football: I bet Parcells is thinking to himself, "Finally, some competiton!!!"I see many awesome Cowboys/'Skins matchups next year!
No competition? Parcells should worry about dethroning Andy Reid and the Eagles before he gets all happy about facing Gibbs.
Andy Reid better win his Super Bowl this year because he won't have another chance for a long time.

This is a very pleasant surprise for us Redskins fans! Amazing fact about Gibbs- his teams appeared in teh playoffs 8 times, and his overall record is 16-5, with only one first round loss. In other words, 7 out of 8 times in the playoffs his teams won at least one game.

QUOTE (DCThunder @ Jan 7 2004, 01:45 PM)

QUOTE (4x champ @ Jan 7 2004, 02:23 PM)

QUOTE (Da Masses @ Jan 7 2004, 01:30 PM) Football is slowly returning to the NFL I bet Parcells is thinking to himself, "Finally, some competiton!!!"I see many awesome Cowboys/'Skins matchups next year!
Andy Reid better win his Super Bowl this year because he won't have another chance for a long time.
:thumbup: Yeah, that's a train wreck waiting to happen. Don't see that happening, but there's already been a thread on it.

From ESPN:

He has been adamant over the years about not wanting to coach again, although he has retained NFL connections. He is a minority owner of the Atlanta Falcons.
I looked through the entire thread to see if this was discussed and didn't see anything. When i first read it I thought to myself is it possible for a part owner of one team to be a coach of another? Maybe I just read it wrong or don't understand what it said so any help here would be nice.TIA

:football:   Football is slowly returning to the NFL  :football: I bet Parcells is thinking to himself, "Finally, some competiton!!!"I see many awesome Cowboys/'Skins matchups next year!
Do you guys take drugs?Gibbs hasn't been involved in football for 11 years, at least Vermeil was still involved in some capacity.Vermeils first 2 seasons back were shocking. What makes ANYONE think Gibbs can take 11 years off, be 63 years of age, have deficiencies on either side of the ball and make a run in his first year back?Todays NFL is different to when he left in so many ways. He may need a few years to get in right, do you think Danny Warbucks is patient enough to deal with another season or 2 of losing football. A leopard doesn't change his spots.

Got a question, skins fans - - am I the only one who thinks the team has plenty of RBs alreadyon the roster and that Gibbs will concentrate on overhauling the schemes instead of the personnel?There is a good OL in place, four decent quality backs in Trung, Ladell, Rock and Chad Morton, and good defensive speed. If anything, they need to upgrade the DL and the secondary before looknig for a big RB.I believe Ladell Betts can be an everydown back - and has sufficient size - and Rock is already a big bruising G/L type back. If that OL is taught "normal" blocking schemes, and if Gibbs brings back the pulling guard Hogs, I believe the personnel in place is sufficient to carry the running game. Don't forget - it's been two years of Spurrier mishandling the RBs and mishandling the OL blocking schemes. Maybe the team simply needs more traditional football coaching to succeed, rather than an upgrade in personnel.I also believe the three wides, and the QB of Ramsey, are fully capable of instituting whatever offense Gibbs puts in - Ramsey has proved a fast study, and with fewer sacks, and a half second more to study the field, I think he could be fantasy fenomenal next year.They've traded away most of their early picks anyway, so it seems like using the existing personnel makes the most sense. Thoughts?
seems like most of your questions have been answered, but I'll take a shot too. Clearly D-linie is priority, we need help at both tackle and end. Two interesting notes on that front- new D coordinator Gregg Williams is known to like playing a little 3-4 now and again, something that many Skins fans were calling for this year. Also, a certain UFA by the name of Jevon "freak" Kearse has said publicly that he would love to play for Williams again, bring it on baby, DC is ready for you. I don't think any of the RB's currently on the roster are the long term answer, but replacing them shouldn't be the team's #1 priority and we should live with them for the next season. I didn't understand you point about trading away most of our early picks, are you talking about last year because the Skins have most of thier picks for the coming draft?

From ESPN:

He has been adamant over the years about not wanting to coach again, although he has retained NFL connections. He is a minority owner of the Atlanta Falcons.
I looked through the entire thread to see if this was discussed and didn't see anything. When i first read it I thought to myself is it possible for a part owner of one team to be a coach of another? Maybe I just read it wrong or don't understand what it said so any help here would be nice.TIA
he is selling his ownership in the Falcons.

