JMon348

Backgammon

283 posts in this topic

By doing a search I could see that the interest in this game is very minimal here. Hopefully this thread grows with players, and hopefully introduce the game to others.

I've played backgammon for a long time, had many gaps of inactivity, but have recently been playing, studying, and strategically thinking about it more than I ever have.

Maybe in here we can organize tourneys(I play on yahoo), discuss strategies, etc.

As an opening question I'd like to throw out, what is the best/your opening move for a roll of 6,4?

Expecting crickets, but hopefully I will be surprised.

Edited by 8ebok24

8/2 6/2 :scared:

This game is simple if you just play for single point. When you use the doubler it can get really complex. You need to have a very good feel for probablities to stay in a doubler game

I used to play backgammon, about 35 years ago with one of my sisters, but I don't anymore. I've always enjoyed the game and would like to teach it to my son; any ideas on how to present this to him. I have almost no recollection of the rules but have tried to play some games with him. I think the hardest part of trying to teach a child a game is when you have a limited grasp yourself because there is little passion that comes out for them to see. Do you have a website, or online group, that you would recommend? I do not have any strategies to offer but am curious on how you bet/score the game; any suggestions?

8/2 6/2 :scared:This game is simple if you just play for single point. When you use the doubler it can get really complex. You need to have a very good feel for probablities to stay in a doubler game

I always did 8/2 6/2, but now I'm using 24/18 13/9, and I like it much more. 8/2 6/2 is pretty useless without some lucky/unlucky rolls for your opponent. Agree about the double cube. My friends and I use to use it, but it just got crazy after awhile involving cash. We play single point all the time now. Using the cube is almost an entirely different game.What about a 6,5 roll. Lover's leap? That's the standard, I experiment with a 24/18, 13/8, and I like that too. It always seems like I get trapped if I use the lover's leap.

8/2 6/2 :scared:This game is simple if you just play for single point. When you use the doubler it can get really complex. You need to have a very good feel for probablities to stay in a doubler game

My impression has been that the doubling cube is at least half of the strategy

My impression has been that the doubling cube is at least half of the strategy
I'm not very good. I basically just camp on a doubling game waiting for a huge roll or a mistake to hit. On a non doubling game I just swing for the fences.

I used to play backgammon, about 35 years ago with one of my sisters, but I don't anymore. I've always enjoyed the game and would like to teach it to my son; any ideas on how to present this to him. I have almost no recollection of the rules but have tried to play some games with him. I think the hardest part of trying to teach a child a game is when you have a limited grasp yourself because there is little passion that comes out for them to see. Do you have a website, or online group, that you would recommend? I do not have any strategies to offer but am curious on how you bet/score the game; any suggestions?

To get your feel back for the game, I recommend playing some games on yahoo, I'm sure it will all come back to you have some games. My favorite website I use for strategies and discussion is http://www.bkgm.com/. Everything you need to know is right there.

I mostly play on yahoo. I have 2 friends who play and when we get together we throw cash down on every game and play for hours. We play first to five wins without a doubling cube. Clearing all your blots before your opponent has cleared one is worth two wins.

I taught my sister this weekend, and she seemed to enjoy it. It's going to take time, just like with any game. Just be patient, explain each move, and basic strategies. Also just like any game, you just have to keep playing and eventually they will grasp it.

Used to play this like crazy in college. Light one up with friends and play some gammon. Miss it.

I've got Backgammon on my phone. Great timewaster.

easiest way to learn is on iphong apps. I can now dominate the computer on all but the "Computer gets a never ending string of doubles" difficulty.

easiest way to learn is on iphong apps. I can now dominate the computer on all but the "Computer gets a never ending string of doubles" difficulty.

:goodposting: That's another great learning tool. Just be sure to turn off your "markers" or you will be lost playing live.

If we do some sort of backgammon tourney, I'm in. I got into the game around 2001-2002, then stopped playing pretty abruptly and have barely played since then. But I like it a lot.

ETA: Gotta use the doubling cube. The tourney should be something like head-to-head matches to nine or something.

