Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

timschochet

Classic Rock Album Sweet 16 Divisions 2 and 3

classic rock   68 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favorite

• Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin II
    • Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here
  2. 2. Choose your favorite

• The Beatles- Abbey Road
    • The Rolling Stones- Let It Bleed
  3. 3. Choose Your Favorite

• Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin IV
    • The Beatles- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
  4. 4. Choose your favorite

• AC/DC- Back in Black
    • The Doors- The Doors

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

39 posts in this topic

Make your choices wisely. The fate of human civilization itself depends on the outcome!

This one was a bit easier for me than other bracket.

WYWH

Abbey

Pepper

Doors

As an aside, I just listened to Back In Black on the way home last night in its entirety for the first time in ages. Terrific straight forward hard rock with some killer riffs, but seemed a much bigger deal when I was 12 than now. Kind of generic, actually.

My two favorites off this list are Led Zep II and Wish You Were Here. :wall:

WYWHAbbeyPepperDoors

Great minds think alike.And oddly enough, so do ours...

This one was a bit easier for me than other bracket.

WYWH

Abbey

Pepper

Doors

As an aside, I just listened to Back In Black on the way home last night in its entirety for the first time in ages. Terrific straight forward hard rock with some killer riffs, but seemed a much bigger deal when I was 12 than now. Kind of generic, actually.

:confused:

This one was a bit easier for me than other bracket.WYWHAbbeyPepperDoors

Exactly the way I voted.

Zep II, Abbey Rd, Sgt. Pepper, The Doors

i didn't like abbey rd. being up against let it bleed. i love both albums.

i didn't like abbey rd. being up against let it bleed. i love both albums.

yeah simey there have been some brutal matchups in these threads, it's been hard to vote against quite a few.

i'll always love hells bells. :headbang:

Don't really want to vote for the fourth one. Neither has any place within two continents of this conversation, imo.

And odd that Wish You Were Here is here, seeing how it's arguably the weakest of the Meddle>Final Cut run. The most overrated of Floyd records, imo. If such a thing exists.

Zep II

Let It Bleed

Sgt. Pepper

Back in Black

i'll always love hells bells. :headbang:
One of my favorites, too, along with the second track "Shoot To Thrill". Kind of peters out a bit after that though, with the exception of the played-out title track and "You Shook Me All Night Long".

Wow, no love here for Led Zeppelin IV. I know it's going up against Sgt. Pepper. But IV is probably Led Zeppelin's greatest album. Every song is great IMO.

Wow, no love here for Led Zeppelin IV. I know it's going up against Sgt. Pepper. But IV is probably Led Zeppelin's greatest album. Every song is great IMO.

As we've discussed a lot in the Zep threads, lots of varying opinions on the greatest Zep album. Since it's a favorite thread, I imagine that most of the Western world is probably a bit tired of ZoSo - hence the voting. Besides, it's going up against a behemoth in its own right, so it's no slight to lose here.

Don't really want to vote for the fourth one. Neither has any place within two continents of this conversation, imo.

:goodposting:VotedLed Zeppelin IIAbbey RoadLed Zeppelin IVBack in BlackTough to vote against Wish You Were Here.

Right, and Sgt Pepper is probably the most commonly cited greatest album period. It was a tough call for me, but the answer was always going to be Pepper.

Voted for Sgt. Pepper's but surprised to see it have such a lead

II

Abbey Road

The Doors

WYWH is light years better than Zep II. There, I said it.

There, you're wrong. As great as WYWH is.

Yep. IMO, II is arguably Zep's best album.

Yep. IMO, II is arguably Zep's best album.
That's good, because it's about to be the only one left in the tourney.

You can say that about all of Zep's first 6 albums

If AC/DC had an obituary, this would pretty much be the first sentence, no?

Somebody is going to have to explain to me how "terrific hard rock" and "killer riffs" can be considered generic.

I can appreciate that the level of musicianship required to reproduce those songs is nowhere near that of a Gilmore, but consider that

Van Gogh's work was viewed by his peers in the same way, yet they are still masterpieces.

Somebody is going to have to explain to me how "terrific hard rock" and "killer riffs" can be considered generic.

I can appreciate that the level of musicianship required to reproduce those songs is nowhere near that of a Gilmore, but consider that

Van Gogh's work was viewed by his peers in the same way, yet they are still masterpieces.

I was saying generic to the extent that it seemed fresh back in 1980 - blew me away as a 12-year-old. But after hearing so much more AC/DC since then, it was basically similar riffs throughout most of their material. Just got kind of boring pretty quickly.

Floyd (the only PF album I'd rank over any of the others in this bracket, but it would've beaten all except the 2 Beatles, the Stones, and ZoSo)

Beatles

Beatles

AC/DC (would've voted ZoSo if it had been in this matchup or the first)

I was saying generic to the extent that it seemed fresh back in 1980 - blew me away as a 12-year-old. But after hearing so much more AC/DC since then, it was basically similar riffs throughout most of their material. Just got kind of boring pretty quickly.
I agree. I lost interest in most of the stuff they did after BIB. It's that way with a lot of rock for me. When people ask me why I don't have a lot of new stuff in my collection, I have to explain to them why it feels like I've already heard it all before.

The old stuff still sounds fresh to me because I gave up on radio 30 years ago and I have a big enough collection that, even though I listen to music at least an hour per day, there's nothing I listen to more than 1 or 2 times a year.

A classic is a classic. You never hear anybody say "Oh, not Mozart again! That stuff is SO overplayed." I think of a lot of rock in the same way.

A classic is a classic. You never hear anybody say "Oh, not Mozart again! That stuff is SO overplayed." I think of a lot of rock in the same way.

There are certain classical pieces that are totally overplayed. My dad used to complain that the classical radio station had the equivalent of a "Top 40" format where they would play the same stuff repeatedly and ignore slightly more obscure stuff. I would give some examples but I don't know much about classical.

There are certain classical pieces that are totally overplayed. My dad used to complain that the classical radio station had the equivalent of a "Top 40" format where they would play the same stuff repeatedly and ignore slightly more obscure stuff. I would give some examples but I don't know much about classical.
Classical radio has about 9 people listening to it at any given time. If they were to move out of the top-40 for obscure stuff, they would likely lose 8 of the listeners.

Beethoven's #5, Bach's Brandenburg concertos, Vivaldi's 4 Seasons are a few that they overplay.

I would never complain about

I would never complain about
Cartoons did teach us the classics if nothing else.

Classical radio has about 9 people listening to it at any given time. If they were to move out of the top-40 for obscure stuff, they would likely lose 8 of the listeners.
Sure, I know why they do it. I'm just saying that Flying V is wrong that people don't complain that famous classical pieces are overplayed. I suspect it's actually a fairly common complaint of classical music fans. If it was famous enough to be featured in a Bugs Bunny cartoon, there are folks out there complaining that it's overplayed.

We really need to do a classical music in cartoons thread, if it hasn't already been done.

We really need to do a classical music in cartoons thread, if it hasn't already been done.

They did save a lot of copyright fees by using public domain songs.

That's what I love about this place; you can never be too sure.

That's what I love about this place; you can never be too sure.
Just did a search for "classical" and didn't find such a thread, so it's on...