From ESPN:

he is selling his ownership in the Falcons.
that makes sence. thanks :thumbup:

:football:   Football is slowly returning to the NFL  :football: I bet Parcells is thinking to himself, "Finally, some competiton!!!"I see many awesome Cowboys/'Skins matchups next year!
Do you guys take drugs?Gibbs hasn't been involved in football for 11 years, at least Vermeil was still involved in some capacity.Vermeils first 2 seasons back were shocking. What makes ANYONE think Gibbs can take 11 years off, be 63 years of age, have deficiencies on either side of the ball and make a run in his first year back?Todays NFL is different to when he left in so many ways. He may need a few years to get in right, do you think Danny Warbucks is patient enough to deal with another season or 2 of losing football. A leopard doesn't change his spots.
what changed other than players making more money with less expected of them and instant replay. Gibbs handled his pair share or pre-madonnas. Vermeil was a TV guy, by your template Madden could back to Oakland and set them on fire, that I seriously doubt. The game of football is always the same- block, tackle, run, pass, catch. You may do it faster, harder or with more flash but those 5 things always stay the same. Give me a team that does those 5 things well and they are in the playoffs- like New England (except running, but they do that just well enough) :thumbup:

I don't remember much about Gibbs's style of play. For Fantasy Football purposes, what does this mean for....

1. Patrick Ramsey?

2. Trung, Ladell, Rock?

3. TE - (perhaps Winslow)

4. Washington D?

Is he a power-run guy? Or pass heavy? Or a bit of both? Ball control/short passes? Air it out? Thoughts?

HERD
At the risk of repeating what others have said:Gibbs came to the Redkins after a stint as an assistant coach for Don "Air" Coryell. In his first 5 games, the Skins passed the ball mercilessly, and went 0-5. Gibbs then changed strategy, to do what his players did best ---- run the ball ----- and I believe ended his first season at 8-8.

He adjusts his strategies to suit what his players do well. He adjusts his game strategies well at halftime. He pays meticulous attention to detail, and seldom gets outworked. He also gets more out of average-to-good players than most coaches can; his teams had few stars, and high overall performace.

I hesitate to say what he will do or change with the Skins. The first thing he will do is study what he has, and what they can do well.

Interesting note: Pro Football Weekly thinks this means Cerrato may be on the way out.

Perhaps the only person unhappy with Gibbs’ hire is vice president of player personnel Vinny Cerrato. Even though Gibbs has not coached during the free-agency era, he’s likely to demand at least partial control of the personnel department. If not personally, he’ll request to put his own personnel men in place. Cerrato is without a contract for next season. With Ron Wolf a short jaunt from Redskins Park, overtures to land Wolf in a consultant capacity, at minimum, are likely to be made. Bobby Beathard, who served in that capacity in Atlanta this season, is another personnel veteran Gibbs figures to entertain. Bears pro personnel director Bobby DePaul and Falcons scout Mike Hagen could also land with Gibbs’ staff.
LinkFor us Skins fans, this is staggering. They have done the unthinkable; they have hired a football coach. Who knows? They may even begin to play football again.

I don't remember much about Gibbs's style of play.  For Fantasy Football purposes, what does this mean for....

1. Patrick Ramsey?

2. Trung, Ladell, Rock?

3. TE - (perhaps Winslow)

4. Washington D?

Is he a power-run guy?  Or pass heavy?  Or a bit of both?  Ball control/short passes?  Air it out? Thoughts?

HERD
At the risk of repeating what others have said:Gibbs came to the Redkins after a stint as an assistant coach for Don "Air" Coryell. In his first 5 games, the Skins passed the ball mercilessly, and went 0-5. Gibbs then changed strategy, to do what his players did best ---- run the ball ----- and I believe ended his first season at 8-8.

He adjusts his strategies to suit what his players do well. He adjusts his game strategies well at halftime. He pays meticulous attention to detail, and seldom gets outworked. He also gets more out of average-to-good players than most coaches can; his teams had few stars, and high overall performace.

I hesitate to say what he will do or change with the Skins. The first thing he will do is study what he has, and what they can do well.

Interesting note: Pro Football Weekly thinks this means Cerrato may be on the way out.