Edited by Wrighteous Ray

I've never read a word of strategy on the game but play several times a week at expert level (vs. other "expert" human players) on whatever backgammon game came on my computer. I usually play that + spades at the same time. :bag:

if i'm understanding what 8/2 6/2 means, that is usually what I do also. I don't always do that though. 65 I go with lover's leap, again, assuming I understand what that means.

if i'm understanding what 8/2 6/2 means, that is usually what I do also. I don't always do that though. 65 I go with lover's leap, again, assuming I understand what that means.

Yeah 8/2 6/2 is capturing the 2 row of your "home". People don't really like it because it's too far advanced and almost pointless with your 3,4, and 5 uncovered. Lover's leap is your 24 to 13.

Yeah 8/2 6/2 is capturing the 2 row of your "home". People don't really like it because it's too far advanced and almost pointless with your 3,4, and 5 uncovered. Lover's leap is your 24 to 13.
DefenseWinsChampionships

okay, then yes, this is normally what i do for opening move 64 and 65 rolls.

I usually do 8/2 and 6/2, but I can see the thought in not doing it that way. I am one that often tries to get single guys into the 9-11 spot for future pairings.

Regarding a tourney, I would be in. I tried organizing one about a year ago, but it didn't garner any interest.

what other move do you really have with a 64 roll? you can send your 24 to 14 i guess. i will occasionally do that, but not often.

what other move do you really have with a 64 roll? you can send your 24 to 14 i guess. i will occasionally do that, but not often.
Jailbreak the 24 is the agressive option. Problem is you are married to moving that guy the next go if he's not taken out....It's early so lots of people like to gamble early on. If you are white then if color has more than a 2 to hit you then I'd never do it. Edited by culdeus

24 to 1813 to 9It really sets up well. It's overaggressive but I like it a lot. Lover's leap is the correct play, I just always seem to get unlucky and get trapped.

As far as a tourney goes. I'm in.

Where do you guys play? Yahoo?

i love all games that have reasonable strategies, but find backgammon boring, kinda like blackjack.

the only entertaining version for me would be for cash with the doubling cube, and then, snowed in, with a hot chick, a warm fire and some scotch.

sorry. :shrug:

24 to 1813 to 9It really sets up well. It's overaggressive but I like it a lot. Lover's leap is the correct play, I just always seem to get unlucky and get trapped.
interesting.

Thanks for explaining that! I've gone through periods such as Socrates described, playing all the time, but have been too busy for recent years and don't have anyone around interested in the game any more--maybe any board games if they're not computerized. Even when I played it was straight up, no doubling or anything. Pittsdownkiller--I always got my first born involved with games, and backgammon was a natural. He also liked chess, but I never got him too interested in either cribbage or card games--all of which were staples in my own household growing up. Once kids become interested in any of them I think it's easier to go to others from there, and I'd say backgammon is relatively easy to learn. Of course--once the NES came out he and I were both hooked on some of those games! Edited by glumpy

id be in for a tourney if we had a "not very good" category.

I'm in for a tourney. :thumbup:

Bump for the late night crowd.Do you play on yahoo?

In for Tourney:

8ebok24

UniAlias

gmbacm

bryhamm

Wrighteous Ray

Let me know if you want in......

Backgammon tourney... Jeez, what are we a nursing home?

Just kidding. Cool idea.

i'm in, but I suck so make sure I play uni the first round so I have a chance.

In for Tourney:

8ebok24

UniAlias

gmbacm

bryhamm

Wrighteous Ray

culdeus

spoofy

Does everyone have a Yahoo account?

In for Tourney:8ebok24UniAliasgmbacmbryhammWrighteous RayculdeusspoofyDoes everyone have a Yahoo account?

i have a yahoo account. have not played games on there in years (used to play chess).

In for Tourney:

8ebok24

UniAlias

gmbacm

bryhamm

Wrighteous Ray

culdeus

spoofy

Does everyone have a Yahoo account?

:hey:

In for Tourney:8ebok24UniAliasgmbacmbryhammWrighteous RayculdeusspoofyDoes everyone have a Yahoo account?

i have a yahoo account. have not played games on there in years (used to play chess).
I'm in. Never played gammon on yahoo, only spades years ago.

HTH did I miss this thread? In with a Yahoo! spam account. :thumbup:

Edited by Osaurus