Link

For us Skins fans, this is staggering. They have done the unthinkable; they have hired a football coach. Who knows? They may even begin to play football again.
I would love to see Vinny C go, especially if it was because they were bringing in Ron Wolf. That being said, everything I saw today said that Cerrato was staying.

The early reports are that Cerrato's staying but will take a back seat to Gibbs. Vinny will run draft day, for example, but Gibbs will have final say. I don't think Gibbs wants a strong GM in there. Remember that Beathard left because he constantly clashed with Gibbs over personnel decisions. Cerrato in the back seat will suit Gibbs just fine.

The early reports are that Cerrato's staying but will take a back seat to Gibbs. Vinny will run draft day, for example, but Gibbs will have final say. I don't think Gibbs wants a strong GM in there. Remember that Beathard left because he constantly clashed with Gibbs over personnel decisions. Cerrato in the back seat will suit Gibbs just fine.
works for me too :thumbup:

works for me too :thumbup:
This is my speculation: I doubt Gibbs want a lot of GM/personnel duties. But I am sure he wants a strong or final say in personnel. The difference: I doubt Gibbs wants to be responsible for managing the salary cap, negotiating contracts, etc. But he will have a say in who is drafted, who is cut, etc. Also, if there is not instant success, Gibbs will get more than 2 years solely because he is a coaching legend, especially in DC. If Gibbs goes 6-10 and 8-8 (in either order), the fans would run Snyder out of town if he got rid of Gibbs. And we would really enjoy it too!

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but in addition to Williams as Def. Coord., Joe Bugel is back as offensive line coach and Assistant Head Coach -- Offense.
This is awesome and a perfect match. I posted somewhere that Bugel may be part of the mix even though he said earlier this year he is retired. Bugel is an intense and motivating OL coach, a little different from the laid back Gibbs personality.

I'm guessing you're not from around the DC area. Gibbs is a freaking IDOL around here. 11 years after he retired, people still talked about him. He was God's gift to football. There is no way in the world Snyder can fire Gibbs. To do so would be like firing Jesus Christ as your minister. The backlash against Danny for firing Gibbs would be astronomical. A Local Radio show here organized a "shunning" for the Skins/Hawks game. granted only 3000 people missed that game, but if they can pull that off with just general disgust withthe team, just imagine what would happen if all the fans were lividly outraged?Gibbs is also now Team President according to press releases and "will be with the redskins long after he's done coaching." If Gibbs stinks up the joint that badly, he'll step out himself, but there's no way he gets fired.

A Local Radio show here organized a "shunning" for the Skins/Hawks game. granted only 3000 people missed that game, but if they can pull that off with just general disgust withthe team, just imagine what would happen if all the fans were lividly outraged?
Don's protest didn't work all that well, but fans certainly were pissed by the end of the year. I was at the last game and there were so many Eagles fans. That was, by far, the most opposing fans in a Redskins stadium of any game I've ever seen. Since every seat is a season ticket holder, many of those seats were sold by true Redskins fans.As for Gibbs' popularity, I was at the game when they put Gibbs, Monk, and Dexter in the Ring of Fame. Dexter received a good ovation, Monk a larger one, and Gibbs' reception was more than twice that of Monk's. The chants started, "We want Joe. We want Joe." Norv must have loved that, especially since it was in 2000, the season after Norv got them to the playoffs for the first time since Gibbs.

The official Redskins press release...Gibbs Returns: Official Press Release 01/07/2004 HALL OF FAME COACH JOE GIBBS RETURNS AS WASHINGTON REDSKINS HEAD COACH AND TEAM PRESIDENTAshburn, VA -- Daniel M. Snyder, owner of the Washington Redskins, announced today that Hall of Fame Coach Joe Gibbs will return as Head Coach and team president. The most successful coach in Redskins history, Gibbs brings back his relentless work ethic, demanding leadership style, and tradition of excellence and respect that defined his tenure with the team for 12 glorious years. Gibbs, who coached the team from 1981 to 1992, turned the Redskins into an NFL dynasty during his tenure. He led the Redskins to four Super Bowls - winning three titles -- and accumulated a 124-60 record during regular season play and an amazing 16-5 post-season record (.789 win percentage). No Redskins coach in history has enjoyed such success on the playing field. “Joe Gibbs helped define what the Washington Redskins stand for - integrity, hard work, determination, winning and championships,” said Redskins owner Daniel Snyder. “Who better to set our strategy and lead the Redskins back to championship glory.”“The Redskins are very dear to me and my family,” Head Coach Gibbs said. “We’re very excited about this opportunity to return to where we have so many friends and loyalties.”Among NFL coaches, Gibbs holds a special place as well. His 140 wins is the 14th best in NFL history, accomplished in just 12 seasons, six seasons less than his 13 counterparts. His all-time win percentage of .683 remains the best among all NFL coaches with more than 125 wins.The team will hold a press conference at Redskins Park at 5 p.m. on Thursday, January 8th.Gibbs took the helm of the Washington franchise as a rookie head coach in 1981 and turned the Redskins into a winning machine. After just his second season, he led his Redskins team to Super Bowl XVII, beating the Miami Dolphins 27-17. He returned to the Championship game in 1983 and was named NFL Coach of the Year. The Redskins went on to win Super Bowls XXII and XXVI under his watch, building a tradition of excellence that has remained unmatched to this day. In all, he recorded 11 winning seasons in his 12 years, taking the team to the playoffs eight times. In the history of the NFL, only Vince Lombardi and Weeb Ewbank have had better playoff win percentages. Gibbs took his rightful place among other NFL legends in 1996, when he was inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. His leadership skills have not been relegated to just the football playing field. In 1993, he left the Redskins and the NFL at the pinnacle of his career, looking to spend more time with his family and NASCAR race team, established in 1991. He quickly established Joe Gibbs Racing into a force to be reckoned with on the NASCAR circuit, assembling a team that would go on to find similar success to what he achieved in the NFL. In just his second year, Gibbs’ team, with driver Dale Jarrett, won the Daytona 500, the sports premier event. He would go on to recruit drivers Bobby Labonte and Tony Stewart, both who have flourished with Joe Gibbs Racing, taking the NASCAR season-long championship Winston Cup crowns 2000 (Labonte) and 2002 (Stewart).

I'm surprised to read that Len Pasquarelli is down on Gibbs' return. I personally think he's underestimating Gibbs but he brings up a few solid points.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1702628

Gibbs could be in for a bumpy ride

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

As the O.J. Simpson trial demonstrated, once they add the bronze to the statue and spit-polish the bust, it's difficult indeed to get booted out of the Hall of Fame.

Lucky thing for Joe Gibbs.

While a jury acquitted Simpson, there's no way Gibbs isn't guilty of at least dubious judgment, and he'd do well to plead nolo cotendere to charges he has taken leave of his senses. Makes you wonder if Gibbs, 11 seasons removed from the NFL sideline, has inhaled too many fumes while standing behind his fleet of NASCAR entries.

The first reaction upon hearing that Gibbs has accepted the proposal of Redskins owner Dan Snyder was to wonder if the coach had suffered what heretofore will be known as a Britney Spears Moment. The second was to consider that, if he really wanted to coach again so badly, Gibbs could have inherited the Atlanta Falcons, a team in which he was a minority shareholder. The third was, well, to wish Gibbs good luck.

Because he is going to need it in industrial barrel-sized measures.

Make no mistake, just because Gibbs knows more about restrictor plates than he does running backs right now, his pride and work ethic will allow him to play catch up. Still, there will be days when Gibbs might confuse Patrick Ramsey, his quarterback, with a quarter-turn on some wing-nut that controls downforce.

Closing the knowledge void won't be as easy as Tony Stewart trying to make up a lap after having a flawed right front tire blister up on him. The learning curve gap that Gibbs faces could be every bit as treacherous as the third turn at Talladaga. Clearly, the great coach has been able, however, to mentally rationalize away all the negatives.

Then again, once you've been engaged in an undertaking where you huckster off every inch of the product for more sponsor's decals, it's apparently not quite as hard to auction your soul to the devil, as Gibbs has done.

Gibbs retired after the 1992 season, a three-time Super Bowl champion, a man at the top of his profession. That 1992 date is significant because it means that Gibbs never worked under the restraints of a salary cap and never had to deal with free agency as we know it now. It is meaningful, too, because 11 seasons is a lifetime in the NFL, as Gibbs will soon find out, and the players have changed.

Notice, we didn't say the game has changed that much because, as **** Vermeil demonstrated after returning from a 15-season hiatus and Bill Parcells keeps proving in his various reincarnations, the same principles that he taught in his first coaching life still apply. His game-planning and preparation brilliance aside, though, Gibbs will discover that, if he tells LaVar Arrington to not free-lance so much, the results won't be the same as they were with, say, Monte Coleman.

The Redskins are a team who, scouts will tell you, has enough quality personnel. But just because there's a guy named Champ on the roster doesn't mean Washington is going to a Super Bowl anytime soon. And bringing back venerable assistant coach Joe Bugel won't guarantee that the guy who tutored The Hogs can make a silk purse from an offensive line unit that in 2003 had all the movement skills of bumps on logs. Led the past two years by a man who loved to refer to himself as The Ol' Ball Coach, the Redskins are now shepherded by a man who is old, hasn't been a coach in over a decade, and may not fully understand how ball is played in millennium.

And then, of course, there is the matter of ownership. Some credit to Snyder, who began the courtship of Gibbs on New Year's Eve at a tiny airfield in Concord, N.C. When we got an anonymous tip that Redskins One was parked there -- sorry, Dan, it's a private yet and not a Stealth bomber -- team officials responded to the query by insisting the imperial owner was "on business."

Yep, monkey business, with one of The Daniel's minority partners, a buddy of Gibbs for many years, brokering the deal. All the posturing afterwards -- the trip to the West Coast, the interviews with three other candidates, questioning media acquaintances about what the best age is for a head coach -- was little more than diversion. Long before Tuesday, when word began to leak that the Redskins little man was up to something big, we all should have seen the light.

The Daniel, after all, is a product of the Beltway Mentality. He frets far too much about buying success than developing it, obsesses about how he is perceived, covets the lineage of his franchise instead of figuring out a new world way for inventing his own heritage. He surrounds himself with links to the Redskins past, counseling with old school types, instead of trying to uplink to the future.

Build through the draft? Why bother when you can open the coffers and buy a bunch of veterans? Actually hire a coach who can grow with your franchise? C'mon, this is all about a big name guy coaching bigger-name players. Marty Schottenheimer. Steve Spurrier. And now Joe Gibbs.

For years, Gibbs worked under the notoriously meddlesome Jack Kent Cooke, so maybe he thinks he is prepared to have an owner peering over his shoulder. Jack Kent Cooke might soon look like an absentee owner to Gibbs, though, given what awaits him. Good thing for Gibbs he's got a history, after all these years in NASCAR, of working the pits.

People in the business like to refer to Arizona as the elephant burial grounds for head coaching careers. Well, now Gibbs is headed into the Beltway Vortex, and here's hoping he has thought this thing out.

Maybe we'll be wrong about this but, for the heck of it, here's a bet: Three years from now, the guy who accepted the Redskins job as a Hall of Fame member will be viewed as just another ordinary Joe.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd counter Pasquarelli on most of his points. Gibbs has been away from coaching for 11 years, but it's not like he's been in Siberia without a satellite dish. He was an active analyst on CBS a couple of years ago, and has been a consultant for Atlanta. Having a coach with recent head coaching experience like Gregg Williams on his staff will ease whatever learning curve there is. And I don't think the guy who developed the ACE offense, the H-back, the Trips and stacked WR formations, and pioneered motion sets, is exactly trembling in his boots at dealing with the Cover 2 and zone blitz schemes.Mostly, I think Pasquarelli is missing on how close the skins might already be to a contending team. 6 losses by less than a TD are the difference between 5-11 and 11-5.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but in addition to Williams as Def. Coord., Joe Bugel is back as offensive line coach and Assistant Head Coach -- Offense.
There are unconfirmed reports that Tim Krumrie and Jerry Gray (both from the Bills) are being signed by the Skins as well.
Two more coaches per 980 WTEM....

Joining Greg Williams, the following staff that was with him in Buffalo.... Tim Krumrie and Jerry Gray
Krumrie was the D-Line Coach and Gray was the Defensive Coordinator
Link to message board

yeah man, drugs. I feel reeeeeel good today. to a skins fan, today's drug of choice is ecstacy.what? the naysayers? sure, they'll be out there. can't wait to read what pastabelli writes. but for the most part people understand what the man has done all his life: win.can he do it again? oh yes. yes indeed. in today's NFL the X-factor is coaching. leading men to battle. skins fans know what the lack of these qualities will get you (thanks to spurrier).

I'm surprised to read that Len Pasquarelli is down on Gibbs' return. I personally think he's underestimating Gibbs but he brings up a few solid points.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1702628
Jason - I'm tempted to ask what Len was smoking - or is he so blinded by hate of the Danny that he is convinced that NO decision made by the Redskins can possibly be good??All of these points are thinly veiled slights that since Gibbs was in racing he can't coach anymore. I'm not a race fan, but Gibbs started winning in THAT sport almost immediately. And equating someone running a race team that sells space on their cars to doing a deal with the devil seems ludicrous. The main point for optimism seems to me to be that in the Parity Football League, a coach now makes even more of a difference than in the past. When Gibbs was in DC before, he did have certain advantages - Cooke spent more on the team than almost all other franchises, the support of the fans was great, etc. Now most of the those advantages are gone because of the salary cap and other rules. We will find out in Gibbs' caoching can make a major difference ala Parcells. But this article by Pasq. seems to me to be only bitter kvetching of someone who can't admit that someone who has made a lot of dumb moves can make a smart one.

I'm surprised to read that Len Pasquarelli is down on Gibbs' return. I personally think he's underestimating Gibbs but he brings up a few solid points.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1702628
Jason - I'm tempted to ask what Len was smoking - or is he so blinded by hate of the Danny that he is convinced that NO decision made by the Redskins can possibly be good??All of these points are thinly veiled slights that since Gibbs was in racing he can't coach anymore. I'm not a race fan, but Gibbs started winning in THAT sport almost immediately. And equating someone running a race team that sells space on their cars to doing a deal with the devil seems ludicrous. The main point for optimism seems to me to be that in the Parity Football League, a coach now makes even more of a difference than in the past. When Gibbs was in DC before, he did have certain advantages - Cooke spent more on the team than almost all other franchises, the support of the fans was great, etc. Now most of the those advantages are gone because of the salary cap and other rules. We will find out in Gibbs' caoching can make a major difference ala Parcells. But this article by Pasq. seems to me to be only bitter kvetching of someone who can't admit that someone who has made a lot of dumb moves can make a smart one.
I don't know either...I was surprised to see LP so vehemently against this situation. I feel like Gibbs didn't win 3 Super Bowls (with 3 different QBs) by accident, the guy's an offensive genius and, by my painful Eagles homer recollection, just about the best in game coach I'd ever seen. I don't think you forget that stuff. Now obviously the cap is a new issue, but "old school" guys like Vermeil and Parcells managed to handle the new era; in fact Parcells ran a tight cap ship when he was in charge of the Jets. I don't know if Gibbs will recapture the magic of the past, but if I were a Skins fan I don't see how this isn't MUCH better news that Rhodes, Green, Fassel or some unproven coordinator coming onboard and being controlled by Snyder.The thing that's most interesting to me, and what should please Skins fans the most, is that Gibbs is President too, having full control over the franchise. Joe Gibbs is just about the only guy on Earth Snyder would actually step aside for, and if that actually occurs, you've already gotten a bit better.Cheers

I don't know either...I was surprised to see LP so vehemently against this situation. I feel like Gibbs didn't win 3 Super Bowls (with 3 different QBs) by accident, the guy's an offensive genius and, by my painful Eagles homer recollection, just about the best in game coach I'd ever seen. I don't think you forget that stuff. Now obviously the cap is a new issue, but "old school" guys like Vermeil and Parcells managed to handle the new era; in fact Parcells ran a tight cap ship when he was in charge of the Jets. I don't know if Gibbs will recapture the magic of the past, but if I were a Skins fan I don't see how this isn't MUCH better news that Rhodes, Green, Fassel or some unproven coordinator coming onboard and being controlled by Snyder.The thing that's most interesting to me, and what should please Skins fans the most, is that Gibbs is President too, having full control over the franchise. Joe Gibbs is just about the only guy on Earth Snyder would actually step aside for, and if that actually occurs, you've already gotten a bit better.Cheers
There is talk about bringing in a GM like Savage or Wolf aboard. Gibbs in his old age can't handle it all, and doesn't have time for cap management and scouting. Being able to coach and have final say on personel with smart guys like Savage or Wolf running day to day would a be a lethal combination.

The thing that's most interesting to me, and what should please Skins fans the most, is that Gibbs is President too, having full control over the franchise. Joe Gibbs is just about the only guy on Earth Snyder would actually step aside for, and if that actually occurs, you've already gotten a bit better.Cheers
I agree that is probably the best part. I seriously doubt he will coach more than the five years in his contract. But, as President, he will be around to help select the new coach. Snyder has absolutely no ability to determine who the good, young coaching candidates are. Ideally, Snyder would be able to go out and select the next Joe Gibbs; a young coordinator that can turn things around immediately. But, he can't. He isn't capable. Hopefully, Gibbs will be capable of identifying who should be the next coach.

Did any DC folk see Bugel with George and Sonny last night? That guy is a trip. I forgot how much fun he is.

It was great to see Bugel out there last night. I still can't believe that we are going to get to see Gibbs on the sideline again. No disrespect to any Catholics out there, but for Skins fans this is like Jesus coming back and agreeing to be Pope.

My comment on Len P's article: It's not like Gibbs was retired. Gibbs was the CEO and Chairman of a 200 person company that he built from scratch. What will Gibbs do as the Team President? He will manage people who will scout, evaluate players, manage the salary cap, etc. Who knows if responsibilities such as travel arrangements, maintenance of training facilities, etc. fall under the Team President, but I do know Gibbs won't be doing any of that. There will be people who work for the higher ups doing the work.I hope that Gibbs delagates more in his 2nd stint as a HC, setting the direction of the team/practices, etc. and focus on playcalling, managing the game, etc. I hope he does not burn himself out like he did the last time.

The best thing about Spurrier leaving is that people will quit calling him the "Ole Ball Coach." His nickname was the "HEAD Ball Coach." Madden screwed that up and it stuck.

The Washington Post reported that Don Breaux will be the rb coach and Jack Burns will be qb coach. There is a good chance Gibbs son Coy will be on the staff. They are also interested in Russ Grimm if he is available.

Post Article

For some reason, the linked article does not include Burns in it.

It was great to see Bugel out there last night. I still can't believe that we are going to get to see Gibbs on the sideline again. No disrespect to any Catholics out there, but for Skins fans this is like Jesus coming back and agreeing to be Pope.
I don't think a lot of non-DC folk understand how big this is. It was the top story for the first 15 minutes of each news cast in the area. NBC is doing a special tonight at 7:30 about his return. It is the biggest sports story in the area since he left.

The other thing about the LP article is that Boss Hog Joe Bugel was in the league until 2001 when he got whacked when Marty took over in San Diego. He's been a HC twice (not to good results) but he's a GREAT assistant and OL coach.

I don't think a lot of non-DC folk understand how big this is. It was the top story for the first 15 minutes of each news cast in the area. NBC is doing a special tonight at 7:30 about his return. It is the biggest sports story in the area since he left.
No kidding. There were 2 front page stories about it in the Post this morning, and about 6 or 7 articles in the Sports section with a huge section headline "Return of the King".There are "welcome back coach" signs starting to line the road between D.C. and Redskins Park.In stature here, Gibbs even transcends being a great and legendary football coach. He's a permanent fixture in the history of Washington, D.C.The fact that he turned away from a similar position in Atlanta (which certainly would have been handed to him by Blank) where he owned a stake in the team, shows fans here a sense of loyalty that you rarely see in professional sports these days - anywhere.

Snyder is Sauron, and Gibbs will attempt to break his evil grip over the Redskins kingdom.The Nazgul - once-great kings tempted by Sauron's gold who have wreaked havoc on the Redskins kingdom for years - include Deion, Bruce Smith, Spurrier, and Jeff George.

Snyder is Sauron, and Gibbs will attempt to break his evil grip over the Redskins kingdom.The Nazgul - once-great kings tempted by Sauron's gold who have wreaked havoc on the Redskins kingdom for years - include Deion, Bruce Smith, Spurrier, and Jeff George.
IMO it is unfair to include Bruce Smith in with that group. Granted, his chase after the record was unseemly at best, but Bruce gave the Redskins 3 good years, at a very reasonable price, before sucking it up this season. His 29 sacks over the last 4 seasons are more than any other Redskin, and until this year when he started crying like a little #####, he has a good guy in the lockeroom. Clearly he's not the player he once was, and I am happy for everyone involved that he's retiring, but he still doesn't belong on the Nazgul list.

Users who are viewing this thread